Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17: Exquisite Corpse

Heh, the CW finally put out a more detailed episode description:

When Eva Sinclair’s reemergence leaves Rebekah trapped and helpless, Klaus is forced to put aside his mistrust for Freya in order to save Rebekah’s life. Meanwhile, Hayley and Elijah learn more about Eva’s violent past from Josephine, who then makes a startling revelation about Hayley’s future. With time running out to save Rebekah, Marcel turns to a reluctant Vincent for his help to take down Eva, but his plan takes an unexpected turn, as Eva will not go down without a fight.

Inside the episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEdgoa97Iac

(edited)

Well, aren't Klaus and Freya cut from the same cloth?  Man, that's heavy levels of power and darkness.  Who knew Klaus and Ester were totally right?  I think she may begin to fray the family apart, but I don't imagine she'll succeed in totally turning al against Klaus.

I really, really like Vincent.  I think he's crazy flawed and interesting.  As many have been saying since he's been on, the actor makes him compelling.  That said, I'm fearful he's going to eat it anytime now.  Sigh.

Yay! Davina's okay!  Can we work on getting Kol back?!  Anyone?

While I might agree with what Gia said, I also wanted Haley to be "so you've had some convos and sexed him and you are an Elijah expert?"  Also, Haley should calm it down on throwing shade.  She's married and having sex with Jackson.  Pot, kettle much?

Good hour.  Back on course and moving nice and quick.

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 1
(edited)

Baby Hope has the best side eye in the entire Mikaelson family.  That reaction shot of her in the cradle post-fight was hilarious.

Freya is the big bad I've been waiting for: clever, focused, and with a self-righteous chip on her shoulder to rival Klaus'.  She is smarter than him and stronger than him and her patience is limitless.  I hope she grinds him into dust.  

This episode proved that Joseph Morgan is the cause of all that inappropriate sibling chemistry.  I thought he'd make out with Freya and Evabekah, maybe Esther too.  I don't even think he's that attractive, but Klaus is incapable of interacting with any member of his family and not appear like he's about to jump their bones. I guess he and Daniel Gilles counteract each other?  They somehow manage to both smolder in the same scenes. 

Was Phoebe Tonkin aware that the cameras were rolling?  She couldn't even manage reaction shots in this episode, just blank stare after blank stare after blank stare.  I don't remember her, or her accent, being this bad on "The Secret Circle."  What the hell happened?

Edited by Lila82
  • Love 5

Great episode. Freya's great, such a good addition. Love her and Klaus in scenes together.

I guess mother dearest was the death? I loved Klaus and Elijah refusing to let Rebeckha die and Klaus's freaking out when she wasn't waking up. He showed his love.

Missed Jackson. 

(edited)

Time and again, I go back to Cami's assessment of Klaus: "You are the architect of your own unhappiness." That insecurity and paranoia combined with his threats of violence are his m.o. which makes it understandable why someone like Freya, who hasn't learned to put up with it over the centuries, is having none of it. I suppose I should give Klaus some credit for not even trying to hide the fact that he didn't trust Freya but it seemed ridiculous that his strategy was "Will you help me get our sister back? Oh, it's too hard now? I WILL SKIN YOU ALIVE! So will you help me or not?"

Baby Hope has the best side eye in the entire Mikaelson family.  That reaction shot of her in the cradle post-fight was hilarious.

I was laughing so hard (and so inappropriately considering that it was a scene where a baby was almost kidnapped). First when Eva came into the nursery and was looking down at the baby in the crib, Hope gave her the most hilarious "da fuq?" look. Then after Eva fled and Hayley and Klaus were looking into the crib, Hope gave them a look like, "Gawd, you guys."

The casting for this show has been really great. Yusef Gatewood has done a great job of making Vincent completely different from Finn.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

This show continues to get better and better, love love love it. MVP Honors for this week are baby Hope, her expressions in her crib were made of Awesome. And I cannot believe this but I actually missed Jackson. And we were Cami-free again, yay!

I so enjoy Elijah's scenes with The Grunwald, er, Josephine LaRue. She does not take anyone's BS even if it's wrapped up in such a pretty package like Elijah. ;-)

I cannot help it, Klaus may be charming at times and funny at times but I reeeeeaaaaly still want Freya and/or Dahlia to knock him down many pegs. Freya breaking off those chains like they were nothing was fantastic and I liked that she confronted her mother about giving her up as a child. So I guess Esther is really now all dead and not undead? It makes me happy that Mikael is still alive and kicking. He is, right?? I thought he was doing off-screen stuff for Freya. And Freya now being a part of The Grunwald's coven has got to be something Freya planned.

I'm beyond happy that Vincent was not killed, ya'll know I LOVE YG. Eva's mind was one scary ass place, Rebekah trapped in there as a child really unnerved me. Glad that she is back and that she and the producers/writers did not forget about her promise to Kol.

Phoebe Tonkin is still the worst. Still hoping that Klaus finds himself a single parent soon after whatever epic battle is coming up.

• Love 2
(edited)

I so enjoy Elijah's scenes with The Grunwald, er, Josephine LaRue. She does not take anyone's BS even if it's wrapped up in such a pretty package like Elijah. ;-)

I enjoyed their scene.  "What does this one do?" as if to say, "Oh lovely.  Another dancing monkey.  They have been fun, proceed."  And then her (paraphrasing, of course) " Your voice is wonderful and your delivery a delight.  But your content is shit."  The Grunwald is the best.

I cannot help it, Klaus may be charming at times and funny at times but I reeeeeaaaaly still want Freya and/or Dahlia to knock him down many pegs. Freya breaking off those chains like they were nothing was fantastic and I liked that she confronted her mother about giving her up as a child. 

I loved the bit with the chains.  She was playing along to make Klaus feel in control and then she just ran out of fucks for him.   

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 1

I don't get why Klaus doesn't get (like Grunwald or whatever said) the vamps/Originals NEED the witche, the witches do NOT need them. Witches have proven to trump him at every opportunity for two straight years. Davina stayed your ass and she was just a young angry harvest girl, why do you think you shouldn't be kissing Freya ass, or at least pretending much more convincingly? Of course it's that sort of wounded irrational puppy part of him that makes me sort of pull for him at the same time I root for other people to beat him down, he really is a wonderfully unique kind of main character, and I think Joseph always gives Klaus just enough moments of  humanity, and vulnerability to make you want to see him evolve. 

Such as in his Klebekah scenes, and yes he was also horking crazy sex vibes at Esther AND Freya, but nothing like the goo goo eyes at Rebekah. 

Oh and Phoebe sucked ass on The Secret Circle too, I wish we had the far far superior Shelly Henig and Teen Wolf got stuck with Tonkin.

• Love 3

Does Dahlia travel by foot?  How long does it take one witch to get to New Orleans in the age of airplanes?  

And yeah, Joseph Morgan and his crazy sex vibes.  Is it like this with everyone and we only notice the sibling/mommy thing because that's taboo, or is he just sex vibing with his family on purpose?  It's insane, in the best possible way.  

• Love 2
(edited)

While I might agree with what Gia said, I also wanted Hayley to be "so you've had some convos and sexed him and you are an Elijah expert?"  Also, Hayley should calm it down on throwing shade.  She's married and having sex with Jackson.  Pot, kettle much?

I found the Haylijah stuff pretty jarring in this episode. I mean, I know the wedding was only a few eps back, but all the show has done in that time is to attempt to show a deep bond growing between Hayley and Jackson, and in this ep it's like none of that ever happened.

It's funny, because when you're rooting for a couple, I guess this is the kind of thing you want to see--the interloper made to feel uncomfortable and to acknowledge the Deep Important Feelings between the OTP or whatever. But I did root for H/E for a time, and damn if this episode didn't do the opposite for me. It just hammered the final nail in that coffin. I was so irritated with Hayley the entire episode and her uncalled-for rudeness to Gia and moony faces at Elijah who deserves better.

So Gia spouting some nonsense about how she sees Elijah's feelings for Hayley didn't make me annoyed at Gia herself; it made me annoyed that the writers are forcing her into this weak-ass position of having to prop up the H/E eternal bond or whatever. Listen up, writers of romance: it will never be appealing for the person who chooses to leave a relationship (or not enter one in the first place) to interfere with the other party's attempts to move on. Now I dislike Hayley, and I was one of the few people who still held out some measure of regard for her. BLECH.

Otherwise, I was delighted with Vincent and Eva/Rebekah. They are such strong performers, and I feel lucky to have them on this show. Not impressed at all with Freya--what even is this accent she's attempting?

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 3

I was so irritated with Hayley the entire episode and her uncalled-for rudeness to Gia and moony faces at Elijah who deserves better.

I agree.  I had to shake my head at Hayley calling Gia a baby vamp, when she isn't a whole lot older than Gia. 

Listen up, writers of romance: it will never be appealing for the person who chooses to leave a relationship (or not enter one in the first place) to interfere with the other party's attempts to move on.

I've never figured out why people think this makes anyone look good or is some interpretation of twu luv.  You made a choice, now be a grown up about it. 

Otherwise, I was delighted with Vincent and Eva/Rebekah. They are such strong performers, and I feel lucky to have them on this show. Not impressed at all with Freya--what even is this accent she's attempting?

This show did manage to find a couple of gems with these two.  Somehow they manage to fit in as though they've been there all along.  I've said before I like the idea of Freya, but the actress is still not doing it for me. 

On a shallow note, was it just me, or was everyone looking particularly attractive this ep?

Oh and cuz it needs to be said....one week to Claudia Frelling Black!

• Love 2

My ex calls this show "Super Sexy Surly Supernaturals Suitable for All Tastes and Persuasions." Accurate, and yet the cast is incredibly talented, especially for a network known for pretty faces.

Is it just me, or does baby Hope actually kind of look like Phoebe Tonkin?

I found the Haylijah stuff pretty jarring in this episode. I mean, I know the wedding was only a few eps back, but all the show has done in that time is to attempt to show a deep bond growing between Hayley and Jackson, and in this ep it's like none of that ever happened.

I know! 

I mean I already think Hayley is enough of a classless dick without the additional piling on, writers!

Essentially Gia is there to help you and Elijah get additional protection for your child in the form of Rebekah.... So maybe put your big girl pants on and behave.

I understand they writers clearly think she's "sassy" and "strong" but between the slouching, the accent, and the sexy looks I just can't with her anymore.

Your wedding was less than a month ago!!!! Stop calling Elijah!!!    Ugggggg.... Can we take Gia and get rid of Haley and Cami?

I think I might have fell a little in love with Freya when she broke the chains and made the comment about the upgraded model.  The actress really pulled off the subtle difference in her demeanor when she had enough of the Klauss-ness.  (I repeat SUBTLE- Tonkin I'm looking at you...).

Vincent awesome as usual.

Was I the only one picturing The grunwald 50 years ago totally being up Elijah's alley?  Now that would have been some chemistry!

• Love 2
(edited)

So Gia spouting some nonsense about how she sees Elijah's feelings for Hayley didn't make me annoyed at Gia herself; it made me annoyed that the writers are forcing her into this weak-ass position of having to prop up the H/E eternal bond or whatever. Listen up, writers of romance: it will never be appealing for the person who chooses to leave a relationship (or not enter one in the first place) to interfere with the other party's attempts to move on. Now I dislike Hayley, and I was one of the few people who still held out some measure of regard for her. BLECH.

Yes! That scene reminded me of that episode in TVD, when Stephan sends Elena on a road trip with Damon to explore her feelings. It was all fine until we had Ghost Rose dictating why Elena is drawn to Damon and why hey it might not be such a bad thing for Delena to happen (haha!)

I feel very stupid when writers do stuff like this and it's very frustrating.

We know that Elijah took care of everyone all his life, it's his thing, like literally the first thing we ever knew about him was that he wanted Elena as leverage to save his brothers and sisters from being daggered by Klaus. So, yes, I think we were able to figure out that his hook up with Gia was the first time in a long time he gets to have something for himself. And I really liked that little development, I was happy for him. until Gia had to rub it in our nose and throw it in our face and make us watch a slide presentation about it.

Edited by raytch
  • Love 1
(edited)

Klaus oozes inappropriate chemistry with everybody, not just family. I'd include Marcel and Stefan to the list. But it's a little more with Rebekah. There's an odd bit of twisted romantic interest there that I haven't even seen with his actual romantic teases (Camille and Caroline). It's interesting stuff, but seeing as this is CW and not HBO, it's not likely the show is going there. 

I'm impressed with Freya. Though I hope this isn't the last we've seen of Esther. But between the Mikaelson sisters and Vincent, there are a lot of characters I love on the show, which is super...and can't be said about most other shows on this network.  

Another great episode, per usual.

Oh and Phoebe sucked ass on The Secret Circle too, I wish we had the far far superior Shelly Henig and Teen Wolf got stuck with Tonkin.

I wouldn't say she sucked, but she's not the most exciting actress on the network. I don't have any of the issues others have with Hayley, since she's no more or less awful than any of the other characters, but unfortunately Phoebe is the weakest link in terms of acting and weaksauce in her onscreen appeal. If only we had Shelly for the role. It's rather unfortunate that Teen Wolf snags so many great actresses and often wastes them.

Edited by driedfruit
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm still happy about it. The only thing I care about on this show is Gia and Elijah, I don't think she was rubbing anything in anyone's face, Hayley is the queen of that. The organic Marcel captained shipnof Gilijah gives me great joy. It truly is something Elijah deserves, finally someone who puts him first and looks at him like she's crazy about him and someone who has NO interest in any of his brothers.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

True I like Gia so far better than all the other female characters on this show (minus Rebecca and Davina), my frustration is the writers who feel like we can't figure things out on our own so they have the characters spill it out for us.

So I decided I liked Freya when she threw shade at Klaus after she snapped his neck. She sounded just like him which is hilarious. But. I'm wondering...how does she think she's going to turn them against him exactly? He has repeatedly daggered them both, killed people they loved, and basically treated them like crap and yet they still come back for more? What could she do that KLAUS hasn't already done himself?

• Love 1

True I like Gia so far better than all the other female characters on this show (minus Rebecca and Davina), my frustration is the writers who feel like we can't figure things out on our own so they have the characters spill it out for u

It actually amazes me how great the casting department is for this show, but somehow glaring errors in judgment were made for the choice of actresses for Cami and Hayley.   Don't get me wrong the writing isn't doing either of them any favors but better acting could go a long way in helping the characters.

how does she think she's going to turn them against him exactly? He has repeatedly daggered them both, killed people they loved, and basically treated them like crap and yet they still come back for more? What could she do that KLAUS hasn't already done himself?

I was thinking the same thing. What she saw in his head must have convinced her that he is just like her so obviously an alliance would never, ever work. And I believe she will come close but ultimately the Klaus-bond will win out for the reasons you stated. It withstood a thousand years of abuse and he will still always be the brother they grew up with and she will still always be the outsider. Heck, Finn is a brother they grew up with, too, and they all collectively severed that emotional bond.   

• Love 1

It actually amazes me how great the casting department is for this show, but somehow glaring errors in judgment were made for the choice of actresses for Cami and Hayley.   Don't get me wrong the writing isn't doing either of them any favors but better acting could go a long way in helping the characters.

I think Leah Pipes does a fine job of portraying Cami, I think that the writing has largely failed her character.  Hayley annoys me because she's just been handed the position of alpha without having to put any of the work in and her part in the hybrid massacre in the Vampire Diaries has been completely swept under the rug.  And Phoebe Tonkin just isn't doing a good job of acting here.  Funny, I really liked Faye on The Secret Circle (which should've gotten another season!).

It was really cruel of Klaus to say that he was glad Freya was given away because he was an "upgrade" so I'm glad Freya shut him down at the end.

I agree that Leah Pipes does fine--I just think the character is a poor fit for this show. Cami just doesn't have the depth or emotional heft the others have. And I can see the idea of having a lighter-hearted, more down-to-earth character on the show, but frankly, Davina* and Gia** both fit that bill better than Cami does. They're both more complex characters whose rough edges blend better with the others. Cami just doesn't have those sharp notes, the deep-down bitterness, the rage. There's just something missing. And she has reason to be that way--what happened to her brother, her uncle, what's happened to her. But they just write her as this dishrag. I don't actively hate her or resent her presence or anything, but I know that when she's not in an episode, I don't miss her a bit.

*I think Danielle Campbell is a weaker actress than LP, and still I am way more invested in Davina than Cami, and the writing for her character has a lot to do with that. Davina also has appealing chemistry with Marcel, NuKol, Josh, Bex. I don't feel much chemistry--platonic or romantic--between Cami and others.

**Gia is a great example of the opposite--of the actress doing all the heavy lifting, while the writing mostly fails her. There is almost nothing to this character--no backstory, really. She's a musician and seemingly an orphan/runaway, right? Otherwise, we really don't know a whole lot about her. But from the first moment, I felt deep sadness in her, a desire to connect, to belong somewhere. And her chemistry with other actors has been immediate and excellent. Obviously with Elijah, and Marcel as friends, but even with someone like Josephine. Like, I believe this ancient, jaded woman would be taken with Gia, because who wouldn't be? She's the best. That's why the scene in this episode where Gia has to sell the Great Haylijah Romance was so off-putting. I believe Gia would feel lesser than Hayley--she clearly has confidence issues and she got with Elijah knowing he was heartbroken. That's fine. But like I said, having her say that to Hayley, and having Hayley accept it as though it's true and correct just makes me dislike Hayley and feel pissed at the writers for putting Gia in that position. Fingers crossed the EPs like Gia as much as I do, and treat her better going forward.

• Love 3

Just got into the show on Netflix....I can't stand Davina and haven't been able to since the beginning.  I have liked Rebekah since TVD...and am curious how she gets out of that horrid witch's body.  I am intrigued by Elijah and Marcel has grown on me.  Gia and Elijah could be interesting together, maybe just for a fling but it's kind of fun.  At first I thought Gia was annoying but I'm glad she's a little outspoken and not over the top with it.