Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E22: Echo Valley Meats, EmazingLights, AquaVault, Naja

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

She said all the bras were made by single moms. Is it legal to announce you only hire single moms? I'm pretty sure you would not get away with announcing you do NOT hire single moms, so why is it ok to refuse to hire anyone else? That's discriminating against men, women who aren't mothers, mothers who are married, etc. Or is it the kind of thing that won't get enforced until someone sues?

In regards to humanitarian programs its considered quite legal to only hire a select group to do a certain task in regards to a skill. Or even regular companies if they state they have a particular need for that group because they are best suited for the task. For instance the CIA only hires blind people to man the cafeteria registers. Or newspaper recycling centers have blind people do the handling of the newspapers. Bottling companies hire mentally handicapped people to do the bottle inspection for example. A number of companies found that high tech machines that cost tens of millions of dollars often missed things such as mice or insects that got into the bottles of coca cola before the liquid deliciousness was inserted. A mentally handicapped person they found could be trained to have a laser like focus and yank out the bottles with the stuff that shouldn't be in there. Due to animal rights activists monkeys couldn't be used even though they were also found to be effective at the task.

Edited by nobodyyoucare

Interesting. Though, I think it would be difficult to argue that single mothers are best suited to sewing. So you're left with just the humanitarian aid argument. Obviously charities are allowed to focus on certain groups for aid, but I don't know how that works for offering jobs. If its a standard thing, then I guess she's ok. Its just not something I know much about, and it struck me as odd. I have heard of a few lawsuits against companies that refused to hire men in certain positions (though obviously the more famous lawsuits are about refusing to hire women), so i'm unclear how its ok to say "single moms" instead of at least "single parents." And then, beyond that, I thought parental status was also a protected class. Like, typically the issue is discriminating against people who DO have kids (in housing, etc), but doesn't that mean the reverse is technically illegal as well? 

Edited by LeGrandElephant
  • Love 1

Unfortunately the Aqua Vault is only good for places that have stationary furniture or something heavy enough to not be movable.  Absolutely worthless if you take a blanket to the beach, throw it on the sand, drop your stuff, then head to the waves.   Their only market is cruise ships and hotels with pools. 

I thought the gloves were a ridiculous novelty.  "Gloving" is a "sport"?  Seriously?  I do see the idea of using them for traffic cops, though.  And stadium parking attendants.

Agreed on both.  Even on a cruise ship or resort beach, what's to stop someone from dragging your lawn chair away to their spot, accidentally or not?  Do they come with whiteboard panels to write your name on, or tags, like a rental stroller at Disneyland?  How does the cruise ship keep you from hogging a lawn chair all cruise, with your locker on it?  

I thought the lingerie was ugly.  And the dog on the crotch was gross, same for the sayings.  And I wanted someone to tell her that even us women who buy pretty stuff for our own eyes don't have eyes inside our bras or panties.  She was just obnoxious.  I was so glad to see her deal-less.  

I'm tired of the charity apparel trend, too.  I'll give to the charities of my own choice.  I don't need to feel like a humanitarian when I buy socks, or show the world I'm socially conscious.  

I'll give to the charities of my own choice.  I don't need to feel like a humanitarian when I buy socks, or show the world I'm socially conscious.

Its a marketing gimick to appeal to people who inwardly feel guilty about being white or being in the first world. Much like dolphin safe tuna (in which the dead dolphins are just removed and tossed into the sea rather then be processed into the tuna) most of this socially conscious stuff does more harm then good. http://www.cracked.com/article_19123_6-socially-conscious-actions-that-only-look-like-they-help.html 

• Love 4

I was also confused about the design being on the inside. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.  If I was going to put on a pretty bra, when I look in the mirror, I want to see the pretty design.  Having it be on the inside does nothing.  And yes, I buy pretty bras for myself, not for whoever else might see them.  So that just seemed like a 'cool' idea she came up with that should have been discarded as soon as someone thought about it for more than two seconds.

Regarding the low percentage of people coming back to buy more.  I recently found a bra I really liked and have bought three of them in the last two months.  If they were the best fitting bras, I think she'd have more of a return business.

the $60.  I understand thinking you need to charge $60 so your bra doesn't seem like some cheap thing you buy at Target, but then spend more on fabric and pay your people more.  There's no need for that kind of mark up, as least not to me. 

Edited by sadiegirl
  • Love 4

Regarding the low percentage of people coming back to buy more.  I recently found a bra I really liked and have bought three of them in the last two months.  If they were the best fitting bras, I think she'd have more of a return business.

That's what I was trying to get at in my previous post. If I had purchased one of her bras and liked it I would have gone back to pick up more in case her business went out of business.

• Love 1

That's because Maidenform is crap. Generally, my bras last about a year, but I rotate about three high-quality bras and wash them in a delicates bag in the washer (which is the lazy woman's way to wash a bra--you're supposed to hand-wash them, but come on), not loosely in the washer and never, ever, ever, ever dry them in the dryer--that's the kiss of death for a bra.

• Love 2

I don't know if obnoxious is even strong enough for her. Has there ever been anybody worse?

The guy that had the magnets to keep the collars of men's shirts down.  Barbara and Daymond invested with him.  Great product but the guy had Aspberger's or something.  He was incredibly rude and I remember him throwing his hand up to Daymond with a "whatever!"  Just thinking about him makes me stabby.

inspirational quotes for your hoo-ha. 

Ha ha!  This makes me think of the Sex and the City episode where Charlotte is diagnosed with a depressed vagina. 

I actually thought her bras and knickers were very pretty.  I don't think $60 is out of line for a bra when you consider what Victoria's Secret and other stores charge.   I am very loyal too but I have the opposite problem several of you posters do.  I am on the small side and have a terrible time finding a bra that is comfortable and fits me properly without completely flattening me out. 

The lady's valuation was completely jacked though.  If she had been more realistic, even as argumentative as she was, she clearly still would have gotten a deal with Daymond.

I didn't get the glove thing at all.  Glad I'm not the only one.  Sure, they are cool to look at.  For a hot minute.  But to buy?  Never. 

Edited by psychoticstate
  • Love 1

That's because Maidenform is crap. Generally, my bras last about a year, but I rotate about three high-quality bras and wash them in a delicates bag in the washer (which is the lazy woman's way to wash a bra--you're supposed to hand-wash them, but come on), not loosely in the washer and never, ever, ever, ever dry them in the dryer--that's the kiss of death for a bra.

All my bras are long, long dead then.  ; )

I wonder how you wash those gloves?  I recently bought some manicure gloves and let me tell ya... cotton gloves get dirty quickly.  I can imagine especially while break dancing in a club or a street.  I suppose the lights are removable. 

Maybe glove guy and bra girl should get together and put out some LED bras.  With the lights on the inside, maybe. 

The dog head (and koala head) are printed right above the crotch. Gross. Who but a teenager would wear that? And, yeah, the fortune cookie is just tacky.

Oh, but think of the opportunities for picking up men in bars - "I have a terrier in my pants" or "I have a koala under my skirt."  (You may have guessed that I have been married for a long, long time)

And, if you are going to print sayings on a crotch, at least aim for funny or crotch-related instead of inspirational - things like "if you can read this, you should probably wash your hands soon" or "hey, it's shark week!" or "slippery when wet" or "does something smell fishy in here?"

I am much lazier than you.  Throw them (playtex) in the washer with everything else, throw them in the dryer with everything else.  They last over a year (I don't keep exact track, but I haven't bought any in a while). I end up tossing them when the underwire breaks (no, I am not that big), the fabric is still in great shape.  Pay around $23 for each one.  

• Love 1

That does it. We need a crotch quote thread. It really ought to be a contest. Winner gets fortune cookie knickers.

How about a camel pic on the front.  Or just random wildlife feet and hooves.  Like day of the week panties.  Toe of the week.  

Thinking of my long, long dead bras, I think I would like some with zombie graphics.  And LED lights.  

Edited by Guest

A couple of posts have been hidden that veered into a debate about the worthiness of single mothers. 

Yes, the Naya presenter brought up the topic and feel free to discuss whether you like / dislike / are indifferent to that part of her pitch and company. Please leave out any sweeping judgments though as that's not cool.

Thanks

I have no interest in gloving, but the guy's sales and a quick Google prove there is a market and it is something people are doing -- including as a competitive sport -- especially as part of the EDM scene, and that this guy is the market leader.

I did that search, and saw "gloving" seemed to be confined to NY, LA and Fla in the U.S. (and I had guessed Japan even before it came up during the pitch). In other words, it is trendy. Cannot see how it ever becomes more than that, and was very surprised to see the interest from the sharks - especially with that high of an investment. Younger people do a lot of stupid things, but very few of those things last for long.

And, if you are going to print sayings on a crotch, at least aim for funny or crotch-related instead of inspirational - things like "if you can read this, you should probably wash your hands soon" or "hey, it's shark week!" or "slippery when wet" or "does something smell fishy in here?"

Hilarious! Those I might buy.
  • Love 3

I wondered if the hidden messages and designs in Naya were inspired by some Lucky jeans-- mine have "Lucky You" printed on the inside of the fly and cute pocket liner fabric.  Both are only visible to the wearer (or someone in her jeans, I guess).  

Oh, but think of the opportunities for picking up men in bars - "I have a terrier in my pants" or "I have a koala under my skirt."  (You may have guessed that I have been married for a long, long time)

Yeah, seriously. If inspirational quotes make you moist, my only advice is to buy a better umbrella.

Yeah, seriously. If inspirational quotes make you moist, my only advice is to buy a better umbrella.

I think you can get one of those from an older Shark Tank episode too... ;)

That does it. We need a crotch quote thread. It really ought to be a contest. Winner gets fortune cookie knickers.

On the butt:  Swipe card here

On the outside of the crotch:  Gee, that looks like a penis, only smaller.

On the inside of the crotch:  If you can read this, you'd better have an engagement ring in your hand.

Or:  Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

On the bra;  Degenerate Titlicker (TM Deadwood)

Or:  pictures of missing kids

I'll see myself out now.

• Love 4

Took me a moment, but I finally got the pictures of missing kids. Absolutely hilarious!

I almost didn't include that one, because it's insensitive and missing kids should never be joked about, but I couldn't figure out a quick way to reference those milk carton pics, other than the caption "Have You Seen This Child?", and I didn't think it would make much sense to anyone other than little ole warped me.  :-)