Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

I wonder how these people will afford vet care? Even a routine visit can cost a lot. Though they won't do that so more than likely, God forbid it would be an emergency. They would probably euthanize before they would pay (and that costs too). Poor dog. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 8
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, ginger90 said:

David and Jill went on a “little” getaway for their anniversary. They went to a pet store where David reminded her he didn’t want to get another dog “until Snuggles dies”. She repeated this a few times during her video. So, what do you suppose the outcome of this was? Cinnamon is now their dog of course. Some of the girls were playing with her in the house on a leash and it didn’t look appropriate to me.

IMG_8163.jpeg

That poor, sweet yorkie baby. :( Snuggles also for having to live in that house. :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 14
On 10/14/2024 at 6:10 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

Well, I guess he (Philip) has to pivot once it became clear that he was never going to Hungary. 

I wonder if that could that be what made him break from his family.  If Jill built him up his entire life as the kid who was going to make the family proud by going off to be a missionary in Hungary, only to find out that he had no means, skills, money or education to do the one thing Jill probably told him he was born to do, then I could see him being completely lost as to what his purpose even is.

Hopefully he didn't break away because he feels he disappointed Jill because he was never going to be a missionary in the first place, just like Tim was never going to fly planes once Jill got involved.  I feel like if she senses that any of her sons are going to be more successful than Dave (a very low bar), she'll make sure it never happens.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, Notabug said:

Of course she'd get a dog from a pet store and not a rescue.  I guess she's just trying to support the puppy mills run by her pals in Amish country.  She undoubtedly overpaid for the pooch,too.

This is a particularly sore subject for me having owned 2 dogs rescued from the Amish as pups, including the sweet boy who is my avatar.

Oh he is a sweetheart 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, precious pupp said:

And as someone posted earlier, she should have gone to an animal shelter.  I wonder how much she paid for that puppy.  Supporting puppy mills is cruel.

We got our cat for $29. We adopted him from a shelter at an animal hospital. Adoptions were normally $49.  I joked he was on clearance. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, precious pupp said:

Our kitty was $50, and she's my baby!  PetSmart had an adoption event with shelter dogs and cats.  I wish I could have adopted more of the pets.

Yes, Jill will make the Yorkie her purse dog.  Poor little thing.

I adopted my previous cat thru Petsmart! I go to Petco once a week for cat food and they always have a cat or two out for adoption. One cat, Hopscotch, was there for a long time. She had to be the only cat. People were very interested but already had pets. I would always say when I visited her "I don't want to see you here next week!". I went in this Sunday and she was finally adopted! 

I would probably have 100 cats if I could. Ours is a handful (imagine a toddler that never grows up). My husband says one is enough. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I wonder how these people will afford vet care? Even a routine visit can cost a lot. Though they won't do that so more than likely, God forbid it would be an emergency. They would probably euthanize before they would pay (and that costs too). Poor dog. 

I just got my 1st dog 3 years ago.  I have had cats forever. I was not prepared for the cost!  If I hadn't gotten pet insurance I would be completely broke.  Seriously, I wonder how people with multiple dogs do it.  

It angers me that these folks have any pets. 

• Like 14
15 minutes ago, precious pupp said:

And as someone posted earlier, she should have gone to an animal shelter.  I wonder how much she paid for that puppy.  Supporting puppy mills is cruel.

Typical Yorkie puppy costs about a thousand bucks.  Yet, they don't have money for repairs to the van, for a new tablet or for buying shoes that actually fit their kids.

• Like 8
  • Sad 10
  • Useful 2
1 minute ago, Natalie68 said:

I just got my 1st dog 3 years ago.  I have had cats forever. I was not prepared for the cost!  If I hadn't gotten pet insurance I would be completely broke.  Seriously, I wonder how people with multiple dogs do it.  

It angers me that these folks have any pets. 

My late cat had some illnesses, urinary crystals, thyroid condition, so I paid OOP for those as I had no insurance. The biggest was $400 for an ultraasound for his pancreas (his enzymes were very high). I didn't care because he was my baby, but yea, the insurance sure does help. 

• Like 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

I feel like if she senses that any of her sons are going to be more successful than Dave (a very low bar), she'll make sure it never happens.

An extremely low bar.   That's part of it, but more if Tim is flying planes, he is not around her.   If Philip goes to Hungary, he is not in her control.    She might say these kids are going to do things that would seem very dogly, but in reality, she does not intend for any child to get out of her clutches.   Even Nurie in Florida probably has to give Mahmo daily updates on what she is doing and get Mahmo's approval first.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, Notabug said:

Typical Yorkie puppy costs about a thousand bucks.  Yet, they don't have money for repairs to the van, for a new tablet or for buying shoes that actually fit their kids.

I'm sure she didn't go somewhere reputable so it was probably cheaper. 

• Sad 7
1 minute ago, libgirl2 said:

My late cat had some illnesses, urinary crystals, thyroid condition, so I paid OOP for those as I had no insurance. The biggest was $400 for an ultraasound for his pancreas (his enzymes were very high). I didn't care because he was my baby, but yea, the insurance sure does help. 

My kitty is prone to bladder crystals so she is on a special diet. But yeah, I would spend anything possible to help them.  I wish I had the insurance for her! 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

My kitty is prone to bladder crystals so she is on a special diet. But yeah, I would spend anything possible to help them.  I wish I had the insurance for her! 

Yes, the special diet. When he started on it, the canned food was just plain flavor, not seafood or chicken. I remember the first time I gave it to  him, he sniffed at it and looked at me like "seriously?". I'm sure it has improved in all these years. 

To circle back to Jill, they don't feed their kids, what are they feeding a dog? 

• Like 12

Yes, the special diet. When he started on it, the canned food was just plain flavor, not seafood or chicken. I remember the first time I gave it to  him, he sniffed at it and looked at me like "seriously?". I'm sure it has improved in all these years. 

To circle back to Jill, they don't feed their kids, what are they feeding a dog? 

Does she even know that Cinnamon needs puppy food? 

• Like 7

Seriously!!!!  

• Like 7
33 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I'm sure she didn't go somewhere reputable so it was probably cheaper. 

Jill said they found the pup in a pet store.  Those usually are pretty expensive and not usually the best example of the breed.  A thousand bucks would be cheap compared to what a reputable breeder would charge for a good dog from exceptional stock.  Those would cost several thousand at least.

23 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Does she even know that Cinnamon needs puppy food? 

Jill doesn't seem to know the nutritional requirements of children.  I doubt she knows much about the needs of a puppy.  She probably got a free bag of puppy chow when she bought the pooch and hasn't thought beyond that.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 6
  • Angry 1

I got my 2 kitty kids at a PetSmart adoption day last year. They were 50.00 each, but since I was adopting two, my total price was 75.00. I love having two. They have someone to play with when I’m not around and someone to chase up and down the hallway when the zoomies hit. (Instead of me.)
I also feed two of the neighborhood feral cats (along with my neighbors). Everyone gets actual kitten/cat food and treats and it isn’t cheap. If I had children to feed I would probably not be feeding the ferals. If I had Dave and Jill’s income and children I would not have 2 cats. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

I'm surprised that there are still actual pet stores that sell purebred dogs and cats.  Birds, hamsters and guinea pigs, sure, but I have not seen dogs for sale in stores for years.  Adoption sites like PetSmart have animals that need homes,  and in may cases you are interviewed and given instructions on the pet's care.  The adoption people also know the animal's quirks and what type of home would be the best.  I don't see a pet store doing this.  Unless Jill meant she did go to a PetSmart type store, and it is a rescue puppy.  My fear is that it is in reality an expensive puppy mill puppy.  We will probably never know, and we will probably not see it very often.  It will go down the same path as poor Snuggles.  Talk about living a dog's life.

• Sad 9
1 hour ago, PradaKitty said:

If I had children to feed I would probably not be feeding the ferals. If I had Dave and Jill’s income and children I would not have 2 cats. 

this.   If you can't afford to feed your kids, don't get a pet.  The poor pet will not understand the concept of "fasting" so that Dave can dip up first.  

Someone above nailed it, Jill fills that big hole in herself by buying stuff.   Between Phil and Tim, she's got a bigger hole than usual because she is losing control.   She got a dog because the dog will never leave her (but will also not understand why its abandoned while they are on endless vacations or just ignored when Jill moves on to the next shiny thing in her life).

• Like 18
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

this.   If you can't afford to feed your kids, don't get a pet.  The poor pet will not understand the concept of "fasting" so that Dave can dip up first.  

Someone above nailed it, Jill fills that big hole in herself by buying stuff.   Between Phil and Tim, she's got a bigger hole than usual because she is losing control.   She got a dog because the dog will never leave her (but will also not understand why its abandoned while they are on endless vacations or just ignored when Jill moves on to the next shiny thing in her life).

There is a woman who lives in the town where I work. She is very poor. Her and her daughter are disabled. I know they are on public assistance (she is a patron at the library I work at). She is often on Facebook looking for financial help from people. I do feel sorry for her as her only source of income besides public assistance was her son who died at a very young age. 

Last year, she posted that she was looking for a kitten. When people mentioned she could go to a shelter to adopt, she commented she couldn't afford to. After that people pretty much said that if you can't afford an adoption fee, how can you afford vet bills. Now, everyone who has love in their hearts should be able to have a pet but money is money and they cost it. It's just a fact of life. 

• Like 13
15 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

There is a woman who lives in the town where I work. She is very poor. Her and her daughter are disabled. I know they are on public assistance (she is a patron at the library I work at). She is often on Facebook looking for financial help from people. I do feel sorry for her as her only source of income besides public assistance was her son who died at a very young age. 

Last year, she posted that she was looking for a kitten. When people mentioned she could go to a shelter to adopt, she commented she couldn't afford to. After that people pretty much said that if you can't afford an adoption fee, how can you afford vet bills. Now, everyone who has love in their hearts should be able to have a pet but money is money and they cost it. It's just a fact of life. 

I'd rather help someone like that afford a pet because she is poor through no fault of her own.   Jill COULD work.   Dave COULD work at actually being a printer.   They CHOOSE to grift instead.   They expect others to support their lifestyle of travel, shopping and eating out.   

• Like 11
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
53 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I'd rather help someone like that afford a pet because she is poor through no fault of her own.   Jill COULD work.   Dave COULD work at actually being a printer.   They CHOOSE to grift instead.   They expect others to support their lifestyle of travel, shopping and eating out.   

This person just posted that they are in danger of losing their home and have no where to go. Very sad but that is not a situation to bring any pet into. The pet shelter I donate to just had a cat brought as the family lost their house. It is sad, I know. Another reason the Rods tick me off, somehow they always manage to get money for things they shouldn't have. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 6

On Instagram, Jill thoughtfully provided us with footage of her newest fall decor techniques.  You can do it too!  All you need is 28 dozen brightly colored plastic flowers/leaves, wooden signs on every flat surface, pumpkins and scarecrows in every room, and several autumn-scented Dollar Tree candles - make sure those are positioned right under a bouquet of dried flowers for maximum excitement!

Also of note, the map was tuned in to a baseball game.

• LOL 12
5 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

On Instagram, Jill thoughtfully provided us with footage of her newest fall decor techniques.  You can do it too!  All you need is 28 dozen brightly colored plastic flowers/leaves, wooden signs on every flat surface, pumpkins and scarecrows in every room, and several autumn-scented Dollar Tree candles - make sure those are positioned right under a bouquet of dried flowers for maximum excitement!

I saw. It looks like Dollar Tree threw up in  her house. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 6
31 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

The Guardians are in the playoffs.  Not looking good at present, but they're there.

• Useful 3