Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Nothing says fun like juice boxes and Bible time in a cramped trailer. One of the girls is just hiding her face during the prayer. I know that pose from my teen years in the church, and she’s 1000% over it. The only thing she’s praying for is for this devotional to end. 

My family wasn’t fundie but every so often my parents would hear some peddler of family devotional materials speak, buy their “kits” and for about a week or two we’d have forced devotional time. The pitch was it was a way to guarantee we’d be believers as adults. Yeah…my sister and I are agnostic/atheist. My childhood was very happy but this devotional time is one thing I can point out that I hated. It didn’t make me a better person, love Jesus or anything. And the Rod kids get this lecture every day. I see the “I’m out of fucks to give” attitude in their body language. Fortunately for me my parents also expected us to be independent, get jobs, and a high quality education. Leaving the church was easy. But these poor girls, as over it as they seem, they will have a lot to overcome to get out. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 12
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

How unusual to see the Rod children swimming in clean water!

I'm sure they are wearing street clothes so it won't be clean for very long. 

I love how she has to mention in every post that they are in vacation. 

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

They're positively feral. How many instances do we know of them doing things that are socially inappropriate?

With encouragement from Jill, who is smart enough to know what they're doing is wrong, but wants the attention from the people that rightfully stop and stare at her posse of waifs in astonishment so Jill can turn it right back around and yell "persecution!"  This is what she wants every time they go out in public.  It's really twisted.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4

Just wondering, is David, spiritual leader of the house hold, some time preacher and warrior for Jaysauce, only leading one night of devotionals the fundie equivalent of fathers "babysitting" their own children? Who is leading all the other nights? Timbits? Philly? The Stockholm syndrome son-in-laws? If it's Jill, isn't it against their beliefs for a mere woman to preach to the men? 

I dunno, I've been on a puritan kick lately. Jill et al. wouldn't last five minutes (unless they started yelling about seeing Goody Duggar with the devil, I guess). 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

They're positively feral. How many instances do we know of them doing things that are socially inappropriate?

They really are.   Feral was the word I was looking for in my post.   Absolutely no idea how to behave in any way that is socially acceptable.   Climbing on national monuments, swimming in OTHER PEOPLE'S POOLS fully clothed, rampaging through the halls of the hospital with non masks, the "decorations" of Ma's hospital room, the taking over the laundromat.  Just all of it.   Not that I am a "children should be seen but not heard" type of person.   But I expect a modicum of age appropriate behavior.   And parents to control their children and TEACH them right from wrong.   

But Jill is leaving her kids to essentially raise themsleves while showing them that they don't have to follow any rules they dont want to.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
  • Love 16
2 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

They really are.   Feral was the word I was looking for in my post.   Absolutely no idea how to behave in any way that is socially acceptable.   Climbing on national monuments, swimming in OTHER PEOPLE'S POOLS fully clothed, rampaging through the halls of the hospital with non masks, the "decorations" of Ma's hospital room, the taking over the laundromat.  Just all of it.   Not that I am a "children should be seen but not heard" type of person.   But I expect a modicum of age appropriate behavior.   And parents to control their children and TEACH them right from wrong.   

But Jill is leaving her kids to essentially raise themsleves while showing them that they don't have to follow any rules they dont want to.   

Yet when you read her version of events (like when the KOA people kicked them out) her children were perfect and polite, as was she when she CALMLY explained they were the holiest of Christians. This KOA people (and SOCIETY!!) obviously hate kids and godly Christian families. 

If you need to repeatedly say how respectful and well mannered you were, you likely were not. 

• Like 8
  • Love 15
4 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

When my son was little, he was usually pretty well behaved. I remember going somewhere and telling him it was a "fancy restaurant" and he would need to behave. He did. As long as he had something to keep him busy and knew he was going to get a good meal! 

Just now, Trillium said:

Yet when you read her version of events (like when the KOA people kicked them out) her children were perfect and polite, as was she when she CALMLY explained they were the holiest of Christians. This KOA people (and SOCIETY!!) obviously hate kids and godly Christian families. 

If you need to repeatedly say how respectful and well mannered you were, you likely were not. 

And then the kids learn that they can do whatever since they are the "good ones". 

• Like 2
  • Love 9

Its JillR who is feral. I have no doubt that with one look from their mother those girls would behave instantly. I don't believe those kids initiate any activity or independently explore their curiosity without encouragement from their mother.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8
  • Applause 2
  • Love 10
27 minutes ago, Trillium said:

Jill also told the KOA manager who approached her that they were not wearing street clothes, but 'modest swimwear'.  Then posted a bunch of pictures of them wearing jeans in the pool.  There is such a thing as actual modest swimwear; but Jill and her kids weren't wearing it, it was street clothes all the way.  God doesn't like liars, Jill.

Of course, much of the modest swimwear market is aimed at Muslim women who cover, so Jill probably disapproves.  Almost every time I go to my local pool, I see Muslim women swimming and they look gorgeous in their swimwear, makes me wish I had similar.

https://burkiniusa.com/

BTW, Amazon has a dozen or more similar options, all under 50 bucks.  There's no reason the Rods cannot avail themselves of these products.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Trillium said:

THIS a billiont times THIS.    Jilly is you were really so Godly that everyone just fell back in amazement and were so respectfuly and well mannered about it, you wouldn't have to be defending yourself all the time.   Sadly, the rest of the world sees you are the feral grifters you are.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 10
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, awaken said:

Rail thin little arms. 

She looks ike a rail thin toddler, at 7 years old!

ETA  I wrote this comment about 12 hours ago, but when a thunderstorm knocked out the power and wifi then, this comment appeared when I signed on again.

Edited by sagittarius sue
  • Sad 7
14 hours ago, skatelady said:

And I'm betting that they plucked the coins right back out as soon as the camera was off. 

I didn’t want to come right out and say it but yeah. 😢

Edited by farmgal4
Punctuation
  • Sad 3
1 hour ago, satrunrose said:

Just wondering, is David, spiritual leader of the house hold, some time preacher and warrior for Jaysauce, only leading one night of devotionals the fundie equivalent of fathers "babysitting" their own children? Who is leading all the other nights? Timbits? Philly? The Stockholm syndrome son-in-laws? If it's Jill, isn't it against their beliefs for a mere woman to preach to the men? 

All of the males take turns. They did the same on their vacation last year.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

Jill also told the KOA manager who approached her that they were not wearing street clothes, but 'modest swimwear'.  Then posted a bunch of pictures of them wearing jeans in the pool.  There is such a thing as actual modest swimwear; but Jill and her kids weren't wearing it, it was street clothes all the way.  God doesn't like liars, Jill.

Of course, much of the modest swimwear market is aimed at Muslim women who cover, so Jill probably disapproves.  Almost every time I go to my local pool, I see Muslim women swimming and they look gorgeous in their swimwear, makes me wish I had similar.

https://burkiniusa.com/

BTW, Amazon has a dozen or more similar options, all under 50 bucks.  There's no reason the Rods cannot avail themselves of these products.

Those are beautiful.  Asking a very serious question - would it be disrespectful and maybe a version of "cultural appropriation" for someone not Muslim to wear these?  Or at least part of them?  The long sleeve tops would be something I would want to wear.  But, old Jewish lady.  Bad idea?

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
5 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Those are beautiful.  Asking a very serious question - would it be disrespectful and maybe a version of "cultural appropriation" for someone not Muslim to wear these?  Or at least part of them?  The long sleeve tops would be something I would want to wear.  But, old Jewish lady.  Bad idea?

I don't think it is cultural appropriation at all as long as you don't wear a head cover (unless you do that in your daily life).   There are good practical reasons to cover the arms and legs while in the sun to avoid damage and, for some of us anyway, a looser fit covering our problem areas is a desirable feature in swimwear.

These days, all of the major swimwear manufacturers make rash-guard tops which can be worn while swimming and many also sell swim skirts or leggings, although maybe not as much territory covered as the Muslim swimwear.  Land's End has long sleeved rash guards that can be paired with swim skirts or leggings which are pretty modest and flattering to different shapes and sizes.  That's where I usually buy my suits, the quality is good and there are a lot of sales.  Currently, all swimwear is 70% off there.

• Useful 4
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, Notabug said:

I don't think it is cultural appropriation at all as long as you don't wear a head cover (unless you do that in your daily life).   There are good practical reasons to cover the arms and legs while in the sun to avoid damage and, for some of us anyway, a looser fit covering our problem areas is a desirable feature in swimwear.

These days, all of the major swimwear manufacturers make rash-guard tops which can be worn while swimming and many also sell swim skirts or leggings, although maybe not as much territory covered as the Muslim swimwear.  Land's End has long sleeved rash guards that can be paired with swim skirts or leggings which are pretty modest and flattering to different shapes and sizes.  That's where I usually buy my suits, the quality is good and there are a lot of sales.  Currently, all swimwear is 70% off there.

Yes I have some of those, but the Muslim collection is really beautiful.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Many are now marketed as “modest”  or “sunsafe” on the more mainstream websites.  Some mainstream labels also have a modest or Sun safe selection.   

I am very fair with fine blonde hair and have been burning for years as I love the water.  I now have a very comfy one piece swimsuit over which I wear an above knee, long sleeve top with matching leggings.  All are made in SPF 50+ material.  The top and leggings can be attached so the top doesn’t float up.  And the top also has a hood that can be attached, saving my poor scalp.  Just the thing to go snorkelling in.  Mr Rose doesn’t care what I wear as long as I am not complaining about sunburn.

i bought good quality items so not the cheapest, but are made well and they will last.  And I barely get a second look, not that I care anyway.

Jill has choices that she can make, but her choice is that performative crap that garners more attention.  Wearing properly made, safe swim suits would not add to her story.

• Like 5
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, LavendarRose said:

Many are now marketed as “modest”  or “sunsafe” on the more mainstream websites.  Some mainstream labels also have a modest or Sun safe selection.   

I am very fair with fine blonde hair and have been burning for years as I love the water.  I now have a very comfy one piece swimsuit over which I wear an above knee, long sleeve top with matching leggings.  All are made in SPF 50+ material.  The top and leggings can be attached so the top doesn’t float up.  And the top also has a hood that can be attached, saving my poor scalp.  Just the thing to go snorkelling in.  Mr Rose doesn’t care what I wear as long as I am not complaining about sunburn.

i bought good quality items so not the cheapest, but are made well and they will last.  And I barely get a second look, not that I care anyway.

Jill has choices that she can make, but her choice is that performative crap that garners more attention.  Wearing properly made, safe swim suits would not add to her story.

Even those they are wearing a ton of clothes, I kind of doubt they use sunscreen. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

There is a reason and it's right there in your post. Jill ain't paying for fancy schmancy swimwear if they can wear their regular street clothing and she can feel super smug about how extra special they are.

The swimwear on that site is gorgeous, this red head would totally go for something like that if I swam outside for more than once every five years but most of the places we go have indoor pools so regular swimwear suffices for me in there.

• Like 7
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

There is a reason and it's right there in your post. Jill ain't paying for fancy schmancy swimwear if they can wear their regular street clothing and she can feel super smug about how extra special they are.

The swimwear on that site is gorgeous, this red head would totally go for something like that if I swam outside for more than once every five years but most of the places we go have indoor pools so regular swimwear suffices for me in there.

Exactly, they swim in full streetwear because it brings attention to them.  As others have noted, swimwear that covers has become increasingly popular the last few years and more and more people are wearing it.  So, if the Rods wore it, nobody would comment on it and Jill wouldn't be able to claim persecution.  She doesn't care that the fabric in street clothes sheds into the water and might damage the pool filter.  She doesn't care that regular street clothes become dangerously heavy when wet and might lead to a tragedy.

At my local suburban pool, I would guesstimate that at least half the young kids, boys and girls, wear rashguards to cover their chest and arms and prevent burns.  They wear them over their regular suit or with swim bottoms.

• Like 5
  • Love 9

I wish rash guards had been popular when I was young. I suffered too many sunburns, although I was careful to use sunscreen when it became widely available.

Jill's claims that the Rods swim in their modest swimwear is ridiculous. There are no special clothes in that house for swimming. They jump in somebody's swimming pool wearing whatever they have on that day. Jill knows the truth. 

She could buy suitable swimwear for the children cheaply, and none of it would look like "colored underwear." Instead, she intentionally uses her kids as targets of criticism, while Jill stays on the sidelines, egging them on and snapping photos. What sad lives these young Rodlet martyrs live. 

Jill's constant use of the word "vacation" is just doubling down on the criticism she's received. Stay tuned for restaurant trips, tourist attractions, boat rides, date nights, and all the rest. She reads what's posted about her and is responding with a badly  polished middle finger. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Most pools and water parks have signs explicitly stating proper swimwear is required. Not that a sign would stop the Rods.

My assumption is that Jill gleefully reads and then disregards the signs, as those are meant for everyone else - see also: Do Not Climb on the Historical Fort, No Soliciting in the Laundromat, Masks Required, Do Not Pet the Fish, etc.  None of those are meant for Jill and her brood - they're for the heathens.

27 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

She could buy suitable swimwear for the children cheaply, and none of it would look like "colored underwear." Instead, she intentionally uses her kids as targets of criticism, while Jill stays on the sidelines, egging them on and snapping photos. What sad lives these young Rodlet martyrs live. 

THIS.  Those kids never have an independent thought, so there's no doubt in my mind that it was 100% Jill who said to her kids, "Let's see who can climb the highest!" in St. Augustine, or "last one in the drainage ditch has to sleep outside!"  Shoot, I thought JB and Meech were setting their kids up for failure - meanwhile, Jill Rod says "Hold my Plexus."

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 10
  • Sad 8
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Most pools and water parks have signs explicitly stating proper swimwear is required. Not that a sign would stop the Rods.

I'm pretty sure that there was just such a sign at the KOA when Jill took the kids to the pool.  She said that other people using the pool first told her that they couldn't swim in their clothes; so they must've gotten that information someplace.  Not that anyone with half a brain wouldn't already know that.

• Like 10
6 minutes ago, Notabug said:

I'm pretty sure that there was just such a sign at the KOA when Jill took the kids to the pool.  She said that other people using the pool first told her that they couldn't swim in their clothes; so they must've gotten that information someplace.  Not that anyone with half a brain wouldn't already know that.

do  you think Jill has even half a brain? 

• LOL 10
15 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

So.much.cringe.

Sophia is so tiny, my heart breaks when I see her. 

9 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Dumb luck? 

I think DBD has lost a little weight. His face seems slimmer.

It's the angle? 

15 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

With all her successful grifting she definitely has half a brain.

Good point! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, libgirl2 said:

Sophia is so tiny, my heart breaks when I see her. 

Isn't Sadie only a year older than Sofia? And look how tall she is. Poor Sofia is barely taller than her 4 year old sister. 

Speaking of Janessa, couldn't they make her set down that nasty rag for just a minute? So gross, but I get it. The poor thing has nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Sad 10
Just now, Salacious Kitty said:

Isn't Sadie only a year older than Sofia? And look how tall she is. Poor Sofia is barely taller than her 4 year old sister. 

Speaking of Janessa, couldn't they make her set down that nasty rag for just a minute? So gross, but I get it. The poor thing has nothing else.

Janessa is going to catch up to her at this rate. I give her a pass for the blanket, kids are like that and good luck trying to get it away from them to wash. 

• Sad 3
  • Love 5

Olivia-1/2012

Sadie-11/2013

Sofia-7/2015

Janessa-4/2018

3 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
48 minutes ago, Notabug said:

I don't understand why anyone voluntarily goes swimming in street clothes. I remember doing that at swim classes, I believe it was one of the last things we had to learn, and it was not fun.

38 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

The kid with a mustache and glasses… that’s a LOOK.

and where is Jonathan? I’m surprised he is not in the picture.

He's not officially part of the family yet? I can see Jill be petty like that.

Several of those boys look like potential serial killers.

Edited by galaxygirl76
forgot a word
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
33 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

FA7104F3-3CEF-48C6-882B-E868EBD0DC6B.jpeg

The littlest girl is going to trip, stumble, and fall in that too-long dress.

That boy with glasses and puny mustache looks like he'd be the butt of all jokes if he was fortunate enough to go to a regular school.  

Those poor kids.  I loathe that sorry excuse for a mother.

• Sad 4
  • Love 11

I had to swim in my clothes  as a swim test before taking some boating classes. We weren't allowed to swim in jeans for the sake of the filters and our safety. It was awful. The clothes ballooned at odd times and changed your buoyancy, you had to fight against your ballooning t-shirt to make a proper stroke and then, just as quickly, they went from ballooning to stuck to you and heavy as heck. I'm really glad I only had to do that once. The Rod kids have to do it every time BME finds a mud puddle. At least they seem to wear pfds. I think there'd be a tragedy brewing  otherwise. 

• Sad 8

Personal flotation devices actually aren't that safe.   They can give kids a false sense of security.   Also if you get tangled up in one, it can hold you UNDER because it is floating to the top.   I know, because I almost drowned that way.    But then we later found out I float no matter what.   I can literally sit up cross legged in the water and float.   In the Navy, the first week you have to do a float test.   5 minutes of keeping your head above water while fully clothed (no boots) but denim pants, long sleeved shirt, etc.    Some people were treading water like mad.   I took a nap.   

I  hope Jill would actually care if one of her kids got hurt swimming the swamp.   But sadly I think she would just see another opportunity to grift.   I also don't think her grifting shows she has half a brain.   She's actually not good at it.   She's been lucky for a few years riding the Duggar, fundie coattails.   But with things the way they are right now, her luck is over and she doesn't know how to adjust.   Giving the middle finger to all the "haters" doesn't actually help.   The people who MIGHT want to support her are going to be turned off by her attitude of "Fuck You, I will take a vacation if I want" just as much as the naysayers.   

• Sad 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Personal flotation devices actually aren't that safe.   They can give kids a false sense of security.   Also if you get tangled up in one, it can hold you UNDER because it is floating to the top.   I know, because I almost drowned that way.    But then we later found out I float no matter what.   I can literally sit up cross legged in the water and float.   In the Navy, the first week you have to do a float test.   5 minutes of keeping your head above water while fully clothed (no boots) but denim pants, long sleeved shirt, etc.    Some people were treading water like mad.   I took a nap.   

I  hope Jill would actually care if one of her kids got hurt swimming the swamp.   But sadly I think she would just see another opportunity to grift.   I also don't think her grifting shows she has half a brain.   She's actually not good at it.   She's been lucky for a few years riding the Duggar, fundie coattails.   But with things the way they are right now, her luck is over and she doesn't know how to adjust.   Giving the middle finger to all the "haters" doesn't actually help.   The people who MIGHT want to support her are going to be turned off by her attitude of "Fuck You, I will take a vacation if I want" just as much as the naysayers.   

Times are tough, people don't have a lot of money they can easily part with. I donate to several animal shelters and have had to cut down the amount I give. It pains me but at least I am still giving. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 6
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

That boy with glasses and puny mustache looks like he'd be the butt of all jokes if he was fortunate enough to go to a regular school.  

We wouldn’t want a potential scandal of unmarrieds vacationing together! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1