Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: Forgiving, Relentless, Unconditional

• Start Topic

During a harrowing call to a structure fire, Herrmann rescues a trapped toddler, but the questionable circumstances surrounding the event send him on a personal mission to locate the father and get to the bottom of the situation. Severide makes up for lost time by retracing key friendships from his adolescence, while Mills discovers some surprising news. Elsewhere, Cruz and Brett’s relationship comes to a crucial juncture, while Otis develops some unexpected feelings.

So stupid high ass teenager who gets high and falls into holes gets to live and complain about guitars and the poor wee little baby with the shitty parents has to die?

Boo.

I don't like crying over fake dead babies but there we are.

• Love 2

Gabby: "What do I know?". Self-awareness? Thank you!

I like her when the writers don't go with Mary Sue overboard and take the chip off her shoulder. And I like Brett very much, but her attitude with the break-up was also coherent with what I've seen of her (in her dealings with her ex-fiancé) and it's good that she isn't perfect, either.

I love Casey when he's snarky -like, with Otis. I liked the continuity of Otis as a SF fan(boy). Loved that Herrman had his moment to shine, in spite of the very-special-episode tone, and how the others had his back.

My PeterMills dislike was renewed with his latest storyline. It was cruel to tease me with his departure. At least, his mother was only mentioned. And his sister continues to be my favorite Mills -and wow, the actress is so pretty.

Can't Severide date her  instead of bland Love Interest Because Spinoff? As far as I'm concerned, her character is in no way an incentive to watch Chicago Med.

And I'm not fond of the new firefighter. With him and LI, Severide is sidelined and I don't like it.

Finally, Boden's baby is the cutest, most adorable tiny badass since Judith Grimes and Sara Diggle.

I love Casey when he's snarky -like, with Otis. I liked the continuity of Otis as a SF fan(boy). Loved that Herrman had his moment to shine, in spite of the very-special-episode tone, and how the others had his back.

My PeterMills dislike was renewed with his latest storyline. It was cruel to tease me with his departure. At least, his mother was only mentioned. And his sister continues to be my favorite Mills -and wow, the actress is so pretty.

YES. and YES. "I'm going to count to three, and when I reach three, you will have realized that asking out your best friend's girl the day after they broke up is a bad idea."  heee  Altho i very much liked Otis's concern for his friend - don't date someone who makes you feel like meatloaf.

I was also hopeful for Mills to leave. Maybe he will, because he gets squad in another house. I like the new guy, if only because he makes Severide want to be a better person (IMO). I liked Kelly's explanation to the girl in the greenhouse.

I wanted some Mouch - daughter follow up.

Who were the other people in the hospital waiting room? I couldn't decide if they were family members of another patient, and got run over by a platoon of fire fighters, or if they were people from "the block", there concerned for the baby. The doctor's face was so expressive when he came out - that actor nailed it with his three lines. He saw all of the fire fighters and was like "ohshit, i have to break all of their hearts."

• Love 1

And his sister continues to be my favorite Mills -and wow, the actress is so pretty.

Can't Severide date her  instead of bland Love Interest Because Spinoff?

Mills' sister and Severide is my favorite ship that never was.

Love that Cruz was the dumper and not dumpee.  That restaurant was so pretentious. I would have rather stayed at home and watched the game too.

I like PeterMills and I want him to be on squad.  Severide possibly being his mentor was a SL they totally crapped on.  

Edited by miracole
  • Love 2

As far as I'm concerned, her character is in no way an incentive to watch Chicago Med.

Oh God, is Chicago Med an actual thing that's happening, or are we just speculating? The last thing this show needs is another spin-off and more cross-overs.

• Love 1

So, does HIPPA not apply to firefighters?

I liked this episode, but then again I really like Christopher and Casey (when he isn't with Gabby).  I liked how they know each other's buttons and knew to keep close to Hermann after he rescues babies.  I also loved Casey's calling the chaplain.  He is a nice recurring character.

I felt bad for Cruz, but Otis is right:  don't date someone who makes you feel inadequate.  And sometimes shows can make a breakup heavy-handed with clear villains and victims, but I liked that Bret was torn and knows Cruz is a wonderful guy, just not right for her.  I absolutely loved Casey's response to Otis.  Please don't continue that storyline!

• Love 1

Oh God, is Chicago Med an actual thing that's happening, or are we just speculating? The last thing this show needs is another spin-off and more cross-overs.

What I don't get is that it seemed like there was a push last year for a Chicago Med spinoff, and it didn't go anywhere. Remember the bombing episode with the two young doctors and the guy who played the crazy wife murderer from The Good Wife. If anything that seemed like a backdoor pilot, and actually looked ok. If they couldn't make something happen then, why do they think they can now?

The stuff with Severide wasn't really that interesting, the only part that really caught my attention was that he was basically homeless at one point during high school.

I'm not opposed to the idea of a spin-off medical drama, but NBC already has The Night Shift. Why would they greenlight another medical drama?

The doctor's face was so expressive when he came out - that actor nailed it with his three lines. He saw all of the fire fighters and was like "ohshit, i have to break all of their hearts."

I agree, that actor nail it.  If there is a Chicago Med spin off, I hope he is a main character on it.

I also loved Casey's calling the chaplain.  He is a nice recurring character.

Loved the chaplain here, but didn't he die in a previous episode? Didn't they go through his home and realize he did not have much of a personal life?  Help me out here please, who died in that episode?

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2

I am glad that the actor who plays Herman had a chance to shine. He turned in a great performance.

He is always my favorite.  They just need to keep the soap opera story lines away from him!  He is the voice of sanity in that crew.  

Looks like it's coming, although I see doubt here that it will last:

http://deadline.com/2015/01/chicago-med-chicago-fire-planted-spinoff-medical-drama-1201352095/

• Love 1

I guess if Dick Wolf could make a franchise (and a mint!) off of the L&O franchise, why not a Chicago franchise, too? (Not to mention Cold Justice and its own upcoming "spinoff" series. The man is set for four lifetimes, I'm thinking!)

I quite like Severides surgeon friend who's name I can't remember. It's the first potential relationship ive seen Severide have with a woman that doesn't feel fake and ridiculous.

I quite like Severides surgeon friend who's name I can't remember. It's the first potential relationship ive seen Severide have with a woman that doesn't feel fake and ridiculous.

Oh FFS.

A planted spinoff for the project will air as an episode of mothership series Chicago Fire later this season.

They are ruining Chicago Fire with these constant cross-overs. It's so rarely a show in its own right anymore, it's just more of a springboard for other shows. Don't they realized how much they're pissing off their audience?

• Love 1

Oh FFS.

They are ruining Chicago Fire with these constant cross-overs. It's so rarely a show in its own right anymore, it's just more of a springboard for other shows. Don't they realized how much they're pissing off their audience?

Whatever the case, the spinoff episode is the next new episode, in early April. I have already put the description up.

I don't think the constant spin-offs and cross overs are what's hurting Fire. PD goes through the same thing and they're much more concise...they may end storylines quickly (Lindsay being a Fed) but they don't just randomly disappear (Like Casey's life threatening concussion).

Fire writers are just kinda shitty.

Looks like it's coming, although I see doubt here that it will last:

http://deadline.com/2015/01/chicago-med-chicago-fire-planted-spinoff-medical-drama-1201352095/

So will anyone from last years attempt at a spin off be in it? Because like I said that PD/fire event last year with the bombing at the hospital fun run sure seemed like a backdoor pilot. And Dylan Baker has showed up a few times last season as a Chicago Med surgeon. It just seems very weird.

• Love 1

So will anyone from last years attempt at a spin off be in it? Because like I said that PD/fire event last year with the bombing at the hospital fun run sure seemed like a backdoor pilot. And Dylan Baker has showed up a few times last season as a Chicago Med surgeon. It just seems very weird.

Maybe consider the new backdoor pilot a retool or something? I know, this time, S. Epatha Merkerson from the L&O franchise is attached to this (so Wolf must have liked her!), so maybe with a name attached, Chicago Med will ultimately get off the ground. Or, yeah, maybe not. But time will tell.

Just returning to Chicago Fire with this episode for the second half of the season. Decided to watch these episodes because I have the day off and it's cold and raining. Based on my time off, I can only conclude that:

1. Casey and Gabby are no more, which I think is a good thing.

2. They are trying to push Severide with his former high school friend. I don't think it will work because they give off just that a friend vibe. IMO, the couples who work best have a natural chemistry and these to don't. Shows need to stop casting love interests without doing multiple chemistry tests because it never ends well. As others have posted above, I actually think Severide would work nicely with Mills' sister. There is just something about that actress that I love and makes me want to see more of her.

3. I'm blanking on the EMT with the mustache, who looks old despite the actor being young, but there is a major creep factor to his wanting to pounce on fake Shay. It also says he is not much of a friend because his motivation for "supporting" Cruz in his decision to breakup with fake Shay came from a place of his own self- interest and not Cruz's best interest.

4. I knew the captain had gotten married, but had no idea he had a baby. That was quick. Is he still shown interacting with the stepson?

5. It sucks that the little boy died, but I applaud the show for reminding us that far too often in this life, it is the most innocent and least deserving of pain who suffer. Too many shows would have given us the happy ending of child is perfectly safe and being taken in with the hope of adoption by the perfect family who is filled with love and resources.

6. What's the deal with Mills? Is the actor on the way out cause that restaurant thing and the conversation with his sister looks like the perfect set up for departure. Based on my above comments (see #2), I would hate that as it means Mills' sister could never hookup with Severide.

Edited by Happytobehere