Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Vow Or Never

Four new couples enter their first year of marriage in the Season 2 premiere. Included: A couple rush to the altar after having known one another for seven months; wedding plans could push a groom-to-be over the edge; a bride-to-be's mother becomes ill the day before the ceremony.

Oh, and the girl he is marrying seems nice enough....but I SERIOUSLY thought it was Traci Lords in the previews...like...for reals

That's so funny because I was thinking that Hef would have loved her back in the day.

I have to say, having lived in Hayward, CA, for a couple of years, it's so *not* in the middle of nowhere. It's about 45 minutes to San Francisco, about 25 minutes to Berkeley, about 20 minutes to Oakland, and about 45 minutes to San Jose. So no, not in the middle of nowhere. It's in the beautiful San Francisco Bay Area. 

Oddly, I grew up near Bethesda, MD, which is just outside of DC, and I live 15 minutes from there now. I'll be watching to see how both cities are portrayed.

Edited by jennylauren123
  • Love 1

Yea. I didn't hate them all at first either. It will take me a while to get the names straight.

I thought Nadine was quite pretty, as compared to the other blonde lady, the pilates instructor. She had a butterface to be sure. Nadine lost her mother five years ago while her hubby can't seem to be without his. Weird, in a cool kind of way that his mom decided to be a nun after he grew up. The lying to daddy about the divorce thing seemed over the top. I get it but by the time the wedding rolled around the truth needed to be out.

Let's see, the lesbian couple. Very, eerily similar to last seasons gay couple. One half rich and entitled, the other half having to sign pre nups and feel less than worthy and envious of past relationships. Couldn't Bravo have switched up the story line a little bit? The rich half of the couple was very "hands (and mouth) on" with her fellow wedding guests and her partner seemed very resentful in several talking heads. I would love to see a functional LGBT relationship portrayed on this show.

The other blonde with the guy, Kirk? Who has the older teen sons, he has the looks of the relationship to be sure but a bit over the top in his proclamations of love, money and sex, especially in front of his kids and in laws. Gross!

It seems like both the blonde couples kind of hooked up with their mates shortly after life changing circumstances. The brothers death, the divorce. Hopefully it wasn't too hasty of a hook up.

I really liked Toi and her spouse, Rouvan? They had a great love story. I thought she and the red head lesbian looked familiar to me for some reason though I didn't recognize any of the name dropping Toi did so I'm not sure why she looked familiar to me. The story of her dad and uncle was awful though!

I'll get everyone names straight by the last episode, I promise :)

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 2

Sam and Laura...this lesbian couple was the best representation they could find of a gay relationship? Really? I'm pretty appalled Sam kissed someone else at her own wedding reception. That was so foul and inappropriate. Also, why was half the guest list comprised of people she slept with or dated? I don't have high hopes for this relationship. Laura, if your wife has trouble 'letting go of people', please run away without hesitation and never look back. I get being friendly with exes, but Sam is clearly more than friendly.

• Love 5

Christi,

Toi reminds me of Kenya Moore

I get more of an Omarosa vibe from her. The very "considerred" manner of speaking, the very controlled presentation of her father's story.. we'll see if the vibe grows or diminishes once the newness of the cameras and husband wears off.

The California blonde lady also has a strange speech pattern. I can't figure out if it's a vocal fry or just her being drahmatical. Maybe I've just heard the "If you infuriate me, I turn into a bitch" too many times.

• Love 2

I think Toi's father was part of the funk group, Roger and Zapp.

Yes, I believe Roger was her uncle.

And I thought Toi was Omarossa at first.

What happened to Toi's mother?

I always find all the blurred faces interesting.

Edited by Neurochick

What happened to Toi's mother?

They mentioned she was hospitalized with Crohn's but later said a physical therapist wouldn't release her. The two don't go together, imho. Crohn's is a bowel issue and requires no physical therapist.

Erik got on my nerves. It's your rehearsal night, your mom is fine being left alone for a bit. It is her choice. Nadine doesn't need to babysit her.

Edited by KarmaG

They mentioned she was hospitalized with Crohn's but later said a physical therapist wouldn't release her. The two don't go together, imho. Crohn's is a bowel issue and requires no physical therapist.

Erik got on my nerves. It's your rehearsal night, your mom is fine being left alone for a bit. It is her choice. Nadine doesn't need to babysit her.

Yes! I just wrote something similar in Erik & Nadine's thread. Annoying.

I have never commented on a show before but:

Sam and Laura...this lesbian couple was the best representation they could find of a gay relationship? Really?

Yeah, I was thrown by the whole: "I'm kind of just the minority in the relationship and she is kind of the boss lady," when they were talking about the prenup. Really!?!? That is such a wacked out way to describe their financial power relations. Because "minorities" are "obviously" poor and not "bosses." Such a weird way to frame herself and her relationship. Sorry, her casual comment just rubbed me the wrong way. I shall be side-eyeing Laura and Sam.

Yeah, I think finances will continue/may become a problem for them.

Edited by NatsumesYuujin

I have never commented on a show before but:

Yeah, I was thrown by the whole: "I'm kind of just the minority in the relationship and she is kind of the boss lady," when they were talking about the prenup. Really!?!? That is such a wacked out way to describe their financial power relations. Because "minorities" are "obviously" poor and not "bosses." Such a weird way to frame herself and her relationship. Sorry, her casual comment just rubbed me the wrong way. I shall be side-eyeing Laura and Sam.

Yeah, I think finances will continue/may become a problem for them.

I don't think she meant minority in the way you think she did. I think she meant it as in, Sam is the majority, the decision maker (like in voting). Laura is the minority, the one who just goes along because their say doesn't mean as much.

• Love 3

I don't think she meant minority in the way you think she did. I think she meant it as in, Sam is the majority, the decision maker (like in voting). Laura is the minority, the one who just goes along because their say doesn't mean as much.

Yeah, I can see that. It just seemed weird. I like your explanation better. It's still sad that she would refer to her future wife as the boss in the relationship because of finances. She said she didn't bring much to the table financially (and she seemed kind of sad/uncomfortable? about that), but at least Sam said she brings other things to the relationship. She seems concerned (as I would) that people not view her as a gold digger. I think the lack of letting go of past relationships may become a bigger issue...especially at your wedding!

• Love 1

Regarding the blurred faces, the brother of my close friend from college got married a few years ago. My friend put up a lot of wedding pictures on facebook, but only about 3 from the bachelor party. Another friend commented, asking about more pics of the bachelor party. My friend said that they agreed not to post more because his brother and one of his friends were both teachers. So, my guess is that the guests with blurred faces have jobs, i.e., teachers, therapists, that could be in jeopardy if filmed acting rowdy, taking shots, etc.

• Love 1

Regarding the blurred faces, the brother of my close friend from college got married a few years ago. My friend put up a lot of wedding pictures on facebook, but only about 3 from the bachelor party. Another friend commented, asking about more pics of the bachelor party. My friend said that they agreed not to post more because his brother and one of his friends were both teachers. So, my guess is that the guests with blurred faces have jobs, i.e., teachers, therapists, that could be in jeopardy if filmed acting rowdy, taking shots, etc.

That makes sense, but the blurred faces I saw were just guests at a wedding, they weren't doing anything rowdy.  Maybe Bravo couldn't find them to sign releases.  The reason I find them interesting is because I watched the first season of The Real World when it originally aired in 1992, and when they'd walk out on the street, I can't remember seeing any blurred faces.

• Love 1

Toi: as soon as she said her father was in a group and they showed that photo, before they even picked him out I said hot damn, her father was the brother who killed Roger. That's fucked. I get the feeling she knows a few people in LA from being part of a musical family that did very well back in the day - hell, Roger's hit "I Want To Be Your Man" was in Love & Basketball, which is a fairly recent movie so gained a whole new group of fans.

I thought Toi said it was her uncle who killed another uncle. And didn't she say her father left her and her mother when she was young? And that's why her and her mother were do close. I was glad her mother at least got to watch the wedding from her hospital bed.

Red flags on Sam and Laura. Sam grabbing ass and kissing other girls at the wedding reception was inappropriate.

Kirk mentions money a lot and paying for everything. I see money being a problem with these two even though Laura has two jobs.

I don't know what to think about Erik and Nadine yet. Erik's mother seemed like a sweet lady.

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 1

I thought Toi said it was her uncle who killed another uncle. And didn't she say her father left her and her mother when she was young? And that's why her and her mother were do close.

The above - brothers, not uncles - and her father left because of doing tours and music, etc. That's where the cheating and groupies came in.

• Love 1

Sam and Laura are weird. Sam seems much calmer, but I get a real spoiled, selfish vibe from her. Laura seems nicer, but also angrier. What was Laura yelling about at the dinner at the house? She got so mad so quickly that I didn't follow what was going on.

• Love 1

Sam and Laura are weird. Sam seems much calmer, but I get a real spoiled, selfish vibe from her. Laura seems nicer, but also angrier. What was Laura yelling about at the dinner at the house? She got so mad so quickly that I didn't follow what was going on.

She asked Sam's brother to get some more plates; he said no, then went and sat in her seat. She yelled at him for not getting the plates and then for sitting in her seat. Then made him move, then yelled for him not to eat off her plate. The whole thing was very childish/sibling like. And everyone else ignored it. So weird.

• Love 1

Regarding Nadine's scuba diving thing - I find her annoying and a bit over the top, but I sort of get her response to the scuba thing. I have a huge fear of heights and a bunch of my friends wanted to go bungee jumping while on vacation. I expressed my fear about it to everyone. I would literally shake just thinks about jumping off a bridge and possibly plummeting to my death. And then the day came, and people backed out and it ended up getting cancelled, to make a long story short. I was shocked by my disappointment. And I was like, "what!?why aren't we doing this?" And everyone thought that was strange lol. Truth be told, despite all my fear, deep down I wanted to conquer that fear and make that definitive choice for myself to do something, even if it terrifies me. I was upset that choice was taken away from me in that moment.

The problem with Nadine was not in her sudden disappointment, but her lack of self reflection and awareness of her own feelings. Instead she behaved like a bratty child.

• Love 3

I thought Toi said it was her uncle who killed another uncle. And didn't she say her father left her and her mother when she was young? And that's why her and her mother were do close. I was glad her mother at least got to watch the wedding from her hospital bed.

Red flags on Sam and Laura. Sam grabbing ass and kissing other girls at the wedding reception was inappropriate.

Kirk mentions money a lot and paying for everything. I see money being a problem with these two even though Laura has two jobs.

I don't know what to think about Erik and Nadine yet. Erik's mother seemed like a sweet lady.

You hit on everything.  The inferiority complex that Laura has is sad.  For Sam to dismiss the inappropriate kissing as "not a big deal" was real indicator of things to come.  Sam seems to take Laura for granted and Laura is the doormat.

Kirk is annoying and is a little boy as we will see in the next episode. She doesn't seem like the gold digger type so I don't see what she gets out being with him if it's not about the wedding.

The couple who traveled around the world for their honeymoon....sigh...the poor guy has already been beaten into submission.  She talks about how they're "both emotional and hypocritical" was hilarious!  She is the crazy one who goes into spasms at the drop of a hat.

Toi's story is too sad.  I remember her father's story on 'Unsung' on TV-One and loved their music. Guessing from her age (same as mine), her mother and Roger must've had her at a very early age.  And yes, someone please explain how Chron's (sp) and physical therapy go together?? Something doesn't add up. 

I don't want to think that Toi's husband is cheating on her but he doesn't seem to sad to roll his suitcase out of the house on a trip every few days. What's up with that? 

Overall, I like this group waaaay better than season 1.  They are all interesting people.

• Love 3

I don't want to think that Toi's husband is cheating on her but he doesn't seem to sad to roll his suitcase out of the house on a trip every few days. What's up with that? 

Overall, I like this group waaaay better than season 1.  They are all interesting people.

I think it's because he's not a 20yr old kid. He's a grown, mature adult who is use to traveling for business.

So far I am liking this cast better than season one but am still reserved. I see dark things ahead. Also hope if we get a 3rd season they change the formula. We don't always need the same - 1 gay couple, 1 black couple, 2 white couples (or a mixed race couple) and mixed in there somewhere is money and "fame"..season one had Tina, a Bollywood Pop Star, season 2 has Toi, the daughter of a former band member. Each season so far has at least one, if not two, couples ready to make babies even if it's obvious to the world they never should etc.

• Love 1

This season has older couples, couples who have had prior marriages and several of the participants have children. This is a major difference from last season where we had four sets of first timers. So, I see no pattern.

Toi's wedding outfit was really pretty. She is a really pretty lady.