Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Honestly, I was kind of tepid about either one because I'd like to see more new blood get to the Slam finals.  That being said, it was a good match.  Can't feel too sorry for Federer crying because, Lord knows, he's made enough opponents want to cry after finishing as runner-up. 

Damn, I wanted Federer to win. I really think this was his last chance to win a Slam. Even though he's continually given cupcake draws, there likely won't be any more Majors where he can make it to a final without having to go through Rafa, Novak or Andy.

Regarding Novak's medical timeouts, I always thought they had to occur on a changeover prior to the injured player's serve? The second timeout delayed Roger's service game by three or four minutes which was unfair IMO. I half thought Djokovic called the trainer to mess with Roger's head and break up the momentum.

Begrudging, lukewarm congratulations to Novak...

What a wonderful game between two brilliant players. Thrilled for Djokovic, he showed such mental strength after a couple of GS final losses. Federer has won plenty so I was definitely rooting for the Joker! But it seems I may be alone in this forum, I didn't realise so many people disliked Djokovic! Its funny how different perceptions can be, I have always considered him a warm, funny, genuine player who is respectful and classy of his opponents. In Australia he is very popular with the crowds, I have watched him at a number of tournaments here and he has the crowd in the palm of his hands - always happy to stay afterwards and mess around with the ball boys/girls and do some exhibition hitting with the young Aussie players. I did notice that the crowd at Wimbledon was for Federer but assumed that was for sentiment, being one of his last opportunities rather than a dislike of Djokovic.

The women's final was very one-sided but what a display from Kvitova! Bouchard didn't do a lot wrong but she didn't get the opportunity to do anything right either. Good future ahead of her though I would imagine.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was kind of pulling for Djokovic once I heard he was getting married next week. Not for him as much as for the sake of his future wife. With the victory, he won't be in the doldrums and it'll be an extra celebratory time for them. His post-win remarks were lovely. 

Federer's daughters are just adorable. I hope he gets to retire on a high note like Sampras. 

Edited by Dejana

That was a great men's doubles final! The Bryan brothers switching sides after the first point of the set was weird.

You must be the only other person who watched besides me. At least that must be what ESPN thinks. Out of 9 hours of broadcasting on Saturday between ESPN and ABC, they showed approximately 55 minutes of new, live action. Granted the brutally short Women's Final wasn't their fault but the choice to not show neither the Women's nor Men's Doubles Finals was entirely their call, instead they chose to shunt them off to ESPN3. For most of matches, I only had 1 bar of video quality out of 5 and several times had to completely refresh the screen as the picture froze. One time it took 2.5 games to refresh; I went from 2-2 to 3-3 and 0-30 or something at a pivotal swing. And for what, the 5th or 6th replay of the Djokovic/Dmitrov match since Friday and the countless press conferences and talking head autopsies of the match-that's what ESPNClassic and ESPNNews are for respectively. ESPN(2) should be for live sports only with a few, very few, doses of Sports Center, primarily at night and overnight to recap the day. This is becoming like MTV not even showing music videos anymore. WTF!!! They even replayed the D/D match again on ABC. IMO, this ranks right up there with USA, et al not showing the Martina Navritilova/Bob? Bryan Mixed Doubles Finals from the USOpen about 10 years ago when she won for her final Major title. It seemed like we were getting upgraded as they moved primary coverage from the Deuce to the main channel and even gave us 3 channels (ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNNews) a couple of days but at what cost. Unfortunately Tennis Channel's coverage has seemed to drift and become as ADD as ESPN with jumping from court to court and never showing a full match.

Today's match was good and hard fought but not "great" IMO. Obviously I would rather have had the alternate outcome. But still damn proud to be a #FedFan. Now just need my new racket.

Not renard but I'll say personally in my opinion, I didn't think it was great because as a good as Federer was playing and as hard as he fought, that match really only went as long as it did because Djokovic kept blowing his leads in the match. There were many times where he looked shaky and nervous and played tense - the two errors right out of the gate when serving for the championship in the fourth, then after Roger got the break and leveled the match, the double-faults that quickly put him at 0-30, eventually leading to the break that put Federer up 6-5 in the set. 

I remember the commentators even mentioning how they wondered if those three straight Grand Slam final losses were start to weigh on Novak and it had affected his self-belief. McEnroe was convinced it went all the way back to last year's French Open semi-final where was two points from defeating Rafa and let the match get away from him and then the Wimbledon loss followed and then the U.S. Open again where he had the lead against Rafa and let the title slip away. Btw, just before it's stated,I am of course not dismissing Rafa and Murray's efforts in those matches and outplaying Novak when it counted but I can see how those losses started to chip away at his confidence just a little.

You must be the only other person who watched besides me. At least that must be what ESPN thinks. Out of 9 hours of broadcasting on Saturday between ESPN and ABC, they showed approximately 55 minutes of new, live action. Granted the brutally short Women's Final wasn't their fault but the choice to not show neither the Women's nor Men's Doubles Finals was entirely their call, instead they chose to shunt them off to ESPN3. For most of matches, I only had 1 bar of video quality out of 5 and several times had to completely refresh the screen as the picture froze.

I'm glad someone else watched that match! The TV coverage of tennis is in such a sad state. I also noticed that ABC was not showing it. I don't know what more they want. There were three Americans in that match, it was five sets, it had the "old" vs. young, decorated team vs. first-timers stories going for it....

I'm usually pretty happy with all the live streaming on offer. I don't get ESPN or have a nice TV, so it's pretty much my only option. I'm sorry you were having trouble with ESPN3. It was working well for me, but in the past I've been stuck with the dreaded 1 bar of quality. Assuming your up/down speeds are fine, the only thing I can think of to suggest is unchecking the hardware acceleration setting in Flash.

Not the only person who watched the doubles final by a long shot. Of course, it helped that it was televised live in Canada even though midway they switched from from the main channel to their secondary channel. It was still extremely disappointing though how little attention the win garnered in Canada - everything was about Bouchard's loss.

I was already over the moon with excitement over Pospisil doing so well throughout the tournament. I have followed Vasek since he was a teenager and have always loved him and his game. The final was a terrific match and so much fun to watch and their joy upon winning was a real treat to see.

McEnroe was convinced it went all the way back to last year's French Open semi-final where was two points from defeating Rafa and let the match get away from him

McEnroe said that? The fairy tale meme that much of the media pushes about that match pisses me off to no end as the truth of the matter is that it was Nadal who was two points away from winning it in the fourth set when he was serving for the match. It never should have gone to a fifth set in the first place and yes, Rafa was shaken and was broken in the first game of the fifth set, but it wasn't Djokovic letting the match get away from him, it was Rafa who put his amazing mental toughness to work and refused to lose. He hit 22 winners in that fifth set alone. Rafa was the better player in the whole match and the winners/UEs back that statement up.

I can't believe how unlucky Rafa is. :'(  Poor guy can't catch a break. It's bad enough that he has to miss Toronto and Cincinnati but he is such a confidence player that even if he's well enough to go to the USO, he'll struggle if he hasn't had any warmup matches. Just imagine what his records would be if he hadn't had such tough breaks throughout his career and at his age, he's not going to get that many more shots at slams. I'm just sick for him.

I swear this entire year has been about upsets & injuries! Li Na has knee problems and has pulled out of Montreal, Cincinnati & the US Open!

Vika lost to Venus last night so she's not back to form either.

I don't even want to discuss Rafa. I love him but his body keeps breaking down! :(

Hopefully Milos and Simona have a strong summer.

It's that much more amazing when you think about all Rafa has accomplished in his career considering his many nagging injuries. Well it is what it is. I'm just going to hope for the best for the Open as I do for every tournament. 

• Love 1

So excited that Pospisil made the finals of the Washington tournie. Big step for him. If only he could avoid illness and injury (sort of like Rafa) for a decent stretch of time, he'd be right up there in the rankings too. Not sure if Vasek can overcome the tough draw and the brutal schedule he's had but I'll be cheering very loudly for him. :)

• Love 1

So the 3 witches from Macbeth, I mean Chris, Pam and Mary Jo, were saying incantations over Serena's grave when she roared back to take 4 in a row, then the 1st set in a 7-1 tiebreaker. Take that Harpies and just call the match without your bitter editorializing.

Edited by renard
  • Love 2

So the 3 witches from Macbeth, I mean Chris, Pam and Mary Jo, were saying incantations over Serena's grave when she roared back to take 4 in a row, then the 1st set in a 7-1 tiebreaker. Take that Harpies and just call the match without your bitter editorializing.

I'm not that great at reading snark, renard, Were they wishing evil upon Serena, or were they all over her jock? The coverage always seems to be one or the other when it comes to the Williams sisters--especially Serena. The commentators either think she's the greatest thing since sliced bread, or they're ready to offer their first-born child to the tennis gods in order for Serena to lose. There's rarely a happy medium.

• Love 1

Mini-rant. Watching the W&S Open from Cincinnati. Earlier during the Murray (most boring player ever, IMO), he was referred to as "the Wimbledon Champion". NO, whichever dipshit announcer said this. He is A FORMER Wimbledon Champion; "The Wimbledon Champion" is now Novak Djokovic; Murray lost that distinction by not repeating his win this year and he was supplanted when ND won the title.

Speaking of BORING-next-up (tomorrow), Murray/Isner. Hopefully they'll put it on as the last match of the night and I won't have to take a sleeping pill.

It has been bothering me for some time but finally had to say something. They insist that the current Big 4 be the GOAT in/at something: Best Serve, Best Returner, Best Forehand/Backhand (one-handed/two-handed), Volley, etc.So during the post-match with Isner, Gimelstab said, "...next up against Andy Murray. Best Server( bolding by me) in the world, one of the best returners in the world." WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?! The ESPN crew must be serving Kool-Aid to their colleagues since they don't start broadcasting until tomorrow. Not an issue this week but J. McEnroe's contention that Nadal has the best volley in the game, although I don't think he has proclaimed that a GOAT designation also. That's not slurping, that's fellating.

It has been bothering me for some time but finally had to say something. They insist that the current Big 4 be the GOAT in/at something: Best Serve, Best Returner, Best Forehand/Backhand (one-handed/two-handed), Volley, etc.So during the post-match with Isner, Gimelstab said, "...next up against Andy Murray. Best Server( bolding by me) in the world, one of the best returners in the world." WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?! The ESPN crew must be serving Kool-Aid to their colleagues since they don't start broadcasting until tomorrow. Not an issue this week but J. McEnroe's contention that Nadal has the best volley in the game, although I don't think he has proclaimed that a GOAT designation also. That's not slurping, that's fellating.

They designated all those distinctions to Federer some time ago. I'm always surprised when they give some credit to any of the other guys. Federer is living in a utopian world. He obviously gets some from Mirka and then the media fellates him constantly.

What drives me nuts is that the commentators are so unprepared and do so little research. For instance, they're always going on about Djokovic being the best returner evah!! but if they'd simply look at the ATP stats, they'd see he is far from the best. In the four return categories, 1st Serve Return Points Won, 2nd Serve Return Points Won, Break Points Converted, and Return Games Won, Djokovic is no where near the top for Career stats. He's 10th, 13th, 8th, 10th respectively for those categories. For 2014 he's 11th, 2nd, 20th, 4th. For Career Return Games Won, Federer is an embarrassing 46th - yeah, he's a goat alright.

Guess who the guy at or near the top of all those categories is? Both for 2014 and for his career? Rafa Nadal. Have you ever heard him referred to as the best returner of the active players? Of course not. Career stats for the history of the Open Era show Rafa is 3rd, 4th, 2nd, and 2nd respectively. For 2014, he is #1 in all those categories as he was for 2013 and 2012 and a number of other years. Ferrer is usually next in line in all those categories, Andy Murray is up there too, and Djokovic is not - but that never stops the commies from blathering on with their untruths and exaggerations.

• Love 1

I wonder how long we'll have to hear about how much the McIlroy/Wozniacki breakup ("After the invitations had gone out!") has done for their games. It's relatively fresh and not an uninteresting development, but it seems like the sort of thing that commentators like to beat into the ground. Also, Wozniacki's shorts at the Western & Southern Open are hideous.

Dejana, you'll be happy to hear that Woz switched to a dress today! Apparently those shorts were a take on running shorts because Caroline is training to run a marathon later this year. I don't know anyone who could make those awful things attractive! *Mary Jo thought they were cute, Brad Gilbert hated them. lol

Injury news:

Del Potro has pulled out of the US Open due to ongoing wrist issues. So sad.

Vika has a right knee problem but hasn't ruled herself out of the Open. She didn't look all that good in Canada so maybe 4 weeks of rest will help.

Rafa will announce if he'll play in the Open on Tuesday.

Kei Nishikori had a cyst removed from his foot earlier this month and last I read he was questionable for the Open.

• Love 1

Really sad that after such a spectacular run last season, Rafa didn't have the chance to defend any of his titles. Sadly it is what it is, hopefully he gets better and makes another strong run in 2015. I always need to remind myself to not read comments under these articles because the stench of desperation by fans of other players who want to discredit Rafa is mind-blowing.

As for who will win, well whenever Rafa is out of a tournament my interest in the men's side diminishes because I have no investment in the players so I'll just sit back and see what happens. Right now, I'd like to see Stan make a strong run like he did at Australia. At #3 he would likely meet Novak again in the semi-finals assuming no upsets happen and it'd be nice to see if he can finally get the win after coming close last year, just like he finally got the win this year at Australia. It would also be nice to see Ferrer make a nice run.

• Love 1

I'd like to see Ferrer win because he never lets up; they don't call him The Beast for nothing.  If not him, then Stan.  (I'd love for my favorite, Monfils, to win the US or the French; a girl can dream.)

• Love 1

Gotta go with my guy Federer. Strong chance after a pretty good two tournaments. 

He's had a fairly strong year all in all actually.

For women's..Serena is the favorite but it's pretty wide open. Azarenka, Bouchard, Ivanovic even can be a threat.

Well Stan did win Australia earlier this year but yeah, I hear you. It's unbelievable that no one but any of these 4 has won a major since 2009 and were it not for that amazing US Open run by Del Potro in 2009, the stat would really be since 2006. That's insane. But it's really been more a dominance of Federer and Rafa and then in 2011 Djokovic really joined the mix. I think soon enough a change of the guard, if you will, will come. Yeah Federer looks good but dude is still like 33 and Rafa is plagued with injuries and Murray is not that consistent. So I think we'll see fresh faces emerging soon - of course watch I say this and Federer and Djokovic end up in the final. 

• Love 1
of course watch I say this and Federer and Djokovic end up in the final.

Heh, yeah. 

It's not that I don't like any of the top 4 (well, Murray is kind of dull) and I'm sorry Rafa's hurt and I wish he could be in it.  It's just that I'd like to see the next tier of guys or anyone below beat these guys in a Slam.  Of course, the top 4 have been beaten in lesser tournaments but I'd like to see someone else win on the big stage.   And yes, I'm glad Stan won at Australia, but maybe because of the time difference, I just can't appreciate that Slam as much as the others. 

ETA:  I'm watching Warwinka playing Vesley right now, and the announcer mentioned that, after winning the Australian, Stan signed a $20 million/4 year deal with some company for shoes, rackets, clothes.  So yeah, that's another reason I'd like to see someone else win a Slam because the top 4 have certainly made enough money off the court. 

Edited by Ohwell

I'm so tired of watching Murray make comebacks in matches he should have won easily. Also, with all the grabbing of various body parts he was doing, I thought next he might fall to the ground and yell, "My spleen! My spleen!"

I'd like to see someone else win, too, but the ones that always seemed next in line have really lacked the sort of mental toughness required to do it. I know Stan has, but he has been pretty shaky since then. And I used to think that Tsonga would be able to do it, but "shaky" doesn't begin to describe what he's been over the last couple of years, so that ship has sailed. I'm just looking forward to the next group - maybe Dimitrov.

• Love 1

I think this is an instance where we're going to see tennis skip a generation. There's nobody in that 21-26 yr old group that is going to be anywhere near as good as Fedal has been. Dimitrov, or maybe Raonic, might win a couple of slams at the tail end of this Fab Four era that we've been lucky enough to witness but I'd bet Rafa and Novak and Andy are going to be winning the big stuff for three or four more years yet. By then the current 17-20 yr olds are going to have matured and players like Coric, Thiem, Vesely, or Kyrgios will be much bigger stars than Dimitrov or Nishikori and the like.

I used to think that Tsonga would be able to do it, but "shaky" doesn't begin to describe what he's been over the last couple of years,

I can't remember who was calling JWT's match today, but he made a good point: that Tsonga simply doesn't have the all-around skills (particularly defensive) as the top four guys.  The top four really are exceptional in their ability to play both defense and offense with power and agility.  Yes, they have great mental skills, but athletically they're also in another league.

I think Nishikori, with his extraordinary Agassi-like ball-striking, has/had the best combination of skills to compete, but he can't stay healthy.  I also think Dimitrov may come through (although I do NOT see particular similarities to Fed).  I'm not convinced Raonic can ever break through unless he lucks into a really thin field in the coming years, a la Krajicek, Stich or Ivanisevic.  Yes, he's got the great serve, but from the ground he's no Juan Martin del Potro.

Edited by Harry24

Is it me or are these tv commentators kinda rude and mean spirited? From Johnny Mac to Pam Shriver and now chris ever-t was joining in on the rudeness last night. I mean I'm not complaining...I'm used it to after all these years. I just hope New viewers aren't offended.

What exactly have they said? I tend to mute the television so I can avoid the inane commentary. 

So some early upsets on the women's side. I think the most shocking, at least to me was Aggie. And that it was so straightforward. Meanwhile is the CiCi girl (is that her name) that upset Cibulkova going to be the next Melanie Oudin? A magical run at the Open and nothing much after that.

So some early upsets on the women's side. I think the most shocking, at least to me was Aggie. And that it was so straightforward. Meanwhile is the CiCi girl (is that her name) that upset Cibulkova going to be the next Melanie Oudin? A magical run at the Open and nothing much after that.

Please, let's give respect to my girl, the original, one and only and also previously unknown even to herself lovechild of Dr. J., Alexandra Stevenson and her magical run at Wimbledon in 1999 as a qualifier in her first year as a pro. She is currently still listed as an active player. I do belivee that her mother is the only one who knows as she traveled with and coached her.

Edited by renard

I thought she said 260.  Anyway, she's Taylor Townsend's coach and now I understand why Taylor doesn't look in the best of shape.  I was at the Citi Open in DC on the first day, watching some of the players practicing.  I saw Taylor hitting some balls with another player I didn't recognize, but there was a fat woman walking around holding a tennis racket like it was a frying pan, and I wondered who that was.  She would talk  with Taylor from time to time, and I just assumed it was her mother.  On second thought, since I didn't get a good look at her face, it might have been Zina Garrison.

Didn't Taylor get dumped by the USTA for being overweight?

I believe last year the USTA prevented her from competing at the US Open because they thought she wasn't in good enough condition.  There was quite an outcry about it, including protests voiced by Navratilova and Davenport, two all-time greats who had to deal with carrying more-than-the-ideal-weight early on in their careers.

I really enjoy her stylish lefty game, particularly since so many players these days have the generic, big-hitting baseline style, and I hope she'll be able to put it all together and have a really successful pro career.

• Love 2

Well that didn't last long, did it? Bellis is out. I will say she shows a lot of promise but her loss tonight really showed her youth and inexperience.

Watching her play tonight, I see the upside of her game. I agree that she's probably going to be really good in a few years. I think the media does a disservice to young American players by dubbing them The Next Great Hope for American tennis whenever they win a big match. That's a lot of pressure to put on a young player. It happened to happened to Melanie Oudin, it happened to Sloane Stevens, and it happened with Bellis. At least the media acknowledge that they do it.

Anyway, she's Taylor Townsend's coach and now I understand why Taylor doesn't look in the best of shape.

I'm sure she probably can't afford it right now, but as soon as possible, Taylor should invest in a fitness instructor and/or a nutritionist. She's talented and fit enough to play tennis on a professional level, but being 10-20 pounds lighter--or at least, more toned--would help her game tremendously. Look at Serena. She will never be stick thin--her body isn't made that way.  But she optimizes her body type by being as lean and fit as possible, It's no wonder that she's still #1 at almost 33.

And Zina Garrison was my girl in the 90's. She's from Houston, and Houston girls love to eat--look at Beyonce, Chandra Wilson, and Jennifer Holiday.

Edited by topanga

I'm tired of the usual suspects, the top 4 men, winning Slams.

Yes, it would be nice, but I don't know many of the top men other than the Big Four. Raonic? Berdych? Dimitrov? Who dat? Is it that TV coverage doesn't tell us much about who these men are? Or it could be that when it comes to endorsements, I only see Federer, Nadal, Djoko, and Murray on national commercials? And Andy Roddick when he was still playing.

And on the women's side, how did Simona Halep get to be #2? She was a finalist at the French and a Wimbledon semi-finalist. Is that enough? I guess don't understand WTA ranking.

And on the women's side, how did Simona Halep get to be #2? She was a finalist at the French and a Wimbledon semi-finalist. Is that enough? I guess don't understand WTA ranking.

She got there by being consistent in all majors/Masters series and likely not having a lot of points to defend from the previous year so she was only gaining. The rankings are essentially a point system. The further you get in a tournament, the more points you receive. But then you also have to defend those same points the following year. So for example, Rafa will fall to #3 or #4 (not too sure, have to check) because he lost all the points he won last year when he won the entire hardcourt season with his wins in Toronto, Cincy and U.S. Open, since he wasn't able to play and defend them. 

Yes, it would be nice, but I don't know many of the top men other than the Big Four. Raonic? Berdych? Dimitrov? Who dat?

I hope this is not taken the wrong way because it is not my intention but I think that may simply be a case of how much of a tennis fan one is. If you're just a casual fan who pays attention to the big names, watches the slams and bigger matches then I guess it's easy to not know these players. But if you're a dedicated fan who follows most of the tennis year, then these guys are all recognizable in their own way.

I mean Berdych has made multiple GS semi-finals and even made the finals of Wimbledon where he lost to Rafa. He's been around since 2000 or so and has been in the top 10 for a lot of those years. Dimitrov just made the semifinals of Wimbledon and if nothing else, you can always think of him as the guy who dated Serena for a minute and now dates Maria. Incidentally some people think that's what caused that little war of words between Serena and Maria a year or so ago.

But in all seriousness, I think the point some are making is that's just it, some will never know these names if those same four players keep winning all the majors. So the casual tennis fan will continue to be like "who..." when you have someone like Ferrer who's ranked #4 but has never won a slam or someone like Dimitrov who does have a lot of talent and is decent looking enough to become a star if he starts winning.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I don't know many of the top men other than the Big Four. Raonic? Berdych? Dimitrov? Who dat? Is it that TV coverage doesn't tell us much about who these men are?

The TV coverage--ugh. I tend to watch online, but then I have a tiny, ancient TV (and no ESPN at the moment). usopen.org has live streams for 7 courts. No commercials! You can keep an eye on several matches at a time and find new players to cheer for. I was watching tennis all night Thursday but didn't see one second of Andy Murray.

• Love 1