Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Huge swarm of bees forces Zverev and Alcaraz off the court. Just when you think you've seen it all.

I love the graphic that's on The Tennis Channel  "Time since bee invasion ..."

• LOL 2

Condolences to Aryna Sabalenka on the death (an apparent suicide) of her boyfriend, former hockey player Konstantin Koltsov.  I can’t even imagine ...

• Sad 7

I just watched a great match between Naomi and Elina Svitoina in Miami.

Naomi looks great!  Looks like she is back folks after only I think 6 tournaments?

Her game was amazing but she actually looks more relaxed as well.  At one point when she was called for a slight time delay she actually showed a little bit of a goofy grin.    Things really looking up it seems.

Svitolina is making a fine comeback as well. Touching to see Monfils sneaking in at the end to see the outcome.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

I know the world is looking like a very bleak place right now, but ...

Djoker lost AGAIN and hasn’t won a tournament ALL YEAR.  

The sun is shining brightly in my heart ... at least for a few minutes.

Edited by Harry24
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Baby Rafa is growing up so fast before our very eyes. The worst part of Rafa retiring is that we won't get regular pictures of Rafa Junior like we have these past weeks. He's such an adorable child.  🥰

• Love 6

They hung five banners from the rafters to celebrate the record five titles Rafa won at Madrid. Then he gave a very touching speech. He's such a lovely man.  😍 Follow the link for the whole article but I'll quote a couple of the paragraphs.

http://www.atptour.com/en/news/nadal-madrid-2024-farewell

Nadal says emotional farewell to Madrid fans

There was barely a dry eye in the house as Rafael Nadal said farewell to fans at the Mutua Madrid Open, the ATP Masters 1000 that he won five times during his illustrious career.

“It’s been a very special week for me, very positive in many ways, both personally and for my tennis,” Nadal said on court. “I had the chance to play again on court. A few weeks ago, two days before Barcelona, I didn’t know if I would compete in an official match again and I’ve now played two weeks. It’s been unforgettable.

“The only thing I can say is ‘thank you’. It’s been an incredible journey that started when I was little. [snip]

“Looking at the pictures [on the banners], some of them seem like they were a lifetime ago,” said the Spaniard ...“All I can do is thank everyone who has helped me in my career. Even though it’s not over, this is the last time I’ll be in Madrid. You have given me a gift for the last 21 years that’s more significant than any Grand Slam I have won. The emotions of playing in Madrid, in front of the Spanish fans, is something that will stay with me forever.

“I’ve been lucky enough to be able to do a hobby as my job, and to do it exceptionally well. I feel so lucky to have had all these experiences. I couldn’t ask for more. I hope I’ve set a positive example for the new generations. That’s the most important thing. Titles and sporting moments are exciting.”  [snip]

“Sport generates excitement and emotion. I have experienced it as a fan,” he said. “From what I can see, I hope that I’ve created excitement and emotion for all of you. The only thing I can say is ‘thank you’. That’s all I can say. That’s how I feel. It was one of those days that are difficult when they arrive. I think that life and my body have been sending me messages for some time that this day had to come. “I’ve been lucky to do it at one of the places that has been the most emotional for me. Thank you.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 4

While I'm happy for Zverev, it is saddening that in lieu of a great victory for the guy, it's talk on the end of an era.  To best emulate Dr. Seuss, the thing is don't be sad that it's pretty much over for Nadal, be happy his run took place.

I'm not happy for Zverev, he's a serial sexual abuser. I wish anyone would have beaten Rafa except him or Novaxx. 

Rafa, well done. No one can take those 14 titles away from you. You will be greatly missed. *sob*

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

As mentioned in the past, I do not pay attention to what people do outside of their profession.  I don't look for the news, the news finds me.

It is fair that people are going to be upset with his victory.  I do wonder whether people will double down if he ever battled with Novak Djokovic.

I guess happy is not the best word to describe his outcome, so my fault with that.  However, it's still a win, and it still counts.  Outside of Tennis, he can either go to hell, do better in his decision making, or do nothing to where he isn't a topic for discussion.

Finally, shame on the ATP or whomever for allowing him to compete.  Given my past on watching the NFL & MLB with athletes that have done worse things playing the game after their wrongdoings, it's not unprecedented to see it in general.  Just odd for a pro that some see as a nobody.

• Like 2

If this indeed was Rafa's final French Open, I wish he could've lost to someone I don't actively loathe.

Even though time is inexorable and these inflection points are inevitable, it's really, really sad for me to be entering this post-Roger and Rafa tennis world.  They're the greatest sportsmen the game has seen and have done more for the sport globally than can really be quantified.  I don't care about the sport as much now as I did when they were playing because they're such inimitable champions.  No other player has inspired anywhere near as much passion in me.

Along those lines, if Djoker were walking down the streets of Paris tomorrow and killed by a rogue baguette, I wouldn't bat an eye.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Wow, what a thriller between Swiatek and Osaka. Haven't had Tennis Channel in many months and didn't even know Osaka was back! Was rooting for her to win, but regardless, she looked great.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

One would think, knowing how many athletes are injured while doing something in anger, that they would stop doing it.  I don’t know if Arthur Rinderknech was going to go far, and now we’ll never know.

• Like 2

I slept late today and woke up to find that Alcaraz and Sinner were still playing, I watched the end over breakfast without my glasses on.  It occurred to me, - and this has been an issue that caused me to buy new glasses this year - the little box that shows the scores is really tiny - this is also the issue with NBA games.  Yet with three announcers, Mac, Mary and whoever is hosting on NBC/Peacock - not one person bothered to call the score in all the time I was watching.  I squinted and still couldn't be sure.

What are visually impaired people supposed to do?

On the other hand, congrats to Carlos and I hope Casper wins the second semil

• Like 5
  • Love 1

At least the men's final should be competitive. Hope the women's will be too, but... congrats Iga. 😁

Be advised both finals are live on NBC.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, roseha said:

I slept late today and woke up to find that Alcaraz and Sinner were still playing, I watched the end over breakfast without my glasses on.  It occurred to me, - and this has been an issue that caused me to buy new glasses this year - the little box that shows the scores is really tiny - this is also the issue with NBA games.  Yet with three announcers, Mac, Mary and whoever is hosting on NBC/Peacock - not one person bothered to call the score in all the time I was watching.  I squinted and still couldn't be sure.

What are visually impaired people supposed to do?

On the other hand, congrats to Carlos and I hope Casper wins the second semil

THAT is my big bitch too!!!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

The guy calling the match with John and Mary touched on Zverev’s domestic abuse situation, and Mary scathingly said that Alexander told them in one of the press conferences that “they should never speak of it again” and Mary says “we’ll see how that goes”.

• Like 2
  • Fire 4
  • Love 1

Darn!  I was really hoping Naomi would beat Andreescu and go on to take the title this week.  I like Andreescu too, but not as much as Naomi.  The portion I was able to watch, they both looked close to their old, intimidating form.  

• Like 3

So far I’ve only seen Naomi’s match (on replay) but it’s great to see her playing well and looking positive.  I hope she has a good run.

• Like 3

Wow, crickets (not Cricket!) here for Wimbledon,  huh?  So disappointed that Coco is out as well as Naomi (my two favorites).  And the women’s remaining draw is remarkably charisma-free (except for the charming Paolini).  At the moment I feel about the Navarro the way I do about Tommy Paul.  I acknowledge they’re very good and have nothing against them except ... I don’t care.  Sigh.

I felt absolutely gutted for poor Keys, getting injured on the very verge of winning.

The men’s is starting to feel exciting, though.  A lot of good matchups coming up, and I’m psyched for it.  I AM NOT psyched at the prospect of Yuck-ovic winning again, however.

• Like 7

I haven't paid much attention to Wimbledon (I'm looking forward to the U.S. Open).  I just check the scores online.  Too bad about Coco and Keys, but I do like Paolini.

As far as the men, I'm fine with anyone winning but Djoker.  

• Like 4

To be honest, on a scale of ONE to TEN, I'll go with 25 for Novak winning.  The reasoning is purely simple: I have to choose between Joke OR Zverev.

I'm sorry but not sorry, but I will never bet my life on Alexander winning before doing the same for Djokovic.

Other than that, everyone else winning is good for me, especially Carlos and/or Sinner.  Too bad the women's side took a hit for the most part, but whoever wins there earned it, I think

• Like 1

I've been watching when I can, but haven't yet run into that match that makes me sit down and really get into it.

Iga going out was a shocker. Without her and Sabalenka, it will interesting to see who will seize the opportunity. Bummed for Keys and Dimitrov. 

• Like 2
(edited)

I would think that Rybakina is a heavy favorite to win her second Wimbledon, certainly at this point.  Ostapenko might make it interesting, but I would  have to think Elena will take it now.

On the men's side, I have to mention that my favorite young player, the talented Lorenzo Musetti, has just made his first Slam quarter, and at WImbledon no less!  He's having a great season on what was supposed to be his worst surface and it's great to see him finding his beautiful game on grass.   

Edited by roseha
  • Love 1

Same.  I don't know what I'd do if Joke vs Vzerez were an actual match.  Both would have had to win again on Wednesday I think but I guess I don't have to worry about whether it would've been possible if both players retired for whatever reason in the same match

• Like 1

Did you guys see this interview with Djerk after his match when he went off on the crowd for cheering for Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuune because he thought they were booing him instead? The guy has a real mental problem. With all the money and success he's had he still can't be gracious?

• Angry 2
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, shok said:

The guy has a real mental problem. With all the money and success he's had he still can't be gracious?

It's strange. He really ought to seek some mental help. He's stunted.

• Like 3

At this point, I wonder if he has just accepted the fact that most fans loathe him.  He's certainly not winning anyone over with his jerk comments and the violin thing he always does.

When was the last time a good player like this was so hated, at least in the United States?  I recall Martina in the 80s was not well liked, mainly because she was this cold robot always going up against America's Sweetheart Chris Evert (Lloyd).  Or Ivan Lendl always against John McEnroe.

• Like 2

Well with Sinner now out, Djerk's path to another title just became that much easier. I think he owns Med. Carlitos, we look to you, if you can get past Paul ( who is putting up a good fight). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

At this point, I wonder if he has just accepted the fact that most fans loathe him.

No, it will haunt him until his dying day that he's so hated.  He desperately wants to be loved and always has.  However, he's a spoiled, prevaricating, horrible piece of shit scum, and we the general public don't tend to like or root for those, and the only way such a creature reacts when it doesn't get its way is to lash out and throw a tantrum that would make even the brattiest toddler say, "Girl, you need to chill."

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 6

I mean, to be honest, winning is winning, and I respect the guy for it.

However?  Man.  It's sports.  People are going to hate you, even if you're the nicest person there!

It doesn't help that he's given everyone a reason to dislike him.  What I find vexatious is the fact that he does actually give a damn.  Pretty much many others would not give a damn.  In fact, they'd thrive from the heat

• Like 6

At this point, it looks like we have to hope for Alcaraz to defeat Djerk.  But who knows, maybe one of Musetti, Fritz or De Minaur can take out the Djerk, but it doesn't seem like good odds.  I don't think Fritz has ever beaten him.

Look at that face above... for someone who cares about being hated, he sure doesn't do anything to try and win anyone over.  What a total asshole.

• Like 5

No one was more hated than Med at the 2019 US Open, but I could not help laughing at his telling the crowd he would feast on their tears and all that. At least he was funny and had some sort of villain charisma. By the end of the epic 5 set final against Nadal, he had totally won the crowd over. 

I don't hate him or anything, but Novak just doesn't have the charm or humor or relatability to be that likeable. 

• Like 7
(edited)
49 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I don't hate him or anything, but Novak just doesn't have the charm or humor or relatability to be that likeable. 

I don't hate Medvedev (anymore) either.  He just doesn't give a damn, but he does it amusingly, unlike that other guy.

Although I was rooting for Sinner though.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Like 4

Meh.  He is who he is.  However, he has a point, I think.  A little more focused on the outcome of the game itself and less on the other stuff.

Still, you have to know that those questions were going to be asked.  Answers given by Novak that trend toward the guy being asked a different question is the way to go.  For instance, when asked about the crowd reaction, pretend you were asked about your next match or the previous one.  Shouldn't take 1-2 minutes but the Media would eventually get the point before your exit