Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Kimmy Goes to the Doctor!

The guy playing Coriolanus Burt (James Monroe Iglehart, currently playing the Genie on Broadway) was hilarious, particularly the way he smugly pronounces that he is very satisfied with his long distance service.  “Yes, I am happy with my long-distance service.  Very happy.”

Having seen the whole season now, I pronounce this the darkest joke on the show.

“I can’t support this.  I will not bury another beautiful black man.  You know my dear husband Roland was killed in our very own apartment."
“Yes, I’ve heard this story before.”
"He got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and on his way back to bed he was shot in the face."
"By you, Lillian."
"Well it was dark out and a black guy was trying to get in bed with me.  It was the 70s!”

• Love 19

Maybe it is related to my complete love of all thing Martin Short, but this was the episode that finally got me to truly fall in love with this show. The Carol Kane landlady character finally clicked and Tiddass was beyond amazing. LOVED the audition, LOVED his nemisis Corolanius, and especially LOVED his head shots. And I think they evened out the Kimmie character to show a little more dark humor.

• Love 6
He got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and on his way back to bed he was shot in the face."

"By you, Lillian

."

OMG, when said it was her, I laughed so loud.  Did not see/hear that coming! I love stuff like that.

Did Kimmy say to Titus after he took the tv off, I'm watching Law squiggle line Order?  :)

• Love 8

I actually could not look at the Martin Short character. I hope he will not be recurring. He did not need to be so disgusting!

He did need to be that disgusting. Has anyone seen how most plastic surgeons look like in real life?!

• Love 4
I'm watching Law squiggle line Order?

That line totally cracked me up because when I was in college there was a girl in my calculus class who left for spring break a week early and then came back a few days after spring break ended so she missed a lot of class (this class was five days a week). She had no idea what was going on and didn't think to go to try to catch up on her own or go to office hours. Instead she raised her hand and said, "What's that squiggly line?" Oh, the derivative sign? That thing we learned about two weeks ago?

I adore Martin Short, and am enjoying the show, but honestly, I cannot stand Martin Short in overdone, overmakeuped, overacted "comedy" mode.

When he just puts all of that crap away and acts, he's fantastic. But I hated him here (and that pains me because I really like and respect him as a performer).

I've enjoyed him in other circumstances, most especially in the "Merlin" miniseries (and I hated everyone else but he and Helena Bonham Carter), and best of all in "Damages," where he did a superb dramatic turn.

So why when he's being "funny" is he always covered in three feet of latex and bad makeup? I just think he's better than that, and I hate that I found him way more disturbing than funny here.

• Love 1

I didn't mind Martin's look, but it did feel kind of "Glick-y" to me, if that makes sense. That being said, I thought he was hilarious. But drugged up Kimmy trying to leave the office? Even better.

• Love 2

I saw this, and it was so sad to hear that the doctor took this parody so personally. Honestly, it wasn't even good comedy. It was too "Glickish," as OnceSane and others have noted. I wish the doctor had taken a deep breath, had seen the humor and honor in being immortalized (however badly) and moved on.

I hate the idea that any comedy anywhere would drive someone to this. I also deplore the effect this must have on Fey and Short, as I'm absolutely certain that while they are fine with comedy being difficult, they don't want to wreck lives with it. They just pointed out something funny and of course very well-known in Hollywood.

The worst part is of course that this could have meant half a dozen creepy plastic surgeons in LA or NYC. So I wish the doc here had seen it as an homage and just gone, "Oh, fuck all of you," than as an obliteration, if that makes sense. I'm sorry for his decision but hope he found peace, and if there is an afterlife, may he be ever taut and fabulous.

• Love 3

I stumbled on the obituary, saw the picture and thought, That doctor looks like the Martin Short character. Very sad if this characterization truly hurt him. It sounds like he was a very impressive doctor.

But. I've never believed that any one person or action is responsible for another's suicide. The fact that this man was willing to completely distort his appearance is a sign of great unhappiness, IMO.

• Love 3

I like Martin Short, but I couldn't look at him in all that makeup. Sorry to hear about that plastic surgeon, but the guy must have had a lot of other personal issues to commit suicide over the parody (if that's why he did it at all). It's like when people blamed Columbine on The Basketball Diaries. Millions of people have seen that movie, myself included, but only two of them got inspiration from it to shoot up their high school. I hope people aren't blaming Fey and Carlock for this. I'm all about removing the stigma from mental illness, but we can't hold everybody responsible for everyone else's emotional health.

Lillian's whole "There was a black guy trying to get into my bed! It was the '70s!" was pure genius.

"I'm watching Law Squiggle Order!"

I saw Aladdin on Broadway back in December, so it was awesome to see "Genie" on this show. Also, I had to laugh at the whole disastrous Spiderman production. I took theater in high school, and my teacher had an extreme hatred for musicals. The musical theater program was separate from the non-musical theater program at my school, and my teacher always resented how she was only left with the worst of us to do her spring productions because the better actors wanted to do the musical, which was in the actual auditorium while our productions got relegated to the much smaller black box. Anyway, when that whole mess with the real Spiderman Broadway musical was going on, she gave us practically daily updates on how the whole thing was falling apart, and you could tell she felt so vindicated by it. (I'm telling you, this woman was nuts about musicals. Our auditorium had gone up in smoke years ago and we all used to joke that she'd been behind it, as it had been ruled as arson but never solved.)

• Love 1
(edited)

I liked how Kimmy greeted the maid with "Shut up" - meaning she never even learned how to say hello in Spanish all those years living with the Spanish speaking lady! Poor lady :)

Where is Kimmy's family? Sorry if this has already been addressed.

ETA: As soon as I wrote that about the maid, I realized "Shut up" is probably how the lady in the bunker was greeting Kimmy :)

Edited by Maya
  • Love 1

I liked how Kimmy greeted the maid with "Shut up" - meaning she never even learned how to say hello in Spanish all those years living with the Spanish speaking lady! Poor lady :)

Where is Kimmy's family? Sorry if this has already been addressed.

ETA: As soon as I wrote that about the maid, I realized "Shut up" is probably how the lady in the bunker was greeting Kimmy :)

As for Kimmy's family 

we find out about them in one of the later episodes. Forget which one.

And very clever catch regarding "Caete, Vera!"

• Love 1

I stumbled on the obituary, saw the picture and thought, That doctor looks like the Martin Short character. Very sad if this characterization truly hurt him. It sounds like he was a very impressive doctor.

But. I've never believed that any one person or action is responsible for another's suicide. The fact that this man was willing to completely distort his appearance is a sign of great unhappiness, IMO.

Someone who was apparently close to him has come forward to say that the show wasn't the reason for his suicide: http://www.people.com/article/unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-not-cause-dr-fredric-brandt-suicide

Just watched this last night.  The Spiderman audition made me laugh so hard, especially the "we just want to see if you can keep acting with a Spiderman falling on you."  BWAH HA HA HA!!

When Kimmie and Titus went into the talent agency and she's smiling so huge and talking to Titus, did Ellie Kemper actually enunciate that clearly through her smile or did they ADR that because damn!

• Love 1

I watched the first few episodes unsure if I was being won over or not. Then, the Fabreeze parody commercials happened. "It smells like someplace you would take a baby." Yep,won over. :)

• Love 4

I just started watching this one myself.  First two episodes I wasn't won over.  Third one started getting better.  Then this one, with Dr. Franff and Titus' nemesis and Spiderrman on Broadway and Kimmy loaded on anesthesia and why Lillian shot her husband...now we're talking!

Edited by Dobian

I really like Martin Short, but Dr. Franff was a bit much at times.  I still laughed a few times (favorite bit was him squeezing his mouth together, so Kimmy/Jacqueline could finally understand what he was saying), but it's not a character I want to see all the time. I did love the pay-off of Kimmy giving an dramatic, inspirational speech that sounded great in her head, only to find out that it was barely coherent in real life, since she was loaded on anesthesia.

Got a kick out of Titus, his nemesis, and his attempt to get into "Spidermen" (I'm assuming all that was a riff on the craziness that surrounded the actual Spiderman Broadway play years ago.)

Lillian's story took me surprise, and I loved it.  Especially her "It was the 70s!" excuse.  And how Titus has heard it enough times that he really isn't fazed by it anymore.

Loved the Fabreeze spoofs.

• Love 2