Type keyword(s) to search

Geeks and Freaks: The Face Off Judges

Portia

Cool with you guys if we have a single topic for all the judges?

I think the success of this show is largely due to the quality of its judges and the fact that its panel has undergone very little change (and that for the better, in my opinion) over the course of six seasons. It took me a while to warm to Glenn, but I think he's crazy smart and not nearly as arrogant as he seems at first glance. Ve is hilarous and sweet, and I want to be her best friend and/or employee. And Neville?  I'm not gonna lie--I think he's super-hot.

• Love 1

I have to confess that I'm mildly curious about how Patrick Tatopolous working on a single movie out of the country was enough to get him replaced as a judge, but Ve has worked on multiple films--including The Hunger Games, for the next of which she hired Laura--during the show's run without any problems.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer Neville to Patrick, but I don't understand the logistics.  And he's clearly not looked badly upon by the show, because they bring him back about once a season.  Although maybe that's just to keep McKenzie happy?

If someone kills the skunk, maybe they could also buy Glen some bigger shirts? I know he's going for the buff look, but really, it just looks like he can't breathe. 

• Love 1

Oh no! I can't unsee it. Arrgghh! Now Glenn will always be a mutant cousin to the thing that Travolta was in Battlefield Earth. I agree that his shirts are on the odd side. (I'm attempting to be nice in the spirit of the friendly Face Off contestants.) I'm beginning to think he's shopping in the boys husky section & no one has the balls to tell him he needs to be buying grown up peoples clothes. 

• Love 2

Face Off Judges Ve Neill, Glenn Hetrick and Neville Page Compete for Charity

NEW YORK, NY – August 12, 2014 – On Tuesday, September 2 at 9 p.m. ET/PT, Syfy debuts Face Off: Judge Match, an all-new original special showcasing the incredible talents of Face Off’s Ve Neill, Glenn Hetrick and Neville Page, as they go head-to-head in a special make-up competition for their charity.  McKenzie Westmore will host the high-level and visually stunning competition.

For the first time in its seven-season history, Face Off fans will finally see the judges get their hands into the clay, pick up the brushes and show the audience their creative genius. For the competition, the judges will pair up with two team members -- a former Face Off all-star contestant, as well as a former champion -- to create a pair of living chess pieces designed to appear in a colorful, stylized fantasy film.  In keeping with Face Off’s current season theme of “Life and Death,” one of the characters must be pure and pristine while the other is evil and twisted.

Joining the judges to assist in the competition are all-stars and fan favorites Roy Wooley (seasons 3 and 5), Miranda Jory (seasons 2 and 5), Wayne Anderson (season 4) and previous Face Off champions Conor McCullagh (season 1), Anthony Kosar (season 4) and Laura Tyler (all-star from season 2 and season 5 champion).  At stake is a cash prize for the winning judge’s favorite charity and $5,000 for each of their team members.

The judges quickly learn what it’s like to be a contestant on Face Off.  Over the course of three days, they showcase their incredible talents and enjoy some friendly competition as they push each other to create characters of astonishing quality. It all culminates with astounding creations, making for a tough decision.  Multiple Academy-Award winner and world-renowned Hollywood makeup artist Michael Westmore (Mask, Star Trek and McKenzie’s dad), along with Academy-Award winning makeup artist Lois Burwell (Lincoln, Braveheart, Saving Private Ryan, War Horse, War of the Worlds) have the difficult task of choosing a champion.

Ve Neill is competing for A Window Between Worlds, a non-profit organization dedicated to using art as a healing tool for survivors of domestic violence. Glenn Hetrick is competing for The North Shore Animal League, the world’s largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization. Neville Page is competing for The Orangutan Foundation International, dedicated to the conservation of wild orangutans and their rainforest habitat.

Now I'm really looking forward to this.

• Love 2

Glenn looked almost completely "normal" last night - it was quite disorienting. His hair was all one color and actually combed, his facial hair was a standard type, and he was dressed quite conservatively. Has he been doing this all along this season, and I've just stopped paying attention?

I commented on the first episode that I think Glenn is looking quite handsome thus far.  The hair & guy-liner are less exaggerated to me, and his clothing is looking a bit more polished. 

Of course now that I've said that, he's gonna break out the freak-fashion & super-hair next episode....*LOL*

According to IMDb, Ve was born Mary Flores. I couldn't find any explanation of why and how she changed her name. Anyone know?

Also, I just noticed that VE NEILL is an anagram of NEVILLE. What does it mean?????

• Love 1

The integration and selection of Lois...this was a master class in how a change in judging lineups should be handled on reality competition shows.  She was fantastic, and as someone mentioned in the other thread her use of British words was a fun bonus.

I love Ve and really did not expect to like her replacement as much as I do. 

• Love 5

TV guide had a blurb about the upcoming season this month.  They did goof and say that Ve Neil is going to be a "new" judge.  They apparently don't read their own magazine since they didn't remember that she was one of the original judges.  

The reason this video exists is to show Natalie Dormer getting the side of her head shaved for Mockingjay. But it's got a bunch of Ve Neill and a little bit of Glenn Hetrick in it, so it's relevant to this thread. I knew that Ve did the Hunger Games movies, but it's one thing to "know" that, and it's another to watch her apply tattoos to Natalie Dormer's scalp.

• Love 5

Expanding on Monty's post, there are some nice bits of Ve and even Glenn on the Mockingjay 1 dvd, if anyone's interested...

Ve talks about doing more injury makeups and fewer glamour makeups than the previous two movies, as well as designing the looks for some new characters - namely Julianne Moore as Coin, Natalie Dormer as Cressida and Evan Ross as Messalla. There's a segment about how she designed the basic look for Cressida's tattoo, then Glenn expanded it and designed the individual pieces that were applied daily to Natalie Dormer's head, neck, and even arms. Glenn actually showed signs of a personality, and said jokingly he'd told Natalie to just get her head tattooed for real.

Also, Conor (season 1 winner) was shown in a few clips, and Ve called him out by name (and even mentioned Face Off!) for having designed the super realistic prosthetics used for Messalla's "piercings" - latex appliances that real piercings could be inserted through, and then applied seamlessly to Evan Ross's face and ears.

Ve also talked about what a huge job they had in creating injury and wound makeups for hundreds of extras in a scene where the characters visit a hospital full of bombing victims. She also mentions the makeup department had to work pretty hard to come up with realistic wound makeup that wouldn't garner the movie an R rating.

Ve seems like such a fun and talented lady, it's nice to see her outside of Face Off. And Glenn even seemed interesting, and wasn't as heavily styled as he is on the show (I found it an improvement). Just thought I'd share!

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 4
(edited)

On the recommendation of someone over in the Books forum, last night I purchased the audiobook of Cary Elwes's As You Wish, about the filming of The Princess Bride. I was just listening to it, and was pleased to hear him talk about his first day of filming, starting with the makeup application, which was done by Lois Burwell!

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 4

Now, if only they could have gotten Ve for the hat trick.  You know, like Face Off Voltron.

We would have had the greatest form language.  There would have been so much form language, we'd all have been sick of form language.

In case I haven't said it often enough........that Neville is one fine-looking man. It's become a running joke at my house that when he's introduced on FO, my husband beats me to the punch and starts cooing about how handsome he is. 

• Love 2