Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 3/2/15

3/2: Robert Smigel (comedian & writer – promoting “Night of Too Many Stars”)
3/3: Sigourney Weaver (actress – promoting movie “Chappie”)
3/4: Viachaslav Fetisov (retired Russian ice hockey player – promoting documentary “Red Army”)
3/5: Gerald Posner (author – promoting book “God's Bankers: A History of Money and Power at the Vatican”)

• Love 1

With all the sports personalities Jon has interviewed over the years, I've often wondered when and if he was ever going to have someone from the game of hockey as his guest. With former Soviet and NHL star Viachaslav Fetisov as his guest next Wednesday, it looks as if Jon finally will. The documentary Red Army seems interesting.

I wonder if Jon will go neener-neener at Fetisov over the whole Miracle on Ice, considering he was a member of the Soviet squad that lost to the Americans at Lake Placid in 1980?

Well Jon, I hope your misplaced faith in Republicans getting anything done in Congress was a facetious one, given the attitudes and behaviors of both John Boehner and James Inhofe, both of whom have "punch me" faces written all over them. Boehner for his kissy face response to a serious question, and Inhofe for suggesting that his grandchildren face a grave threat in gays existing and getting married than they do about global warming and climate change. Asswipes!

Nice tribute to Leonard Nimoy for the MoZ.

• Love 3

(sigh)...I'm still hazed after Jonny-bun's confrontation with Seth Rollins on WWE Raw. Glad he won it, even though it took the glamorous introduction of another wrestler (can't remember his name, grr) to distract Rollins. 

Call me an introvert but I was hesitant about Robert Smigel (at first) because I didn't know anything about his participation and striving force producing "The Night of Too Many Stars". Outside his "Triumph" puppet-character, he really is making a bigger impact with the cause, and I respect him for that. Also, after hearing about those auctions (and Paul Rudd on his knees to receive regurgitated food), I feel tempted to watch it Sunday. I'd like to see the finished scenario of Ollie-Scone committing a crime (probably a dream come for me since I have a story with a character based on his traits who would be destined to dispel the lives of the human race, which I guess is a crime).

Seriously, despite bookmarking itself for its sentimental highlights (that Katy Perry duet with Jodi), this year's "Night of Too Many Stars" sounds more intriguing now that comedians, actors, etc. participating in the auctions can have fun (and maybe be a lil' dirty) for a good cause. I await to see what other crazy auctions the show has in store.

BTW, you may also call me crazy, since the announcement of Jonny-bun's departure, I've been sensing there has been minimal use of correspondents. I know Jason is preparing for his departure (hopefully BEFORE Jonny-bun), and I haven't heard or seen Jessica Williams since the Twitter debate about being the host. I guess TDS wants to keep Jonny-bun on camera for as long as they can just to relish every moment of his presence before he goes.

(edited)

What was the MOZ? My DVR cut off.

It was the scene from the Simpsons episode Marge vs. the Monorail, where the solar eclipse took place and Leonard Nimoy opined how the cosmic ballet continues and the guy sitting next to him asked to switch seats with someone. They then showed Nimoy's name and timeline.

I think it's safe to say Rollins was wearing some solid cup to protect himself from the inevitable boot to the balls from Jonny Stew.

Edited by Victor the Crab
(edited)
Boehner for his kissy face response to a serious question

I wish we'd seen the response by the reporter/press corps to that. What an asshole Boehner is.

I can't wait for Sigourney Weaver tonight. She's one of my major crushes.

Edited by dubbel zout

I DVR'd Raw and just watched Jon's bit. He name-checked Mick and Stone Cold (love them both, do not care about Bruno, Gorilla, or Undie), but my favorite might've been calling Rollins' back-up guys Katzenjammers. Jon and I are both old enough to remember the color comics in the Sunday newspaper.

What made me very sad is that Triple H used to be beautiful and he very much isn't anymore. See what marrying a McMahon does to you? Damn.

Great of Jon to show old clips of Netanyahu fear mongering to people about Iran back in the late nineties. People should be tired of this gasbag's rhetoric by now, but obviously are not. Obama is smart in not listening to him. Boehner is not for inviting him over and kissing his ass with those pucker lips of his.

Aasif doesn't look bad with that goatee of his.

• Love 2

Sigourney Weaver was a fun interview.  But I still have no idea what Chappie is about.  Some commercials are advertising it as a philosophical movie about the nature of humanity and artificial intelligence. Other commercials are advertising it as a straight action movie, kind of like Robocop meets Terminator.  The interview seemed to lean more towards a philosophical movie, which I hope it is.

Sigourney Weaver was a fun interview.  But I still have no idea what Chappie is about.  Some commercials are advertising it as a philosophical movie about the nature of humanity and artificial intelligence. Other commercials are advertising it as a straight action movie, kind of like Robocop meets Terminator.  The interview seemed to lean more towards a philosophical movie, which I hope it is.

Did you see District 9?  I think it might be both.

I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed Monday's Olbermann joke.

Whatever a director did to convince the very handsome Hugh Jackman to put on the atrocious flat mullet wig I'm seeing in the trailers for Chappie must be very blackmail-y indeed. 

I rode an elevator with Sigourney Weaver once. I restrained myself from squeeing and mauling her with hugs. She was just as pretty without any makeup at all.

I thought Aasif's goatee kinda Tony-Starked him up, which shouldn't be a goal imo, but yeah: kinda hot anyway.

I noticed it for the first time in Monday's show, but John Boehner's voice is really morphing into Tom Brokaw's. Scary.

• Love 2

Did you see District 9?  I think it might be both.

I loved District 9. What a great movie. I haven't seen Elysium, but I read that wasn't very good. So I don't know what to expect from Chappie. I think the title is pretty bad. 

"I'd like to thank WWE for showing my son and I a good time." Et tu, Jon? Sigh.

I rode an elevator with Sigourney Weaver once. I restrained myself from squeeing and mauling her with hugs. She was just as pretty without any makeup at all.

I'm not sure I could have been so polite. Hee. Love her. I wish her jacket had been a bit bigger. 

• Love 3

I haven't seen Elysium, but I read that wasn't very good.

I liked it pretty well (and I'm generally down on the dystopic future genre of flick). Damon was good, Jodie Foster got to speak French, interesting ideas to contemplate about the haves v the have nots.

I clearly understand why the US/Israel relationship is important, and it's literally my job to understand the Iran nuclear issue.

This was massively short sighted by Congress though. Sanctions got Iran to negotiate. They aren't going to be lifted carte blanche.

Bottom line, this Obama hatred has seriously damaged national security and what little security there is in the region.

I wouldn't meet with the PM either. He needs to be checked.

• Love 6

Wow! So Hillary Clinton may have set up her email account differently while SoS, and it becomes A NEW BENGHAZI THAT WILL CRIPPLE HER CHANCES OF BECOMING PRESIDENT!!!!! These next two years are going to be so agonizingly painful.

Would not shock me the least if gun loon Noel Flasterstein was in the early stages of mental illness. That guy is like the measles virus, he should not be anywhere near children. Yet another reason for me not to go to Florida.

Enjoyed the interview with Viacheslav Fetisov, although I do take issue with Jon describing the hockey battles as USA vs. USSR, because the truly big international battles were between Canada and the Soviets, going back to the game changing 1972 Summit Series and including several Canada Cup series, the best of which was the three game final in 1987 where Fetisov, his fellow Green Unit members, and the rest of the Soviet hockey team took on Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, and Team Canada for the best hockey ever played (saying this as Canada prevailed with, my boy from my favourite hockey team the Pittsburgh Penguins, Lemieux scoring the tournament winning goal with a pass from Gretzky with 1:34 remaining in the final game).

But its so good to see Jon interested in talking with Fetisov about his hockey career and about the pressures and difficulties he and his Soviet teammates had to endure both on and off the ice. Jon is correct in stating that we didn't notice the human side with the team. We Canadians (and Americans who cared about hockey) wanted to see the Soviets beaten badly because it truly was an us vs them mentality. But it changed after Russian players were allowed to play in the NHL in the late eighties, early nineties. And I liked how Fetisov explained the good feeling he got in Detroit when, as a member of the Red Wings, he helped bring the Stanley Cup back to the Motor City after a 50+ year drought. I would know about this as my brother is a die in the wool Red Wings fan who waited his entire life for that moment when captain Steve Yzerman lifted the Cup over his head for the first time in 1997.

Oh, Victor. When will you learn that if we Americans weren't involved, it doesn't matter (and practically didn't happen)?

I'm more of a casual hockey fan, but I'm looking forward to seeing the documentary. It really was Us vs Them, with every Soviet win a strike against Freedom and Liberty. I am glad those days are (largely) over.

Hillary, Hillary, Hillary. For such a smart lady, you are TERRIBLE at optics.

• Love 2

My roommate back then in then in the 908 was a wings fan, and it was a big deal when the Russians were signed.

Ugh. That lawyer. He's the kind of person that I don't think actually believes what he was saying. That's why he was being so obtuse. It's his job to just obfuscate and inveigle.

Oh, Victor. When will you learn that if we Americans weren't involved, it doesn't matter (and practically didn't happen)?

Huh-Huh. Of course if you told that to one of the many die hard hockeypucks in this hockey mad country of ours, they'd go near fatwa on you.

(edited)

During one of the Gulf Wars I was living within range of the CBC. I was shocked--shocked, I tell you--to find out that, contrary to what U.S. news led me to believe, there were other countries beside the U.S. and whoever we were bombing involved. And I was stunned to discover, also thanks to the CBC, that the U.S. competed against other countries in the Olympics. After American coverage, I'd figured U.S. athletes only competed against each other because I heard nothing about athletes from elsewhere.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 3

I thought that 'Ferguson piece' was one of the worst segments Jon has ever done on his show. Both sides are right to be angry? I know Jon is big on false equivalence when it comes to politics but to try and make a situation like the racism in Ferguson (and elsewhere in the US) 'equal' is just beyond the pale. I was so disgusted I couldn't watch the rest of the show.

Yeah, it seemed off to me, too.

Making fun of Putin never gets old for me. Putin on the Hits was a good one. I also enjoyed Jon's Russian accent.

I wonder if Pope Francis will respond to Posner's letter.

I thought that 'Ferguson piece' was one of the worst segments Jon has ever done on his show. Both sides are right to be angry? I know Jon is big on false equivalence when it comes to politics but to try and make a situation like the racism in Ferguson (and elsewhere in the US) 'equal' is just beyond the pale. I was so disgusted I couldn't watch the rest of the show.

It was my impression that Jon reported on what the Attorney General's office determined, i.e. the AG's office said they were "equal", Jon didn't.  Agreed that its incredible that anyone could conceivably claim the sides were in any way "equal" or even close thereto.  Of course, that's part of what Jessica's bit was about.

• Love 1

i.e. the AG's office said they were "equal", Jon didn't.

No, the AG's office most definitely did NOT say they were equal - they said the complete opposite. The right wing and their media are trying to somehow equate the two different reports because the AG said the evidence wasn't clear enough to bring civil rights charges against Wilson but they were scathing in their report of the rampant racism in Ferguson. Jon ran with the right wing meme and that was what annoyed me so. And he did it again last night. I'm done with him.