Type keyword(s) to search

S30: Joaquin Souberbielle

Donny Ketchum
  • Start Topic

Honestly . . . I don't know how he wasn't targeted for the first vote.  Carolyn, Shirin, Max, and Tyler had all agreed that they trusted him just as much as they trusted So: not at all.  So it's frankly unbelievable to me that So took the fall and he didn't.  Especially since what they'd lied about came from his dumb decision to go for "Deceive."

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 2

Honestly . . . I don't know how wasn't targeted for the first vote.  Carolyn, Shirin, Max, and Tyler had all agreed that they trusted him just as much as they trusted So: not at all.  So it's frankly unbelievable to me that So took the fall and he didn't.  Especially since what they'd lied about came from his dumb decision to go for "Deceive."

Well in defense of the rest... you can only vote out one person at a time.

Also, they didn't really know which of the two of them was behind the deceive thing. And even if they had, maybe the person who made that decision was the stupider of the pair (thus less of a threat).

Of course the most likely reason So went is because as much as we hate to hear it, a truth of this game is that women tend to target women sooner than men. In the majority of the seasons, at least.

• Love 1

Of course the most likely reason So went is because as much as we hate to hear it, a truth of this game is that women tend to target women sooner than men. In the majority of the seasons, at least.

I think the men probably made it clear to them that they wouldn't vote out any of the other men because of their "challenge strength". So then the women were left scrambling and didn't think to team up with each other and either force a tie or convince a guy to side with them.

• Love 1

I think the men probably made it clear to them that they wouldn't vote out any of the other men because of their "challenge strength". So then the women were left scrambling and didn't think to team up with each other and either force a tie or convince a guy to side with them.

From the outside we know they would have had the numbers. We saw that the TWO women had one of the guys.

The real test will be if this slimebag survives another tribal.

• Love 1

Keeping a strong untrustworthy guy around for challenges doesn't make the same sense that it used to. These days, tribal shuffles are the norm, not the exception, so he may well end up working against whatever team you're on.

However, at least he'll be an obvious merge target. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Keeping a strong untrustworthy guy around for challenges doesn't make the same sense that it used to. These days, tribal shuffles are the norm, not the exception, so he may well end up working against whatever team you're on.

However, at least he'll be an obvious merge target. 

I think it's worth noting that when TWoP was still up and running, nearly everyone came down hard on Kass, Tasha, and J'Tia for blindsiding Garrett, a big, strong man, early in Cagayan.  But as much as they wanted to keep him around, Garrett was trying way too hard to control the whole tribe, keeping everyone from talking and forming strategies, and Tasha and J'Tia knew it.  They eventually realized that they couldn't trust him and got Kass to see that he wasn't trustworthy.  So they took matters into their own hands and voted him out second.  Not good for their muscle, but they got a new lease on life with the swap, anyway.  (Or Tasha and Kass did, anyway.  J'Tia's own uselessness got her voted out the week before the swap.)

Last season had a similar situation on Coyopa, when Josh decided he couldn't trust John Rocker and got Alec, Wes, Jaclyn, and Baylor together to blindside him out of the game, despite him also being a big, strong man.  The very next week, Natalie and Missy got Kelley, Julie, and Jeremy to betray Drew, another big, strong man, because he way-too-openly targeted the women of Hunahpu, costing said women any trust they could've had in him.  And sure enough, Hunahpu didn't suffer for it much, as the tribal swap came up next, and they got some more big, strong men on their tribe, anyway.

Point being?  @CletusMusashi is right that an untrustworthy guy being kept around just because he's strong is nonsensical.  If you feel a tribal swap is coming or may come soon, then don't hesitate to drop him.  Just like those I listed above did.  A swap just might mitigate any potential dangers like it did for them.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 4

So far he seems to be a dangerous sleeper.  The way he manipulated So into deceive and then even more importantly telling the lie and being the front person for it all, taking all the blame and in a very chill understated manner.  Also, at least give with what has been shown, he didn't jump into the fray and defend or over defend himself when So revealed info at tribal.

Sometimes least said soonest forgotten.  It can be best to let people come up with their own mental scenarios to forgive or forget if that's what they want to do anyway. 

I'll be interested in seeing if this first episode event comes up later down the road. 

Kind of what I thought of Ozzy in his first appearance, didn't like him much at first then got so mesmerazed by his amazing poetry in motion hat as much as I loved Yul I would have been ok with him as a winner (probably the first and only time I felt that way going into a finale). Bobby Jon was also a bit of an ass at the beginning of Palau, so who knows, Joaquin might turn out to be someone we love to watch.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I thought he was sort of funny in that scene w naked chick and Tyler(?).  Just in the way he was dressed.  I mean I get that all you got is what you came in, but why would you tuck in your brooks brother shirt and put your belt on to stand around on the beach?  It made him look oddly nerdy which he has not seemed at all. 

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 2

I'm surprised that anyone's giving any passes this week.  The reason he hasn't made any jerkish comments lately is because Masaya wasn't shown a lot this week.  I'm sure with more airtime, he'll provide some more negative moments.

Sorry.  Not even close to being on his train yet.

• Love 4

He's in a secret scene from this ep whining to Tyler and Max about So getting voted out. Telling them they're dumb, the tribe is weak now, and that he thinks Shirin got into their heads. I don't know whether to be happy he thinks Shirin has the ability to do that or annoyed that he's blaming a woman for it.

• Love 4

He's in a secret scene from this ep whining to Tyler and Max about So getting voted out. Telling them they're dumb, the tribe is weak now, and that he thinks Shirin got into their heads. I don't know whether to be happy he thinks Shirin has the ability to do that or annoyed that he's blaming a woman for it.

For me, it's both.  Good that he thinks that a woman was smart enough to do it, but bad to think that one made the guys look like idiots for doing it.

But yeah, I saw that scene, and it's case in point that he's still a douche.

• Love 2
(edited)

Interesting that.  It sort of answers my question of what happened to Shirin as the boot.  I couldn't figure out how she went from the first obvious choice due to her losing the challenge for all of a few seconds before it went to...C?  and then So. 

This sounds like Shirin was doing some lobbying and stratgey whic was never shown.

I'm not saying he's not a bit of a douche although in the article below he says not.  I'm saying he looked to have a little game, a sort of stealthy quiet game.  But its early yet.    I did not know he's from Long Island, no accent.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/reality-tv/survivor-contestant-joaquin-souberbielle-reflects-on-grueling-competition-1.9959246

C

Cabana Boy!

Souberbielle, 27, director of marketing at Five Towns Neurology in Lynbrook, will compete on the White Collar team, going up against the working-class Blue Collar team and the free-spirited No Collar team when the series returns on Feb. 25, CBS announced Wednesday.

Souberbielle -- who attended Valley Stream Central High School through junior year and Lynbrook High School his senior year -- comes himself from a blue-collar family. His taxi-driver father and manicurist mother are the parents of four other children -- younger sister Romina and younger brothers Kaylen, Fabian and Santiago -- and he has two stepsiblings, German and Gaston. Growing up, his own blue-collar jobs included working as a cabana boy for three years, he told Newsday in an email via CBS.

"If I go to an interview, I get it," the University at Albany graduate says on his introductory "Survivor" video. "Largely in part because I can just talk my way in and out of everything. . . . I'm the alpha male, usually, and everywhere I go, I try to be," he says -- adding, after a moment's consideration, "No, I am. Always."

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 1

My hate for him after this episode is real after he reprimanded Shirin for being a "paranoid, panicked woman". Stopping at paranoid and panicked would have been fine, but he had to go full douche.

Oh and his voice is awful. It's nasal and whiny and horrible to listen to.

• Love 3

I don't think he looks bad on the show, though I tend to agree it's his hair that's sort of off putting.  He looks like a taller, buffer Ozzy to me.  Joaquin's an interesting one.  I don't like him (yet), and while I originally thought Shirin might be in danger of leaving if WC lost another challenge, I'm not sure that was going to be the case.  Tyler and Joaquin may have been annoyed by her, though I think Max would have kept her and Carolyn around for loyalty purposes.  So Joaquin may have very well followed his one-time ally So in taking the walk of shame.  With the swap coming up, it'll be interesting to see how well he meshes with the other contestants.  Haven't seen much game play from him, but I think he's taking the under the radar approach for now. 

Joaquin does look great in that photo.  He and Joe know how to rock the "manbuns".

Edited by LadyChatts

Ugh.  In a lot of ways, he and Rodney seem like a match made in heaven.  Or hell.  Your choice.

I feel like they're looking in the mirror when they talk to each other.  One day Joaquin's going to see some food stuck between Rodney's teeth and will try and get it out of his own teeth (and wonder why he's not succeeding).

• Love 5

I'm kind of sorry to see Joaquin go.  He was prettier to look at than Rodney, and he didn't annoy me to the extent that his 'bro' did.  Still, the look on Rodney's face was well worth it, not to mention the wrath we'll see next week.  

I am curious what it was about Joe that Joaquin and Tyler didn't seem to bother with him much.  In some post show interviews, Joaquin mentioned Rodney looked like the kind of guy that he'd hang out with back home, and that Joe seemed to get close to Mike right off the bat.  Maybe it's a ringing endorsement that Joe doesn't look like the kind of guy Joaquin hangs out with back home.  He didn't seem wise to the fact that they were going to throw the challenge until it happened, although some of his answers in interviews confused me about that.  I'm just glad I don't have to hear 'bro' all season long (or some other stupid nickname they came up with).  And I really don't know what it was that made him think Sierra owed him.  Because he brought her into an alliance with someone she loathed?

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

From his interview with Cochran - the Bromance lives on!

Cochran: Let’s talk more about your relationship with Rodney.  Watching at home, it was clear how intense the bromantic passion he had for you really was.  You, on the other hand, seemed slightly less bromantically attached.  Was this a true bromance, or was it kind of one-sided? 

Joaquin: Listen, like I said, you go out there and you’re with these people you can’t vibe out with, and then Rodney probably saw me and was like, “Finally, another bro — somebody I can talk to about girls and going out and partying.”  He’s my very good friend even to this day.  We talk almost every single day.  He’s come down to visit — we’ve gone out for New Year’s Eve. We cause a lot of trouble together.  So it’s definitely mutual — that’s my boy right there.

Same interview answering the why not Joe question:

Joaquin: The thing is, I got there and I don’t know what went on the prior twelve or thirteen days before I arrived.  So I finally see somebody I could vibe out with and talk about real things and laugh with.  Rodney’s a clown — he’ll make anybody laugh.  He’ll also make you want to kill him, but that wasn’t the case with me.  Of course, looking back, I probably should’ve taken Joe — the thing is, I was worried about bringing Joe into the merge and having four No-Collars on the other side and then him linking up, making it five, and then that would’ve been a disaster.  Honestly, I thought everyone was thinking the same way as me.  Unfortunately, they were not.

He ends the internvew with "I hope to be able to do it again sometime"

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 2

in Rob Has a Podcast he swears a lot and claims that Mike was upset because Joaquin stole his "hot piece of ass". Three times

Yeah, I am thrilled that he is gone

At least Rob asked if Sierra likes being called a "hot piece of ass"

Edited by ProfCrash
  • Love 5

Hi.  I'm likely going to be very annoying.

If anyone out there still has a lingering hope that "likely," is still a possibility, listen to the Rob has a Podcast exit interview, and see if you can pinpoint the moment when your dreams are dashed.  Because they will be.

I don't know where his "white collar" marketing job is, but he better put down roots, 'cause any HR department worth its salt will listen to that, get out the big red rubber stamp, and slap a hearty "No F'n Way" on any applications he send their way.

• Love 3

I don't know where his "white collar" marketing job is, but he better put down roots, 'cause any HR department worth its salt will listen to that, get out the big red rubber stamp, and slap a hearty "No F'n Way" on any applications he send their way.

Unfortunately I have worked at places where this kind of talk was common and HR didn't care unless a crime was being committed. Management at these places was always looking for new awesome dudes to "bro up with" and "vibe out with" (if I understand those terms correctly). If they ask you if you have a girlfriend, you better make one up so you don't look queer to them.

• Love 1

four other children -- younger sister Romina and younger brothers Kaylen, Fabian and Santiago -- and he has two stepsiblings, German and Gaston. 

I can't get over those names.  Someone liked drama and pretension.  

I can't get over those names.  Someone liked drama and pretension.

Can't agree.  The only one that seems a little off is Kaylen.  The rest fit the surname and may be family names as far as that goes.  A lot of people in NYC/NJ/Long Island are first and second generation European immigrants and have these kinds of given names.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2

Same interview answering the why not Joe question:

Joaquin: The thing is, I got there and I don’t know what went on the prior twelve or thirteen days before I arrived.  So I finally see somebody I could vibe out with and talk about real things and laugh with.  Rodney’s a clown — he’ll make anybody laugh.  He’ll also make you want to kill him, but that wasn’t the case with me.  Of course, looking back, I probably should’ve taken Joe — the thing is, I was worried about bringing Joe into the merge and having four No-Collars on the other side and then him linking up, making it five, and then that would’ve been a disaster.  Honestly, I thought everyone was thinking the same way as me.  Unfortunately, they were not.

He ends the internvew with "I hope to be able to do it again sometime"

I thought it was pretty obvious how Sierra felt about the guys she had been stuck with, since she started right in as soon as she got her new tribe members.  Maybe it came across more obvious watching than it did out there, but from Sierra's comments, to even Rodney's comments about how he felt about his tribe mates, I felt like that should have sent up a red flag to Joaquin that maybe he was aligning with the wrong guy (or should have talked some sense into his bro about the dangers of throwing a challenge when you don't need to).  And even if Joe made the merge and brought in his 3 NC, if Joaquin had aligned with him Joe might have brought him into their fold.  He still had Tyler/Carolyn, and maybe he could have still had Rodney and Sierra on his side at the merge.  Also, in a couple of interviews, it sounded like Joaquin didn't even know they were 100% throwing the challenge until they got there and he was sitting on the sidelines.

However, the above is one of many reasons I would absolutely suck at Survivor-I'd be as oblivious as the next person as to what's going on out there.

Edited by LadyChatts

Tinder. He was found through fing Tinder. Seriously? Just ugggggghhhh

"Reality TV World: How were you cast on Survivor? If you applied, was this your first time? 

Joaquin Souberbielle: I never applied to be on the show at all honestly. I was just at the right place at the right time. I was actually on the app Tinder going back and forth, and I linked up with this beautiful blonde Ali, who took me under her wing and took me all the way to the finals. And I ended up getting on the show just by being at the right place at the right time."

• Love 3

Wow. I don't even really know how to respond to that.

Now I'm scared they'll find the entire cast of the next Big Brother on Tinder.

Would it honestly make a difference on that show??

• Love 3

Can't agree.  The only one that seems a little off is Kaylen.  The rest fit the surname and may be family names as far as that goes.  A lot of people in NYC/NJ/Long Island are first and second generation European immigrants and have these kinds of given names.

Joaquin is a first or second gen European immigrant?  

Just getting around to watching the "Day After" videos of the booted contestants and was intrigued by Joaquin's take on his game. 

He saw himself as a challenge monster and social threat, which is not at all the way I thought of him but then again the editing has been weird this season. 

He was pretty good in challenges, but he's remembering it as him being first on the mat every single time...which seems to be Joe's thing. Outside of nailing the basketball throwing in that one challenge, I don't remember him standing out from the pack.

But the social thing is what I really didn't see. In fact, it surprises me that he's a marketing director because he just doesn't seem very animated or articulate. I can't picture him selling anyone on anything.

He also didn't seem particularly friendly to anyone, save So and Rodney, but several people said that they loved him, so again, it seems like editing is at play. 

• Love 1