Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: What's Up Doc?

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

11 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

How weird!  This post relates to "Big Brother" and I typed it in that forum but it showed up here, in "ER".  Very strange.  Anyway, Alex is on "Big Brother".

In that case, I will stop wondering who "Alex" was on ER!  I have it on while at the computer, so don't catch every patient name!  But ER is my summer show!  (reruns for me, but the plots feel new)

• Love 1

Since I haven't seen this show in years and years, almost everything seems new. Hubby and I watched three last night alone. I know the major plot points coming up, but forgot most of the other stuff. I'm becoming addicted to this show again.

• Love 4

The show really holds up very well.  Of course there have been medical advances since then, but emergency cases are still very similar when they present.  It's really about the characters and plots, within each episode and over seasons, and all of that is much more durable than I had thought.

42 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Since I haven't seen this show in years and years, almost everything seems new. Hubby and I watched three last night alone. I know the major plot points coming up, but forgot most of the other stuff. I'm becoming addicted to this show again.

• Love 2

I'm watching Season two on Pop! and man, this is great. Everything about this season is great. All the characters are distinctive and work so well together. Mark Greene is just the man and I love the way Carter is getting stronger and yet still the Carter that isn't saddled with so much pain. This show always had the right tone and even when it was a little overdramatic in this season and had a few issues with the plots, it never went into stunt territory. I know "Hell and High Water" was more of a vessel for Clooney to get the big time career he wanted but he was always part of the "team" and his character was part of many. 

This show really set the stage for the way we look at TV today and like others have said, has stood up to time. I suspect it will always be watachable.

• Love 5

I rewatched the last episode of season 1 this morning (Carol's non-wedding). One detail I liked--she had several ER friends as bridesmaids but not every bridesmaid was an ER person or even someone we knew. Unlike a lot of shows where every single person in the wedding party has to be a known character as if the person getting married only knows 5 people or something.

• Love 4
(edited)
10 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I rewatched the last episode of season 1 this morning (Carol's non-wedding). One detail I liked--she had several ER friends as bridesmaids but not every bridesmaid was an ER person or even someone we knew. Unlike a lot of shows where every single person in the wedding party has to be a known character as if the person getting married only knows 5 people or something.

That's a really good point.  Although I did wonder why she put the bridesmaids into that same pink they wore as nurses, when she had said earlier in the season how sick she was of wearing pink!

For some reason, POP skipped the post-Halloween-disaster Season 5 episode in the reruns this week -- and a lot happens in the skipped episode ("Stuck on You":  search for ER chief really pushes aside Dr. Weaver after the Boston doc turns them down; Carter is evicted from the dorm; Corday becomes Benton's intern, and a couple of other key plot points that had me going "huh"? when the next episode started with Carter in Weaver's basement and Ansbaugh as interim ER chief.  Loved Weaver's possessiveness about her CDs:  "Feel welcome to listen to anything you want, but don't touch them, just let me know.  I've had to develop this policy; I've rented to students before."

And in the Saturday reruns is the couple who chopped off the husband's arm ("chop, chop") because they only had three days of insurance left.  How on earth does that make any sense?  Then he has no arm, or a slew of post-op medical needs, and no insurance.  You don't get free insurance because you are injured.  Not even in the 1990s.  (!) 

21 minutes ago, emjohnson03 said:

I'm watching Season two on Pop! and man, this is great. Everything about this season is great. ...This show really set the stage for the way we look at TV today and like others have said, has stood up to time. I suspect it will always be watachable.

Dear TV executives, please never get the idea that you can remake ER.  Just no.  It is perfect as it is. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, jjj said:

That's a really good point.  Although I did wonder why she put the bridesmaids into that same pink they wore as nurses, when she had said earlier in the season how sick she was of wearing pink!

. . . . .

Loved Weaver's possessiveness about her CDs:  "Feel welcome to listen to anything you want, but don't touch them, just let me know.  I've had to develop this policy; I've rented to students before."

And in the Saturday reruns is the couple who chopped off the husband's arm ("chop, chop") because they only had three days of insurance left.  How on earth does that make any sense?  Then he has no arm, or a slew of post-op medical needs, and no insurance.  You don't get free insurance because you are injured.  Not even in the 1990s.  (!) 

1. totally agree on the pink. I know it's a cliché to use ugly dresses but seemed like an odd choice. Not what you'd think she would have picked.

2. I loved the CD part. So Kerry. At first you think she's going to say "feel free to listen to my CDs." But of course she isn't

3. I did not follow the logic of the arm chop either.

• Love 3

Upon re-watch of the series, I realize how serious Dr. Greene was most of the time.  Between his wife leaving him, and losing a patient here and there (especially the pregnant lady in Love's Labor Lost), and losing his Mom and Dad,  he seemed to have a black cloud following him.  Other than the occasional basketball game with Ross, Mark doesn't seem to let his guard down and have fun.  Granted, that's kind of hard to do in an E.R.!

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Wait, he lost his mom and dad too??? I just watched the episode where he visits them in San Diego!

Yep, he loses his mom first, in Season 5, we find out she has dementia towards the end of Season 4.  His father comes to Chicago in Season 6 and is around for the stabbings, even has a fling with Corday's mom.  He has lung cancer and dies at Mark's apartment by the end of the season.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Upon re-watch of the series, I realize how serious Dr. Greene was most of the time.  Between his wife leaving him, and losing a patient here and there (especially the pregnant lady in Love's Labor Lost), and losing his Mom and Dad,  he seemed to have a black cloud following him.  Other than the occasional basketball game with Ross, Mark doesn't seem to let his guard down and have fun.  Granted, that's kind of hard to do in an E.R.!

I find him to be the glue that held all those characters for the first 5 seasons or so. And I agree, he got really saddled with so much, which is what happened to Carter as the show progressed and they focused so much on DRAMA! that you never got to see those sweet and fun moments.

And even though he is pretty serious, it makes sense because someone needed to be the leader (and one can make the argument Kerry tried but as you saw especially with Scott) she was too administrative and too rigid for her to take that role of leader.

And watching all these old episodes, man do I love Doug and Mark together as friends. I find their relationship so dynamic and yet so wonderful. Benton and Carter too but for different reasons. I don't think the show ever really could find the magic that the first 5 or 6 seasons provided. I can't even watch the later seasons because it doesn't feel like the ER that I just love. None of the original characters translate well into the new ones and it got to be such a drag.

The show knew it was pretty special early on but it didn't get ahead of itself. By the time Clooney left, I felt they knew how good they were and they just went for drama, action, tears, angst and all around sadness. It just wasn't the same. But when you go for 25 episodes a season, that will happen. My how has TV changed its dynamics! Thank goodness for so many episodes in those early seasons!

• Love 5
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 2:51 PM, Automne said:

I love Mariska Hargitay, but Cynthia is really annoying. She's what my favorite sommelier would call a "needy little bitch."

I echo this--and rewatching Cynthia made me really appreciate MH as an actress. She truly seems like a different person than her SVU role. Definitely not an actress who seems to play the same role each time.

watching the shows back to back to back quickly on Pop really makes the dark cloud over Mark more evident. It stood out less to me back when it was airing once a week because things seemed more spread out.

• Love 2

I just bought seasons 7 and 8 on Amazon because I've been enjoying the series so much. I forget how much of the original I watched, had to stop as we had kids who grew up and had activities and generally got busy with life. Now that both are in college, I'm having fun watching the whole series all over again. I'll probably wind up buying the rest of the seasons unless I find another way to watch the show.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Yep, he loses his mom first, in Season 5, we find out she has dementia towards the end of Season 4.  His father comes to Chicago in Season 6 and is around for the stabbings, even has a fling with Corday's mom.  He has lung cancer and dies at Mark's apartment by the end of the season.

I really appreciated the episodes when Mark's father (can't remember either the character's or the actor's name) came to live with him when he was sick.  The acting was superb and the subtlety of their scenes struck a chord with me and my own Mother after I became her caregiver when she had dementia.  Yes, I realize Mark's mother had dementia and I'm talking about his father, but it still worked.  For instance, the two were eating dinner one night ... meatloaf ... and dad commented that his mother always served peas with meatloaf, not string beans (although I call them green beans).  Little stuff like that, that was lost in the later seasons.  Maybe that's why I appreciated them so much.  And when his dad did eventually die, Mark kissed him sweetly on the lips.  That was something.

I agree that Mark was the glue that held all the ER characters together.  Well done, ER.

• Love 2

I said this before, but since the subject of Mark's parents has come up, I'll say it again, because it moved me that much.  On one hand, I feel so sorry for Mark losing both his parents in a relatively short period of time.  But, on the other, I know that if his mom hadn't died first, he and his father would never have resolved some of their differences and truly got to know each other for the first time in Mark's life.  If Mrs. Greene was still alive when Mr. Greene (I can't remember their names) got sick, she'd have taken care of him in San Diego, while Mark would have called his mom to check in, kept tabs on the medical care, and maybe come to visit once or twice.  The father/son relationship would have stayed as it was, and Mr. Greene would have died without either of them having any semblance of closure about it.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I said this before, but since the subject of Mark's parents has come up, I'll say it again, because it moved me that much.  On one hand, I feel so sorry for Mark losing both his parents in a relatively short period of time.  But, on the other, I know that if his mom hadn't died first, he and his father would never have resolved some of their differences and truly got to know each other for the first time in Mark's life.  If Mrs. Greene was still alive when Mr. Greene (I can't remember their names) got sick, she'd have taken care of him in San Diego, while Mark would have called his mom to check in, kept tabs on the medical care, and maybe come to visit once or twice.  The father/son relationship would have stayed as it was, and Mr. Greene would have died without either of them having any semblance of closure about it.

That is a great point.  I think both Mark and his father were both surprised at each other and what they learned -- and you are right that it never would have happened if Mark's mother had been the caretaker back in San Diego.  I honestly feel like I am seeing some of these episodes for the first time, although I know I saw them all when they first aired.  Now, I feel like I am learning more about people I know, and really appreciating the continuity of the show in these earlier seasons.  Saw Corday and the trumpet player today -- I guess we are supposed to assume that she was agreeable to providing him with his possibly last sexual experience after dinner?  He pretty much asked her for that in the hallway.  He was quite charming without being at all creepy about it.   

• Love 1
11 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I really appreciated the episodes when Mark's father (can't remember either the character's or the actor's name)

David Greene, played by the amazing John Cullum.  The man is 87 years old now, and still working.

• Love 3

Cullum is most famous for playing Holling on Northern Exposure, and so David Greene's nickname in all the Mighty Big TV ER recaps by Sars and Wing Chun was "Holling." That led to maybe my favorite title ever for a Mighty Big TV or TWoP recap. The ER Christmas episode of season 6 became The Holling and the I.V. 

• Love 7

Bonnie Bartlett, who played Greene's mother, also had a longstanding part on what I think of as ER's sister show, St Elsewhere, where she played the wife of William Daniels' character. She and Daniels are also married in real life and a quick google search tells me she is still with us!

• Love 2
(edited)

A head's up: As of right now, Pop is scheduled to be going back to the beginning yet again once the weekday episodes finish up season six (8/9).

I'd say complain to them, see if they might change it, but people have and they just don't seem to care.

Edited by Sticker Shock
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Sticker Shock said:

A head's up: As of right now, Pop is scheduled to be going back to the beginning yet again once the weekday episodes finish up season six (8/9).

I'd say complain to them, see if they might change it, but people have and they just don't seem to care.

so annoying! I would really like it if they started running the other episodes while most of my current shows are not on, so it would help with the DVR overload! right now there is not much I'm recording so I have space for 3 ERs a day!

• Love 1

I record the ER's but feel I have to watch them all the same night so I can have space for three more the next night!

Why stop at season eight, I wonder.

Anyway, "The Storm" (yesterday's episodes) were two of the most devastating episodes in a series wrought with devastating episodes. Geesh, Ross! What is wrong with you!!

Also, didn't expect to enjoy Carter and Lucy kissing in the suture room, but strangely enough, found it adorable.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Sticker Shock said:

Yes, they are currently in the second rerun of Seasons 1-6; they had started back in late April, got to the end of Season 6 sometime in June, and then started over.  At least they are rerunning the best seasons, IMHO! 

8 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

so annoying! I would really like it if they started running the other episodes while most of my current shows are not on, so it would help with the DVR overload! right now there is not much I'm recording so I have space for 3 ERs a day!

• Love 1
On 7/24/2017 at 6:49 PM, CarolMK said:

I just bought seasons 7 and 8 on Amazon because I've been enjoying the series so much. I forget how much of the original I watched, had to stop as we had kids who grew up and had activities and generally got busy with life. Now that both are in college, I'm having fun watching the whole series all over again. I'll probably wind up buying the rest of the seasons unless I find another way to watch the show.

I did that too, and then I bought seasons nine and ten. I didn't remember when I stopped watching when it originally aired, but now I know that I for sure had not seen past season eight. 

• Love 1

Huh, I just noticed in "Rites of Spring" that the wife of the law student/psychiatric patient was a different actress when they first appeared -- it was "Paris Geller" as the wife after the stabbings, over ten episodes later. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, jjj said:

Huh, I just noticed in "Rites of Spring" that the wife of the law student/psychiatric patient was a different actress when they first appeared -- it was "Paris Geller" as the wife after the stabbings, over ten episodes later. 

The patient wasn't the same either. Paul Sobricki was played by David Krumholtz.  I guess the writers liked the story so much they decided to re-use it after Kelly Martin  decided to leave the show.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

The patient wasn't the same either. Paul Sobricki was played by David Krumholtz.  I guess the writers liked the story so much they decided to re-use it after Kelly Martin  decided to leave the show.

Oh, thank you!  I thought he looked different, but I did not even think of that.

Of course, I had not seen the show in HD when it originally aired, so there are things that are really jumping out now:  like today, the colors and ooze when Carter squished the cockroach he pulled out of a woman's ear.  Ewww!

• Love 1

Love how suddenly Mark, the serious one, turns into Dr. Fun - madcap hotel antics, crashing a wedding, dancing the tango, playing racquetball, going to arcades - all to try to make him seem like a match for Elizabeth.  :-)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Love how suddenly Mark, the serious one, turns into Dr. Fun - madcap hotel antics, crashing a wedding, dancing the tango, playing racquetball, going to arcades - all to try to make him seem like a match for Elizabeth.  :-)

And it ended up with fun-loving, spontaneous Lizzie becoming dull and boring like Mark; all because ELS didn't want his character in a biracial romance and AE insisted Mark be paired with a main cast member.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

And it ended up with fun-loving, spontaneous Lizzie becoming dull and boring like Mark; all because ELS didn't want his character in a biracial romance and AE insisted Mark be paired with a main cast member.

Ridiculous.

• Love 3

Rewatching "Leave it to Weaver" -- that moment when Mark walks out on a limb and Kerry saws it right off (over Romano being made CoS).

Just one of the worst moments for me while watching the show, and yet another reason to be done with it all (that would be official with Carol's last ep).

John Cullum: also a Broadway star.  My first trip to NY, I saw him as the lead in "Strider: Story of a Horse", which was based on a Tolstoy story. Long lost in the dust, but I remember that he was amazing.  A post-convo with the crew led to us giggling over defining the show as "Godiva chocolates" -- the answer to the question, "How do you explain this to people who haven't seen it?"

• Love 1

I know this is just a television show, but:   the episode where the 2-year-old is found on the street by Kerry, and it takes a day or two to identify him as a child that had been kidnapped three weeks earlier?  You'd think that would have been all over the news for the previous few weeks, with hospitals on alert for anyone matching his description:  a baby who had brain surgery and a shunt, still monitored for his medical condition, kidnapped by a nanny.   And when County hospital checked with police (they said Reggie was still there, and were getting a picture for him), the police had no reports of a missing child?  Huh?  I would expect that when Reggie heard about a found 2-year-old of that description (even without the shunt), it should have clicked right away. 

Still loving the show, though! 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I can see why Anthony Edwards might want a proper romance, after being given abortive, waste of time romances through the rest of the show. There were some nice characters brought in, like the psychiatrist and the schoolteacher who first came in as a patient. But they were wasted in throwaway roles, and disappeared when Mark was having another PTSD episode, after his latest traumatic event.

If they'd just waited a bit longer, they could have put him and Susan together when Sherry Stringfield returned. That would have worked better than the lifeless flirtation she and Carter had. And they seriously should have put Carter with Chen, rather than Abbie.

As for Eriq La Salle's demand, I don't really know whether it's good or bad. I can see both sides of the issue, and my only real opinion is, 'Cleo was the best they could do? Really?' Eh, I never liked Benton enough to care much about his love life anyway.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

As for Eriq La Salle's demand, I don't really know whether it's good or bad. I can see both sides of the issue, and my only real opinion is, 'Cleo was the best they could do? Really?' Eh, I never liked Benton enough to care much about his love life anyway.

From what I recall, ELS got a lot of flack from the black community because Benton's previous relationships with black women were so dysfunctional, while he was pretty happy with Liz.  He felt that his character's only successful relationship being with a white woman was not a good message for the show.  However, I agree that the actress who played Cleo was so cold and lifeless; Benton would've been more interesting with a partner with a bit of sass.

• Love 3

I liked Benton and Corday together, but that relationship didn't exist in a vacuum, and I thus don't take issue with LaSalle's objections to it.  There weren't exactly a plethora of black couples on top-rated prime time shows back then.  I remembered the gist of what he said, but went back to look at old articles for specifics.  He said he liked working with Alex Kingston and liked the relationship, but in context he just was not comfortable the message it was sending to the show's large black audience:

"As an African American man, it becomes a bit offensive if the negative things [in relationships between black characters] are all you’re showing.  Because in real life, we romance and get on each other’s nerves and laugh and do all the things that any other race of people do.  So if the only time you show a balanced relationship is in an interracial relationship, whether it’s conscious or sub-conscious, it sends a message I’m not comfortable with.

“They were sending a message that I didn’t want to be a part of, which was the only time that this man becomes human and tender and vulnerable and open is when he falls in love with a white woman.”

“[Of] the two relationships that I had prior to Corday, one was an adulterous relationship with Jeanie Boulet and then the next relationship I got into was with Carla.  And unfortunately the writing there was, every time you see them they’re either fighting or fucking.”

(In other comments, he said the same thing: "We have to take care of the message that we're sending as African Americans . . . that we have the exact same type of exchanges with our mates that we get to see our white counterparts have.")

• Love 9

I agree, ELS had very valid reasons For wanting Benton in a successful relationship with a black woman and I applaud him for discussing his feelings so well. I just wish they'd hired a better actress to play his love interest.  Cleo/Peter wasn't as entertaining a relationship to me when compared to Peter/Elizabeth.

• Love 3
(edited)

A renewal of Guest Star Bingo: The Character Actors --

"A Shift in the Night" (in my Top 10), the one where Mark is overwhelmed on an overnight shift, but clevers his way out of it: Peggy Roeder (plays the mom of the boy who has to wait so long for his hand to be sutured, it can't be -- this is what inspires Mark to treat in the waiting room) was Bill Murray's piano teacher in Groundhog Day.

This one took me ages, since I kept forgetting her name, and there's no photo on IMDb.  Yay me!

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 3

I'd almost forgotten how much I disliked the Li'l Susie arc until I watched the Susan obsessing over the loss of L'il Susie with her therapist episode.  Decades later, still makes me stabby.  (Who said we need to grown up?!)

• Love 1

What was the little stuffed animal she left in the church at the end of that episode?  It looks like the favorite toy that left with the baby in the previous episode. 

7 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I'd almost forgotten how much I disliked the Li'l Susie arc until I watched the Susan obsessing over the loss of L'il Susie with her therapist episode.  Decades later, still makes me stabby.  (Who said we need to grown up?!)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, jjj said:

What was the little stuffed animal she left in the church at the end of that episode?  It looks like the favorite toy that left with the baby in the previous episode. 

When Susan was talking to the priest, she told him that little Susie had loved the neighbor's dog, 'Joe Bo' and that, anticipating her first birthday, Susan bought her a stuffed dog with floppy ears that looked like it.  That was the toy she left in the church.

Little Susie's favorite toy was a stuffed bunny named 'Mr B' and it went to Phoenix with her.

And, yes, I know way too many obscure details about this show.

• Love 2
(edited)

Thanks so much, I really appreciate having these details!  I missed that she told the priest about the stuffed toy dog.  I actually thought they handled the logistical problems of the "little Susie" storyline well, really showing how hard it is to take care of a child as a single parent.  And that was with at-work daycare for infants, which is so unusual now, and even more so in the late 1990s.  Things like having to bring the baby to Carol's wedding and hand it off for the ceremony were very real.  Too many babies on television are only visible for plot points, then disappear.  We were always aware that Susie was nearby and needing Susan.  And the grandmother was totally within her rights to refuse to share the burden about the baby even for a month or two, but that was a shitty decision when an infant is involved -- her first grandchild, at that.   Sorry, walnutqueen!   

1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

When Susan was talking to the priest, she told him that little Susie had loved the neighbor's dog, 'Joe Bo' and that, anticipating her first birthday, Susan bought her a stuffed dog with floppy ears that looked like it.  That was the toy she left in the church.

Little Susie's favorite toy was a stuffed bunny named 'Mr B' and it went to Phoenix with her.

And, yes, I know way too many obscure details about this show.

11 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/30/2017 at 7:49 AM, walnutqueen said:

Oh, the Lil Susie storyline makes me MAJORLY stabby.  I will literally mute the TV when "Suse" talks to or about her and when Chloe is on.  Can't stand anything about that whole mess.  And it makes me dislike Susan because of it.  But I guess Chloe stayed on the straight and narrow because Susan left Chicago to go be with the family in Arizona.  I liked Chloe's husband.

Has anybody else noticed the box of Flutie Flakes on top of the fridge in the doctors' lounge?

Edited by slasherboy
  • Love 1

Just chiming in on the love for John Cullum, who played Mark's dad. He did such a good job with that role, with both the emotionally distant stuff in the beginning to the slow warm up to Mark as time went on. Their scenes together made me tear up a few times, like when Mark is washing him and he says that was his job when Mark was a baby. Also when he dies and Mark fixes his hair a little and straightens his pajama collar. Such tender gestures. 

Cullum plays a similarly emotionally closed off dad on The Middle, but he doesn't appear as much as I'd like. 

• Love 1

^ Yes, I've always liked Cullum.

On the other hand, Mark's sexy times with Elizabeth make me cringe, even now.  Not that her love scenes with Benton were any better.  She did her best, poor dear, but her partners sucked.  I always enjoyed her repartee with Romano - he was so fucking awful and so fucking funny (well, until the chopper, that is).

On 7/31/2017 at 9:11 PM, walnutqueen said:

^ Yes, I've always liked Cullum.

On the other hand, Mark's sexy times with Elizabeth make me cringe, even now.  Not that her love scenes with Benton were any better.  She did her best, poor dear, but her partners sucked.  I always enjoyed her repartee with Romano - he was so fucking awful and so fucking funny (well, until the chopper, that is).

Which one? 

Spoiler

The one that took his arm or the one that killed him?

• Love 1