Type keyword(s) to search

Happily Ever After: Relationships Are Hard

• Start Topic

I feel like people are giving Eddy too much credit. The guy runs his mouth. For a writer, he's incredibly un-eloquent. I'm guessing he meant "Here we have this flirty guy, who's a pirate (inspired by Han Solo!) played by an handsome actor. But guess what!!! In an incredible plot development never done before, when this ladies' man falls in love, he's totally 100% committed. Aren't you impressed by our out-of-the-box thinking? Look, we even once nicknamed his love interest 'Princess Leia'. Genius."

• Love 7

A comment I made in another thread made me think of something...

Have we had any scene in the series where Robin has stolen something from Regina? She calls him a thief numerous times, and she's one of the richest people in Storybrooke, and yet I can't recall him ever taking something from her because she didn't need it. I'm not a huge fan of the pairing, but some fun scenes where Robin starts handing out Regina's endless silk blouse collection to the less fortunate in Storybrooke would help me better accept that pairing.

Edited by Curio
Have we had any scene on the series where Robin has stolen something from Regina?

I think the only person we've seen Robin rob is Rumple. Original Recipe Robin stole a wand from Rumple and New Coke Robin set up house in Rumple's house after the curse was broken.

He was sympathetic of Regina robbing Evil Snow, though.

It is a little incongruous that Robin is hanging around in one of the biggest mansions in town eating canapes  while his son and colleagues are trying to make due in tents out in the wood while he forbids them from stealing hunting equipment (what do they eat? Pine cones?).  He probably would not steal from Regina because of honour code and all (even though she could just magically create anything she could want). I cannot even comprehend of him stealing from her, so I can't imagine how she would react.  Him robbing her would be an implicit condemnation of her lifestyle and if he thinks that killing  entire villages is "bold and audacious"  and has no problems with her having murdered his wife, I can't see him condeming anything about her life.

• Love 2

I'd love to see Regina try to lower her standards and hang out in a tent or have Robin teach her how to use a bow and arrow. Something fun for these two. Or someone teaching Regina how to actually fight because without her magic Regina has no hands. She really can't fight to save her life.

• Love 3

I think the only person we've seen Robin rob is Rumple.

He stole from Zelena, and presumably whoever was ruling Sherwood Forest at the time. 

I'd love to see Regina try to lower her standards and hang out in a tent or have Robin teach her how to use a bow and arrow. Something fun for these two. Or someone teaching Regina how to actually fight because without her magic Regina has no hands. She really can't fight to save her life.

One of Outlaw Queen's problems is that Regina is very high maintenance and Robin is incapable of supplying her materialistic needs. In the Enchanted Forest, she made fun of him for being poor and found his lower-class living repulsive. If A&E love the idea of opposites attract, then maybe they should take advantage of it and show one in the other's world attempting to fit in.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4
He stole from Zelena,

Rumple paid him to do that (he was going to give him some gold to save his bar), so it's not traditional Robin Hood stealing. Actually, we've never seen Robin steal from the rich to give to the poor. He stole from Zelena to get money from Rumple for his own benefit, he stole from Rumple to save his wife and he lived in Rumple's house because he wanted shelter. He claims to have also stolen Marian's dad's horses because he wanted them before he got a code and started stealing....things that benefited him. 

I don't think this Robin Hood would steal from Regina (unless he hooks up with somebody else in town and he wanted some of her stuff to decorate his new pad).  Robin Hood is not the Robin Hood of legend - he is the Robin Hood with a twist. Just like how Little Red Riding Hood did not get eaten by the wolf, on this show, she is the wolf. Robin Hood in the Storybook universe does not steal from the rich to give to the poor, he just steals from whoever and then bores you to death talking about his code. 

There will be no controversy in the Mills/Hood household about how much they should give to the poor.  They can live happily ever after in her mansion. Should she ever turn evil again, she can rip out the hearts of the Merry Men for camping/getting married in her forrest and Robin will applaud her for being "bold and audacious".  They are truly soulmates.

Edited by kili
  • Love 3

From the Fandom thread:

Speaking just for me I happen to enjoy the whole story of Regina and Snow White, Snow White and Regina have a long and complicated history and I like the irony of Snow White birthing in my mind Regina's "True Love". I find the irony entertaining. Plus I like the idea that Emma is supposed to save everyone so that should include Regina and what better way to save the person who your mother was at least partially responsible for putting on the path of darkness then by falling in love with her, I just like the irony. I just like the story. I am someone who just likes the circular story and Hook and Robin could literally be anyone and have been anyone. I mean Hook is the fourth guy dropped in Emma's lap to love what makes him any different then the others? He is basically the male version a Mary Sue. You take him away and you can replace him with literaly anyone else and there is no backstory to get in the way. With Regina there is a lifetime of backstory. That is what i find intriguing. Plus I kinda dig angst.

I think it's interesting and funny that some of the things you like about SQ, and don't see in CS, are the same things that I actually like about CS. I find it ironic that Hook is now in love with the Dark One after spending three hundred years hating the Dark One. Not to mention the irony of Emma having had a child with Neal, the only other person besides Emma, who Hook was willing to give up vengeance for. Also, Hook wouldn't even be alive to fall in love with Emma if it hadn't been for Rumble killing Milah, the mother of Emma's first love and heartbreak. Hook and Emma never would have met if Hook hadn't been working with Cora, the mother of the woman who caused Emma to grow up alone. Turns out that there was more in Storybooke for Hook than just Rumple and revenge. I do think there are some similarities between Hook and Regina's stories, and Emma has been able to forgive both Regina and Hook. But I think Hook and Emma's back stories are even more intertwined than Emma and Regina's are. Although to be honest, every character on the show seems to be connected, some just more than others. And as far as what makes Hook different than Neal, Graham and Walsh? Well, I could write a thesis on that, so I will spare you. :) Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 7

From the Fandom thread:

I think it's interesting and funny that some of the things you like about SQ, and don't see in CS, are the same things that I actually like about CS. I find it ironic that Hook is now in love with the Dark One after spending three hundred years hating the Dark One. 

Like i said before I actually have no real problem with Emma and Hook.  I at least see some chemistry between them and especially now that Emma has become the Dark One but that chemistry and storyline kinda goes away once she stops being the Dark One which gives it about a season.   I do see the story potential between Dark Emma and Hook and am actually looking forward to it.  However the chemistry between Emma and Regina has been going on for five seasons now.  They radiate chemistry plus I am kinda looking forward to the story potential for that as well.

Edited by Chaos Theory

I think Emma and Regina have chemistry too, just not in a romantic sense. Although that could just be because of my own personal preferences. They're both very headstrong, and I preferred their relationship better when they were both butting heads. Looks like we might get to see more of that now that Emma is the DO.

• Love 1

Considering all the hateful, hurtful things Regina has said and done, plus all her bitching and moaning about Emma not having her back (which is provably untrue), not to mention she's bitching and moaning to the people she hurt, directly or indirectly, I just can't make common ground with the SQers. Even if Emma was presented to us as bisexual, even if Hook wasn't in the picture, Regina is just too damn toxic. Given her utter lack of self-awareness, I don't really see that changing much, no matter how hard A & E try to "catapult the propaganda" that she's all good now. Also, given that Hook is in the picture, I can't imagine any woman in her right mind throwing him over for someone who treats her with such thinly veiled contempt.

Hook treats Emma with respect and admiration. Hook has never tried to kill her or her mother. Hook would rather live in her world than live without her in his own. It's no contest.

• Love 9

IMO the only "chemistry" between Emma and Regina has been when they've been antagonistic. They work as foils but fall flat as friends.

This is where I'm at with them too. I enjoy their S1 dynamic because Emma was able to give as good as she got from Regina. If that was still the case I could buy SQ so much more. Imagining for argument's sake that I did think Regina and Emma had great romantic and sexual chemistry- even then I wouldn't want SQ because chemistry (as well as being highly subjective and in the eye of the beholder IMO) isn't enough. I think this show can't, or simply won't, handle Regina's character arc in an honest and rational way and her 'friendship' with Emma has consisted of repeated verbal and emotional abuse which the show has treated as 'harmless sass'. I think the friendship alone has been to Emma's detriment as a character. If Outlaw Queen is any indication, the fire and conflict between Regina and Emma that attracted so many shippers would be extinguished entirely if they became a romantic couple. Emma would end up like Robin- no personality and no will of her own (though to be honest, I've encountered SQers who'd probably prefer Emma that way). Chemistry or not, this wouldn't be a satisfying story. Maybe in the hands of other writers, but not with TS;TW.

• Love 4

I loved SQ in S1 because they worked so well as antagonistic frenemies but this so called friendship is a vacuum of suck mostly because it brings down Emma's character (Like everyone else who seems to prop Regina to be honest.) and never gives us a really good reason why Emma would endure this friendship when all Regina does is put her down. Honestly until Tinkerbell came around I didn't think Regina really liked having friends at all especially women. I really liked that friendship. The only flaw was Tinkerbell's pixie dust mess brought us Pod Robin Hood.

Once again I question what happened to the same writers who wrote a wonderful friendship between Emma and Mary Margarete in S1 went? S2 with Team Princesses was gold to me also. They did well with Elsa and Emma also. I actually believed Emma would miss her during their good bye scene.

• Love 3

I found myself thinking during the premiere: "Someone should call Elsa. She could help and would want to know." Emma and Elsa's development in half a season was infinitely better than Emma and Regina's in 4 seasons.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 6

Looking at it that way, this Dark Swan thing sux even more. Emma's only recently come to terms with having magic, it went all haywire on her last season, and now she's evil. Great. Thanks, writers.

• Love 4

I don't see any great friendship between Hook and Belle. Working together and having a few civil conversations is not a friendship, unless we're talking about Facebook-type pseudo-friends.

I can't say I see a close friendship, either.

I do, though, think the show did a reasonably decent job of moving them from enemies to a truce, and from a truce to a cordial information-sharing and working relationship.

I don't see them sharing close conversations about most of their deepest wishes, but it does make sense that they'd be having conversations about the Dark One curse.

• Love 1

That is exactly what I said, it's not a friendship based around any real feelings of personal closeness, it's based around empathy for what the other has gone through since they are literally the only two who CAN understand one another when it comes to these issues. The alternative to the friendship is to just keep their Dark One-related feelings to themselves, which is unhealthy behavior. Not to say Hook and Belle haven't come to not care about one another's well-being, they clearly have, but their friendship is still one of convenience rather than feelings toward one another.

• Love 1

That is exactly what I said, it's not a friendship based around any real feelings of personal closeness, it's based around empathy for what the other has gone through since they are literally the only two who CAN understand one another when it comes to these issues.

This should be Emma and Regina's relationship, tbh. It should be structured more as two people in common circumstances, as opposed to besties who adore each other. When they work together to stop the villain du jour, they make quite the unstoppable duo.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 8

I really wish I could get on board with Robin and Regina as a couple, but I just can't. Every great story/relationship opportunity the show gives them on a silver platter is squandered. In Season 4, I was genuinely excited about how Robin would react to the fact that Regina tortured his wife in the past. How would they reconcile that? How would he treat Regina after knowing that? But the show completely ignored that story and we still don't even know if Robin knows the full truth there.

Now in the latest episode 5x02, there were opportunities for some cute relationship interactions between Robin and Regina based on what we already know about their characters, but the show seemed to ignore the fact that Robin has never been to a ball before and instead ret-conned Regina's past and gave that story to her for some reason. It just made no sense. A much more fitting scene that actually pays attention to the characters' pasts and attempts to give Robin some kind of personality could have gone like this:

• Regina is pacing back and forth because all the attention at the ball will be on her and she's realizing that maybe it wasn't a good idea to lie about being the Savior. So Robin tries to diffuse the situation by making a joke like, "You think you're nervous, I have two left feet! I've never stepped foot on a dance floor before. I'm just hoping I don't break your toes by the end of the night." Then after Regina makes some "sassy" comment about there not being balls in Sherwood Forest, they could have awkwardly danced and Regina could have been the teacher before the official wardrobe changing scenes.

Also, there was a small moment on the dance floor where Robin and Regina kiss and then look over at Hook and Emma dancing and they copy their dance move. When you replay this scene and look at OQ's facial expressions, you can tell this is more Sean and Lana being goofy instead of the characters, and it took me out of the scene. Breaking character and seeing a glimpse of the actors only works if there's a part of the actor's true personality ingrained in the character they're playing. For example, Colin has shown numerous times that there's a dorky personality behind the big bravado character, so it isn't too terribly out of character when Hook takes Emma's hand in 5x01 and swings it around like a kid. But we've never been shown Robin or Regina being very playful and jokey as a part of their core personalities, so it comes off more like I'm watching Sean and Lana acting instead of Robin and Regina dancing. 

• Love 5

This should be Emma and Regina's relationship, tbh. It should be structured more as two people in common circumstances, as opposed to besties who adore each other. When they work together to stop the villain du jour, they make quite the unstoppable duo.

That's actually how it WAS back in Season 3.  Then Season 4 randomly changed it in order to pander to the SQ viewers.

• Love 6

Did they basically confirmed Emma and Hook are true loves or not? lol

Also that dance scene with OQ was hella cute. The show need to do more of that for them. Also give NotRobin a personality dammit.

Edited by mjgchick

^ the OQ dance scene was cute. The only problem was that it was more Lana & Sean than Regina & Robin.

And despite being somewhat shady of a person, I was about to start shipping Regina with Percival until I heard his backstory an how she ruined everything. :(

Edited by HoodlumSheep

Probably. Lana made a face that seemed like she messed up the dance and Sean had the biggest smile I've ever seen from Robin on the show but I guess it worked for me because in other times he just looks constipated.

• Love 1
And despite being somewhat shady of a person, I was about to start shipping Regina with Percival until I heard his backstory an how she ruined everything. :(

On this show, that means they have the foundation for a close friendship. All of her close friends are people whose loved ones she's killed and whose lives she destroyed. She executed her current boyfriend's wife (Zelena may have done the final deed in this timeline, but there was a timeline in which Regina did it, and in both timelines, Regina imprisoned and tormented her). Up until the stabbing (does this mean David has a dark spot on his heart now?), I was halfway expecting this to be the start of a triangle, with Percival suddenly realizing how much she's changed and how much he likes how bold and audacious she is.

RE: Belle and Hook

I do, though, think the show did a reasonably decent job of moving them from enemies to a truce, and from a truce to a cordial information-sharing and working relationship.

I think showing that process and then giving them common things to work on and common traumas has made it work. I think they are coming to kind of care about each other -- not in a deep besties way, but if she didn't care, she wouldn't have bothered sitting and drinking with him and she wouldn't have been checking on him. The other thing that works, as opposed to the Regina and Emma "poof, you're instant BFFs" way, is that they are cordial now. There's a little snark when it's warranted, like "now you question my identity?" but neither is throwing personal insults at the other while they're supposedly friends.

• Love 7

I'm curious about something.  What if all that's needed to determine True Love are the two parties believing?  What if two people don't deal with the obstacles and drama that Snow and David did but meet, fall for each other, know about True Love and just agree that they are?  Would they be unable to do the Kiss without all the external drama?  I'm only asking because Regina is convinced that Daniel was her first True Love but we never saw any evidence in show (like a Kiss or something).  We have no evidence that Regina and Robin are True Loves either as they explicitly stated that the pixie dust determined soulmates and that it was somehow different from True Love.  But, if Robin gets hit with a Sleeping Curse, does this mean that Regina can wake him up based solely on their mutual belief that they are True Love?  Or, do True Loves have to jump through all the hoops and prevail against the obstacles before they qualify?  If it's the latter, that would really suck for the couples who love each other very much but were able to get together without the drama.

She's bffs with the main characters and she's ruined their lives.

• Love 4

We have no evidence that Regina and Robin are True Loves either as they explicitly stated that the pixie dust determined soulmates and that it was somehow different from True Love.

Well, according to the writers, there isn't much of a difference between "soul mates" and "True Loves," so Robin and Regina actually have been verified on screen as being True Loves.

As for the other stuff...I'm pretty sure they make up the True Love rules as they go along. (Much like all the other stuff on this show.)

• Love 2

I just...I do not get Regina and Robin. They seem so contrived to me, I am sorry. I just feel like we never see them actually doing couple things, or having things in common, or just hanging out. Robin gets in trouble and Regina saves him. Or they have sex in crypts while his wife is on a magic coma, whatever. I just do not feel like they are a real couple. They're just a series of things that happen.  

• Love 6

I can't believe Robin and Marian were ever True Loves. Robin's reaction to her "return" turned me off the character completely. Marian deserved better.

The worst part is that tried to rectify the problem by making her Zelena only to dump an even worse problem with saddling them with a Zelena baby.

I can't believe Robin and Marian were ever True Loves. Robin's reaction to her "return" turned me off the character completely. Marian deserved better.

The writers can say whatever they want about Robin/Marian and how they were twu wuv and whatever...when you have a scene in 5x01 about Robin knowing right away that Regina was a glamoured Zelena because of the way she kissed him, and then have her say how he spent time with her and had no clue that she wasn't Marian...

Marian is dead and is till being trashed, in order to elevate the 3 week old romance. How ridiculous was that whole scene? 

I get it writers. Robin's love for Marian doesn't even come close to the way he feels about Regina. That's why he fucked a woman who wasn't his wife and had zero clue about it. 

Robin is such a catch! Women should run the other way when they seem him turn the corner.

It's like reading horrible fanfic, where the ex gets trashed to make the new love interest look better. I think it's funny considering how little we actually know about Marian except for what we've seen of her in 3x22. I think the worst part is that Robin never stands up for Marian. He could've told Zelena to shut her trap and never talk about Marian. He didn't. He gave her a constipated look and that was the end of that.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 6

The writers can say whatever they want about Robin/Marian and how they were twu wuv and whatever...when you have a scene in 5x01 about Robin knowing right away that Regina was a glamoured Zelena because of the way she kissed him, and then have her say how he spent time with her and had no clue that she wasn't Marian...

Marian is dead and is till being trashed, in order to elevate the 3 week old romance. How ridiculous was that whole scene?

I get it writers. Robin's love for Marian doesn't even come close to the way he feels about Regina. That's why he fucked a woman who wasn't his wife and had zero clue about it.

Robin is such a catch! Women should run the other way when they seem him turn the corner.

It's like reading horrible fanfic, where the ex gets trashed to make the new love interest look better. I think it's funny considering how little we actually know about Marian except for what we've seen of her in 3x22. I think the worst part is that Robin never stands up for Marian. He could've told Zelena to shut her trap and never talk about Marian. He didn't. He gave her a constipated look and that was the end of that.

And they tried to 'fix' the problem with Zelena only to dump a baby on them and make OQ even worse than it already was after the Marian mess.

Even trashing the ex and using Zelena as a prop, I still don't see the way Robin feels about Regina, he's spent way more time away from her than with and everything we've seen points in the opposite of what they're trying to sell us.

Edited by Free

Right from her "return", the writing has framed Marian as bland and boring compared with Regina. And Marian is still being trashed after her multiple deaths. The writing for OQ is OTT trying too hard.

• Love 2

It's like reading horrible fanfic, where the ex gets trashed to make the new love interest look better.

Well, this show is basically Regina fanfiction at this point, so it's to be expected.

• Love 6

Right from her "return", the writing has framed Marian as bland and boring compared with Regina. And Marian is still being trashed after her multiple deaths. The writing for OQ is OTT trying too hard.

Even with the blatant propping and the fake Marian/Zelena reveal, OQ is still the worse choice, not to mention the fact that Robin has 2 love children from other women as baggage for OQ.

She tried to take on the Snow Monster but then the writers had her beg the woman who tortured and killed her in the other timeline.

• Love 2

And apparently it was Zelena doing the begging. Yeah, right...

It would've made more sense had she used magic behind their backs, but they clearly made that up trying to fix the Marian mess by making an even bigger mess in the end.

• Love 1

not to mention the fact that Robin has 2 love children from other women as baggage for OQ.

I just realized that once Zelena has her child, Regina will basically be the adoptive mother of three different kids, all with different mothers. One of those mothers is dead, but she'll forever have to work out visiting schedules with two other women for the rest of her life. I'd like to see how school conferences go...

• Love 2

It's strange how Milah and Belle seem to want the same kind of things. Traveling to different places, living with heroic honor. Milah was trapped in the hovel while Belle was imprisoned in the Dark Castle. Both of them called him a coward. How is it that Rumple drove Milah nuts, but Belle is undaunted? Belle has seen much worse parts of Rumple that Milah didn't. She dated another man and didn't get killed for it. What exactly is the big difference in these two women that makes Rumple treat or get treated by them differently?

Edited by KingOfHearts

I think you have to consider not just the differences between the two women, but the difference in Rumpel. Although they were both technically married to the same man, I think you actually have to consider Rumpel as two different people. Milah was married to poor peasant, spinner Rumpel. These two people most likely lived in the same village, met and married as peasants do. They aren't looking for or expecting grand adventure. They just look to have a decent life and build a family in the same village they grew up in. Milah & Rumpel seemed fairly happy together before he left for war. I'm sure it was no grand love affair, but it was a satisfying life for a couple of peasants with low expectations in life. Then Rumpel injured himself to leave the army, he was branded a coward and most likely they were shunned by the community. That would be extremely difficult for peasants for whom community is everything. Would people be willing to buy their goods from these people? Would they help out when the roof needs repair? Would they lift a finger to help this guy who fled in fear while their loved ones stayed and fought (and most likely died)? Would they welcome Milah into their homes for village gossip? Not likely. Since Rumpel was now an outcast and permanently injured some very difficult work would now all fall on Milah to do by herself. That would be extremely wearing on a person. Milah grew more and more bitter and more and more depressed. Rumpel wasn't willing to compromise. The foundation of their relationship was never particularly strong to begin with and years of this would completely destroy any affection that may have existed. Ultimately, she was offered an opportunity to escape and took it.

Next we have Belle. She was raised in wealth in a castle and went to live with Dark One Rumpel in his castle. He was very powerful, had hundreds of years of experience away from the spinner he'd been when married to Milah, and appealed to Belle's sense of heroism. She was saving her people by going with him. She fell for the Dark One. She knew what she was getting with him. She is not in love with the same guy Milah was married to. Belle is also not shunned by the community. She is not struggling to survive in a hovel. She has the opportunity to be independent. Belle's experience with Rumpel both from a feelings standpoint and from a lifestyle standpoint are completely different from Milah. I'd also highlight that Rumpel has a depth of love for Belle that he never had for Milah. Different women, different man, different circumstances.

You can judge each woman for their actions, but I don't think it's fair to compare Belle & Milah in a simple manner with regards to their relationship with Rumpel. Their individual situations and life experiences are so completely different that you're basically looking at apples & oranges.

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 10

I just realized that once Zelena has her child, Regina will basically be the adoptive mother of three different kids, all with different mothers. One of those mothers is dead, but she'll forever have to work out visiting schedules with two other women for the rest of her life. I'd like to see how school conferences go...

No she won't. Henry is her only child. Regina's relationship with Roland is that she is his father's girlfriend, Dating someone doesn't create a step-parent relationship and it certainly does not create an adoptive parent relationship. Only a court can do that. Regina will be the aunt of Zelena's child. Regardless of what Regina said last season to Zelena, I wouldn't assume that Zelena will not be keeping her child.

My point is that the whole idea that just dating someone with a child makes one a parent to that child is ridiculous.

I agree with a real life situation. But this show talks about forever love, true love and soulmates and since OQ have been pixie ordained, then I'm assuming Robin and Regina are forever and will someday get married. Even if they didn't, this still makes Robin a fixture in Henry's life and Regina a fixture in this new baby's life. 

That's the way I see it at least.