Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: The News

(edited)

I am still on-board for this show - but that being said - the Perry+Ray thing is starting to feel as if it could drag on an on.. Maybe they could take a break from it for an episode or two while the Beth Stalker Bromance is on the road.

One thing is for certain - there is no guessing as to where they are headed.

The case-of-the-week was okay. I liked the twist that the stalker's victim was not the stalker's actual object of obsession.

Beth, please close your flimsy curtains when you are at home.  But I guess it's okay since there is a police guard outside. ..But wasn't that the same policeman who did such a bad job of protecting the news anchor guy - who got shot at his front door while this policeman was on watch? 

And one last thing - are we supposed to think that the Stalker Unit is incompetent? Because in almost every case Beth & Company never mange to figure out who the stalker is until the point where the stalker has taken someone hostage or killed someone. At that point, it would have been dealt with by the police anyway -- so all that stalker investigation work could have been done in hindsight. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1

Man, that was Kerr Smith as the anchor?  It's been ages since I've seen him in anything, and that threw me for a loop.  Yep, he's gotten a bit older.  He didn't look bad or anything, but I guess I always think of him as Jack from Dawson's Creek, so that just took a bit to get use to.  Also, the actress playing his co-anchor was in Sunday's episode of Scorpion, so she must be trying to go through all the CBS shows this year.

Still not sure if I'm going to like this Perry/Ray stuff (Eric Stocklin is good, but Perry is close to overstaying his welcome), but I did like everyone coming to Beth's place at the end.  Probably the most I tolerated Jack.  And, I'm glad they finally told Ben: I was feeling bad for the poor guy being kept in the dark.

• Love 1

I knew it was the new "girlfriend" as soon as I saw her.  So, eh. 

I've seen Kerr Smith in quite a few things since his Dawson's Creek days.  I think he prematurely greyed, but it looks good on him. 

I hate Perry.  Not in a love-to-hate-him way, just straight up hate him.  Can't wait for that storyline to wrap up.  I'm glad that the entire team is in the know, though.

ETA:  I am also really, really sick of the cover songs.  At least they expanded from the 80's to the 70's (60's?) this time.  But, it's getting very, very old.  If you want to do a montage a la Cold Case, you can pick original songs.

• Love 1

Damn, Kerr Smith got old.

That first scene where DM comes into Beth's office and just stares at her for a minute was uncomfortable. They really needed to cast him as a creepy stalker instead of one of the detectives.

• Love 1

Took me a minute to realize it was him, the gray hair threw me off. Last thing I saw him in was "Final Destination."

I am gonna gripe again not only does Beth leave her curtains open so did Kerr. What the hell is wrong with these people do they need instructions on how curtains work? Sheesh, every victim in each episode does the same stupid crap! Oh also knew it was the new girlfriend right away, maybe I need to join their unit and help them figure this stuff out.

• Love 6

I do enjoy this show. But I want everyone to close their blinds and not answer their door when a stalker is after them. Neither victim asked who it was or looked out a peep hole before opening the door. It drove me nuts.

The minute the new girlfriend said they had only been dating a few weeks I knew it was her. I didn't realize why right away. But she gave off the guilty vibe.

• Love 3

I agree with just about everything written.  I knew it was Ms. "4-5 weeks" as soon as we saw her.  

My viewing buddy always comments about Beth leaving her curtains open (and windows unlocked).  It seems a pre-requisite on this show.  However, despite all of the issues and predictability, I find this show hilarious and enjoy watching it.  And yes, DM is giving me creeper vibes in every scene, especially with Beth/Michelle.

• Love 3

Beth, please close your flimsy curtains when you are at home

So I have a theory about that.  Maybe her curtains are sheer so that way she can see if someone's hiding behind them?  It would go along with why the woman in the pilot had a clear shower curtain, so no one could hide behind that without her knowing.

• Love 1

He was always old- Kerr was 27 in 1999 playing Jack as a 16-year old, so while Jack should be about 31 now, Kerr is about 42. And he's decided to go with the grey hair thing. My guess is that he did it so he wouldn't be treated like he can't do older roles because he's Jack McPhee.

I'm pretty sure Ray is either going to kill Perry, or at least try. I liked watching Maggie O. sell Beth's fear of Ray, and everybody rallying around her. This cast is developing good chemistry with each other, I think. Mariana Klaveno really works as the glue for the cast.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

So you are being stalked. Someone knocks in your door and you just open it wide and then stand in the open door???

If someone was stalking me, I'd be spending the might in a hotel on a very,very high floor.

LOL, exactly!  I had "Hello, Marriott?  Reservations, please" running through my brain like a ticker tape the whole show.

Newsguy punching in his alarm code so he could throw open the front door (and stop a bullet) was pretty funny, but then Beth-Michelle did the very same thing!  She didn't even peek through the glass side panel first!!  Oy.

That being said, I was ridiculously happy to see the gang show up with pizza,  (One pizza and a six-pack for four adults. . .I need to work on my portion control.)  I would have been even happier to see a few pieces of luggage for the long haul.

Perry should have kept Michelle's new identity as a hole card.  I'm surprised Ray didn't shove his lifeless body out of the car at the first stoplight.

• Love 2

Echoing what everyone is saying about window coverings!  It just seems nuts. You can have shutters or blinds that nobody can hide behind, you know -- doesn't have to be full-length, voluminous drapes.  It just don't make no sense none, no how, no way. 

• Love 1

Echoing what everyone is saying about window coverings!  It just seems nuts. You can have shutters or blinds that nobody can hide behind, you know -- doesn't have to be full-length, voluminous drapes.  It just don't make no sense none, no how, no way.

Exactly! Beth should have California shutters, or blinds. And check before opening the door!

Or, as I have said from day 1 of this show, move to a high rise condo with security!

• Love 1

He was always old- Kerr was 27 in 1999 playing Jack as a 16-year old, so while Jack should be about 31 now, Kerr is about 42.

I didn't realize he was the same age as me!  I still think he prematurely greyed- as did my husband who started greying in his early 30's- since he's had salt-and-pepper hair for several roles I've seen him in over the past few years.

I think they could have had a more intense story line if Beth knew that Ray was in the process of being released, and investigate to see if Perry was in the city that Ray is jailed.  It seems he got released too fast, but I suppose money talks.  I know others have said this but I want to scream at Beth, "close your curtains".  This happens in other shows and movies also.

I knew it was the girlfriend right away too, and I'm not usually good at that kind of stuff.

I predict Ray will kill Perry (or vice versa) and BethMichelle will kill Ray.

still watching.

I actually like the endng cover songs. This one was extra creepy.

• Love 1

ETA:  I am also really, really sick of the cover songs.  At least they expanded from the 80's to the 70's (60's?) this time.  But, it's getting very, very old.  If you want to do a montage a la Cold Case, you can pick original songs.

Turtles. 1967. (Get off my lawn!)

But seriously, are music rights that expensive/complicated? Do shows avoid "real music" so as to keep the costs down regarding syndication/DVD sales??

• Love 2

I am still on-board for this show - but that being said - the Perry+Ray thing is starting to feel as if it could drag on an on.. Maybe they could take a break from it for an episode or two while the Beth Stalker Bromance is on the road.

One thing is for certain - there is no guessing as to where they are headed.

The case-of-the-week was okay. I liked the twist that the stalker's victim was not the stalker's actual object of obsession.

Beth, please close your flimsy curtains when you are at home.  But I guess it's okay since there is a police guard outside. ..But wasn't that the same policeman who did such a bad job of protecting the news anchor guy - who got shot at his front door while this policeman was on watch? 

And one last thing - are we supposed to think that the Stalker Unit is incompetent? Because in almost every case Beth & Company never mange to figure out who the stalker is until the point where the stalker has taken someone hostage or killed someone. At that point, it would have been dealt with by the police anyway -- so all that stalker investigation work could have been done in hindsight. 

I think we need to use that "are they incompetent" question even moreso for Beth's own stalking.  I mean it takes approximately the IQ of a Carrot to draw the conclusion that Perry, who they KNOW knows about Beth's past, if he's not in L.A., is probably visiting Stalker Original.  But it's like the concept never even OCCURS to any of the people in on Beth's secret.  I just can't wrap my head around this one, and it's dumb to the point that it takes me out of the show totally, because as a contrivance it's massive. 

Actually, this is the VERY first one of all of them, in all of the episodes, I've kind of liked.

Yes, it's creepy (they all freaking are), but most of the other songs they've done are kind of inherently creeper songs, whereas this one is a song that's normally a sunny happy frothy song.  Someone halfway clever actually listened to the damn thing and figured out that this song, that probably nobody ever SAID sounded obsessive and creepy before now could be totally flipped on it's ear to mean that with a different performance style.  So this one gets originality points.

• Love 3

Newsguy punching in his alarm code so he could throw open the front door (and stop a bullet) was pretty funny, but then Beth-Michelle did the very same thing!  She didn't even peek through the glass side panel first!!  Oy.

Newsguy doesn't even bother keeping the door closed when he knows the stalker is on the other side with a gun. When Stalkerlady pulled a gun on him then ran into the hallway to chase Newsgal, Newsguy got up, ran toward the door, and then opened it! He could have closed it, shoved a chair in front of it, and hid somewhere in his huge office, while he called the police.  Instead, he opens the door wide and lets the stalker back in!  

• Love 1