Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Episode Three

This Episode is on demand now--dying for someone besides me to scream about it. This was the best one I have seen in a long time, but at the same time, I now see they were building to it. And it had to happen like it did.

Can't believe Showtime is so patient, waiting for this to find its audience--this is the funniest thing on tv or maybe it's just more my sense of humor than the other comedies. I do love Nurse Jackie (but don't often think of it as a comedy), amd starting to get into Togetherness, like about one of three blackish episodes and find Girls funnier than my friends and relatives. But, that's about it, can't stand the network comedies (except first 30-40 minutes of SNL) and miss the weirder offbeat cable ones like Bored to Death and Men of a Certain Age.

But the writing and casting of Episodes is something amazing. 

• Love 8

Episode 3. I'm not entirely sure I stopped laughing for the whole episode.

Is it the best one they've done? Possibly. Matt and Beverly's Day Out was just stupendous, and I loved seeing Matt as the mature one and Bev getting a bit looney tunes. Sean didn't have much to do in comparison, but I guess he's the guy moving the plot forward. Poor sap. Really liked the scenes with Matt and his ex as well. They've done such a good job of establishing a history between the two that encompasses happy and sad times.

Carol and Helen's scenes? Outstanding. And those are two very attractive women, I must say.

I want to say lots more, but don't want to be spoilery.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 5

OMG!! I would like to say something intelligent, but that's what I'm left with after this episode. I love this show so much! I get Showtime just for it. Matt and Bev were great--I don't think she actually hates him as much as she wants to some days, and this day out had to go a long way to making up for some of the things he's pulled. Just as Bev said!

Oh no--Sean what did you do? And Dianne--giving up both her sobriety and her good sense all in one go. But I agree, they definitely feel like people who were once in love and are still tied to each other forever because of their kids. Very well developed relationship.

• Love 1

Thank you for starting this!

Carols little voiceover at the end, hilarious, love that Helen Basch is different. And carol is by now just known as prey for the boss,

Can't wait to see how she talks about this, or not, to Bev...

And yes Matt and his ex for the win.

• Love 2
Oh, you just KNOW she's gonna tell Bev about it on the next walk!  I can't wait either.

I'm thinking Carol's going to need red wine and pot for this little chat.  And so will Bev -- bracing herself to inform Carol about her and Sean's predicament with Mr. Oh-No.  

Well done, Danny Franks, for predicting the Carol/Helen entanglement.  What none of us seemed to see coming was the initiator.  What would be sad (and therefore brave on the writers' part) would be if this is where Carol decides to see the light -- or even a lawyer -- about sexual harassment in the workplace.  Which Carol has hitherto relied on as her Plan B: almost indistinguishable from her Plan A.

I do love how Matt is portrayed as canny and even grounded about the trials and perqs of fame, ranging from his "I'm responding without actually speaking" reaction to Wendy's greeting last week, to his working the swag emporium.  And his scene with Diane -- another of his not-quite-articulated reactions, about their son's precocious artwork, had me cheering.  

• Love 2

Well done, Danny Franks, for predicting the Carol/Helen entanglement.  What none of us seemed to see coming was the initiator.  What would be sad (and therefore brave on the writers' part) would be if this is where Carol decides to see the light -- or even a lawyer -- about sexual harassment in the workplace.  Which Carol has hitherto relied on as her Plan B: almost indistinguishable from her Plan A.

I have to say, I'm a tiny bit disappointed in how it played out. Because I was looking forward to Carol spazzing out over fancying Helen, and whether she should do anything and whether Helen would be interested, and what it says about Carol's issues. But I guess this works well, with Helen as the initiator, because Carol was into it and we can still see her spazzing out about 'turning lesbian' the next time she talks to Beverly. I hope they don't take this down a sour route though, because Carol is smart and capable and good at her job, and she has been crapped on by lousy douchebags. It'd be nice if Helen was an actual genuine relationship for her. But I think it's up in the air whether Carol is really attracted to Helen, or just a complete sucker for bosses.

Beverly losing her mind over the (admittedly amazing) gifting suite was great to see. I love that she has this one huge weakness that she just can't control. Free shit. Does it have to be good? Nope. But if it's free, she'll take it. Matt as the jaded old industry vet, recognising the ties that came with all this 'no ties' stuff was nice. I like it when they let Matt be more grounded and sensible. Because he probably went crazy over freebies like that too, once upon a time. But it's been too many years and too many photos of him holding a can of energy drink or wearing a branded t-shirt.

I actually liked the development with Matt and Dianne, because they do have this complicated, messy history, and I think they do have some nice chemistry together. There were a couple of times last season when I thought they were going to hook up. My only concern is the fallout, with Dianne hating Matt for getting her tipsy and taking advantage, or Matt screwing things up and alienating her again.

I did love her reaction to the kiss, where she knows it's an awful idea, but she's gonna do it anyway.

• Love 2

The previews make it sound like MLB is calculating the financial benefits of getting back with the ex.

He wasn't terribly heartbroken when Merk's ex broke up with him after catching him cheating.

He seems more intent on improving his finances.

He's obliviously rakish, almost verging on douchieness yet is convinced and manages to convince everyone else that he's really not a bad guy.

How else to explain how Sean and Bev are still friends with him.

Carol already has a better personal and professional relationship with Helen than she's had with any of her other bosses. Their rapport seems easy and comfortable right away, and they seem to get each other.

• Love 2

The previews make it sound like MLB is calculating the financial benefits of getting back with the ex.

He wasn't terribly heartbroken when Merk's ex broke up with him after catching him cheating.

He seems more intent on improving his finances.

He's obliviously rakish, almost verging on douchieness yet is convinced and manages to convince everyone else that he's really not a bad guy.

I feel like Matt's more of an 'after the fact' guy than anything else. I don't think he was intent on seducing his ex, to try reconciling and limiting his expenses. I think he just went with what he wanted in the moment, and now he's figuring out it could really benefit him. It'll blow up in his face, I'm sure.

• Love 2

The old partner is probably going to win full ownership of the hot new show leaving Sean and Bev stuck in Pucksatory.

Merc's Dutch import sounds a lot like "Solitary."

Edited by jbrecken
  • Love 1

So I wonder if Sean's ex writing partner has a case. I'm not crazy about the character so I hope he doesn't become a regular.

I agree. There are many ways to describe the characters on this show, desperate, crazy, smarmy, manipulative. . . But part of what I like is that none of it is mean spirited. 

I'm not so sure about this guy.

English smarm seems to be the very worst kind!

The guy playing Andrew nails it... sooooo obsequious and phony.

English smarm in the 21st century elbowing aside traditional English charm?  Which was itself most subversively deconstructed by Anthony Blanche in Brideshead:  "...Simple, creamy, English charm...Charm is the great English blight.  It does not exist outside these damp islands.  It spots and kills anything it touches.  It kills love; it kills art; and I greatly fear, my dear Charles, it has killed you."

The ex writing partner is absolutely being evil. First, he doesn't like Bev, so that's a problem. But furthermore, he clearly was approaching Sean only to blackmail him about the script. And it was definitely blackmail. The look on his face when he brought up the lawyers...

The old partner is probably going to win full ownership of the hot new show leaving Sean and Bev stuck in Pucksatory.

At best (realistically) they could be forced to credit him as having helped create the show and given some kind of monetary compensation. I don't see any way he could  take over the show himself. By his own admission he helped develop the idea with Sean, not by himself.

But I do still think something is going to happen with Pucks to keep it going because I can't see how else they end up staying tied to Matt and Morning. Unless this new partner wins some kind of executive control and casts both of them in The Opposite of Us.

• Love 2

Interesting to me that they say and show everything on this show but the kiss faded to black.  We can't show girls kissing?

Hilarious episode though, esp Matt and Bev's day and Matt needing a "line" for every freaking piece of dialogue..

[Matt] is convinced and manages to convince everyone else that he's really not a bad guy.

Well, he's managed to convince me that he's really not a bad guy. So I don't think of him as manipulative, and I don't think the show wants us to think of him that way. I think the show wants us to see his humanity, and to like him despite everything. Even, somehow, to like him when he panics over only having $31 million left.

A tribute to the writing--and to LeBlanc's performance.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3

Interesting to me that they say and show everything on this show but the kiss faded to black.  We can't show girls kissing?

Probably just to set up the joke where after the screen goes dark you hear Carol say "I may have more than just daddy issues." Because it was a funnier line after the fade-out than it would have been if the camera had remained on.

My favorite part though was Bev picking up that lady's purse, and after Matt gives it back to the woman who owns it she snits at him "You owe me a handbag!"

• Love 5

Don't get me wrong, it would be fun to be friends with the MLB in Episodes.  He's generous and fun to be around.

But he's going to do shady things like cheat and you probably don't want to leave your wife alone with him.

• Love 2

I loved Bev at the Gift Bag extravaganza. I would've been all over that place too, who doesn't love free stuff. It was nice of Matt to bring her along.

I agree with others they have done a good job of building the relationship between Matt and his ex-wife. Most shows struggle with that. So I wasn't surprised they hooked up, I was waiting for them to that for awhile.

This new guy is going to take their show isn't he? I also think that Matt's not giving a fuck about Pucks is going to making the ratings soar, making Sean and Bev have to continue writing for it. 

Good call on Carol and Helen. I really hope Carol starts talking about Helen on their walk and Bev just goes "you slept with her didn't you". 

• Love 1

I am firm in my belief that the strength of the show is really Bev, Sean, Matt. But this is the exception that proved the rule. This was great. We all were hoping Carol was going to hook up with HELEN BASCH. I'm surprised it happened so fast.

The entire gift bag scenes were a relief to the Sean/Opposite of Us problem. I don't think this will cause Bev and Sean to have to drop the show because I think Carol would convince HB that they shouldn't do the show without them. 

If they optioned the show direct to series, it has to be good. But you can't have this tv show that we watch be about a tv show that's really good. Bringing in the new guy should introduce interesting conflict. 

I'm still holding out for Sean/Bev/Matt/Morning to just throw it in and improv the remaining episodes of Pucks and they turn out brilliant. 

On a lesser show, the scenes with MLB and the ex wife would be contrived. I think she really sold the scenes. I didn't feel like she "gave in" or was pressured. If she really wanted him to leave, he would have. I think they both new if she put on the dress, it was a done deal. 

• Love 2

To the comedy-savvy on here--what about the pregnant moaner? Carol's staff member who just grunts and moans (sorry, don't know the words for what she really does, something between a smoothie maker and clearing her throat) appears to be very pregnant. Won't they have to just leave her that way, since if there is a baby, she would surely have to verbalize at some point? 

• Love 1