Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I really don't think they did.  It has always been more of a dumb luck thing if the characters had chemistry, IMO. 

I find some movies so boring.  This one I didn't find boring and I kind of liked it.  I liked the focus on friendship and didn't think they were silly. 

I did think he had more chemistry with the blonde but I think it would have been better had they kept up the vague "is he flirting with her?" vibe he had with both of the women throughout the movie and have it be revealed later that he was married or not interested in either of them.  I'm usually all in for the romcom aspect of these movies even if they rarely have chemistry but this is one instance where I didn't need it.

I'm surprised they didn't give the blonde a love interest. 

I actually didn't feel like the blonde friend even necessarily had a crush on Chris anymore-- at least not in the way the movie was described as leaning into the love triangle trope.  And as far as the blonde getting a love interest, I almost felt like they were going to have her end up getting romantically involved with the popular girl that she was hanging out with throughout the movie. 

• Like 6
54 minutes ago, Miss Bones said:

I almost felt like they were going to have her end up getting romantically involved with the popular girl that she was hanging out with throughout the movie. 

I thought those two actresses were the ones with the most chemistry. Never Been Kris'd was fine, but it's not one I'll bother watching again. My DVR is already packed to the gills with holiday movies, and it's only the first week of November! I hadn't realized they started airing new movies in mid-October this year, so I'm playing major catchup. 

I agree with others that Mystic Christmas was enjoyable, but there was zero chemistry between the two leads. I think Chandler Massey is a fantastic actor, but he has a hard time generating romantic chemistry with his love interests. I think his best pairing has been with Lyndsey Fonseca in Next Stop, Christmas.

The script for Checkin' It Twice was really bad. I cringed through most of it. But Kim Matula is just so charming, she made it watchable. I thought Kevin McGarry was good in this too, and their romance was believable. 

• Like 1

I started watching My Christmas Guide expecting it to be awful but it was much more enjoyable than expected. I think it really helped that a lot of the movie was the two leads walking around and talking to each other. Christmas felt like a backdrop rather than the plot. The third act conflict still wasn’t well developed but it also wasn’t a misunderstanding. 

On 11/4/2023 at 3:02 AM, Daff said:

The guide dog movie was watchable. Two things annoyed, though. No way the dedicated trainer would have even gone beyond one date with the slimy narcissist, and why in the world would the father just suddenly give up the dog? I did appreciate the very realistic views of winter slush-filled streets which reminded me of odd-even parking.

Watchable is a good description. 

They addressed why she was dating the narcissist. She said he had changed and when they met he doted on her and she believed he was thoughtful. Sounded like early relationship love bombing before the true colors come out.

As for the dog, he gave him up because he gave up on trying to have a normal life that wasn’t defined by his disability. The dog represented his ability to freely navigate the world and once he was pushed into no longer teaching it killed his hope for more. 

• Like 1

I didn’t hate Never Been Chris’d but agree the leads didn’t have chemistry. I didn’t even feel like there was a romance. Like I said in another post, I would have preferred for neither to end up with him and it was just a story about their friendship. 

Never have I ever played with cookies instead of alcohol? 🙄 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
8 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

Never have I ever played with cookies instead of alcohol? 🙄 

That "never have I ever" game made me roll my eyes big time.  These are people in their 30's, not college freshmen.

20 minutes ago, anniebird said:

I gave lt a 3.

You were more generous than I was. I gave it a 2 for wasting two hours of my life that I will never get back.

• Like 3

I only saw one other comment on Ms Christmas Comes To Town, so I'm here to give it some love.  Barbara Niven is her terrific self and lends some major believability to the story by going sans-make up, or darn close to it for some scenes.  Her whole story line was terrific and fairly unique.

Erica Durance handled the conflict with total maturity.  Good chemistry between her and Brennan.  Lots of feels.  All the Christmas stuff felt organic to the story.

Was so happy that they made a haircut for Brennan a plot point, because the first time he was on screen I was totally distracted by his terrible hair.  He cleaned up REAL GOOD.

Highly recommend this one.

• Like 6

Never Been Chris'd didn't do much for me, either.  The story seemed disjointed.  The two women supposedly had a very successful business, but they both still acted like they were teens.  It's hard to imagine two such immature people being so successful.  I liked their friendship and their ultimate decision to separate as business partners but stay friends; but felt like they were about 10 years too late in realizing that.  It would've made more sense if they were mid 20's and not mid 30's.

Both of the mother characters were total stereotypes with no nuance and I could've done without them, or at least a little more subtlety. I did like that one of the friends was Jewish and that they both participated in the other's family holiday traditions.

I was hoping that they'd just realize that Chris, while a great guy, was not the fantasy guy they dreamed about in high school, but a real person and that neither of them were right for him.  Then, they could go about helping find the right woman and play matchmaker.  Or something.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 6
51 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

That "never have I ever" game made me roll my eyes big time.  These are people in their 30's, not college freshmen.

If they had just left it at that, then ok - I’d elevate it to marginally watchable but then Liz felt she had to organize /host the Jingle Ball?!?!  Da hell? It’s ridiculous it took until the ball itself for Liz and the other blond (former prom/homecoming etc. queen) to realize they didn’t need a “re-do” to validate their lives.  The smallest mercy was Prom Blond realizing she didn’t want to do announcing of the Jingle Ball king and queen after all.  How ridiculous that would have been!

This really should have just focused on friendship, period.  Flirting with Tyler’s character  - but no actual romance would have been ideal.

• Like 4

Anyone else watch the Santa Summit? I really enjoyed it. I liked that all three female leads had their own storyline but also seemed to have good friendship chemistry. I also liked the guy the one had the near miss with.

The nerd love with the math teacher who liked Lord of the Rings was especially cute. They were so awkward.

Everyone getting on stage with the singer at the end seemed a bit ridiculous though. 

• Like 10

The other day they aired Trading Christmas and what a reminder of how good Hallmark Christmas movies used to be.  Well known actors, good plot,  characters you actually care about.  A movie I wouldn't hesitate to watch with someone  who would normally turn their nose up at a Hallmark Christmas movie 😀.

• Like 9
23 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Anyone else watch the Santa Summit? I really enjoyed it. I liked that all three female leads had their own storyline but also seemed to have good friendship chemistry. I also liked the guy the one had the near miss with.

The nerd love with the math teacher who liked Lord of the Rings was especially cute. They were so awkward.

Everyone getting on stage with the singer at the end seemed a bit ridiculous though. 

I thought it was good too. Had some lines that made me laugh out loud. Hallmark isn’t generally known for being clever or witty so that stood out for me.

23 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Edited by Nacos for Rufus
Not sure why there was a double quote. Whoops.
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

The other day they aired Trading Christmas and what a reminder of how good Hallmark Christmas movies used to be.  Well known actors, good plot,  characters you actually care about.  A movie I wouldn't hesitate to watch with someone  who would normally turn their nose up at a Hallmark Christmas movie 😀.

This one is on my list of all-time favorite Christmas movies.

• Like 3
On 11/6/2023 at 7:53 PM, KaveDweller said:

Unfortunately, I thought this movie was really boring. The only things I liked were:

1) focus on the friendship between the three women; and

2) the clever way Liam re-connected with um, er...what's Hunter's character's name again?  Anyway, making a gingerbread model of her dream house was fantastic.

• Like 1

A Royal Christmas Crush -- what was the name of their Scandinavian country?  Fridgidaria?  I didn't hear it clearly, lol.

The usual ridiculous, absurd and downright embarrassing commoner/monarch Hallmark nonsense. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

A Royal Christmas Crush -- what was the name of their Scandinavian country?  Fridgidaria?  I didn't hear it clearly, lol.

The usual ridiculous, absurd and downright embarrassing commoner/monarch Hallmark nonsense. 

In my opinion, the only "Royal" Hallmark Christmas movie that was any good was One Royal Holiday with Aaron Tviet and Laura Osnes. Everything was way above Hallmark's normal standard, especially the cast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
18 hours ago, anniebird said:

This one is on my list of all-time favorite Christmas movies.

23 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

I agree! Very good acting and a solid script. I’ve only watched one of the new Christmas movies, either I’ve been busy or they didn’t appeal to me, but this Saturday’s “Christmas Island” looks interesting. 

2 hours ago, anniebird said:

In my opinion, the only "Royal" Hallmark Christmas movie that was any good was One Royal Holiday with Aaron Tviet and Laura Osnes. Everything was way above Hallmark's normal standard, especially the cast.

The only two Royal Hallmark Christmas movies I ever rewatch and have done so many times are:

A Crown for Christmas and 

A Princess for Christmas (male lead made this movie before he was the lead in Outlander)

• Applause 2
  • Love 2

They aired Trading Christmas and I missed it?  I'm so bummed.  If you all see it scheduled again, can you post about it here?    That's my all-time favorite Hallmark Christmas movie.  It's on a different level compared to present day Hallmark movies. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

They aired Trading Christmas and I missed it?

They haven’t aired it in the US. They stuck it on Hallmark’s streaming service a few years ago and haven’t aired it since. I miss it every year. 

I did see that it is available to buy and I am tempted. 

On 11/8/2023 at 8:30 AM, norcalgal said:

Unfortunately, I thought this movie was really boring. The only things I liked were:

1) focus on the friendship between the three women; and

2) the clever way Liam re-connected with um, er...what's Hunter's character's name again?  Anyway, making a gingerbread model of her dream house was fantastic.

I thought the same. Too little plot to fill 90 minutes for my taste. 

• Like 2

I agree with others, Santa Summit was quirky in a good way. The three friends seemed like actual friends, and it felt like there was a lot of ad-libbing, which made the dialogue feel less cookie cutter. The actual love story was pretty weak, and I found the scenes where the love interest met Hunter King's friends to be really forced, and kind of weird. Like with friend number two he immediately offered to buy her a drink (yes, it was funny when he said he'd expense it!) and was asking her all of these personal questions. If I'd encountered him in real life, I'd be enforcing the buddy system for the rest of the night to avoid him. 

• LOL 1
On 11/6/2023 at 9:53 PM, KaveDweller said:

Except I found the song exceptionally catchy for some reason.  And I loved his "I only sing if someone pays me" joke.

I liked Santa Summit but my mind started to drift in the middle.  It could have been because of a lack of plot but I was also quite tired so that could have explained it too.  I did like the friends and their love interests (or at least plus ones) more than the main love story even though I like those actors.  I think they get a bit more creative with side characters. 

I'm curious -- not a snarky curiosity mind you but a very serious and respectful inquiry -- does anyone here enjoy John Waters' movies with Divine? (and Tab Hunter)  I love them and wonder if their transgressive campy trash value can be happily reconciled with an addiction to these stodgy and synthetic Hallmark productions.   (Turner Classic Movies ran Hairspray, Cry Baby and Polyester last night)

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

I'm curious -- not a snarky curiosity mind you but a very serious and respectful inquiry -- does anyone here enjoy John Waters' movies with Divine? (and Tab Hunter)  I love them and wonder if their transgressive campy trash value can be happily reconciled with an addiction to these stodgy and synthetic Hallmark productions.

I like them, but I think my enjoyment of Hallmark movies has more to do with basic tropes (Fake dating! Second chance romance! Enemies to lovers!) found in summer beach reads.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Thanks, absnow54.  So if I'm interpreting correctly, you simutaneously view the Hallmark movies as viable escapist romantic entertainment which might touch some emotive part of the heart and soul yet still be made fun of?

Yes, when so many showrunners are priding themselves for plot twists that are subversive and unexpected, I enjoy the predictability of Hallmark Christmas movies. Completely low stakes, albeit contrived cotton candy for the brain. (And yes, snarking on them is a lot of fun too, because nobody on this planet has that many winter coats.)

• Like 6
  • LOL 5
57 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Yes, when so many showrunners are priding themselves for plot twists that are subversive and unexpected, I enjoy the predictability of Hallmark Christmas movies. Completely low stakes, albeit contrived cotton candy for the brain. (And yes, snarking on them is a lot of fun too, because nobody on this planet has that many winter coats.)

And they are magic winter coats because 6 of them fit into one backpack.

• Like 2
  • LOL 14
2 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

Everything Christmas - fifteen minutes in and I hate it.

In the immortal words of Lou Grant:

“You know what?” You’ve got spunk!”

“Well, yeah,” responds Mary Richards.

“I hate spunk!” 

I'm out.

I had to turn it off partway through too. Boring and an annoying main character.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I'm curious -- not a snarky curiosity mind you but a very serious and respectful inquiry -- does anyone here enjoy John Waters' movies with Divine? (and Tab Hunter)  I love them and wonder if their transgressive campy trash value can be happily reconciled with an addiction to these stodgy and synthetic Hallmark productions.   (Turner Classic Movies ran Hairspray, Cry Baby and Polyester last night)

OT but I love them. I watched Pink Flamingoes on my first date with my now husband in 1974. Yes, you read that right. Midnight movie. We were in college. I also watched Polyester last night. Divine was a wonderful soul. There’s a good documentary about him. So you are not alone. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2

Rewatched two faves from last year. I usually don’t find myself drawn to rewatch any Hallmark Christmas movies. The one with the two gay uncles (The Holiday Sitter) and Next Stop, Christmas. Where the lead actress goes back to the past. The funnier movies are usually better in my view. I haven’t found any new ones that I like this year 
I’m watching Where Are You, Christmas?  It may turn out to be fun. It’s a take on Its a Wonderful Life. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

OT but I love them. I watched Pink Flamingoes on my first date with my now husband in 1974. Yes, you read that right. Midnight movie. We were in college. I also watched Polyester last night. Divine was a wonderful soul. There’s a good documentary about him. So you are not alone. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bronx Babe said:
14 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Thanks so much for this, Ethel -- I really did think I was alone here, lol.  So John Waters sealed the deal!  Great bonding experience!    I'd love to see the Divine doc!   I also need to check out MULTIPLE MANIACS. 

From the sublime to the, well, never mind:  The Santa Summit -- "Favorite food" -- "Tacos!" -- "Favorite movie" -- "Casablanca"     CLICK 

Edited by Bronx Babe
  • Like 2

I thought Christmas Island has been the most consistent and formulaic movie so far this year. It was fine, and had a decent story arc, but still, kind of dull. 

I only watched the last 20 minutes of A Heidelberg Christmas. I've actually spent time in that area, so I wanted to be excited for it, but it seemed really melodramatic.

Navigating Christmas looks like it might be fun *fingers crossed.* I'm still waiting for one decent movie this year that's rewatchable. So far The Santa Summit is the only one that's come close to making the cut. 

• Like 1

Christmas Island was solid but forgettable. I was more into the married couple than the main couple.  I liked A Heidelberg Holiday quite a bit.  The scenery was gorgeous, and they used the location a lot better than the movie they shot in France (Joyeux Noel.) I'd rewatch the movie just for that. 

The romance came together naturally and early, which was a nice surprise.  There also wasn't a misunderstanding that tore them apart.  It did get a little melodramatic once the broken ornaments arrived, but that was only for a short bit.

One thing I do find amusing is that the movies avoid talking about "what happens next."  For instance, the woman from A Christmas Island got her dream job working as a private pilot for the pilot, but they live in LA, and Andrew's character lives near Nova Scotia.  And the woman in A Heidelberg Holiday got into the next year's Christmas market, but I can't remember if they said she'd stay in Germany or if they're just going to put their relationship on hold for a year. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1