Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/10/2022 at 12:09 PM, KaveDweller said:

There are different types of colorblindness. Most of them involve just not being able to see certain colors, but there is a type where people can't see any color and only see black and white. It is really rate though.

I missed that one and I guess I will not be looking for it. 

My husband has this type of colorblindness where he can't see colors at all.  What I found funny about this movie was that the teachers' clothes were all gray. When they showed his closet, all of this shirts and sweaters were gray. My husband wears a suit for work but he has just learned to have 3 basic suits, a few basic colors for shirts and has learned which ties go with which shirt. Of course he asks me if things match, but mostly he's able to figure things out by only having basics. 

I did think the mom/optometrist over-stepped by pushing the issue of his colorblindness. He's clearly learned to adjust and live with it. 

• Like 2

I'm still recovering from Hanukkah on Rye.  And sure enough:  "Our latkes are the best!"  "No, OUR latkes are the best!" (sigh....Hallmark and their everlasting obsession with competition....)  And even:  "This rye bread is the best I ever had!"  

Where do I begin -- Jacob, whose Jewish family runs a Jewish deli in California, has never heard of Fiddler on the Roof.  Really????

Molly, whose family has been running their Jewish deli from 100 years ago, struggles to make a simple egg cream.  (they got the authenticity correct with what was clearly U-Bet chocolate syrup.  The actress strategically folded her hands over the logo.  She put in too much milk)

Lower East Side Jewish deli has a Hanukkah floor show, complete with Lisa Loeb and guitar.  Sure, I'll buy that.  NOT.  

Apparently the winter holidays are celebrated in summer.  Styrofoam snow cannot distract from leafy green foilage on real trees.

Oh I almost forgot -- @bankerchick will appreciate this, I think -- a family member from the Zimmer Los Angeles Jewish deli is arguing that they should eliminate poutine from their international menu.  Another family member counters this with "What's wrong with people wanting to feel they are eating something from home?  What do you have against Canadians?"

• LOL 2
9 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Oh I almost forgot -- @bankerchick will appreciate this, I think -- a family member from the Zimmer Los Angeles Jewish deli is arguing that they should eliminate poutine from their international menu.  Another family member counters this with "What's wrong with people wanting to feel they are eating something from home?  What do you have against Canadians?"

Personally, I have never had poutine.  Even though there is the odd restaurant (mostly fast food chains like Harveys or A&W) who sell it, it is almost exclusively a Quebec treat, previous Hallmark mentions notwithstanding.    I haven't been to Quebec in a while, but I have to admit, as I get older, the idea of fries with gravy and melted cheese does sound pretty appealing.  I'm mostly used to movies making fun of Canadian bacon and as someone who is not crazy about bacon as a general rule, I have to say, I wouldn't choose it over normal strip bacon either.

I don't know what egg cream is but if it's a drink with eggs, I'm not interested.

13 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Lower East Side Jewish deli has a Hanukkah floor show, complete with Lisa Loeb and guitar.  Sure, I'll buy that.  NOT.  

I knew the artist was real, though I forgot her name, but I thought the song was a joke?  'It's Hanukkah.  Yay.'  The dreidl song has more depth.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bronx Babe said:

I'm still recovering from Hanukkah on Rye.  And sure enough:  "Our latkes are the best!"  "No, OUR latkes are the best!" (sigh....Hallmark and their everlasting obsession with competition....)  And even:  "This rye bread is the best I ever had!"  

Where do I begin -- Jacob, whose Jewish family runs a Jewish deli in California, has never heard of Fiddler on the Roof.  Really????

Molly, whose family has been running their Jewish deli from 100 years ago, struggles to make a simple egg cream.  (they got the authenticity correct with what was clearly U-Bet chocolate syrup.  The actress strategically folded her hands over the logo.  She put in too much milk)

Apparently the winter holidays are celebrated in summer.  Styrofoam snow cannot distract from leafy green foilage on real trees.

I'll see your egg cream and Fiddler and poutine and raise you the following:  signature ranch dressing for fries!???  What was that?   Did they bring that recipe over on the Rotterdam

Anyway, for those who are wondering, an egg cream is an old luncheonette soda fountain treat:  Chocolate syrup, seltzer and milk.  Don't know why it's called an egg cream.  You wouldn't serve it in a deli, because most delis used to be kosher and they wouldn't serve dairy with corned beef and pastrami and other meat dishes.  Also no sour cream with latkes.  If it was just a "kosher style" deli, they'd serve it, and I'm guessing it was just the latter in this movie. 

And I still liked this movie!

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1

So glad I was eating lunch during Hanukkah on Rye because I would have been starving. Good movie! I love both leads (Jeremy in Supergirl and Yael from Jane the Virgin). They better put Yael in other movies because she was fantastic.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

it is almost exclusively a Quebec treat, previous Hallmark mentions notwithstanding. 

I live in Ontario and poutine and many variations of it are pretty routinely available most places.  I'm not a fan, personally, but the heart wants what the heart wants.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Wasn't it just that he hadn't seen it? Not that he hadn't heard of it? I'm Jewish and have never seen it....oops. Guess I should try to.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
13 minutes ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

Wasn't it just that he hadn't seen it? Not that he hadn't heard of it? I'm Jewish and have never seen it....oops. Guess I should try to.

Exactly.  He didn't recognize the bit she quoted but he knew about Fiddler.  He just hadn't seen it.  Just like  You've Got Mail had Tom Hanks own the "soulless corporate" bookstore while the book passionate Meg Ryan owned the "personalized niche" bookstore, I think Jeremy Jordan was meant to trend as more secular himself while Yael's family was more adherent to culture and traditions. 

• Like 3

I really liked that Molly apologized (multiple times) that she originally was trying to get Jacob to not open a new deli on their street. It was very refreshing to see two grown people have a normal adult conversation instead of being rude and selfish. And I do have to admit that the movie made me teary eyed a few times. This has jumped up to #1 on my favorite movie this holiday season.

• Like 9
5 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Parents from Bronx.  Raised in Queens.  Live in Manhattan now.  Can walk to Zabars!

Ah, thanks.  I had relatives living in Brooklyn, Queens, and North Miami.  They're all gone now.

I've been in South Florida for some time now.  Still looking for decent bagels and a good whitefish salad.  You lucky girl!

2 hours ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

I was under the impression from his reaction that he never even heard of Fiddler on the Roof.   Oh well, when they run the movie again I'll take a second look.  I hope I'm wrong, lol.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Personally, I have never had poutine.  Even though there is the odd restaurant (mostly fast food chains like Harveys or A&W) who sell it, it is almost exclusively a Quebec treat, previous Hallmark mentions notwithstanding.    I haven't been to Quebec in a while, but I have to admit, as I get older, the idea of fries with gravy and melted cheese does sound pretty appealing.  I'm mostly used to movies making fun of Canadian bacon and as someone who is not crazy about bacon as a general rule, I have to say, I wouldn't choose it over normal strip bacon either.

I don't know what egg cream is but if it's a drink with eggs, I'm not interested.

I knew the artist was real, though I forgot her name, but I thought the song was a joke?  'It's Hanukkah.  Yay.'  The dreidl song has more depth.

I've never had poutine but it sounds delicious to me -- french fries, gravy and melted cheese, what's not to like, lol?

I prefer regular strip bacon myself.

An egg cream is just chocolate syrup, milk and seltzer in certain time-honored proportions.

I never cared for Lisa Loeb.

1 hour ago, twoods said:

I really liked that Molly apologized (multiple times) that she originally was trying to get Jacob to not open a new deli on their street. It was very refreshing to see two grown people have a normal adult conversation instead of being rude and selfish. And I do have to admit that the movie made me teary eyed a few times. This has jumped up to #1 on my favorite movie this holiday season.

Have you seen Crossing Delancey?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Exactly.  He didn't recognize the bit she quoted but he knew about Fiddler.  He just hadn't seen it.  Just like  You've Got Mail had Tom Hanks own the "soulless corporate" bookstore while the book passionate Meg Ryan owned the "personalized niche" bookstore, I think Jeremy Jordan was meant to trend as more secular himself while Yael's family was more adherent to culture and traditions. 

I thought Jacob really didn't know anything about Fiddler, not just the movie, but you might be correct.  I'll watch it again just to make sure.

Just now, twoods said:

No I have never heard of that movie, but just read the description and it’s definitely up my alley. Thanks!

I think you will love it!

5 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I'll see your egg cream and Fiddler and poutine and raise you the following:  signature ranch dressing for fries!???  What was that?   Did they bring that recipe over on the Rotterdam

LOL

• Like 1
6 hours ago, FunnyFace said:

IKR. Not only was the space for a floor show totally unrealistic but so was the pristine quality of the restaurant. ;)

I also thought the place was too clean for a NYC Lower East Side deli in business for 100 years but attributed that to the fact it was to my eyes recognizably Canadian.  They don't do shabby.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Have you seen Crossing Delancey?

I love this movie! Especially since Reizl Boyzik, who plays Amy Irving's Bubbie, sounds (and acts) exactly like my own grandma, who passed in 1991. Sometimes I watch the movie just so I can close my eyes and listen to her talk.

On topic, I had to DVR Hanukkah on Rye so I haven't seen it yet but I'm intrigued. I'm off work this week, so I should be able to watch it by the end of the week. It caught my attention not only because of the Jewish connection, but because Yael Grobglas was my favorite part of Jane the Virgin.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I love this movie.

I would be very happy with Sam, because I naturally just love pickles anyway. Sour, sweet, mixed, they make life worth living! (along with Haagen-Daz ice cream, freshly squeezed orange juice, chopped liver, and anything chocolate)

30 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I love Crossing Delancey.  It's a little similar in plot. 

Me too. Similar but more, well, human, lol.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
17 minutes ago, kirinan said:

I love this movie! Especially since Reizl Boyzik, who plays Amy Irving's Bubbie, sounds (and acts) exactly like my own grandma, who passed in 1991. Sometimes I watch the movie just so I can close my eyes and listen to her talk.

On topic, I had to DVR Hanukkah on Rye so I haven't seen it yet but I'm intrigued. I'm off work this week, so I should be able to watch it by the end of the week. It caught my attention not only because of the Jewish connection, but because Yael Grobglas was my favorite part of Jane the Virgin.

So sorry about your beloved grandma.  My own passed away in 1989.  Reizl is wonderful as Izzy's bubbe. (and when you see Hanukkah on Rye's matchmaker, she is, to say the least, nothing like Sylvia Miles in Crossing Delancey, lol)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kirinan said:

Ion, but because Yael Grobglas was my favorite part of Jane the Virgin.

OT. As far as I’m concerned Jaime Camil is the best part of anything he is in but I will have to check this out for this other actress too. I never watched the whole series. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I've never had poutine but it sounds delicious to me -- french fries, gravy and melted cheese, what's not to like, lol?

Gravy.  No thank you!

2 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I thought Jacob really didn't know anything about Fiddler, not just the movie, but you might be correct.  I'll watch it again just to make sure.

I guess it could be open to interpretation. I'll have to look too but I didn't think his surprise meant a total lack of knowledge.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1

I enjoyed Hanukkah on Rye and loved the character interaction.  While the grandmothers were familiar to me I don't remember seeing the parents in other programs.  It's nice to see folks not in regular rotation.

I also enjoyed Five More Minutes, etc.  It may be because I am a widow that I was inclined to find it touching.  And another cameo - Nikki Deloach!

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

Oh, yeah!  I did see that one, and I guess I didn't notice that she had toned down the clown.  I have to say, she wasn't too bad in the new Five More Minutes, but I found it kind of boring.  And I am also not a fan of the guy that played her love interest, Lucas Bryant, either.  I just find something off-putting about him.

Hahaha - same here!  The posters on this forum brought it to my attention, and now I can't not cringe every time the poor woman cracks a grin. 

Ugh, I watched 4 HM movies this weekend, and I believe 3 out of 4 (may have been all 4) referenced the BIG CITY.  The writers have to be trolling us, at this point.

I have not watched it yet, but am looking forward to it, after seeing positive reviews from most here.  However, when I was watching other HM movies through the weekend, I was getting so hungry when they would play the ads for Hannukah on Rye.  Mmm the food looked sooo good!!

And…they telegraphed “best food ever” throughout every one of those previews! So, not a tough bet for the bingo game. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I’m in the middle of Hanukkah on Rye. Really scratched my head over the Ranch dressing. I would have thought it would be Thousand Island in plentiful supply because it tastes so good with pastrami, corned beef, rye and pumpernickel (sorry, mustard fans, it’s just not rich enough). 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I guess it could be open to interpretation. I'll have to look too but I didn't think his surprise meant a total lack of knowledge.

Watched it again last night and you guys are correct.   He seemed to be just taken off guard by the seemingly out-of-the-blue reference to Tevya, then remembered the name but told her he didn't see the Broadway show/movie.  This is because the scriptwriters love to make these cultural allusions for every ethnic group portrayed; in this case it was Jewish=Fiddler on the Roof.

• Like 1

Can't say I really cared for Hannukah on the Rye, one way or the other. Better than the usual "Hannukah traditions vs Christmas traditions", but something bothered me in this one's writing (and not just the clear "that's nice, but make it 500 % more jewish" notes the writer seemed to have received here).

I liked Twas the night before Christmas, mostly for the whole premise and the ghosts. Without those, not sure i'd have been quite as interested in this one.

The Holiday Sitter was... okay. I didn't really care for Bennett's overacting in that one, and overall, it wasn't that memorable, aside from the queerness of it all.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 12/18/2022 at 11:07 PM, bankerchick said:

I think every single one.  Maybe not the chopped liver.  And I have to agree the corned beef sandwich looked amazing.  I did like the movie, but it seemed like the writers decided to write a 'Jewish' movie and threw in every Jewish phrase, food and stereotype they could think of.  

Oops, just saw your above post about 5 minutes ago and of course you are right -- the writers threw in almost every stereotype which they do with all other ethnic groups portrayed in these basically synthetic Hallmark movies.  Nothing feels truly authentic.

4 hours ago, Daff said:

I’m in the middle of Hanukkah on Rye. Really scratched my head over the Ranch dressing. I would have thought it would be Thousand Island in plentiful supply because it tastes so good with pastrami, corned beef, rye and pumpernickel (sorry, mustard fans, it’s just not rich enough). 

Yes!!!!  My favorite is turkey-off-the-frame with Thousand Island on rye.   

I did like the male and female leads in Hanukkah on Rye but have to agree with an IMBD poster that the actor did not particularly act as though he were attracted to women in general.  (not that there is anything wrong with this; just not in a rom-com with opposite sexes)  I don't think they had any real chemistry but did appreciate the fact he looked like an ordinary guy, not some paint-by-the-numbers boring Hallmark handsome wooden model type.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

I did like the male and female leads in Hanukkah on Rye but have to agree with an IMBD poster that the actor did not particularly act as though he were attracted to women in general.  (not that there is anything wrong with this; just not in a rom-com with opposite sexes)  I don't think they had any real chemistry but did appreciate the fact he looked like an ordinary guy, not some paint-by-the-numbers boring Hallmark handsome wooden model type.

I can't say I didn't get a tiny gay vibe from him myself.  He's a big musical theater actor, FWIW. 

As for the mustard/Russian dressing conundrum:  Good coarse deli mustard is appropriate with pastrami or corned beef--if the meat is prepared properly, it's juicy/steamy/fatty enough.  Russian dressing with turkey is great, though. 

I now feel I need to order mashed potatoes with gravy. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Bronx Babe said:

I hear Montreal bagels are delicious in their own unique way, made somewhat sweet with the addition of honey.

I never knew they were different until I saw them on one of the Bake Off shows.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I can't say I didn't get a tiny gay vibe from him myself.  He's a big musical theater actor, FWIW. 

As for the mustard/Russian dressing conundrum:  Good coarse deli mustard is appropriate with pastrami or corned beef--if the meat is prepared properly, it's juicy/steamy/fatty enough.  Russian dressing with turkey is great, though. 

He looked and reminded me of a more attractive and subtle Nathan Lane.

You know your deli foods and condiments!  In Hallmark Bingo word terms, "very impressive".

Potato is my favorite vegetable.  Mashed, fried. baked, boiled, scalloped....

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I don't think they had any real chemistry but did appreciate the fact he looked like an ordinary guy, not some paint-by-the-numbers boring Hallmark handsome wooden model type.

Oh yes, nothing worse than a Hallmark handsome man in a movie 😉. If it weren't for hot men, I wouldn't even watch.  It's not like the female acting or the scintillating dialogue or genuinely intriguing stories are drawing me in.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
On 12/19/2022 at 12:33 PM, bankerchick said:

New York Egg Cream by Ina Garten...........

Pour 3 tablespoons of chocolate syrup and 1/4 cup of milk or half-and-half into a 16-ounce glass. While beating vigorously with a fork, slowly add club soda until the glass is almost full. Add a straw and serve very cold.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The actor is straight for what it’s worth, though. He’s been married to a Broadway actress since 2012, and they have a daughter together.

• Like 4
On 12/19/2022 at 6:06 AM, Cetacean said:

Sounds like Hanukkah on Rye was worth a watch. Unfortunately I missed it and can't see that Hallmark is repeating it anytime soon. I guess only Christmas movies are repeated ad nauseum.

Huh.  I’ve already seen it twice plus they’re screening it again Thursday (and last year’s Eight Gifts of Hannukah is on the late night schedule tonight).

Oh, and this new format?  Sucks.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, voiceover said:

Huh.  I’ve already seen it twice plus they’re screening it again Thursday (and last year’s Eight Gifts of Hannukah is on the late night schedule tonight).

Oh, and this new format?  Sucks.

Keep checking throughout Hanukkah and beyond. It was too good not to run again. As for the new appearance, everything is so pale and washed out-looks like the forum was left out in the sun for a whole summer!

• LOL 1
17 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Oops, just saw your above post about 5 minutes ago and of course you are right -- the writers threw in almost every stereotype which they do with all other ethnic groups portrayed in these basically synthetic Hallmark movies.  Nothing feels truly authentic.

Yes!!!!  My favorite is turkey-off-the-frame with Thousand Island on rye.   

16 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Is a Reuben a Jewish invention? My favorite sandwich is a Red Reuben, made with red cabbage (sweet and sour) instead of sauerkraut (only sour). It’s like having a meal and dessert all at once!

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

CCB lands in Christmas Town and manages to adopt a child in two weeks?

Something I never understood about that plot line, was why his foster father couldn’t adopt him? (It was written as if he really wanted to)

Usually in stories like that, the foster parent doesn’t meet the income requirements or something, but they didn’t even explain it! Was this a “in Hallmark land, single men cannot adopt children” type situation?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Daff said:

Is a Reuben a Jewish invention? My favorite sandwich is a Red Reuben, made with red cabbage (sweet and sour) instead of sauerkraut (only sour). It’s like having a meal and dessert all at once!

It's not kosher, because it has cheese and meat.  I don't know where it really comes from.   There’s a wikipedia origin story.  Sounds mythical.  Sounds like a Jewish diaspora person invented it, someone who had abandoned kosher rules.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 12/12/2022 at 2:38 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

I'm watching this right now and really liking it but I am wondering one thing - what is the age difference between the two leads?  To me he seems much older than her but they seem to have been written as though they are about the same age.

Finally caught Time for Him to come Home for Christmas, and it was not my fave. Just meh. Also too sad maybe. And resolved the deep problems too quickly. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie

Watched the Tale of Two Christmases. I thought it would be more of a What If type of scenario but it seems like it turned out she did actually miss her Christmas Eve flight and she dreamed all that happened if she had made her Christmas Eve flight back home. It was a little confusing to follow.  I didn't particularly care for the 2 potential male love interests but I did like the female lead. I haven't seen her in anything before but I thought she was cute and quirky in a good and believable way. 

• Useful 1

Just finished Five More Minutes 2 : Electric Boogaloo Moments like this, and although i'm usually fine with Ashley Williams' movies (and acting), here, right from the start, something felt off.

I don't know if it was the writing, the pacing, the editing, the energy, the flow or the direction, but it all felt clumsy and awkward, right from the opening, as if a lot of connective tissue had been edited out from the script, either during writing or editing.