Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander for Posterity: DVDs, CDs, and Downloads

theschnauzers
  • Start Topic

Within the last couple of days, there's been word of both a soundtrack and a DVD set for season 1A of Outlander in the US and Canada.

Here's a link to the latest on the DVD sets (Blu Ray, DVD  which apparently are due to be released around March 3rd in the US and Canada (Canada will have both English and French soundtracks.)

See http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Outlander-Season-1-Volume-1/20651 which has proven to be a very reliable source about DVDs for television shows in my experience.

In addition, Sony has announced through its in house music label (Morgan Creek, IIRC) that a soundtrack CD/download EP with 13 tracks for season 1A will be released in early February.

So far, I haven't seen either project come up for pre-order at either Amazon or I-Tunes, although Amazon.ca is taking pre-orders of the Canadian DVD/Blu-Ray release.

For our friends in the UK, who still haven't had word of a UK channel to carry Outlander, they might be able to just order a set from the US or Canda, and make sure they have a region 1 DVD/Blu-Ray player.

The audio CD (listed as Outlander T.O.S., for some reason) is now available on Amazon.com for pre-order and priced at $8.99. (You can search using "Bear McCreary" in the audio CD department to find it.) So far, nothing on downloads or on the season 1A DVD set in the US.

Downloaded the soundtrack during my break at work and listened to it while washing dishes during the lunch rush.  Kept me nice and mellow while I was up to my elbows in floating food chunks.

(not literally, that would be gross, but sometimes it feels like it)

Edited by CatMack

Got it too! I shall be adding it to my mixed soundtrack playlist that I use while writing. Maybe it will inspire me to write as well as Diana. Or maybe it'll just remind me to throw in some random big words. (Which I will do with alacrity. (I swear that's her favorite.))

Not sure if this is the right place to put these...

As some of you know you get little extras with the iTunes downloads and I came across these and thought some of you might like to see them...(I hope its ok to post links to these!)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k6mKLC9alxeOl5a5ZAK - deleted scene from Castle Leoch

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/k79HhKBYmuUeI2a5ZtE - An Epic Adaptation

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/k3jeKGkC0TPPXZa5ZuE - Authentic in Design

• Love 3

Not sure if this is the right place to put these...

As some of you know you get little extras with the iTunes downloads and I came across these and thought some of you might like to see them...(I hope its ok to post links to these!)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k6mKLC9alxeOl5a5ZAK - deleted scene from Castle Leoch

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/k79HhKBYmuUeI2a5ZtE - An Epic Adaptation

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/k3jeKGkC0TPPXZa5ZuE - Authentic in Design

The two featurettes are included in both the DVD and the Blu-Ray releases as well as the I-Tunes season download. The deleted scene and 10 others (according to the description at Amazon) are included on the Blu-Ray release only.

http://www.dailymoti...LC9alxeOl5a5ZAK - deleted scene from Castle Leoch

What a beautiful scene - so warm, intimate and quiet.  A nice contrast after the beating.  It adds a layer of gentle caring (and medical expertise) to the Mrs. Fitz character that would have been most welcome to see.  I wish they would have left it in...

Blame the leeches. I heard they tried a couple of approaches for faux leeches (strips of liver may or may not have been involved) and then resorted to the black felt ones you saw, with the intention of replacing them with CGI leeches. In the end they just decided to cut the critters completely.

I always find those kinds of reveals interesting because it shows the challenge of editing. In the show as broadcast Claire tells Jamie "Take those bandages off in a day or two." What she actually said was "You can take those bandages off in a day or two," which is slightly softer wording and more Claire-like given the warm feelings that flying around during that scene. They had to cut the "You can" because she was standing up from a seated position and they had decided to cut the bit where Claire sat down. Love the behind the scenes stuff.

Can I just say that Claire in the leech scene is, I think, at her most beautiful. Maybe it's the choker -- maybe it's slightly different makeup -- but Cait/Claire is absolutely stunning in that scene. No wonder Jamie looks so gutted when she says she is leaving.

Edited by WatchrTina

That's what happens when you use non-union leeches, I guess.  

Claire/Cait did look extra angelic thanks to Mrs. Fitz's entrance with that giant candle aka fill light.  I actually really liked the way they lighted that scene.  There was a nice warm glow to the room.

Edited by chocolatetruffle
  • Love 2

I haven't gotten the set yet (no player to play them on right now), and now I think I'm glad. In the PaleyFest live-cast, Ron Moore mentioned that the 1/2-season sets don't have his podcast commentaries on them; they won't be included until the full-season release near Christmas.

Ron's comments contradicted everything that has been said previously...which was that there wouldn't be a full-season release, just parts 1 and 2. The Part 1 box I have explicitly has space for the part 2 set of discs. Ron has also said that marketing hates him because he gets everything wrong so it will be interesting to see what is actually released!

Stupid question but here goes: I can't get Starz but love the show. I have very good internet access, would pay by the episode if I could. Where can you go to see first run episodes? Legitimately? 

I haven't gotten the set yet (no player to play them on right now), and now I think I'm glad. In the PaleyFest live-cast, Ron Moore mentioned that the 1/2-season sets don't have his podcast commentaries on them; they won't be included until the full-season release near Christmas.

Yeah, I'm not paying fricking Forty-some dollars for just half a season. I checked Amazon last month I think it was, and that was the price. I can wait until New Year's to get the whole set for season one, thankyouverymuch.

• Love 1

Stupid question but here goes: I can't get Starz but love the show. I have very good internet access, would pay by the episode if I could. Where can you go to see first run episodes? Legitimately?

They're available on iTunes, in the Google play store ( pretty sure), and on Amazon for streaming. You buy individual episodes or the whole (first half) season. If you mean the most recent episodes, they aren't available yet.

I didn't buy the first half, because I wanted to wait and buy the whole season. But I guess they will make more if they sell it as two sets instead of one big one. I will at least wait until Christmas, because I guess if they were going to release the whole season in one set, that would be the time to do it maybe.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but it's media-esque:

I get the Blu-rays solely for the special features; volume 2 of season 1 came out yesterday. The deleted scenes are alright. I was really hoping there'd be deleted scenes from the end of "Devil's Mark", either a voice over at the stones or Claire and Jamie kissing after she says "Take me home to Lallybroch". (The "previously" before the "Lallybroch" episode has them kissing at a different angle than "Devil's Mark" shows.) Alas, no. I really would like to know the writing, directing, and clock management decisions that were made in "Devil's Mark". But because of those very questions, I'm sure the viewers will never see any of that, if there were other scenes or shots that were cut from the end. Dammit.

I also think it's very telling that there are no deleted scenes from "Wentworth" or "Ransom a Man's Soul". I know, having read many articles, that a lot of things were left on the cutting room floor. One article suggested that Ron Moore even vetoed the director a couple times. I am absolutely fine with never needing to see those scenes or shots. I'm sure Sam appreciates that too. Kudos to Ron Moore for not giving into sensationalism, and for protecting the show and the actors. And maybe the viewers too. Sometimes what is not said or done reveals a person's character, in the best sense.

One special feature present is parts of the Block 2 table read of both cast and crew. It's very cute. It's great fun to see everyone's interactions in a relaxed setting. I like how they intentionally show Tobias Menzies giving hugs, as if to stress "Tobias is NOT Jack Randall." Fun viewing.

I like that they're releasing Volume 2 just now. It's like pacing us through Droughtlander so that we can make it until Season 2.

Edited by Dust Bunny
  • Love 2
I really would like to know the writing, directing, and clock management decisions that were made in "Devil's Mark". But because of those very questions, I'm sure the viewers will never see any of that, if there were other scenes or shots that were cut from the end. Dammit.

I'm curious--what do mean? Like the trial went on too long (that's what I thought) or that there was too much ambiguity about her decision at the stones? 

I also think it's very telling that there are no deleted scenes from "Wentworth" or "Ransom a Man's Soul". I know, having read many articles, that a lot of things were left on the cutting room floor. One article suggested that Ron Moore even vetoed the director a couple times. I am absolutely fine with never needing to see those scenes or shots. I'm sure Sam appreciates that too. Kudos to Ron Moore for not giving into sensationalism, and for protecting the show and the actors. And maybe the viewers too. Sometimes what is not said or done reveals a person's character, in the best sense.

Agreed. I can't imagine (nor want to) anything more than what they did show. 

I'm curious--what do mean? Like the trial went on too long (that's what I thought) or that there was too much ambiguity about her decision at the stones?

Yup, I think it was the podcast where Ron Moore said he liked stressing the trial; he thought it was dramatic, or something. But he had said in another interview somewhere that he didn't understand the relationship between Claire and Jamie. I'm sure he regrets saying that out loud. By stressing the trial, it limited the time for very important C & J scenes that are pivotal for their relationship. The podcast was done before there was fan reaction to the stones scene, so I'd be curious if he'd address it. He did say in one deleted scene that he made a mistake with a cut. But he's also demonstrated that he won't respond to some fan concerns, like too much 

Jack Randall

in season 2 in a Twitter Q & A.

There was also mention they had considered a voice-over at the stones. Out of all the times to NOT have one. I wished there was actually one done and that it would be included in the Blu-ray. We'll never know now. If there was, I'm guessing if we couldn't see it because Ron would surmise some fans would be pissed it wasn't included in the final cut. So sometimes veto power isn't the best thing in the world. YMMV, of course.

• Love 1
Yup, I think it was the podcast where Ron Moore said he liked stressing the trial; he thought it was dramatic, or something. But he had said in another interview somewhere that he didn't understand the relationship between Claire and Jamie. I'm sure he regrets saying that out loud.

Thanks for clarifying. I recall reading something about how he likes a good trial or something to that effect. Not understanding Claire and Jamie's relationship is head-scratching, though, since his wife is a fan and I'm sure he's read the books. Or he could ask Diana--she might have a sentence or eleventy gazillion to say on the subject. Oh well. 

That spoiler doesn't make me happy. But Ron's smart not to engage too much with fans because that could be disastrous--and I for one do not want off show drama to overshadow what's on screen. Then again I tend to avoid most of the behind-the-scenes stuff with TV shows because it takes away some of the magic for me. I like a few tidbits, but that's all. 

There was also mention they had considered a voice-over at the stones. Out of all the times to NOT have one.

Right? I'd trade every single VO in the series for one at the stones. Her choice made sense to me but it would have been nice to know some specific reasons why she stayed. Even a scene with Jamie asking her why she didn't go back would have worked for me. 

• Love 2

My favorite deleted scene was in Epi.9 The Reckoning is Collum and Jamie. It showed Collum's respect and affection for Jamie.

I longed for a scene underlining and clarifying that Collum wanted and considered Jamie as his successor.

I felt that the Season continued to minimize Jamie's position in the Clan. Sent to the stables to work and sleep.

I remembered the greetings that Ms.Fitz gave the returning Highlanders in Episode one.  I waited her "special" greeting for Jamie.................which did not come. Obviously, she knew him by name, telling "Jamie" to come along.But not a big welcome. As a non-book reader, at that point, I wasn't sure just who or what Jamie was in the Clan hierarchy.

I even liked the brawl scene that Jamie and Murtagh break up.  Murtagh says something about Jamie acting like a Laird.  Guess, I need to be happy that they didn't include the scene were Claire calls him a "stable boy".  

I really question why the Episode 9 Reckoning included that sappy scene between a 14 yr old leery ( misspell on purpose) and a 22 yr old man was include in an otherwise excellent episode. So many masterfully acted scenes cut to make room for it. 

Oh! Opportunities missed.

I really question why the Episode 9 Reckoning included that sappy scene between a 14 yr old leery ( misspell on purpose) and a 22 yr old man was include in an otherwise excellent episode.

Seems like it was part of the motivation for her to set up Claire to get arrested for witchcraft.

Leery is 14? WTH was Jamie doing kissing a 14 year old? I thought she was at least 16, which isn't much better. Did they state her age or is this from the books?

Leery is 14? WTH was Jamie doing kissing a 14 year old?

Okay fine . . . make me go re-watch "The Way Out" again.  In it Jamie says he spent a year at the castle when he was 16.  Housebeast, I mean Leery, I mean Laoghaire tells Jamie she remembers him from then and he says "Ye couldna have been more than 7 or 8 yourself."  So Hosebeast is, 8 or 9 years younger than Jamie.  If Jamie is 23 (isn't that what he said in "Lallybroch"?) then she is 14 or 15.  Oh shit.  I really thought she was 16.  Oh well, different times and all that.  I'm reading James Michener's "Texas" and in the 17th century portion a father is very concerned about finding a suitable husband for his 14-year-old daughter.

For the record, Jamie did NOT kiss her. He touched her boob (he's only human, ye ken) but he pulled back from her upthrust lips (the hussy!)

I'm feeling a bit annoyed right now because I haven't bought the second half of the season yet (so I can't check the Lallybroch episode.)  I bought the first half of the season on iTunes.  I guess I'll do that again.  But I think you get more goodies on the Blue-ray version and I don't have a Blue-ray player, so that annoys me.  I wonder if Blue-ray manufacturers pay content creators to puts extra goodies in the Blue-ray version?  It would be a good strategy to push people to upgrade to the new technology.  If that is going on,  don't like it.  I understand it.  But I don't like it.

Edited by WatchrTina

I really liked the extended episode for "The Reckoning." I liked the scene with Colum and the one with Murtaugh. I even liked the scene with Gellis as the episode includes the very end of the scene (which isn't in the clip I saw online) where Jamie tells her to mind her own business.

FWIW when Claire calls him a stable boy Jamie immediately corrects her and states that he is the Laird of Lallybroch. Claire then apologizes. I think that scene also shows Jamie in a position of strength. He corrects Claire when she's wrong and she spologizes. Of course she's just upset because she doesn't want him to go to the duel but he still doesn't just take it.

Edited by bearcatfan
  • Love 1

Didn't Claire see Jamie kissing Leerrrry after he took her beating? Maybe not that episode but the next one?

Oh.  Right.  He did.  He was still single then.  I forgot.  Or rather I blocked it from my memory.

• Love 1
FWIW when Claire calls him a stable boy Jamie immediately corrects her and states that he is the Laird of Lallybroch. Claire then apologizes. I think that scene also shows Jamie in a position of strength. He corrects Claire when she's wrong and she spologizes. Of course she's just upset because she doesn't want him to go to the duel but he still doesn't just take it.

I wish they kept that scene, I thought it was a good one because of what you stated. It also explained a little better why Jamie was chosen as second. Without that scene I thought Jamie was chosen as second because 1) Sandringham wanted an excuse to keep be around him a bit more because of his "fondness" for Jamie 2) He wanted to tick off Claire and show her who really had the power. That he was laird didn't even enter my mind at that point. 

Okay fine . . . make me go re-watch "The Way Out" again.

Thank you for your sacrifice. ;)

Oh.  Right.  He did.  He was still single then.  I forgot.  Or rather I blocked it from my memory.

Yeah, that was the kiss I was referring to, not Leery offering herself to Jamie by the burn. Rather unheroic of him but that's okay because it balances him out a bit and drives home that he makes bone-headed decisions sometimes. I also took it that he was drunk at the time. 

• Love 1

I wish they kept the scene in The Reckoning where Jamie and Claire return to Castle Leoch where it shows just how pissed she is at him "well, walk a little faster!"  I always thought it was strange that they just burst into the great hall like they did.  It would have made more sense to me to see what transpired in the hallway just before that.  

• Love 3

Great observations on the deleted scenes,  posters. :)   Do any of us think that OL has created its own problem?

They compiled such a talented ensemble of actors and writers etc..Then they tried/try to fit a multi-layered book into single seasons.

I think, if they want to rise to classic show level, that they must include some of these type of  moving deleted scenes.

I couldn't recommend any scenes be cut (other than Leery's  near __ for WatchrTina___ kiss). 

I guess, my long winded question is ,,,What scenes would you cut to make room for your favorite deleted scene?

• Love 3

WatchrTina  posted:  " That's easy.  Speed up the witch trial to leave more time to clarify Claire's decision at the stones (which isn't a deleted scene but should have been.) "   

Totally agree.  As a non-book reader at the time, I was left with many questions about the stones scene. As a matter of fact, as the camera focused on the fire pit, I thought how could that woman leave him.  I am NOT watching this show anymore. 

Grashka posted: ".....cutting out most of Claire singing Boogie Woogie Sassenach and half of rape/torture scenes...."

I agree with cutting some of the singing, although I did enjoy it but for the torture scene I wanted more. Settle down now..... I luv Jamie but the vision of him crawling on the floor left me wondering just what went on after the initial rape.  Just a dialogue, as in the book, after the fact explanation. Maybe that will come in Season 2 but I doubt it.  

My thought is that all these scenes were fine but the decision to make one season per book was short sighted.  But, I am very grateful that Sony and Starz picked up the project and funded the 1st Season so well.  The Season 1 actually stands alone as a gloriously beautiful movie. 

• Love 1

You know, after delving in to the books, I'm kinda impressed at how well they adapted them, in the end. Granted, Claire's decision at the stones was a huge turning point and it shouldn't have been left ambiguous as to why she stayed. However, these books are long and lots and lots and lots of stuff happen in them, I'm surprised how much they managed to get done in the first place. It only gets worse as the books progress and with less episodes, I would expect more to be cut from the books in upcoming seasons. I just hope they learned sufficiently from this first season.

• Love 2
I guess, my long winded question is ,,,What scenes would you cut to make room for your favorite deleted scene?

I agree with all the suggestions posted thus far. I'd also like to see less Frank. I could have done without most of Both Sides now. Since I haven't read the books I'm assuming Claire goes back at one point and its during that episode that Frank could tell her he searched high and low and blah blah blah. 

I agree with cutting some of the singing, although I did enjoy it but for the torture scene I wanted more. Settle down now..... I luv Jamie but the vision of him crawling on the floor left me wondering just what went on after the initial rape.  Just a dialogue, as in the book, after the fact explanation. Maybe that will come in Season 2 but I doubt it.

I get what you're saying. I would have liked to have seen more of Jamie telling Claire what happened (as opposed to showing) if only because I thought the scene of pulling Jamie out of the darkness was so beautifully acted by both Sam and Cait. But I can also see how they would risk grinding the pacing to a halt by not interspersing a ton of dialogue with some "action". But I think it could have been done with these two actors--ratcheting up the tension with minimal dialogue and having the two of them express the emotions by showing them. Both Cait and Sam are so good at this. 

Do any of us think that OL has created its own problem?

They compiled such a talented ensemble of actors and writers etc..Then they tried/try to fit a multi-layered book into single seasons.

Yes. I think they also misstepped by adding things that weren't part of the book (Frank's POV) and then focusing on a few things for too long (The Search episode especially). 

The Season 1 actually stands alone as a gloriously beautiful movie.

ITA. I've been thoroughly enjoying rewatching (and rewatching) because even though there are parts I don't like, some I find dead boring, and others that irritate me, overall it's really well done. A lot of my critiques are really just nit picks and personal preferences. Overall the more I watch, the more I love what they've done here--I may even go back and try to read the book again. 

• Love 1

The two deleted scenes that I liked the most were Claire's memory of waking up w/ Jamie at Lallybroch and Murtaugh's memory (I think it was a memory) of telling Jamie about his love for Ellen.  Both of these scenes were cut from The Search I believe, and could have easily been included by cutting some of the Boogie Woogie nonsense. Of course, then RM & Co. could not congratulate themselves on having done an episode that was all about Jamie, but did not include one glimpse of Jamie. (insert sarcastic tone)

Also, there was a few seconds in The Reckoning that showed us Jamie looking at the same flogging post where he was flogged by BJR.  It lasted no more than 10-15 seconds and they could have cut some of either of the Leery scenes to include it.  I always thought it was important that we see how much courage it took for Jamie to walk past that post, knowing what fate awaited him if he were captured, in order to rescue Claire.

• Love 3

DittyDotDot posted: " I just hope they learned sufficiently from this first season. ".

Yes, they learned not to include deleted scenes on the DVD next year.  lol

chocolatetruffle posted: " I always thought it was important that we see how much courage it took for Jamie to walk past that post, knowing what fate awaited him if he were captured, in order to rescue Claire. "

Agree, Claire herself should know but once again maybe we are to assume

that as they walked the last stretch to Lallybroch and talked about Jenny they also discussed this topic.

Let me add that the Blu Ray DVDs give a beautiful picture on my LED TV and the sound seems a little clearer.  

• Love 3

Loved Murtagh standing up to Dougal in that deleted wedding scene.  I haven't bought the DVD's yet but I think i better get on it so I can watch some of those deleted scenes.  Sure wish they had kept that part of the scene with Jamie, Murtagh,Douglal and Ned in. 

I ordered the Target Black Friday $10 special.  It turned out to be only the first half of season one so that's a bit disappointing, but for the price I'll keep it.  It also claims to have some Target exclusive bonus features on it.

My husband got me that for Christmas along with other Outlander trinkets. (He's a keeper!)  I remember Diana complaining about how young they made him look. There's also a picture of Geillis using a pestle and it kinda looks like she has a penis in her hands. That made the rounds when it came out. :)

????????

Wot? Wot????? Complete first season can only be gotten from third party sellers on Anazon!!! So that means S&H! Gah! Buuut it's  factory sealed and I get my guidies so there's that, at least. But I the words of Jem: "BLEAGH!!!"