Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander for Posterity: DVDs, CDs, and Downloads

theschnauzers
  • Start Topic

I've only just now discovered the Outlander podcasts, which I find very interesting.  Problem is, by the time I can get to my computer, I've already watched an episode twice, and I'm not up for syncing the podcast with the TV (which I DVR).  But you don't get the full effect if you're listening to RDM talk without seeing what he's watching. I really hope S2 has the option of listening to the podcast during playback of the episode.  My favorite series DVD set (ST:Enterprise) has this feature, and the podcasts were usually done by the director or some other production person (unlike some other sets I have where it's the very drunk actors giggling over inside jokes).  I love learning about the episodes, how this or that camera effect worked and why they used it; what they had to cut out; how they got a particular special effect; or what they were trying to convey in a scene.  I would love to have that overlaying commentary from this season., because the insights on how they approach things, or how they adapt the book to work for the series are really interesting.    

Interesting. I'm watching my ULTIMATE Collectors' Edition and watching the special features, and, I willna lie, I'm beyond thrilled that we got lotsa of Sam when talking aboot this show. Would have liked to have seen more of Cait. Got a wee bit of Mrs. Fitz. And no Tobias. That's what I found interesting.  

In the Casting feature, I rolled my eyes, HARD, when Diana said she just "KNEW" Sam was Jamie when she saw his tape. Wasn't she quoted, and hasn't she embarassed Sam, at the panels, by saying the opposite? Or, was that her opinon before she saw him?

Another that had me raising my eyebrow, as in really, (beause I've never come across anyone who had read the buiks thought so, was Maril's saying how "Frank was loved by so many" that they knew they had to get the casting right. Really? Really? Frank was LOVED by many? We barely got enough of him, and what I did read, I dinna like or care fer. But, that's just me.

Oh, but I did swoon of all those scenes of Jamie from season one, and the stills. Well, EXCEPT for his hair in the first half of The Wedding. SHUDDER. That was a TRAGEDY.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I rolled my eyes, HARD, when Diana said she just "KNEW" Sam was Jamie when she saw his tape. Wasn't she quoted, and hasn't she embarassed Sam, at the panels, by saying the opposite? Or, was that her opinon before she saw him?

The story, as I recollect it, was that she was called to say "We found him!" and she took the call while traveling in a car (someone else was driving.)  So she went to IMDb on her smart phone to look up his photos and saw all those very-GQ, very "European Male Model" photos of him -- most of them blonde, one of them a brunette (from when he was playing Batman/Bruce Wayne in that touring show) -- and she declared him "grotesque."  When she got home she was sent the video of his audition and then she understood what everyone else had seen and immediately got on board the We-Love-Sam train.  But she LOVES trotting that story out and is particularly fond of the "grotesque" adjective, which she has tried to define in a manner different than its generally understood meaning -- claiming she wasn't calling him "ugly".  Sigh.  I'm a big fan of Diana's work and I'd love to meet her in real life or to get to be in the audience when she speaks so I guess I have to take the bitter with the sweet, but I do hope she never tells that story again.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3
(edited)

Or compliments his ass in public.  

She either doesn't have a filter at all or her filter is just different from most people's.  

More on topic: I'm contemplating taking my Outlander flask to Las Vegas with me.  I'm going to have to sit through some boring business-related social occasions and I might need more sustenance than is available at the functions. 

Edited by toolazy
  • Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

The story, as I recollect it, was that she was called to say "We found him!" and she took the call while traveling in a car (someone else was driving.)  So she went to IMDb on her smart phone to look up his photos and saw all those very-GQ, very "European Male Model" photos of him -- most of them blonde, one of them a brunette (from when he was playing Batman/Bruce Wayne in that touring show) -- and she declared him "grotesque."  When she got home she was sent the video of his audition and then she understood what everyone else had seen and immediately got on board the We-Love-Sam train.  But she LOVES trotting that story out and is particularly fond of the "grotesque" adjective, which she has tried to define in a manner different than its generally understood meaning -- claiming she wasn't calling him "ugly".  Sigh.  I'm a big fan of Diana's work and I'd love to meet her in real life or to get to be in the audience when she speaks so I guess I have to take the bitter with the sweet, but I do hope she never tells that story again.

Diana has posted the explanation on her FB, but you may have to go back 2 or 3 years to find it. She also told the story in the ComicCon Outlander panel from two years ago, and that's available online as well (I believe Starz posted that onlive and it may be a season 1 DVD extra as well IIRC. I don't believe the audition tape has ever made it online though. And the driver in that story was her husband -- the video was emailed to her in the car, but she couldn't open the file until she got home. And Diana said it only took her about five seconds to realize Jamie had come to life.

Edited by theschnauzers
(edited)

Putting on my hypocrite hat:

This is why I hate deleted scenes; yet I continue to watch.  There were at least two, that showed that Colum was behind Claire and Geilles being brought forth for the witch trial and that he told Ned not to go to try and save Claire. He could go after she was "burnt." Now I can't remember if in the buik it was made more clear that Colum was behind it all or not, or if Moore wanted to make it clear, that yes, Colum was behind it all, and Claire deserved her fate for "conspiring" with Geilles. The two scenes were really verra guid, but I wonder the reason why they truly were cut was not because of time, but that they clearly painted Colum as a bad guy, and not left it ambiguous without them. 

Then again there are those scenes like the one where Jamie is going to the Duke of Sandringham, that I wish had been shown. 

And when I watch and hear that Moore said he'd do the show as "close to the books as possible" and then doesn't, when we I can see where he could have, I just can't help but give him the side-eye.

But it's wonderful to see the cast together and how much they like each other. And what a blast they have when they do table readings.

I did catch an error that was driving me nuts, though. And this is why I think they shouldn't divide a show in two volumes.  For the gag reel and deleted scenes, my bluray says "See disc 2" except, no. It's not disc 2, but disc 4. So for those who haven't gotten this yet, but may decide to get the Ultimate Collectors' edition, dinna fash yerself, if those features are not on disc 2! Even Moore says thank you or this ends the whatever for "season one, volume two.  See you next season." Thouh I did want and hope there were extended scenes for "Lallybroch." I'm sooooo glad there weren't any for "Wentworth Prison" though. Though I was hoping there would have been some for "To Ransom a Man's Soul," Like there were two for "The Search."

Maybe now that season two and hopefully, all future seasons won't be split, we'll just get one volume.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
10 minutes ago, morgan said:

Ok now I feel the need to buy a set.  What set is best to buy?  Is there any difference?

I think the difference between the two is, that the Ultimate edition comes with Jamie's whisky flask, a bunch of nice pictues, etc. and it's one volume, whereas the other, season one, volume one, and volume two, were released separately; I think they all have the same special features in the blu ray. And price, of course. I got mine from a third party seller, but it was still factory sealed, though described as "used." Because it isn't used; It was as if I got it from Sony via Amazon directly, and not a third party seller.

• Love 1

I got mine a few months ago from Best Buy - they had a special so I got it for $50.  I don't remember a deleted scene with Colum but there were a lot of them and I could have just forgotten. 

1 hour ago, toolazy said:

I got mine a few months ago from Best Buy - they had a special so I got it for $50.  I don't remember a deleted scene with Colum but there were a lot of them and I could have just forgotten. 

The two related to "The Devil's Mark" is something like "She'll pay the price" and I can't remember the name of the other, but they're right after each other. The second has a bloodied Ned returning, telling Colum Claire escaped and Geilles being taken to the pyre to burn.

36 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The two related to "The Devil's Mark" is something like "She'll pay the price" and I can't remember the name of the other, but they're right after each other. The second has a bloodied Ned returning, telling Colum Claire escaped and Geilles being taken to the pyre to burn.

Thanks - I'll check it out when I get home. (I'm currently, and lamentably, traveling on business.)

1 hour ago, toolazy said:

Amazon (US) is still telling me that there isn't a release date yet. 

They're showing that to me as well. However, for some reason the Canadian Amazon site is such things. "This has happened before, and will happen again." They do have a release date now of the season 2 OTS (Original Television Soundtrack) from Bear (late October) so the November 1st date seems in the ballpark.

On 9/5/2016 at 2:40 PM, theschnauzers said:

Amazon sent out notices this a.m. that the release date for the season 2 Outlander blu-ray and DVDs sets is in fact November 1st.

I haven't received any notices and my order hasn't been updated but I'm not too worried about it. 

Bumping this up to ask if anyone here bought season three? On Blu-ray? And if so, how many discs are there? When I go to Amazon-all it states is 1 disc. No mention of any special features. And the reviews are useless. Like one who said disc 2 was missing an episode-where Claire tells Brianna about Jaime, when she meets Roger. But that happened in Season Two.

But when I read articles that announced when it was being released, it stated five discs, including a gag reel.

Can anyone confirm one way or another?

ETA- Never mind. I see the Collectors Edition has the five discs. But it’s still weird that the non-collectors has only one disc. Season Two which I have on Blu-ray has five discs. But my point still stands-why the lack of information about the discs? Even Target has no information about it.???

So xfinity locks down season 5 by limiting it to xfinity dvr only.  Unlike HBOMax you can not access Starz through the Starz app if your provider is xfinity.  So maybe you just buy the season on Amazon Prime.  But no you can buy you can purchase it one painful episode at a time.  Maybe just get the BluRay with digital.  Oh, no digital copy with DVDs on season 5?  Are they trying to make this covid delay as painful as possible?