Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

54 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Lots of people don’t have health insurance, therefor hurting from various ailments.  I’m sure a shot or two of booze would help.  Who knows what some people go through.   Then, there is the No job situation.

Addiction really is a terrible disease that takes from all aspects, isn't it.

• Like 9
20 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I recently had spine surgery to the sum of $56,000.  Thank God we have two insurances.  I pity people that have none and have to suffer from pain everyday.  I can’t imagine.  Plus, they can’t even get meds.

• Sad 5
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Pain meds are no joke. I was seriously unhappy they prescribed my dad a super low dose of Oxy. That drug has ruined so many lives. There is a special place in hell for the people involved with promoting it.

There are other drugs besides Oxy that are given right after surgery.  Sorry to hear about your Dad.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

All drugs are dangerous, even over the counter.  My girlfriends Mother died of liver failure.  She took eight Tylenol tablets everyday for arthritis.  I was taking Advil after having tooth extractions.  Made me so nauseous, I stopped.  They all suck.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
On 8/20/2023 at 11:45 AM, oliviabenson said:

Panhandling! I can’t even wait for the bus in peace. Never mind a McDonald’s! Grown men begging a female for $! No I don’t have $ for you. I barely have enough $ for me. 

I try not to become angry about panhandlers.   I don't think anybody truly wants to panhandle.   It's a sign that something has gone terribly wrong in the life of the person in question. 

BUT ...

In this neck of the woods, we have grifter panhandlers pretending to be buskers.   They set up in supermarket/shopping center parking lots and "play" sad songs on electric violins with speakers that can be heard for a quarter mile in every direction.  They have the open violin case on the ground for donations, with cardboard signs propped up to tell their sob stories. 

The thing is, they're not really playing the violin.   Because they don't know how.   The songs are prerecorded and play through the speaker.   They panhandler props the violin beneath their chin and goes through the motions with the bow, bending this way and that.   They're mimes with a soundtrack.  Some days you can find them at 2-3 different shopping centers in the area.   To those unfamiliar with this grift, it must seem amazing to find such a concentration of classically trained, highly talented yet down-and-out violinists (all apparently recent immigrants) within a few square miles of each other.

This next grifter is confronted by an actual violinist.   I almost feel sorry for the guy. 

• Mind Blown 4
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 1

We have some in our area.  There’s a woman who covers herself in a blanket and sits outside of a Starbucks and there’s also a guy with a sign saying he’s a war vet.  Not sure if he really is one or is just looking for pity.  

• Like 4
11 hours ago, kristen111 said:

All drugs are dangerous, even over the counter.  My girlfriends Mother died of liver failure.  She took eight Tylenol tablets everyday for arthritis.  I was taking Advil after having tooth extractions.  Made me so nauseous, I stopped.  They all suck.

I have known about the dangers of Tylenol/acetaminophen since I was a child and my mother's cousin died from liver failure due in part to him taking the drug.  I remain perplexed that it is still available over the counter for anyone to buy large quantities.  Tylenol is one of those drugs where there is a known hard limit for daily intake, 4 grams for a healthy adult, anything more than that causes liver damage.  And it's long been advertised as the "safe" pain reliever/fever reducer over aspirin and NSAIDs.  It may not thin your blood or damage your heart or exacerbate ulcers, but it does damage the liver if too much is taken and liver damage is not as immediately noticeable as stomach problems.    

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, millennium said:

I try not to become angry about panhandlers.   I don't think anybody truly wants to panhandle.   It's a sign that something has gone terribly wrong in the life of the person in question. 

BUT ...

In this neck of the woods, we have grifter panhandlers pretending to be buskers.   They set up in supermarket/shopping center parking lots and "play" sad songs on electric violins with speakers that can be heard for a quarter mile in every direction.  They have the open violin case on the ground for donations, with cardboard signs propped up to tell their sob stories. 

The thing is, they're not really playing the violin.   Because they don't know how.   The songs are prerecorded and play through the speaker.   They panhandler props the violin beneath their chin and goes through the motions with the bow, bending this way and that.   They're mimes with a soundtrack.  Some days you can find them at 2-3 different shopping centers in the area.   To those unfamiliar with this grift, it must seem amazing to find such a concentration of classically trained, highly talented yet down-and-out violinists (all apparently recent immigrants) within a few square miles of each other.

This next grifter is confronted by an actual violinist.   I almost feel sorry for the guy. 

Walk around Times Square or inside the train stations. So many fake musicians lolz.

16 minutes ago, PRgal said:

We have some in our area.  There’s a woman who covers herself in a blanket and sits outside of a Starbucks and there’s also a guy with a sign saying he’s a war vet.  Not sure if he really is one or is just looking for pity.  

There are places that help vets. Some people don't want help but money.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

From working in customer service:

People who send the same email 5-6 times because they have no patience in waiting for a reply and think their matter is of the highest priority to the company. (Never mind the hundreds of emails in front of you.) 

People who demand a supervisor and refuse to get off the phone until one is available, thus tying up the lines for no reason other than they’re being a massive Karen or Kevin.

People who threaten legal action or going to the media for things they don’t like to hear. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1

Pain meds are no joke. I was seriously unhappy they prescribed my dad a super low dose of Oxy. That drug has ruined so many lives. There is a special place in hell for the people involved with promoting it.

I was given Oxycontin after surgery and although it did work, it also made me feel incredibly creepy (hard to describe but like my skin wanted to crawl off my body) so I stopped taking it after two days and switched to Advil. The next surgery I asked for vicodin, which surprised my doctor as its not commonly prescribed anymore but they gave it to me - it also worked for pain relief, but again, after a couple of days I stopped taking it and switched to Advil. I will *never* take Tylenol because it eats your liver as others here have pointed out. Frankly I don't think any drug "ruins lives"; I think people are naturally predisposed to enjoy being pain free and/or high and keep taking drugs that are available as long as they are available if they have an addictive personality. Peeve: The assumption now that you will abuse the meds you are given, so my friend who is wheelchair bound and in fairly constant pain from spasticity has to see his doctor every single month for a refill on his meds, even though he is extremely circumspect about only taking them as absolutely necessary. So the doctor's office gets another Medicare payment for an office visit to rubber stamp his prescription: your tax dollars ar work!

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Peeve: The assumption now that you will abuse the meds you are given, so my friend who is wheelchair bound and in fairly constant pain from spasticity has to see his doctor every single month for a refill on his meds, even though he is extremely circumspect about only taking them as absolutely necessary. So the doctor's office gets another Medicare payment for an office visit to rubber stamp his prescription: your tax dollars ar work!

I used to be a pharmacy technician back before the crackdown on prescribing began.  I worked in three different states plus worked with pharmacists who had previously worked in other states.  Things were bad in different areas before the federal government interfered and the overcorrection began.  But, there were a lot of bad doctors who were prescribing way too much for patients under the flimsiest of circumstances.  And unscrupulous middle managers working for the various pharmacy chains who pressured pharmacists to fill these prescriptions.  It does suck for the patients who have legitimate needs.  

• Like 6
6 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Walk around Times Square or inside the train stations. So many fake musicians lolz.

Last time I was in NYC, I walked from Grand Central to the Plaza and along the way saw three panhandlers at different locations, all with the same story, word-for-word, on their cardboard signs. 

Edited by millennium
  • LOL 3
9 hours ago, nokat said:

Some people don't want help but money.

Reminds me of another New York experience from many years ago.   One of my first visits there, on business.   I was returning to catch my train when a dissipated-looking man partially blocked the doorway at Grand Central.  "I'm hungry," he said, holding out a styrofoam cup. 

You're always told, Don't give them money, they'll just spend it on drugs or booze.   So I pointed to the Sabrett cart by the door and offered to buy him a hot dog.  He shook his head. "I want pizza."  We went inside and I got him a slice.

Moral of the story: beggars can be choosers.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 5
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I used to be a pharmacy technician back before the crackdown on prescribing began.  I worked in three different states plus worked with pharmacists who had previously worked in other states.  Things were bad in different areas before the federal government interfered and the overcorrection began.  But, there were a lot of bad doctors who were prescribing way too much for patients under the flimsiest of circumstances.  And unscrupulous middle managers working for the various pharmacy chains who pressured pharmacists to fill these prescriptions.  It does suck for the patients who have legitimate needs.  

After my husband had surgery, they gave him 120 Vicodin to take home.  He took one and didn’t like the feeling, so we took the 119 left and brought them to the Police Station and put them in a big bin.  People thought we were nuts.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 2
44 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

After my husband had surgery, they gave him 120 Vicodin to take home.  He took one and didn’t like the feeling, so we took the 119 left and brought them to the Police Station and put them in a big bin.  People thought we were nuts.

I had hydrocodone, but was encouraged to use ice and tylenol, which I did.  It's so easy to get addicted. I actually was afraid I'd get stolen from as I walked home with a pharmacy bag. Nope, nothing addictive in this bag.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
15 hours ago, kristen111 said:

That was good of you to do. After my back surgeries, the painkiller Rx's I got were useless. All they seem to do was cause constipation. So I dumped them in the garbage & used Advil. In my experience, the only good stuff was what I was given while staying in the hospital.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

That was good of you to do. After my back surgeries, the painkiller Rx's I got were useless. All they seem to do was cause constipation. So I dumped them in the garbage & used Advil. In my experience, the only good stuff was what I was given while staying in the hospital.

I'm allergic to codeine so when I've needed pain meds in the past (after my C section) they always give me demerol.  I liked it a little too much so I dumped it and went back to Advil. And talk about constipation!? It was then that I discovered the wonder that is suppositories.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, isalicat said:

I stopped taking it and switched to Advil. I will *never* take Tylenol because it eats your liver as others here have pointed out.

Pick your poison and pick your vital organ.

would you like to ruin your kidneys or your liver while trying to battle pain?-bad-liver-kidneys

Edit - I will take anything further to the Health & Wellness thread.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 1

Apologies in advance to pumpkin spice fans but this is my peeve du jour!

I am peeving because the annual over abundance of commercials and products that are themed thusly has begun.  All over the TV and in the stores and coffee shops - everywhere you turn for the next two  months.

It would be less peevish to me though if I  didn't have a number of family and friends who are fanatics.  The annual onslaught of them linking picture of themselves drinking pumpkin spice lattes, lighting pumpkin spice candles, buying pumpkin spiced god knows what and on and on until they calm down and go into Christmas is coming mode has started.

It's like a pumpkin spice cult.

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 6
  • LOL 5
27 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Apologies in advance to pumpkin spice fans but this is my peeve du jour!

I am peeving because the annual over abundance of commercials and products that are themed thusly has begun.  All over the TV and in the stores and coffee shops - everywhere you turn for the next two  months.

It would be less peevish to me though if I  didn't have a number of family and friends who are fanatics.  The annual onslaught of them linking picture of themselves drinking pumpkin spice lattes, lighting pumpkin spice candles, buying pumpkin spiced god knows what and on and on until they calm down and go into Christmas is coming mode has started.

It's like a pumpkin spice cult.

For the record, I mostly agree, but I love this meme, lol!

pumpking spice meme.png

• Like 2
  • LOL 10

Speaking of pumpkins, I get ONE PSL a year.  And it's heavily modified.  Basically, it's a latte with the topping.  I don't even get syrup.  At least I don't anymore.  My body can't handle all that sweetness.  It's funny, I have a sweet tooth, but it's all from fruit (unless it's ice cream/gelato/froyo).  Even the cookies I make are sweetened with fruit.

Peeve (sorta):  Instacart does it again.  My shopper swapped my order with another person's.  Good thing I was able to get a hold of him through customer support and he's bringing back the order (he just left with the incorrect order to take to the other person).

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Speaking of pumpkins, I get ONE PSL a year.  And it's heavily modified.  Basically, it's a latte with the topping.  I don't even get syrup.  At least I don't anymore.  My body can't handle all that sweetness.  It's funny, I have a sweet tooth, but it's all from fruit (unless it's ice cream/gelato/froyo).  Even the cookies I make are sweetened with fruit.

Peeve (sorta):  Instacart does it again.  My shopper swapped my order with another person's.  Good thing I was able to get a hold of him through customer support and he's bringing back the order (he just left with the incorrect order to take to the other person).

I have two packages of cream cheese and chocolate. I feel like a golden girl.

• Like 3

Abstract metal sculptures, especially large ones erected in public spaces where passersby are forced to look at them for decades to come.   I think they are pretentious, ugly, and aesthetically tyrannical because they impose the artistic tastes of one or a small group of people upon the whole populace.  They strike me as oversized manifestations of corporate art, no different than soulless framed images adorning the lobbies and hallways of offices the world over. 

I hate them.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

My peeve of the day, and I apologize to those who like to talk, talk, talk in basically monologues.

My neighbor would call me almost daily and talk my ear off while I was trying to work. If I met her outside my house, I'd be backing away trying to end the conversation and she would follow. You know how you give clues about ending a conversation? It did not work.

Well, now I have another someone who I will just keep saying "yes, I know" to. The money I should be making as a therapist.

Edited by nokat
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1
4 minutes ago, nokat said:

My peeve of the day, and I apologize to those who like to talk, talk, talk in basically monologues.

My neighbor would call me almost daily and talk my ear off while I was trying to work. If I met her outside my house, I'd be backing away trying to end the conversation and she would follow. You know how you give clues about ending a conversation? It did not work.

Well, now I have another someone who I will just keep saying "yes, I know" to. The money I should be making as a therapist.

I had a boyfriend like that once. Even after I had broken up with him, he would still call and natter on and on. I used to put the phone down and wander off, fix a snack, watch some tv, play with my dog and come back and he would still be going strong. I would just say "Uh huh" and wander off again. I don't really know if he ever stopped. He could still be out there somewhere babbling on.

• LOL 16
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I had a boyfriend like that once. Even after I had broken up with him, he would still call and natter on and on. I used to put the phone down and wander off, fix a snack, watch some tv, play with my dog and come back and he would still be going strong. I would just say "Uh huh" and wander off again. I don't really know if he ever stopped. He could still be out there somewhere babbling on.

You had me laughing so hard. I could create a recording of me saying "uh huh"  for several hours.  I do blather on in forums here, but it's easy to ignore me.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I’m over pumpkin spice anything… lolz

Trader Joe’s has everything pumpkin flavored lol.

I miss Trader Joe's, and it is pumpkin spice everywhere there this time of year. 

• Like 2

I haven't been in a Trader Joe's for almost 20 years!  Sadly there isn't one in the whole state of MT.  :(  I'd tolerate their pumpkin spice any day to be able to shop there again! Closest one is in Spokane WA 220 miles one way a bit far for grocery shopping... :((

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Love 3

Peeve:  Being shamed by other moms just for seeking advice.  I asked a group of moms on whether I should look into speech therapy/theatre class for my son since he's still speaking with my parents' accent for some words.  There are certain sounds that are near universal for English-speaking children his age (e.g. "th" and maybe "v") but he can't seem to say "l" unless it's at the beginning of a word.  For example, "ball" is "baw" and "apple" is "appoe."  He's been in a school type setting for two years - half days for preschool when he was three and full day Junior Kindergarten (JK) last year.  Could masking throughout preschool and half of JK have contributed to this?  I've also asked my parents to exclusively speak Cantonese to him so he would hear their accents less.  They already know that my husband and I are the ones who read to/with (yes, he's a pretty good reader for his age) him.  

• Hugs 4
4 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Peeve:  Being shamed by other moms just for seeking advice.  I asked a group of moms on whether I should look into speech therapy/theatre class for my son since he's still speaking with my parents' accent for some words.  There are certain sounds that are near universal for English-speaking children his age (e.g. "th" and maybe "v") but he can't seem to say "l" unless it's at the beginning of a word.  For example, "ball" is "baw" and "apple" is "appoe."  He's been in a school type setting for two years - half days for preschool when he was three and full day Junior Kindergarten (JK) last year.  Could masking throughout preschool and half of JK have contributed to this?  I've also asked my parents to exclusively speak Cantonese to him so he would hear their accents less.  They already know that my husband and I are the ones who read to/with (yes, he's a pretty good reader for his age) him.  

I think that sounds pretty normal . I don't completely understand your worry here? You want him to sound a certain way?

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, nokat said:

I think that sounds pretty normal . I don't completely understand your worry here? You want him to sound a certain way?

Like me or my husband.  Basically “standard (Anglophone) Canadian.”  I wouldn’t be so concerned (or concerned at all) if I was an immigrant myself who has a Hong Kong accent.  I feel like it makes it sound as if we, the parents, are a bit neglectful. 

7 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Like me or my husband.  Basically “standard (Anglophone) Canadian.”  I wouldn’t be so concerned (or concerned at all) if I was an immigrant myself who has a Hong Kong accent.  I feel like it makes it sound as if we, the parents, are a bit neglectful. 

You are worried about very possible effects on his life. I don't want to say the word, but it is there. As you have written, even within your culture.

39 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Peeve:  Being shamed by other moms just for seeking advice.  I asked a group of moms on whether I should look into speech therapy/theatre class for my son since he's still speaking with my parents' accent for some words. 

You may well be right about where he's picking up his pronunciation but it's also possible he does have a slight speech impediment.  My granddaughter does and she has anglophone parents and is raised in an anglophone environment.   Seeking the advice of a qualified speech therapist is nothing to be shamed for.  If this is something he will outgrow they will be the ones best positioned to tell you that, not random moms somewhere.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

You may well be right about where he's picking up his pronunciation but it's also possible he does have a slight speech impediment.  My granddaughter does and she has anglophone parents and is raised in an anglophone environment.   Seeking the advice of a qualified speech therapist is nothing to be shamed for.  If this is something he will outgrow they will be the ones best positioned to tell you that, not random moms somewhere.

I guess I’ll wait and see what his new teacher says.  I may let her know when we do a classroom visit before the first day.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I have a cousin that spoke that way when he was little and most of his family has lived in America since 1878 (Irish Famine). Some kids just pronounce words that way.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

One of my children pronounced the word yellow as “lellow” and the other pronounced it and “yeyow”. They both outgrew it. That said, getting a speech evaluation is never wrong. You are always the best advocate for your children.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

The restaurant that introduced me to goat curry is now closed. Their food was reasonably priced and delicious. High rent prices??? 

Sigh.

Could be.  It also could be that the owner retired (one of the earliest "high end" dim sum places in Toronto shuttered because of this reason!  I LOVED that place!) or that they were forced out because developers wanted to turn the building into a condo or something.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 1
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

This sounds like something on SNL or a sitcom! The King of Babylon...he babbles on & on. 

• LOL 3

The way newlyweds (especially women! I haven’t seen many newly married men act like this but I’m sure they’re out there) have to announce every single milestone they have as a couple even weeks or months after their wedding is over. I know someone who got married last month and it seems like every post is “first year teaching as Mrs. (New Last Name)!” “Sitting here with my HUSBAND!” (And she is writing husband in all CAPS on multiple posts.) “Attending our first wedding as Mr. and Mrs. Last Name!” 

And not to mention the posts that are sure to follow for their one month, two month, three month, etc. “anniversaries.” I mean, sorry but making it to two months of marriage isn’t that impressive. Call me when you’ve been married for five, ten or 20 years or longer. I’ll be more impressed with that than I will be at your “two month anniversary.” 

At some point it’s just like “yes we get it you’re married.” I’d also like to send that memo to the woman I know who’s been married four years and still wore Mickey Mouse ears with a veil attached to them on her anniversary trip earlier this year. You are not the bride anymore; put it away and move on! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, PRgal said:

Being shamed by other moms just for seeking advice

Sorry to piggyback off of your post.  I'm don't have kids, but one time I was shamed by a group of them for saying I was tired.  Apparently if you don't have kids you're supposed to have a great sleep every night and not get stressed about anything.  I was called some pretty nasty names by people who call themselves the most "selfless, generous people in the world".

Try not to feel bad for getting shamed by the moms, they'll shame everyone.

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

The way newlyweds (especially women! I haven’t seen many newly married men act like this but I’m sure they’re out there) have to announce every single milestone they have as a couple even weeks or months after their wedding is over. I know someone who got married last month and it seems like every post is “first year teaching as Mrs. (New Last Name)!” “Sitting here with my HUSBAND!” (And she is writing husband in all CAPS on multiple posts.) “Attending our first wedding as Mr. and Mrs. Last Name!” 

And not to mention the posts that are sure to follow for their one month, two month, three month, etc. “anniversaries.” I mean, sorry but making it to two months of marriage isn’t that impressive. Call me when you’ve been married for five, ten or 20 years or longer. I’ll be more impressed with that than I will be at your “two month anniversary.” 

At some point it’s just like “yes we get it you’re married.” I’d also like to send that memo to the woman I know who’s been married four years and still wore Mickey Mouse ears with a veil attached to them on her anniversary trip earlier this year. You are not the bride anymore; put it away and move on! 

I find this type of woman incredibly sad--the ones clinging to the outdated notion that being a wife (then mother) is the pinnacle of success for a woman.  I'm in my early 40s, and one of my high school classmates got married for the first time last year.  Her Facebook posts are cringeworthy the way she talks about her new husband.  She's been a pharmacist for almost 20 years, regularly earning somewhere between $80,000-120,000 yearly in a low cost of living area.  But, this new husband trumps all that she has earned--"new hubby grilled me a steak!!" for example.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 4