Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, nokat said:

People have become so worried about using "she and I" correctly, they've now over corrected. "Mom baked cookies for Sally and I" instead of "Mom baked cookies for Sally and me." Subject vs object. I always want to say would you write "Mom baked cookies for I?"

If unsure, all they need to do is add another "for" & they'll immediately pick the correct pronoun (well, I hope they will 🥴).  "Mom baked cookies for Sally & (for) me". Or, do you think even this little trick won't help? This increasing trend of using I instead of me really bugs me.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

My ginormous peeve lately is movie remakes. Now they're going to remake Vertigo! Why? Jeez people can we get some originality? I'm sick to death of superhero movies. Keep your DC, MCU and your endless Batman prequels, sequels and re-imaginings and give movie goers something fresh and new.

• Like 5
  • Applause 11
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I think it rolls off my brain when it's an average Joe being interviewed about their house burning down, but these are people who write books and publish articles!

My pet peeve where this is concerned is newspaper articles that refer to children as kids.  Common usage, of course, but somehow it just sounds wrong to me when I read something like "there were three kids involved in a minor accident today at..." 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
3 hours ago, nokat said:

People have become so worried about using "she and I" correctly, they've now over corrected. "Mom baked cookies for Sally and I" instead of "Mom baked cookies for Sally and me." Subject vs object. I always want to say would you write "Mom baked cookies for I?"

This one drives me nuts.  Wasn't everyone taught this little trick to know whether to use "I" or "me"?  Even worse I've noticed people say "the house is Mom and I's" instead of "the house is Mom's and mine".  It just sounds so horrible, I don't know why they don't realize.

• Like 5
50 minutes ago, Suzn said:

This one drives me nuts.  Wasn't everyone taught this little trick to know whether to use "I" or "me"?  Even worse I've noticed people say "the house is Mom and I's" instead of "the house is Mom's and mine".  It just sounds so horrible, I don't know why they don't realize.

Wow..."the house is Mom and I's"? My teeth are starting to grind!!  

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2

What’s with people who block exists, especially at grocery stores?  Two youngish people (late 20s-early 30s) we’re chitchatting  right outside of the door.  I was in a hurry to get home, yet I could have run over them.  I can’t decide what’s worse:  those people or those who don’t watch where they’re going and nearly crash into your cart. 

• Fire 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

My pet peeve where this is concerned is newspaper articles that refer to children as kids.  Common usage, of course, but somehow it just sounds wrong to me when I read something like "there were three kids involved in a minor accident today at..." 

Growing up whenever I would use the word kids, which was a lot, my mom would respond that is kid was a baby goat.  

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3
16 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

It’s annoying as you get older not being able to eat like you used too.

I saw a special on Zinburger and at this point in my life all I could think of is how bloated my belly would feel after eating a nice big juicy hamburger and how it would feel coming out of my backside so to speak 

I know what you mean. Can’t eat a lot of things like I used to. Now I’m getting problems with eating.

• Sad 2
4 hours ago, nokat said:

I have a list of peeves today.

Reign for rein. How does this make sense to use one for the other? You use reins on a horse to control it. You don't reign it in.

Regime for regimen. You don't have a face cleansing regime.

Loose for lose. How did this one get started? I'll loose my mind if I read it one more time. o_O

Are you familiar with this thread? 

• LOL 3

Somewhat related - my peeve today is with parents who give their child a creative spelling of a common name and then lose their minds when someone does not intuitively know how to spell that name.  It's gotten to the point where we won't even enter a name like Mary without confirming how it is spelled first.  It feels a little silly saying "and how do you spell that" but it's better than having a parent get nasty because you didn't realize it  was Mairrie.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 7
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

I agree on the "for Susie and I" peeve, but it's been around for decades, as far as I have observed, not a recent thing.  It was even in our junior high grammar curriculum.  The one that I think is more recent is the possessive I, as noted above, as in "Mom and I's house."

I don't correct people on this, as it is insulting, unfortunately.  I just can't.  There's just no graceful way to do it without sounding like an ass and embarrassing the speaker. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 8
9 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I don't correct people on this, as it is insulting, unfortunately.  I just can't.  There's just no graceful way to do it without sounding like an ass and embarrassing the speaker. 

That's why it's great to have a place like this to vent! I'm sure most of us posting here don't make a habit of challenging others when these kinds of things crop up,  well I'm pretty sure 🙂.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Somewhat related - my peeve today is with parents who give their child a creative spelling of a common name and then lose their minds when someone does not intuitively know how to spell that name.  It's gotten to the point where we won't even enter a name like Mary without confirming how it is spelled first.  It feels a little silly saying "and how do you spell that" but it's better than having a parent get nasty because you didn't realize it  was Mairrie.

Or Sydnee?  Haha.  Though Barbra Streisand seemed to have worked out…

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, nokat said:

Reign for rein. How does this make sense to use one for the other? You use reins on a horse to control it. You don't reign it in.

Regime for regimen. You don't have a face cleansing regime.

Loose for lose. How did this one get started? I'll loose my mind if I read it one more time. o_O

I agree, and raise you one - people who type "then" when they mean "than". 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, luv2lurk said:

I agree, and raise you one - people who type "then" when they mean "than". 

Oh, yes, that one really bothers me.  It makes me wonder how they pronounce "then" and "than".  They are distinctly different to me.

• Like 3

two people in my life:

My dad- he doesn't hear as good as he used too and always goes hmmm when I talk to him.  Which I mean it's a normal part of aging to some extent (or with that side of the family) but well sometimes his stubbornness as well as his hard of hearing can prove challenging to deal with.  

A manager at work- he often gives me tips or suggestions but I love how he never actually tries to help me 

• Hugs 1
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I have a friend who says "liberry."  She has several advanced degrees, including a law degree.  I believe she would actually write the word out correctly.

Does she have problems with the “br” sound?      Or is it an accent of some sort?  My immigrant grandmother who barely spoke English called the library, “lye-belly” because she had issues with the “r” sound.  She has a niece named Katherine.  When she didn’t use her Chinese name, she called her Ka-teh-leen. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
50 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Does she have problems with the “br” sound?      Or is it an accent of some sort?  My immigrant grandmother who barely spoke English called the library, “lye-belly” because she had issues with the “r” sound.  She has a niece named Katherine.  When she didn’t use her Chinese name, she called her Ka-teh-leen. 

Nice try, but nope.  It's just one of those classic old timey errors, like Febyooary and nucular. 

The interesting thing is that even her husband has not corrected this.  And he is one of the most bloviatingly arrogant pedants I have ever met.  There also may be a touch of dyslexia involved.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3
On 3/26/2023 at 12:02 PM, Blergh said:

Agree. Along those lines, invitees who spring 'last minute' additions (for non-emergency reasons)  when one had specifically invited ONLY the invitees themselves to venues. If I'd wanted the other additions to . .whatever, I'd have invited them myself  but  since I'm unexpectedly now  having to include them in our activities, don't be surprised if I can't go any deeper than merely civil chat-chat instead of the deeper convos I had originally intended with the invitees.

I'll add to this, my son-in-law who likes to be included when sometimes I just want my daughter one on one. Don't get me wrong, he's a great guy, but sometimes I just want girl talk, lol! 

20 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I know what you mean. Can’t eat a lot of things like I used to. Now I’m getting problems with eating.

Yes, I am finding this is true as well. It's amazing what I used to be able to eat with no adverse reactions. Now I look at something and wonder if I'll need bean-0 or a tums aferwards.....

15 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

My dad- he doesn't hear as good as he used too and always goes hmmm when I talk to him.  Which I mean it's a normal part of aging to some extent (or with that side of the family) but well sometimes his stubbornness as well as his hard of hearing can prove challenging to deal with.  

Yikes, we went through this with my dad for YEARS. He insisted that his hearing was fine, that it was us mumbling/whispering/talking all at once. Finally he got his hearing checked and lo and behold, hearing loss! He now has a hearing aid, which works wonders, he is much less aggravated now when the whole family is together and talking. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

A stickler would point out that it's actually a chaise longue you're collapsing into. 

Yes, I actually thought hard about which version to use. ;) 

I also am about to go down a rabbit hole reading up on "folk etymology," as in substituting a similar but more familiar word for a foreign one.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 3
22 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I've had to make this ^ decision in manuscripts more times than I can count. It all depends on context, I guess proving that absent context a stickler will often be wrong.

I know I have commented on this general problem a long time ago, from my previous copy editing career, where at one time we had a real stickler for a department head.  I would never use chaise longue in any popular publication, unless maybe a decorating magazine. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I would never use chaise longue in any popular publication, unless maybe a decorating magazine.

If you said "shezz longgg" where I grew up on Longgg Island, you'd've been laughed out of the beach club. It was "chaze lowwnge" or nothing. Same deal when editing fiction. It all depends on where you are.

• LOL 4
22 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Same deal when editing fiction. It all depends on where you are.

It's like soda, soft drink and pop.  At least here in Canada which one you use is a bit of tell as to where you came from!

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 6
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I would never use chaise longue in any popular publication, unless maybe a decorating magazine. 

That's probably explains why The New Yorker almost always uses "chaise longue."  Along with "sombre" and "fibre optic."  Drives me bats.

• LOL 4
19 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

That's probably explains why The New Yorker almost always uses "chaise longue."  Along with "sombre" and "fibre optic."  Drives me bats.

Ooh, I've always been mystified at some of The New Yorker's copy editing mandates.  One of theirs is a double consonant where Americans don't usually use them, such as focussed.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Ooh, I've always been mystified at some of The New Yorker's copy editing mandates.  One of theirs is a double consonant where Americans don't usually use them, such as focussed.

Oy. But then, my only interest, ever, in The New Yorker has been the hilarious cartoons (not sure they're as good as they used to be back in the day, but a laugh's a laugh).

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 3/26/2023 at 12:02 PM, Blergh said:

Agree. Along those lines, invitees who spring 'last minute' additions (for non-emergency reasons)  when one had specifically invited ONLY the invitees themselves to venues. If I'd wanted the other additions to . .whatever, I'd have invited them myself  but  since I'm unexpectedly now  having to include them in our activities, don't be surprised if I can't go any deeper than merely civil chat-chat instead of the deeper convos I had originally intended with the invitees.

My stepdad did this last year for Easter dinner reservations by inviting his crazy mother that we barely get along with. My mom made it very clear that she is not included this year, as he has another brother in the area she can spend time with. (Shocking that the other brother’s wife can’t stand MIL either.) 

Mine is people who don’t even give you a minute to breathe before they jump all over you to talk. I was trying to arrange a call with someone tomorrow and told her my lunch break starts at 12:30 and she said “Great I’ll call you at 12:30!” Like…what if I run late getting off due to a late call or something? Can’t you wait until 12:40? Hopefully she understands. 😬Can I have a minute to get off my computer and catch my breath? 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Oy. But then, my only interest, ever, in The New Yorker has been the hilarious cartoons (not sure they're as good as they used to be back in the day, but a laugh's a laugh).

The cartoons are still good, especially my favorite, Roz Chast.  Then there's David Sipress, who is similar in some ways.  Both have written great memoirs about their difficult families.  Roz Chast's is more a graphic book, and Sipress's is written with cartoons interspersed throughout. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Americans I met while travelling in SE Asia would rave about New Yorker cartoons and Saturday Night Live.  I've now lived here (in The States) for 35 years and I still don't get why.

1 hour ago, Leeds said:

Americans I met while travelling in SE Asia would rave about New Yorker cartoons and Saturday Night Live.  I've now lived here (in The States) for 35 years and I still don't get why.

This is so interesting. Perhaps these things are so culture specific that you might never get the references if not brought up here?  But I think SNL is shown in the UK.  What if anything do you find funny here?  Do you still follow and like British humor?  I’m so curious now.  

Incidentally the mod note appears sometime about Monday afternoon. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Leeds said:

Where's the message?

There's no post about the title change, just a note at the bottom of the first post since the change stating the thread's title has been altered.

• Thanks 1

Lack of common courtesy continued.

I joined my church choir a couple of years ago and I largely like the people there but I hate that they hold up practice because they refuse to listen to the director for…whatever reason. He calls out a song to do, no one knows where it is in their binder. He gives directions to parts and people proceed to sing when it’s not their part. Last night’s rehearsal he was trying to explain a piece of music and he actually had to look over at a group of women and wait because they were talking when he was trying to talk. It’s frustrating for me too because rehearsal was at 90 minutes and still not over when I finally had to leave because everyone seems to think it’s chit chat time rather than a time to focus and be productive. And since rehearsals are advertised as being around an hour I think it’s rude of the director to hold everyone there 30+ extra minutes without advanced heads up. I know it’s Holy Week next week but these are pretty much the same songs we sang last year. We should be pretty efficient at them by now. Hey Carol, maybe you wouldn’t have to moan and complain everything is so hard if you actually listened at practice and looked at the order of music that’s in your binder in order and on a list the director prepared.  

I guess this is why I’m not a choir director though. I would honestly start telling people that if they refuse to listen and want to chat, there’s the door. Come back when you’re ready to focus. I’d be fired by a church for sure. 🤣🤣

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 4

So I am all excited to be flying after a 10 year gap; thrilled at the thought that I can skip the screening/pat down/ and taking off my shoes because I enrolled in the TSA Precheck. I contó that line. And what does the bored agent tell me after she scans my ID? I’m in the WRONG line and sends me to the Standard. I KNOW I updated my ticket with the KTN number! So I go through, because no one can be bothered to explain to me why I wasn’t allowed to go through the line I PAID for.

I check with the airline agents at the counter-yep-my KTN is there. She doesn’t know why I wasn’t allowed to go through the TSA Precheck line.

ARGHHHHH!!!!

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 10
42 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So I am all excited to be flying after a 10 year gap; thrilled at the thought that I can skip the screening/pat down/ and taking off my shoes because I enrolled in the TSA Precheck. I contó that line. And what does the bored agent tell me after she scans my ID? I’m in the WRONG line and sends me to the Standard. I KNOW I updated my ticket with the KTN number! So I go through, because no one can be bothered to explain to me why I wasn’t allowed to go through the line I PAID for.

I check with the airline agents at the counter-yep-my KTN is there. She doesn’t know why I wasn’t allowed to go through the TSA Precheck line.

ARGHHHHH!!!!

Aww have a wonderful time!

• Like 6
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

ARGHHHHH!!!!

How frustrating! Did your boarding pass say "TSAPre" (or something similar)? If not, check in with the airline to make sure it's good to go for your return trip. May this be your only "bump" in the road. Have a fantastic trip!!!!

• Like 5
7 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

This is so interesting. Perhaps these things are so culture specific that you might never get the references if not brought up here?  But I think SNL is shown in the UK.  What if anything do you find funny here?  Do you still follow and like British humor?  I’m so curious now.  

Incidentally the mod note appears sometime about Monday afternoon. 

Well, I just typed a reply with a few of the American shows I find funny, but the Internet demons ate it.

Here are a few: Schitt$ Creek, White Lotus (first season), M*A*S*H* (before they added the laugh track), early Modern Family, I love Lucy, The Carol Burnett Show, Six Feet Under (black humour rather than comedy, I suppose), Veep.

I only get basic cable, so there are some shows I think I'd enjoy if I could get them - Ted Lasso?  Same with British shows.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Well, I just typed a reply with a few of the American shows I find funny, but the Internet demons ate it.

Here are a few: Schitt$ Creek, White Lotus (first season), M*A*S*H* (before they added the laugh track), early Modern Family, I love Lucy, The Carol Burnett Show, Six Feet Under (black humour rather than comedy, I suppose), Veep.

I only get basic cable, so there are some shows I think I'd enjoy if I could get them - Ted Lasso?  Same with British shows.

Well, I too like many of the ones you listed!  My user name tells you that I love I Love Lucy. 

Ted Lasso is great.  Since it's a British/American crossover, fish out of water story, I think you'd like it too.  See if you can get it somewhere or take a temporary Apple plus membership and binge the whole thing when it's over. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

How frustrating! Did your boarding pass say "TSAPre" (or something similar)? If not, check in with the airline to make sure it's good to go for your return trip. May this be your only "bump" in the road. Have a fantastic trip!!!!

I thought it did, but it doesn’t. But when I check my ticket status, it has the KTN number on it. Will definitely call the airline about this. But what was really frustrating was that all the agent did was scan my passport, and then told me I was in the wrong line!

Just landed and headed for the hotel and then the office ti get settled in.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
On 3/27/2023 at 12:40 PM, PRgal said:

I just noticed that this topic now has a subheading.  

So does Chitchat...no idea why it was needed. Aren't Chitchat & Pet Peeves the most popular topics anyway? I never knew what I was missing in life until I discovered these two sites 🤗.

• Like 6
  • Love 1