Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 2/22/2023 at 2:49 PM, Leeds said:

"Ship", "shipper", "shipping" and any other iteration of this abomination.

Missed this but I agree. I’ve encountered some who take their fictional “ship” way too seriously and seem to have the need to dictate how others should view people who don’t actually exist. Turn off your TV and social media and go touch grass. 

Mine is kind of related to work but is more of a general observance than about my specific job. I hate that when I mention I wish I’d had more of a career and don’t want to be stuck in customer support, people say to me “You should go to nursing school” or “Go into tech/software.” Not everyone should be a nurse or other healthcare worker. I have nurses in my family and you definitely have to have the right temperament and skill set for it because it’s so demanding. You have to treat your patients with respect and a mistake could seriously injure or kill someone. It’s not just something you do on a whim for money. I think it’s fine to say I don’t have the mind for that. Same for software development. I don’t have the brain to “learn to code” or take engineering courses. I’m not good at complex math and science. But everyone acts like these are the only two careers in the world.

And also someone tried to tell me I’m too old to learn to work in marketing (I’m 37) because it’s “full of young people with fresh ideas” but somehow I’m not too old to spend 2-4 years in nursing school and then have to work 10-12 hour shifts on my feet? That’s logical. This is as annoying as hearing “did you try driving for Uber?” when everyone and their dog is on a gig app these days. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

"Yummy." I cannot stand it, especially when I see it in a comment on a food post. Somehow, "Yummy!" with an exclamation point is a little bit better than just "Yummy."

I have another peeve that, depending on my mood, may also make me laugh. The answers to questions on Amazon -- people reply to other people's questions, even when they (the repliers) don't know the answer (eg, Q: "Is this dishwasher safe?" A: "I don't know; I don't even have a dishwasher"). I think that when they get the email that comes from Amazon, they mistakenly assume that it was specifically addressed to them as opposed to sent to anyone who bought the item?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
30 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

"Yummy." I cannot stand it, especially when I see it in a comment on a food post. Somehow, "Yummy!" with an exclamation point is a little bit better than just "Yummy."

I have another peeve that, depending on my mood, may also make me laugh. The answers to questions on Amazon -- people reply to other people's questions, even when they (the repliers) don't know the answer (eg, Q: "Is this dishwasher safe?" A: "I don't know; I don't even have a dishwasher"). I think that when they get the email that comes from Amazon, they mistakenly assume that it was specifically addressed to them as opposed to sent to anyone who bought the item?

I'm with you on yummy, also 'ooey gooey'. Unless you're addressing a kindergarten preschool class, please use adult adjectives.

(shrinks) those are adjectives, right?  lol

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 3
(edited)

I don't despise all "non-adult" adjectives; some are funny to me, though I cannot at the moment come up with examples. But I am so with you on "ooey gooey" -- that is absolutely horrific! "Melty" gets on my nerves too, but not like "yummy."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2

Mine is kind of related to work but is more of a general observance than about my specific job. I hate that when I mention I wish I’d had more of a career and don’t want to be stuck in customer support, people say to me “You should go to nursing school” or “Go into tech/software.” Not everyone should be a nurse or other healthcare worker. I have nurses in my family and you definitely have to have the right temperament and skill set for it because it’s so demanding. You have to treat your patients with respect and a mistake could seriously injure or kill someone. It’s not just something you do on a whim for money. I think it’s fine to say I don’t have the mind for that. Same for software development. I don’t have the brain to “learn to code” or take engineering courses. I’m not good at complex math and science. But everyone acts like these are the only two careers in the world.

Indeed. Here's the thing about customer service. It forces you to deal with other humans all day long. I can tell you from my days in sales, other humans grind you down and burn you out. Dealing with sick humans is even worse. Some people have the tempermant for that but if you're not one of those people, it's the worst possible career you can choose.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don't despise all "non-adult" adjectives; some are funny to me, though I cannot at the moment come up with examples. But I am so with you on "ooey gooey" -- that is absolutely horrific! "Melty" gets on my nerves too, but not like "yummy."

I have to defend one use of "melty" - in the original (British) TV series Coupling, in the episode The Melty Man.

• Useful 1

The word I loathe, in any context other than if it's actually someone's name, is "babe".  I have a friend who addresses everyone by this term as in a recent comment to an adult son "hey babe can you do me a favour".  The other one I hate is "doll".  When did these terms become commonly used as a way of getting someone's attention?

• Like 5
26 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Haha, you can defend it all if you like; it's my weird issue, clearly, and not a bazillion other people's!

Oh, don't get me wrong, normally I also hate "melty", but the use in Coupling is very specific and nothing to do with cheese.  If you like somewhat raunchy but clever British humour, check out the episode on YouTube.  Caveat emptor: totally unsuitable for work.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Indeed. Here's the thing about customer service. It forces you to deal with other humans all day long. I can tell you from my days in sales, other humans grind you down and burn you out. Dealing with sick humans is even worse. Some people have the tempermant for that but if you're not one of those people, it's the worst possible career you can choose.

My mom did behavioral health nursing for many years in two drug and alcohol rehab facilities. There were times she had clients who genuinely wanted to be there and got their lives back together but when people were forced to be there (for probation or to avoid prison) or had a bad attitude/wanted her to do everything for them it was extremely stressful. 

• Hugs 2
(edited)

Peeve:  Snippy people. Yesterday at the grocery store a man had blocked the case that held b sandwich rolls/hot & ham rolls, etc., with his cart and his body as he looked for his item. I waited until he stepped to the left and I could reach the sausage rolls I needed, as I reached my arm he stepped back to the right and was startled that I was there. I immediately said "So sorry!"  He angrily snapped "Don't mind me!" Dude, wtf? I apologized again and quickly walked away. There was no reason for that and it set me off for the rest of the evening. 

Add to that, on the drive home a woman in a large SUV cut me off. (I was in the middle lane, she was in the left lane.) I had to slam on my brakes so as not to hit her and quickly looked in my rearview to make sure I wasn't going to get rear-ended, and there was NO ONE BEHIND ME! I laughed and thought "geez, you could have just slowed down and got behind me" but I wasn't mad or upset. As she exited at the split to the other expressway I glanced over and she is screaming out her window at me and gesturing. WHY???? I just don't get how people can be so nasty with so little provacation....or when it's their fault. 

Edited by KittyMom4
  • Like 9
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 1
10 hours ago, Leeds said:

Pet peeve #692: My lack of self control inside World Market.  I went there today because it's the only affordable source I can find for Haywards pickled onions, without which my life lacks meaning.  "Two jars of pickles only, two jars of pickles only," I said to myself as I went in.  Some time later I staggered out under the weight of around $100 worth of goodies.  I am currently snacking on Biscoff cookies.

I don't know how you feel about Amazon, but they have a huge, varied selection of Haywards Pickled Onions. I have gotten them there and they are very good!!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
19 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I hate being called 'honey' or any variation except by my wife. 

I'm a young looking 43 year old and a supermarket cashier who appeared to be 50 or so  called me just that a couple of weeks ago.  Seriously, we could have been at the same elementary school at the same time!  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, PRgal said:
23 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I hate being called 'honey' or any variation except by my wife. 

I'm a young looking 43 year old and a supermarket cashier who appeared to be 50 or so  called me just that a couple of weeks ago.  Seriously, we could have been at the same elementary school at the same time!  

Don't move to Newfoundland whatever you do if this bothers you - you probably do get used to being called duckie or my love by servers but it definitely startles at first!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
7 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Don't move to Newfoundland whatever you do if this bothers you - you probably do get used to being called duckie or my love by servers but it definitely startles at first!

Or Northumberland.

image.png.1f7815301c03ce1a9413a8723346f9a7.png

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm with you on yummy, also 'ooey gooey'. Unless you're addressing a kindergarten preschool class, please use adult adjectives.

(shrinks) those are adjectives, right?  lol

I've used these words, at times. LOL. This is amusing me. I ended up avoiding the grammar thread, after deciding that ignorance is bliss. I know that my grammar isn't perfect. 

12 hours ago, Leeds said:

Pet peeve #692: My lack of self control inside World Market.  I went there today because it's the only affordable source I can find for Haywards pickled onions, without which my life lacks meaning.  "Two jars of pickles only, two jars of pickles only," I said to myself as I went in.  Some time later I staggered out under the weight of around $100 worth of goodies.  I am currently snacking on Biscoff cookies.

A few weeks ago, I didn't go in at all. I told my dad, "I want to just spend a lot of money, and I can't, so I can't go in at all." I didn't even have a lot of money on me, so I would have put things in my cart, and then had to put most of them back. 

I'm currently getting little chocolate eggs from Target. 

This is one of my favourite videos. Warning: swearing involved.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Duckie?  Would it be all right if I reply with “Goosie?”  #sorrynotsorry 

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Or Northumberland.

image.png.1f7815301c03ce1a9413a8723346f9a7.png

I love Vera and I'm quite used to her calling everyone "love", but I know it bothers some people.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, KittyMom4 said:

Peeve:  Snippy people. Yesterday at the grocery store a man had blocked the case that held b sandwich rolls/hot & ham rolls, etc., with his cart and his body as he looked for his item. I waited until he stepped to the left and I could reach the sausage rolls I needed, as I reached my arm he stepped back to the right and was startled that I was there. I immediately said "So sorry!"  He angrily snapped "Don't mind me!" Dude, wtf? I apologized again and quickly walked away. There was no reason for that and it set me off for the rest of the evening. 

Jeez. I did something exactly like what you did the other day. Fortunately, I didn't get snapped at. 

This story, reminds me of a bit comedian Chad Daniels did that always amuses me. At some point in it he says, "Nobody likes being yelled at. Especially in public."  He also has a good traffic pet peeve as part of the story. 

It's got a few F-bombs dropped in, just in case anybody doesn't like that sort of thing or is listening to it out loud in a place where that would be bad.

• LOL 4
(edited)
17 hours ago, Leeds said:

Turning nouns into verbs.  I've got used to "gift" as a verb, though I still dislike it, but today I saw "office" used a a verb, as in "They don't have a staff that might office there."  I wanted to poke my eyes out. 

Wow, that's a new one--yuck.  Is that like summering on the Cape?  Or wintering in Bermuda?

In that vein, I can't stand "adulting" as a verb. 

Another newish business locution I can't stand is "what is our ask going to be?"  or "that's a big ask."   Not as in "what is the asking price for that house?"  But as in asking some adversary to do something in a negotiation. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I don't know how you feel about Amazon, but they have a huge, varied selection of Haywards Pickled Onions. I have gotten them there and they are very good!!

And very expensive compared to Cost Plus!

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Anela said:

This is one of my favourite videos.

And now it is one of mine as well.  Fantastic!

7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I use "yum" if I say it, but I don't mind "yummy".  "Yummo", though, bugs me.  As usual, I blame Rachael Ray.

13 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

In that vein, I can't stand "adulting" as a verb. 

Nor can I.  I almost want to embrace it, as I appreciate the statement that being a functional adult is a lot of work, but the phrase "Adulting is hard" makes people sound just like the juvenile whiners their elders inaccurately claim them to be.

• Like 5

Idiots who provide the language for packaging.  I just used a product that had "Use only as directed" on the package not once but twice.  Unfortunately there were no directions.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 9

My peeve today is that I had to purchase yet another electrical adapter -- this time for Europe, because of course they can't be the same as the UK.  Why can't electricity be the same all over the world?

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Leeds said:

And very expensive compared to Cost Plus!

True, but if you end up spending $100+ on other stuff when you just want the onions, I'd say the trade off is worth it. Especially if Cost Plus/World Market is over a 70 mile round trip as it is for me...

• Like 2

I'm with you all on speaking in a very cutesy manner. A bit here and there doesn't bother me. I know I'm guilty of it just because I pick up the lingo of those in my life. But "Sorry, I can't come with. I'm booed up now. I'm going to be a wifey." Just use regular words, please!

Also, my pet peeve as a woman is the word boob. I use it because everyone else does, but it barely sounds more mature than boobie. Everything else either sounds clinical, victorian, or vulgar. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

True, but if you end up spending $100+ on other stuff when you just want the onions, I'd say the trade off is worth it. Especially if Cost Plus/World Market is over a 70 mile round trip as it is for me...

I totally get your point, and in fact almost went back to edit my original post to say that most of the $100 was spent on stuff I would have bought anyway - for example, tomato sauce, spices, candles.  I did get a totally unnecessary bar of Lindt chocolate - dessert to my pickled onions.

(I just checked the distance - 2.8 miles.  Maybe I should walk, then I wouldn't be tempted by all the heavy stuff!)

• Like 6

My language pet peeve is “lippie” for “lipsticks” and “big girl job.” Even “real job” annoys me less but ugh “big girl job” grates on me. You’re still 25-30 years old; maybe this is why some women complain they’re not taken seriously at work. Just say “first career job” or something. 

• Like 8
17 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Another newish business locution I can't stand is "what is our ask going to be?"  or "that's a big ask."   Not as in "what is the asking price for that house?"  But as in asking some adversary to do something in a negotiatio

I've been hearing "what are the optics on this?" or "How will the optics look to so-and-so?" Which is basically saying "how will this be perceived" but because it makes the sayer sound like he/she is in law enforcement/military, it is now the go-to word to sound cool. 

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

As usual, I blame Rachael Ray

I am not allowed to say "delish" around my husband because of her. I despise her lingo as well but didn't realize that delish was one of her words. 

10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Also, my pet peeve as a woman is the word boob. I use it because everyone else does, but it barely sounds more mature than boobie. Everything else either sounds clinical, victorian, or vulgar. 

Breast, mammarys, tits, boobs, etc., there is no way to say it without someone giggling or pearl-clutching. Same with our other lady parts, god forbid you refer to them by their anatomical designation without someone freaking out.

2 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

My language pet peeve is “lippie” for “lipsticks” and “big girl job.” Even “real job” annoys me less but ugh “big girl job” grates on me. You’re still 25-30 years old; maybe this is why some women complain they’re not taken seriously at work. Just say “first career job” or something.

I'm with you and will add:  "put on your big girl panties" to the list.  Talk about misogynistic. 

• Like 9
(edited)

I wish I could make a more lighthearted peeve today, but I hope just "getting it out" will unstress me a little. Anyway, I just want to like my home (a smallish 2 BR condo)--especially now that I work here every day as well as live here--and it feels like the universe is getting in the way of that in every possible manner. For one thing, for the second time in a few months, the scheduled alarm tester just skipped our unit, despite texts to the property manager (after the first "skip") and notes on the door and posts to the condo resident FB page. Look, whatever, it's probably fine, but I don't want to start pushing buttons and hoping for the best (that carbon monoxide one is LOUD!), especially when we have someone who is supposed to do it for us. What the hell is the fucking issue here? What is so hard?

Then, we have some repairs being done on the building, so a few of us have to give up our paid-for parking spots temporarily. I want to know an estimation of how long and, depending on the answer to that, whether we are expected to pay the parking part of the condo fees. NO ONE REPLIES! Is this a weird thing to want to know? If it's a day or 2, then whatever--I'll just pay. But I don't have a job right now, so if it's a week or more, maybe I don't want to pay!

I just feel like I am doing what I am supposed to as far as communicating about condo issues but I feel like I'm being viewed as a (for lack of a better term) "Karen." And I'm not, I swear! I'm asking questions and trying to handle everything as it comes up. But it's making me hate this place and wish I stayed put in a rented apartment. Maybe I need to make my BF ask the questions; maybe he'll be taken seriously by those in charge, even though I am the name on the stupid mortgage.

Another thing is my BF taking so much longer to take care of some storage issues than he estimates he will. Yes, he is very busy being a new small-business owner with only one part-time employee and I know that shit can't happen in the blink of an eye, but I am tired of working around things that could and should go somewhere else. We have 2 bedrooms here and both stress me out to be in because the floorspace is taken up by stuff. And, due to his busy-ness, almost all home responsibilities are on me. And it kind of goes without saying that certain in-home projects have taken a back burner too. Stuff that I don't know if I should tackle myself (though to be fair, I am still mulling over some of those, so it's on me too. Sometimes I am indecisive about this stuff--excited to do it, yes! But, indecisive...also yes).

And, some of you know about the whole bird feeder saga, so that still weighs on me. Who knew that birds could be so fun yet calming? I love them.

Maybe I am just extra-stressing lately. Who knows? The last few months have been a shit-show.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 7
15 minutes ago, KittyMom4 said:

:  "put on your big girl panties" to the list.  Talk about misogynistic. 

I hate this one so much, but I was skeeved out just thinking about typing it yesterday, so I didn't!   It's not only misogynistic, it's also just icky.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
15 minutes ago, KittyMom4 said:

I've been hearing "what are the optics on this?" or "How will the optics look to so-and-so?" Which is basically saying "how will this be perceived" but because it makes the sayer sound like he/she is in law enforcement/military, it is now the go-to word to sound cool. 

I am not allowed to say "delish" around my husband because of her. I despise her lingo as well but didn't realize that delish was one of her words. 

Breast, mammarys, tits, boobs, etc., there is no way to say it without someone giggling or pearl-clutching. Same with our other lady parts, god forbid you refer to them by their anatomical designation without someone freaking out.

I'm with you and will add:  "put on your big girl panties" to the list.  Talk about misogynistic. 

I don't know about the misogynistic part, since "big boy pants" is used as well.  I'm fine with "girl" used in a very casual manner, and to be honest, my alma mater's transition to using "alumna/e" over "Old Girl(s)" is bothering more than just me.  I'm continuing to use Old Girl/OG even if they tell me to stop.  I'd rather be an "Old Strachnaner" than an alumna.  I'm an alumna of my university, but not of my high school.  There, I'm an Old Girl.  /endrant

(and my alma mater isn't the only girls-only school which (historically) referred to its grads as "Old Girls").  I think they switched it up not because of the "girl" part, but "old")

Baby-sounding voices:  It's cultural, for the most part.  I hear it a lot among millennial-aged Asian females/those very exposed to 90s East Asian pop culture just like vocal fry is common among those exposed to American pop culture from the same era.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

And now it is one of mine as well.  Fantastic!

I use "yum" if I say it, but I don't mind "yummy".  "Yummo", though, bugs me.  As usual, I blame Rachael Ray.

Nor can I.  I almost want to embrace it, as I appreciate the statement that being a functional adult is a lot of work, but the phrase "Adulting is hard" makes people sound just like the juvenile whiners their elders inaccurately claim them to be.

When I hear 'adulting' all I think is 'you are an adult grow the f*** up'   

I also can stand 'optics.'  

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
43 minutes ago, KittyMom4 said:

I wish more people used the word breast so I didn't feel overly proper using it. It sounds more mature to me.

23 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I don't know about the misogynistic part, since "big boy pants" is used as well.  I'm fine with "girl" used in a very casual manner, and to be honest, my alma mater's transition to using "alumna/e" over "Old Girl(s)" is bothering more than just me.  I'm continuing to use Old Girl/OG even if they tell me to stop.  I'd rather be an "Old Strachnaner" than an alumna.  I'm an alumna of my university, but not of my high school.  There, I'm an Old Girl.  /endrant

(and my alma mater isn't the only girls-only school which (historically) referred to its grads as "Old Girls").  I think they switched it up not because of the "girl" part, but "old")

Baby-sounding voices:  It's cultural, for the most part.  I hear it a lot among millennial-aged Asian females/those very exposed to 90s East Asian pop culture just like vocal fry is common among those exposed to American pop culture from the same era.

Girl used in a casual manner doesn't bother me either. There are times I can understand how it can be used in a way to talk down to a woman, but I don't think that's most folks' intention. 

Not gonna lie, baby voices grate me. I don't at all mean if it's someone's natural voice. But there are women who have their regular mature woman voice but think it's cute to have this super fake high pitch. I sound younger than my age myself, which I don't always love. But it's not deliberate. 

Also baby talk annoys me in general! I've read it's actually good for dogs, but whenever I hear grown folks start with the goo goo gaga, I can't help that I find it annoying. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Another thing is my BF taking so much longer to take care of some storage issues than he estimates he will. Yes, he is very busy being a new small-business owner with only one part-time employee and I know that shit can't happen in the blink of an eye, but I am tired of working around things that could and should go somewhere else. We have 2 bedrooms here and both stress me out to be in because the floorspace is taken up by stuff. And, due to his busy-ness, almost all home responsibilities are on me. And it kind of goes without saying that certain in-home projects have taken a back burner too. Stuff that I don't know if I should tackle myself (though to be fair, I am still mulling over some of those, so it's on me too. Sometimes I am indecisive about this stuff--excited to do it, yes! But, indecisive...also yes).

@TattleTeenyI feel your pain. I moved from 2200 sq ft to 900 sq ft when I married Mr. KittyDad. We had planned it a year in advance and I asked him to please carve out space for me (and my stuff) amongst his overly cluttered and (kinda dirty) house. He.Did.Nothing. Which meant for the first 12 months I lived there I had to sort, toss, store, move, sell and giveaway HIS stuff in order to accommodate my stuff. I am not someone who can live amongst clutter and dirt*. Looking back I just remember the unhappiness and frustration I felt. It did get better, room by room as I cleaned and organized it began to feel more like 'home'. 

*My husband cleans the bare minimum so while countertops and walkways were 'clean', the rest of the house was covered in dust, dirt and grime from years of build-up. He just didn't see it. When I was mopping the floor he saw how dirty the water was and was surprised. He will now say "it wasn't that dirty" when I mention it but it was that dirty, trust me.

In case anyone thinks I moved all 2200 sq ft worth of furniture and things to his house, I didn't. I sorted, tossed, stored and sold a ton of my stuff prior to the move. 

Edited by KittyMom4
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 2
(edited)

It's so true -- some people just don't see. It's not that they're jerks or anything necessarily (though sometimes it seems like he thinks that our place is just "naturally" neat and clean and organized. No, that's me, dude).

I do try to make sure that I consider all of the good shit when I feel this way, but it can be so frustrating. Especially once I found myself in the house for exponentially more time than I was before (which, don't get me wrong,  has an impressive list of positives! I just don't want those positives to be dulled by these other, ongoing things).

I am feeling anxious just expressing this.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Maybe I need to make my BF ask the questions; maybe he'll be taken seriously by those in charge, even though I am the name on the stupid mortgage.

Don't you dare!  Be assertive, kind, and persistent. If you're being reasonable (sounds like you are), then you have no reason to recoil. When necessary, let 'em have it!  Never pays to be a doormat in these situations. They'll let you twist in the wind for as long as you allow it.  I know you're neither of these things, just saying...

• Like 9
(edited)

TY for that -- and I do appreciate the sentiment and agree! But, at the same time, it's not about not being a doormat; it's more about my patience is gone and maybe my BF can take on this particular item on the to-do list of living here. That may work on multiple levels: 1) shows him the "invisible" parts of running this place; 2) possibly gets us an answer; and 3) keeps me from yelling at the property manager. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

TY for that -- and I do appreciate the sentiment and agree! But, at the same time, it's not about not being a doormat; it's more about my patience is gone and maybe my BF can take on this particular item on the to-do list of living here. That may work on multiple levels: 1) shows him the "invisible" parts of running this place; 2) possibly gets us an answer; and 3) keeps me from yelling at the property manager. 

I understand completely.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, KittyMom4 said:

@TattleTeenyI feel your pain. I moved from 2200 sq ft to 900 sq ft when I married Mr. KittyDad. We had planned it a year in advance and I asked him to please carve out space for me (and my stuff) amongst his overly cluttered and (kinda dirty) house. He.Did.Nothing. Which meant for the first 12 months I lived there I had to sort, toss, store, move, sell and giveaway HIS stuff in order to accommodate my stuff. I am not someone who can live amongst clutter and dirt*. Looking back I just remember the unhappiness and frustration I felt. It did get better, room by room as I cleaned and organized it began to feel more like 'home'. 

*My husband cleans the bare minimum so while countertops and walkways were 'clean', the rest of the house was covered in dust, dirt and grime from years of build-up. He just didn't see it. When I was mopping the floor he saw how dirty the water was and was surprised. He will now say "it wasn't that dirty" when I mention it but it was that dirty, trust me.

In case anyone thinks I moved all 2200 sq ft worth of furniture and things to his house, I didn't. I sorted, tossed, stored and sold a ton of my stuff prior to the move. 

Now that you've got the place under control, is there any way you can get Mr. KittyDad involved in ongoing maintenance so it doesn't all fall on you?  "If we tackle the bathroom together, then we'll be able to make the 7:30 movie showing/we'll have time for a walk/we'll deserve xyz reward".

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Sometimes it takes two people to get things done. When I was at my wits end, trying to figure out how to get our Covid vaccines, back when they were first available, there were no places on our side of the lake. My doctor and I even went online to try to find anywhere near us to get one and she finally gave up. Then I heard Microsoft was having big clinics for them but I was so exhausted by then I just couldn't handle it. That's when my husband got involved. We don't call him The Hammer for nothing!

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Today's peeve:  I've come across yet another incident (this time in a short story) where someone objecting to a neighbour's loud music is depicted as a "no fun Freddie".  I am peeved.  Not wanting to have a barrage of noise inflicted on you doesn't automatically make you the bad guy in these scenarios in real life!  

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 8
  • Applause 4
3 hours ago, KittyMom4 said:

I've heard the word optics tossed around at my job for at least the last ten years. When I hear it about something I've prepared, I immediately know it means, "fix that".

In my case, one of the things I do is prepare financial forecasts. After I run everything through all of my models, take into account all variables, and come up with numbers that predict the results with as much certainty that one could have, if the result is a positive cash flow of $19,973...

I go back and change a variable to make the number $20,046, because optics matter.  That $20K generates measurably better feelings about the project than the $19K, even if they both clearly round to an even $20.0.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

And, some of you know about the whole bird feeder saga, so that still weighs on me. Who knew that birds could be so fun yet calming? I love them.

I miss birds so much. I had to take down my feeders because I saw a rat. And was also sick of hearing my neighbor grumbling about bird droppings. My favorite part was when, for the millionth time, he said "but you were here first so I can't say anything." And yet you do. Over and over.

• Sad 10

Another one for me. When I’m in a training or other meeting and the trainer/leader says, “And if you don’t volunteer I’m going to start calling on people!” It always sounds so condescending to me. We’re adults; this isn’t elementary school. Treat us and teach us like we’re professionals. This is my first week here and the trainer talking down to me is a total turnoff. 

• Like 6
  • Fire 1

I'm not disabled but my husband is, and it drives me nuts when people say "handi-capable" or "differently-abled".  I was just at a work seminar for an inclusive work environment and one of the people taking the course with me kept saying differently-abled when talking about disabled people.  My husband prefers to be called disabled (so do a lot of disabled people that I follow on social media).

I also hate the term wheelchair-bound.  My husband is not bound to his wheelchair.  He used a walker when he was a kid, but he says the wheelchair gets him around a lot faster so he got rid of the walker.

Last one (I'm sorry!). My husband told be about this term he heard, which is interabled relationship, which means one person is disabled and the other is able-bodied.  I just say I'm in a relationship, it doesn't need a special name just because my husband uses a wheelchair!

Okay, rant over!

• Like 10
  • Applause 6