Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Opening an *essay* about {topic} with, "I'm tired of people talking about {topic}."

I find it hard to take the author seriously.

Edited by Trini
formatting issues
  • Like 5
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

The funny cards were funnier and the heartfelt ones were better written and more appropriate to the occasion.

The New Yorker cartoons are no longer all that funny. The editorial cartoons in the Washington Post have been peculiar for quite a few years now (they're now solely sarcastic, not funny at all). Kids...you can stay on my lawn--just don't make any noise 😎.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Not only are cards getting too expensive anymore but they're not as good as they used to be.  For over a decade now I have kept a collection of cards I bought over the years just because I liked them and now they're coming in handy because I can't find good cards like that anymore.  Going through them is a reminder that it's not just my imagination.  The funny cards were funnier and the heartfelt ones were better written and more appropriate to the occasion.

This is the reason I keep my card making software and supplies, I can easily print something appropriate on my home printer.  If I’m feeling ambitious I can embellish it, or if I’m really in the mood to make things I can cut pieces to make 3D pop up cards.  Luckily I don’t have to send many these days.

• Like 3
(edited)
On 1/13/2024 at 8:19 AM, Blergh said:

First World Peeve Alert: I hate when I lose clothing but especially when I lose something that's cool and a pragmatic item!  I'm so mad at myself for having lost my fave scarf that not only wrapped around the neck several times but was warm and thick so I could keep the whole neck and upper chest area toasty warm even in the most freezing temps!  All I know is that I brought it to work, then sometime between the time I changed from street clothes to work clothes then back, it was gone. I'm not even sure about that because the first time I noticed it was missing was when I was about to walk out the building and I didn't feel that usual toasty embrace- and all my efforts to retrace my steps back to my locker and change are to spot it were for naught! Yep, and right when my neck of the woods is having a long spell of subfreezing temps!ARRGHH!!

Yeah, I'm going to try to buy a replacement ASAP [and hope that the stores aren't sold out] but it makes me so mad at myself! PHOOOEY!!!!!

Revisiting this...

You guys, I lost a SHOE INSERT! A single shoe insert; I have the other one. Luckily, I don't mean the expensive Rx ones that were custom fit to me; these were my "extra set" that I use when the custom ones don't fit well into a certain shoe ($50-ish in stores). But what the holy hell could have happened here? How? I looked in all my shoes!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Hugs 1

I recently lost something but darned if I can remember what it was 😁.  However...I found it in the house, but in a most unexpected place. That's all I remember from this freaky happening. So--keep looking for that shoe insert. It could easily be in a totally stupid place (in a hamper, wrapped up in a blanket, under a shoe in the closet, etc.) 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Revisiting this...

You guys, I lost a SHOE INSERT! A single shoe insert; I have the other one. Luckily, I don't mean the expensive Rx ones that were custom fit to me; these were my "extra set" that I use when the custom ones don't fit well into a certain shoe ($50-ish in stores). But what the holy hell could have happened here? How? I looked in all my shoes!

I hear you, I was going nuts looking for shoe inserts for a while, thinking I'd find them in shoes but never finding them.  Because the weather has been so horrible here lately I was reorganizing my shoe insert drawer yesterday and actually found a couple of single inserts that had somehow gotten lodged somewhere toward the back.  I had been looking for them for a couple of years now.  I put all of them together in a large plastic slider bag now with their mates so they stay together and hopefully don't get lost again.  I'm using those slider bags for more things lately because of that.

• Like 5

I usually just leave mine in whatever shoes I last wore with them. If I am in organization mode, they get a slot in the shoe shelf. However...

That shoe shelf has available slots only because I recently did a purge -- working at home and last year's busted foot/dr's advice made many pairs obsolete in my life. I am wondering if one of the inserts found its way into a Goodwill-bound bag. Like I said, they're $50; I'll grab another set (and I am sure that the minute I do that, I'll find the missing one).

• Like 5
21 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I recently lost something but darned if I can remember what it was 😁.  However...I found it in the house, but in a most unexpected place. That's all I remember from this freaky happening. So--keep looking for that shoe insert. It could easily be in a totally stupid place (in a hamper, wrapped up in a blanket, under a shoe in the closet, etc.) 

In my experience, there's little point in continuing to look for things.  Either you'll be so distracted by finding all the previously lost things that you'd forgotten about, or it'll turn up when you've forgotten why you were looking for it in the first place. 

When I was pregnant I once came across a tissue box in the freezer.

• Like 1
  • LOL 12
16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I usually just leave mine in whatever shoes I last wore with them. If I am in organization mode, they get a slot in the shoe shelf. However...

I do that but my feet tend to swell in the warmer weather so that means often wearing different shoe inserts or even none in the same shoes at different times which complicates it.  Also I have a lot of shoes and not as many shoe inserts.

• Like 3

I have an online friend now that’s stressing me out.

He’s going through it sounds like some challenging times for him.  It seems the core of this is his coming to terms he’s diagnosed as adult ADHD.  I mean not the worst thing in the world imo but I agree it can bring it challenges.

But still I keep telling him in my own way it’s good to know that but you don’t have to let it limit you or pigeonhole you.  And all he does in return is seemingly find some way to talk it seems over me.

Im done.  

• Like 5

Current workplace pet peeve--people who bring tuna fish to work and eat it in the breakroom.  I do not care about the health benefits of fish, or how economical it is as a protein source, or how easy Starkist has made the packaging for you to bring it to work.  It stinks, and the smell lingers.

The only saving grace is my co-worker did not microwave it.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The only saving grace is my co-worker did not microwave it.

Heh heh. I brought a piece of leftover Easter dinner swordfish to work. Popped it into the dept. microwave, ate it & went out to run errands. Oy vey! When I returned, I was the recipient of a ton of outrage. They never let me forget it (but they weren't cruel--it was more humorous). I never knew how bad it was until someone years later (different job) did the same thing. Yikes! I hope companies today have a sign on office microwaves banning fish 😁.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I don't mind fish, and microwave popcorn is fine as long as it isn't burnt.  Burnt popcorn is the worst.

I used to be right around the corner from the microwave, and got so tired of the smell of popcorn.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 4
(edited)

I thought fish or burnt popcorn smelled the worst until someone in my office microwaved broccoli. It was a stench straight from the bowels of hell and it permeated the entire floor. One of the executives on my floor came out of his office screaming about the smell and the poor girl who microwaved it was mortified.

Edited by emma675
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 2
  • LOL 6
3 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I thought fish or burnt popcorn smelled the worst until someone in my office microwaved broccoli. It was a stench straight from the bowels of hell and it permeated the entire floor. One of the executives on my floor came out of his office screaming about the smell and the poor girl who microwaved it was mortified.

I was the office manager at an engineering firm. There was a big sign over the microwave - NO BRUSSLES SPROUTS! EVER!

• Applause 1
  • LOL 13
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I was the office manager at an engineering firm. There was a big sign over the microwave - NO BRUSSLES SPROUTS! EVER!

I know enough engineers, and can just imagine different scenarios which necessitated that sign.  

• LOL 5
38 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

They do reek lol

I LOVE Brussels sprouts!!!  I have a pack of frozen ones in my freezer that I'll heat up with a bit of broth, black pepper and garlic powder.  

• Like 3
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I LOVE Brussels sprouts!!!  I have a pack of frozen ones in my freezer that I'll heat up with a bit of broth, black pepper and garlic powder.  

I love them too. My DH prefers them roasted but I like them nuked with butter.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

So did they really misspell the word Brussels? 

• LOL 3
1 minute ago, EtheltoTillie said:

So did they really misspell the word Brussels? 

Yes! It was hilarious, engineers are a funny breed. Another thing they did was, when we got audited by the state, we let the auditor use the conference room which was next to the kitchen, for his work. Those idiots nuked fish every day he was there.

• LOL 11

I was going through some family photo albums and there were some pictures of me and my best friend in middle school Robert.  After that we went to separate high schools and never spoke again.

In retrospect I don't blame him for dropping off contact with me.... I wasn't necessarily the best friend to him back in the day.  

Live and learn.  But at the same time I'm not sure I'd have much in common with him today.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
18 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I was going through some family photo albums and there were some pictures of me and my best friend in middle school Robert.  After that we went to separate high schools and never spoke again.

In retrospect I don't blame him for dropping off contact with me.... I wasn't necessarily the best friend to him back in the day.  

Live and learn.  But at the same time I'm not sure I'd have much in common with him today.  

I reconnected with some elementary school friends on Facebook, but we just follow each other.  I haven't seen them in person in 30+ years (save for one, and that's because I bumped into her on the street).

• Like 3
(edited)

I have a huge MVA peeve. I was so excited to go in person to renew my driver’s license so that my new one would show my new me.

But of course I have to take a visual exam and I SWEAR it wasn’t that bad six years ago! My vision hasn’t changed-my contacts prescription is still the same. But I failed.

But today? When I had to look at letters? Barely an inch in size! And I could barely make them out. Nowhere ANYWHERE are there signs that small when I’m driving!

So now  my doctor’s office has to send them my exam from this past October. And then Incan renew online with my new picture.

Sorry if that’s shallow, but I haven’t looked this good in 10 years.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 4

Speaking of eyesight, I had a procedure done at the hospital recently and the nurse connecting my IV said she was worried she didn't connect it properly.  She had glasses, but wasn't wearing them.  She then said that she needed to glasses only to see far away.  Still, she worried me.  But it ended up being okay.  She also said she has been wearing reading glasses/bifocals since she was 40.  That sounds young. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

She also said she has been wearing reading glasses/bifocals since she was 40.  That sounds young. 

Well I was diagnosed with Keratoconus 19 years ago, and for the past 8 have been wearing sceleral lenses. And I also have to wear readers when working in front of a computer and reading. The small size of letters at the MVA I had to read made no sense to me. As most street and car signs are triple the size.

I also emailed my eye doctor’s office to send the exam ASAP.

• Hugs 3

I started to need reading glasses in my 40s.  I think that is typical. 

6 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

At an old job, our kitchen signs frequently said ""DONOT" -- not "don't," not "do not," but "DONOT."

We also had this gem (that I may have posted here a long time ago) on the refrigerator, which, on top of punctuation and font abuse, makes almost no sense at all.

278699_2142271403798_6724649_o.jpg

That's probably because they think it's alright.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Another thing they did was, when we got audited by the state, we let the auditor use the conference room which was next to the kitchen, for his work. Those idiots nuked fish every day he was there.

Idiots indeed.  I had a friend who was an auditor for the state in the 1980s, before computers did a lot of the work, so he was onsite for sales tax audits.  He never understood why a business being audited would obviously mistreat him, like give him a place to work outside when it was cold.  Those people were not thinking.

And opposite of engineers, we have lawyers.  I had an advent calendar-type thing once that Santa's face, and his beard had numbers on it, to put a cotton ball on each number corresponding to the day of the month.  I turned it into a gambling thing, where people in my office "bought" a number for a dollar and not only put on the cotton ball but stood to win the pot as well.

To do sales tax audits, the auditors would use random number generators to pick invoices to examine, and we had an auditor do it for our Santa beard numbers.  It came up 2.  The lawyers all protested because 2 didn't seem random enough.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
55 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The small size of letters at the MVA I had to read made no sense to me. As most street and car signs are triple the size.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what's going on, but the letters on street signs are a lot farther away than what you're looking at during the exam, so the ones used for the exam in the office would have to be a lot smaller than what's on the farther-away signs to be "the same."  Right?

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what's going on, but the letters on street signs are a lot farther away than what you're looking at during the exam, so the ones used for the exam in the office would have to be a lot smaller than what's on the farther-away signs to be "the same."  Right?

Yes.

• Useful 1

Actually, Mr. Outlier recently had to get an eye exam from an eye doctor in order to renew his driver's license by mail.  (His type of license can't be done online.)

I looked at the documents, and visual acuity is expressed in terms of 20/xx.  So it's just a regular exam and has nothing to do with signs we see while driving.

Interestingly, I looked at the Texas Administrative Code to see what the visual acuity standards are, and the driver's license people didn't put a glasses restriction on his license even though he didn't meet the requirements:  he's close because one eye and both eyes together meet the standard, but the other eye alone doesn't. 

But the eye doc's handwriting was atrocious.  Seriously--his 3s?  Were a backwards C with a horizontal line in the middle.  Who the hell makes a 3 like that, especially someone whose job entails writing specific numbers that other people have to read?  But at least you'd recognize it as a 3 (by ruling out everything else, but at least it can be done).  His 2s--especially in "20"--look like they could be a 1, they way he draws them and hooks them to the 0.

I don't know if the clerk misread it, or decided life is too short to pick on this particular application with documentation from an eye doctor who can't be arsed to write legibly. 

And...wasn't there criticism years ago about doctors' handwriting?  There have always been jokes about it, but the joke quit being funny when their prescriptions were being filled incorrectly because of the bad handwriting. 

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

And...wasn't there criticism years ago about doctors' handwriting?  There have always been jokes about it, but the joke quit being funny when their prescriptions were being filled incorrectly because of the bad handwriting. 

I was a pharmacy technician for over a decade working in multiple states, I never worked with a pharmacist who did not clarify the illegible prescriptions before dispensing.  Pharmacists have their own licensing boards and are just as liable as a physician when mistakes are made.  Deciphering the illegible handwriting was part of the fun we had, but we never dispensed our guesses even the one pharmacist I worked with who needed his license suspended for other reasons.  He was negligent in other ways.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
11 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Deciphering the illegible handwriting was part of the fun we had, but we never dispensed our guesses even the one pharmacist I worked with who needed his license suspended for other reasons. 

But how do you know you're guessing? 

With the ones shown here, you know you can't read it and of course you'd dig to find out what it says.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/can-you-read-these-rxs-09-2014

But isn't it also possible to encounter something that's sloppy but not illegible, and you unwittingly go one way when the other way was actually correct, like you look at a character that looks like a 1 and nothing like a 7 to you, but it actually is?

26 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But how do you know you're guessing? 

With the ones shown here, you know you can't read it and of course you'd dig to find out what it says.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/can-you-read-these-rxs-09-2014

But isn't it also possible to encounter something that's sloppy but not illegible, and you unwittingly go one way when the other way was actually correct, like you look at a character that looks like a 1 and nothing like a 7 to you, but it actually is?

The answer to your first question  is training and entering in a lot of prescriptions.  A fulltime technician at a busy store is typing a thousand or more prescriptions into your employer's proprietary computer software.  The software contains medication databases that tell you the different available doses of different drugs.  You learn what drugs are most commonly prescribed and how those drugs are dosed.  Medications have documented standard doses.  And these software have built in safeguards to stop wildly incorrect prescriptions from being filled.  The pharmacist would have to override in order to dispense which forces the pharmacist to sign off on it.  Then the insurance companies you submit to also do their own checks.  Insurance companies have their own pharmacists and doctors on staff who help them decide the hows and whys of them paying for any prescription.  

You also learn your local doctors' handwriting quirks.  When you encounter something unusual, you stop and get clarification.  You also have access to the patient's profile of everything you have filled for them plus the old originals.  And any time a pharmacist calls for clarification, they annotate the doctor's response because their license and livelihood are on the line.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Right, but in all my years of driving, I’ve never had to make out words or signs in the teeny tiny letters five inches from my face. The closest would be the odometer or the sings playing on the car radio.

And the vision test is for those 40 and older. So anyone younger could have worse vision but that won’t stop them from getting or renewing a license.

But, I’m hoping my doctor sending what they need is enough or whatever for me to renew.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Right, but in all my years of driving, I’ve never had to make out words or signs in the teeny tiny letters five inches from my face. The closest would be the odometer or the sings playing on the car radio.

Are you looking into a machine?  If so, then I assume the machine would make the letters look farther away to you than they actually are. 

At the last eye doc I went to, the chart I was reading was on the wall in front of me, but it was actually a mirror on that wall, reflecting a chart that's behind me, increasing the effective distance I was looking.

And the vision test is for those 40 and older. So anyone younger could have worse vision but that won’t stop them from getting or renewing a license.

They don't test the vision of people under 40!? 

That would actually track with testing close vision, because people start having trouble with that at 40, but as you noted it doesn't affect driving at all, except looking at the speedometer.  But the acuity standards I was looking at for Texas, for example, don't care about that at all--it's all distance vision.  As it should be.

For some reason I'm thinking you might be in Canada.  Might it be that different there from the U.S.?  But if it is, why?  I can't think of any reason to choose not to test younger people. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Are you looking into a machine?  If so, then I assume the machine would make the letters look farther away to you than they actually are. 

Yes. I had to look into a machine because of my Keratoconus. I can’t see shit out of my right eye if I cover my left. But my vision is sharp with both. 

10 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

That would actually track with testing close vision, because people start having trouble with that at 40, but as you noted it doesn't affect driving at all, except looking at the speedometer. 

For some reason I'm thinking you might be in Canada.  Might it be that different there from the U.S.? 

Not in Maryland, which is where I live, and the notice states those over 49 have to take a vision test.

Nope, I don’t live in Canada. I live in the U.S.  

My doctor even said if not for the  Keratoconus, my acuity is close to 20/20.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not in Maryland, which is where I live, and the notice states those over 49 have to take a vision test.

I can't even begin to imagine why they test only people over 40.  In fact, as people age their distance vision sometimes gets better as their near vision worsens.  Go figure.

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

At the last eye doc I went to, the chart I was reading was on the wall in front of me, but it was actually a mirror on that wall, reflecting a chart that's behind me, increasing the effective distance I was looking.

That would actually track with testing close vision, because people start having trouble with that at 40, but as you noted it doesn't affect driving at all, except looking at the speedometer.  But the acuity standards I was looking at for Texas, for example, don't care about that at all--it's all distance vision.  As it should be.

For some reason I'm thinking you might be in Canada.  Might it be that different there from the U.S.?  But if it is, why?  I can't think of any reason to choose not to test younger people. 

In NYS the vision test has always been for everybody of all ages.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

In NYS the vision test has always been for everybody of all ages.

Same for Texas. It's actually how I found out I needed glasses in my late teens, surprisingly. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I been wearing glasses since kindergarten. I couldn’t see the board. I’m practically blind from being near sighted. 

My husband had been wearing glasses since he was 4. He had laser surgery in his 40's and hasn't had to wear glasses ever since (except for night driving).

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I was thinking back to a kid who lived a few blocks from me and we played in little league and basketball leagues togethers as kids.  We were never really friends but he seemed all right.  His Dad was a nice guy from what I recall.

I got excited to learn I was going to high school with him as it was a Catholic school but he never said hello to me, looked at me, or was ever on the bus with all the neighborhood kids.  In retrospect it just felt real weird.  Last I ever had contact with him if you want to call it that.  Per googling him he seems to be doing all right in life.

I have a tendency to think back to people I used to know and wonder why or how that happened.  I know I know people change but it's hard for me to grasp sometimes.  

• Sad 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 1/28/2024 at 12:30 PM, annzeepark914 said:

My husband had been wearing glasses since he was 4. He had laser surgery in his 40's and hasn't had to wear glasses ever since (except for night driving).

Recently I've noticed that my vision while driving at night has worsened to the extent that I was worrying I might have to give it up, which I would hate and which would seriously impact my life (I live alone and do quite a bit of stuff out and about at night).

Today I finally got my new contacts after an eye exam a couple of weeks ago, and when I was driving home in the dark a few hours later I realized I wasn't having any trouble seeing, even in pretty bad rain.  Doh.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2

License Update:

So easy peasy. I think I'll just have my doctor send me my exam results next time and upload* it myself when it's time to renew again.

I kept refreshing my email to see if MVA sent me confirmation they'd received it my from my doctor's office.

*After three days, I called the MVA, and the most helpful and nicest person informed me that as of this year, we could upload the exams ourselves! We didn't need to have our doctor's office do it! And the idiot examiner at the MVA should have known that, but nooo. She INSISTED that only my DOCTOR'S office could send the exam results. Maroon.

Anyway, after the call, I logged in, confirmed everything, and DONE! I should be getting my license this week.

• Like 8
  • Fire 1
12 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I have a tendency to think back to people I used to know and wonder why or how that happened.  I know I know people change but it's hard for me to grasp sometimes.

I know exactly what you mean, it's something I've always pondered as well. I think it has been hitting me harder now that I'm a few years out of retirement age and I start reminiscing about the coworkers that have come and gone. Some were great friends for a time and then one of us moved on to a new position/department and eventually lost touch, kinda sad, but it is the natural way of things. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, KittyMom4 said:

I know exactly what you mean, it's something I've always pondered as well. I think it has been hitting me harder now that I'm a few years out of retirement age and I start reminiscing about the coworkers that have come and gone. Some were great friends for a time and then one of us moved on to a new position/department and eventually lost touch, kinda sad, but it is the natural way of things. 

I happened to see this old school mate has a job I’ll just say petty high up in public service I was just in.

So yeah I guess you never know what triggers you to think of someone as well 

• Like 1
  • Love 1