Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

53 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I am strongly against anything that suppresses individuality, so school uniform would be a deal breaker for me, no matter how good a school is supposed to be.

Same. 

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Leeds said:

Where I'm from, these are suspenders (the torture item that masochists attach stockings to) - probably  not suitable for grade school.

You never know what's going on under that pleated skirt.

I would guess you're from England, where suspenders are called braces, but you didn't call out "jumpers," which are sweaters in England, so I'm not sure.  And I'm not even sure what we had would be called suspenders because they didn't have elastic.  The were made of the same wool as the skirt and they attached to the skirt with a button.

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

You never know what's going on under that pleated skirt.

I would guess you're from England, where suspenders are called braces, but you didn't call out "jumpers," which are sweaters in England, so I'm not sure.  And I'm not even sure what we had would be called suspenders because they didn't have elastic.  The were made of the same wool as the skirt and they attached to the skirt with a button.

That is weird that they'd have no "give" and would thus, I suppose, be purely decorative.

Yes, British.  For anyone who likes Hugh Bonneville and Graham Norton (and Bill Murray and Matt Damon), here's something about a woolly jumper that should make you laugh rather than go "gah".

https://www.google.com/search?q=hugh+bonneville+graham+norton+wooly+jumper+lippy&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS895US895&oq=hugh+bonneville+graham+norton+wooly+jumper+lippy&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i546i649.133902548j1j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:8ed1ff65,vid:CfEVLzd5j7Q

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

And I'm not even sure what we had would be called suspenders because they didn't have elastic.  The were made of the same wool as the skirt and they attached to the skirt with a button.

I tried to Google what they were called when on a girl's skirt but couldn't get past men's suspenders. Maybe there was no name for them other than straps?? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Leeds said:

That is weird that they'd have no "give" and would thus, I suppose, be purely decorative.

They actually held the skirt up.  Think of the images of a man wearing a barrel or a sandwich board--the straps that go over his shoulders to hold it up. 

IIRC, it was only little girls who had suspenders, and the littlest ones had ones that had a crossbar in back, shaped kind of like an H.  When you got older you'd have two separate suspenders and cross them in the back if you didn't want them falling off your shoulders.  And older girls than that didn't wear suspenders at all.

• Like 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

They actually held the skirt up.  Think of the images of a man wearing a barrel or a sandwich board--the straps that go over his shoulders to hold it up. 

IIRC, it was only little girls who had suspenders, and the littlest ones had ones that had a crossbar in back, shaped kind of like an H.  When you got older you'd have two separate suspenders and cross them in the back if you didn't want them falling off your shoulders.  And older girls than that didn't wear suspenders at all.

Young girls st schools here wear tunics (well, private schools, anyway.  Catholic elementary schools, which are mostly government funded in parts of Canada, have a universal uniform of blue or white tops and non-denim blue bottoms in Toronto.  Other districts may choose to go uniform free), 

Edited by PRgal
5 hours ago, PRgal said:

Young girls st schools here wear tunics (well, private schools, anyway.  Catholic elementary schools, which are mostly government funded in parts of Canada, have a universal uniform of blue or white tops and non-denim blue bottoms in Toronto.  Other districts may choose to go uniform free), 

How can a religious school be tax payer funded? That doesn't seem right to me.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
24 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

If you're talking about the U.S., religious institutions are taxpayer funded because they don't pay taxes and the rest of us pay more taxes to make up for it.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Fire 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

In Canada it's a little complicated but basically  it all began really as a French English issue when Canada became Canada.  We were merging English Canada with French Canada and French Canada at that point in history was solidly Catholic and wanted to make sure their children would still receive Catholic instruction in school. 

A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then and some provinces have done away with this but not all.  And as @PRgal is in Toronto she's in a province that still has a public school board and a Separate (aka Catholic) school board. 

Every now and then this rears its head and people get hot and bothered about it for awhile (with excellent arguments I should add!) but it always seems to settle down again and nothing changes.  Eventually though I imagine they'll probably merge the school boards but not, at least in Ontario, in the near future anyway.

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
46 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Every now and then this rears its head and people get hot and bothered about it for awhile (with excellent arguments I should add!) but it always seems to settle down again and nothing changes.  Eventually though I imagine they'll probably merge the school boards but not, at least in Ontario, in the near future anyway.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if some schools, particularly high schools with a long history, would choose to go private.  Private Catholic schools charge a lot less than non-Catholic ones (we're talking $17-20K vs nearly $40K for day students).

• Mind Blown 2
(edited)

In the "don't believe everything you see" department - some of my younger friends and family have been sharing a meme showing what is claimed to be a 1980s housewife with a full grocery cart and the caption says something along the lines of "1980s housewife with $20 worth of groceries going back to her house that cost $15,000".   

Um, no.  Just no.

I totally get that prices are insane right now for groceries and for houses but someone is not doing their homework if they think this is genuine.

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 10
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Private Catholic schools charge a lot less than non-Catholic ones (we're talking $17-20K vs nearly $40K for day students).

Religious schools here are significantly cheaper than regular private schools, too -- I learned that a few years ago when my friend and her husband decided to put their three kids in (regular) private school, and the cost was a big topic of conversation.  I don't remember specific numbers, just that it was a big difference.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Religious schools here are significantly cheaper than regular private schools, too -- I learned that a few years ago when my friend and her husband decided to put their three kids in (regular) private school, and the cost was a big topic of conversation.  I don't remember specific numbers, just that it was a big difference.

Some "regular" private schools here have historical ties to various faiths (mostly Anglican Church of Canada) but their tuition is pretty high - the same as non-faith based schools.  Royal St. George's College, a boys' school (Grades 3-12) in town, is around (this includes their 2K "activity fee")

• Useful 1

Peeve: When the UPS guy decides he doesn't want to deliver your package. It's noted as delivered, but the guy didn't even get out if the truck (I watched from my kitchen). Now I have to contact the seller (Amazon 3rd party) and ask for a damn replacement. Argh. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Peeve: When the UPS guy decides he doesn't want to deliver your package. It's noted as delivered, but the guy didn't even get out if the truck (I watched from my kitchen). Now I have to contact the seller (Amazon 3rd party) and ask for a damn replacement. Argh. 

I've had that happen and I'll raise you, the Post Lady threw my box in my neighbor's yard and marked it delivered! Neighbor brought it over after taking a photo of it. Went to PO to complain and showed photo, don't know where that Post Lady works now! 

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 4
  • LOL 3
12 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I've had that happen and I'll raise you, the Post Lady threw my box in my neighbor's yard and marked it delivered! Neighbor brought it over after taking a photo of it. Went to PO to complain and showed photo, don't know where that Post Lady works now! 

I hope they nab this driver for stealing. Mine can't be the only box he kept. 

• Like 5
(edited)

I'm thinking the UPS/Teamsters contract officially expires at the end of July, but wondering if some of the union members (drivers) are already on strike in their heads. Certainly doesn't excuse bad behavior or theft, but could be a reason.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4

Oh, speaking of delivery people:  I ordered via Ubereats and the delivery guy texted me in his language.  I tapped on translate but it crashed the app!  I called him instead and it was clear he was struggling with communicating in English.  I wasn’t sure if he was able to find out building since it’s part of a complex.  I always have to message delivery people to make sure they do.  Most delivery people we’ve had are new to Canada, so not speaking English well is expected, but they’re usually at least functional with English.  Or they translate before sending . 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Are you going to notify UPS about what you observed?  I have a problem with FedEx--they leave the package by the garage door. I guess it's too much effort to walk to the front stoop. There doesn't seem to be a phone # (or appropriate extension) to call to complain about this.

• Like 2

Weather.  Ugh.  Right now it's rainy and relatively cool outside.  Not shorts and tees weather, but I am getting ready to go out for the afternoon and the forecast is saying it's going to be hot, humid and "feel like 35c".  So what am I supposed to wear?  Thanks Mother Nature for giving me angst in the wardrobe department!

• Hugs 3
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Weather.  Ugh.  Right now it's rainy and relatively cool outside.  Not shorts and tees weather, but I am getting ready to go out for the afternoon and the forecast is saying it's going to be hot, humid and "feel like 35c".  So what am I supposed to wear?  Thanks Mother Nature for giving me angst in the wardrobe department!

Layers.  I live in dresses in the summer and always take what I call an “AC cardigan” with me. 

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 7
Just now, PRgal said:

always take what I call an “AC cardigan.” With me. 

I do this for stores!  I end up with goose pimples every time I go into the Metro near our house.  I love AC but there are limits!!

• Like 4

The NYPL switched from using Overdrive to Libby, and I have to say I HATE Libby.  When a book becomes available, it says if you don’t have time to read it you can click on a link and the next person in line will get it and you’ll be first in line to get it after, well I did that with one book and it then said I was fourth in line for the book!   Another book came in yesterday but I hadn’t downloaded it yet because I’ve always been given 72 hours to download in both Overdrive and the NYPL’s other app Cloud Library, well today Libby tells me the book is no longer available and I’m 24th in line!   Grrrrrr!!!!

• Sad 4
57 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

I do this for stores!  I end up with goose pimples every time I go into the Metro near our house.  I love AC but there are limits!!

Supermarkets DO have the habit of pumping it up.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, partofme said:

The NYPL switched from using Overdrive to Libby, and I have to say I HATE Libby.  When a book becomes available, it says if you don’t have time to read it you can click on a link and the next person in line will get it and you’ll be first in line to get it after, well I did that with one book and it then said I was fourth in line for the book!   Another book came in yesterday but I hadn’t downloaded it yet because I’ve always been given 72 hours to download in both Overdrive and the NYPL’s other app Cloud Library, well today Libby tells me the book is no longer available and I’m 24th in line!   Grrrrrr!!!!

I am having the hardest time understanding how to do tags. It is a bit convoluted or there is a glitch. I even went to the help section and there is a list of about 15 directions to use it so I am leaning towards it needing to be less convoluted. I have about 15 books tagged and I don't even know if I did them properly because I haven't gotten a notice about any of them yet. I also don't like that the default is not to load directly to my Kindle but to my phone. I have to do extra steps to get it to my Kindle. 

I still have access so far to Overdrive but the library said it would be gone May 3rd. 

• Sad 3

I've been having really bad luck with delivery people/shoppers lately.  Yesterday was the UberEats guy (see above) and today?  Well, the Instacart shopper didn't inform me that he was going to replace not one, but TWO items.  Seriously, dude...(at least he dropped it off in the right building...a couple of weeks ago, I had one guy drop my order off not at another building in our complex, but to place about five blocks away).  

• Sad 4
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Supermarkets DO have the habit of pumping it up.

The coldest store around metro DC is Harris Teeter. I always buy ice cream there cause they really know how to keep their freezers ice cold. Plus, I always have a thin LL Bean "jacket" with me in warm weather as the whole store is cold (not complaining). HT is a southern (NC) supermarket chain so they know how to deal with hot summers. Just got home from gassing up my car and Harris Teeter. It's overcast but it got more & more humid. It's now 71% humidity. I felt like I was wading through the air in the parking lot as I pushed my cart to the car 🥵😖😵‍💫.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 7/14/2023 at 7:45 PM, JustHereForFood said:

I am strongly against anything that suppresses individuality, so school uniform would be a deal breaker for me, no matter how good a school is supposed to be.

I get that

But the other side to that is with a standard uniform one already has his or her clothes picked for them.  And they dont have to worry about looking cool or keeping up with the latest hot fad or what not with their appearance.  

I went to Catholic school for several years.  While overall not a fan the whole uniform thing didnt really bother me 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
2 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I get that

But the other side to that is with a standard uniform one already has his or her clothes picked for them.  And they dont have to worry about looking cool or keeping up with the latest hot fad or what not with their appearance.  

I went to Catholic school for several years.  While overall not a fan the whole uniform thing didnt really bother me 

Though there are definitely unwritten "rules" about uniforms, like what pieces are totally uncool to wear (like if you wear tights instead of knee socks (rolled down, of course) or your skirt too long.  Or a cardigan instead of a pullover).

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Though there are definitely unwritten "rules" about uniforms, like what pieces are totally uncool to wear (like if you wear tights instead of knee socks (rolled down, of course) or your skirt too long.  Or a cardigan instead of a pullover).

Where I went we had to buy tan pants from a specific company.  They were like uncomfortable as hell.  

So my mom bought me Dockers that looked just like this other brand and no one really noticed 😅.  it just ultimately came down to comfort 

• Like 2

I would've *loved* wearing a uniform each day, especially in high school. No need to worry if I'd already worn something earlier in the week & might mistakenly wear it again. And, of course, on Thursdays you had to be very careful not to wear two colors or kids would accuse you of being "different".  Teens need to focus on learning, not clothes, while in school. It would also be a lot easier on students who couldn't afford the latest fashions. I always envied the kids waiting for the bus to the Catholic h.s., wearing their smart looking uniforms.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

The coldest store around metro DC is Harris Teeter. I always buy ice cream there cause they really know how to keep their freezers ice cold. Plus, I always have a thin LL Bean "jacket" with me in warm weather as the whole store is cold (not complaining). HT is a southern (NC) supermarket chain so they know how to deal with hot summers. Just got home from gassing up my car and Harris Teeter. It's overcast but it got more & more humid. It's now 71% humidity. I felt like I was wading through the air in the parking lot as I pushed my cart to the car 🥵😖😵‍💫.

I always carry around a thin jacket like that. I call it my subway and supermarket sweater.  The NYC subways really crank up the AC too. No matter how hot it is outside. I have to put on the sweater in the subway car. 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I would've *loved* wearing a uniform each day, especially in high school. No need to worry if I'd already worn something earlier in the week & might mistakenly wear it again. And, of course, on Thursdays you had to be very careful not to wear two colors or kids would accuse you of being "different".  Teens need to focus on learning, not clothes, while in school. It would also be a lot easier on students who couldn't afford the latest fashions. I always envied the kids waiting for the bus to the Catholic h.s., wearing their smart looking uniforms.

I agree with Ian Malcomb who said that there are too many other things to think about than your clothing and that's why he always wore black

• Like 8
2 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Where I went we had to buy tan pants from a specific company.  They were like uncomfortable as hell.  

So my mom bought me Dockers that looked just like this other brand and no one really noticed 😅.  it just ultimately came down to comfort 

Same.  Ditto with my son's school.  And the company is in Montreal, so we need to buy online.  The sizes are ridiculously large compared to where we shop for his regular clothes!  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Same here.

• Like 4

I went to a Catholic school for girls in Germany. Our uniforms were skinny jeans, Adidas Allround high-tops (with white socks over the pants), and jeans jackets. It was the 80s, don't judge!

70`S / 80`S VINTAGE ADIDAS ALLROUND RETRO HI SHOES / HI TOPS

We had a sort of dress code though. No miniskirts and no tank tops. Sleeves of any length, and skirts/pants needed to cover the knees. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I always envied the kids waiting for the bus to the Catholic h.s., wearing their smart looking uniforms.

The boys in my Catholic school wore khaki pants and khaki shirts.  I found out later that the kids in the public school across the field thought they were prisoners.

I don't know if those kids got a good look at the girls--only boys were allowed to play in the field; girls had to play on the knee-eating asphalt.

• Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 2
(edited)

I wish I wore a uniform for school.

I got bullied for dressing wrong. We could not afford to dress me in the popular clothes/expensive sneakers.  I wore Payless shoes and got made fun of that so often. It still hurts. 

I remember babysitting for months and saving my $ for a pair of Nike sneakers. And kids still made fun of my shoes. I used to cry all the time.

People who bully others suck!

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 8
  • Applause 1
4 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I wish I wore a uniform for school.

I got bullied for dressing wrong. We could not afford to dress me in the popular clothes/expensive sneakers.  I wore Payless shoes and got made fun of that so often. It still hurts. 

I remember babysitting for months and saving my $ for a pair of Nike sneakers. And kids still made fun my shoes. I used to cry all the time.

People who bully others suck!

Let's hope the bullies received payback later on. I was bullied by a few mean girls (it was over boys from another school). Never went to any reunions, even when I finally had a nice husband to accompany me. That stuff stays with you, even if your life is fine. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 4

I don’t think bullies really get a comeuppance.  There’s this boy who was mean to me growing up and he’s now the coach of a college basketball team that made the March Madness playoffs this year, I loathe basketball so I don’t know exactly how far they made it but they were eventually eliminated. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 5
  • Sad 3
4 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Or driving your poor mother crazy insisting you need a new outfit every day of the week and spending ages in the morning deciding what to wear!  I had it both ways with my kids, depending on where we lived sometimes their school required a uniform and sometimes it didn't.  As a Mom I loved the schools with the uniforms.   I always laugh when I look back on the time my son was in a high school that required a blazer, tie and grey trousers.  He'd go off to school looking like Little Mr. Businessman while my husband was going out the door in jeans and a polo shirt (IT had gotten super casual by this point).

• Like 6
  • Wink 1
1 minute ago, Laura Holt said:

Or driving your poor mother crazy insisting you need a new outfit every day of the week and spending ages in the morning deciding what to wear!  I had it both ways with my kids, depending on where we lived sometimes their school required a uniform and sometimes it didn't.  As a Mom I loved the schools with the uniforms.   I always laugh when I look back on the time my son was in a high school that required a blazer, tie and grey trousers.  He'd go off to school looking like Little Mr. Businessman while my husband was going out the door in jeans and a polo shirt (IT had gotten super casual by this point).

My son’s school has both.  Regular uniform (polo shirt and dress pants) and first dress (tie, button down, dress pants and blazer).  And a gym uniform, of course.  

• Like 2

I got bullied for the clothes I wore in school, too - I was not a rich kid, didn't have Abercrombie & Fitch clothing, any of that stuff. I wore hand me downs and it absolutely showed. 

It definitely sucked, for sure, and affected me, too. Even then, though, I still would not want to wear a uniform. I still think it's weird to have kids all dressed exactly alike, and I don't think uniforms really address the issues involved with kids bullying each other (in my case, if it wasn't the clothing kids were teasing me for, it was other stuff). It seems like a band-aid for a deeper problem.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 3
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, partofme said:

I don’t think bullies really get a comeuppance.  There’s this boy who was mean to me growing up and he’s now the coach of a college basketball team that made the March Madness playoffs this year, I loathe basketball so I don’t know exactly how far they made it but they were eventually eliminated. 

Well at least it wasn't Dan Hurley then.  The Connecticut team won it all.  I mean I wouldn't say I'm a fan of his per say but he did deal with some heavy stuff when he was in college if you feel like reading about it

https://www.psychreg.org/dan-hurley-overcomes-personal-struggles-lead-uconn-huskies-final-four/

I was kind of glad for him in a way but yeah college basketball for the most part doesn't really appeal to me.  It takes much away from the non revenue or lower profile sports in college.  

8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Fellow HT customer as well. My gripe was the kid checking me out couldn’t be bothered to bag my groceries. Then the customer behind me got  annoyed because I couldn’t do it fast enough 😳

• Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 3