Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I have the opposite problem. I take a size 5 wide. My mom called them "my little duckies". So hard to find cute shoes.

I'm a 5.5 M. It used to be so hard to find shoes in my size. Now, I can find shoes easier (Nordstrom Rack, even Amazon) and my favorites, Tom's espadrilles. I must have at least 30! Take a 6 in New Balance. When I was in grade school, my mom had to special order my shoes at a shoe store in our town so I could wear the same cool shoes as the other girls in my class. I think that's why I've gone hog wild with shoes now.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
36 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm a 5.5 M. It used to be so hard to find shoes in my size. Now, I can find shoes easier (Nordstrom Rack, even Amazon) and my favorites, Tom's espadrilles. I must have at least 30! Take a 6 in New Balance. When I was in grade school, my mom had to special order my shoes at a shoe store in our town so I could wear the same cool shoes as the other girls in my class. I think that's why I've gone hog wild with shoes now.

I’m barely a 5 M which means everything is a hit or miss for me.  I take a 4.5 with brands like Stuart Weitzman and preordered at trunk shows back when they had more office/work appropriate shoes.  

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It's even worse if you have freakishly long legs like I do. That's why all my jeans are Levis. You can specify the length.

I don't know if my legs are freakishly long. That makes me think of George Clooney's ex (banging legs imo), but I'm 5'7" with longer legs and a small torso. I could never wear petite jeans (must be regular or long if I'm wearing heels), but I can easily wear petite tops. People who see me nearly six feet in a lot of shoes must think I'm shopping for someone else when I look in the petite section. I also have a small band size (30-32). Bra shopping isn't too difficult for me now, but if I were to ever get implants, it might get tricky if I just want to go Victoria's Secret.

3 hours ago, PRgal said:

You mean like a B on one side and a C on the other?  I suppose you could get it custom...with online shopping, maybe a brand could custom make someone a bra like that...

Ya. I could have sworn someone made an adjustable bra years ago. Few women are identical cup size and so many would benefit from this.

57 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Ya. I could have sworn someone made an adjustable bra years ago. Few women are identical cup size and so many would benefit from this.

I did a cursory internet search, and it seems customized bras with two different cup sizes are hard to come by and incredibly expensive; what's more common for those whose quite common asymmetry in breast size is, less commonly, significant enough to require two different cup sizes for each breast is a bra with a removable insert, where one buys the appropriate size for the larger breast and then removes the insert on the side of the smaller breast.  Truly customized fitting is still a luxury.  Women deserve better, at least half sizes like are available in shoes. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I did a cursory internet search, and it seems customized bras with two different cup sizes are hard to come by and incredibly expensive; what's more common for those whose quite common asymmetry in breast size is, less commonly, significant enough to require two different cup sizes for each breast is a bra with a removable insert, where one buys the appropriate size for the larger breast and then removes the insert on the side of the smaller breast.  Truly customized fitting is still a luxury.  Women deserve better, at least half sizes like are available in shoes. 

Remember the "pump"shoes from the 80s? We need that tech in bras. 

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I don't know if my legs are freakishly long. That makes me think of George Clooney's ex (banging legs imo), but I'm 5'7" with longer legs and a small torso. I could never wear petite jeans (must be regular or long if I'm wearing heels), but I can easily wear petite tops. People who see me nearly six feet in a lot of shoes must think I'm shopping for someone else when I look in the petite section. I also have a small band size (30-32). Bra shopping isn't too difficult for me now, but if I were to ever get implants, it might get tricky if I just want to go Victoria's Secret.

George Clooney’s ex?  I haven’t heard anything official. Unless you mean Talia Balsam. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I

At least I don't go nuts over people using "golf" as a verb. That drove my mom crazy. She'd say, "Well, one doesn't tennis so why should anyone say they golf?" (instead of play golf). We lived next door to a small country club in our town so golf was a frequent topic. Lots of vigorous debates re: vocabulary going on in my house 😆.

I said "play bowling" once and my friends have never let me forget it! But what is wrong with that? It makes sense to me!

You're so much like me. Anything that I can wear socks with, I'll just make life easy on myself and go for the 6. Sandals and flats, I need the 5.5. But maybe flats are not an issue anymore, considering the doctor's advice (basically try to avoid anything with a sole that is very flexible -- and pointy toes). Luckily, my favorites are chunky-soled boots (and I can probably get a new pair of T.U.K.s if I want flats -- no pointies, though, which makes me sad!).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1

Today's peeve: someone coming to my door to make a delivery and talking LOUDLY on their phone as they do it.  I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard two very loud male voices at my door.  I guess, realistically, home invaders/would be robbers aren't going to announce their presence but still!

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
9 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Today's peeve: someone coming to my door to make a delivery and talking LOUDLY on their phone as they do it.  I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard two very loud male voices at my door.  I guess, realistically, home invaders/would be robbers aren't going to announce their presence but still!

I've been hearing more and more women saying that when they order Lyft or Uber or whatever, the drivers are being presented as female but when they show up, they are invariably male.

• Mind Blown 10
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I've been hearing more and more women saying that when they order Lyft or Uber or whatever, the drivers are being presented as female but when they show up, they are invariably male.

How can you know?  They might identify as female.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Katy M said:

How can you know?  They might identify as female.

A woman requesting a female driver is doing so for her own peace of mind and sense of safety.  These companies know that.  If they are sending a man, or someone who identifies as female but looks male, they are doing this in direct contradiction to the request of their customer.  If they can't fulfil the request as made then they need to be upfront about it.  I absolutely do not blame any woman who does not want to get into a car with a strange man.  We live in crappy, crappy times.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Were they on speaker?  That's the WORST!  

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

A woman requesting a female driver is doing so for her own peace of mind and sense of safety.  These companies know that.  If they are sending a man, or someone who identifies as female but looks male, they are doing this in direct contradiction to the request of their customer.  If they can't fulfil the request as made then they need to be upfront about it.  I absolutely do not blame any woman who does not want to get into a car with a strange man.  We live in crappy, crappy times.

I haven't taken Uber or Lyft since 2020 and just did a quick Google search. It doesn't seem like you can specify the gender of your driver (in the states). Are they outside of the US? If they are in the states how are they requesting a female driver?

• Useful 1

A woman requesting a female driver is doing so for her own peace of mind and sense of safety.  These companies know that.  If they are sending a man, or someone who identifies as female but looks male, they are doing this in direct contradiction to the request of their customer. 

I don't know if Lyft or Uber "sends" anyone, at least not in the way that a limo or cab company does; I believe it's the drivers themselves who choose to take a job. I am not sure that Lyft/Uber gets involved, per se, until/unless/after there's a concern or problem.

And now that I think about this more. how is Lyft or Uber supposed to address, much less enforce gender-related concerns? Isn't that kind of employee info only documented if the employee chooses to answer the question? I have been looking for work and I don't have to answer anything about that or race. 

I'm mostly thinking out loud here; I am sure I could look up all this stuff. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm mostly thinking out loud here; I am sure I could look up all this stuff. 

I just did and it looks like this is an option in some countries but not in Canada - not sure about the US.  In reading a bit more it was an eye opener - the worry does cut both ways.  Women who drive for Uber would appreciate not having to pick up a bunch of drunken men at midnight.  Apparently there are safety features to try and track customers and keep the drivers safe but they don't always work.  

Anyway my point still stands, if the dispatcher tells the customer they'll send a woman and they don't that's pretty crappy.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 2/25/2023 at 11:19 AM, Elizabeth Anne said:

Contrarians.  My cousin has to disagree just for the fun (I guess) of taking the opposite side. 

My boss does this. In many ways, it's just his way of thinking things through. Meaning he takes the opposite side and then starts trying to figure out if it makes sense for him to take the opposite side. Sometimes he says no, and then tells you that the right thing is exactly what you just said. Heh.

But in many other ways, it makes a lot of people annoyed. My daughter for most of her life initiated every response with "no", so I get it pretty much everywhere I go.

As for random nicknames for family, the ONLY one that bothers me (and it bothers me a lot) is when I hear "the wife". 

Dude. No.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

And now that I think about this more. how is Lyft or Uber supposed to address, much less enforce gender-related concerns? Isn't that kind of employee info only documented if the employee chooses to answer the question?

Excuse me, ma'am, but rideshare drivers are independent contractors, not employees, and anybody in the U.S. who tries to make them employees will suffer the wrath of Uber, Lyft, DoorDash, et al.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

And now that I think about this more. how is Lyft or Uber supposed to address, much less enforce gender-related concerns? I

Wouldn't a car driving service need to see a copy of driver's license?  that would have their legal (but not necessarily bio) gender on it.

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Excuse me, ma'am, but rideshare drivers are independent contractors, not employees, and anybody in the U.S. who tries to make them employees will suffer the wrath of Uber, Lyft, DoorDash, et al.

Oh boy—I take it all back! I hope they didn’t somehow know I did that, lest I find myself carless and/or drunk somewhere! (Dare I dream…)

• LOL 2
On 2/24/2023 at 9:13 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I must be barefoot in the house. 

I can't stand wearing shoes in the house.  When I come in, the first thing I do is kick off my shoes at the kitchen door.  I go barefoot most of the year, but wear slipper socks in the winter (I have hardwood floors and they can get cold, even with the heat on...and I tend to keep my heat turned down kind of low as well so the house stays cool). I also have two cats that have decided in their geriatric years that they must stay underfoot as much as possible.  It's much easier to avoid stepping on a paw or a tail when you can 'feel' it before you put much weight down.

Pet peeve of the day:  Unseasonable weather!  I know that some parts of the country are too cold, but here in the south it's gotten way too warm.  I actually had to turn on the A/C just now.  In flippin' February! (I can usually put off turning on the central air until at least late March or even April some years).  The house wasn't really that hot, but it felt humid, so I set it for 77 just to get some of the moisture out.  We do have a 'cold' front coming through late next week (50s at night, 60s during the day), and I don't expect the air to kick on much during the next few days, but it still ticks me off.  It's not even spring yet, dagnabit! 

• Like 2

Pet peeve of the day:  Unseasonable weather!  I know that some parts of the country are too cold, but here in the south it's gotten way too warm.  I actually had to turn on the A/C just now.  In flippin' February! (I can usually put off turning on the central air until at least late March or even April some years).  The house wasn't really that hot, but it felt humid, so I set it for 77 just to get some of the moisture out.  We do have a 'cold' front coming through late next week (50s at night, 60s during the day), and I don't expect the air to kick on much during the next few days, but it still ticks me off.  It's not even spring yet, dagnabit! 

Thursday night I had to put the ceiling fan on as it was 82 during the day. Overnight the temp dropped down to 32 degrees. The daffodils are blooming, flowering trees are blooming, and it's still February. I can't stand it😠

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

I agree with you folks re the too warm weather.   Here is New York City tonight it is finally snowing more than .4 (or less than half) of an inch for the first time all season!  We may make it to 3 or so inches.  That is so obviously not normal.    Being so far above the norm for an extended time in the winter is just not a good thing.  Our climate has gotten so far out of wack in so few years.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Stacy Keibler

I don't remember seeing a gender option for Uber or Lyft. 

It's not an option, it's the thumbnail pic and the name. If the app says something like "Sadie will pick you up in 15 minutes" and Billy Bob shows up, it's a bit disconcerting.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Stacy Keibler

Ah!  George Clooney has had MANY exes, if you count the non marriages!  I wasn't aware of Keibler's leg repulation.  Amal Clooney has long legs too, so I was worried they were getting a divorce. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Ah!  George Clooney has had MANY exes, if you count the non marriages!  I wasn't aware of Keibler's leg repulation.  Amal Clooney has long legs too, so I was worried they were getting a divorce. 

Sorry about that! I guess George is a leg guy. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
32 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It's not an option, it's the thumbnail pic and the name. If the app says something like "Sadie will pick you up in 15 minutes" and Billy Bob shows up, it's a bit disconcerting.

Yeah, the gender thing is not specifically an issue for me, but not getting what you are supposed to -- without any kind of advance notice --  is.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
12 hours ago, roseha said:

I agree with you folks re the too warm weather.   Here is New York City tonight it is finally snowing more than .4 (or less than half) of an inch for the first time all season!  We may make it to 3 or so inches.  That is so obviously not normal.    Being so far above the norm for an extended time in the winter is just not a good thing.  Our climate has gotten so far out of wack in so few years.

I had a slippery time of it walking my dog this morning! 

• Hugs 1

Today's peeve:  people who are in pain, bitch about being in pain, but do nothing to try to mitigate their pain.  Sometimes there really is nothing you can do, I get that, but most of the time there is.  Some people (one in particular who shall remain nameless in the interest of family harmony)  just prefer to suffer, apparently.  

• Useful 1

I know someone with a hernia still shovels the snow off her steps instead of the guy who plows her driveway. Complains every winter. Likes to hear herself talk I suppose. 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Today's peeve:  people who are in pain, bitch about being in pain, but do nothing to try to mitigate their pain.  Sometimes there really is nothing you can do, I get that, but most of the time there is.  Some people (one in particular who shall remain nameless in the interest of family harmony)  just prefer to suffer, apparently.  

Chronic complaining will most definitely eat up any sympathy from others about one's chronic pain.

As for sometimes there is nothing you can do: I twisted my stupid knee (the smart one is fine) a few months ago. I just limped around until it got better. I wrapped it when it hurt more than usual. I iced it. I took ibuprofen. At one point my daughter said to me, maybe you should go to a doctor. 

I told her that the last time something like this happened to me, when I hurt my elbow splitting firewood, the doctor told me "This is because you're old. Ice it. Take some ibuprofen, and give it some rest." So I'm just saving the co-pay and doing that again.

• Like 10
On 2/8/2023 at 7:16 PM, CarpeFelis said:

I’d say not only are they less conflicted, but they generally feel entitled to whatever job opportunity they want to take (thanks, patriarchy *raspberry*). They also usually have a wife, a nanny, or both.

The men I know well don't feel this way - they discuss opportunities with their partners; they compromise; they're not misogynistic jerks; they are prepared to make changes if opportunities arise for their partners; and I don't know anyone with a nanny.  I'm sorry you don't seem to have people like this in your life.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, roseha said:

Did you have pretty snowflakes, softly falling? Yes, we've needed a number of deep freezes to take care of insects & whatever else a good frost takes care of. We had one snowfall in the Metro DC area this winter. It was overnight & just sitting on rooftops, lawns & shrubs in the AM. Gone by afternoon ☹️.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Did you have pretty snowflakes, softly falling? Yes, we've needed a number of deep freezes to take care of insects & whatever else a good frost takes care of. We had one snowfall in the Metro DC area this winter. It was overnight & just sitting on rooftops, lawns & shrubs in the AM. Gone by afternoon ☹️.

Yes although it was at night and I didn't see it in person :)  I could see it on the Bryant Park Skate Webcam though! 

I do think about the frost and insects also, I don't know want them coming back any sooner than they have to.  Some people forget that warm winters will turn into very hot summers.

• Like 2
(edited)
22 minutes ago, roseha said:

I do think about the frost and insects also

I've been reminding my husband of this all winter, when he celebrates the warmer than usual weather. We need the freeze to control the insect population and the cycle of such things.  I personally don't consider this winter as being the new norm, as we've had plenty of warmer than usual winters in my lifetime, mixed in with unusually cold and snowy.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 2
(edited)

Candy Crush.  My not so secret addiction.  But my peeve is I've reached a level where I don't see how I can possibly beat it without breaking down and buying some extra moves.  Which I refuse to do.  I'll keep trying now and then for that "lucky board" and I imagine eventually CC will relent.  But in the meantime I am peeved at myself for still playing this stupid game and also peeved at the creators for so obviously creating boards where they know people who've gotten this far along the Candy Crush trail will break down and spend money.  First world problem for sure!

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Charging cords for phones that last 2 weeks if that. I’m so tired of buying cords! 

I bought a charging cord over a year ago at Best Buy. The guy said it would be a fast charge and he was right.  It's still working. I think it only cost $10 or $12, not positive but it wasn't a lot.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I bought a charging cord over a year ago at Best Buy. The guy said it would be a fast charge and he was right.  It's still working. I think it only cost $10 or $12, not positive but it wasn't a lot.

I have several charging cords I ordered from Amazon years ago (2018 and 2019, thanks, order history!) for my Galaxy phones that are still going strong. 

For anyone looking - here they are.

• Like 2

That’s amazing! Longest a cord lasted me was 2 months maybe lol. 

• Mind Blown 3

Turning nouns into verbs.  I've got used to "gift" as a verb, though I still dislike it, but today I saw "office" used a a verb, as in "They don't have a staff that might office there."  I wanted to poke my eyes out. 

• Mind Blown 3
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, Leeds said:

Turning nouns into verbs.  I've got used to "gift" as a verb, though I still dislike it, but today I saw "office" used a a verb, as in "They don't have a staff that might office there."  I wanted to poke my eyes out. 

Sheesh. I remember when I first heard that stupid new Hollywood phrase, "take a meeting" and thought *that* was bizarre. I forgot about gift as a verb--probably because it's used so often now. 

• Like 3

I forgot about gift as a verb--probably because it's used so often now. 

Gift as a verb has been around since the 17th century.  So it's not incorrect, but its current popularity is a peeve of mine.  "I gifted ..." results in an immediate mental response of "No, motherfucker, you gave" before I check myself.  I'm getting there.

• Like 10

Pet peeve #692: My lack of self control inside World Market.  I went there today because it's the only affordable source I can find for Haywards pickled onions, without which my life lacks meaning.  "Two jars of pickles only, two jars of pickles only," I said to myself as I went in.  Some time later I staggered out under the weight of around $100 worth of goodies.  I am currently snacking on Biscoff cookies.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, Leeds said:

Pet peeve #692: My lack of self control inside World Market.  I went there today because it's the only affordable source I can find for Haywards pickled onions, without which my life lacks meaning.  "Two jars of pickles only, two jars of pickles only," I said to myself as I went in.  Some time later I staggered out under the weight of around $100 worth of goodies.  I am currently snacking on Biscoff cookies.

That’s me in Trader Joe’s. That’s why I refuse to go there anymore lol.

• Wink 2
  • LOL 2