Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers With Speculation

SueB
Message added by ohjoy

Please keep your speculation and comments on the end of Supernatural in the Supernatural Ending topic. Use this topic here or the Bitter Speculation topic for discussion of the upcoming season only. As always, keep Bitch vs. Jerk discussion in its own topic.

Thank you.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

True but, who knows maybe the scene goes on with Dean grabbing the pie as soon as Sam leaves the room. Or keeps eyeing up the pie for the rest of the scene

That's not what I meant. I'm saying they can't really go back to the 10 year long running gag of Sam, specifically, not bringing Dean pie regardless of Dean eating said pie.  At least not for me. To me, Dean getting his pie from Sam is something that happens when the show is actually ending.  OH NOESS!!!!

Edited by catrox14

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/11/supernatural-episode-1207-rock-never.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So I guess Lucifer and his vessel got out of the ocean....:/

“Rock Never Dies” — (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DLV) (HDTV)

RICK SPRINGFIELD ROCKS OUT AS LUCIFER – Lucifer (Rick Springfield) realizes that as rock star Vince Vincente, he can get his fans to do whatever he wants. Thrilled with this power, Lucifer arranges to play a secret VIP concert in order to kill all of them. Sam (Jared Padalecki), Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Castiel (Misha Collins) enter the underbelly of the music industry to try to stop him. Eduardo Sanchez directed the episode written by Robert Berens (1207). Original airdate 12/1/2016.

• Love 2

Okay, I'm down with the concept of this episode because that makes sense to me. It remains to be seen if it will make sense how he got from the bottom of the ocean and back onstage. Why didn't they just do this to begin with instead of all the nonsense with Rowena in The Foundry? This show, I tell ya!

Edited by DittyDotDot

Why didn`t Lucifer just drink demon blood again? The Nick vessel lasted for months on end without any visible beauty effects. Yet in Season 12 he bitched about it after basically two days or so. 

Also a bit odd that Lucifer finally catches on to celeb = power (why did he possess a celeb vessel in the first place if not for that?) and then he plans to use this power for... having his followers killed or kill themselves. Smart, dude, real smart. Not.

That said, it could be a decent episode. Usually the real team-ups with Castiel, not the "revolving door Cas" eps, work well for me. Which makes it always so annoying when right afterwards they invent stupid reason number 578 why Cas needs to go again. I get the power level concerns but that can be worked around. This show just never gives a changed dynamic a shot. Not even try and fail, they just never even try. It`s two to three eps at most and then we`re back to status quo.   

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Also a bit odd that Lucifer finally catches on to celeb = power (why did he possess a celeb vessel in the first place if not for that?) and then he plans to use this power for... having his followers killed or kill themselves. Smart, dude, real smart. Not.

I think the idea is like with the pagan Gods. Sacrifice is needed with the worship in order to use the power. I dunno?

21 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Which makes it always so annoying when right afterwards they invent stupid reason number 578 why Cas needs to go again. I get the power level concerns but that can be worked around. This show just never gives a changed dynamic a shot. Not even try and fail, they just never even try. It`s two to three eps at most and then we`re back to status quo.

I think you can probably blame me and viewers similar to me for that. I like the status quo and I'm relatively indifferent to Castiel.  I do believe he should've been gone a long time ago, but I'm also okay with him popping in from time to time. I don't like how the story is all choppy when they do that, but other fans love him and I don't want to deny them one of their favorite characters. 

However, if he were added on a permanent basis to change the brother dynamic, I'd be gone. The writers might think there are a large enough contingent of viewers who feel this way, so they are reluctant to make that leap. It makes sense for them to be cautious about alienating a faction of the fan base that has gotten them to twelve years. 

I think the idea is like with the pagan Gods. Sacrifice is needed with the worship in order to use the power. I dunno?

I would get sacrifice but use your followers to sacrifice non-followers first, you know? Like dude, keep a pack of toadies around for leg work  just in case. Even Darth Vader never killed the entirety for the Empire fleet just for being stupid.  

However, if he were added on a permanent basis to change the brother dynamic

It`s not just Cas, they never try anything. Even at the start of Season 8, they were too chicken-shit to tell the storylines, Purgatory and Earth, in real-time and relegated it to short flashbacks so the status quo remained the same. And I believe Mary needed to be gone for the same reason.     

It makes sense for them to be cautious about alienating a faction of the fan base that has gotten them to twelve years. 

IMO the majority of viewership for shows in general are casual viewers. Even for genre shows. And this show lends itself to it because it isn`t all that serialized in the end. So I`m not convinced adding some variety after 12 years would be a horrible disaster. At this point, they have enough material they could probably get away with piecing "new" episodes together by using stock footage from old ones. And it wouldn`t even be too noticeable. 

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

I would get sacrifice but use your followers to sacrifice non-followers first, you know? Like dude, keep a pack of toadies around for leg work  just in case. Even Darth Vader never killed the entirety for the Empire fleet just for being stupid.  

But, the more sacrifices, the more power. He already has demons to do his leg work and getting more powerful would probably trump having errand boys.

You do bring up a good point about the demon blood. I hope it's a conscious choice the show made in recognizing the idea was rather nonsensical the first time around, but my realistic side realizes it's more likely the show forgot about this altogether.

I don't understand what Lucifer is trying to accomplish other than trying to rule the Earth again and destroy humanity.  He never cared about being worshiped. Why would he now?

2 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

hy didn`t Lucifer just drink demon blood again? The Nick vessel lasted for months on end without any visible beauty effects. Yet in Season 12 he bitched about it after basically two days or so

This was my question.  He has no reason to not do that.

2 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I don't understand what Lucifer is trying to accomplish other than trying to rule the Earth again and destroy humanity.  He never cared about being worshiped. Why would he now?

I don't think it's for the simple adoration--although I'm sure that holds a certain charm for him too--I'm guessing he's trying to power up like the pagan gods do. 

6 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

I don't think it's for the simple adoration--although I'm sure that holds a certain charm for him too--I'm guessing he's trying to power up like the pagan gods do. 

No, I don't think it's about adoration per se either.  The worship seems to be the cornerstone of the synopsis, which yes I KNOW synopses are crap, but it's also something Dabb has talked about as well, so it seems important.

As to him powering up, like Aeryn said, he can drink the blood of his demon minions.  Having Lucifer be in rock star though, makes me think maybe Lucifer will record a song that acts like a mind-control thing that gets all of Vincifer's  fans to say yes to him so he'll have perpetual consent.  

I don't think all the drops about Sam's psychic abilities and Lucifer struggling to keep a vessel is for nothing. I'm still thinking this is leading to Apocalpyse 2.0

6 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

As to him powering up, like Aeryn said, he can drink the blood of his demon minions.  

Drinking demon blood isn't real power. It allows his vessel to be stronger, but doesn't actually make Lucifer any more powerful, and it's only a band aid. Nick only lasted a few months with all the demon blood drinking. It seems like Lucifer is looking for a more long-term solution with the worship and sacrifice to make him more powerful.

It's really funny to me that I finally got around to reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods recently. Sounds like Lucifer may have too. ;)

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Drinking demon blood isn't real power. It

Poor choice of words on my part. What I meant is that it would keep Vince the  vessel last longer. He wouldn't need to hop vessel to vessel like he is now as much as he is.  He can keep the vessels longer by drinking the demon blood.  

He could have tried it with demons. As their "God" and creator, he might have had a decent shot - I think it is actually why he created a race in the first place, to stick it to Daddy and show him he could accomplish just as much. But one thing that remains relatively consistent about him is his dismissal of demons. He may use them every now and then but he sees no worth in his creation. Not even to worship him. It probably makes him feel even more like a fuck-up.

Angelic worship, becoming the king of Heaven, would probably work for him but he has no idea how to go about achieving it. That leaves humans.

In general, though, I`m not sure that it works for Lucifer the same way that it works for Pagan Gods. The show never said that Chuck was significantly de-powered and lots of people don`t believe in him/stopped believing. To me, they established a certain lore that works kinda like a tulpa for the Pagan Gods but not for the mythological figures of the bible they tackled. They are at a certain power level and stay there, no matter what they do. Noone really believed in Amara and she still retained her power level, too.  

That`s why I had to laugh so hard last Season about anyone believing Lucifer could handle Amara. Then okay, he actually meant he would look for some deus ex machina weapons to help him. That made more sense. I think Lucifer might artifically raise his natural power level by phsyically consuming a few souls - just not longterm - but all in all he always stay at "archangel". Even if the entire world worshipped him. 

• Love 1

SPNBur spoilers: The episode they're filming right now (the one previously compared to Yellow Fever) is:

1. The most challenging acting for S12 - per Jensen BurCon Gold Panel Video  (note, I linked video but it didn't work)

2. A funny script - per Jensen on BurCon GoldPanel video
3. "kind of a de-aging dean" - FangasmSPN Afternoon panel tweet

Edited by SueB
Just now, SueB said:

nd of a de-aging dean" - FangasmSPN Afternoon panel tweet

Hmm, thus far he's been shapeshifter, frightened!Dean, future!Dean, dog!Dean, MoC!Dean and Demon!Dean. .

I was going with mute Dean which still could happen, but I'm gonna put dark horse bet out there that he plays a female version of himself. 

22 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

but I'm gonna put dark horse bet out there that he plays a female version of himself. 

Oh god I hope not - that could be so cheesy. Like Mel Gibson in What Women Want. He didn't actually become a woman, but I distinctly remember him shaving his legs. Cheesy.

Just now, DittyDotDot said:

I understand it was spec and it makes sense if Jensen is saying it's a acting challenge. 

Well @catrox14 correctly intimated that from the last convention we had a tidbit suggesting that he was going to have trouble communicating. De-aging Dean might help.  Of course, if it's Jensen Ackles the actor, then that would mean a mental de-aging.  Weird.

• Love 1
Just now, SueB said:

Well @catrox14 correctly intimated that from the last convention we had a tidbit suggesting that he was going to have trouble communicating. De-aging Dean might help.  Of course, if it's Jensen Ackles the actor, then that would mean a mental de-aging.  Weird.

I'm trying to figure how that could work, and I'm thinking maybe it's a spell where Dean can only speak using baby talk and Sam has to try and translate or something?

56 minutes ago, SueB said:

SPNBur spoilers: The episode they're filming right now (the one previously compared to Yellow Fever) is:

1. The most challenging acting for S12 - per Jensen BurCon Gold Panel Video  (note, I linked video but it didn't work)

2. A funny script - per Jensen on BurCon GoldPanel video
3. "kind of a de-aging dean" - FangasmSPN Afternoon panel tweet

Again?  So kind of About A Boy, but more like Swap Meat?  (Except the youngster in adult Dean is young Dean.)

Frankly, that sounds rather cringe-worthy to me.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:
16 hours ago, SueB said:

I'm going with either baby or toddler Dean

But still in Dean's (or Jensen's) grown up body, I presume?

16 hours ago, SueB said:

Yes .. again, just speculating on the spoilers.

Maybe they're gonna make Dean's soul go back in time to the time he was 4 years old while the actual 4 year old Dean soul will go forward in time and will be in grown up Dean's body.

When Dean was 4 years old his mother died and he stopped talking for a while, so that would explain why he's not going to be communicating with Sam. It would also make an interesting  way for the writers to make Mary (and Sam even) see what it was like for Dean right after she died.

Edited by goldy
  • Love 2

For the poster above, Mel Gibson didn't become a woman in What Women Want.  He was struck by lightening and could read women's minds.  He was an ad exec and so tried the waxing product on a portion of his leg, and after ripping off the gauze wondered why women ever did that twice. IMO, that was a great movie, brought down only by Helen Hunt's wooden acting.

I didn't think JA did such a great job as scared Dean in Yellow Fever.  It was just too silly.  I am hoping we get something juvenile, but not ridiculous, such as twelve year old Dean in regular Dean's body.  Dean is so MATURE, it is hard to now imagine that he was ever a fun-loving younger man.  I know, he's had a hard life, but when he was twenty-six, when we first met him, he found JOY in life.  That quality has been missing for a long time, Hitler kill-shot notwithstanding. I am ready for a smile or two before this show bows out.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, goldy said:

Maybe they're gonna make Dean's soul go back in time to the time he was 4 years old while the actual 4 year old Dean soul will go forward in time and will be in grown up Dean's body.

When Dean was 4 years old his mother died and he stopped talking for a while, so that would explain why he's not going to be communicating with Sam. It would also make an interesting  way for the writers to make Mary (and Sam even) see what it was like for Dean right after she died.

Interesting thought.  It would also serve as a bridge between Mary and her "lost" toddler Dean...she can get him back again (even if in an oversized body) but he'll still be the Dean she remembers.  And if he then ages forward (instead of just poof! he's back) she can actually sort-of-watch his childhood progress so she can get to see him grow up.  That might be interesting, and it might work to allow her to accept him as her son.  Hmmm.  

4 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Interesting thought.  It would also serve as a bridge between Mary and her "lost" toddler Dean...she can get him back again (even if in an oversized body) but he'll still be the Dean she remembers.  And if he then ages forward (instead of just poof! he's back) she can actually sort-of-watch his childhood progress so she can get to see him grow up.  That might be interesting, and it might work to allow her to accept him as her son.  Hmmm.  

IF this comes about because Dean volunteers for it, fine. Thus far, based on the tidbits we've gotten it sounds like it's coming about through something unexpected and sudden which sounds like probably not with Dean's consent.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's something like Dean is sitting in his room, looking at pictures of him and Mary  and feeling a gamut of emotions, and has one little moment wherein he thinks "I wish we could just go back" and POOF, he's a 4 year old. Unintended consequences.

I still have a head!canon that Dean is in the Empty and has been for a long time and this is some journey for him to accept his own death or something. I dunno.

^Yeah, I don't think it's something Dean would volunteer for. It's definitely something unexpected.

Do you guys remember if either Jensen or Jared said that this episode suppose to be funny? because if it is then my theory doesn't stand as I can think of nothing sadder than little 4 years old Dean all grief stricken about his mother's death that he can't even speak.

I'm assuming Dean wouldn't/hadn't volunteered.  I'm also assuming it wasn't anything Mary asked for either, just an unexpected whammy.  And yes, I did read that they are playing it for laughs, which I'm not wild about, but I'm going to assume (for the purpose of my theory) that it was *before* Mary died and so he isn't traumatized; I'd like him to be the same happy 4-year-old that Mary remembers and maybe get a more "normal" (though highly accelerated) childhood. But that requires an awful lot of faith in the writers/showrunner, which I don't have at the moment.  In the past, there could have been a good balance between the humor of the situation and the underlying sadness to add poignancy.  IMO, that kind of subtlety seems to have disappeared quite a few years ago.  

And, much as I love Jensen and think he's wonderful at angst and even casual throwaway humor, I think he too often goes way too broad in comedy which ends up borderline or completely OOC.  There are way too many ways this can go bad.  JMO.

Edited by ahrtee
clarifying
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

And, much as I love Jensen and think he's wonderful at angst and even casual throwaway humor, I think he too often goes way too broad in comedy which ends up borderline or completely OOC.  There are way too many ways this can go bad.  JMO.

I thought the best moments of Yellow Fever were Dean's slow decent into real terror by the end. I loved his dawning awareness that things were wrong i.e. Dean's sidestepping something; putting his hand on Sam ever so slightly when they passed people Dean didn't know; his earnest worry about the kids down the block so he walked on the other side; Dean's loss of appetite even for pie; him not being able to stay on the 3rd floor; his speech to Sam when he was just done with it all was perfect. All of those moments along with it morphing into Dean's legit horror when he hallucinated Lilith and Sam being Yellow Eyes are the strongest part of Jensen's work in Yellow Fever for me far more than the cat scream which I blame on the director who wanted Jensen to go as big and loud as he could. 

If the script is good and Jensen and the director hold back from going TOO broad, it can probably work.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, goldy said:

^Yeah, I don't think it's something Dean would volunteer for. It's definitely something unexpected.

Do you guys remember if either Jensen or Jared said that this episode suppose to be funny? because if it is then my theory doesn't stand as I can think of nothing sadder than little 4 years old Dean all grief stricken about his mother's death that he can't even speak.

I believe it's supposed to be comedic.

I'm thinking of it being something like that Smallville episode--sorry, I suck at remembering episode titles for most shows--where a kid got "grown up" physically, but mentally was still a kid. So, the kid was acting like a kid, but everyone around him saw him as an adult and reacted to him as such. I dunno, not enough to fully make an assessment on yet.

Maybe it'll be like the movie, Big.

3 hours ago, ahrtee said:

Yeah, I agree.

• Love 4

Were we actually given any indication that Dean was de-aging, or is this all speculation.  Personally, I have no desire to see Dean act like a 4 year old, so I'm really hoping that's not it.  I have no clue what it might be though. We've already seen him act like a dog, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

4 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

Were we actually given any indication that Dean was de-aging, or is this all speculation.  Personally, I have no desire to see Dean act like a 4 year old, so I'm really hoping that's not it.  I have no clue what it might be though. We've already seen him act like a dog, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Jensen said it himself at the con this weekend

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

It's mostly just spec based on comments Jensen has made at the last few cons. No age has been given, but I believe he said it's a kind of de-aging Dean episode. But since Jensen said it was a big acting challenge for him, so I'm assuming it's not Dylan Everett playing a younger Dean, but Dean is either mentally de-aged or body swapped like Sam was in Swap Meat. I'm kinda leaning towards the mentally de-aged since they haven't done that before.

It all depends on what the show does with it, for me. I'm generally not a fan of time travel episodes, but I think the show pulled those off well and surprised me. So I'm willing to give it a watch before I decide.

Do we know who is writing it yet? That will make a big difference, I think.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

Just a thought...Jensen said "de-aging" not "de-aged."  I wonder if it's going to be an ongoing de-aging?  He's (mentally) getting younger and they have to find a way to stop it before he turns into a gamete.  That would certainly be a challenge for Jensen--to get younger incrementally during the episode while still staying Dean.  

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

It's mostly just spec based on comments Jensen has made at the last few cons. No age has been given, but I believe he said it's a kind of de-aging Dean episode. But since Jensen said it was a big acting challenge for him, so I'm assuming it's not Dylan Everett playing a younger Dean, but Dean is either mentally de-aged or body swapped like Sam was in Swap Meat. I'm kinda leaning towards the mentally de-aged since they haven't done that before.

It all depends on what the show does with it, for me. I'm generally not a fan of time travel episodes, but I think the show pulled those off well and surprised me. So I'm willing to give it a watch before I decide.

Do we know who is writing it yet? That will make a big difference, I think.

Have to say, this episode so far is not filling me with awe.  Pencil me in as "undecided".

I'll try to reserve judgment until the show airs, but the writing so far this season has not exactly filled me with confidence that they'll be able to pull something like this off.  I have faith that Jensen can do it, but the idea of watching him turn into a toddler isn't exactly making me eager for this episode.  I'm hoping that the description sounds worse than it is.  I really don't want too many more disappointing episodes this season.  I was very excited about the "back to basics" theme, but so far, it's not really doing it for me.

10 hours ago, MysteryGuest said:

I'll try to reserve judgment until the show airs, but the writing so far this season has not exactly filled me with confidence that they'll be able to pull something like this off.  I have faith that Jensen can do it, but the idea of watching him turn into a toddler isn't exactly making me eager for this episode.  I'm hoping that the description sounds worse than it is.  I really don't want too many more disappointing episodes this season.  I was very excited about the "back to basics" theme, but so far, it's not really doing it for me.

If they play it serious it could be good-but funny...I don't know.

1 hour ago, Boopsahoy said:

If they play it serious it could be good-but funny...I don't know.

Personally, I hope they walk a line between the comedy and the dramatic, but they haven't done that so well for some many years. It's either a "funny" one or a full-on melodrama. If they find the right balance, I think it could work quite nicely, but a lot of it depends on how much vision they have for the episode ahead of time. If they're just leaving it up to Jensen to make it work, it probably won't. And, that's not because I don't trust Jensen to do something with it, but if no one else is holding up their end too... .

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

Personally, I hope they walk a line between the comedy and the dramatic, but they haven't done that so well for some many years. It's either a "funny" one or a full-on melodrama. If they find the right balance, I think it could work quite nicely, but a lot of it depends on how much vision they have for the episode ahead of time. 

I'm reminded of Hunteri Heroici here.  The episode could have been utterly ridiculous, but I thought they managed to balance the wackiness and the drama quite well.  (Except for the Amelia parts.  The episode would be near-perfect for me if those were removed.)

In the end, we had a genuinely moving moment that offset the absurdity of the cartoon hijinks.  It was a Dabb episode, so I hope he still has it in him for this upcoming episode.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Demented Daisy said:

I'm reminded of Hunteri Heroici here.  The episode could have been utterly ridiculous, but I thought they managed to balance the wackiness and the drama quite well.  (Except for the Amelia parts.  The episode would be near-perfect for me if those were removed.)

In the end, we had a genuinely moving moment that offset the absurdity of the cartoon hijinks.  It was a Dabb episode, so I hope he still has it in him for this upcoming episode.

Hunter Herocici is a great example of balancing the humor and the horror. And actually, I think Yellow Fever --which was a Dabb episode too (with Loflin, of course) struck a nice balance too. I have other issues with the episode, but I felt like they did a nice job of showing Dean's fears were increasingly less funny as the episode went along.  

Seriously, do we know who is writing it? I kinda hope it's a Berens episode; he usually finds a way to ground the concept with the characters nicely. Any of the new writers would be hard to call at this point, but heaven help us if it's a Horrible Duo episode. 

• Love 2

From the vibe I`m getting from interviews, it will just be a broad comedy, at least where Dean`s character is concerned. I`m not even sure Sam Smith is in the episode so it probably has no Mary connections. 

Mental regression/de-aging, I expect them to go the full nine yards, up to and including poop/diaper humour because babies of course need diapers and if grown Dean is regressed that far, they will go there. I`m cringing at the entire idea. If there are profound moments in this episode, then surely not about/for/with Dean. He is probably gonna take the goofy clownish part. In fact, it does sound worse than Yellow Fever because while being overly "cowardly" looks ridiculous in a grown man. Baby talk and baby needs will look tenfold more humiliating.  

I'm reminded of Hunteri Heroici here.  The episode could have been utterly ridiculous, but I thought they managed to balance the wackiness and the drama quite well. 

In Hunter Heroici or what was the one where they stumbled into "real life"? French Mistake? The wackiness came from the situation. The premise of this episode focuses the wackiness on one character and have something "funny" happen to him. 

I`d despair if it was a Dabb episode because I hate his writing for Dean`s character. If he did it with Sam, then sure, I`d expect Dabb to protect the character integrity but not with Dean. At this point, the Duo episodes are actually genuinely among the best for Dean`s character. At least last and this Season. Maybe they aren`t good overall but some of the best Dean moments are in them IMO, Like this year, he had his real "smart" moment in ep 2. Whereas the Dabb-written Premiere? Eh.  

Edited by Aeryn13