Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

She also acknowledged him through twitter over the years, only to be ignored.  She seemed to back off after season 6 it seemed to me, although she did send him that cute tweet for his birthday last year. 

What was funny about this particular situation was Fillion was the one who would ignore her completely (like KaveDweller mentioned it was super weird how he'd often name check every other person on DVD commentaries but not her) but you're right she would sometimes tweet him things and acknowledge him in interviews (then it kind of petered out may be she gave up lol). Whenever this was brought up and some of us said how strange it was, some would come back and say "it's obvious they've made a pact not to appear friendly because of all the Stanathan fans out there making their lives hell!" And I'd be thinking if this is a joint arrangement to avoid the crazy it's the weirdest one I've ever seen. It's like Fillion got the message but Katic misunderstood about this not talking stuff and kept on going lol which made the problem even more painfully obvious to me. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I agree that this could be part of the problem. On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that two rather different but intelligent and thoughtful adults couldn't manage to act professionally and responsibly enough to not ruin their work relationship so seriously that it ultimately led to the demise of the show as we knew it.

Since they got along so well  for the first couple of years, something major must have happened that resulted in this irreparable breakdown that has been written all over my screen since mid season 5.

I may not work in the entertainment business but given my experience in various offices over the last twenty odd years, watching human nature and marvelling at what goes on involving apparently intelligent, thoughtful, nice people I don't find it that unbelievable.

It doesn't have to be major, sometimes it the drip, drip, drip of a whole host of minor things that eventually make people snap and start acting up. I used to be convinced they must have had a fling relatively early on and after they split never really got their relationship back on track again. Their behaviour certainly lent me to believe this was the case as they were all over each other in early interviews, she had such an obvious crush on him lol unless she's a far better actress than I ever thought and was faking it to generate a buzz.  

But now I'm leaning more towards the idea that their specific ways of working were so radically different (as evidenced by various interviews and comments at cons it's clear they don't approach acting in the same way which is fine and absolutely natural) and that eventually they got on each other's nerves sufficiently to cause problems.  

I also agree with those who say personality wise they're not alike and that can cause problems over time, throw in the actors egos (they all have them even the "nice" ones) and competing interests/outside pressures and it can be a recipe for problems. 

Edited by verdana

I have a question for everyone: do you think the chemistry has suffered during the last few seasons? If so, do you think it's because of whatever went on off-screen or do you think it's because of the writing? Or both? Cause I'm leaning towards both.

I don't just feel embarrassed by the bad love scenes. I actually fast forward through them often times because they make me so uncomfortable. This is a far cry from the morning of 5x01 when I told my husband that Castle was the best love story ever on TV. Of course a few eps into Season 5 and I was mad like people were earlier this season. Oh, the missed opportunities. But even then I wonder if cast issues molded story construction.

Yes, sadly it was clear that if one of them had to go it was Beckett. And no way was this a blind side to Stana unless she's a fierce denialist. I only wish they'd written the PI story a whole lot better. It's possible that things will improve next season when they're actually trying to make a new series, rather than winding one down. Gee, how many times have I wishfully looked ahead to the next season?

And in fact, it's now more dependent on the character of Castle than it ever was.

Which is interesting since it is known that Nathan asked for reduced work hours several years ago - even going so far as to not show up for work to get the network to agree. Now maybe that was because he didn't enjoy working with Stana or more likely it was because he was exhausted working long days for weeks on end, but now that he really will be the only lead, he's going to have to work harder than ever before. Is that really something he wants to do? I'm kind of surprised that they are doubling down on Castle alone when that means he's going to have to shoulder a lot more work and the actor has expressed that he is less than interested in doing so. If we assume Nathan wants the same work hours, Castle PI is going to lean heavily on Alexis and Hayley to fill in the work that Stana had previously been covering and I just don't see a whole lot of people clamoring for more Alexis.

• Love 1

What was funny about this particular situation was Fillion was the one who would ignore her completely (like KaveDweller mentioned it was super weird how he'd often name check every other person on DVD commentaries but not her) but you're right she would sometimes tweet him things and acknowledge him in interviews (then it kind of petered out may be she gave up lol). Whenever this was brought up and some of us said how strange it was, some would come back and say "it's obvious they've made a pact not to appear friendly because of all the Stanathan fans out there making their lives hell!" And I'd be thinking if this is a joint arrangement to avoid the crazy it's the weirdest one I've ever seen. It's like Fillion got the message but Katic misunderstood about this not talking stuff and kept on going lol which made the problem even more painfully obvious to me. 

See that sound more like someone being a dick and someone else simply taking time to admit to themselves that the other person is being a dick.

• Love 1

I don't know who this is...but something happening along these lines seems obvious, no?

Beckett has to die if the show is to continue without her. You cannot have that attachment to Castle and be free to tell whatever story they want. Them moving it to LA and getting away from the 12th is obvious too...assuming Beckett is gone.

I'd be surprised if this many details about season 9 is already in place...but it's not a big surprise if Castle gets a new love interest and there is a new location away from the 12th.

This is quite an easy 'guess' to make, it's fairly obvious what will happen in a potential season 9.

Edited by Chado

9 scripts already written in early March?? Lol

Also goodbye NYC - I love shows set in NYC and loathe shows set in LA - so one more reason to not watch.

Also, Summer Glau?? Really?

Shoot, you found the biggest logical hole....that they'd hire writers to write 9 episodes for a show they're considering canceling. I wouldn't doubt that they developed some conceptual framework and maybe that's what they mean. Paul Lee said a spinoff was in the works. But 9 episodes --written?

Still, I'm pretty sure this board has come up with their theory in some way or another over the course of the season, with the exception of Summer (LOL) Glau.

Edited by TWP

I get the moving to LA but why does Castle need a love interest? Just have fun, whacky PI cases in LA and be done with it. I've always thought NF's relationship with Summer Glau was very brotherly. Seems a bit creepy to me for her to be his love interest. Either way I have no interest in watching that show however short the season will be.

• Love 1

9 scripts already written in early March?? Lol

Also goodbye NYC - I love shows set in NYC and loathe shows set in LA - so one more reason to not watch.

Also, Summer Glau?? Really?

Yeah, no way I believe they have 9 scripts already written. Maybe they have 9 ideas for scripts, but not fully written. I can buy that's the plan though. Ugh.

And 6-8 months isn't enough of a time jump for Castle to have a new love interest. I mean they may have her as a new character with the idea they'll eventually get together. But to have him start dating after 6 months doesn't seem in character.

As a woman and a feminist, I'm offended by this remark.  Disservice to powerful women everywhere. 

Then be offended with Hollywood, not this post. Because Hollywood (as well as the top levels of many US corporations) is still a bastion of overt sexism, run by wealthy old boys networks. And even women who do get to the tops levels are often compelled to act more like "the boys", which means they sideline other women who they deem too characteristically "female" (ie, emotional) to be "real professionals."

PS. Part of my job is to investigate latent sexism in major corporations, at the behest of these companies -- who know there's a problem, but don't know how to fix it.

• Love 2

Hmm. Maneuvering what was otherwise supposed to be a guest stint by Glau into being the new co-star is a pretty sneaky way to try and get fans back on board. A lot of the geeky superfans love Glau. 

I mean assuming this is true (I'm very very skeptical). Having 9 scripts already written is indeed really suspicious--that should take 3 or 4 MONTHS and if already done kind of really gives the impression that the only unintentional part of this whole mess was how the news leaked. 

I'm more offended that this could likely be the situation than that someone pointed it out.

Thank you. That was what I meant to do, point out the rampant sexism that exists in Hollywood and elsewhere. People still favor guys, even if they don't realize it.

Just look at the subsection of  men who say they don't like HIllary, but when pressed can only say it's her voice that grates on them. It's a subconscious bias -- they can't really express what it is they don't like. But for this group, it's really that they can't relate to her because she's not like them.

This happens all the time to women at the top. And if you don't act just like the boys, sometimes they make you pay.

• Love 3

Totally agree, CarltonYourDoorman.

Another thing about the Summer Glau rumor, besides it sounding a whole lot like Joey, is they're risking a second show with those two actors that gets cancelled in less than a season. That would be a media shitstorm. Which I guess they're used to, so hey, go for the stupidest idea to ever stupid. Not like people will be watching.

No one's denying that sexism exists in Hollywood and elsewhere.

But to say that the only way a woman like Stana could have got more power was to become a man or sideline other women, or to sleep her way to the top is very insulting to women everywhere who have made it to the top or are making their way there.

No one's denying that sexism exists in Hollywood and elsewhere.

But to say that the only way a woman like Stana could have got more power was to become a man or sideline other women, or to sleep her way to the top is very insulting to women everywhere who have made it to the top or are making their way there.

I totally get what you're saying. Women should (and have) overcome the overt sexism of the entertainment industry. However, if the ABC sexism in this case is true, Stana obviously had to do more than work hard and create a beloved TV character to keep her job. She hit the glass ceiling here.

• Love 1

I have a question for everyone: do you think the chemistry has suffered during the last few seasons? If so, do you think it's because of whatever went on off-screen or do you think it's because of the writing? Or both? Cause I'm leaning towards both.

I mostly find the dialogue accompanying any romantic Caskett scenes awkward and oftentimes as subtle as a flying brick. So if they don’t speak, it’s totally fine.

But logic, looking at how people in the industry talk about and react with the parties involved, the reactions or non-reactions of showrunners and network execs can suggest things.

[...]

It is provable that Fillion is the heavy here?  No. But it's logical to think it's likely. That's a fair speculation, and not just people being unfair... as long as people keep an open mind if other information comes along. 

I don’t follow the logic that Nathan is the bad guy here. Deadline announced the departure of Stana (she wasn’t approached to renew her contract) and Tamala. ABC claimed budgetary reasons. Stana’s management didn’t comment on the circumstances surrounding her exit (Stana left a positive message about Castle instead). Then the tabloids picked up the story throwing BTS issues with Nathan in. When asked, Stana’s management  denied such a possibility and states that Stana has absolutely no problem with her colleague.

So, you have to argue that Stana’s management lied on Stana’s behalf (why, they could have just stayed silent) or that Stana is a victim of her management and isn’t allowed to tell the truth. A truth which would come at quite an opportune time (with all the media coverage about Hollywood). Two scenarios I would rather find unlikely.

Of course that doesn’t mean that Nathan’s an angel or Stana’s  a unicorn and they just loved to work with each other. But it also makes it more unlikely that Nathan mistreated, bullied or whatnot her.

• Love 2

One thing I've always wondered is why the actors agreed to still do kissing scenes when they, or one of them, (allegedly) wanted as little scenes together as possible. This kind of negates my belief that Nathan despised her. Unless acting a kissing/sex scene is so non-sexual (as many actors often say it is) that it didn't bother them. Because the writers could have easily made all kisses with at least one double. Or had them not kiss at all and just piss off the fans in one more way.

Nothing makes sense.

• Love 1
Okay, I get it. But sometimes that "prove it before you even talk about it" angle is even worse.

No one's going to get actual proof of anything unless the parties directly involved are willing to go on the record, and even then, that will be coloured by everyone's own subjective point of view.  No one's saying people can't speculate and no one could even stop it if they tried, but what's been going on in fandom has gone far beyond fair speculation and into outright harassment.  It's a free for all where all sorts of unsubstantiated claims are made about a subject matter that no one can have real actual knowledge of, and tossed about as fact.  An actor has been not just accused but labelled outright as a sexist, misogynist, bully.  Those are very serious allegations.  Based on what evidence exactly?   

Even if there can be circumstantial evidence to indicate that the actors were not friendly, it's another leap for me from that to state that they were unable to be professional together in the work environment.  And it's another far leap from that to state that one actor actively worked to shove an actor off the show.  Those are the claims being made by some, and for me, the standard of proof has been far from met.

While not denying at all that sexism exists, the business calculations and concerns that the network has to consider seem often to be ignored in all the speculation. Without any information on that, I'm not prepared to jump to any conclusions on the very limited information at hand.

• Love 2

Fillion and Glau as love interests would just be icky. She played a teenager on Firefly. Not to mention she's probably by far the worst actor from the show. Good luck if this is true.

She played a teenager on " Firefly," but she's 34 years-old now. I don't think the age gap between her and Nathan is icky.

She played a teenager on " Firefly," but she's 34 years-old now. I don't think the age gap between her and Nathan is icky.

For me, the icky isn't so much the age difference as knowing their prior work relationship. It would be like Molly playing Nathan's love interest ten years from now. Gross.

My thinking on this mess......I don't think Nathan is some terrible person who pushed poor, innocent Stana out of the show, and I don't think ABC got rid of her just for being female. I also don't think Stana is just too demanding/difficult to work with that she deserved to be let go.

But after everything that's happened this week, I do think their issues were a factor in the decision. Which shouldn't be too shocking. What kind of network/producers want a show where they have to deal with actor drama? It's just a shame Beckett has to be the one to suffer for it.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 4
"Super weird" is the perfect description of Stana and Nathan's relationship over the last two or three years. I'll always be intrigued what the hell went down with them.

Again, limited info on which to base speculation other than that it's quite clear their relationship changed from the early closeness.  If I were to guess, I'd say it was something personal, that is, they dated and it ended badly, and that's been the cause of any awkwardness/animosity since.  In that recent Q&A with Nathan, he was asked what advice he knew now that he would give to 20 year olds, and after a thoughtful answer, he added at the end, "Don't date the people you work with."  Make of that what you will.  Onset romances have affected many a show.  Differences in work styles and personality leading to conflict are possible of course, but I find that less likely considering both talked about how easy the other was to work with back when they did talk about each other, and also there have been no signs of them being unable to work well with the rest of the cast and all the guest cast and throughout their careers, all of whom would have different working styles and personalities.  Using onscreen as a baromenter of a relationship offscreen is very subjective and possibly inaccurate as well, but if I were to go on that, I would say that I detected awkwardness from Nathan onscreen in S5 with certain Caskett scenes and also detected some signs of Stana not being entirely present this season.  I hesitate to use this as a gauge of offscreen relations though.  Where the writing's been good, I still find them to have good chemistry together (and I think we got Still in S5 which was one of their best eps).  But clearly, others find it different.

Again, even if they weren't friends anymore, which makes me sad even if I don't know them, but it still doesn't necessarily mean that they were unable to be professional together.  This isn't naivety or rose coloured glasses; it's the reality of the workplace for many of us every day.  

Also, I want to add a comment that I think a few words said here or there are often overblown by fans.  I don't recall that talk about the Castle "brand" but if it was by that Lopes guy, he always seemed like a corporate hanger on to me without real influence on Castle.  Could be his own opinion not reflective of anything more.  Even with what Marlowe said about taking Beckett down a peg (to Castle's level) in 623, I didn't take that seriously either.  Along with "respect the process".  Yes, I wasn't impressed by various foot in mouth comments over the years by various people but I also never saw them as more than insignificant comments made in passing and never thought there was any conspiracy to be spun out of them.

Edited by madmaverick

Well if this actually comes to pass I guess many would see it as giving credibility to all the rumours that have been discussed here that Fillione is behind Stana's exit, but would ABC be that dumb to bring in one of his FF cronies, they were already facing an uphill battle, surely this would just compound things.

That's where my mind goes....even if the LA spinoff is a go surely bringing in a FF alum would be like throwing gasoline on a burning bonfire??? Ridiculous and bizarre and just plain stupid.

There have been fleeting moments in the last week where I have seriously wondered if ABC are trying to deliberately nuke this show so when they cancel it people will be so relieved they will thank them And they can avoid the predicted shitstorm lol

That's where my mind goes....even if the LA spinoff is a go surely bringing in a FF alum would be like throwing gasoline on a burning bonfire??? Ridiculous and bizarre and just plain stupid.

There have been fleeting moments in the last week where I have seriously wondered if ABC are trying to deliberately nuke this show so when they cancel it people will be so relieved they will thank them And they can avoid the predicted shitstorm lol

There ya go, figuring things out again. Maybe ABC was so worried about the backlash from the more rabid fans if they cancelled the show that they worked to make sure that those fans wanted it cancelled.

Nah, too brilliant a move for the incompetent network ;-).

• Love 2

Fillione running around with Molly, Toks, and possibly his old FF buddy sounds about as interesting as a dead fish in an empty room.

• Love 3

I like SG - and have no problems with roles from their past; they are actors, after all.  I don't care what she played in Firefly - won't impact my viewing of this new show - IF it happens and IF it winds up being well written, etc.

I liked the cast of Firefly - but, wasn't a huge fan of the show - so I don't mind them showing up on Castle.  

I am, obviously, one of a few people here who really doesn't care that she is not coming back and don't have any interest in reading about why because we won't ever know what all went down anyway.  If the showrunners were to release a statement at this point, I can only imagine the feeding frenzy as it is dissected for every word for tone, intent, truthfulness - seems easier to stay quiet but maybe they will release a statement closer to time of renewal/cancelation stuff.

I never care about people getting together as couples or not - TV never does it well so whenever I see what I am supposed to take as people being smitten and then them dragging out forever the two getting together only to muck up the whole thing, I just cringe and wish they would get people together more naturally and not make it such a big damn deal to it in the first place, taking years to get them together.  It's seems so silly to me and writers for some reason never seem to be able to write these sorts of stories or couples well -so, I just don't care.  

The show has been simply awful - even if she was staying and the show was renewed in its current configuration, it would be off my DVR because it is just so bad right now - (to me) - It's been disappointing to see the slide into this boring version of the show for the past few years - what a drop from the first few seasons when there was fun, witty, smart Castle.

Might be cheaper to just make it that he is living in L.A. instead of having to futz around trying to make it like here (NYC) - it all looks so fake when they do it.

There ya go, figuring things out again. Maybe ABC was so worried about the backlash from the more rabid fans if they cancelled the show that they worked to make sure that those fans wanted it cancelled.

Nah, too brilliant a move for the incompetent network ;-).

Or maybe I was just being facetious because it's all I've got left....

• Love 1

Maybe they can compromise and bring in Amy Acker. She's a Whedon revenant, she seems to have an enthusiastic fanbase from her Whedon years, and it would keep her safely tucked away on a show I don't watch. Win/win/win.

• Love 1

I didn't know who Summer Glau was before that LA episode, but I thought she was really awful in that episode and had no chemistry with Nathan at all. Maybe they were considering her when they cast that episode, but I can't imagine they'd still want to use her.

The most disappointing thing about that description is only having Ryan and Espo "visit" the show. If that's really the case it sucks for Jon and Seamus too.

May Sweeps Preview and Finale Spoilers at TV LIne

PRE-FINALE: On May 2, it's "Much Ado About Murder" when in "a bit of ripped-from-the-headlines" storyline, a mediocre Hollywood actor headlining a Broadway play turns up dead; Jewel Staite (Firefly) plays the frustrated director and Castle's mom Martha is featured heavily, says co-showrunner Alexi Hawley. On May 9, there is "Hell to Pay" when an escaped mental patient pops up in Rick's P.I. office "on a dark, stormy night" and then ends up dead, "and we've got to figure out what he was up to," says the EP.

SEASON FINALE (MAY 16): "It's all hands on deck" as LokSat is finally unmasked and that season-long arc is wrapped up in an hour that features "a lot of twists and turns, danger and emotional stakes," says Hawley. "We really tried to leave it all on the field." Especially since, barring cancellation, Season 9 will move on without leading lady Stana Katic. Foreseeing such a scenario, the showrunners crafted a finale that ends "in a dynamic way that leaves open the possibility that maybe the show won't come back in the same form."

LokSat unmasked at last! Hooray!  I can't wait to tune in and find out who this ultimate big bad might be, does this mean they're ending up on a boat? May be that dingy they found him in comes into play again lol. 

Oh those emotional twists and turns! No one does these better than on Castle (cough), and as for ending in a "dynamic" way do they really have to? Urgh

Epsiode 8.21 "Hell to Pay" - Press Release

https://twitter.com/Sandraxf/status/724624965937561601

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Four of my best friends work in the business (one is a writer on a prime time show) -- I tell you with great certainty that even shows that have been renewed or picked up for next season don't have episodes written yet, much less NINE episodes.

• Love 2

Again, even if they weren't friends anymore, which makes me sad even if I don't know them, but it still doesn't necessarily mean that they were unable to be professional together.  This isn't naivety or rose coloured glasses; it's the reality of the workplace for many of us every day.  

What's saddest for me is the ongoing situation has ruined their "together" moments, it's drained what little enthusiasm I had left as a shipper. The writing certainly didn't help matters given how they were being increasingly portrayed by Hawley and co as woefully dysfunctional, its a terrible combination (bad writing/fading chemistry/occasional poor acting) that's resulted in me simply not caring if they stay together any more which would have been utterly unthinkable when they first got together. 

It sounds dumb and rather pathetic to admit this but if I discover or even suspect the actors on a TV show or movie don't get on it ruins to a degree my enjoyment of what I'm watching. I'm not asking them to be joined at the hip or anything lol but I like it when you can see (or just tell from their body language during interviews etc) when actors are clearly having a good time and are friendly and comfortable around each other.  It shouldn't be an issue of course but unfortunately that's what's happened on Castle. I can't watch them together any more without constantly seeing the problems and how they're trying to work around them and it doesn't help that they leap out at me because they're not doing much to cover it up.

Their exchanges often feel like line readings, lacking any genuine emotion and the constant tired and predictable interruptions plus the stilted body language (especially by NF) takes me repeatedly out of their scenes together.  I wish that wasn't the case. Sigh..may be after a while I can revisit the show, watch the earlier seasons when the chemistry sparkled and they seemed much more at ease and try and get back into enjoying the show (and Caskett) again but right now sadly I can't. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

Some people are saying that they are having trouble watching reruns at the moment, is there anyway of knowing if there has been any measurable impact on TNT yet?

As I understood it 100 episodes were needed to stand a chance of syndication, which has now been reduced to 88, but then I saw some comments that 200 is the next "magic" number to reach immortality, but Castle would have needed to get a S10 based on the current 22-23 episode seasons to reach that milestone and the rumours about a shortened S9 would still leave them some way short, so it's not like they are close and this helps them get over the line.

Strictly from a cost perspective would they really move the show to LA & build all new sets for 13 episodes?

Well they've already spent Stana's salary increase on revamping the P.I. office, and the loft would probably just need a bit of rejigging and redecoration to become his LA pad, they wouldn't need the precinct so they would end up with less permanent sets than now.

Some people are saying that they are having trouble watching reruns at the moment, is there anyway of knowing if there has been any measurable impact on TNT yet?

Honestly it was how much I liked the earlier seasons that kept me watching the last three years. If they really kill her off it will be the last episode of Castle I ever watch (including reruns). Of course I'm not in the demographic that they care about so I'm sure that losing me as a viewer won't cause them to lose much sleep.

• Love 3

Honestly it was how much I liked the earlier seasons that kept me watching the last three years. If they really kill her off it will be the last episode of Castle I ever watch (including reruns). Of course I'm not in the demographic that they care about so I'm sure that losing me as a viewer won't cause them to lose much sleep.

Well I think you're important.

That's why I've decided to stop watching now, because I'm convinced that Beckett will die, we won't necessarily actually see her breathe her last in the finale, just throw herself in front of Castle and take the bullet meant for him, and the episode ends with Castle cradling her, "Stay with me Kate, I love you", so Hawley gets his cliff hanger, which potentially could have had two outcomes, but now we know has only one. That way I will be still be able to watch the pre S8 episodes without that image in my head to make a mockery of everything that came before.

Of course, how you continue the comedy show that Fillione believes the show is when his character should be wracked with guilt over Beckett's sacrifice on top of being distraught any way for losing his Yin I wouldn't know but I'm sure Hawley and TPW will give pre-season interviews telling everyone how much "fun" it's going to be.

• Love 1

Strictly from a cost perspective would they really move the show to LA & build all new sets for 13 episodes?

And the boys, Martha and Alexis would all have to "move".  Makes little sense. I suspect that if the pilot (which it probably is) gets picked up, they'll move out to LA.

My guess is they'll stay in NY until Castle finds Beckett's killer, which will coincidentally happen in 13 episodes.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 1
PRE-FINALE: On May 2, it's "Much Ado About Murder" when in "a bit of ripped-from-the-headlines" storyline, a mediocre Hollywood actor headlining a Broadway play turns up dead; Jewel Staite (Firefly) plays the frustrated director and Castle's mom Martha is featured heavily, says co-showrunner Alexi Hawley.

I never knew this was a TV trope, too? But I guess it is. Martha may add some pizzazz. But the rest of it, the plot is oddly reminiscent of "Icarus" on Law & Order: Criminal Intent, where a sitcom star headlining a Broadway play is murdered with Cynthia Nixon as the frustrated alcoholic Broadway director. Hee. (Even singer Patti Smith made a cameo!) That said, this seems a better fit for this show, especially with Martha in the mix! Hope Susan Sullivan really does feature more here.

• Love 1

ETA: Yellowing this so it is more easily seen:

By the way, there's an announcement on top of the forums page, but just in case, the board is undergoing a major upgrade starting tomorrow, Tuesday, April 26th, at approximately 9:00 a.m., Eastern Time, give or take an hour. This could be offline for the majority of the day, maybe into the evening, so have a good book handy!

I started watching Castle as a Nathan Fillion fan and while I think Stana is just fine, she doesn't make or break the series for me. That said-I gave up on Castle after the non-wedding car crash finale. I've tuned back in once or twice since then and just found it awful. I do like Fillion a lot so based on what I've noticed from following him and news about Castle for the last few years, this is my scenario-

Clearly, something went wrong between Katic and Fillion, years ago. He was really into his then girlfriend Christina Ochoa, and she was harassed by fans on twitter and maybe elsewhere and that seemed to coincide with the cooling between Katic and Fillion. Another girlfriend, Mikaela Hoover, was also harassed. Someone mentioned up thread that he cut off the social media contact with Katic but she never seemed to do the same. And she smartly found a husband with lower profile and no social media presence. Maybe that was part of Fillion's frustration-if his relationships are tanking due to crazy fans and Katic was more focused on interacting with the fan base to boost the shows ratings and possibly her own recognition. And I don't say that to imply that she is a bad person-from the other perspective, it would be really frustrating to be on a show with someone who won't play up the romance angle.

The other stories that I read last year seemed to focus more on Katic and negotiating last years contract. When I heard this latest development, I assumed she asked for much more $$$ or equal pay as Fillion, and was basically expecting to be released because I had the impression she wanted out last year. I think the person that leaked the story to the press has really created a PR nightmare for everyone involved, because no one looks good-not the network, not Fillion, and not really Stana, either. I feel sorry for her, I think this is a bad ending-but that's not going to get her a new job.

There's a lot of speculation that Fillion wanted her out, but based on the fact that he wants work less and he has lots of side projects like ConMan and voice work, I don't buy that. Also, though ego is always a powerful motivator-this all makes him look bad. And I think he's in a tough spot. If he goes on the record and says something like "There's no Castle without Stana!" then he contributes to the rest of the cast and crew losing their jobs. That said, I can't believe that he wants to stay as he seems to have been checked out for several seasons.  What a messy ending to what started as a really great, fun show.

They should have ended the show after last year's finale. I guess it is still making money if they want to keep going 

• Love 1

ETA: Yellowing this so it is more easily seen:

By the way, there's an announcement on top of the forums page, but just in case, the board is undergoing a major upgrade starting tomorrow, Tuesday, April 26th, at approximately 9:00 a.m., Eastern Time, give or take an hour. This could be offline for the majority of the day, maybe into the evening, so have a good book handy!

I predict that by Wednesday, we'll all be checked in to the loonie bin for not having a place to vent our frustrations ;-).  So, it was fun knowing you all ;-).

• Love 5