Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E14: Kauai Part 2

Conclusion. Contestants face their fears in Hawaii. Included: One player tries rappelling down a waterfall, and another goes rope-swinging through the jungle. Later, the contestants use coconuts to tackle a lacrosse-inspired obstacle course.

Yeah, Rob's kind of a big baby.   

BUT - there's a reason that many people are afraid of heights - it's because we don't have wings.  Studies with babies being coaxed to crawl over a plexiglass fake floor, show that at a certain age, we have an innate fear of heights.  It's necessary to our survival as a species.  Some of have a stronger fear than others.  Me, I get sweaty palms WATCHING a TV show where people are somewhere in danger of falling.  

I do not see a connection between losing weight and being willing to jump off a high place.  I don't care how many metaphors about facing fear and taking control  you throw at me -   I won't do it. 

• Love 6

I know next time I am starting to feel unhappy and useless, I will jump from a high place. Talk about beating an idea to death. Why do we have to hear the sob stories over and over. We got it the first few hundred times. And if one more contestant says they do not know what the challenge is or what they are in for, I will go screaming into the night. Give it a freakin' rest!!!

I know a fear of heights is a legitimate fear. I get that, but it's tv & they signed up for this so they're fair game to poke fun at imo. Angry Kermit's fit when he first repelled off the dirt edge of the practice bump was golden! I had to rewind to see his crazy pants hysteria again. I found it so funny. I was waiting for him to scream I hate you all & tackle a local & demand transport to the nearest fast food restaurant. I can picture him shoving in burgers & pizza while emo raging about how he couldn't bleeping do it & no way man would he be bleeping the bleep off the bleep. More fries needed. Give me a shake. Quiet sobs until the extra large soda is refilled. I have moved past caring why I can't stand this guy & just gleefully enjoy his sporadic fits of rage. I think this show is not coming close to touching whatever issues might truly be bothering him.

Other than that, zzzzzz. The spacing out of these episodes has truly helped dull an already dull season. The face your fears storylines felt overly contrived even by this show's standards. I was only half-way watching this other than the expected Angry Kermit breakdown. I think Woody was sent to Bob's last chance to be on camera ranch. It's an indication of my lack of interest that in not 100% sure if that's correct.

The sent home for real dude, Jordan?, looked good. I'm glad he made it home in time for his child's birth. Next week? Makeovers! Half-hearted yea.

• Love 2

I'm not a fan of Rob's, but I did feel for him with the repelling.  I've done it and it can be very scary.  Even when I was doing it regularly in my youth, I wouldn't have repelled down a waterfall.   To do that your first time is just nuts.  I don't think it makes sense to make anyone do something unnecessary that they are terrified of.  The jumping off the log thing was stupid, too.  Looking forward to the makeovers, though.

• Love 4
I know a fear of heights is a legitimate fear. I get that, but it's tv & they signed up for this so they're fair game to poke fun at imo

Yeah, but they signed up for a weight loss show.   I don't see a real connection between losing weight and jumping off something high.  It's not Survivor or Amazing Race, where tasks involving heights make sense.  

To me, it seems that the tasks are put in for the purpose of having contestants freak out, cry, tantrum, whatever,   It seems mean-spirited. 

• Love 4

Jordan looked incredible!  I hope he wins the home prize. money for his new family.  Scott is looking really handsome--he had a tousled look going that was very attractive.  For the life of me, I cannot understand how Lori squeaks by each and every time.  I would have thought she would have been outted weeks ago.

Sonya's hair is growing out yeah!!  I hope they give her extensions next week.

• Love 1

Yeah, but they signed up for a weight loss show. I don't see a real connection between losing weight and jumping off something high.

I agree that there's not much of a connection between heights & weight loss unless someone truly has an aha moment of life changing revelation, which is unlikely. However, imo this show is a type of reality tv just dressed up as a weight loss competition. I have a hard time imagining that the participants have never seen the show & the ridiculous challenges & fear-facing stunts that are the norm on this program. If they weren't willing to participate in some drama than they shouldn't have signed up for a tv show that historically encourages it. Besides in my own evil, snarky world I found the repelling fit hysterical. Yes it might be scary but I watch this show for entertainment & I was highly entertained. I realize mileage may vary here, but for me it was completely expected from TBL & Kermit's reaction was gravy on my biscuit.

Sonya's hair is growing out yeah!! I hope they give her extensions next week.

That's an interesting thought! I wonder what she would look like with longer hair. It'd be fun to see & at least see what she thinks of it.
Kermit is Rob. Why? I don't know.

Yeah, I don't know either.  I preferred RageBoi.

hey can anyone answer this--when they show the "how I look now" picture, is this how they look when the show ends, or how they look when that episode aired.  Because now it looks like Jordan would be a shoo-in for the Home Prize, but I am wondering if some earlier folks have lost more and we don't know it yet.  Am I being clear?

Kermit is Rob. Why? I don't know.

Yeah, I don't know either.  I preferred RageBoi.

I figured that other posters were calling Rob 'Kermit' since when they switched from teams to individuals Rob got the green shirt (green like Kermit the frog)

@WhineandCheez's suggestion for RageBoi works. Of course, since Rob wears that green T-shirt you could also call him 'Hulk'.  Don't make Rob angry, you wouldn't like him when he's angry.  Which is basically true -- can't stand Rob when gets all ragey, or any other time for that matter.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

I'm just glad Scott is still in it.  I thought he might be out this week.  And I'm remembering why I thought he was so hot when he played for the Lions.  The beginning of the season, not so much. But yeah. He's still got it.

Lots of rope course challenges this week. Reminds me of when I was in the Air Force and my section decided one day that we should all go to the base's ropes course one day to "bond." I hated it, would not complete one ropes obstacle, and opted to stay back at the office and work the next time he decided to take us all out again. No regrets at all. 

My God, wth was that freaking swing from hell Lori went on..I would have thrown up. The projectile kind that would have hit Jessie straight in the face. But good for her. Lori isn't bothering me nearly as much as she did in the beginning, she is just keeping her head down and getting things done, and hopefully her sad sack days are behind her.

I find it pretty comical the way that Rob's voice goes from gruff to high pitched "eek I've just seen a mouse!" when he is stressed. That said, I felt very sorry for him and could totally feel his panic in that rappelling situation.

I hate when the producers see fit to "make a contestant face his worst fears" for the sake of a good scene. I get the mentality behind it, as Dolvett explained it, that it is meant to break through a certain wall, however, there have to be other, off camera ways of building confidence and "I can do this" aside from instilling sheer white terror into a contestant. It isn't up to this show, its producers, or any of its trainers, to force something like this on a player, particularly when it isn't part of a challenge or crucial to said player staying on the show. It's great that he went through with it, but geez, was that ever exploitative. And it happens every season.

I really did not expect Jordan to put up a big number this week..8 lbs is great! But I was thrilled to see Scott come through again. 9 lbs right on the nose. Good for him. I am very happy to see him stay. It is nice, though that Jordan will get to be at home for the birth of his baby.

Woody scoring a -3 was a surprise. I really want Scott to come back to the ranch, and Woody is going to hard to beat next week, coming off a bad week and Scott coming off two back to back good weeks. We'll see. If Woody comes back, I think he will take the big prize. But I sure hope Scott's the one to come back. And yes, Scott is very hot. :)

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 3

I think I figured out the problem with Kermit when he hugged Woody and sobbed "I want to be just like you when I grow up."  Dude, you're.... 26?  You're grown up.  Time to start thinking of yourself this way.

They picked some pretty hot men this season.  Scott is already a dreamboat.  Damian was well on his way there when he got kicked off.  Matt's before before pics speak for themselves.  The kid who just got kicked off looked pretty fine in the "where am I now" video.  Heck, even Kermit this week looked for the first time like he might be pretty cute when he gets more of the weight off.

I don't know how Scott keeps putting up those numbers.  He doesn't look like he has that much more to lose.  I realize he's still 250, but he's also a million feet tall and I'm going to guess based on his past profession that he has a body type that is predisposed to packing on the muscle.  He can't be that much above his playing weight at this point.

• Love 1

I am rooting for Scott to go all the way! He has won Comeback Canyon 3 weeks in a row. There are only 2 weeks left of Comeback Canyon and up until Damien and now Scott, it was kind of a dud with contestants only staying 2 weeks and then losing to the next arrival each time. How awesome would it be for a contestant to actually come back after all those weeks and win the whole thing? If he ends up losing next week or even the week after, the whole Comeback Canyon premise will be kind of a joke and the person that wins it (whether it's Woody or the person that loses next week) will have only just left the ranch- no drama there! And yes, I think Rob is Kermit because of his voice. I actually burst out laughing at his latest tantrum! I felt bad for him but it was almost comical.

• Love 3
The sent home for real dude, Jordan?, looked good.

Yes he did except for the really bad comb-over!  Dude, you'll look younger and sexier if you just accept the bald and shave off the comb-over!

• Love 1

OMG, Jordan became my favourite contestant ever when he made that comment about farting and sneezing at the same time.  Love him.  Go Canada!!  Really wish he was still in it.

• Love 1

Ramble, I love that you were entertained by Kermit's rage. I was too! I can't stand the guy, & if he continues to stay & I have to watch him I might as well laugh at his tantrums.

He just looked like such a baby with that helmet on I was reminded of Baby Huey. (Google that image of you're to young to remember the cartoon).

• Love 2

I finally watched the episode. The silly challenges are a part of the show and have been there for ages. If you watch the show, you know it is going to happen. What I like about the challenges, is a lot of the time a trainer does it with the person and it is normally something the trainer is afraid of. So new female trainer went snorkeling with Sonja and Woody when she is scared of the water. Dolvet went with Rob and he is afraid of heights.

Rob annoys not because he is afraid of, well, everything, but because of his extreme reactions to everything. He hates being in Hawaii because there is sun and he might burn. Never mind rash guards and sun screen and that medical staff who is watching you do everything and will make sure that you don't burn or get heat stroke. Rob is afraid of heights an d freaks out on a practice hill. Never mind all the trained people there with every expensive equipment meant to keep him safe.

Scott is afraid of heights and his legs are shaking and he struggled with his task. He was able to calmly tell Bob what was happening while still holding onto the pole and struggling to let it go. Eventually, they both completed the task but their celebrations at the end were so different. Scott was happy and hugged folks, Rob was screaming, jumping around and acting like he cured cancer.

• Love 1

Idly flipped through that drek "Us" magazine while waiting in line,and Scott and Sonya are both there sporting their new makeovers (this is not a spoiler since all this weeks' contestants get made over).  Sonya looks good, they got rid of her "Gym Teacher" hairdo and give her highlights.  What really got me was she has enormous boobs.  Where did they come from!!

Idly flipped through that drek "Us" magazine while waiting in line,and Scott and Sonya are both there sporting their new makeovers (this is not a spoiler since all this weeks' contestants get made over).  Sonya looks good, they got rid of her "Gym Teacher" hairdo and give her highlights.  What really got me was she has enormous boobs.  Where did they come from!!

But Scott is in Comeback Canyon! How did he get a makeover?

Maybe he gets one without the others around

I think that's what happened too.  Otherwise, it wouldn't be a surprise if somebody comes back.

I'm also afraid of heights.  I understand that we need to overcome certain fears in order to achieve our dreams.  However, we don't need to do certain challenges to complete our lives.  I'm perfectly content to never have to do what Laurie had to do. 

• Love 2

I think I figured out the problem with Kermit when he hugged Woody and sobbed "I want to be just like you when I grow up."  Dude, you're.... 26?  You're grown up.  Time to start thinking of yourself this way.

He's been living in a dorm his whole adult life; he might have to quit his job as residence manager to make that leap.

Maybe he gets one without the others around

So if he got one without the others around, did Woody get one too?  If not, does this mean the makeover was AFTER the Comeback Canyon competition week and Woody didn't make it?  If it was in the middle of the week, how did they compete?  Hmmm...

When Rob donned the headband, my first thought was, "Wow, way to resurrect the Mike Reno from Loverboy look."

Then I looked at recent photos of Mike Reno. Yikes.

With that said, if Tim Gunn tries to convince Rob to wear red leather pants next week, I'm outta here.

• Love 1

When Rob donned the headband, my first thought was, "Wow, way to resurrect the Mike Reno from Loverboy look."

Is it wrong that your thought made me flashback to Chris Farley stripping to "Workin' For The Weekend" in the SNL Chippendales sketch? Rob-as-Farley-as-aspiring Chippenhunk. OH THE HUMANITY!

• Love 3

So if he got one without the others around, did Woody get one too?  If not, does this mean the makeover was AFTER the Comeback Canyon competition week and Woody didn't make it?  If it was in the middle of the week, how did they compete?  Hmmm...

In answer to my own question, I found this online article about Scott.  It says that both he and "the other Comeback Canyon contestant" (Woody) got the makeovers.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/former-nfl-pro-tackles-weight-gain-biggest-loser-120048146.html

Edited by Momof2boyz

There are plenty of trainer-spouted psychological insights going around this season from each trainer (in addition to Jen's sappy platitudes *rme* why doesn't she just wear a "hang in there baby" kitten t-shirt every episode while she's at it)  to convince me this is not a Jillian specific trait.