Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E13: Kauai Part 1

I realized how much I like Sonya when she was briefly in danger tonight. Go tiny power woman go!

Angry Kermit was sad & scared tonight. Weepy frog is so glad he's staying. Frightened frog is so scared of things. Things like sunburn & heat stroke & sand fleas & facing the true reasons why he is eating all his feelings. Ok, I'm not sure about the last one, I just had a Jillian flashback. And did he say he was blacking out all the time as he knelt down in the sand? The huh? All the time? Just for nanoseconds or something? Weird.

Speaking of eating emotions I love the new Weight Watchers ad for eating feelings set to the tune of "If You're Happy & You Know It." Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, t-shirt didn't fit, got disgusted with my fat self, ate some pancakes & waffles instead of properly expressing my disgust. I'm singing along!

ETA: Shirtless Dolvett & Jesse... thank you Kauai.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 3

I think I am done with this show. I don't quite know why but I am finding it more and more boring and I really don't give a crap about watching or posting any more.

I don't think it is the people, I think it is the production. Challenges, stories, scale, someone leaves. I learn nothing and there is no drama. Boring. Either they need to make it more educational (show the cooking, explain the exercises and benefits from different types of exercise more, discuss how to recover from an injury) or find a way to increase the drama. Actually, idea number two sucks serious donkey balls. This is a show about losing weight, we don't need the drama. So find away to make it educational and interesting. Keep people on longer, teach us stuff. Show some freaking real counseling. Maybe even group counseling sessions.

But, Rob melts down because he doesn't want to be in Hawaii. I mean, who wants to go to a place with great weather, awesome beaches, little humidity, and sun shine? How awful is that. (eye roll)

I want Rob gone. I don't think he is learning squat, I don't think he cares. I do think he will put all the weight back on because he is not ready to lose the weight.

• Love 3

I also was hoping that Sonya didn't go home.  She works so hard.  I was hoping it was Rob.  He said that he worked hard but it didn't look like it to me.  Dolvett said that he had to push him.  Then he whines because he's in Hawaii.  ProfCrash, I join you with the eye rolling.  Rob needs some serious counseling.  He has anger issues and he has to deal with change.  Sadly, I also think he's going to gain all the weight back and blame it on The Biggest Loser for abandoning him after the show.

• Love 2

I don't usually EVER sympathize with Rob but on this occasion I must.  Being a very pale skinned person myself and having suffered from sunstroke in Hawaii, I can understand his feeling uncomfortable.  I moved from New England to Hawaii and right away stayed out too long in the tropical sun.  I was as sick as a dog.  Other than that though, suck it up Rob!  I agree with the poster who said that he would probably gain the weight back.

• Love 2

I could spend five minutes in the sun and start to look like a lobster. I also have severe light sensitivity so I have to wear polarized prescription sunglasses when I go outside.

I am rooting more for the contestants who went home more than the people who are still at the ranch. I also do not want to see the therapy sessions because watching the fake, over the top, poor me, bad acting, looks like they are reading off a cue card with an armchair counselor God like personal trainer sessions make me want to beat my head against the wall and/or run outside screaming.

The people behind the show love to pick the sad sacks with the worse stories and pretend they can fix them. The show has set sail for a bad reality television show who capitalizes on the idea of fixing obese people who are desperate for some attention. Losing weight is all fine and dandy, but people like Rob need more specialized care.

I can turn lobster red in no time flat. I use sun screen and they have wonderful rash guards now that are light weight and keep the sun off  your skin. I wear sun glasses outside because my light blue eyes are very sensitive. I have been to Hawaii three times and love it. I would go back in a second. Proper hydration is not that challenging, especially when you have trainers with you and a full medical staff. I am sorry, but Rob's whining was pure whining. Rob is always making lame ass excuses and pouting about something. I want him to succeed but I don't think he will.

• Love 2

I agree with this season being pretty boring.  Except for Rob, the contestants are all nice enough, but it's turned too much like Survivor.  The challenges should involve strength, endurance, etc., not putting together a puzzle.  Although I don't want to see the counseling sessions, I would like more about the food and about medical issues.  I don't like Dr. Death, but seeing some real medical results (specific lowering of blood pressure or cholesterol levels, etc.) would be nice.  Show me that there is a reason to lose weight besides looking hot and winning money.

I was so hoping Rob would be headed home this week.  Foiled again.

• Love 2

I think part of why this season feels boring is that it's whittled down to an hour.  Which would work if 9-10 min wasn't devoted to Bob and Comeback Canyon.  CC only works with a two-hour episode format.

I wonder what Jordan thinks of Comeback Canyon.  He couldn't have been pleased to find out that he had to go deal with Bob when he could be at home getting ready for his baby's birth.  He seemed pretty over the show as he left.  I really hope we get to see his reaction to finding out he can't really go home yet.

Everyone probably lost so much weight because they were in a tropical climate with restricted water.  Rob seemed to allude to it when he was getting sick.  They just had to edit it as Rob being a baby vs. Rob actually having a legitimate concern.

• Love 2

I'm thinking Rob has some issues - he's seems to have both anger and anxiety issues.  He may have been eating  for comfort  and control(as  in eating because it was the one thing in his life that he could do without other people dictating it).   I feel very very sorry for him.  I am glad to see him losing weight, hope it gives him something to feel good about himself. 

Since we didn't get to see Jordan at Comeback Canyon, maybe he refused to go since it was so close to his wife's due date.

Rooting for Sonya - she's from my area.

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2
Why was Bob wearing high-waters, since it was all the other who were on a beach?

Just curious.

I know Bob thinks himself on the cutting edge of clothing and all but those were just butt-ugly!  Not only were they high-waters, they also had that big baggy crotch thing going on.  Very unbecoming . . . for any body type.

• Love 1

I'm having trouble watching this season. On one hand, I'm glad it's cut down an hour from previous season's bloated 2 hour episodes, but on the other hand it seems like they decided to keep the boring parts. The challenges feel watered down and too quick, Comeback Canyon takes up too much time for the shorter show (and honestly the best part of CC is just the moment where Bob interrupts their post-elim limo ride confessional) and it seems like we're just... not seeing anything. Brief exposition, challenge, Comeback Canyon, Last Chance Workout, CC weigh in, ranch weigh in, with the product placement spots thrown in. I feel like I barely know anyone and it just doesn't feel like a competition. Maybe I'm just not sold on this season's trainers. I do love Sonya though. Show me more of her! I feel very little attachment with anyone except for her. Go girl go! Win this damn thing and get a fantastic makeover.

I am thrilled that the show is an hour. There is not enough to get to two hours. I spent a lot of time fast forwarding in the past.

Essentially this show is a show about weight loss but they don't spend enough time on the weight loss. The challenges are suppose to be what we are focus on because they are action based and we are suppose to like action. The problem is that they are pretty boring. I don't mind the gym sessions but I would prefer them if we were getting some info out of them. "Hey cardio is good for reason X but you can't just walk on a tread mill. Interval training is important for X, Y, and Z reasons. Here are a few different training exercises we do." Next week "Weight training is important for this reason. Here is one set of basic weight exercises you can do". "Hey, variety is important here is a way to vary your exercises"

I would love to have a cooking segment each time. I don't care if they hawk ground turkey, but talk about how to make meals that are balanced and flavorful while being healthy. Vegetables vs fruit. Yummy bean dishes and the nutrition from them. Quick foods that are good for you and why. Take the stupid infomercials and make them a bit longer and toss in some good info.

The problem is that there is not going to be drama on a show like this if it is being done in a way that makes sense, using the Red Line and on occasion the yellow line. The lines remove a lot of the drama/alliance BS and reduces the drama. Which doesn't make for the most interesting TV. But the drama filled days were such bullshit that those seasons were heinous. So the show has to decide heinous but drama or not heinous but more focus on educational stuff.

On one hand, I'm glad it's cut down an hour from previous season's bloated 2 hour episodes, but on the other hand it seems like they decided to keep the boring parts. The challenges feel watered down and too quick, Comeback Canyon takes up too much time for the shorter show (and honestly the best part of CC is just the moment where Bob interrupts their post-elim limo ride confessional) and it seems like we're just... not seeing anything.

Are the non-contestants guaranteed a certain amount of screen time in their contracts? I suspect we wouldn't even have Bob and CC if the producers weren't legally bound to keep him.

They can't use the red line, because they already picked Laurie as final three, IMO.   Any other week than the past one, she would have been toast or teetering over the toaster. 

Final three will be Scott, Lori, and Sonya.  It's either Scott or Lori, though Sonya is clearly the most awesome of the bunch.

This of course is just my prediction. 

I'm keen to see the ones who went home.   If Blake lost another 30 since the time we saw her, she would look amazing.

Edited by Mu Shu

First off- Bob's pants! Wth was that?! Baggy in the crotch, yet tight at the calf capris with red socks? I love Bob but that was too much.

I get extremely motion sick so I would have been pissed if I won the helicopter ride. Even seeing the waves while Woody was in the boat was making me slightly nauseous.

I'm disappointed Rob is still there. Every week I'm hoping he'll go home. I have no sympathy for his drama.

I love Sonya, hope she makes it far.

I agree that this show needs to go in a different direction. Other shows I have loved in the past- Celebrity Fit Club, Discovery Health Body Challenge- let the contestants live at home & were actually informative shows.

Edited by Mrsjumbo

I think they missed out on the vacation (except for Bob's terrible terrible shirt).  But I think that's also why we didn't see ... uh... what's-his-name's arrival at Comeback Canyon.  (Ok, scrolling up, I see that it's Jordan.)  But I think it'd be hard to keep it a secret that he's not going home if they're putting him on a plane back to California instead of wherever he's from.  Even if they told him he has to connect through LA, there's not going to be a dramatic limo reveal (unless the producers really think people are stupid and fake it, which ... is a decided possibility, I guess.)

Of course, I would pay actual cash money to see Bob Harper in a chauffeur's cap with a little sign waiting for him at the airport.

• Love 1

Actually, the California plane ride is easy to explain, lots of flights to/from Hawaii have lay overs in LA. It is a long flight from the East Coast, so lay overs are pretty common. They might need to have Bob meet the plane though.

ETA: It would have been helpful to have read the complete post and see that you said the same thing...

Edited by ProfCrash

It's really hard to get into this season because of holiday breaks.  There were two weeks off around Thanksgiving.  There wasn't a show last Thursday because of Christmas.  Is there a show this week or is it not scheduled because of New Year's?

• Love 3

I have to agree with realdancemom.  This season is taking forever!  It's really hard to stay interested or even remember what's happened in past episodes.  I like watching the whole episode later on Hulu.

It shows how much interest I have lost in this show that I just got around to watching this episode. There isn't one player I like or care about that got to go to Kauai. So at this point the draw for me is Comeback Canyon and whether Scott sticks around.

Woody and Rob battling it out for the Throne of The Crybaby King. With Jen as the Queen. And did Rob get his hair frosted? I thought that went out when Cheryl Tiegs did.

Jesse: "Week 13 and you're still here, guys! That says a lot about you, you don't quit, you don't give up, and you voted off the real competition!"

I changed my mind, Jordan isn't just a Muppet, he is a Muppet/Rogen hybrid.

The only way that scene with Woody and Sonya and Jen ("You saved us! You changed our lives! Hallelujah!") could have sounded MORE staged and saccharine is if it was actually scripted for a Hallmark movie. I'm not so sure it wasn't collected from a Hallmark trash can. Handholding. Kumbaya. Puke.

And Jen didn't say one word to tell them not to credit her, but to credit themselves for putting in the effort and discipline. Way to go.

I kind of feel sorry for JJ, he has actually done pretty well the last two episodes..a 6lb week and then an 8 lb week. But I am happy that Scott is still there. Though he is 6'6", there might not be much more for him to lose, he already looks fantastic. I am glad that Jordan will be going up against Scott, Woody could have a big week next week, and I don't think Jordan will. 

Woody AND Jen cryng at the weigh-in, inadvertently drowning the rest of the contestants, making Woody the Biggest Loser by default. NBC scrambles to fill in the remaining weeks with Biggest Loser blooper reels and "Biggest Loser: The Worst of" specials, starring Conda Britt and her pepperoni-chested brother.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 1