Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies
This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  • Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!
Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):
  • Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea
Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I love this show and don't usually go for dramas. We binge-watched the first season on On Demand, got addicted, and here we are season 2. Awesome. Love Vera Farmiga as Norma and the kid who plays Norman is stellar, imo. I also enjoy the hunky brother. Hope he's not toast soon.

Hey Peaches! I had to post in this thread because I can't keep the eppy titles straight in my head. I inferred that this is a general gab fest thread, so I won't veer off topic heh. Loved shirtless Dylan so yeah, he's sure to be toast. I must say, as a cougar, self-described, me likey Cupcake Weed Boy who is sniffing around Emma. I say, "Go for it, Emma!" Just do it sober so she can remember. :)

I'm Lexi. My mom and I have been watching since episode 1 and its one of the only shows I watch regularly. Vera is AMAZING in it. Am I the only one who thinks the drug subplot is just completely boring?

The drug plot is kind of boring, but I don't what else they could have done to make it different from just another small town.

Anything that put Max Thieriot (I call him Max the Riot ever since I misread the credits once) on my screen is jake with me!

• Love 1

The drug story line is boring to me as well but it gives an explanation to unsolved or even uninvestigated murders.  I also find it amusing that in this weed town Norma, who really needs some damn weed is so disgusted by it.

Really glad to be here after TWoP!  Bates Motel is my current religion.

No. I kind of wish they focused more on the sex trafficking since they set it up already.

ITA. I get that they're trying to have another thing going on besides Norma and norman's story, but the sex trafficking is more interesting to me personally.

Hi - I need a little guidance here.  I haven't seen Bates Motel and am thinking about renting it on Netflix.  I kinda like dark and twisted - I loved the first few seasons of Dexter - and I'm looking forward to Fargo.  What do you think?  Is Bates Motel along those lines?

I would love to watch this show, and tried to, via Xfinity On-Demand. When I tried to load up the pilot episode so I could watch from the beginning, I was informed it would cost me $2.99 per episode. So I have to pay to watch a show that's broadcast on a channel that I'm already paying for! No freaking way. Grrr.

Yup - got into this show when I caught the first season on Netflix streaming.

BTW, now that the second season is drawing to a close, can anyone recommend a good drama? I'm kind of TV-illiterate these days.

For reference, I dig BM because of the fab acting, dark humor, and high production values. I also feel like the show has a good balance of light (eye candy, fashion, occasional absurdity) and dark (psych abuse, murder, dissociation). But I'll look into anything that's well done.

Yup - got into this show when I caught the first season on Netflix streaming.

BTW, now that the second season is drawing to a close, can anyone recommend a good drama? I'm kind of TV-illiterate these days.

For reference, I dig BM because of the fab acting, dark humor, and high production values. I also feel like the show has a good balance of light (eye candy, fashion, occasional absurdity) and dark (psych abuse, murder, dissociation). But I'll look into anything that's well done.

Well it just ended it's second season too but I'd recommend Vikings which you probably could get via Netflix.  Excellent writing, directing, filming, editing, scoring and especially brilliant acting.  Astounding scenery.  Keeps to the real history enough without lessening the drama.  And drama based on real people done well (and this is a "10") ratchets up things to a whole new level for me.

Strong, complex characters with enough dark humor amid the drama.  One of the strongest females to grace TV drama ever in Lagertha.  Ragnar is totally mesmerizing.  Athelstan is caught between two worlds, two cultures, two religions, two views of his self ... deep that.   And Floki is ... ah ... Floki.  You have to experience him, hard to explain in writing.

(edited)

Thanks for the recs, all.

Green, I started to stream the first episode of Vikings on Netflix. IIRC, the first scene was a shot of some Viking with a thousand-yard stare, looking into the camera as the mist writhes over a field of dead bodies. Urrgh...I got a "glorifying violence" vibe, for which I wasn't in the mood. Judging from your description of the show's strengths, I'm missing out! I'll give it another try.

DM, I've caught a few episodes of Hannibal. My favorite scenes were any in which Laurence Fishburne and Mads Mikkelsen got to act off each other. Such easy chemistry! 

Edited by Solzhenknitsyn

Solzhenknitsyn, check out Fargo on FX. In terms of "fab acting, dark humor, and high production values" it's got it all. Martin Freeman, Billy Bob Thorton, Bob Odenkirk, Colin Hanks, Adam Goldberg, Oliver Platt, a brilliant new actress Amanda Tollman, Key&Peele later on, and more I can't think of...are all top notch. Dark humor very similar to the Fargo movie. A very Coen brothers look to the show (despite them being EPs in name only).

(edited)

Thanks for the recs, all.

Green, I started to stream the first episode of Vikings on Netflix. IIRC, the first scene was a shot of some Viking with a thousand-yard stare, looking into the camera as the mist writhes over a field of dead bodies. Urrgh...I got a "glorifying violence" vibe, for which I wasn't in the mood. Judging from your description of the show's strengths, I'm missing out! I'll give it another try.

DM, I've caught a few episodes of Hannibal. My favorite scenes were any in which Laurence Fishburne and Mads Mikkelsen got to act off each other. Such easy chemistry! 

Yeah that was Ragnar (Travis Fimmel who is brilliant in the role) right before he has his vision in the first few minutes of the series.  The violence really isn't gratuitous to me.  Yeah Vikings are going to be violent, that is what they do.  It's a real thing but I don't see it glorified on the TV show.  Among the Vikings dying in battle is the way to enter Valhalla.  It makes them very gray characters who come from that background which is all they know at the start of the series.  Makes you consider how you would be if you were raised in a culture like this and it was all you knew.  Series makes me think a lot actually.

But the first scene was more a "hook" scene and the rest of the battle scenes are more in historical context.  Well actually this is in historical context too but it was an over the top scene used to introduce Ragnar and his brother Rollo as great warriors all alone fighting among the dead from the get go.  A totally atypical surreal scene as opposed to other more realistic battle scenes later.  But the rest of the first episode has no more battle scenes so I guess they wanted to get something in early to establish how hard and cruel the world of the Vikings was and try to hook those who want some action immediately.

And they don't give them a free pass on the violence either.  They may be the main characters but they can do really bad things.  They don't sugercoat these people.  You get the good, the bad and the ugly as you enter a whole different world and mindset in a brilliantly written show that tries to present these people in their terms and times and not in a 21st century pov of modern dress-up costume "history".  

It is also a show that covers the clash of cultures as 793 AD produces the first raid recorded on English soil where a strange destiny awaits one young monk.  This exposure to another culture can cause new, visionary ideas to arise and also negative reactions to something not in keeping with the old ways.  Add in the family life aspect, the role of women in society (hint: free Viking women had far more freedom and rights then their English counterparts though it is not good to be a slave in any culture) along with the political ploys and plots and there is a lot to take in.

Not for everyone and I resisted watching it at first for quite awhile until I finally caught a Season 1 mid-season marathon and got hooked totally.  I had resisted too because I didn't want to see rape and pillage and war glorified.  But once I got into it I discovered it had some of the most brilliant writing I've experience on TV, some of the most astounding scenery, a great title credits, brilliant actors and an excellent blend of history an drama fused together.  You run out to Wikipedia to look up the characters to find out their reality or not then get excited to see this guy's descents do this and that guy is the grandfather of this king etc.  Yeah fictionalized history but with great emphasis on the history too.  It just makes it more real that these people actually walked our earth too and not lived in a fictional far off galaxy or something.  (I love Star Wars but I mean the visceral feel to what actually happened gets to me more I guess).  And again, it made me think a lot which most TV doesn't.

Sorry for the long post.  Glad off topic stuff is allowed in this off topic thread, heh.

Edited by green

That's cool, green, I enjoyed reading about the aspects of the show that drew you in! I will have to take a deep breath (and block out some binge watching time, it sounds like) and plunge in.

maculae, Fargo does sound like it's right up my alley! Thanks for the recommendation. :)

I just want to say how grateful I am for the way all y'all are discussing the Bateses.

On the "Better Call Saul" board (another prequel), some people are overly invested in "proving" who the bad guy is in the relationship between two siblings. Over at "The Last Man on Earth" (the Will Forte sitcom), a guy is mansplaining female sexual attraction.

But here you're actually respecting others' opinions and acknowledging ambiguity. Thank you all!

• Love 5

Did anyone see the Psycho re-make that was on yesterday?  Boy, talk about bad casting.  Every time Vince Vaughn was onscreen, it took me right out of it.  Why would Van Sant cast someone a thuggish as Vaughn to play sensitive young Norman? 

• Love 2

I refuse to watch that Psycho remake solely because of the casting. I just can't. One of the first things that caught my interest with Bates Motel was how amazing the casting for Norman was, just on a pure physical impression, before even having seen a second of the show. Freddie (still can't believe it's the same little British kid I've seen in several movies) just became Norman in the same way Anthony Perkins did. I figured, if they did that well on the casting, maybe the show wouldn't be totally awful. I was so happy to learn it was far from awful and is my favorite show, possibly of all time. But, Vince Vaughn as Norman? WTF? But Psycho is also one of those movies that never, ever needed a pure remake. And wasn't that one of those stupid line by line type remakes, not a reinvention like Bates Motel, but literally the exact same movie with a new cast? Why? You don't top Hitchcock.  

• Love 3

I refuse to watch that Psycho remake solely because of the casting. I just can't. One of the first things that caught my interest with Bates Motel was how amazing the casting for Norman was, just on a pure physical impression, before even having seen a second of the show. Freddie (still can't believe it's the same little British kid I've seen in several movies) just became Norman in the same way Anthony Perkins did. I figured, if they did that well on the casting, maybe the show wouldn't be totally awful. I was so happy to learn it was far from awful and is my favorite show, possibly of all time. But, Vince Vaughn as Norman? WTF? But Psycho is also one of those movies that never, ever needed a pure remake. And wasn't that one of those stupid line by line type remakes, not a reinvention like Bates Motel, but literally the exact same movie with a new cast? Why? You don't top Hitchcock.  

Yep shot for shot, virtually line for line.  The house was different though.  FFS, the HOUSE!  Which was a main character, if you ask me.  Anne Heche was excellent as Marion, but the rest of the cast, though A listers, was meh.

The original Norman came across as a sweet, but sad person. This made Marion realize that she would become like him if she didn't stop what she was doing. Vince's portrayal on the other hand, made you immediately realize he was a creep.

• Love 2

The original Norman came across as a sweet, but sad person. This made Marion realize that she would become like him if she didn't stop what she was doing. Vince's portrayal on the other hand, made you immediately realize he was a creep.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^  In the original you kind of felt sorry for Norman, you felt he was being abused by his crazy mother, even if you had seen the movie before.  VFV just seemed slimy and fake.

Serial killers don't manage to become serial killers if they get caught before they get multiple kills in. And they avoid getting caught by seeming normal on the surface. So definitely a smart choice to make Norman someone you'd never suspect.

Everybody always says "he seemed like such a nice man" when a serial killer is finally caught. Never "I thought he seemed like a serial killer all along!"

On a totally different tangent, I dreamt last night that Emma invited me to a party. But I couldn't find my keys so I couldn't go with her even though I really wanted to. Must be my subconcious telling me it's time for more Bates Motel!

• Love 1

Does anyone watch this show on the A&E website?  I've tried ad it seems to buffer quite a bit.  I get so frustrated that I give up.  I don't have that problem with most other shows I watch online.  

In the original movie Psycho, when Norma's sister (Vera Miles) and boyfriend (John Gavin--he was hot) go looking for Marion, they visit an older sheriff and his wife.  On this show, I wonder if Romero is the younger version of the sheriff?  (I hope he's not the dead guy found in the bed with Norman's mother.) 

• Love 2

Does anyone watch this show on the A&E website?  I've tried ad it seems to buffer quite a bit.  I get so frustrated that I give up.  I don't have that problem with most other shows I watch online.  

Yes! It annoys me to no end. No matter how long i pause it, it still buffers. It even does that on the short videos.

• Love 1

Hey guys! I've been around for awhile now, and I have a site question. Is there some place where I can find all the recaps for a season of a show, like they did on TWoP? I've been going nuts looking, and needed a refresher on Bradley. The link from this weeks recap helped, but I'd like to read more.

That said, I'm thrilled to find this place! It's nice to have a site as polite and classy as TWoP. Thanks Mods, and all the members!

• Love 1

Hey guys! I've been around for awhile now, and I have a site question. Is there some place where I can find all the recaps for a season of a show, like they did on TWoP? I've been going nuts looking, and needed a refresher on Bradley. The link from this weeks recap helped, but I'd like to read more.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here's the Bates Motel Archive for all seasons (or you can click season 1, 2, or 3 for a more organized list).

• Love 2
(edited)

Thank you SonofaBiscuit! That's exactly what I was looking for!

ETA: I've seen all the episodes, but guess how I'm spending my evening?

Edited by Mick Lady
  • Love 3

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but if not, then feel free to delete this message.

I bought the final season bluray and as usually, it comes with a Ultraviolet code. I don't need it, so is there anyone interested? Previously I've gave the codes on IMDb, but that's not an option anymore. So whoever's up for it, send me pm and I give the code away. BUT! It only works on UK.