Type keyword(s) to search

Hakeem Lyon: The Kid

Actionmage
  • Start Topic

when i first saw him  i thought he was suppose to be the gay son lol

nothing about this kid screams straight to me and he raps are wack  the sahow would be better if he was cut out

I am curious about Hakeem and his relationship to mother figures. In flashbacks, Baby Hakeem was barely old  enough to sit up and was  gumming bit of corn on the cob pretty tenaciously. Did he , as other posters in the episode thread wondered, if there was any consistent female in his life after Cookie?

It amused me when no one was sympathetic about his Cookie beatdown.  Jamal and Luscious seemed to understand that she didn't start it- she was provoked.Sadly, neither called Hakeem on conveniently leaving out whether he did/said anything to hack her off. 

I liked how he and Jamal don't want their folks to mess up their friendship.  

Yet, in trying to give credit where it was due, he helped further widen the distance between Luscious and Jamal. I read the scene as Hakeem, unhappy with the song, went to Jamal to give him something to take back/ an improvement on their dad's writing because Hakeem wasn't liking Lu's stuff.   Lu's interest in the new stuff dropped as soon as anything positive he felt could be tied to anything musically to Jamal. I thought I saw Hakeem make a face, like 'again, old man?', but was made to keep his attention on his father (Lu got Hakeem's face in his hands and was gushing about the track and Hakeem.)

I would like to see the fun, silly side between Jamal and Hakeem; the "showing-off" scene was fun and light.

I hope that his parents and oldest brother don't succeed in driving Hakeem and Jamal apart. Those two have the must loving relationship on the show and that is the one thing I like about Hakeem.

• Love 3

I don't think Hakeem is "bad" either.  He's just spoiled rotten and has never seen a boundary yet.  I do like his whiny, drama queening over the whooping he got from his mother.  And loved even more that his father and brother thought it just fine that he got it.   I think that is one of the best things to ever happen to him.  I am looking forward to seeing Cookie work on and win her youngest son.  Andre is going to be the hardest one and may NEVER come back to her.

• Love 4

Spoiled and entitled yes, but I think a part of that is immaturity which he can hopefully grow out of that.

He's just spoiled rotten and has never seen a boundary yet.  I do like his whiny, drama queening over the whooping he got from his mother.  And loved even more that his father and brother thought it just fine that he got it.   I think that is one of the best things to ever happen to him. 

I agree, I think that a lot of Hakeem's problems will disappear if he matures/receives some type of discipline.

I did like how after Lucious expressed his anger with Hakeem's actions, Hakeem was upset about his father's opinion of him. Hakeem, like the other sons really does love his father and wants his approval. I was glad he at least wasn't defiant against Lucious, when Lucious expressed anger at his behavior.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
I do like his whiny, drama queening over the whooping he got from his mother.  And loved even more that his father and brother thought it just fine that he got it.   I think that is one of the best things to ever happen to him.  I am looking forward to seeing Cookie work on and win her youngest son.  Andre is going to be the hardest one and may NEVER come back to her.

I like the beating for what it got across to the viewer, but it has its repercussions on Cookie and Hekeem's relationship, when Cookie wanted to console him, he didn't want her to touch him.  I think Cookie has the right to ask no demand respect from her child, but I also think that she had not seen her child in 17 years and the first interaction she has with him is to beat him with a broom that can't be good.  Hakeem does not know Cookie as a person or as a mother, so she can't come in after 17 years and demand the respect a mother should have from him.  

• Love 1

But she didn't argue, let him be and grieve. Hakeem is probably going to hear the unvarnished truth from Jamal. He isn't embarrassed like Andre is and Jamal can remember good and bad times with both parents. I liked that Hakeem was the one to ask about why Cookie seems to think and say the things she does. It shows a curiosity on his part.

I have hopes that Hakeem carves a space for Cookie, that he accepts her and wants her in his life. It's just not going to happen anytime real quick, though.

• Love 2

Considering his reaction to her before she got the broom I doubt he would've reacted differently to her wanting to comfort him either way. 

With this character I have to keep reminding myself that we are only two episodes in.  He will evolve....eventually. And I really hope that he does let Cookie into his life.  I just don't see it happening anytime soon and I don't think he's going to grow up or mature anytime soon either.

• Love 4

Besides, it's a bit late for parental discipline.  Hakeem is technically an adult, and since he's the favored son, it'll be interesting to see what incentive he'll have to change.  Unless Lucious does a 180 and hold him accountable, what reason does he have to mature?

• Love 3

re "Lion in Winter": Someone has to play John.  (Andre is Richard, Jamal is Geoffrey -- only in this case, he's not overlooked, he doesn't want the kingdom)

I've enjoyed looking for the Lion in Winter parallels.  They seem to have switched up the birth order on Empire, though -- cold, calculating Andre is Geoffrey all the way, while Jamal is Richard, the good-hearted son who has the favor of his mother (and whose same-sex relationship causes his father to see him as a disgrace). 

I find myself liking Hakeem mainly because his Lion in Winter counterpart John set my expectations SO low.  Hakeem has at least one redeeming feature, his relationship with Jamal, which is more than I can say for John.

• Love 4

Besides, it's a bit late for parental discipline.  Hakeem is technically an adult, and since he's the favored son, it'll be interesting to see what incentive he'll have to change.  Unless Lucious does a 180 and hold him accountable, what reason does he have to mature?

I wonder when the family will find out that Lucious is dying. I could see that being the thing that causes Hakeem to mature and could draw him closer to his mother. I could see him leaning on Cookie when he finds out that his father will be gone in a few years and realizing she will be the only parent he has left.

Though I don't know when the family will find out Lucious is dying. Maybe that won't happen for a while. If it doesn't happen for a while, maybe the writers will find another way to get Hakeem to eventually mature, and develop a relationship with his mother.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

I find myself liking Hakeem mainly because his Lion in Winter counterpart John set my expectations SO low.  Hakeem has at least one redeeming feature, his relationship with Jamal, which is more than I can say for John.

Richard did inherit, but wasn't really interested in kinging (much like Jamal. he wanted to go off and do his own thing),so the kingdom fell to sniveling, cowardly John (whose known mostly for two Regal failures: the Magna Carta and Robin Hood).  Maybe it's best if Hakeem doesn't get the reins!

• Love 2

After seeing Hakeem going over sites that had the Tiana-and-GF pictures, do we, the audience, know what is actually bugging Hakeem about that?

As Tiana pointed out, he's got Camilla, so Tiana having something on the side should not be a thing.

Lucious tried to point out that, if Hakeem worked the situation just right, Hakeem would have a fantasy date lots of guys would love to happen

Tiana didn't just meet this woman, so Tiana had to known her for a bit, not unlike Hakeem and Camilla.

Tiana didn't blow his story or refuse to work with him after  being found with someone else.

I'm not saying Hakeem can't feel hurt or betrayed, but to act all "you're dating me!" seems like he's buying into the hype of their couplehood a bit much. Or he is possessive in a not good way? 

After seeing Hakeem going over sites that had the Tiana-and-GF pictures, do we, the audience, know what is actually bugging Hakeem about that?

As Tiana pointed out, he's got Camilla, so Tiana having something on the side should not be a thing.

Lucious tried to point out that, if Hakeem worked the situation just right, Hakeem would have a fantasy date lots of guys would love to happen

Tiana didn't just meet this woman, so Tiana had to known her for a bit, not unlike Hakeem and Camilla.

Tiana didn't blow his story or refuse to work with him after being found with someone else.

I'm not saying Hakeem can't feel hurt or betrayed, but to act all "you're dating me!" seems like he's buying into the hype of their couplehood a bit much. Or he is possessive in a not good way?

It might be the good old fashioned double standard, that women are supposed to "stand by their man" while men can play the field. Also, although Hakeem isn't homophobic, having a Bi-sexual GF might be hurting his ego a bit in an immature boy way, as if "oh I can't satisfy you, you need to sleep with women when you've got ME.".........
  • Love 3

It seems like Hakeem is also a bit spoiled and not accustomed to having people say no to him, so he can't handle Tiana having her own thing.  He's like a child that throws away a toy, and then gets mad and wants it back as soon as another kid starts playing with it.

I think the writing and acting for Hakeem are really solid -- the entitled fuckboy is strong in him, but they've done a good job creating some character depth in addition to that.  His rage at Cookie and other women actually reminds me eerily of one of the biggest misogynists I've ever known IRL. This guy's mother had died when he was young, I don't know the circumstances, but even as a grown-up he carried a lot of rage about that abandonment and took it out on women generally.  I see a lot of that in Hakeem.

I think Hakeem was starting to let down his defenses with Tiana.  He was really moved by her defending him on the red carpet with the reporter and whatever she did for him at the music video.  I think he felt betrayed and angry that when he is starting to let his guard down it essentially blows up in his face.  The website he looked at wasn't angling the Tiana/India/Hakeem story as him having two girlfriends and I don't see today's media ever really subscribing to that narrative.  For all we know Hakeem may have been considering letting Camilla go for a real thing with Tiana before he found out about her girlfriend.  I can see why he was upset about it.

• Love 3

Hakeem reminds me of a few guys I grew up with who had absent mothers and over-indulging, rich fathers. Spoilt and immature to a tee. I have no patience for people like that but I know it's due to them never having boundaries or discipline as kids. I always hope that those kinds of people mature with age but sometimes it isn't the case. I actually felt some empathy for him when he was looking at those Tiana/India pictures. He's, as they say these days, caught feelings so finding out that Tiana didn't feel the same way about him had to have hurt BUT then he decided to be a little fuckboy to Tiana and his mother and I went back to not caring about his feelings.

• Love 1

Yeah - I just don't care - at all about Hakeem. I think he's a spoiled entitled brat. Every time he disrespects Cookie for being in jail I want to smack the hell out of him. I have zero sympathy for him. He would have NOTHING if his mother didn't go down for that crime - her money set him up for life.

I just cannot stand him - I don't have patience for this kind of immaturity.

Lucious really did him a disservice never setting boundaries with him.

I do like his relationship with his brother Jamal - but that only makes me tolerate him on the show, not like him or even care about him.

• Love 3

I almost started hooting at the reveal of Camilla's necklace.  (Camilla, in case you missed it? He's essentially a kid.) 

I did like that "Uncle Hakeem" seemed to like his potential niece.  Hakeem and Jamal just taking a couple of minutes together before Lucious dealing with Cookie's reaction was nice. There are times I'm not sure Lucious even likes his boys, but then something happens and there is a moment that feels real between them.

I am just waiting for the "Can you play the tambourine, Yoko?!" scene! Hakeem between Cookie and Camilla will be delicious, even if Hakeem is squirmy. We may get to see if the feelings are genuine on both or either side of their relationship.  Granted, a year isn't super long, but for Hakeem? He seems a bit more invested. It's a thread I am interested in seeing play out a little longer.

You know, I kind of hope Hakeem tries to track down where Camilla is. He's sweet and tries to be considerate.  

Hakeem and Jamal are great together. I don't envy anyone trying to split those brothers up. They have had so much drama already, that I can't imagine that too many miscommunications will stay miscommunicated with these two. Of course, I could be very wrong.

IA with everyone amused that Hakeem was trying to sing "Drip Drop" to Lola.  He has such a big heart, that I think he fell for her too.

I am so curious about what 'Keem is going to do next week!

Hakeem reads Machiavelli.  There are hidden depths.

I loved that detail!!!

Credit to the writers and actor, Hakeem is the character I've made the biggest turnaround on.  I could not stand him at the beginning of the season, but at this point he might very well be my favorite brother.

• Love 2

I get that Laura's family seems an oasis of sanity. I like that Hakeem is generous to his family.  I like that he dreams and thinks big.

I just don't know if marriage is the right thing for him, at this point in his life. He can still be childish and is just a big kid, but he doesn't seem to see much beyond what he wants/ hopes. A marriage on top of Lucius on a 'reward ME' hunt doesn't seem like good timing.  Plus his response to Becky and Jamal's 'don't bang the employees' caution doesn't bode well.

He's not exactly the spoiled kid who earned the broom beatdown in S1, but he still has a way to grow, even though he's grown a bit over the seasons.

• Love 2