Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

Just as I suspected, chances are Hook's secretly a good guy still in Storybrooke (and if not, he'll be one by 5x11), but he's definitely truly villainous in Camelot and is the pawn Nimue wanted Emma to be, crushing the heart of the thing Nimue loves most in order to cast the curse.

• Love 3

So then it means Emma changed Hooks clothes and parted his hair so he'd think he was never the dark one. She sure is dedicated.

Hook needs to have more faith in himself. Its how Nimue was not able to get to Emma. :(

Edited by mjgchick

What the fuck kind of description is that? I feel like I just saw a movie trailer that spoiled everything about the movie in only two minutes.

Just as I suspected, chances are Hook's secretly a good guy still in Storybrooke (and if not, he'll be one by 5x11), but he's definitely truly villainous in Camelot and is the pawn Nimue wanted Emma to be, crushing the heart of the thing Nimue loves most in order to cast the curse.

I'm actually liking this, especially the explanation for how Hook can enact the curse without the heart of the person he loves the most. It seems like this could be the loophole to keep Hook from going so far that he can't be redeemed. And unlike Emma, he actually has killed people before, reinforced by that scene with the rings. He's gone dark in a way that Emma never has before, which is probably why he's more susceptible to the other Dark Ones using him for their own personal gain.

Hook needs to have more faith in himself. Its how Nimue was not able to get to Emma. :(

The poor guy has been dealing with self loathing for centuries. I'm hoping he addresses this in the second half of the season, particularly in relation to his father.

• Love 2

Well, I think we all saw this coming a mile away. There was no way the writers would let Emma go dark enough to kill someone to create the curse, so it had to be Hook. Now let's just hope Merlin's death scene plays out similarly to Nimue's scene with Emma where Nimue is essentially the one doing the killing while Hook just happens to be her puppet. Or maybe Merlin plays the martyr and lets Hook kill him because he wants to keep the future intact. I doubt the show will go there, but maybe Merlin already knows the future outcome of 5B and that Emma will eventually save Hook with a True Love's Kiss™ or something, so he's willing to die now to let that prophecy come true.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 5

Wow....I can't believe how much they gave away! Yes, I definitely think it's Nimue's influence that causes Hook to kill Merlin. He doesn't believe he can resist the darkness the way Emma did. I wish the hiatus wasn't going to be so long. We'll only have one more episode after this one.

I suppose Hook's redemption is that he doesn't kill Rumple in the "dual/duel"?  I really think he'll be going to Rumple in order to get Rumple to kill him.  Also, if Rumple gets scratched by the sword, does he die? I'm guessing not, because the rules for Excalibur are probably completely different in Storybrooke than they are in Camelot.

Why does Hook even want to cast the curse?  It must be Nimue taking him over because why else would crushing Merlin's heart be successful in casting the curse?

What is still really puzzling is Emma's motive.  I get that she was buying time with the memory loss (although didn't Adam and Eddy say in an interview that Emma crushed the heart that cast the curse?)  But we still don't know why Emma made the sword whole again or what she was planning to do with it "tomorrow".  Even if she cut the darkness out of herself, Hook would still be a Dark One.  If she cut it out of Hook, he'd be dead because his life is tethered to the sword, so Zelena and Hook would be Dark Ones together?

I get that the idea is that Hook will make the ultimate sacrifice in the mid-season finale, which mirrors what Emma did in last season's finale.  I guess I don't understand why it's necessary?  Why have both of them give up there lives for each other for misery?  There is no foreseeable happy ending until the penultimate episode in May.  A year (in our time) is a long time for this much angst.

Wow....I can't believe how much they gave away! Yes, I definitely think it's Nimue's influence that causes Hook to kill Merlin. He doesn't believe he can resist the darkness the way Emma did. I wish the hiatus wasn't going to be so long. We'll only have one more episode after this one.

Well and while they've always given us hope going into hiati before, I'm not so sure about this one because we know they are still looking for Hook in 5.13.  Which means no little reunion at the end of 5.11.

Emma should trust her parent to mess things up.  That's all.  

I am just so mad at Mary Margaret for being so negative about Emma.  Not so mad at David, however he should speak up.  

Yeah, I don't get what they are doing (aren't doing) with Emma's relationship especially with Snow.  It's like they are complete strangers.  Perhaps it's Ginny's real life pregnancy that limits her screen time, but it's odd that all of the parenting moments they should have with Emma they have with Regina instead.  It's believable that Snow wouldn't want to change Emma, because the alternative is death.  But Snow hasn't even tried to talk to Emma since they've been back from Camelot.

Hook is having a duel with Rumple, not a dual. 

That drives me crazy!! We know their grammar can be atrocious, but apparently the interns can't even spell. 

That press release is a cold ass mess. ABC intern just gave away a huge ass spoiler with zero fucks to give.

What the fuck kind of description is that? I feel like I just saw a movie trailer that spoiled everything about the movie in only two minutes.

Felt like a slap in the face. lol Maybe the advisory panel descriptions are always this.. succinct? 

Well... I guess we all pretty much guessed Hook was casting the Dark Curse, and Emma was going to override it with the memory-stealing. I feel resigned about Merlin at this point. And yes--I think Hook channeled Nimue. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 2

So the rest of the Camelot Nevengers don't really do anything to Hook other than not try to save him in Birth? Because it sounds like if they try to stop him in Camelot then they are right to do so. Previously I thought they distrusted him before he embraced the darkness, but if he embraced it right away and immediately tried to cast the curse, then I don't blame them. 

Is the actress playing Nimue in both 5.10 and 5.11? I can't see how this stuff with Merlin would happen without showing us Nimue.

But why was Merlin telling them to contact Nimue before Dark Hook came for him?

I thin it's probably because Nimue beat the darkness, and managed to get herself out of it. Dark One Nimue is like Clippy!Rumple. Merlin's message is probably moments before he dies. He has no reason to lie about this.

I also can't even find it in myself to feel bad for Merlin, and I'm not even sure this wasn't his wish all along anyway. 

Dang. I can't believe they gave such a big spoiler away. Like, wow. really? Maybe the intern or whoever figured everyone knew he wasn't going to make it to the end of 5a, so he/she said screw it.

Nimue better be behind this nonsense. It kind of has to be. Elliot did say in one of his interviews that there was still quite a bit to be seen of Nimue.

If it's not, and we're paired with Regina possibly being inserted into Hook's dad's storyline, I'll need convincing to not drop the show.

Rumple and Nimue in Hook's head? That poor man. His most loathed enemy and a lady that'll try to reduce him to nothing and make him feel worthless.

I wonder if Merlin will pull an Obi-wan Kenobi.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

That press release is a cold ass mess. ABC intern just gave away a huge ass spoiler with zero fucks to give.

It's not actually a press release. It's from the members only ABC advisory fan panel. This is the same place that the pic of Emma waving Excalibur over Hook in the field of flowers came from. They seem not to care about spoilers too much there!

Is the actress playing Nimue in both 5.10 and 5.11? I can't see how this stuff with Merlin would happen without showing us Nimue.

Spoilers for 5x10 are VERY scarce, but she's definitely in 5x11.

• Love 1

Okay, big spoiler in that description, and I have to say I did not see that one coming. I figured Emma crushed Hook's heart to cast the curse (BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT A&E SAID IN THAT INTERVIEW DAMMIT), and I was busy trying to figure out how Hook was still alive (DO immortality? Heart splitting?). But if Hook crushed Merlin's heart to cast it, it had to have been really Nimue who did it, since Hook does not love Merlin best of all things. 

My question is: Why does Nimue even want to cast the Dark Curse? Why does she want everyone to go back to Storybrooke? I can't think of a single reason why she would give a shit.

• Love 4

Okay, big spoiler in that description, and I have to say I did not see that one coming. I figured Emma crushed Hook's heart to cast the curse (BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT A&E SAID IN THAT INTERVIEW DAMMIT)

That's not what they said though.

The person who asked the question assumed that Emma cast the curse, and they asked if she would've used a heart, and the reply was that this is a dark curse, so you need the heart of the thing you love most.

So they didn't confirm that Emma cast the curse.

They're jerks like that.

• Love 2

Maybe they need all living current and former Dark Ones present to perform the ceremony to snuff out all the light? Or to resurrect all past Dark Ones? Really the only difference between Storybrooke and Camelot is that Rumple isn't physically in Camelot. 

Edited by InsertWordHere

My question is: Why does Nimue even want to cast the Dark Curse? Why does she want everyone to go back to Storybrooke? I can't think of a single reason why she would give a shit.

This is what I can't figure out either. Clippy!Nimue wants to destroy the light. Why would she need to go to Storybrooke for it? Unless something happens in Camelot that messes with her plans somehow?

I guess Merlin must not be in that snow globe..or is he? I have no idea anymore.

This is what I can't figure out either. Clippy!Nimue wants to destroy the light. Why would she need to go to Storybrooke for it? Unless something happens in Camelot that messes with her plans somehow?

That's my best guess.

On another note, have we had any spoilers about Bex filming for 5B? If she isn't tagging along with the group to the Underworld, I'm thinking there's a good chance she doesn't make it out of 5A alive. There's just something about the way Lana worded her one interview about how she "wasn't sure if Zelena could truly be redeemed" that makes me think Zelena will meet a demise similar to Cruella. (And I'll bring amazing celebratory gifs to the episode thread if Dark One Hook is the one to off her... even though I've begrudgingly come to like Zelena more than Regina in 5A.)

Why does Hook even want to cast the curse?  It must be Nimue taking him over because why else would crushing Merlin's heart be successful in casting the curse?

I believe Hook summons Nimue like Emma did in 5x07 to cast the curse. I'm still not sure why he (or Nimue) wants to cast it.

If you cast the curse, don't you get to decide who comes along? Why does Hook/Nimue/DarkWhatever want Arthur along? Why on earth do they want Merida along? It's a women he met for five seconds and saved from prison. Why her and not her three mute brothers? Why not the crazy witch lady? Why not Blackbeard?

How is Hook managing to cast a curse on somebody he is totally "meh" about? If it is somehow Nimue, then why is she killing Merlin now? She was content to tree him many years ago and he apparently did nothing more to her. Why does she need to get to Storybrooke (I can kind of see Hook wanting to go to kill Rumple, but then he's not killing Merlin).

I'm okay with Merlin getting killed because he's Blue 2.0. He never tells anybody anything. I can see why he might be reluctant to reveal prophesies, but things like "don't get scratched by Excalibur" and "beware that my spell books allow people to tether me to the sword" should surely be within scope. Heck, tell them to retrieve the sword while they are doing the prison breakout. Let people prepare for things.

This entire plot twist reeks of "amazing story" , forget continuity and all kinds of sense.

It's like they are using the Calvinball to play volleyball.

• Love 3

That is my question, too.

Will Merlin really be dead?  I thought I read a spoiler from Adam/Eddy that stated Merlin would be key to the Dark Swan/Hook resolution.

He could be key while still being dead, because of some prophecy. Or he's like Obi-Wan Kenobi now.

On another note, have we had any spoilers about Bex filming for 5B?

She told a fan at a convention this weekend that she had filmed with Colin & Jen on Friday.

I believe Hook summons Nimue like Emma did in 5x07 to cast the curse. I'm still not sure why he (or Nimue) wants to cast it.

I suppose Hook could want to get back to SB so he could get to Rumple to kill him. Nimue, I have no idea.

I don't expect any of this to make actual sense in the end. I just hope Hook comes out not completely ruined.

Edited by Souris

if the voices are driving Killian stark staring bonkers...and I think we all know that the prospect of seeing Rumple 24x7 would do that...he"ll be desperate for any solution. .he may either choose to channel Nimue so she can get them out of there but he doesn't have to go full Dark to do that. ....but he might once he physically crushes the heart.

Other possibility. ...and most likely. .Nimue pops in as a balm after earworm Rumple has broken him down to the point she knows she can manipulate him and promises him can get rid of both Rumples ..head and the real one..if he casts the curse.

Edited by PixiePaws1
  • Love 2

If you cast the curse, don't you get to decide who comes along? Why does Hook/Nimue/DarkWhatever want Arthur along? Why on earth do they want Merida along? It's a women he met for five seconds and saved from prison. Why her and not her three mute brothers? Why not the crazy witch lady? Why not Blackbeard?

The curse brings in everyone from a certain radius, whether they're on the Guest List of Evil or not. It's everyone from the outside and in other realms that are cherrypicked. 

• Love 3

Where's that prayer circle gif when you need it?

*prays that Hook's character avoids complete assassination

*prays that at least some of this crazy mess makes sense. Some would at least be better than none.

*prays that Regina being shoehorned into Hook's past even more feels more organic than it probably will be

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 9

So that must mean that Emma and Hook are reunited in 5x13? That is what they are currently filming, right?

I'm not sure if she meant she filmed with them together or separately. Like, she could've filmed with one and then with the other. But it would've been for 5x13, yep.

I'm very perplexed by that spoiler, since we didn't see Zelena with the group going to the UW. And I find it hard to believe they'd be back from the UW that soon, though I suppose that's possible. Flashback? Flash forward? Zelena finds her way to the UW some other way? She died & they meet her there? WHAT???

I'm surprised they're sticking with the Captain Wicked Swan interaction if that's true. I mean, I'm enjoying their interaction currently, but I'm intrigued that they're sticking them together again after this arc.

If Zelena doesn't die in 5a, she'll probably croak in 5b. She's been fun as of late, but her character isn't built to last forever unless they suddenly decided to redeem her.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
The curse brings in everyone from a certain radius, whether they're on the Guest List of Evil or not. It's everyone from the outside and in other realms that are cherrypicked.

But why Merida? She's in her own kingdom. Does she run to Camelot for tea?

In fact, I would argue that it seems quite unlikely that Merida should be swept up by the curse at all. Zelena and Arthur escape from the Neverengers. The Neverengers immediately head off to Grannies to unite the sword and dagger. Zelena and Arthur argue with Merida. Hook falls down dead and gets made into the Dark One. Later that day or the next or something, Merida becomes Queen of the clans (after her father has been dead for two years). Does she skip out of her coronation party to come to Camelot? Or does Hook mope aroud Camelot for two or three weeks waiting for Merida to show up before going after Merlin?

If Merida gets cherry-picked, why would Hook or Nimue want ther? It's utter nonsense.

Emma used the Dark One dagger to summon Nimue because all the Dark Ones have been etched on that dagger. Hook is tethered to the sword. The only one he should be able to call with the sword is Merlin. Calvinball.

[bex]  had filmed with Colin & Jen on Friday.

Zelena could still be dead. It is the Underworld.

Edited by kili
  • Love 1

Hook believes Merlin can see the future. ....remember freeing Lance and Merida....if Merlin admits he saw Killian nearly die from a sword graze and saw Emma would turn him Dark...oh...yeah ...Merlin got a big old target on his back but hopefully because Killian is furious over what it put Emma through

But why Merida? She's in her own kingdom. Does she run to Camelot for tea?

In fact, I would argue that it seems quite unlikely that Merida should be swept up by the curse at all. Zelena and Arthur escape from the Neverengers. The Neverengers immediately head off to Grannies to unite the sword and dagger. Zelena and Arthur argue with Merida. Hook falls down dead and gets made into the Dark One. Later that day or the next or something, Merida becomes Queen of the clans (after her father has been dead for two years). Does she skip out of her coronation party to come to Camelot? Or does Hook mope aroud Camelot for two or three weeks waiting for Merida to show up before going after Merlin?

If Merida gets cherry-picked, why would Hook or Nimue want ther? It's utter nonsense.

Um, the ending of 5x09 made it very clear that Merida was headed back to Camelot to get revenge on Arthur.

• Love 2

I think Emma brought the folks from Camelot along not Dark Hook. All Nimue needed was for a Dark One to create the curse but Emma five finger discounted the curse so she can try to fix not only her mess but whatever Hook and maybe her parents and Regina did. We still don't know why she's angry at them.

Also its a whole other meaning to Emma telling Henry everyone else disappointed her. She was also probably talking about herself and maybe even Hook. Oop.

the ending of 5x09 made it very clear that Merida was headed back to Camelot to get revenge on Arthur.

Agree. She very likely just gets pulled along with the Dark Curse. 

I think Hook is motivated to get back to Storybrooke and take revenge on Gold. Seeing Clippy!Rumple would be enough to make Hook go raging mad, especially if Clippy! tries to incite him against Emma for DarkOneing him. Hook would rather channel all his anger on the Crocodile, than on the woman he loves. However, in Storybrooke, he finds out that Dark Emma not only made him the DO, but also stole his memories and kept him from getting revenge. So, he turns his anger on her as well. I don't know how I am going to bear Hook hurting Emma intentionally. Someone hold my hand. There had better be an explanation on why memory loss kept Hook from going all Dark One in Storybrooke.

Clippy!Nimue is most likely playing both Hook and Emma. 

• Love 4
Um, the ending of 5x09 made it very clear that Merida was headed back to Camelot to get revenge on Arthur

Fair enough. I forgot how stupid she is and how she needs to relearn the "revenge is not the way" lesson every other day. Naturally, she goes by herself. That guy with the blue paint should totatlly be the new King once she gets sucked into the curse. He seems a lot more level-headed and practical than she does. At least Captain Kirk tended to bring an away team with him when he went down to the planet. Merida perfers to go by herself with no explanation and pick up random strays along the way. Blue guy realizes he has an army and brings them along so he doesn't get in sticky situations.

We still don't know why she's angry at them.

I expect that plot point to get dropped. We are probably going to deal with a rampaging Hook for the next episode, so there is little time for the others to mess up.

• Love 2

Um, the ending of 5x09 made it very clear that Merida was headed back to Camelot to get revenge on Arthur.

In fact, I seem to remember a spoiler that she was going to try to get that revenge in 5x10. This episode is going to be packed. And not in a good way.

• Love 1

I'm so annoyed about the "Sacrifice."  Emma and Hook have done so much to change their lives and give to cast of characters and their reward is that Hook has to die and Emma has to go through hell to get him back?  Really?  Can't they have a moment's peace?  The worst that Snow and Charming went through was the Apple and not knowing each other in Storybrooke.  Regina and Robin just got a free baby and Belle puts up with whatever Gold is selling.  Why is it so hard for Hook and Emma?  I'm not looking forward to Sunday and Hook suddenly being mean to Emma.

• Love 2

So many questions...

1. How can Dark!Hook kill Merlin in Camelot if Emma can control him with the Excalibur fragment? Does she not act quickly enough to intercept him or does her family interfere in some way (thinking they are doing good but in reality mucking everything up).

2. Nimue never really 'possessed' Emma. Emma had to confront and defeat Nimue in order to obtain the flame to mend Excalibur. She was going to leave that encounter either with the flame or with dead Merlin -- in which case Nimue would have given her the flame I guess so she could have used Excalibur to destroy the light. God this is so confusing! It's like horcruxes and hallows all over again.

3. Presumably casting the curse to get back to SB was to keep Emma from restoring Excalibur and defeating the darkness while in Camelot. After all someone put it in the sword in the stone - Hook? Merlin? -- which added a delaying tactic since a hero was required to extricate it.

4. So I guess what Zelena still didn't show Hook was that he killed Merlin.

I feel like Nimue still loving Merlin and the voice mail are clues that Nimue has some change of heart or redemptive path in SB but I can't quite spin it all into a story.

Edited by chrisvee

This storyline is a complete mess, and every new spoiler makes it even worse.

So there's a score for 5x11 called "The Sacrifice." Either Hook is sacrificing himself, or Emma is sacrificing him to save everyone else.

At least I hope A&E let him be the hero and sacrifice himself, but I doubt it. 

Why is it so hard for Hook and Emma?

Well, A&E think that happy couples are boring and that Emma's happy ending should be the last.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 4
Hook will forever be the guy who killed Merlin. :(

Maybe it will be Merlin's fault. He'll forget to mention one of the side effects of something or other but this time, he is the one that ends up dying. "Oh, right. When I told you to use the potion in the green bottle, I should have mentioned the green bottle you are supposed to use is  in the vault hidden under the floor in the invisible building you've never heard about. The green bottle right in front of us contains an uncurable poison. I guess I'm dead."

Edited by kili
  • Love 3

Yeah, this should not come as a surprise.  "Happy people and happy couples make for boring television" has LONG been a rule for TV producers, which is why they always pile on the angst and "drama".   A&E have been very forthcoming about sharing this view, saying that people wouldn't like watching "42 minutes these characters being a regular couple".

And hey, let's at least be comforted knowing that CS isn't anything special, given the contrivances they're always giving Rumbelle and OQ to keep them as "exciting" couples (Snowing is happy, thus boring, thus completely underwritten now.)

At least I hope A&E let him be the hero and sacrifice himself, but I doubt it.

I don't. This show has seldom ever used "sacrifice" as someone sacrificing another person for their own means.  It will either be Hook killing himself like Rumple in 3A, or letting himself be killed like Charming in 3B before the heart-split.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 1

I'm not even conflicted about this. I'm not saying that Hook is in the right, because he's not. But with all the things that Merlin has done so far, I wonder if this is not an outcome he wants, and is going for. 

The guy has been on his own path since he was freed from the tree. He has his own agenda, and he is following it.

I still don't understand why no one has ever asked him what cutting the darkness out of Emma means. 

• Love 4

Question, would you guys rather have Emma kill Merlin or Hook?

With either Hook or Emma killing Merlin it feels like the writers wants their cake and to eat it too by making it really Nimue who kills him. I don't like that because now we must think of how Rumples actions are not all him.

If my suspicions are true and we get a clippy Merlin for Hook in the present-day (who will confront Nimue in 5x11), then Merlin may indeed have wanted to be killed because he foresaw that this was the only way he could help now.

And honestly, I think it's better Hook than Emma.  We've already seen that Hook is pissed at Merlin, so it makes more sense for him to do it under Nimue's influence than for Emma to.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 4

What if the Merlin voicemail is a disembodied Merlin? I mean what if he's just projecting himself from somewhere else? We know he can do that from a tree. So him being free, with full on magical capacity.

And if Merlin dies, does he really die? 

I think there's some kind of another "twist" coming up with this.