Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

If that's actually the dialogue that ends up on screen, I really need a video maker to clip together the very final minutes of Season 4 and the immediate aftermath scene in the premiere to show how bad that line comes off. Being sassy might seem okay after an entire hiatus where everyone has gotten used to the idea of Emma being the Dark One, but in the context of the actual scene that plays out for the characters in the story, it seems like truly horrible timing to go straight from Emma struggling with the black cloud and telling Regina she deserves a happy ending, Regina running to Robin's arms looking on in horror, and then immediately saying it was a stupid decision. Maybe if it was Season 3 and Regina was still struggling with her abrasive personality, but it's freaking Season 5 and she's supposed to be the savior this season. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out for real.

• Love 1

We obviously don't know if this is the entire dialogue, but there's a crisis at hand and Henry is standing right there!  One mother nearly died and the other one got sucked into some sort of vortex.  I enjoy sassy Regina enough, but when it calls for it.  Given the gravity of the situation, where 4 people just lost Emma, calling her stupid doesn't help.

On another note, I kind of like that Hook gives no shits and picks up that dagger.  As a very and I mean very unpopular opinion, I've actually sort of missed the dynamic between him and Regina and the truth flinging.

• Love 7

She would call someone who just saved her ass stupid but it's probably because she feels guilt. Whatever show. I'd love for Dark Swan to tear her a new one but knowing this show Emma will probably end up apologizing. She'll be the only villain to actually apologize for their misdeeds. lol

• Love 1

I'm not one to play Regina defender bit I read her calling Emma stupid in character for her and I would even suggest the survivors guilt that Emma put herself at risk again to save people. Not that she actually thinks Emma is an idiot.

• Love 4

What a surprise, Regina being ungrateful again. I really don't understand A&E and the way they write Regina at all.

The scene with Hook trying to summon Emma is going to be painful.

We don't really know if the Beer Garden thing with DS is a commercial, right?

I was going to ask the same, but it makes sense. I haven't seen all the pics from yesterday (I'm not at home and the hotel wifi is pretty bad), but I don't think Jennifer interacted with the rest of the cast. But I like the idea of this being a glimpse into the future that gives the other characters (and the viewers) an idea of what is going to happen if they don't save Emma on time.

I hate Dark Emma's hair and make up, it's terrible. But the dress is nice.

On another note, I kind of like that Hook gives no shits and picks up that dagger.  As a very and I mean very unpopular opinion, I've actually sort of missed the dynamic between him and Regina and the truth flinging.

I wouldn't mind an antagonistic friendship between those two, especially if they allow Hook to snap every time Regina makes a sassy comment about how being the new savior is so hard and Emma was so stupid for making her feel so guilty. I get that making snide comments is her defense mechanism and she might not mean 100% what she says, but it gets so incredibly frustrating that no one on the show is ever allowed to snipe back at the comments.

• Love 5
Here's a wacky theory: If Camelot's time moves differently or it's "timeless," maybe the Dark Swan that arrives in SB in the premiere is from the future, so we see what she will become. But when everyone journeys to Camelot, it's in the past, so they can try to prevent her from going full Dark. Along the way, we see Emma starting to go Dark, interspersed with flashes of her going Dark in the "original" timeline.

I like that theory. And it would explain some of the weird vibe I get from the Camelot scenes, where Hook has Emma on his arm, he's been reunited with his love, but he's got the clenched jaw thing going on and looks like he's in pain. That would make sense if he's already seen full-on Dark Swan from the future, and seeing present not-yet-dark Emma is painful because he dreads what's to come.

Thinking more on the stuff about Emma being somewhat liberated from constraints, being more sensual, etc., after becoming the Dark One. It really has become a TV cliche that the dark version of any female character is going to be hypersexualized (and probably bi/omnisexual). Just once, how about having the evil version be an ice queen who doesn't go in for icky human closeness, just to shake things up? But Emma isn't really such a restrained person to begin with. She seems to eat whatever she wants without worrying about whether it's good for her. She drinks when she wants to. She dresses simply, but those leather jackets and boots she wears aren't cheap. It doesn't sound like she held back from sex in past relationships. She might want to indulge in living space -- I could see her wanting a whole castle to herself instead of staying in a small loft because it makes her parents happy. If she's not already sleeping with Hook, that might be a different kind of indulgence, enjoying the anticipation of a slow build. Where she could really let go is in how she spends her time and what her priorities are. So, along the lines of "Oh, there's a cleavagey nutjob threatening the town? Sorry, I'm busy marathoning Game of Thrones, and the Red Wedding is about to start. That's my favorite part. Why don't you ask Regina for help? She's the one who always saves the day anyway after I've put my life on hold. You might as well cut to the chase and skip the part where I sacrifice for nothing." Or the one reason where self-restraint and being "good" might play into what's going on with Hook, if she's holding back out of some kind of guilt about not getting Regina her happy ending: "Sorry, Regina, you're going to have to make your own damn happy ending, like everyone else in the universe. I've got a hot pirate waiting for me, and it's about time I got a happy ending. Preferably several, depending on his stamina." And only on this show would that be considered a sign of evil instead of being perfectly healthy.

Random thought about the similarity between Arthur and Hook: It may not have anything to do with the plot because the arc was planned before Arthur was cast, but Merida's appearance had to be pretty specific, since it was based on a movie character, and that didn't show up in the casting notice, and they even hid the identity of who they were casting with the "Rumple's mom" fakeout. So there is a slight chance that they cast Arthur looking for a resemblance to Hook without that showing up in the casting notice because that's meant to be a surprise twist. Or the casting person just has a type.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm not one to play Regina defender bit I read her calling Emma stupid in character for her and I would even suggest the survivors guilt that Emma put herself at risk again to save people. Not that she actually thinks Emma is an idiot.

I agree that she doesn't actually think Emma is an idiot and she's masking her guilty. But she is a grown ass adult, standing in front of her son calling his mother who could be dead an idiot. She's standing in front of some so-called friends (the Charmings) who've supported her through her bullshit and calling their daughter an idiot. So, they better have scenes of her supporting Snow like Snow always freaking supports her, that's all I'm saying. 

katmtan says DS is not a commercial but an actual scene.

I like that theory. And it would explain some of the weird vibe I get from the Camelot scenes, where Hook has Emma on his arm, he's been reunited with his love, but he's got the clenched jaw thing going on and looks like he's in pain. That would make sense if he's already seen full-on Dark Swan from the future, and seeing present not-yet-dark Emma is painful because he dreads what's to come.

That's interesting. I'm trying to think how it would work.

Trying to summon the DO is immediately after the finale.

The Zelena-Robin thing is maybe the day after? Or even a week, but not enough that Zelena is showing.

Camelot is the same day as the Zelena-Robin thing, and that's still "normal" Emma.

Then we have Dark Swan...? It could be something they're shown in a "magic ball", "future hallucination" etc that they summon with the wand Zelena is trying to get? Like, after not managing to summon the DO, they go to the Blue Fairy (we know she's in the ep) to ask her how to find Emma. She suggests using that wand. They use it and it shows the DS. At the same time, Zelena manages a prison break and wants the wand to get rid of her cuff and get her magic back. After that confrontation, someone (Snowing?) uses the power of the wand to get to Emma, which leads to Granny's getting to Camelot, where they find Emma... completely normal.

Emma, who in the meantime has been doing...? Who knows. Maybe she's already met Arthur, and she's the one leading them to Camelot?

Edited by Serena
  • Love 1

I was going to ask the same, but it makes sense. I haven't seen all the pics from yesterday (I'm not at home and the hotel wifi is pretty bad), but I don't think Jennifer interacted with the rest of the cast. 

Jennifer filmed inside Granny's with the others, but since it was inside nobody could see what was going on, hence no spoiler pics or discussion about it.

Jennifer filmed inside Granny's with the others, but since it was inside nobody could see what was going on, hence no spoiler pics or discussion about it.

Reunion scenes?  Which actually makes sense to me at this point.  The one thing the Camelot scenes lacked were reunion scenes.  And yes, I absolutely acknowledge that they could have been filmed at some other point, at another location.  So to me at this point, everyone including Emma probably made the trip to Camelot together.  And if everyone is inside Granny's then it makes even more sense.  

I'm actually buying into my own speculation at this point.

I thought the inside of Granny's was a soundstage? 

Someone pointed out Emma's Dark Swan dress is very similar to Morgana's evil dress from Merlin.  I doubt it means anything at all since the two shows have no connection that I know of, but it's amusing to me since they're doing Camelot.  

Here is another report of the Zelena scene:

So what this scene is most likely about: Zelena wants a wand because she wants to keep her baby (somehow she got the cuff off) and so she chokes Robin Hood and then Regina gives her the wand she swirls the clover necklace from oz around it and then she points it up something happens she falls then Regina puts on the cuff takes the wand and David holds zelena and basically we all think that zelena called a tornado because David says YOU WANNA HIGHJACK A TWISTER? And that's how they get to Camelot because they also filmed a scene just blowing giant fans at granny's and that's how granny's ends up in the woods

So this is the point where they go to Camelot, and Zelena is the one who wants to go? But they find Emma there? Who knows.

• Love 1
So this is the point where they go to Camelot, and Zelena is the one who wants to go?

If she wants to keep her baby or more like keep her baby away from Regina then I can see her trying to go there on her own.

But yeah...does a magic tornado work like a portal where you can just think about where you wanna go and it dumps you there?

Boo! to Sneezy being turned into stone. My poor misunderstood pharmacist. Aside from Doc's Miata, more crap happens to him than any of the other dwarfs. Dark!Emma should have turned Bashful into stone. It's not like anyone would notice the difference -ha. *Gasp* I just had a horrible thought. What if Sneezy is the dwarf Emma despises?! Sad day!

I thought the inside of Granny's was a soundstage? 

I don't know. Just reporting what some people said. Maybe they were just hanging out & not filming. Maybe the soundstage is identical to the real Granny's site & they can use either. Though one of the people onstage thought she heard "Action, Colin" on a walkie-talkie while they were inside.

(edited)

I'm pretty sure I saw a pic of Jen as Dark Swan with script or whatever they use during rehearsal.  So there is dialogue

Sneezy seems to have really taken his role to heart with the red jacket, the boots and the beanie.  

I'm assuming episode 2 will start filming this week and I wonder now that everyone has left for Camelot if they'll be using Steveston at all.  

Edited by YaddaYadda
(edited)

Report is they're filming in Steveston on Wednesday the 22nd! (ETA: I went to find the source to link, and that Twitter post has been deleted. So … maybe not.)

Edited by Souris
(edited)

Here's my theory about the spoilers, reposted from my Tumblr. Sorry for the TL; DR

I think they’re gonna do a flashforward, not a flashback like usual. Both Jen and A&E have said that we’ll see Emma struggle with the darkness, and it’ll be a slow “slide”, she won’t suddenly be evil. BUT the first episode is called “The Dark Swan” and there’s pics of Jen in a clearly evil/Dark Swan outfit from 5.01 filming. How can that be a slow slide into darkness? It can’t, so it’s clearly a flashforward. Here’s a quote from Adam and Eddy:

What can you tell us about Emma (Jennifer Morrison) as the Dark One? What are her powers like and has she gone full on evil?
EDWARD KITSIS: The right answer is you’re going to see both. We intend to show you how she would become dark and what would happen if she was.
HOROWITZ: It’s a slow burn as opposed to all of a sudden.

Now, look at Eddy’s quote. He’s speaking freaking nonsense. I know, he’s Eddy, but “how she would become”? Why not “how she will become”? And “what would happen if she was”? Also, what does  "you're going to see both" mean? Both what? That doesn't answer the question asked at all.
Except maybe he can’t say “how she will become” because actually the real “twist” of the season is that they’re shown a flashforward of the Dark Swan (hence the title of the episode and the filming spoilers of the Dark Swan destroying the beer garden and turning a dwarf wearing her clothes into stone). And they need to find Merlin who knows of a way to destroy the darkness before Emma can 100% become Dark Swan. This allows them to have it both ways: they can have their terrible and delicious “original” villain fucking shit up in flashforwards, they can show Emma slowly being tempted into darkness in the present, *AND* they can save Emma before she becomes Dark Swan in the present so they don’t fuck up their main protagonist. Makes sense, right?

So I’m guessing things go like this:

• Scene picks up where we left off. Regina does her Regina thing. Hook tries to summon Emma, fails. Regina reginas some more (I’m trying to make the verb “to regina” a thing, you can guess what it means). End scene.
  • Zelena gets free of her cell, kidnaps Robin. She wants a wand (she can’t do magic by herself anymore) because she’s decided to peace out of Storybrooke and go raise her kid somewhere else. She wants to use a “twister” (similar to the tornato that brought her to Oz?). She gets the wand, tries to summon the twister, apparently fails. David goes to try and restrain her. But the twister arrives, takes everyone plus the whole building of Granny’s to Camelot. They find Emma there, seemingly normal.
  • Either before or after getting transported to Camelot, they see a vision of DS in the future destroying the beer garden in front of Granny’s. Maybe the garden is what has been built to replace the old building destroyed by the twister? Now, I’m not 100% on this. It’s possible that the Dark Swan/beer garden thing is a flashforward only shown to the audience. But I think it would up the drama factor if the characters (minus Emma) see it too.

From the video reports of filming of the twister hitting Granny's, they had removed the beer garden for that. As far as I understand, the filming went:

1. First scene of the day, dwarf wearing Emma's clothes and driving the sheriff car arrives at the beer garden. 

2. Zelena scene, they are in the middle of the street and Granny's is not featured.

3. Dark Swan scene, she arrives at the beer garden. She turns the dwarf wearing her clothes into stone (continuation of 1.), destroys the garden.

4. The crew removes the garden, adds wind machines to create the "twister". 

5. Continuation of the finale, middle of the street, Granny's is not featured.

Clearly 1. and 3. are connected chronologically, and take place in a flashforward/flashsideways world. 

Edited by Serena
  • Love 6

Great theory, Serena...very similar to one posed by Yadda Yadda and I hope you're right because I can live with this chain of events. It may be the fear of seeing what she could become that contributes to her going dark. I stil suspect the set for the beer garden is meant to indicate a time marker.i.e. get the darkness out before oktoberfest...

(edited)

A flash forward of a possible future makes perfect sense. Hook knows that the future can be changed (based on his and Emma's Time Travel adventure). So, every one will be in a mad rush to change the course of events and save Emma.

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 3
very similar to one posed by Yadda Yadda

Thank you, but not my speculation.  I think it might have been Souris.

Mine speculation is that Emma manifests herself like that because she became the Dark One in Storybrooke.

This may be the only glimpse of Dark Swan that we get right away. The rest of the arc will show the slow descent of Emma into Darkness. Slow by ONCE standards at any rate. When she has turned full on Dark One, someone will talk her down and help break the Dark One Curse forever. Thematically, Hook would be the best fit to do that, considering the Dark One has been his nemesis for so long. But the introduction of Merida has me thinking it might be Snow, and I will be okay with that. I just hope it won't be Regina, or random guest character of the season. That's all I ask... 

• Love 6
Thematically, Hook would be the best fit to do that, considering the Dark One has been his nemesis for so long.

Beyond Emma becoming the Dark One, this is the part that I find most interesting in that he nearly managed to dispatch the Dark One (before they made into whatever is living inside Emma now).  Hook is the only person who managed to inflict actual damage and he didn't need the dagger to do it.  He nearly succeeded where Merlin seems to have failed.  Hook's maiden voyage to Neverland is the single one thing that led to that end result.  It makes me sort of wonder if there isn't more where that came from and if there isn't a real connection between Hook and the Dark One that goes beyond what Rumple has done and Emma becoming the new Dark One.

• Love 2
(edited)

Knowing how this show loves to go for the *surprise twist!* without any build up, I'm going to place a bet that the scene where Emma is fully dark and destroying the Beer Garden is the very first scene of Season 5 and a flash forward. Then, the black screen will pop up with text saying "1 Year Earlier" or whatever, and then we'll get the immediate aftermath of the dagger scene where Hook tries to summon her.

At least, that's what I'm hoping for because that means Adam & Eddy kind of listened to the legitimate criticism that the flashbacks have gotten tired and repetitive.

Thematically, Hook would be the best fit to do that, considering the Dark One has been his nemesis for so long. But the introduction of Merida has me thinking it might be Snow, and I will be okay with that. I just hope it won't be Regina, or random guest character of the season.

I'd 100% be okay with Snow being the one to ultimately bring Emma back to the light because I miss their Season 1 relationship so. damn. much. But yes, thematically and canonically (is that a word?), Hook makes the most sense. Not only should he know the most about the Dark One and its powers because he spent hundreds of years trying to defeat it and had plenty of time to research everything about it (Hook has even admitted he's surprisingly good at research), he also seems to naturally understand Emma on an instinctual level more than any other Nevenger. So with that being said, of course it'll probably be Regina because TS;TW.

Hook is the only person who managed to inflict actual damage and he didn't need the dagger to do it. He nearly succeeded where Merlin seems to have failed. Hook's maiden voyage to Neverland is the single one thing that led to that end result. It makes me sort of wonder if there isn't more where that came from and if there isn't a real connection between Hook and the Dark One that goes beyond what Rumple has done and Emma becoming the new Dark One.

While I find this all really fascinating, I doubt the writers do. At most, Hook will most likely get a couple throwaway lines where he gets to play Belle's role and say some useless factoids like: "I've researched the Dark One and its powers for centuries, perhaps I could be of assistance in this situation... The dagger cannot be destroyed unless its owner is also destroyed. Do you really think I spent my entire life chasing The Crocodile without knowing that?... You must twist the dagger counterclockwise to get the mechanism to work. I took ​Dark One-ology 101..."

Edited by Curio
  • Love 3

I know this won't happen because we need at least 3 flashbacks detailing every one of Regina's bowel movements per season, but I would love it if the flashbacks were Dark Swan flashforwards of her generally fucking shit up. It would be INTERESTING, at least. The reason the flashbacks were interesting in S1 was because we were finding out new stuff about the people we knew in present time (Snow and Charming didn't like each other! Red is the wolf! etc). We could still have character-centric episode, except instead of them going back to a random moment in Snowing's life they can flash forward to how they're dealing with DS in the future. Meanwhile, they're trying to stop the future from happening in the present (or "past", or whatever) timeline.

We'll probably get a scene similar to Willow and Xander where Xander talks Dark Willow from skinning every one alive. I liked that scene even though I've longed hated both characters by that time. I just thought the actors did a great job and I can see Jennifer with Colin, Ginny, or Josh doing a great job in something like that. I know people didn't liked it because it was a guest star but I did love that Elsa "Love yourself." scene. I miss Frozen Swan.

Beyond Emma becoming the Dark One, this is the part that I find most interesting in that he nearly managed to dispatch the Dark One (before they made into whatever is living inside Emma now).  Hook is the only person who managed to inflict actual damage and he didn't need the dagger to do it.

This could get interesting because both the Dark One itself and whatever it might have absorbed from Rumple have reason to hate Hook, and Emma absorbed all of it. Rumple loathes Hook for taking his wife and generally being his exact opposite. Hook nearly destroyed the Dark One. How might Emma be affected as the Darkness affects her more? The essence of the being/person who hates him more than anyone else does is now residing in the body of the person who loves him more than anyone else does (since pretty much no one but Emma loves him right now).

So of course the final showdown and saving will be between Regina and Emma.

• Love 1

Okay, I just had a huge lightbulb moment. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but...is the scene where Hook picks up the dagger with Emma's name on it the very first time he's finally gotten to hold the Dark One's dagger since he started his quest to find it centuries ago? (We're not including Rumple-as-Hook here.) If so, that's so incredibly ironic and heartbreaking.

• Love 4

Okay, I just had a huge lightbulb moment. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but...is the scene where Hook picks up the dagger with Emma's name on it the very first time he's finally gotten to hold the Dark One's dagger since he started his quest to find it centuries ago? (We're not including Rumple-as-Hook here.) If so, that's so incredibly ironic and heartbreaking.

Yes it is.  They even had that line in 4x15 (don't judge me, I remember lines) after they found out that Belle had given the dagger to "Killian" to hide, he said that after all the time he spent trying to get his hands on it, he would remember if he had it.

I don't know if you saw the clip of him walking to pick it up where Robin tries to stop him.  He looks very stunned by what just happened and Snowing are pretty much rooted in their spot the whole time he goes, picks up the dagger and tries to summon the Dark One.  

It's funny how this show has a way of sucking me right back in just when I'm about to throw my arms up in the air and slam the towel to the ground.  

• Love 3

I'm okay with it being Snow or Hook. Id say Charming too but I think Snow needs it most. They need to get their relationship into a better place. But capt swan is my otp so that's OK too

(edited)

I feel like everyone (and by "everyone," I mean Hook, Snow, Charming, Henry, Regina, and possibly even Rumple) will have a hand in "saving" Dark Emma. But some may have more significant roles than others. I'll probably end up flipping some tables because I can already guess which people will get more prominence than the others, but I doubt it'll be one specific person who flips that switch.

Here's my timeline theory: We know this show likes to bookend their first and last episodes, so if the premiere begins with showing a flash forward of Dark Emma destroying the beer garden, then either Episode 10 (the Fall finale) or Episode 21/22 (the Spring finale) will finally catch up to that flash forward in the real timeline. I'm curious whether or not the writers will actually draw this out as long as they say they will, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing that beer garden-destroying Emma by Episode 10.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 2

The flash forwards make sense since we're supposed to see Outlaw Green baby's birth. Even if it's pushed to 5B, there has to be a time jump. These writers haven't been able to pace long periods smoothly since S2.

• Love 1

Rumple being anywhere near Emma makes me very nervous.  He may not be the Dark One anymore, but I don't think anyone should trust him just because of what he tried to do to Emma twice and then in the AU.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I guess somebody is going to pay the "price" that all magic comes with in Ep. 2. Given that Chambliss/Horgan tend to write Hook eps....

Edited by Souris
  • Love 1

I guess somebody is going to pay the "price" that all magic comes with in Ep. 2. Given that Chambliss/Horgan tend to write Hook eps....

Chambliss/Horgan aren't the primary Hook writers, that's Goodman. But Chambliss/Horgan do tend to write some decent Hook scenes in their episodes.

I'm guessing "the price" the title is referring to is something Emma has to give up in order to continue on as The Dark One. (Not like she hasn't given up enough...) But I'm not even going to begin speculating what that price will be because it'll most likely be some random thing pulled out of no where that makes no sense, like giving up her ability to Truly Love™ someone because of reasons.

• Love 1

Season 1 Episode 4 was called "The Price of Gold." Those titles are way too similar to not be related in some way. I'm guessing this will be a very Rumple-centric episode.

• Love 1

I'm thinking this is the start of the Camelot back story and I'm going to go with Arthur on this one.

Maybe we'll kill two birds with one stone and get Camelot backstory and Rumple backstory by explaining how he got that magical deus ex machina gauntlet.

• Love 3

Maybe we'll kill two birds with one stone and get Camelot backstory and Rumple backstory by explaining how he got that magical deus ex machina gauntlet.

Right, the story to nowhere.  Rumple seems to have collected some stuff from Camelot.  Seems like he might've taken several trips there.  I wonder how the good people of Camelot will react seeing the man they knew as the Dark One not being the Dark One anymore.

And given the parallel thing whatever confusing thing the writers have come up with where Camelot basically exists in it's own bubble, I have to wonder if they haven't seen every single person that has become the Dark One come through there.  In Hook's lifetime (as far as we might know), there have been 3 different Dark One, Zoso, like when he was born, Rumple later on and now Emma.

What I find sort of interesting with the whole Rumple/Dark One & the Camelot dynamic is that while people seemed to seek out the Rumple/Dark One for favors and deals to get what it is that they need, Rumple as the Dark One just seemed to go to Camelot for shits and giggles and steal from them.  

(disclaimer: This is obviously my own conclusion, so of course, since I have been completely wrong before on 99% of the stuff....then yeah...you know...)

(edited)

Based on past season, 502 should be a Snowing or Regina episode. Since Josh was talking about Charming and Arthur's bromance a lot at CC, I'm gonna go with Snowing episode with Arthur flashbacks.

Edited by Serena