Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

My heart just sank with that promo.  I have been avoiding any detailed spoilers.  I didn't know they were going to make Emma evil.  Did Rumple say that they needed to mold someone whose heart is filled with darkness?  I can't bear to rewatch that.  

I don't think they're turning her evil.  If they do, then I don't know what to say.  

I'm assuming there will be a lot of manipulation and I have the feeling we will be seeing some young!Regina parallels from the time Rumple enlisted both Jefferson and Whale in assisting him.  At this point, I'm thinking that Rumple foresaw something regarding Emma he's trying to bring to pass, just like he did with her birth and the curse breaking and what happened in season 2 while the ladies were in the Enchanted Forest, trapped in Rumple's cell.

• Love 1

My heart just sank with that promo.  I have been avoiding any detailed spoilers.  I didn't know they were going to make Emma evil.  Did Rumple say that they needed to mold someone whose heart is filled with darkness?  I can't bear to rewatch that.

I doubt they're going to do that, at least to the full extent they'd want us to believe. She'll probably be "tempted" to go to the dark side after whatever she learns from  her parents, but that'll be it. Emma going dark just doesn't work this early in the game... how am I kidding. It's this show. Sorry, Camera One.

In theory, Dark!Emma would be a very interesting twist, if done well.

Agreed. I've thought for a long while, "What if Emma became angry and unintentionally used dark magic?" How would she react to that? How would her family react to that? However I think 4x07 already closed that case, sadly.

Edited by KingOfHearts

In theory, Dark!Emma would be a very interesting twist, if done well. But I agree with the majority opinion that with this show, it is not likely to happen. No matter how much Hook "fights" for Emma's heart, it will be Regina saving the day yet again. Emma didn't get to save the day even in the half-season that was supposedly focused on her, and 4B is clearly going to focus in Regina and OQ. It would be a naive to expect anything else at this point. At least JMo will enjoy playing a different version of her character. That, and all the little CS moments will be interesting to watch. But otherwise, I am going in with extremely low expectations, and that feels strangely freeing. I am a little concerned at further character assassinations of Snow White and Charming to prop up Regina, but sadly, those two have become little more than props now anyway. 

Edited by Rumsy4

I am a little concerned at further character assassinations of Snow White and Charming to prop up Regina, but sadly, those two have become little more than props now anyway. 

That's what I'm worried about too.  I know they are treated like dust bunnies on a good day but I really hate watching them get destroyed to prove A&E's point about heroes and villains.

• Love 3

At least JMo will enjoy playing a different version of her character. 

I'm not altogether sure about that. Actors do tend to enjoy playing villains more than heroes, but she's said several times that her favorite thing about Emma is that she always tries to do the right thing. So I don't know how much she'll relish playing Emma if she does go too dark, since she really seems to love Emma's goodness and gets so excited when good things happen for Emma.

She posted a lot of messages on Twitter last night about a movie she did and two links to Oscar articles by a friend. And a retweet of an Emma the Savior picture a friend tweeted. Not one peep about that promo. Given the hate she gets on Twitter pretty much anytime she mentions the show, she might just have sworn off talking about it anymore. I wouldn't blame her a bit. But I found it interesting that during a rare Twitter flurry, she didn't mention that promo. 

I'm probably reading too much into it.

Edited by Souris

Haven't seen this posted yet, but there's a quick shot of Emma and Regina shooting some magic at Maleficent* in dragon** form in a new ABC promo here. (Jump to 0:17)

*I'm just guessing that it's Maleficent.
**Might not be a dragon. Could be a demon. Or a demon dragon zombie. Who knows with this show anymore.

Okay, apparently it's Chernabog. (Thanks YaddaYadda.)

Edited by Curio

The Alien Vampire Bunnies only show up for the climactic arc moment. If they show up too early in the season, they lose their special Alien Vampire Bunny qualities (mainly, coming out of nowhere and having nothing to do with the previously established plot elements). I need to come up with another term for the things that show up early in the season that seem like they're setting up something very important but then fall by the wayside and end up meaning absolutely nothing.

Depending on what role the demon dragon thing ends up playing, maybe the setup items that are forgotten will become Random Demon Dragons.

I doubt they're yet filming this season's Alien Vampire Bunnies.

Maybe that's the "darkness on the edge of town".

First episode back:

Everyone walking around, "Ain't life great!  So peaceful!  Sorry, am I jinxing it?"

Flying demons in the sky.  

Emma: "What the hell is that!"

Emma and Regina use their powers to drive it off.

Begin formula:

- Emma and Hook or Charming go trekking in the forest to look for clues

- Regina goes sulk

- Belle goes read a book to find out more

- Snow or Henry does something random in C Plot

- Bad guys go muhahahahahaha somewhere

- Heroes find a vital clue, just as the flashback reveals it

Rinse wash repeat

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

I'm just confused about an Emma going dark storyline since the writers have pretty much been Regina, Regina, Regina, villains, Regina, Regina. And filming spoilers based not on what's going on, but who's actually been filming and how much, seem to imply that that pretty much tracks with A&E's All Regina, All the Time story. If Emma is in relatively little of the story, her going dark is going to make even less sense because it will come out of nowhere. I guess there's precedent though given Rumpel's sudden yen for world domination. I just don't see this as being that big a part of the plot. Or maybe they have one episode where Emma thinks bad thoughts and then she gets a hug and it's all fine because that's how this show handles Emma and her issues.

That promo made it seem like the main part of Rumple and the Queens of Darkness' plan is to mold Emma into evil.  So throughout 4B, we will see Rumple, Cruella, Maleficent and Ursula play their roles in molding Emma (eg. Cruella gets Emma to pet an evil pitbull, Ursula gets Emma to eat evil shrimp - each of these will allow us a glimpse into each Queen's backsobstory).  Maybe the Queens of Darkness try to tempt Regina to join their scheme, but Regina ends up saving Emma from herself and her inner darkness (Emma's own black hole in the heart).  Because of this, Regina is deserving of a happy ending.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I'm not altogether sure about that. Actors do tend to enjoy playing villains more than heroes, but she's said several times that her favorite thing about Emma is that she always tries to do the right thing. So I don't know how much she'll relish playing Emma if she does go too dark, since she really seems to love Emma's goodness and gets so excited when good things happen for Emma

I'm sure any actor would love the opportunity to portray a different aspect of their character (not necessarily villainous). JMo has said that she didn't mind being the only person to not wear EF costumes, but really enjoyed it when she had to in 3B. I doubt Dark!Emma is going to last more than an episode at most. However, I do suspect JMo is not too pleased with all the Regina-worship.

So, they are going to free him from the hat with the fairies, aren't they?

Eh!  Who knows anything at this point, really?  The whole episode timeline with what we got is extremely confusing for one thing.

We should be getting a sneak peek sometime this week, which should make things even more confusing than they already are.  And that monstrosity is supposed to reveal something about Emma.  It's sad that this is the single one show I look forward to be back on screen like ALL THE TIME.

New interview with Adam and Eddy for Disney Fan Club.

D23: You’ve revealed the Sorcerer’s hat—and shown its great power. But we have yet to meet the Sorcerer himself. Will it be Yensid, and will he come to retrieve that which belongs to him?

Adam: It’s something we’ll explore in much greater depth in the second half of the season. And in the premiere there is some iconography from Fantasia that makes an appearance.

Eddy: And hats can be passed on. So we’ll have our own Once twist on it and who it belongs to now.

Yeah, that thing is the Chernabog from Fantasia.

D23: Speaking of Aurora, any chance we’ll see Mulan back?

Eddy: We’re trying! We have an idea for her for next year. This year, there are a lot of new characters we are introducing. We really love Jamie [Chung] and we really love Mulan, and we really want to finish that story.

Adam: There’s a long list of things we hope to get to, with Mulan being at the top of it.

Eddy: With the Queens of Evil, as we like to call them, they are really coming in to forward our core characters’ stories.

They don't see the contradiction, do they? We can bring Mulan back because we are introducing a lot of new characters, but we are going to concentrate in the core characters. Well, I guess that if by core you mean Regina and Emma, then yes. Because the rest, including Snow, are just background noise.

My favourite quote is this:

D23: We talk a lot about themes each year. And it feels like the theme of the second half of this season is, “Can villains have happy endings?”

Eddy: I also think there’s a theme of ‘What makes a hero and what makes a villain?” and maybe it’s not as black-and-white as we think. We’re definitely going to be exploring the grey area. We’ll discover some of the villains aren’t as villainous as we thought, and maybe the heroes aren’t as heroic as we thought.

I leave this here for all of you. I'm a polite girl and I prefer not to say a word about this.

Edit to add that I love how there isn't a single question there about Regina.

We’re going to get some insight into Hook and some secret fears of his own.

I wouldn't get too excited about this. We are probably going to discover that he is scared of puppies. Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 1

Adam: From the perspective of our characters, she was dead. And from the perspective of our characters, she remains dead. Every now and then, we don’t pick our words with quite the exactitude we’d like.

No shit, Sherlock. I think that applies to your scripts, too.

The only new-ish/interesting part for me:

D23: It seems like enough time for Emma and Hook to be, well, hooked up.

Eddy: They’re kind of in a good place. We’ll see them as a couple facing the world. We’re going to get some insight into Hook and some secret fears of his own. And we’ll see Hook has a backstory of his own with one of the queens of darkness.

Edited by Curio
We’ll discover some of the villains aren’t as villainous as we thought, and maybe the heroes aren’t as heroic as we thought.

This reminds me of the reality show villain trope - "They just edited it to show the bad things I did".

Yes, well  you still did those bad things and that is what we are judging you on. I don't care how many cats Regina freed from trees or babies she kissed, she still murdered her father, slaughtered a village, raped a man for 30 years, killed indiscriminately and burned her step-daughter at the stake (or at least tried very hard to do so). Even the worst people from our world have a few redeeming characteristics - doesn't make them non-villains.

And good luck finding some non-heroic things for Snow and Charming to do. These guys have been shown to be near saints. The person who spares her tormentor from the execution she very much deserves will be tough to believe as a despot. A&E will have to find some dirt that doesn't seem like ret-conning.

• Love 3

And good luck finding some non-heroic things for Snow and Charming to do. These guys have been shown to be near saints.

Here's the thing - they've written themselves into a corner because Regina is now considered part hero and has been absolved of all her past actions. So they could literally make Snow and Charming burn someone at the stake, attempt to kill a baby, poison a child, or massacre an entire village, but since Regina is off the hook for those actions, (in theory) the Charmings should also be off the hook for whatever the heck the writers make them do in the past.

• Love 7

They sure love hearing themselves talk.  A&E remind me of politicians.

D23: It seems like enough time for Emma and Hook to be, well, hooked up.

Eddy: They’re kind of in a good place. We’ll see them as a couple facing the world. We’re going to get some insight into Hook and some secret fears of his own. And we’ll see Hook has a backstory of his own with one of the queens of darkness.

I'm guessing whatever we get for him will be during Ursula's backstory because I'll be surprised if he gets something this season seeing how many characters we have in just one half.  So, there's a bit of Robin's backstory, Ursula, Cruella, Maleficent and Lily.  So that's 5 episodes dedicated to those guys, plus the obligatory fairyback for Snowing and how evil they are, Rumple and Regina.  So that's 8.

Also, got to love how Cruella was just thrown into the mix, because she might be fun.  Good to know that the reasoning did not go beyond that.  And what fun would she be if she also had magic!  Can we get a non magical villain, please!  Strip everyone from their magic and let them deal with this like normal people who have to think things through.  No?  Ugh!  Fine!

• Love 1

The Zelena question is interesting, because if she is only in a flashback, they could have just said that. Their wording makes it sound like she is also in the present day?

Yep, I called it. Zelena's never been truly dead.

So excited about Chernaborg, simply because of the Fantasia iconography. Maybe the Sorcerer keeps dancing ostriches and hippos, the Greek gods, dinosaurs, and the sugarplum fairies in there? (Well, the fairies are in there now...)

I'm disappointed we won't be seeing Anita or Roger. I'm still hoping Cruella will have originated in LWM since she doesn't fit in EF at all, but that's unlikely. It's sad that they only want her because she's fun and they'll ignore the rest of the franchise.

Edited by KingOfHearts

I'm really excited for him too! I actually wished for him in the wishing thread. I'm just worried that he's going to be way too easy to defeat when the could really better use him as an epic cliffhanger. But he'll end up being something similar to Emma's defeat of the Dragon in season one but with no sword and Regina's help. No thanks.

I'm disappointed we won't be seeing Anita or Roger.

Really?  Given this show, they said they're going to retrace Pongo's lineage which I personally could not give two flying fucks about to be super honest.  It took them 3 seasons to say anything at all about David's father and Hook is a blank slate.  

There was talk about an older man and an older woman filming in Regina's house last week which happened to be Cruella's backstory.  And even though A&E are saying that Anita and Roger will not be appearing, we all know how those two are.  Anita and Roger won't be the young couple we knew from the cartoon.  They will be their older versions instead.  I think I'm close enough.

But yay!  We got somewhat (?) spoilers.

I'm really excited for [Chernabog] too! I actually wished for him in the wishing thread. I'm just worried that he's going to be way too easy to defeat when the could really better use him as an epic cliffhanger.

Looking back at some of the past premiere episodes, I think there's a 100% chance this Chernabog will be destroyed by the end of the episode. He's probably the prerequisite scary-monster-that-inevitably-dies-in-40-minutes to kick off the new season just like The Wraith, Walsh in Monkey Form, and Elsa's Giant Snow Monster.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1

"Arrendelle is not coming back."

Read; Disney won't let us touch that ever again because we screwed it up so bad.

Actually, I thought it was pretty well explained that Frozen was always going to be on a short-term loan since Disney wants to do a Frozen sequel or anything else to milk that franchise for every dollar it can get. Plus, if Frozen was indeed screwed up (although I liked it), that was partially Disney's fault since they took an active role in the script approval process for the Frozen storyline.

That is why I'm kind of concerned about this half. It seems like there will be alot of moving parts but not as much oversight as they was with the Frozen arc.

And as for Mulan, I'm assuming that's a scheduling issue more than anything. Jamie Chung has been quite busy with other projects.

The way this is all sounding with so much stuff going on is kind of making me hope they're getting it all out of their systems now as a way to set up season 5 when the focus will somehow be back on the main and secondary characters without all this other flotsam and jetsam around. That would be a good place to add in someone like Mulan for example.

• Love 1

So I'm guessing the timeline of 412 will be moving back and forth between 6 weeks ago, present time.  I'm guessing the freeing of the fairies happens fairly quickly in the episode where we'll have Belle and Hook teaming up, then the whole thing at Granny's (I don't see them having a party with the fairies still in the hat) and the fight with the monstrosity towards the end of the episode (where David says just when things were getting back to normal), Rumple and his flunkies showing up at the tail end of that.

I just saw the "Emma flirts with Evil," promo...where is the one with the dragon???

Mitch, you can find it p:183 of the thread, Curio's post.

Edited by YaddaYadda
I think there's a 100% chance this Chernabog will be destroyed by the end of the episode. He's probably the prerequisite scary-monster-that-inevitably-dies-in-40-minutes to kick off the new season just like The Wraith, Walsh in Monkey Form, and Elsa's Giant Snow Monster.

Don't forget the scary Neverland mermaids at the start of 3A  that tried to destroy the Jolly Roger and caused a massive storm that nearly caused Emma to drown - never heard of again after that (we just get the super-nice mermaid Ariel with no explanation as to why she is so nice while the other Mermaids are stone-cold-kill-at-first-sighters). We don't even know what happened to the Wooden Mermaid that was on the deck. Pushed into the sea?

Here's the thing - they've written themselves into a corner because Regina is now considered part hero and has been absolved of all her past actions. So they could literally make Snow and Charming burn someone at the stake, attempt to kill a baby, poison a child, or massacre an entire village, but since Regina is off the hook for those actions, (in theory) the Charmings should also be off the hook for whatever the heck the writers make them do in the past.

Not to worry, it's This Show. Snow is still apologizing to Regina for being a spoiled brat by not allowing herself to be murdered easily when she had the chance. I'm quite show that Snow doing something even remotely evil (like squashing an ant) will never be forgotten or forgiven.

• Love 2

No question about Will? No Anita (maybe aka Ruby's mother)? I'm exploding here.

Not so surprised about Mulan not showing up this season, we may not see Phillip too.

Wondering if Archie will appear again with Pongo.

And if they mean "the core characters" to be Regina, Emma and The Charmings then I'm pretty sad since they appear on every episode with the characters in a certain arc, which is too boring. They just completely ignore talking, taking my favourite characters to the show again.

With all this talk about Emma and her heritage, the dark secret of the Charmings and Emma going dark, I'm pretty sure that Snow (with or without Charming) made some kind of deal with one of the Queens of Darkness, and now Emma has to pay the price of it or she (or her loved ones) would die.

And as for Mulan, I'm assuming that's a scheduling issue more than anything. Jamie Chung has been quite busy with other projects.

Actually, Jamie Chung said not that long ago that she was free and that she really wanted to come back to the show. Edited by RadioGirl27

With all this talk about Emma and her heritage, the dark secret of the Charmings and Emma going dark, I'm pretty sure that Snow (with or without Charming) made some kind of deal with one of the Queens of Darkness, and now Emma has to pay the price of it or she (or her loved ones) would die.

We still don't know how Snow got her hands on the "Dark Fairy Dust" that turns people into bugs. Maybe she traded one of the Queens for that? Likely Malificient. The first born tends to be the payment for these things, so I guess Malificient gets to be the mother of an emotionally stunted 30 year old?

"You not only sent me alone to a new world as a newborn you also traded me for some fairy dust? Just how many times did you sell me?"

• Love 4
"You not only sent me alone to a new world as a newborn you also traded me for some fairy dust? Just how many times did you sell me?"

Nah, This Show. More likely, "I understand, you had no choice." And it will be resolved with a hug after her parents show their love for her by needing her to do something.

• Love 5

Hook and Emma are "kind of" in a good place in the premiere?  Huh?  Has Emma spent the last 6 weeks just drinking with Regina then?  How can they not be in a "really" good place with no villain to chase for 6 weeks?

Anyone else think they will mirror Regina and Maleficent with Regina and Emma?  This does appear that it will be the season of Regina and Emma's friendship.  Did anyone besides SQ ers really want to see that explored? 

I also don't care about what Robin has been up to in NYC.  It's hard to believe that they brought on Will as a season regular just so he could date Belle who's barely a regular herself.  Why invest so much into Belle?

D23: You’ve revealed the Sorcerer’s hat—and shown its great power. But we have yet to meet the Sorcerer himself. Will it be Yensid, and will he come to retrieve that which belongs to him?

Adam: It’s something we’ll explore in much greater depth in the second half of the season. And in the premiere there is some iconography from Fantasia that makes an appearance.

Eddy: And hats can be passed on. So we’ll have our own Once twist on it and who it belongs to now.

So...I'm guessing the hat plot will go on for the rest of the season.  So...the hat belongs to someone else now?  I think the whole star on the wrist pretty much marks who the hat belongs to then...Lily?

• Love 1

Doesn't Belle theoretically have the hat now? Or maybe Hook, since Belle took off (did she take it with her when they poofed away?). If they're trying to free the fairies from it in the first episode back, someone in Storybrooke has the hat. I suppose they'll give it to Regina, since Regina is deserving of all the things. After all, who better to be caretaker of the hat that allows someone to amass magical power than the person who used her magic to be a dictator of an entire kingdom?

• Love 1

Yeah, I suppose the hat does belong to the Sorcerer, or now to whoever the mysterious mansion belongs to. Maybe the person who lives there is invisible and getting really tired of people just barging in, rummaging around, and taking things. But it's currently in the possession of probably either Belle or Hook, maybe Emma, until they find the owner of the house.

I had a crazy thought about Lily -- what if she's from the Enchanted Forest originally and got sucked back when the curse was reversed? Since Hook and Neal got taken back even though they weren't brought over by the curse in the first place, and it doesn't sound like them just leaving town was an option, it would be likely that if there were any other people out there in our world who were born or conceived in the Enchanted Forest, they'd have been abruptly brought back with everyone else. And then she'd have been brought over again in curse 2. It's only been maybe a month at the most since curse 2, and Emma's been busy, so it wouldn't be totally ridiculous for adult Lily to have been around all this time without noticing Emma or Emma not noticing her -- or maybe her noticing Emma but not doing anything about it. What would it do to a grown woman who had no idea that there were other worlds or that magic even existed because she was sent away and then adopted as an infant if she suddenly found herself in some magical world? Then her memory would have been wiped for the return, so she'd have suddenly found herself in this strange town in Maine, and even the return of her memories wouldn't help matters because she'd still be suddenly in this strange town that she couldn't leave.

Of course, on this show, that would be prime material for making her a villain.

• Love 1
Doesn't Belle theoretically have the hat now?

Belle did not take it with her, She had the dagger in her hands and was busy throwing her idiot husband out of town.

Or maybe Hook, since Belle took off (did she take it with her when they poofed away?).

I doubt Hook has it either. He had to lug his heart all over town before Emma finally found a few seconds to shove it into his shoulder outside Grannie's bathroom. He is not shown with hat eiither.

But the hat belongs to the Sorcerer technically and was being guarded by his Apprentice.

At one time, yes. But, by the time we get to Storybrooke, the hat is sitting in an empty house (Belle had cased it for a while and despite several trespassing events, nobody ever comes in and yells at people to get the hell out of his house - absentee owner or somebody trapped outside the townline when they made a 7-11 run at thje wrong time?). The apprentice is certainly not guarding the house or watching the hat - he seems to be guarding his recliner and watching Netflix.

The hat probably got left in the tower. Somebody will magically think to retrieve it when the plot requires it.

The CS stuff from that article was good:

"As far as her and Hook, she's beginning to open her heart up," Edward Kitsis told the room of journalists. "So, for us, it is watching Emma open her heart up, even though she's about to find out some really bad information. For Hook, we are going to realize that he's got some things going on in his head that he's concerned about," he teased.

I think Emma's been opening her heart up to Hook for a while, but I'm still excited. And I'm going to guess that Hook's issues are about the hat or other bad things he's done in the past. I wonder though if he's ever concerned about the fact that he's no longer immortal and actually has a finite amount of time to live? Does he want to get married and have kids? Probably too soon in their relationship to discuss things like that, but I still think about it. :)

I'm thinking Regina is the safe keeper of the hat now, since I think she had it in the promo, and it would make sense to keep it in a vault. Her vault is questionable, but most of the town seems to trust her now, which is insane, but, this show.

Edited by pezgirl7
But, by the time we get to Storybrooke, the hat is sitting in an empty house

An empty house that Rumple confirmed belonged to a powerful sorcerer, said house was brought over by the second curse.  It wasn't there before.  

Once Upon A Time: EPs Talk Emma’s Relationships With Hook & Regina

Three words: Click bait title.

Regarding this, I'm going back to what I did all of the first half, accepting that Regina is part of the story and then ignoring her completely.  It makes my life a lot easier and the show more enjoyable for me.

• Love 1