Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

(edited)

I thought she said, "Regina, what are you doing?"

Yeah, me too. A paparazzi was there said they were being attacked by something from greek mythology, and one of the fans that was also there said that both Colin and Jennifer had already left when they shooted this scene.

And, really, I hope A&E are clever and avoid opening that can of worms that would be Emma trying to kill Regina's boyfriend.

This sort of reminds me of when Zelena tried have Hook drowned.

They have tried to copy any significant moment in Hook and Emma's relationship with OQ, so I wouldn't be surprised. It seems they are probably also copying the dance in that same episode.

Edited by RadioGirl27

Robin losing his heart would parallel Daniel. But Regina will save her current bf by sharing her (resilient) heart with him. I'm at the stage where I'm still wondering what these two see in each other, and they might already be sharing hearts! lol

• Love 1
(edited)

Robin losing his heart would parallel Daniel. But Regina will save her current bf by sharing her (resilient) heart with him. I'm at the stage where I'm still wondering what these two see in each other, and they might already be sharing hearts! lol

Can't we just get an Outlaw Queen wedding and be done with it? Regina can drink the fertility potion during the ceremony, just like Snow! Then she can get preggers with Savior No. 3!

Edited by KingOfHearts

Can't we just get an Outlaw Queen wedding and be done with it? Regina can drink the fertility potion during the ceremony, just like Snow! Then she can get preggers with Savior No. 3!

And then that baby could grow up alongside its sibling/cousin, Zelena's baby! Wouldn't that be sweet?

All of this makes me realize just how little I care about OQ.  If the show is supposed to last 7 seasons, why are they moving them at warp speed like that.  Actually let me take that back, if they go down the War of the Roses road for OQ, I might be completely down with it.  Both die at the end, problem solved for me.

(edited)

The writting for OQ is terrible, and it makes no sense to move everything so fast. I expect wedding this season and baby (after Emma puts her life on hold again to find a fertility potion for her) next season.

Maybe they plan to kill Robin and they want a strong relationship, with wedding, babies, TL, so it hurts more and gives Regina a good excuse to go back to be a villain.

Edited by RadioGirl27

All of this makes me realize just how little I care about OQ. If the show is supposed to last 7 seasons, why are they moving them at warp speed like that. Actually let me take that back, if they go down the War of the Roses road for OQ, I might be completely down with it. Both die at the end, problem solved for me.

Right? If it was any other couple going through that scene, I'd be slightly interested. With Rumple and Belle, it would be kind of interesting in a totally dysfunctional way that works for them. With Snow and Charming, it would be interesting if the writers remembered they share a heart, so if one person was in mortal danger, the other would feel it and possibly die too. With Emma and Hook, it would at least be a sign that Dark Emma still cares deeply about someone. But with Robin and Regina, it's like...okay that happened, I guess.

To be honest, when I watch the video of that scene, I'm paying more attention to the fact that Arthur joined the cheesy Guardians of the Galaxy lineup, which seems to contradict the scene where he confronted Grumpy and Happy in Storybrooke and looked like he would kind of be the red herring villain of the half season.

On a slightly different note, I was thinking about the possible ball Arthur might be throwing our Storybrooke guests and how this could potentially be an opportunity to give Robin an actual personality. It would be funny to see Robin, Charming, and Hook all standing together watching the fancy dancers in the ballroom near the royal bar when Snow goes up to Charming and says they should dance for a bit. To nobody's surprise, Snow and Charming bust out a beautiful waltz and wow everyone with their gushy love for each other. Then, Robin (who should know nothing about royal dances because he appears to have avoided that upper class lifestyle in favor of living in the woods) would lean over to Hook and whisper, "This event is a drag. Who has the time to learn these silly steps anyways? I think we've got it best by sitting this out and sticking by the liquor table." And then Hook would smirk and say, "Speak for yourself" and ask Grey Swan out onto the dance floor. So then Robin attempts to dance with Regina, but Regina actually shows some of her true personality in front of Robin and gets annoyed with him for not knowing how to properly dance like an upper class person, and ditches him to dance with Percival. (I might take my longer discussion about upper class Regina and lower class Robin to the relationships thread.)

• Love 4
(edited)

I am really surprised (and a little disappointed) that there have been no mentions of the Jolly Roger in filming so far. I was so sure the Jolly would be involved in the quest to find Emma/Merlin, but apparently Zelena's Twister took everyone to Camelot. I wonder why the writers returned the Jolly to Storybrooke if they weren't planning on using it soonish. I hope it comes into play sometime this season! 

Edited by Rumsy4

They have a full scale set to use in green screen. We had no idea it would be in the season 4 finale. Just because we haven't seen any mention doesn't mean it won't be used. To be fair they are only to ep 2.

• Love 1
(edited)

JM: They do establish with all of the Dark Ones in the past, which they kind of go back through in the beginning of the season this year, that everyone takes the Darkness for a good reason ... Before that, they mention some of the earlier Dark Ones, and their good reasons for choosing the Darkness.

That looks interesting. I'd like to learn more about the Dark One lore and the earlier Dark Ones. Finally there's some... *gasp* worldbuilding.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
(edited)

So maybe the scene of JMo filming with DO Rumple (and Merida?) from one of the very first set reports for 501 was them "going back" to him taking the darkness? Like he could be explaining to her why he did it?

Edited by Serena

I'm a bit disturbed by the idea that previous Dark Ones had a "good reason" for choosing Darkness. Yeah, they may have had some mental justification for doing it, but then most evil people have some rationale for their evil. It makes sense for someone like Emma, who didn't kill anyone and who did it to save someone else and might end up going down a bad path because she overestimated her ability to handle it. But Rumple murdered someone in order to get the power of the Dark One for himself. Rumple double-crossed Zoso, not just stealing the dagger in order to free Zoso from the evil duke, but killing him. That's not a "he had a good reason, but the Darkness eventually won" thing. That's pretty darn dark before the Dark One entered the equation. There really should be a distinction between someone who took on the Darkness to save another person's life with the expectation that her loved ones could save her from it and someone who killed because he wanted to have it for himself, even if he initially wanted to do good things with his power.

I do like the theory that Merida might have had something to do with the past rather than adding a new character to the present. She's Scottish, so maybe she and Rumple are from the same place. Though we know how Rumple became the Dark One, and he was in the Enchanted Forest at the time, and his origins shouldn't have much to do with the past of the Dark One. Unless maybe we're going to find out he was somehow destined and it's not his fault at all in any way.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm a bit disturbed by the idea that previous Dark Ones had a "good reason" for choosing Darkness. Yeah, they may have had some mental justification for doing it, but then most evil people have some rationale for their evil. It makes sense for someone like Emma, who didn't kill anyone and who did it to save someone else and might end up going down a bad path because she overestimated her ability to handle it. But Rumple murdered someone in order to get the power of the Dark One for himself. Rumple double-crossed Zoso, not just stealing the dagger in order to free Zoso from the evil duke, but killing him. That's not a "he had a good reason, but the Darkness eventually won" thing. That's pretty darn dark before the Dark One entered the equation. 

ITA. I find that problematic that apparently every DO had a "good reason" to become the DO. Very white-washy of Rumple's actions. And very in keeping with this show's tendency to woobify all villains. Surely someone or two simply wanted the power. That's not a good reason.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 5

Seriously, Jen??? Is that the crap A&E are trying to get us to buy? It isn't evil to murder someone in cold blood? Zoso wasn't threatening Rumple

I can't judge the previous Dark Ones ..we don't know their stories yet..but Rumple had a good enough reason to kill???

I just vomited in my mouth a little....!

• Love 2

Yes as some people were thinking, this arc may be used to separate Rumple from the Dark One and thus absolve Rumple from his evil acts as the Dark One. I think Rumple was more interested in the power to humiliate and subjugate that being the Dark One gave him...he just rationalized it by saying it was for his son.

• Love 4

I get what Jen is saying about Rumple though.  He was desperate to save his son from going to the front.  He didn't have to kill Zoso, but as far as I recall from that, he was sort of manipulated into it because Zoso was just generally speaking tired of life and just plain sucked at it, plus he was being controlled.  It's what Rumple chose to do afterwards that sinks all his motivations.  We don't know how Zoso became the Dark One and what kind of Dark One he was either.  But we know why Emma took the powers.  It wasn't out of selfishness or wanting to become super powerful.

At the end of the day, the love Rumple had for his son wasn't even enough to salvage him and neither was whatever he felt for Belle.  Guess we'll see what happens with Emma soon enough.

• Love 5

I think your interpretation is spot-on, YaddaYadda.

I don't see this as somehow radically reinterpreting Rumpel's story - his  primary motivation was to save his child and the other children being sent to war. Did he have secondary motivations not to be humiliated and kicked around? Sure. But his drive to act was based on this unalterable deadline of Bae being taken away within the next couple of days.

From what we saw of him before the events of Desperate Souls, had he had time to think, he would have likely scared himself out of action. Instead,
Zoso manipulated and cajoled him along the path that led to Zoso's desired outcome: his own death.

It's what Rumple chose to do afterwards that sinks all his motivations.

For me, this is the big question - once invaded by the DO, how much "choice" does one have? Where is the line of control between the DO and the host body? Or does it just addle the brain of the host to the point where they can't define right or wrong, just needs and desires?

That's exactly why I think what Rumple chooses to do now will be crucial. Now that he's free of the DO, does he chose to live a peaceful life with Belle? Or does he go after the power again? Obviously, I think he'll do the latter. I also think Emma herself will end up 'destroying' the DO, doing what Rumple wasn't capable of, and letting go of the darkness.

• Love 7
Now that he's free of the DO, does he chose to live a peaceful life with Belle? Or does he go after the power again? Obviously, I think he'll do the latter.

Oh, without question. A more imaginative show would allow him to settle into a peaceful life with Belle, really focus on that ideal future and put it within reach, before taking it away again. Instead, there's a 99% chance that he's going to be a wanker from the moment he arises. As always, there's all sorts of foundation for something emotionally rich, but likely no will in the Writer's Room to build on it.

For me, this is the big question - once invaded by the DO, how much "choice" does one have? Where is the line of control between the DO and the host body? Or does it just addle the brain of the host to the point where they can't define right or wrong, just needs and desires?

I think the Dark One exacerbates a person's basest instincts.  The Dark One was like liquid courage for Rumple.  The second he was confronted with losing his powers, Rumple was very much Rumple.  I think Rumple knew the things that were right and the things that were wrong.  Maybe the DO gave him the extra push to do the wrong thing.

I'm guessing the whole Lily business where she had that extra darkness in her life where she wanted to do the right thing but inevitably did the wrong thing will come into play eventually because I'm assuming it will tie into Emma and the Dark one.  

One thing I don't want the show to do is whitewash Rumple.  This will be Regina levels of bad if they do that.  I still think one of the most interesting Rumple scenes was in 4x08 with Emma when he was wanting to put her in the hat.  I thought the discussion between them was one of the best scenes and might explain the "psychology" behind Rumple and why people weren't as distrustful of him as they should have been.

Emma has abandonment issues and something of a temper when she let's herself go there.  

Now that he's free of the DO, does he chose to live a peaceful life with Belle? Or does he go after the power again?

I think he's going to go after power again.  I can't see it ending any other way for him.  I'd be shocked if he decided to retire and just be with Belle.  As sad as it sounds, she's just not enough for him and he doesn't really know how to be happy or forgot how to be.  Rumple in the AU didn't choose to have a normal life.  He could have made himself rich, lived in a castle with his wife and new son. Instead he made himself magical (the good kind of magic which he ended up abusing), a Savior and he lived in a hovel with his wife and new son.  Rumple's problem is that he wants his cake and eat it too.  

And I keep going back to this because I think it's worth repeating.  Rumple not being the Dark One doesn't make him completely unmagical.  He practiced magic for centuries, he had pupils.  It's not because his heart is completely white that he doesn't know how to conjure something or write a spell or make a potion.  

• Love 3

He was terrified of not having magic when Belle sent him across the town line. I don't see him any different now. He's going to desperately want that power back. I wonder if he will somehow sabotage Emma and her loved ones efforts to remove the darkness so he can try to get the dagger and kill her?

(edited)

It will be rinse lather repeat when it comes to Rumple. He will be back to his shenanigans once he wakes up from his magical coma, all the while deceiving the "heroes" that he has learned his lesson. But in secret, he will be plotting to kill Emma and become the DO again.

Rumple will be thwarted at the last minute, making a moving speech to Belle, and will be forgiven again. I think Rumple's end game is a HEA with Belle, where he finally has to learn to live w/o his powers. Very few people are dead (unless they are Graham or Neal), or unredeemable (Pan and Cruella) in ONCE. They won't leave a main character like Rumple unredeemed

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Rumple will probably have power, just not as much as the Dark One. Regina might be able to spar with him. I was kind of hoping for memory loss, but the way Robert Carlyle talked, it seems extremely unlikely. I so want Belle to see full-on cowardly peasant Rumple and think, "I married this?" She was always just attracted to his power and ability to travel.

Edited by KingOfHearts

How do we not have a Rumple thread?  I went to move discussion there only to discover there isn't a there to which to move it.

I almost wonder if Robert Carlyle would stay if Rumple reabsorbs the power and re-emerges as the Dark One.  His character description of Rumple is that he is an addict to the power.  I really cannot see Carlyle sticking around to be woobie Rumple.  A failed recovering addict potentially plotting to kill the heroine of the show?  There is more there for him to play with as an actor.  As much as it may be the easy storytelling choice for the writers, I can see it being much more appealing for an actor to play.

I was telling my husband about the belt grab / lapel grab choice that the producers shut down.  He laughed and said yup, creepy adultery crypt sex and sex without consent is all good - don't touch the belt, though!

I was telling my husband about the belt grab / lapel grab choice that the producers shut down.  He laughed and said yup, creepy adultery crypt sex and sex without consent is all good - don't touch the belt, though!

I think that's mostly because they're not there yet with CS (I'm not talking about the sex).  It sort of reminds me of that hug in NY Serenade that they put the kibosh on.  Knowing everything that was going on with Emma afterwards and the general theme of 3B, the hug would have felt weird in hindsight and with all the WTF is up Emma's ass posts about how she was lashing out at Hook, the hug would have been even more WTF knowing what we know now.

I'm assuming the belt falls into that category.

(edited)

Nah, I think Rumple is gonna act like a little shit post-DO and try to get his powers back, thus eliminating any possible justification.

I forget which Comic-Con interview it was, but according to Adam & Eddy, one of the main themes of Season 5 is hubris. They didn't expand much beyond that, but I figured they were mainly talking about Rumple and Emma and how they'll each deal with their own hubris. (And if Regina wasn't their perfect Mary Sue pet, she should also be dealing with hubris when she becomes the new savior. But, as usual, she won't have to deal with any of her bad decisions; it will inevitably be someone else's fault.)

Emma's hubris will come in the form of the Dark One's powers giving her extra confidence, and she'll probably think she's strong enough to control and defeat the darkness within her without too much help from everyone else. Yes, she asked her parents to help her defeat the darkness before she absorbed it, but I could also see her as the Dark One believing more and more that needing her family's help is a sign of weakness, and that she should be able to make her own decisions. Eventually, she'll go full-on dark, but at the last second realize what's she's doing is bad, accept her family's help, and will be able to defeat the Dark One's powers once and for all.

Rumple will probably go on an opposite trajectory, where he starts out strong, thinks life is hunky dory with Belle, but then the thirst for power seeps back in. He'll play it subtly, but by the end of the season, instead of accepting Belle's help, he'll fully accept the Dark One's power again and go back to being the ultimate Big Bad.

How do we not have a Rumple thread?  I went to move discussion there only to discover there isn't a there to which to move it.

You can create a Rumple thread if you want. (And I think a lot of us would appreciate it!) You just have to notify the mods you want to create it and then they'll okay it.

Edited by Curio

I almost wonder if Robert Carlyle would stay if Rumple reabsorbs the power and re-emerges as the Dark One.  His character description of Rumple is that he is an addict to the power.  I really cannot see Carlyle sticking around to be woobie Rumple.  A failed recovering addict potentially plotting to kill the heroine of the show?  There is more there for him to play with as an actor.  As much as it may be the easy storytelling choice for the writers, I can see it being much more appealing for an actor to play.

Robert Carlyle has been saying something else during his latest round of interviews last month to promote his new movie. He said more than once that he is very happy where he is now, is glad to be making lots of money and it has turned out to be a very good thing for his family. He was always clear, at least to the British press, that he got into American TV for the money and for his family's sake, not for the artistic opportunities. The overall message of his interviews is that he happy with his current situation and is not returning the Britain any time soon.

I was telling my husband about the belt grab / lapel grab choice that the producers shut down.  He laughed and said yup, creepy adultery crypt sex and sex without consent is all good - don't touch the belt, though!

I doubt the change to grabbing the lapels had much to do with censorship or sexual innuendo and was more about creating an effective scene.

The lapel grab is classic move to intimidate and demonstrate who has the power in a given interaction. Grabbing someone's belt just doesn't have the same impact, From a technical perspective, a lapel grab is more powerful because it allows the camera to move in close, putting the actor's faces in the center of the shot so we can see whatever strong emotions are in play. The belt grab requires a full-body shot that takes away from the emotional intensity of the scene.

• Love 3

Robert Carlyle has been saying something else during his latest round of interviews last month to promote his new movie. He said more than once that he is very happy where he is now, is glad to be making lots of money and it has turned out to be a very good thing for his family. He was always clear, at least to the British press, that he got into American TV for the money and for his family's sake, not for the artistic opportunities. The overall message of his interviews is that he happy with his current situation and is not returning the Britain any time soon.

I'd like for him to change shows though.  The writers don't seem to know what to do with Rumple and he'd be in my American Gods dream cast. 

• Love 1

Emma's hubris will come in the form of the Dark One's powers giving her extra confidence, and she'll probably think she's strong enough to control and defeat the darkness within her without too much help from everyone else.

From the beginning of the show we've seen Emma's insecurities. I can't wait to see what she'll be like with confidence. She'll probably be less afraid of getting hurt and feel more in control, which I think will reveal a new side of her we haven't seen much of. It will bring out her most selfish desires.

It will bring out her most selfish desires.

Which I'm guessing should be close enough to the reasons she didn't really want Henry to remember anything from Storybrooke when it comes to her son (and my fondest wish which is pick up her boyfriend and peace out of that town or at least just ignore the world outside).

• Love 1

I really cannot see Carlyle sticking around to be woobie Rumple.

I can't either. I seem to recall he has a five year contract and I think Rumple is going to die or leave.

I too think that he will not be able to live with the lack of power. He's had it for 300 years. He's given up his son for it. He came up with a very complicated plan to keep his power in a world without magic. He has betrayed everybody who had grown to trust him for it. He's not going to happily except being power free. Sure, he'll try. He'll try to make due with Belle's love. He'll make due with his magic potions and parlour tricks. He'll try and he will fail. Like many addicts who try to quit without treatment, he will come up with an excuse why he needs to get the Dark One's power back. It' will be reasonably legitimate, but ultimately an excuse.

He will attempt to stab Emma to get that power back and somebody (probably Regina) will stop him. Somehow, the curse will be broken and Emma will be returned to normal. Rumple may die in his attempt to get power, but this is a Disney related channel and this is the Beauty/Beast story, so I suspect that Belle and he will decide that being so close to magic is too tempting for him (like an alcoholic owning a bar) and they will move to New York. to live happily ever after.

I just don't see what a good, reformed  and magicless Rumple would do in the town. Either you are going on adventures to stop the villian or you are the villain. If he goes back to being the villian, the rest of the town deserves him. How many times as he got to show people who he is before anybody believes him?

• Love 4

The two words the cast members pick to describe the first episode of the season:

darkly epic
power and insight
inner turmoil
twisted fate
very good
wow ooooh
hypocrites and recompense

Discuss.

Hypocrites and recompense? ? Dare we hope Dark Emma gets to call out a few people on their hypocrisy? ?? Not going to deny that I'm concerned about who has to recompense who...and in what way!

• Love 3

Hypocrites and recompense? ? Dare we hope Dark Emma gets to call out a few people on their hypocrisy? ?? Not going to deny that I'm concerned about who has to recompense who...and in what way!

That hint seemed the most interesting to me as well. My first guess was Emma telling a few people some Home Truths as well. However, it could also refer to someone the Nevengers interact with in Camelot. 

Emma's descent into Darkness reminds me a lot of Frodo's Quest in the LotR. He took on the Ring of Power in order to help defeat the Darkness of Sauron. But when it came to the last step, he was unable to destroy the Ring, and tried to claim it instead. He was not powerful enough to resist the powerful evil of the Ring. I think that is what happens to Emma. The Darkness takes a slow hold of her until she can no longer bear to lose it. Thats why I think it's quite possible Emma will end up offing Merlin so he doesn't destoy the Darkness.

Thems some dark musings you've got there, Rumsy4. Your parallel of Emma and Frodo..so very intriguing. I am trying so hard to hope Emma doesn't lose all sight of herself...get too cruel. But the harsh things she said to Killian during her "New York is Utopia" phase shows that, despite her immense capacity for kindness and forgiveness, she can go for the low blow, she can be vicious. All that pain from her childhood and ArsewipeFire's betrayal is still there and I guess the Darkness is going to eat that all up with glee. She might not kill Merlin but there may be any number of ways to foil his attempts to remove her 'Preciousssss' new freedom and power. I can see Rumple knocking off Merlin, though....

Hypocrites and recompense? ? Dare we hope Dark Emma gets to call out a few people on their hypocrisy?

I know it'll never happen, but my initial reaction was, "OMG does Emma finally get to call Regina out for her hypocrisy last season for yelling at Emma 'ruining' her budding romance with Robin when Regina didn't even bother to confess she did something much worse to Emma with Graham?" Unfortunately, Ginny was probably talking about Snow and Charming. Snowing may be a bit hypocritical with how they proclaim to be good guys and then get ret-conned into stealing egg babies on the side, but nothing tops Regina's hypocrisy on this show.

• Love 3

I think Jen's "inner turmoil" can apply to everyone who is Emma's loved one and Emma as well.  And I'm assuming this is going to be much of this arc anyway, the characters fighting their inner demons.

Ginny's interpretation is interesting though I haven't got a clue what it means.  But the boys' hints are *sigh*

Ginny was referring to Snow and Charming when she said that.

I'm wondering if Recompense is Regina trying to make amends to the Charmings? Other wise who do the Charmings have to make amends to other than Lily? She's the only person we know they've hurt so far. Unless it's them over compensating for sending their eldest to another world.

(edited)

I require information on Once Upon a Time‘s Camelot crowd! –Meredith

This casting notice would seem to apply: For Season 5’s fourth episode, Once is guest-casting the role of a medieval manservant who is devoted to his employer but harbors a deep resentment… that may lead him to do very bad things.

I'm calling it - the young Apprentice. Maybe we'll see the actual fairy tale.

Original Dark One?

Maybe Merlin had all the darkness contained in the hat, then the Apprentice used its magic and accidentally released it. Then Merlin had to place it inside a human. The Apprentice had to keep guarding the hat for all of eternity, because someone else could put the darkness into the hat and use it for nefarious purposes. The reason the hat didn't work in 4x22 could be either that the darkness had grown too powerful from all the evil Dark One deeds or the Apprentice just couldn't do it correctly.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4

You have to be a villain or something of a villain to have your own place.

Only bad girls need privacy, I guess.  

I really love that house.  It has a great quintessential New England feel to it.