Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Valerie Is Taken Seriously

Boy, it sure seems more and more obvious that Paulie G is a terrible writer. Though we only Valerie's side of of the scene in the dailies, the dialogue is incredibly "tell, don't show". <br /><br />The writing in The Comeback is fantastic, though. Valerie is such a fully-realized character. Such obvious flaws and clearly self-interested, but also incredibly caring and eager to please (from a place of kindness, though).

• Love 2

She's not "kind" to her husband or her hard-working publicist. She's a one-note bulldozer knocking down anything that gets in the way of what she perceives as her "image."

She's shameless in her need to control and everyone around her is a tool that she tries to use to achieve an unachievable end. Meanwhile, she's blind to the opportunities she does have. In the earlier season, she was clueless about the impact of the vomiting scene; here, she's unable to see that this show may have a favorable outcome to her "career" that has nothing to do with lighting.

Her stupidity is prodigious and her acts of charity are calculated. She trips herself up endlessly.

She refuses to listen to anyone and her self-worth is measured by what others that she perceives as worthy tell her.

She's a textbook case of overweening selfishness and delusion.

Edited by SFoster21
  • Love 6

She's shameless in her need to control and everyone around her is a tool that she tries to use to achieve an unachievable end. Meanwhile, she's blind to the opportunities she does have. In the earlier season, she was clueless about the impact of the vomiting scene; here, she's unable to see that this show may have a favorable outcome to her "career" that has nothing to do with lighting.

I wonder if earlier in her career, Valerie would have been more open to this kind of portrayal in a role. I'm thinking that at her age, sensitivity about the issue of physical attractiveness/appearance has come to overshadow her sense (if she ever had any) of her ability to put on a good and affecting performance as a character. Then again, maybe she was always this vain.

• Love 2

I don't know... I'm just not buying this season.  YMMV, but the first season, Paulie hated and was annoyed by Valerie, but was largely indifferent to her.  It seems unlikely to me that she took up so much headspace in his mind that he wrote an entire series about her with repeated scenes where Valerie coldly eviscerates him.

The comedy the first season was that Valerie needs so much attention, validation and coddling, and Paulie wouldn't give it (because he was more obsessed with Juna, drugs, food, etc).  I'm having trouble buying the basic premise this season.  I kind of wish they had just started with an entirely fresh new concept and not tried to shoehorn in previous characters.  Lisa Kudrow and Mickey on their own are enough to carry the show and make it slay.

• Love 2

There seems to be some kind of hiccup between the first season and this season, but I think I am going to enjoy it anyway. The only way I can reconcile Paulie G's behavior in season 1 with this season's/the Seeing Red representation is by believing that Paulie or his subconscious needs to reconstruct the events drastically in order to shift the blame or perhaps HBO suggested that he needed to embellish to make the narrative more compelling. I dunno. But again, Paulie G season 1 would never devote that many brain cells to Valerie.

Was Valerie's interpretation of the gift from Seth Rogen correct? And why such a big box? Very cute gift note!

I wonder if Andie's personality is as annoying to Paulie as Valerie's is.

• Love 2
She's not "kind" to her husband or her hard-working publicist. She's a one-note bulldozer knocking down anything that gets in the way of what she perceives as her "image."

I see her marriage seemingly falling apart, because she's ignoring Mark's needs, but I thought she was fine with her publicist.  The guy threw a huge tantrum, and quit.  She was kind in giving him an out from his behavior, and letting him continue to work for her. 

• Love 2

I do think her marriage to Mark is in trouble, and it probably always has been since she started years ago w/the documentary crew for the the Comeback.  I get Mark's frustrations w/everything Valerie does, renting out their house to film crews for what was at first the Valerie characters home scenes and now they are almost shooting entirely at her house it seems by constructing sets for other locations.

We never saw how the Comeback affected Valerie's career did we, nor were we ever told.  At the premier party in the first season we saw how Paulie G was shown in a positive light and Valerie was this whirlwind mess of an actress making his life hell basically from the editing of the footage.  I'm wondering if Paulie G bought into that and that's how he is now portraying Valerie in his show.  I mean can you imagine how the scene where Valerie calls Paulie G's voicemail when he threw the party at his house and invited everyone but Valerie.  All we saw was the mean voicemail, which she had every right to say to his ass.  For all we know Paulie G did a sit-down interview saying he invited her and she blew him off.  I just think that Paulie G bought into his portrayal in the Comeback, if it continued to show him in a good way, and combined w/his rampant drug use back then he sees himself as the injured party even though we all know how it really was.

I loved that Valerie got some clarification from the NYT woman about her "brave" performance.  She now knows that it isn't about her looks.  

I was on Paulie G's side about not letting Valerie see the dailies based on how critical Valerie is on how she comes off.  It is a smart move and one that I think lots of directors should enforce.

Finally a voice, Tom, says out loud to Val asking her what the hell she is doing w/Paulie G after all he put her through previously.

• Love 3

I should rewatch the first season. We know Room and Bored failed, but did Valerie's reality show ever air? In S1 when she went on the talk show (Leno?), was it because of Room and Bored or because of The Comeback?

I'm liking this season almost as much as the first, but I'll be disappointed if we don't see some character growth -- some self-awareness -- from Valerie.

And I agree with the A.V. Club reviewer who says that the show is getting quite dark. A death wouldn't surprise me. Paulie G.'s suicide most likely. Or Mickey (nooooooo!)

I see Valerie as almost completely closed off from everyone, even as she is constantly talking to people and rushing about. It's as if they are all watching her life begin to come apart, but she is clueless. She is frantically trying to leverage her latest and possibly final career success, but she no longer has control (an aging, vain, moderately talented actress losing her position in Hollywood) and she's getting lost in the pursuit.

Mark has slipped away to a rental home, largely unnoticed. Mickey has cancer, and in one scene his sycophant act drops and he's shown staring at the wretched Paulie G, clearly seeing the dawning disaster. Tom tries to warn Valerie away from Paulie G, and Paulie G is losing it and literally screaming at Valerie to stay away. The reporter intones that the audience will see Valerie in a brave new way, and Jane is insisting on changing the portrayal of Valerie in the documentary.

I agree this all possibly points to something Really Bad, and I think Valerie will be the victim. Maybe Lisa and her team believe this is a one-season gig - kind of a one-note story that cannot sustain viewer interest - and they planned to go out big.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2

I should rewatch the first season. We know Room and Bored failed, but did Valerie's reality show ever air? In S1 when she went on the talk show (Leno?), was it because of Room and Bored or because of The Comeback?

She went on Leno, her second Leno mind you, to promote the Comeback which premiered the night before.  From what we have been told this season, Room and Bored was cancelled after the first season, which ended up canceling the Comeback (even though she was told she was picked up for a second season of the Comeback after the first night's ratings).

• Love 1
I'm liking this season almost as much as the first, but I'll be disappointed if we don't see some character growth -- some self-awareness -- from Valerie.

I wouldn't count on it.

She's a textbook case of overweening selfishness and delusion.

Valerie reminds me of the story about Burt Reynolds.  BR took his agents suggestion and accepted a role in Boogie Night, PTA's movie.  After filming was complete, BR watched the flick and immediately fired his staff, thinking it was the worst thing for his career.  The film, of course, was a critical darling and BR was nominated for an Academy Award.  Burt and Valerie share that particular brand of cluelessness.

• Love 4

I agree this all possibly points to something Really Bad, and I think Valerie will be the victim. Maybe Lisa and her team believe this is a one-season gig - kind of a one-note story that cannot sustain viewer interest - and they planned to go out big.

I suspect the season (series?) will end with Paulie G either killing or having sex with Valerie.

I suspect the season (series?) will end with Paulie G either killing or having sex with Valerie.

I did love that ending. Valerie is awful but she wouldn't be if she were aware of how she is. And I love that she can seriously act and is being given the chance to do so (and it didn't even occur to her until the NY Times writer spelled it right out for her). Maybe being praised for that rawness will pierce through her haze of non-awareness, but then again, this is too cynical a show for that to last in any positive manner. 

Dear god that director. How horrible! And hilarious. That was a weirdly emotional episode to watch.

I don't watch the show live, I usually watch it the next day or so.  This is the only show I watch where I have to get myself prepared to watch it b/c I cringe so much at stuff that Valerie says and does...am I alone in this?

I can't see the show going w/Paulie G and Valerie sleeping together, at least not in real life.  I could see Paulie G overdosing, but I really think that Mickey will end up dying (I mean we get comments from Mickey about his condition each episode it seems, not that Valerie is listening) and it will shock Valerie and she will re-think her life and how she reacts to others and lets others treat her, kind of like the old friend from the Palm Springs episode got Valerie to loosen up.

I loved Paulie erupting: "You're the monster."

Does Valerie understand this?  That Paulie G. really truly hates her? 

Here's a scenario: Valerie finally gets it.  She goes to find Paulie G. -- to either apologize for wrecking his life or to rip him a new one.  She finds him laying on the floor, needle in his arm.  He starts to vomit and choke.  She thinks about rousing him, moving him.  Does she or doesn't she? 

Here's a scenario: Valerie finally gets it.  She goes to find Paulie G. -- to either apologize for wrecking his life or to rip him a new one.  She finds him laying on the floor, needle in his arm.  He starts to vomit and choke.  She thinks about rousing him, moving him.  Does she or doesn't she?

interesting scenario... I think she would try to help, because she always ends up wanting to be likable.
  • Love 1

She doesn't, but then she builds a meth empire, kills a bunch of people, but dies alone with her lab equipment because of her own hubris.  Sounds like it could be a good show...

• Love 5

Lol re Val as Walter White. So many things she wouldn't need to see! Would love to see her interactions with Saul.

I suspect that Paulie was, and probably is, a terrible person, and he may be identifying Val as the source or symbol (or scapegoat) of a terrible period of his life. Hence a whole show about her. Tom's reaction and current status (both his own career and his feelings on Paulie) was interesting.

I love how this show spoofs Hollywood at large. I wonder who the hyper dancer turned director was based on? She drove me nuts.

• Love 3

She thinks about it, but then goes back to give Jane another take of her entering the room and finding him from a better angle and by the time she tries to rouse him it's too late.
  • Love 5

I have trouble believing Paulie was ever a heroin addict.  I think he's exaggerating his addiction for cool points and exploiting it to try and recapture his career.  His entire narrative with Valerie is a lie so why not his addiction.  His real addiction is pizza and cupcakes.  I don't know where this season is going but I hope it stays relatively light.  The final scenes in Season 1 where Valerie flips the script on Jane were some amazing acting, but that's about as deep as I want to go - a large shootout or something would be a bit much for what is essentially a comedy (in my opinion).

She thinks about it, but then goes back to give Jane another take of her entering the room and finding him from a better angle and by the time she tries to rouse him it's too late.

This is great. My feeling is she would dither and not dial 911 because she feared bad publicity would hurt her "career.". Yours is better.

Boy, it sure seems more and more obvious that Paulie G is a terrible writer. Though we only Valerie's side of of the scene in the dailies, the dialogue is incredibly "tell, don't show".

Loving all the comments, but can't sign on to this one. It felt to me like Mallory would say those things from Paulie G's conception of the demon she is, and Valerie knocked it out of the park with a dark side that was scarily palpable. I don't think the scene could have had the shivery horror it had if the words weren't there to support it. (Good acting is never enough to make a scene work in the absence of good writing.) So even though I agree with you that Paulie G most of the time is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is, something about that scene permitted his inner writer to emerge.

The New York Times reporter seemed to share my reaction. (And she came off in general as no fool, a shrewdly objective observer, as objective and lacking in agenda as any character this show has managed to produce.)

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2

I have trouble believing Paulie was ever a heroin addict.  I think he's exaggerating his addiction for cool points and exploiting it to try and recapture his career.

Well so far we have Jane confirming that she caught him shooting up while filming the Comeback to Valerie who had no clue he was on drugs.  I'm guessing that Tom losing it in front of Valerie also confirms Paulie G's story as well as we found out Paulie G was in rehab, not that it says much as anyone can really go to rehab for any reason these days.