Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

Thanks for all the great breakdowns from everyone. I suppose there must be some science behind the 18 to 49 males with deep pockets. Guess I was raised differently where the women in the family control the money. My Dad still gets a weekly allowance from my Mom. I think tonight I will actually watch the commercials and see what these guys are selling and who they think is buying. I bet it won't be diapers or cholesterol medication.

For years, on Canadian TV, no one was allowed to be seen actually drinking alcohol. Horrors!

There is actually no science behind the 18 - 49 year old males. According to ad man Terry O'Reilly (The Age of Persuasion), when ABC was starting out, it's overall viewers were lot but a lot of young people were watching, so they came up with the idea that younger people were more desirable to advertisers because they would be more likely to switch brands based on ads.  This isn't true, they are no more likely to switch brands than older people.  And an added problem in today's economy is that  younger people are less likely to have disposable income than the near-retirement baby boomers who own their own homes and don't have to pay for their kids' education any  more. 

No one ever said that TV or advertising people had to make sense.

• Love 2

Not bad. Demo aside, the total viewers is not at all far off last year's MSF. I'm actually pleasantly surprised it's not significantly lower after the disgusted uproar we saw after last week's episode.

They played their cards right with the cliff hanger to make sure even those of us very pissed about 4-8 showed up for 4-9 (speaking from personal experience)  I would have assumed the numbers would be strong until 4-11 (since even if I was hating the show I'd want to see the resolution of 4-9) but since 4-9 was so strong of an episode, I wonder if there will be any dip in the numbers at all. 

LoT could still be the ultimate victim of 4-8. 

• Love 3

Delayed viewing: Arrow, Fargo, Leftovers Hit Season-Highs in 3-Day Ratings

The CW was able to make sure viewers stuck with their superhero series “The Flash” and “Arrow” by orchestating a crossover storyline that helps set the table for new spinoff series “Legends of Tomorrow,” bowing in January on the network. “Flash” grew in the demo (to 2.08) and hit a season high in total viewers (5.47 million), but it was the conclusion on “Arrow” that really popped (1.89 in 18-49, 4.88 million viewers overall) — obliterating its previous fall bests (1.62, 3.76 million).

• Love 1

Wait, so I'm confused, are they talking about the crossover episode or the MSF? If the former, then I retract my earlier statement (i.e. the lying b.s. most definitely was not great). But good for Arrow either way.

ETA: I see it was for last week.

Edited by NumberCruncher

Folks liked what they saw on The Flash enough to follow the story over on Arrow. Curious to see what the +3 of 409 is going to be.

Wait, so I'm confused, are they talking about the crossover episode or the MSF? If the former, then I retract my earlier statement (i.e. the lying b.s. most definitely was not great). But good for Arrow either way.

Those numbers are for the crossover.

They're talking about the Flarrow episodes

So, since it's been a week since "Dark Waters" aired, I thought it would be fun to take a look and see how our friends over on IMDB.com have rated the fourth season episodes so far. The first number is the rating; the second number (in parentheses) the number of votes:

"Green Arrow," 8.7 (2780)

"The Candidate," 8.4 (1596)

"Restoration," 8.5 (1472)

"Beyond Redemption," 8.7 (1447)

"Haunted," 9.1 (2266)  (The John Constantine episode)

"Lost Souls," 8.3 (1368)

"Brotherhood," 8.5 (1152)

"Legends of Yesterday," 9.3 (1940)  (the Arrow/Flash crossover episode)

"Dark Waters," 9.3 (1319)

In order from most to least liked: 

Dark Waters/Legends of Yesterday (tied)

Haunted

Green Arrow/Beyond Redemption (tied)

Restoration/Brotherhood (tied)

The Candidate

Lost Souls

What I get from this:

1. These numbers are fairly close to the numbers IMDB users gave for season three episodes, where their ratings ranged from 8.3 (Midnight City) to 9.2 (The Climb.)  However, at least so far, most of the individual episodes are getting fewer votes. We'll see if that changes by the end of the season.

2. It seems that IMDB voters, at least, have loved having DC characters cross over into Arrow this season; two of the three highest rated episodes were crossover episodes. 

3. IMDB is generally considered, at least on this forum, as a pro-Laurel, anti-Felicity site, and likewise a pro Oliver/Laurel and anti Oliver/Felicity site. That's reflected in a couple of votes here, I think - "Lost Souls," very much a Felicity and an Oliver/Felicity episode, earned the lowest rating so far, and "Haunted," which featured Laurel along with Constantine and gave us the first Oliver/Laurel interactions in several episodes, was the second highest rated episode so far.

4. On the other hand, tied for highest rated episode of the season so far - "Dark Waters," the Oliver/Felicity engagement. Of course this was also the episode that ended with Felicity mostly dead. "Green Arrow," another positive Oliver/Felicity episode, landed in the middle, and "The Candidate," and "Restoration," two of the three episodes in Laurel's "let's dig Sara up from the dead and bring her back!" arc landed somewhere in the bottom.

• Love 3

I tend to think of IMBD users as anti-romantic angst rather than anti Olicity with Olicity the scape goat for the real complaint.  I liked Lost Souls because by the end of the episode the angst felt earned to me so I enjoyed it whereas so often in season three not only did we have manufactured angst but so often it remained unresolved. 

• Love 5

Still better than nothing - and look at the source of those reviews (ScreenRant, PopMatters, TV.com, IGN, TV Fanatic, Forbes, The Young Folks, TV Equals, Paste Mag, AV Club, We Got This Covered)...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/arrow/s04/reviews/

Seasons 2 and 3 of Arrow were rated at 100%, too. I like Rotten Tomatoes as a movie review site, but it doesn't work as well for tv shows because their ratings are based on the reviews for the season premiere and not the season as a whole.

• Love 1

The ListenFirst Television Interest (TVI) Rating is a standardized measurement of the most buzzed-about TV programs on linear TV and streaming services. A complement to ListenFirst’s other syndicated data products (such as the ListenFirst Digital Audience Rating – TV), the metrics included in the rating are the purest form of showing interest digitally, since they’re organic actions that are largely unaffected by paid media. Programs that surface on the TVI leaderboards are the most hashtagged on Facebook, Google+, and Tumblr, as well as most searched for on Wikipedia (used as a proxy for organic search volume).

All-Series.jpg

• Love 2

The CW fall status report: Down a little but the way back is clear

The CW’s 18-49 ratings have fallen a tenth of a point compared to last fall (0.8 vs. 0.9)*, and it’s easy to pinpoint where the decline has come.

(*Network averages are “most current” — a combination of Live +7 and same-day — through Dec. 13. Individual show ratings cited below are all same-day, through Dec. 20.)

Last fall “The Originals” averaged a 0.63 rating in adults 18-49 on Monday nights. This fall, “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” draws a 0.29 in the same spot — a drop of more than 50 percent year to year. Ratings for “The Vampire Diaries” have also fallen off by about 30 percent (0.8 last fall, 0.55 this fall) — so there, in a nutshell, is your decline.

Ratings for “The Originals” have also fallen more than 30 percent, but they’re about equal to “Reign’s” performance in the post-“Vampire Diaries” spot last year. “iZombie” is running well below what “Supernatural” did on Tuesday last year, but “Supernatural” has improved Wednesdays by just about the same amount compared to “The 100” last fall.

“The Flash” (1.41 vs. 1.53 last year) is down a little, but “Arrow” (1.04 vs. 1.01 last year) is up slightly. The CW as a whole is basically Even Stephen (Amell).

Looking ahead to the rest of the season, “Legends of Tomorrow” will likely provide a ratings upgrade at 8 o’clock Thursdays, at least in the early going. If “TVD” and “The Originals” can maintain their current numbers after moving to Fridays, that will be an improvement as well.

Which brings us back to “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.” As fresh and as creatively daring as it’s been, it’s doing so in front of a very small audience, even by CW standards. Its same-day ratings aren’t good, and the delayed ones aren’t much better — through 12 weeks, it grows only a tenth of a point (0.3 to 0.4) in Live +7 ratings.

The CW has had a pretty good run in development of late, and it’s serving the superhero and supernatural niches pretty well. That will surely continue in the coming pilot season, and with a couple of smart pickups it wouldn’t be hard to envision the network gaining back the little bit of ground it’s lost so far this season.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/01/01/the-cw-fall-status-report-down-a-little-but-the-way-back-is-clear/

The CW just needs to be careful that it doesn't fall into a niche network of Superhero/scifi/supernatural shows. While the DC Comics shows and even Supernatural are working for them now, the last thing any network needs is to put all/most of its eggs in one basket.

• Love 3

Crazy Ex Girlfriend is one of those shows that comes off poorly in advertising.  You have to watch it to see it's hilarious charm.  I'm soo the target audience and I almost passed on even giving it a chance based on the promos.  "Stalker Ex" is hard to get passed except it's a lot more nuanced than that: (They had a fling as teenagers at Theater Camp - and he's more an ideal of when she was happy than anything) It's probably my favorite of the new shows of the season.   Maybe it would do better on a streaming platform that operates more on buzz and word of mouth.   

Oh well.  At least they renewed it for the full season. 

The CW just needs to be careful that it doesn't fall into a niche network of Superhero/scifi/supernatural shows. While the DC Comics shows and even Supernatural are working for them now, the last thing any network needs is to put all/most of its eggs in one basket.

First it's the female network, then it seemed it was going to the boys.  Now it's leaning to another niche.  They are so small that every time they get a success and try to repeat it, they end up filling up their whole roster with more of the same. 

The network is getting a rep for compelling stories though, so that's good. 

• Love 3

Well, regardless of how lackluster that episode was (not bad, just on the boring side), you have to admire the consistency of Arrow's viewership. It hardly ever seems to deviate from that magic 0.9-1.1 range. TPTB have to be pretty satisfied that a show in its 4th season seems to be retaining its audience year-over-year.

• Love 2

Which only makes all the fuss made about the fluctuations week-to-week within that 0.2 range even sillier. I'm waiting for the "See? There was less Felicity = better ratings!" vs "Everyone was tuning in to see what happened to Felicity" debate to start.

• Love 9

Which only makes all the fuss made about the fluctuations week-to-week within that 0.2 range even sillier. I'm waiting for the "See? There was less Felicity = better ratings!" vs "Everyone was tuning in to see what happened to Felicity" debate to start.

That's funny, I was just thinking that, regardless of what her contract says, they should give EBR a raise. Or at least a sizeable bonus. I don't see how that bump could be attributed to anything other than people being interested in what happens to her.

Arrow’ Ratings Return Up, ‘Chicago P.D.’ Down, ‘American Idol’ & ‘American Crime’ Steady
by Dominic Patten  January 21, 2016 9:18am
http://deadline.com/2016/01/arrow-ratings-up-chicago-pd-american-idol-american-crime-fox-cbs-1201687432/

The boys are really back in town now, with the CW’s The Flash returning from its winter break Tuesday and Arrow (1.1/3) stepping into 2016 last night. Star City’s emerald archer had some scores to settle in Wednesday’s “Blood Debts” episode, and some ratings traction to gain. Although even with its Season 3 winter return of January 21, 2015, Arrow was actually up 10% in adults 18-49 from its winter finale December 9. Lead-out Supernatural (0.7/2) was even with its last original late last year but down 22% from its Season 10 winter return of January 20, 2015, which faced a State of the Union speech.

"Arrow" Stays Sharp in Return, Up in Key Demos
[01/21/16 - 08:35 AM]
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/2016/01/21/arrow-stays-sharp-in-return-up-in-key-demos-301511/20160121cw01/

ARROW returned from its winter hiatus steady in total viewers (2.8M) from its last original on 12/9, and up in nearly all key demos, +11% in A18-34 (1.0/4), +10% in A18-49 (1.1/4), +20% in M18-34 (1.2/5), and +8% in M18-49 (1.3/4).

ARROW was #1 in its time period (8-9pm) in M18-34 and #3 in A18-34.

Versus this same night a year ago, The CW was up +2% in total viewers (2.31M), +14% in A18-34 (0.8/3), and +12% in A18-49 (0.9/3).

This season, ARROW is averaging a +49% gain in total viewers when Live + 7 Day delayed viewing is tallied versus the Live + Same Day numbers alone, +59% in A18-34, +64% in M18-34, +59% in A18-49, and +63% in M18-49....

Edited by tv echo

That's funny, I was just thinking that, regardless of what her contract says, they should give EBR a raise. Or at least a sizeable bonus. I don't see how that bump could be attributed to anything other than people being interested in what happens to her.

I would honestly love to know what EBR's contract even covers just in general, not even for the question of how long she's contracted for. I would sadly doubt that they would significantly raise her pay or give her a bonus, since that's one of the perks of her employment in general (least-paid main character who has the second-most screen time, they get to get away with paying her less money for more work). On the flip side, I would bet that she gets mega benefits on production besides the monetary kind. like extra publicity, but I have no idea.

I mean, the network definitely notices who their money-maker on the show is, and I wonder how they compensate for it.

Arrow’ Ratings Return Up, ‘Chicago P.D.’ Down, ‘American Idol’ & ‘American Crime’ Steady

by Dominic Patten  January 21, 2016 9:18am

http://deadline.com/2016/01/arrow-ratings-up-chicago-pd-american-idol-american-crime-fox-cbs-1201687432/

"Arrow" Stays Sharp in Return, Up in Key Demos

[01/21/16 - 08:35 AM]

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/2016/01/21/arrow-stays-sharp-in-return-up-in-key-demos-301511/20160121cw01/

Nice, and would that make it the highest rated episode of the season so far, barring the crossover?