Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I had no idea Rock of Ages was a Jewish holiday hymn.

I'm not Jewish but I know all the words to that hymn/song. I did not, however, know Kinky Boots was on Broadway!

I only noticed Choyon's shallow knee bends (as opposed to deep knee bends) yesterday. I guess I don't watch contestants that closely. I found them interesting, not annoying. It told me he knew the answer even when he didn't win the buzzer race. And it was much less offensive than the raised-in-the-air buzzer jerk hand that so many use. 

Keep clapping for yourself, Choyon. I'm a fan.

I had no idea Rock of Ages was a Jewish holiday hymn.

Ditto, but I know the Christian hymn. I came to RoA since it was the only show title I could think of that had a "religious" sound to it 

• Love 2

but this thing with dressing his cats gives me nightmares.  Please, just go away.  Poor cats.

When I was a kid, I used to dress up our Siamese cats and put them in a baby buggy or just carry them around. The cats wouldn't move an inch when they had clothes on, it was like they became prisoners. Take the clothes off and the cats returned to normal. No harm, no foul. My dogs wear sweaters in the winter, even in the house, so I can't say anything about Choyon's hobby.

He reminds me of the Steve Carrell character--though smarter--in Dinner for Schmucks who dressed dead mice in cute little costumes.

Check this out:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/10/taxidermied-mice-chess-set_n_4419838.html

A radio show I listen to talks about this mouse chess set often.

(edited)

Me, too. All I could think of was The Book of Mormon. I had no idea Rock of Ages was a Jewish holiday hymn. 

Great minds & all that.....;-)

I got fixated on The Book of Mormon & I knew that couldn't possibly be right!  Forgot all about Rock of Ages (which I actually have on my Pandora but haven't listened to lately.)  I didn't know the year it came out & don't really pay attention to the Tonys.

The cats wouldn't move an inch when they had clothes on, it was like they became prisoners.

That's what always happened when I tried to get any of mine to walk on a leash.  Just flop down, totally immobile, till the offending thing was removed.

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 2
(edited)

I thought the judges would have busted the woman yesterday for the pronunciation of her answer, "What is turpenTIME." It could be a Midwestern thing, like saying "fer" instead of "for." I didn't realize that stuff we used to clean our paint brushes was turpenTINE until I was in college (art school!), it was always turpentime.

Edited by saber5055

Damn. I missed it.  I'm on a Road Trip and couldn't find J! on the hotel's TV and, of course, there's no program guide in the room... sheesh. 

I once had a cat that was so laid back, you could've dressed him up, but I always felt that would be an assault on his dignity.  Other cats I've been allowed to live with (their consent, of course) wouldn't allow clothes. Bosco & Stella, the current companions, DO let me put a harness & leash on them.  Stella becomes immobile, but Bosco has dragged me halfway across the rest area when we were travelling to my brother's house for Thanksgiving.  He NEEDED to smell that bush over there, y'know.

I'm in Chalk Hill, PA...anybody know which channel I should tune to & when?  Tomorrow, Bentleyville, PA & the next 3 nights in Pittsburgh.  Any help finding Jeopardy! on cable channels will be greatly appreciated.

• Love 1
(edited)
I'm in Chalk Hill, PA...anybody know which channel I should tune to & when?  Tomorrow, Bentleyville, PA & the next 3 nights in Pittsburgh.  Any help finding Jeopardy! on cable channels will be greatly appreciated.

Via the show's website: Jeopardy schedule in Pennsylvania by market.

Edited by Bastet

Taa-LEESE'n?  And Alex didn't correct it to Tally-ESS'n?

Y'know, FLW's Taliesin & Falling Water seem to be go-to clues, too.  (And I just saw Falling Water today.  It's well worth the trip!)

I'm glad weird guy is gone.

• Love 1
So psyched to get FJ right! I didn't know that Pooh was that old but that was my guess anyway.

I remembered that Dorothy Parker reviewed The House at Pooh Corner for her Constant Reader column: "Tonstant Weader fwowed up."

• Love 2

I guessed Cyprus Tree like Choyon. It made sense to me until the real answer was revealed.

But who cares about any of that because I just want Dan to win all the things so I can always look at him. He is so pretty. [/shallow]

• Love 2

They are given "Jack" and  "1920's" in a boxing category but Jack Dempsey is a TS.

New champ seems pretty sharp and very nice to look at.

Now I am leery of using commas lest they clutter up a page.

• Love 6

They are given "Jack" and  "1920's" in a boxing category but Jack Dempsey is a TS.

I thought of Jack Johnson first and forgot Dempsey, since the clue mentioned him being retired. I was surprised Jack Palance was a TS, even though he's been dead a while. I thought his one-armed pushups at the Oscars were the stuff of legend. Guess the guys were too young to remember that. 

Yay! The Genuflecting Goof is gone! I was so hoping Alex would ask why all the deep knee bends since he'd been exercising his damn buzzer thumb.

I liked Dan instantly with his sandwich story. I'm glad he won - smart, not annoying and easy on these shallow eyes. I hope he's around for awhile.

I was surprised Prince of Tides was a TS.

FJ was an instaget for me.

• Love 3

FJ was an instaget for me.

Same here. I was surprised only Dan got it.

The Twitterverse dubbed Choyon's dips "pliés" which is hilarious but now I can't appreciate ballet for a while.

Michael Chabon is one of my favorite writers so that TS was a bummer.

• Love 1

I was rooting for the middle guy since he's from my current city, Tucson. However, I was fine with Dan winning. Did he overbet, though? I deleted it and can't check it now, but I remember thinking he bet way more than he needed to. I'm glad it worked out for him. The genuflect king is gone.

• Love 1

I was rooting for the middle guy since he's from my current city, Tucson. However, I was fine with Dan winning. Did he overbet, though? I deleted it and can't check it now, but I remember thinking he bet way more than he needed to. I'm glad it worked out for him. The genuflect king is gone.

I believe he bet all but one dollar, but I wouldn't bet on it. And I can't remember what the others had.

I actually liked all three interviews today. Especially the sandwich punchline. I used to hate the interview segments (tedious!) until a friend and I decided to start judging them.

• Love 2

I didn't come back from the final commercial early enough, so I missed the FJ clue -- I flipped back just in time to hear the contestants' answers being read, with no idea what they were attempting to answer.  So by the time I checked the archive for the clue, I already knew the correct answer -- I think I'd have come up with it, though.

I have zero interest in boxing, but I knew Jack Dempsey (and Jack Palance).  The Prince of Tides and Tom Wolfe TS surprised me as well.

Again with someone pronouncing Iran "Eye Ran" -- drives me nuts.

I loved the vowel-less states category.  Not so much the architecture one; that is something I know little about.  I know basics like rotunda and façade, but am highly unlikely to identify who designed what.

• Love 2
(edited)
I liked Dan instantly with his sandwich story. I'm glad he won - smart, not annoying and easy on these shallow eyes. I hope he's around for awhile.

He reminded me of Paul Rudd.  The great "Carson" controversy rages on when someone answered merely Carson for Rachel Carson.  And it was accepted!  Alex, you need to be consistent of your inconsistencies. 

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 1
I was clueless on FJ and slapped my forehead at the reveal. I wouldn't have answered Kinky Boots either. Wasn't cute or funny.

I couldn't come up with the right answer. Not many hymns came to mind. Obviously Onward Christian Soldier wasn't it. I was actually trying to come up with a funny musical title, so I really appreciated Choyon saying Kinky Boots.

I had no idea that "muppet" was a portmanteau until tonight. I'm not sure if I should be ashamed.

I still wonder if that's correct. Why would marionette and puppet be combined? There are no strings on the Muppets. I thought it was a combination of moppet and puppet.

For FJ in tonight's show, the olive tree came to me immediately. Funnily enough, I did flash on cypress, but I didn't see why there would be a law or whatever against cutting those down.

I was fine with Dan winning. Did he overbet, though?

Seems like he did. I'm not sure, but I think he bet all but a dollar.

• Love 2

While Muppets don't have strings, they do have rods, i.e., controlling their arms. I'm thinking that's what qualifies them as marionettes.  Perhaps when the young Jim Henson named them, he wasn't aware that rods do not make marionettes, only strings or wires do.  After all, it IS a cute name.  Who would wanna see a Ruppet?

• Love 2
(edited)

I was surprised Prince of Tides was a TS.

I guessed The Mirror Has Two Faces.  Totally forgot about Prince of Tides.

FJ seemed really easy.  Olives and olive oil are the basic staples of Greek cuisine.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

Dan did bet everything but a dollar.  I think he had $13,000 + something.  He must have been pretty confident because I think he only needed to bet around a thousand to beat the middle guy.  The middle guy needed to bet all his money (he had something like 7,000) and hope that Dan's answer was wrong. I think he also bet everything but a dollar. 

The categories were just not kind to Choyon, or he was a little tired.  But I really like Dan so far and hope he stays around for a while. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Finally watched last night's game.  I'm surprised that no one figured out the pattern in the 'Familiar Numbers' category based on the $400 and $600 clues, as the answer was the dollar value of the clue.  Choyon got the $800 DD clue wrong and Lenny got the $1000 clue wrong.

The categories were just not kind to Choyon, or he was a little tired.

Choyon really flamed out.

Dan did bet everything but a dollar.  I think he had $13,000 + something.  He must have been pretty confident because I think he only needed to bet around a thousand to beat the middle guy.  The middle guy needed to bet all his money (he had something like 7,000) and hope that Dan's answer was wrong. I think he also bet everything but a dollar.

Dan had $13,800 going into FJ while Lenny had $7,600 -- so Dan could have bet $1401 and still won if Lenny got FJ correct and bet it all (which he didn't do, he only wagered $7000).

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3
(edited)

Sorry to see Choyon go, I tend to like the oddballs. I think the shows being filmed one after the other can really wear a person out.

I was stunned FJ was a DS (double stumper) but see here that it was harder than I thought. I immediately knew it was olive tree since the olive branch has been used as a peace offering since ancient days, and many images show a dove with an olive branch in its mouth to illustrate peace.

Edited by saber5055

I'm surprised that no one figured out the pattern in the 'Familiar Numbers' category based on the $400 and $600 clues, as the answer was the dollar value of the clue.  Choyon got the $800 DD clue wrong and Lenny got the $1000 clue wrong.

I knew 200 (Monopoly dollars), 400 (Blows, in the film title), and 600 (Charge of the Light Brigade), but I didn't even think about the pattern in the answers until 800 - which neither Choyon nor I knew.  Then I thought, "Oh, duh."  I was surprised Alex didn't say something after the $1000 clue.

• Love 2

I couldn't come up with the right answer. Not many hymns came to mind. Obviously Onward Christian Soldier wasn't it. I was actually trying to come up with a funny musical title, so I really appreciated Choyon saying Kinky Boots.

I still wonder if that's correct. Why would marionette and puppet be combined? There are no strings on the Muppets. I thought it was a combination of moppet and puppet.

Kinky Boots made me laugh, so I appreciated that too!

Apparently, muppet is just a word Jim Henson made up, but for a long time he was telling people it was a portmanteau.

Ha I was thinking that Dan should get FJ if he's from NJ. I wonder, if you aren't from here, if you would have any idea what the answer was. I mean, California and Nevada are adjacent, but I don't know THEIR governors.

• Love 4
Ha I was thinking that Dan should get FJ if he's from NJ. I wonder, if you aren't from here, if you would have any idea what the answer was. I mean, California and Nevada are adjacent, but I don't know THEIR governors.

They should have had to specify which Cuomo, because there have been more than 1 governor of New York named Cuomo.

• Love 4

To be a pediatrician, Jane really did horribly in the Anatomy category, even ending up in the red.

I started seriously questioning her value as a pediatrician when she tacked on the bit about seeing increasing numbers of developmental issues at the end of her response to Alex's question.

But to be fair, that airways question was weird. I could only think of bronchi (sort of) rhyming with alveoli, but bronchi don't lead directly to alveoli. She definitely should have known the pituitary, though.

I had absolutely no idea for FJ. I am not American and literally the only governor I could think of was Cuomo, but I had no idea that he was one of the ones they were looking for and I would never have been able to come up with Christie.

• Love 3

The only possible excuse Jane could have for doing so poorly in the Anatomy category was that she has too much knowledge and couldn't get to terms that would be more in a non-physician's wheelhouse.  That has been my excuse (and I'm sticking with it!) for some of the science categories (I'm a biologist). 

I had no idea for FJ, either.  But I sometimes have trouble coming up with the name of the governor of my own state -- other states?  Not likely.

I did appreciate the Monty Python reference, but Alex (as usual) needs to work on his pronunciation and say "Ni!" with the proper emphasis.  :)

• Love 5

I'm glad Dan won again. It cracked me up for some reason when he said his legs were shaking.

I was shocked at how terrible Jane did in the Anatomy category. Glad she's not my kid's doctor.

Pretty decent game overall but it seemed a bit on the easy side.

I figured out FJ and I'm in Colorado. I guess it's because those two governors are on the national news often.

• Love 5

I laughed at the story of the contestant’s mom correcting the pronunciation of his last name.  I remember when I graduated from law school, the card we filled with our name for the master of ceremonies to read had a place for phonetic spelling.  The professor who’d be doing the announcing knew me, so I knew it wouldn’t be an issue, but I filled it in and wrote underneath it, “If you say [common mispronunciation], my mom may rush the stage.”

I ran the anatomy category, yet a medical doctor got some of them wrong?

A little surprised no one had heard “You can be sure if it’s Westinghouse.”  Or maybe they just didn’t make the connection with the clue.

No A or B governors sprang to mind, so when Cuomo popped into my head, I got Christie quickly.

• Love 1

I think Jane just seemed really, really nervous.  At least I hope that's all it was.  Not only missing pituitary but mispronouncing the pineal gland (it's PIN-e-uhl, not pie-NEE-uhl.)

And everybody in my neck of the woods knows Westinghouse = Air Brakes!  There's even an Airbrake Avenue in a nearby town.

• Love 1

A little surprised no one had heard “You can be sure if it’s Westinghouse.”  Or maybe they just didn’t make the connection with the clue.

Maybe it was before their time. :)  It came to me immediately. It's funny how sometimes those little hint-hint phrases in the clues jump out at you and other times they don't. At least, that's my experience.

• Love 4

Regarding muppets, this is a reference from Wikipedia (yes, I'm being lazy):

Jones, Brian Jay (2013). "Sam and Friends". Jim Henson: The Biography. New York: Ballantine Books. pp. 41–42. ISBN 978-0-345-52611-3. "It was really just a term we made up. For a long time I would tell people it was a combination of marionettes and puppets but, basically, it was really just a word that we coined. We have done very few things connected with marionettes."

• Love 5

I was completely baffled by last night's FJ.  I did think of Christie at one point, but didn't come up with Cuomo at all.  Of course, I wouldn't have bet anything on that category because politics is one of my weak areas.

Maybe it was before their time. :)  It came to me immediately. It's funny how sometimes those little hint-hint phrases in the clues jump out at you and other times they don't. At least, that's my experience.

Not sure when it was used as a slogan, but I'm going to say if was before my time anyway.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I knew 200 (Monopoly dollars), 400 (Blows, in the film title), and 600 (Charge of the Light Brigade), but I didn't even think about the pattern in the answers until 800 - which neither Choyon nor I knew.  Then I thought, "Oh, duh."  I was surprised Alex didn't say something after the $1000 clue.

Well, I feel like a doofus because I didn't notice it AT ALL during the show, and still would be in the dark if you guys here hadn't pointed it out.  I got all but the Magna Carta one right (couldn't do the math fast enough on that one) but not because I noticed any pattern.

• Love 3
(edited)

They should have had to specify which Cuomo, because there have been more than 1 governor of New York named Cuomo.

One of whom must be Carson Cuomo.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

I normally think they should ask for first names, but it didn't bother me in this case.  I don't remember how the clue was worded, but I thought they were asking for the current governors of the two states.

• Love 4
I normally think they should ask for first names, but it didn't bother me in this case.  I don't remember how the clue was worded, but I thought they were asking for the current governors of the two states.

Similarly, I was surprised In that 'Murdered to Death' category with the painting of Julius Caesar that Dan was allowed to get away with "Who is Caesar ?"  Alex should have asked him to be more specific.

• Love 5

"Similarly, I was surprised In that 'Murdered to Death' category with the painting of Julius Caesar that Dan was allowed to get away with "Who is Caesar ?" Alex should have asked him to be more specific."

The same was true with the Jeffrey Dahmer answer when "Dahmer" was accepted. For all we know, it may have been Carson Dahmer, Jeffrey's frontiersman ancestor.

• Love 4