Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E13: Week 11: The Final Elimination

• Start Topic

On MONDAY, NOVEMBER 24 (8:00-10:00 p.m., ET), the four remaining couples will compete in two exciting rounds of dance. In the first round, each couple will take on the "Judges Pick" and perform a dance they previously performed this season that the judges have selected. In the second round, the couples take on the biggest competitive dance of the season, a Freestyle routine featuring special effects, additional dancers and unexpected surprises. The night continues by celebrating the new, contemporary spin on the classic show "Annie," coming to movie theaters December 19th. "Annie" stars Oscar®-winner Jamie Foxx, Cameron Diaz, Rose Byrne, and the youngest performer to ever be nominated for a Best Actress Academy Award®, Quvenzhané Wallis, as Annie. Talented young dancers will join Wallis to perform a dance to "It's The Hard-Knock Life," choreographed by Mandy Moore. Then, at the end of night, one couple will be eliminated based on the previous weeks' viewer votes combined with the judges' scores from the previous Monday night.

I just saw these and I'm kind of disappointed at the choices. I've noticed in more recent seasons the show started moving away from the idea of the judges picking a dance the pairing wasn't too great at the first time so they could get a chance to redeem themselves. I preferred that because to me it was more indicative of the celebrity's growth. I guess I sort of understand the Jive for Bethany because it was her first week dance so it's a good test to see how much she's grown since then but she was still pretty decent at the style, I thought for week 1 so I don't think this is a huge challenge.

And hello, Alfonso killed his Jive. Barring his injury issue, are we expecting anything less? This is like when Kellie Pickler was given Quickstep for her Judges' Pick dance even though she'd gotten a 29 the first time. And Sadie's Samba was one of her highest scoring dances. Personally if it were up to me, I would have given Bethany a rumba, which was without question her worse dance; Alfonso the Quickstep because the first time his frame and footwork was not so great in it and Sadie, the Paso Doble, this time without the zombie apocalypse so there can be no debating her actual technique with the style's content. For Janel, I would go with Jive since she actually was not so great in that and it was her first week dance 

• Love 6

It sounds like they are straight up just reworking the dances, not doing new dances in the old style like they did last year? Derek mentioned in his blog that they "added 30 seconds and refined and reworked some sections" which makes it sound like they're just going to polish up the Taylor Swift dance? Have they done it that way before?

It sounds like they are straight up just reworking the dances, not doing new dances in the old style like they did last year? Derek mentioned in his blog that they "added 30 seconds and refined and reworked some sections" which makes it sound like they're just going to polish up the Taylor Swift dance? Have they done it that way before?

Many seasons ago they did do the repeat dance thing. But they haven't in awhile so now I'm already even more bored than I was just finding out the styles they were repeating. I don't want to see dances I've already seen. 

Wait where are you getting this info? Just wondering is there a promo on youtube or something?

Most of the stuff is on other boards and through the Pros and contestants' social media accounts. I know the stuff about Derek and Bethany's dance was in his weekly blog he does for TV Guide.

• Love 1

The couples perform on Monday. At the end of that night, one couple, based on last week's votes will be eliminated. Then viewers will have I think up to an hour for phone votes and also the usual online options to vote for the winner. So on Tuesday, based on the votes from the previous night and combination of the judges' scores, including the 24-hour fusion dance, the third, second and first place couples will be announced.

Does anyone know how this 2-day thing is going to work? Will we still have another voting opportunity?

Yep, one person gets eliminated Monday, and voting opens Monday night on the final 3 to determine the winner. Votes from last Monday determine who that eliminated person is. 

I really loved watching Len interact with Sadie and Mark. Curious about their freestyle since Derek said its really out of the box. Coming from Mark it could be really crazy or really great. It would have been nice to see CAI give dance pointers as opposed to rubbing gel on Alfonso' back good lord woman! Couldn't have his doctor thats treating him have done that?  Super excited about the freestyle though that obviously includes some tap dancing.

I just saw these and I'm kind of disappointed at the choices. I've noticed in more recent seasons the show started moving away from the idea of the judges picking a dance the pairing wasn't too great at the first time so they could get a chance to redeem themselves. I preferred that because to me it was more indicative of the celebrity's growth. I guess I sort of understand the Jive for Bethany because it was her first week dance so it's a good test to see how much she's grown since then but she was still pretty decent at the style, I thought for week 1 so I don't think this is a huge challenge.

This is we're I'm at.  When repeat dances are given at the very end I would like to see the couples take on a dance that they didn't excel at the first time around. 

eta:  Oh dear. I just saw the song spoilers and I can see what Derek means about Sadie and Mark's freestyle if just the song is making me go WTF. 

Edited by howmanywords

I really loved watching Len interact with Sadie and Mark. Curious about their freestyle since Derek said its really out of the box. Coming from Mark it could be really crazy or really great. 

I've seen rumors that it's to the theme song from Super Mario Brothers. Sounds like it could be... interesting. (What do we think, Mario and Luigi or Mario and Peach?) 

These are pretty much all over the place now so I'll just put them here.  IMO Bethany/Derek & Alfonso/Witneys freestyle songs are amazing.

Alfonso and Witney
Jive (Song: “3-6-9″ by Cupid feat. B.o.B  )
Freestyle (Song: “Sing, Sing, Sing (With a Swing)” by Benny Goodman  )
Vote: 1-800-868-3401

Janel and  Val
Samba (Song: “La Vida Es Un Carnaval” by Celia Cruz  )
Freestyle (Song: “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” by Sleeping At Last  )
Vote: 1-800-868-3405

Sadie and Mark
Samba (Song: “Hunter” by Pharrell Williams  )
Freestyle (Song: Theme from Super Mario Brothers  )
Vote: 1-800-868-3411

Bethany and Derek
Jive (Song: “Shake It Off” by Taylor Swift  )
Freestyle (Song: “Revolution” by Diplo  )
Vote: 1-800-868-3403

And here is the official ABC press release with all the finale details.

Apparently, they added 30 seconds to each of the jives because supposedly they were so short the first time.

I'm guessing Little Miss Sadie gets a perfect score for her samba since everyone was crying and whining about her not getting a perfect score the first time.

I think we all know how Janel and Val's freestyle is going to go.  I'm rolling my eyes already.  And let me just say, whoever remade that song just took all the fun out of it.  That's supposed to be a happy, peppy song.  Not a whiny, depressing one.

Seriously, Val?!? I'm already not looking forward to this because it just seems like he's trying to do what his brother did last season. And it looks like Derek has run out of ideas, too. The only freestyles that sound interesting are Alfonso and Sadie. Sadie's sounds like a gamble, though. Alfonso's will depend largely how his injuries hold up.

And it looks like Derek has run out of ideas, too.

I read his blog and I swear I thought he sounded more excited for whatever craziness Mark is coming with than his own freestyle for Bethany. But you know what, I would rather Derek just do something fun that Bethany could excel at than trying to re-invent the wheel or create something way over the top. Because as you noted, all the talk of Mark and Sadie's "OMG...you won't believe it" freestyle makes me think it's either going to be pretty damn amazing or a hot ass mess.

And we know with Mark that is always a huge possibility and one of the things I've always said I don't love about him. As creative and "outside the box" as he is, I do think at times he's done so to the detriment of his celebrity. As for Val, I'm guessing they'll go the tired Contemporary freestyle route which explains the rumor that he is the one Mandy is helping with his freestyle. 

Personally, in my opinion, once Contemporary became added as an official style on the show, it lost its wow factor as a freestyle, especially if the couple already did one at one point during the season. This is why personally, while I thought last season's cast was stronger than Season 17, I thought Season 17 had far better freestyles. I loved Bill, Amber and Jack's freestyle. Last season the only interesting freestyle in my opinion was James'. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I read his blog and I swear I thought he sounded more excited for whatever craziness Mark is coming with than his own freestyle for Bethany. But you know what, I would rather Derek just do something fun that Bethany could excel at than trying to re-invent the wheel or create something way over the top. Because as you noted, all the talk of Mark and Sadie's "OMG...you won't believe it" freestyle makes me think it's either going to be pretty damn amazing or a hot ass mess.

And we know with Mark that is always a huge possibility and one of the things I've always said I don't love about him. As creative and "outside the box" as he is, I do think at times he's done so to the detriment of his celebrity.

Reading this and about the Mark/Sadie freestyle gave me horrible flashbacks of his S12 freestyle with Chelsea Kane where they attached lights to themselves but her battery pack fell out and it was just a mess.

eta:  Oh dear. I just saw the song spoilers and I can see what Derek means about Sadie and Mark's freestyle if just the song is making me go WTF. 

To be fair I thought WTF when I heard Alfonso had to do a paso to "Turn down for what" and was pleasantly surprised. It's a gamble but this is Mark were talking about. I did try to listen to the theme song....and it can be grating after awhile so there is that.  As long as the routine is about Sadie in some way it could be really cool.  Mark has brought in 2 hip hop choreographers so it should be very unique.  I just hope that this isn't some cooky idea Mark wants to try that has nothing to do with Sadie being on DWTS.  Right now I don't see the connection....but it still seems like a cool idea for a dance.

Derek's blog makes it seem like a dancing tribute or walk down memory lane type of experience.  I envision something like Bethany's Rumba (dance with a message).  It sounds like there will be a lot going on with other dancers and the message as well. Smart move to incorporate other stuff to make the performance more dynamic and about Bethany. I don't think she could pull off a fun upbeat dance like Sadie so it's smart not to compare. If Derek did a straight up contemporary with Bethany it would be compared to Janel and I think Janel is the better dancer in that style.

Alfonso's freestyle is just what I expected with the tap dancing.  This is right up his alley.  I saw a lot of troupe in a rehearsal pick so just hope they don't take away from what Alfonso is doing.  Also worried that he won't be able to go full out with his injury.

Say what you will, but Val is smart to go with contemporary with Janel.  To be clear I am not referring to a showmance either. They do have good dance chemistry on the floor.  For me, Janel is versatile.  They can evoke different types of emotions when they dance and that all translates to chemistry for me.  I saw chemistry in their foxtrot, quickstep and paso doble for example and that was not "showmance."  I don't want to see Val  & Janel get out there and try to do a hip hop routine.  Why? She'd be compared to Sadie and Alfonso.  Why would they ignore one of their bests assets and go with a style that doesn't show it?  

Derek's blog was an interesting read and got me thinking about the evolution of the freestyle on DWTS.  For many seasons it was all about fun upbeat numbers.  Tony in the Allstar season was the first to do a slow lyrical freestyle and won.  The next year Derek did a slow lyrical number with Kelly P. and won.  Maks did the same with Meryl and won.  I don't see it as copying so much as understanding why the audience likes these types of numbers.  You can go big and bring in all this "stuff" and supersize your freestyle.  But I think at the core the main voting audience likes it when you bring it back to just 2 people dancing on the floor.  I think that is why people vote for these types of routines.

Edited by RemoteControl88

Alfonso's freestyle is just what I expected with the tap dancing.  This is right up his alley.  I saw a lot of troupe in a rehearsal pick so just hope they don't take away from what Alfonso is doing.  Also worried that he won't be able to go full out with his injury.

There will be at least one tap dancing solo based on this awesome little spoilery video 

• Love 2

My concern for a Janel romantic contemporary freestyle is that it might be hard to top their Romeo and Juliet contemporary, which I thought was awesome. But then, it does play to her strengths, so if Val can pull off something different enough it could be great.

My concern with the Super Mario theme is theme is I don't quite see what it has to do with Sadie. A fun, high energy dance seems right for her, but if it's just a "cool idea" that's been kicking around Marks head it might come off disconnected. But I'm hopeful it leans more towards very cool, rather than hot mess.

Derek's choice seems to fit for Bethany for me, I've liked her more intense/passionate dances the best (the paso, the Argentine tango) so a cinematic dramatization of her building an army of Motavators might be cool. Especially since her jive is on the fun/goofy end of things, so it's a variation in tone.

And Alfonso's seems like it's going to pay off in being as fun and awesome as I want. I think he's going to push through the injury (from interviews it he seems like he will even if he shouldn't.)

I do like that all four seem to be hitting different tones/moods, which feels right and usually makes it more entertaining. I actually like the contemporary freestyles, but if that's all there is it gets dull. There's a nice variety here, I think.

• Love 1
Say what you will, but Val is smart to go with contemporary with Janel. I don't want to see Val  & Janel get out there and try to do a hip hop routine.  Why? She'd be compared to Sadie and Alfonso.  Why would they ignore one of their bests assets and go with a style that doesn't show it?

But when did this become the only options for freestyle - do some overwrought "dramatic" contemporary or a hip hop? Janel's first perfect score came with her Jazz to West Side Story's "America". So they could have done a Jazz. There hasn't been to me, many truly awesome Bob Fosse-esque Jazz numbers on this show. He could have created something that plays to her sex appeal but also fun and cheeky at the same time. Or do something that incorporates different ballroom styles that showcases her growth through the competition. Like I said, I just think the whole contemporary thing is played out, especially after just last season seeing this with Maks and Meryl's so called amazing piece that I was neither moved nor mesmerized by.

Tony in the Allstar season was the first to do a slow lyrical freestyle and won.  The next year Derek did a slow lyrical number with Kelly P. and won.  Maks did the same with Meryl and won.  I don't see it as copying so much as understanding why the audience likes these types of numbers.  You can go big and bring in all this "stuff" and supersize your freestyle.  But I think at the core the main voting audience likes it when you bring it back to just 2 people dancing on the floor.  I think that is why people vote for these types of routines.

Well actually, to be fair, Maks and Erin were the first to do the contemporary style freestyle, albeit it was kind of a mess but still. Also, yes all these people won but you skipped one season in between Derek's win with Kellie and  Maks and Meryl's win - Amber's win in Season 17. Amber whose freestyle included stepping, part hip hop/Jazz and had at least seven other guys on stage with her. And she won. 

So I don't buy that the contemporary is the big way to go. In my opinion, Tony and Melissa's win had all but been sewn up weeks before the finale (and that's not me going into Grassy Knoll territory), Kellie's dance allowed Derek to show off her incredible athleticism and to be honest, it really was the only truly interesting and amazing one that year. I mean Mark put Aly on a pole, Karina brought way too many people on stage with Jacoby that created a big ol' mess and caused him to be lost in his own performance and Zendaya's was good but it felt short and slightly underwhelming.

And last year, again, Maks would have had to truly epicly fuck up that freestyle for Meryl not to win. That win was a done deal by mid-season. I don't think it was the over-dramatic freestyle that won it for them. Though I know their shippers certainly fell apart over it which I imagine may be Val's strategy here this year. And yes, I am aware that we haven't actually seen the freestyles so this is all conjecture and I may end up being wowed by all of them. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Given what everyone else is doing Janel will stand out doing a contemporary. My guess as to why they aren't doing jazz...it would be compared to Alfonso.  People have not responded well to anything Janel has done that plays to her sex appeal.  I wouldn't risk seeing how that goes over in my freestyle, cheeky or not.  There are many options for what you can do for freestyle not just hip hop & contemporary...my point was that of the options for a freestyle what plays to Janel's strength IS contemporary.

Season 17 Amber, Corbin & Jack each had routines that played to their strengths...just so happens that Amber's strength was hip hop/stepping, Corbin's was jazz & Jack's was ballroom.  Amber had a huge fanbase and the most memorable freestyle that night and she won.  Her routine stood out.

The "mix of ballroom freestyle" has been done several times already.  The last time I saw that was by Derek with Shawn and it wasn't that amazing IMO.  It wasn't a showstopper..so I wouldn't re-tread on that for my freestyle either.

What hardcore DWTS fans like in a freestyle might be different than what the casual viewer likes.  We've seen every type of freestyle and could be bored with contemporary.  But a 1st time viewer might feel that it stands out from the rest of the other dances.  

We'll see if it pays off or not.

My guess as to why they aren't doing jazz...it would be compared to Alfonso.

Isn't Alfonso's freestyle tap related? I mean I guess tap and jazz are in the same dance family but I think there are many ways to go with a jazz routine that would not be similar or get compared to a tap routine. Incidentally, I am looking forward to Alfonso's routine because at least it's something we haven't seen yet in a freestyle, much like Amber's stepping was the first time anyone had done that on the show.

People have not responded well to anything Janel has done that plays to her sex appeal.  I wouldn't risk seeing how that goes over in my freestyle, cheeky or not.

I said it could be sexy or cheeky and fun. Not that it had to be sexy and again there are plenty of ways to go with Jazz that is not about sexy faces and over the top sex appeal.

There are many options for what you can do for freestyle not just hip hop & contemporary...my point was that of the options for a freestyle what plays to Janel's strength IS contemporary.

Yes and my point was that that is not the only thing that plays to her strengths which is why I brought up the fact that her first perfect score came with her Jazz routine. Obviously I haven't seen the number yet and so I may end up pleasantly surprised but I seriously doubt it. I don't doubt that she'll deliver and dance well but unless they deliver some fast contemporary which going by their song choice seems unlikely, this will basically be some slow, maudlin redux of what they did barely four weeks ago with the Romeo and  Juliet dance. Sure, I guess for the viewer who will only turn in for the first time that night, it won't matter to them but for me, it just seems too obvious.

The "mix of ballroom freestyle" has been done several times already.

It was a suggestion to make the point that the freestyles should not basically be down to awful attempts at hip hop or contemporary. These should not be the only two options and I'd say the last time someone did that was actually Jack and Cheryl. There were jazzy/big band elements in there but Cheryl threw in a lot of the Smooth/Standard styles and their freestyle was amazing.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Well I guess we could go back and forth and speculate whether Val should have done a jazz or contemporary routine with Janel. shrugs.  He chose contemporary....I understand why he made that choice...hopefully it pans out.  I'm going to wait until Monday and see how things go.  I feel the same about Mark & Sadie.  Not much more I can say about this topic since they haven't happened yet. 

• Love 1

I do like that all four seem to be hitting different tones/moods, which feels right and usually makes it more entertaining. I actually like the contemporary freestyles, but if that's all there is it gets dull. There's a nice variety here, I think.

I agree.  There will be something for everyone which means a great show.

What I can't figure out is why either a jazz or a contemporary "freestyle" would be allowed at all?  According to the rules, the freestyle is supposed to be just that - something "made up" and not a known style.  When Maks and Erin did the first contemporary, it was not done on the show, so I could see that being allowed.  But now that both jazz and contemporary are regular dance styles, I would think that neither would be allowed as a freestyle.  Elements of them would be okay, but just as someone could not come out and do a straight jive or salsa as their "freestyle," I just don't see why they are allowed to do jazz or contemporary as their freestyle.  Takes the fun out of it for me.  I want to see what they can come up with when they basically have no rules.

Can I also just say that I liked it much better when the idea was a "redemption dance" where they re-did a dance that they had not done well with the first time and got a chance to do it better?  That said, I loathed Sadie's duck samba the first time.  I didn't care much for her costume, thought Mark looked like Fidel Castro and found it quite off-putting, and despised having her father and uncles on stage at the beginning with the stupid duck calls.  I am so not looking forward to having to sit through that again.  <sigh>

Freestyle is more so "do whatever you want: theme,music, costumes, etc", so if a couple chooses contemporary, let them. Nothing is against the rules in freestyle.

I also thought there were no rules for freestyle.  So if a couple chose to do just a jive or salsa for their freestyle, then they are free to do so.  I think most couples choose to do a fusion of ballroom or Latin dances because they think it's more exciting than to do just one dance style.  I also think the freestyles were more special when they didn't have troupe members dancing during the season and didn't have jazz/contemporary as styles.  Now, a couple has to do something really unique like tap or stepping to make it seem special. 

• Love 1

Unless the rules have changed, they are not allowed to do a single dance style for their freestyle.  That was established in the first season, and it's why you've never seen a couple do a jive or a salsa or samba or quickstep for their freestyle.  As far as I know, that's the only rule for freestyle, and I've never heard that they changed it.

I forgot that redoing a dance meant wearing the same costume as well which means I have to see Janel do a Samba again in that hot mess of a skirt which was the problem I had the first time she did this dance and had to deal with Mark and that stupid Duck Dynasty fake beard. Scores have been okay so far. Sucks for Bethany with that production issue but that's the breaks sometimes and the way she went off timing was way too glaring for a point to not be taken off.

She did a full turn while Derek was facing a whole other direction. Sadie's dance was okay but seeing it a second time actually just made me realize it was not that great. It was fun but not a great Samba so I was pleasantly surprised to see the two 9's considering how much the judges fell over themselves for it last time. I was expecting a perfect score. 

• Love 1

I'm predicting Bethany to be eliminated and while I think on some level Derek is expecting it (he tweeted about them going first and pointed out that the last two people to go first the night of the finals, got eliminated - Bill in Season 17 and James last season), I think he's really pissed about the production issue and feels like Bethany got shafted there. He was saying it was okay but his anger was written all over his face in my opinion, especially right as the dance was over. 

I feel an eyeroll coming with Mark and his "never been done in the history" boasts. I feel like I have heard those from Mark before and what he delivers are sometimes good and other times just a mess. I mean this is a guy who said he was revolutionizing the vertical stick or whatever he called it and all he did was essentially put Aly on a stripper pole. So color me a wee bit wary.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

WHY were we subjected to watching Sadie puke in a garbage can?!!! They could have just mentioned in passing that she got sick. Their duck samba tonight was entertaining though.

I like the behind the scenes dancing help Len and Bruno gave the "stars" and the pros. 

Alfonso is awesome, such a great dancer. 

I actually thought Bethany had a lot of energy in her Jive and was going for it (I could see the new parts Derek added to the dance) so much so that I kept waiting for it to go horribly wrong and her to lose balance or timing because she was going so fast...and well she did. As for Janel, I thought it was obvious she was hurting and I sympathize but her movement was definitely affected. 

eta: Oh they just cut in for the Ferguson decision. So some aren't going to see Mark's "never before seen" freestyle. For those still getting coverage, l look forward to hearing how it goes and the other freestyles, since they may not be back in time for those either.

Bethany's freestyle was awesome and well suited for her. Not the most amazing freestyle I've ever seen but pretty damn good and again it complimented her. And I totally got the Katniss/Hunger Games vibe from her look.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

George Stephanopoulos said they're going to broadcast the entire show (I'm guessing right after the special report). So for those who are DVR-ing this (or Castle afterward), adjust your DVR accordingly.

Edited by kirinan

I think Bethany's jive showed her improvement. I don't think it was going to be amazing without the snafu but it's too bad she didn't get to do her best.

I liked Sadie's dance better the first time. I think it might be because everyone else has seemed to improve but Sadie still seems at the same level. She seems to be having a lot more fun tonight than the last few weeks.

It was obvious to me that Janel was in pain. Too bad they couldn't fix her skirt though. Comparing Janel's dance to Sadie's looked like a big difference in content to me.

I liked Alfonso but something's off for me with him tonight. Looking forward to his freestyle.

I like that Bethany seems to have embraced this experience. Her freestyle was good and her best dance, in my opinion. I'm finding her more likeable and am glad she had her best dance for her final one.

• Love 1

There never seems to be the crispness in Sadie's moves that there are in the other dancers. Has she ever worn high heels to dance? I realize she is tall, but that is an advantage there that other women this season didn't have. I can't imagine dancing in the heels they do. I just don't see the level of praise they give her, other than at her age, she is doing very well. 

• Love 3

At least Mark and Sadie's freestyle was memorable and different.  We've seen Derek and Bethany's in just about every group dance Derek choreographs.  I'm am so sick of the arm thing he does in every dance.  

• Love 6

Was I watching the same dance that the judges were? Mark and Sadie's freestyle was disjointed and messy and her movements were the opposite of movements that deserve straight 10s. She's a cute girl, but come on. They must not want to piss off the Duck Dynasty fanbase — or Shirley Ballas. 

Edited by Stitsch
  • Love 8

Sadie and Mark were great!!  What a cute and innovative dance.  I am so glad that she got the scores that she deserves.

I would love a second place for Sadie with Alfonso taking it all. There is just no one who comes to him IMO.  I bet his freestyle will be amazing.

• Love 3