Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Was Lucifer good? The promos haven't really caught my attention. 

The X-Files is the only show that everyone watched but I could never get into. And I like Sci Fi shows. I don't know why I never felt the urge to watch it. 

I haven't gotten around to watching Lucifer or X Files yet…shoveling just about broke my back. 

However, I watched The Magicians on SciFi last night and I can say I'm intrigued. For now. Though at times, it feels like they're trying too hard to be cool and edgy. Oooohhhh…look, drug use! Smoking! Magic floating sex! It's like they're Daniel Radcliff trying to prove to everyone he's totally moved on from his Harry Potter days.

And I am completely sucked into The Expanse, also on SciFi. Which surprised me, since I've been feeling overloaded with dark, gritty, edgy shows that kill off or horrifically abuse any character I care about (looking at you, Game of Thrones, you sick fuck). I still need to watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic for some rainbows and unicorns. 

• Love 1

I'm a little on the fence with Lucifer. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I did think they overdid his 'charm' a few times.

I hope they don't jump into anything with the two leads yet. I'm not 100% sold on her either. She is a snowflake, but the actress has an interesting quality that doesn't turn me completely off over it. I did like the twist with her past.

Its worth giving it a few more episodes.

This episode of X Files was better, next one looks really good.

Patiently waiting for Limitless to return.

My local FOX put the wrong XF episode in their online player, so I've now seen eps 1, 2, and 4.  [They put 4 in the place of 2 online, but local FOX TV aired the proper episode 2 last night. EL OH EL. I think they shot 2-4 out of order, so the production numbers might be what caused the confusion.]

Anyway. No spoilers, but I liked ep 2 the best out of the three I've watched. 4 has a pretty lame MtoW, with the personal side of the story a whole lot stronger than the case. Gillian owns this ep.

Looking forward to episode 3 next week, this is the one that I neeeeeds.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 1

Hmmmm, it's a bummer if you didn't like 4 all that much because 5 & 6 are Chris Carter-penned, and my hopes are pretty low for those given his track record and that mess of a first episode. Which basically leaves Ep 3 as the sole good ep. I mean, I thought last night's was fine by later seasons X Files standards, but if of the six episodes, we get three in the C-/D+ range, two B-/C+, and one B+, that's not great. Although...maybe that's representative of the series, so I shouldn't have hoped for more.

It's not that I didn't like ep 4 as much as I thought the case of the week was kinda boring. BUT there's a big personal arc affecting MSR that's got plenty of screentime, and I liked that part a lot.

I think for me, ep 2 was the superior one because the MtoW was engaging [iTA in a latter series kind of way], and the cinematography was just plain gorgeous, oh my god.

But hey, there's a really great use of a song in ep 4. They always did that well.

It's all DD and GA for me, though, way more than script or direction. MSR can still get to me right where I live, and still have the power to turn me into a complete wreck [hi!]. I'm engaging with the new eps strictly from an emotional standpoint, which I can only hope will help me overlook CC being his usual terribad hack writer in the last two episodes.

• Love 3

I don't know who else is interested in the Prison Break revival or whatever. I'm not sure I am. But according to Spoiler TV Michael, Linc, Sara, Sucre, T-Bag (Jesus save me, if ever there was a character who needed to die more than Malcolm Merlyn, it's T-Bag, no matter how great Robert Keppner is) and C-Note are in the first episode. Did C-Note even appear post Season 2? I'm 99% sure he wasn't in Sona.

Edited for clarity thanks to @Morrigan2575.

Edited by bijoux

Okay, does anyone know who started the trend of making abusive relationships romantic? Seeing Kylo/Rey and Jessica/Killgrave shippers is making my heart bleed. There is a point when a bad boy is just an evil psycho and not redeemable. 

• Love 4

Okay, does anyone know who started the trend of making abusive relationships romantic? Seeing Kylo/Rey and Jessica/Killgrave shippers is making my heart bleed. There is a point when a bad boy is just an evil psycho and not redeemable. 

Buffy/Angel?  Although, it's probably way older than that.

Back in the 1970s  and 1980s, Mills and Boon/Harlequin published quite a bit of the "No! No! No!" she begged him, as he pushed her on the bed, and she found herself TOTALLY OVERWHELMED BY HIS VIRILITY YES SHE COULD NEVER GIVE HIM UP NEVER, including the one where the Greek guy kidnaps and rapes a British tourist to get revenge on her brother. Overcome by the sheer romance of all of this, she gives up her career to marry him at the end of the book. 

Don't judge me. I read it in junior high school.

Ok, judge me.

• Love 7

I read a lot of (what passed for) romance in the 90's and that trend seemed to have continued for a while.

Google "bodice ripper" and I've read pretty much all of them and was going along merrily with it all until the one where the 17year old who was raped by the 35yr old man who'd been grooming her since she was child and who she'd always considered a benevolent 'Uncle' eventually fell in love with him, after being overcome by the depths of his love and passion for her. Yuck. 

Shakespeare?  The Bible? I'm being facetious but kind of serious. 

I don't recall anything like that in any of the Shakespeare I read, but admittedly I haven't read all of his work.  Closest I could think of might Oberon/Titania.

Definitely not the Bible

Kylo must be fandom's new Loki.

Perhaps, but you don't see nearly as much Loki/whomever shipping as you see with Kylo/Rey...I'm not counting the incest shipping in that statement because that's a whole other issue altogether.

I see a lot of people doing the same woobifying of Kylo as they've done with Loki which I think is a bit strange because the two characters come from entirely different circumstances. I do think there is, however, a huge difference between being a fan of a villain and believing them to be misunderstood/redeemable. Unfortunately too many times I see people blur that line when referring to how other fans perceive a character, and as a result, group the "fangirls" altogether under the same label. For instance, I count myself as a fan of the Loki character even though I realize that he's insane and irredeemable. Why? Because I love watching the villains who bring on the cray-cray--especially when they do it with a lot of style and charisma. It's the same reason that my favorite Luther character is Alice Morgan. These characters get major bonus points if they're involved in interesting relationships with "the good guys" which cause them to sometimes behave themselves. Point is, people can fangirl murderous psychos and have it not be a case of romanticizing the character or wanting to ship them with the hero/heroine. Not that I'm singling you out as doing this--I'm not--but I see the generalization happen a lot and it bugs me.

Now that I have that off of my chest...I think Kylo/Rey shipping is icky. LOL!

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 3

Why would anyone ship Kylo and Rey when it is insanely obvious that Rey is gonna end being related to him? Do people not think?

Also I read my fair share of romance novels from age 13 till 15.5 I think I read close to 200 of them (this was in the late 90's early 2000's. there's only one book (the one that started my decent into romance craziness than) that I have returned to read time and time again "Exclusive" by Sandra Brown. great book where the heroine is not some damsel in distress.

• Love 1

Perhaps, but you don't see nearly as much Loki/whomever shipping as you see with Kylo/Rey...I'm not counting the incest shipping in that statement.

I don't know. When I go to AO3 and check the filters for Loki (Marvel), I get 3922 results for Loki/Tony Stark, 989 for Loki/Original Female Character, and 831 for Loki/Darcy Lewis.

• Love 1

That's a really good read. Thanks for bringing it over.

Who was twincest coined for? I want to say Cercei and Jaime but I think it was someone elsee. I know it just upped my gross factor from Wincest. 

Yeah, but Loki/Tony is a slash ship of what most people would perceive as two equally powerful male characters, not the traditional evil male/benevolent female relationship that's the stereotype. There's clearly a kink factor involved with the Loki/Tony thing which is a separate issue altogether. The amount of the other two Loki ships you mention aren't any more prevalent than I would expect of any other villainous character fan fiction pairing. In comparison, even in the short time that that SW: TFS has been out, there are already 1364 Kylo/Rey results in an AO3 search which sadly does fit into the whole evil male/benevolent female. That's why I said what I did. The whole Kylo/Rey thing has exploded and it's disturbing.

That's a really good read. Thanks for bringing it over.

Who was twincest coined for? I want to say Cercei and Jaime but I think it was someone elsee. I know it just upped my gross factor from Wincest.

I think I first saw twincest in reference to the Weasleys in Harry Potter. Someone took a picture of one of the actors holding a sign with that term and a big part of fandom recoiled in horror.

To the people who say cats are useless, tell that to the decapitated mouse body I found in the living room this morning. The cats even kindly left the separated head about a foot away from the body.

Near the end of my cat's life, she started wanting to be outside more, so I let her, she was old and dying anyway. She would bring me headless mice and leave them on the doorstep, like "LOOK, MOM!! I brought you a gift!"....Uhh....thanks...Kitty

• Love 1

Since we were talking earlier about the relative quality of X-Files mytharc vs. MOTW episodes, I found this Vulture episode ranking interesting. As expected, 11 of the top 15 (and I'm being very generous in giving a couple of those 4 mytharc episodes that status) are standalone/MOTW episodes. Kind of a fun read.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/every-episode-of-the-x-files-ranked.html

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 1

To the people who say cats are useless, tell that to the decapitated mouse body I found in the living room this morning. The cats even kindly left the separated head about a foot away from the body.

Come winter time it's hunting season in my apartment, for some reason some mice think it's a smart idea to enter into an apartment that houses five cats! - I say if a mouse is stupid/brave/suicidal enough to enter into my apartment than you deserve to die!

With that being said, today was my lab practical day and the cake was due. it looks like shit (I really suck at cakes!!) but you all deserve to see what it looks like. I couldn't get my hands on a funko pop Oliver (but I did buy and now own a Felicity one, so that's something).

With that being said I do love the top tier because i was able to experiment with a technique the chef didn't show us (carving), even if it could have come out looking better- again me and cakes, specifically fondant and just using it and painting on it and anything to do with creating cakes-- we just don't gel too well together. i'm more of an ideas person than execution.

Bonus points if you can identify the scene I used :-P

2wprs3s.jpg

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 9

It's cute. Looks nice and simple though I know that fade in the frosting is no way simple and neither is the picture. I don't necessarily understand the blue but it's pretty. I love the picture and then the Glasses and Mask. The flowers are great.

• Love 2

The Bundy boys and their friends who took over the wildlife refuge in Oregon have been arrested. One person dead, it looks like that Finicum guy, who was under the tarp and got mad when his child slave labor, aka foster kids, who were his "only source of income" were removed.

• Love 3

That's a very impressive cake, foreverevolving.

What made them finally arrest the Bundy boys?  I know the people of the two were pretty angry at them.

In my city, a cop killed a young man high on something two years ago.  The jury just acquitted him on second degree murder but convicted him of attempting to murder.  (He shot 6 bullets into the kid when he was dying on the ground and then tasered him.)  I find the deliberations fascinating.

I'm a little on the fence with Lucifer. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I did think they overdid his 'charm' a few times.

I hope they don't jump into anything with the two leads yet. I'm not 100% sold on her either. She is a snowflake, but the actress has an interesting quality that doesn't turn me completely off over it. I did like the twist with her past.

I liked him (Tom Ell9is was the lead on Rush and the original Robin Hood on OUaT) and the show is awfully campy which is a lot of fun.  The psychiatrist I think is played by Rachel Harris who played Lewis' love interest on Suits a couple of seasons ago and she's good with the quirkiness. I even like the kid.

The weak point is Lauren Gervais who plays the female lead/love interest. She's playing the role super dramatic when she should be playing it Ricky Gervais camp.

Also when she woke up in the hospital after getting pumped full of bullets, her makeup was perfect and her lips a lovely shade of rose.  It makes me appreciate even more the deathly pale face of Felicity in the last episode.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I liked her role on Hawaii, granted I didn't watch the show a whole lot. She reminds me a bit of early Beckett on Castle, just a bit rougher. I'm hoping they give her a little humor to play with, I think it could go a log way. 

Does anyone watch Unforgettable? I love procedurals and the memory thing could have been interesting, but that show is terribad. She is awful. When I can't sleep it's one of the shows I put on, I spend most of the episode cringing. And laughing. 

I watched the first season of Unforgettable, but I hated the main pairing. I didn't mind her so much though, it was just the two leads together....ugh. Until Arrow and Lauriver came along, they were my anti-chemistry winners. That was another situation where I shipped her with everyone but who the show wanted to ship her with. *sigh*

I wanted to like Lauren's role on Hawaii Five-0, because I really wanted another female character on the show, but she turned out to be my Laurel on that show. I just couldn't. I was relieved when they wrote her off.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

I liked her as Shay on Chicago Fire, maybe because that was a down-to-earth character.  Her role on Lucifer requires the charm of Beckett and the Beckett/Castle chemistry and she's just not doing it.

The lead has more chemistry with the little girl than he does with the mother.

Oh they have no chemistry on Unforgettable. At All. Every opening scene used to annoy because it was just her showing off and every man was so captivated by her charm. She was the ultimate snowflake. I was disappointed because I was looking forward to seeing her on my TV again (I was a fan of Without a Trace). The show had a gimmick, they didn't need to make the show a gimmick. 

I'm trying to remember why I liked Lauren on Hawaii and I think it was because I found her odd. Or prickly. I don't remember enough. I just know that I was sorry to see her go.

Kylo must be fandom's new Loki.

Is it the hair?  It has to be the hair. 

Back in the 1970s  and 1980s, Mills and Boon/Harlequin published quite a bit of the "No! No! No!" she begged him, as he pushed her on the bed, and she found herself TOTALLY OVERWHELMED BY HIS VIRILITY YES SHE COULD NEVER GIVE HIM UP NEVER, including the one where the Greek guy kidnaps and rapes a British tourist to get revenge on her brother. Overcome by the sheer romance of all of this, she gives up her career to marry him at the end of the book. 

Don't judge me. I read it in junior high school.

Ok, judge me.

I am sooo glad when most of the writers started standing up to the publishers and refusing to write them that way anymore. Because no, he's not a hero if he's raping her.  (Per some author's note she said it took a lot of convincing to get one published without a rape scene)

I thankfully came into the romance genre late enough that I remember only reading two books where the "hero" forces himself of an innocent.  One was an older book probably written in the 70's (he was a pirate) but the more disturbing one was new in the late nineties and in some ways it was worse than the pirate story since he didn't rape the heroine he threatened to rape her lady in waiting if the heroine didn't reveal where her mother and brother were hiding in the castle.  The heroine stays silent and he goes ahead and rapes her in front of her (at least no one was enjoying it much) and then the stupid mother and brother pop out like five minutes later cause they are tired of hiding.  I HATED that book.  The woman raped was at least actually traumatized but since the rape happened under "honorable circumstances" a proclamation was made that everyone had to pretend she was still a virgin. 

And the woman who refused to give up her family was forced to marry the guy who raped her fiend and she decides to just go with it and be happy.  They later have some rocky times but it has NOTHING to do with the fact the guy thinks rape is an appropriate form or interrogation. 

Awful, awful book by an otherwise reliable author.  I stopped reading any of her books shortly after that. 

Near the end of my cat's life, she started wanting to be outside more, so I let her, she was old and dying anyway. She would bring me headless mice and leave them on the doorstep, like "LOOK, MOM!! I brought you a gift!"....Uhh....thanks...Kitty

Aww!  I did that exact same thing with my former 17 year old house cat only he didn't do anything but go bask in the sun. 

Come winter time it's hunting season in my apartment, for some reason some mice think it's a smart idea to enter into an apartment that houses five cats! - I say if a mouse is stupid/brave/suicidal enough to enter into my apartment than you deserve to die!

With that being said, today was my lab practical day and the cake was due. it looks like shit (I really suck at cakes!!) but you all deserve to see what it looks like. I couldn't get my hands on a funko pop Oliver (but I did buy and now own a Felicity one, so that's something).

With that being said I do love the top tier because i was able to experiment with a technique the chef didn't show us (carving), even if it could have come out looking better- again me and cakes, specifically fondant and just using it and painting on it and anything to do with creating cakes-- we just don't gel too well together. i'm more of an ideas person than execution.

Bonus points if you can identify the scene I used :-P

2wprs3s.jpg

I like the impression it leaves, like a sunset over the water.  :D

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1