Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Edit: when I went to bed last night I could have sworn they were going to lose to the Cubs. Imagine my surprise when I saw the score this morning...

Ahhh, the Mets. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I'm largely apathetic regarding sports but I suppose I'm nominally a Mets fan because my mom and my husband root for them. They require very little attention because usually they've flamed out by now.

Edited by Menrva

So I have a new appreciation for Twitter right now.  Have a student in my household that goes to a local community college and around 11 got an automated call from the school saying there was an emergency situation, the school was on lockdown and students and faculty should seek the nearest shelter, lock the door, close the blinds, turn off the lights and stay quiet until further notice. 

Yeah, freaky. 

Popped the TV on.  Nothing

Hit the internet, did a Google search.  Nothing.

Hopped over to Twitter.  Popped in the name of the college and yup.  Confirmation.  Waited a few minutes and read reports of helicopters and police cars.  A few more and some smarty pants had tracked down local police radio chatter and determined that it was just a suspect loose in the area that had fled on foot after a police chase. 

Maybe twenty - thirty minutes later the local news station finally had it as breaking news and it was exactly what I already knew.  (FYI, lockdown is over now)

So upside, really immediate real time news (which I've heard before but first time it mattered to me)

Downside some A-hole pretended to have information and instead inserted a link that gave me a computer virus.  Grrr. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4

I bet it's Castle.  They've already broken up the couple that is the show's DNA (per Ausiello) so why not kill off Beckett entirely?  The big cliff-hanger will be whether she's really dead.

It seems completely idiotic to me because they've got an ABC extended winter break and I bet half the audience doesn't come back.

• Love 1

I bet it's Castle.  They've already broken up the couple that is the show's DNA (per Ausiello) so why not kill off Beckett entirely?  The big cliff-hanger will be whether she's really dead.

It seems completely idiotic to me because they've got an ABC extended winter break and I bet half the audience doesn't come back.

Its their go to cliff-hanger. How many episodes have ended with at least one of them almost dead? It would also be a realistic way for Beckett to go off the grid, finish her mission and be back in time for the spring finale episodes should they get a renewal (or to close out the series).

Its their go to cliff-hanger. How many episodes have ended with at least one of them almost dead? It would also be a realistic way for Beckett to go off the grid, finish her mission and be back in time for the spring finale episodes should they get a renewal (or to close out the series).

Castle seems to be the favorite guess

Castle seems to be the favorite guess

I was always a bit sad that Castle lost me. I enjoyed the show so much for the first two seasons, it gave me so many good moments, but when I tried to come back two seasons ago (I think) it had lost its magic for me and I just forgot to tune in after a couple of months.

But from what I hear, and if Beckett is the answer to the blind, well I won't be sad anymore.

The show is called Castle so theoretically anyone could die on that show except Castle - though killing Beckett would be spitting in the face of fans who have invested 8 years in the Castle & Beckett relationship. Personally, I think that show has run its course and should end.

• Love 2

Adele's new song is FANTASTIC. 

Here's the official vid:

You know, the first time I heard the song, I thought it was good but I wasn't really into it as much as some of her other songs from 21 and 19. But then, just like a lot of Adele's songs, it stuck and the chorus, especially, kept repeating in my head until I went ahead and re-watched the video (which is gorgeously shot). Then I re-watched it again. And again (x5)... And, now I love it! Lol. Adele's voice is some kind of witchcraft, I think. This always happens to me when it comes to her. Can't wait for the album to drop.

• Love 1

Here's the official vid:

You know, the first time I heard the song, I thought it was good but I wasn't really into it as much as some of her other songs from 21 and 19. But then, just like a lot of Adele's songs, it stuck and the chorus, especially, kept repeating in my head until I went ahead and re-watched the video (which is gorgeously shot). Then I re-watched it again. And again (x5)... And, now I love it! Lol. Adele's voice is some kind of witchcraft, I think. This always happens to me when it comes to her. Can't wait for the album to drop.

I got stuck in a lot of traffic yesterday and this song was all over the radio, I will say it helped keep my sanity. Adele really just has a way to reach through the air-waves and grab you.

Sherlock Holmes returns on Jan. 1, 2016!

Sherlock finally gets return date, plus new full trailer

BY JAMES HIBBERD Posted October 24 2015 — 10:02 AM EDT

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/24/sherlock-date

I enjoy the show.. but what i most love about it is that it's adapted to modern times.

If I want to watch 19th century Holmes i'll watch the RDJ movies.. or any other SH adaption out there.

Edited by foreverevolving

I decided to watch Doctor Who to see Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) and maybe it is Clara that is ruining the show. Maisie's second episode just featured her character and the Doctor and I really enjoyed it. That's the first time I liked 12. They played off each well despite Maisie being so young. I loved that we got a Captain Jack mention (which JB is kind of making me forget how good he was with Malcolm going past his expiration date on Arrow). I'd loved to see JB show up on Doctor Who again with Lady Me. 

• Love 1

I decided to watch Doctor Who to see Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) and maybe it is Clara that is ruining the show. Maisie's second episode just featured her character and the Doctor and I really enjoyed it. That's the first time I liked 12. They played off each well despite Maisie being so young. I loved that we got a Captain Jack mention (which JB is kind of making me forget how good he was with Malcolm going past his expiration date on Arrow). I'd loved to see JB show up on Doctor Who again with Lady Me. 

ohh, I have yet to watch last week and this week episode.. what was the mention?

Edited by foreverevolving

ohh, I have yet to watch last week and this week episode.. what was the mention?

It's kind of part of the two episode story. There is also a 10 flashback. 

The mentions to when Doctor Who was better is probably another reason I liked these two eps.

Edited by Sakura12

Is anyone here still watching OUAT? It had its fair share of cringeworthy moments, but Henry's romantic adventures must be at the top. I swear I was watching those scenes with my eyes and ears covered, ahah.

I stopped watching OUAT except for occasional peeks.  Right now, they're destroying the legend of Camelot, King Arthur and Excalibur.  And Henry's teen drama is seriously cringe-inducing.

Edited by tv echo

Seriously. Henry's the worst no matter what, but it's not just Henry himself, more those poor adult actors having to react to that plot. I  felt bad for them, ahah.

Last season I dropped it after the winter hiatus, and caught up just recently because I am interested in the Dark Swan arc, but now I've reached the conclusion that I must be watching because I secretly hate myself.

Edited by looptab

I have no idea where these pics originally came from, but I have to say I love these Shakespearean shots of Matt Ryan, Tom Mison and Tom Hiddleston...

Hollow Crown Fans ‏@HollowCrownFans
"All the water in Wye cannot wash your majesty's
Welsh plood out of your pody," @mattryanreal #ShakespeareSunday
CSHA29cWEAAsn7E.jpg
8:35 AM - 25 Oct 2015

https://twitter.com/HollowCrownFans/status/658305776168009728

Rose ‏@thelifeof_rose
"My due from thee is this imperial crown," - Henry IV pt2 (A4, S5)
#ShakespeareSunday #TomMison
CSHB1NZWUAEMBe9.jpg
8:39 AM - 25 Oct 2015

https://twitter.com/thelifeof_rose/status/658306796486979584

William Shakespeare ‏@Wwm_Shakespeare
Tennis-balls, my liege.
#ShakespeareSunday
#Agincourt600
CSLmPKpU8AAAeuk.png
10:57 AM - 25 Oct 2015

https://twitter.com/Wwm_Shakespeare/status/658341644752650240

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

My kids have even stopped watching OUAT. They can't be bothered. It's really boring and depressing. And I thought Dark Emma had potential, but what they've put around it is just awful.

My kids still like OUAT, heaven knows why, so I watch it with them. But oh, it is painful to watch. I used to love it, and then gradually enjoyed it less and less, though I did watch it for the costumes. I'm grateful I'm still sewing their Halloween costumes so I can have a distraction while that terrible, terrible show is on. But there's so few shows we can watch as a family, so there you go.

I cannot figure out what the point of the show is anymore. Since they're currently ruining Camelot, I can't help but think of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Oh, for some coconuts…

Looks like we were thisclose to getting a Dawson/Joey pairing there at the end.  Thank goodness that didn't happen!  Dawson was such a pretentious douche and I'm just now finding out he was modeled after Kevin Williamson?  Oh my.  

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 2

I only watched the first two seasons of Dawson's Creek, but I kind of loved Joey for how self absorbed she was while the show was seemingly trying to sell her as this really nice girl. I loved how anytime she had a conversation with someone about their problems she'd always bring it around to herself and how her father was in prison and whatever else was going on with her. She definitely had valid problems, though, but...still. Dawson's Creek never hooked me so I bailed just before the second season ended when Andie started seeing dead people.  

Edited by manbearpig

Greg Berlanti recalls how he put Pacey and Joey together on Dawson's Creek:

How Joey and Pacey Found Love on Dawson’s Creek

http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/joey-pacey-dawsons-creek.html

I basically lived on Dawson's Wrap back then. Oh the memories.

Thanks for posting that Link @dtissagirl, a interesting read, also I didn't know about Vulture's High School TV Showdown. Love it!!

Dawson's Creek has already lost to BTVS.

• Love 1

Oh the memories!!! Dawson's Creek was one of the first shows I watched with my friends as a collective show. It also counts as my first TV bet win. I bet my friend Joey & Pacey would end up together and won. Very proud of myself for that one!

I did love how they ended it with the audience getting what they wanted and the Williamson also getting his happy ending, but not at the expense of the show he had left. Also felt it was sad to see Jen go out the way she did, but it was kinda worth the emotional feels because it was a shocking yet emotionally satisfying twist. Michelle Williams nailed that final episode. It really did feel like a well-written & well-acted coming of age story, even though I know BTS it was a complete clusterf*ck. Perhaps that's the best way to have authentic late adolescence written, by having a complete lack of order & predictability in the writers' room to accidentally capture the crazy that happens in late-adolescence/early adulthood.

• Love 1

I actually missed all of the Joey/Pacey stuff because after season two (I think?) we lost the WB channel through our satellite provider, I guess.  I remember seeing a few seasons of Felicity and a season of Jack & Jill (I periodically check for the DVDs of that show, but I guess I'll never get to see how it ended).  Luckily, DC reruns started airing on TBS while I was still in school, so I taped ALL of the episodes on VHS  and marathoned the whole thing years after the show had already ended, ha.  Now if I can just find Jack & Jill...

I quit DC after the S4 finale, and then I only watched Castaways and the series finale while it was still airing. . But I have such an immense attachment to it. It premiered my freshman year at college, and I would watch it while on the phone with my sister. She's 7 years younger than me, so it was our little weekly ~bonding moment~.

Then in September 2000, sister and I went to a Dawson's Creek weekend meetup, and I legit made friends for life. I met one of my best friends there [instant BFF by realizing we both hated Dawson!], and now she lives like, 5 blocks from my place. She came to visit me a few times after me met, and fell in love with the city. She likes to say Pacey made it happen. Heh.

• Love 3

So watching latest Treehouse of Horror, and holy shit.  Sideshow Bob kills Bart, rips out his guts, uses a corkscrew to grab some of his brains and put it in a glass of wine, puts a smile on his dead face, and uses his mouth as a putting target.  GEEZ!

Now he keeps reanimating him so he can kill him again.  The Simpsons has gone DARK.

Edited by AyChihuahua

I can safely say IMO opinion no character was ruined to make the pairing work. But to each their own. I think Andi was sacrificed in the writers' room because they were trying different angles to make the story more dramatic and less folksy coming of age, and her story lent itself to that. They wanted edgier. As for Dawson, he became far more palatable when he stopped pining after Joey, while simultaneously taking her for granted.

The book that was recommended here "Billion-Dollar Kiss: The Kiss That Saved Dawson's Creek and Other Adventures" by Jeffrey Stepakoff really shared some insight into the craziness that went on BTS. If the characters suffered a times, I think it had more to do with the BTS dramatics than any pairings, especially during s3. It's a interesting read.

It still blows my mind that Alex Gansa one of the powers behind Homeland at one point was behind the helm of DC. Just craziness!

• Love 1

Dawson's Creek was totally my jam during the high school years. Not so much the college edition. I managed to watch most of season 5, though a million things bothered me, then got back for Pacey and Joey's mini reunion in season 6 (oh, the make out session on the office couch), only to be bitter for her going back to douchy Eddie. Part of it was that these characters were the exact same age as I was and while insane, I felt like they responded to the emotional beats of being a teenager in the late '90s. Also, I fully blame that show on having tendencies to act as a verbose prick when irritated. Man, could they twist a sentence.

I hated Dawson with the fire of a thousand burning nuns (that's also from that era, isn't it?) but I have to say I really started to like James Van Der Beek as an adult. He really developed a nice sense of humor and those Dawson memes and gifs he did for a while were a thing of beauty.

Damn both Williams and Berlanti for killing Jen, though. Like she didn't suffer enough over the course of the show.

• Love 3

Dawson's Creek was totally my jam during the high school years. Not so much the college edition. I managed to watch most of season 5, though a million things bothered me, then got back for Pacey and Joey's mini reunion in season 6 (oh, the make out session on the office couch), only to be bitter for her going back to douchy Eddie. Part of it was that these characters were the exact same age as I was and while insane, I felt like they responded to the emotional beats of being a teenager in the late '90s. Also, I fully blame that show on having tendencies to act as a verbose prick when irritated. Man, could they twist a sentence.

I hated Dawson with the fire of a thousand burning nuns (that's also from that era, isn't it?) but I have to say I really started to like James Van Der Beek as an adult. He really developed a nice sense of humor and those Dawson memes and gifs he did for a while were a thing of beauty.

Damn both Williams and Berlanti for killing Jen, though. Like she didn't suffer enough over the course of the show.

I don't think Berlanti had any say in having Jen die or stay alive, so I'm gonna give him a pass. It was all Williamson.

With you on being all in for the J&P reunion in s6. I think the only reason it didn't happen sooner was because they had already paid the guest stars. And I do think the JJ & KH, did not enjoy playing romantic with each other after their own romance fizzled & the writers probably tried to respect that. I couldn't stand her college BFs. Ugh, they were just horrible. I also feel like she became a different person around them. Very JoeyPod.

I definitely feel that a lot of the appeal of DC for me came from being around the same age as them. Their emotional beats felt very real and relatable. Its interesting, I have rewatched Felicity multiple times, which was also on while in my age/lifestage, so it also felt very real and loved my rewatch marathons. Both show's life journeys synced up with mine. However, I haven't been able to rewatch DC all over again, I've caught a few sporadic eps & youtubes - but somehow it felt so right the first time that I do not want to ruin it with a critical eye. The nostalgia of it has erased all the flaws and just left the good memories (even if some of the emotions are sad).

I do blame them a lot for my verbose nature. They really used like 20 words to say something that could have been said in 5. It was definitely made during a time when texting and unlimited messages were not a thing. Now I feel like kids these days try to say everything in a tweetable length. Can you imagine the cell phone bills of the DC gang back in the day, if they had them & paid for messages?

I liked Dawson in the beginning, then hated him for a lot of the series. And then came to like him again by the end. But I never dislike James Van Der Beek. His talents always seemed to be better than whatever Dawson was doing. I also feel like a I personally knew a lot of Dawsons, so his whiny baby doucheness just felt authentic to me.

I can't watch The FLASH without getting a little nostalgic for DC. JWS playing both Dads just really resonates with me. When he left BA in 201, I really hoped he didn't mention anything about ice cream, because I don't think I could have dealt with that type of twist again, it was heart-wrenching and believable (which is the worst combination). My friend was like "why is he leaving his son now that he can finally be around him?". And all I said was "IDK, but he better not want ice cream". She said "Touche". We had jaw-dropped and cried our way together through those Dawson's Dad scenes 10+ years ago.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2

As I remember (and I could be wrong here), Katie Holmes and Joshua Jackson had already broken up by the time Pacey and Joey came on the scene the first time around. I think they were in a relationship early in the show run. Season 1, season 2. Although I felt they had potential as far back as their science project in season 1 when they went hunting for either snails or frogs. It was something that made me sit upa straighter. Hello.

In fact, possibly my biggest regret regarding the show stems from the fall out from Joey and Dawson's first kiss. I made myself believe that they would pull apart all flushed and embarassed, "wow, talk about awkward, let's never do or mention this again."

• Love 1

As I remember (and I could be wrong here), Katie Holmes and Joshua Jackson had already broken up by the time Pacey and Joey came on the scene the first time around. I think they were in a relationship early in the show run. Season 1, season 2. Although I felt they had potential as far back as their science project in season 1 when they went hunting for either snails or frogs. It was something that made me sit upa straighter. Hello.

I honestly can't remember when their off-screen relationship began or ended. So I could have been wrong in my speculation. I too thought Joey & Pacey had potential from s1. I definitely sat up a lot straighter during that science fair trip. Honestly, I feel like their TV relationship worked on some many levels regardless of whatever they had on/off screen.