Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I’m mostly fine with GOT. It’s on par with S7 for me. It’s not the best season for sure and there are certainly problems, but I don’t think it’s a dumpster fire.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Granted I didn't see any chemistry from any of the relationships on CM. 

This is very true.  And likely is a part of why they stood out to me since I think you would agree at least that they had a strong, playful, friendship chemistry at least. As the show went on, I think they upped their connection to something closer to family.  (There was even double dating, lol) But millage does vary.   

About GOT, I've really not watched much over the years, but I keep reading other people's discussions this year (it's unavoidable, lol) and am really curious how it all turns out in people's opinions after tonight's final episode. I wish you all the best of luck!

I'm sad they're cancelling Whiskey Cavalier. It had a great cast and was so much fun. 

@BkWurm1 yup I definitely enjoyed the friendship. I wouldn't have balked at a romance either I just didn't see one. It was one of those lovely shows before Olicity where anyone could have married anyone and I would not have batted an eyelid. No one annoyed me either. Bliss.

• Love 1

GoT went out with a whimper imo. They rushed through everything to get to their final outcome and pretty much forgot a lot of the story along the way. I definitely won't be following those show runners to any of their new projects. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

GoT went out with a whimper imo. They rushed through everything to get to their final outcome and pretty much forgot a lot of the story along the way. I definitely won't be following those show runners to any of their new projects. 

I agree. It's not so much the endings themselves, it's that the path towards them wasn't fleshed out enough. In that it feels very much like MG. There was an end point they wanted, but didn't put in the work to get there. I have plenty of complaints, but have also been fine with the season. It's just that it could have been considerably better. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

GoT said screw foreshadowing, character development, and storylines making sense. D&D were like lets blow this shit up fast so we can go mess up star wars next. lol 

• LOL 2
(edited)

If you didn't see this segment on last night's Red Nose Day tv special, here's the full version and it's hilarious...

Coldplay's Game of Thrones: The Musical (Full 12-minute version)

(Coldplay)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Considering how much the OTA/Olicity fans have done to promote Arrow and raise money for charities (Times Square billboards, Olicity bench, etc.), I found this article interesting...

Fans vs. Networks: Who should be doing the promotional work?
by Mads Lennon  May 24, 2019
https://hiddenremote.com/2019/05/23/fans-vs-networks-tv-shows/

Fan campaigns rule the world nowadays with fandom becoming a crucial element to dictating which tv shows live and die. But do networks exploit fan passion?
But who is responsible for getting shows rescued most of the time? The fans. It’s incredible to see an outpouring of love and hope from fans who are desperate to get their fave series picked up for another season. ...

Except, that’s sort of strange, isn’t it? To have fans doing the work of the network. Why is the onus of marketing suddenly on fan passion now?
But the cynical part of me has to wonder, is this what networks wait for every season? Did ABC cancel Whiskey Cavalier knowing it had a passionate fanbase who would beg and plead for it to be saved, with the hopes this outcry and controversy would boost ratings for a second season?

In recent years, it appears networks have realized they don’t have to pay money in extravagant marketing plans if they know their fans will do it for them. Several shows get bumps from word-of-mouth. Look at the CW series like All American and Riverdale.
I don’t point this stuff out to say people shouldn’t campaign for their favorite shows, on the contrary, this points to the fact networks truly do care about social media chatter and it’s important to keep shows on the air.

But I do sometimes worry about how the future of television will look if it becomes more about fan’s responsibility than the network’s actually shelling out the cash necessary to properly promote their shows, particularly those with diverse casts and original stories.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Any seen the third John Wick movie? Are all the dogs ok in it?

Spoiler

There is some violence towards one of the dogs, but all the doggos are okay in the end. And, as in the first JW, that violence is not tolerated. 

• Love 2

So I'm shopping for new bedding and I was wondering if anyone here has tried bamboo sheets,  which I'm considering for their cooling and moisture wicking abilities.   Amazon has a ton of choices starting at 40 dollars going to 200 and I'm a bit overwhelmed by my options. 

10 hours ago, Delphi said:

So I'm shopping for new bedding and I was wondering if anyone here has tried bamboo sheets,  which I'm considering for their cooling and moisture wicking abilities.   Amazon has a ton of choices starting at 40 dollars going to 200 and I'm a bit overwhelmed by my options. 

I've never tried bamboo sheets, but I have a couple bamboo shirts and they are ridiculously soft. Now you have me wanting bamboo sheets. 

• Love 2

I got a movie that I've never seen...

Which Teen Movie From The Last Decade Are You?
Nora Dominick   June 2, 2019
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/which-teen-movie-from-the-last-ten-years-are-you

You got: Eighth Grade
Your personality matches Eighth Grade. Like the characters in the movie, you're someone who isn't afraid to speak your mind. You march to the beat of your own drum, and you try not to care what others think. You're kind, persistent, and brave.

• Useful 1

I got:

You got: To All the Boys I've Loved Before

Your personality matches To All the Boys I've Loved Before. Like the characters in the film, you're someone who wants to leave this world better than how you found it. You're passionate, hardworking, and charming. You're someone who believes in true love, and you're always looking out for someone special to share your life with.

@tv echo can you rig your answers so you get something more familiar?

I had no idea about any of those High Schools so picked the Boys Meets World one because that seems about as harmless as my HS was. The others were full of murders and stuff.

4 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

@tv echo can you rig your answers so you get something more familiar?

Don't know. I guess if you keep taking the quiz and changing your answers, you'll get different movies. But who has the time?

I got Sing Street

Your personality matches Sing Street. Like the characters in the movie, nothing will stop you from following your dreams. You know your meant for greatness, and nothing will stop you from achieving all the goals you set for yourself. You're creative, headstrong, and hardworking.

I have no idea what that movie is. (The part about nothing stopping me from following my dreams is very ironic at the moment since I'd got something I should have finished 5 weeks ago.)

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I got Sing Street

I have no idea what that movie is. (The part about nothing stopping me from following my dreams is very ironic at the moment since I'd got something I should have finished 5 weeks ago.)

Do you need me to yell at you so you finish it?

Maybe I need to switch from encouraging mode to screaming mode😂

It's 15 degrees C today and I'm dying. I don't know how all you people who live in the cold do it. My friend from the UK laughed at me and said it's the same temperature where they are  right now and they're in summer. It's so bitterly cold. I keep wearing beanies and coats.  I'm sick of that look😭😭😭

• LOL 2

It's 15 here today (59F) and started raining after I left home without my umbrella. I wouldn't mind it warmer so I could finally start wearing my summer clothes.

23 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Do you need me to yell at you so you finish it?

Maybe I need to switch from encouraging mode to screaming mode😂

I'm beginning to think that yelling might be needed.

In one of his earlier book, Albert Ellis (founder of rational emotive therapy) talking about a case of his, a PhD student who wasn't accomplishing anything on her thesis. Ellis told her that if she wrote 2 pages in the day, she could play with her new kittens for an hour. She came back at the next session and said it didn't work.  So he told her to take $500 out of the bank (these were the days when $500 was a full year's tuition) in 5 $100 bills.  If she didn't write at  least 2 pages that day, she had to take one of the bills and burn it. 

That worked. Some of us need more "encouragement" than others.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

So he told her to take $500 out of the bank (these were the days when $500 was a full year's tuition) in 5 $100 bills.  If she didn't write at  least 2 pages that day, she had to take one of the bills and burn it. 

That worked. Some of us need more "encouragement" than others.

haha that is me!

Hubs kept trying to entice me to go to sleep earlier (gonna die young if don't sleep blah blah blah) by adding to the jewellery fund which never worked however deductions to the jewellery fund worked wonders and had me high tailing it at bedtime!

Same with fanfic too. He sleeps next to me on the couch and wakes up at random intervals to yell. It should stifle creativity but surprisingly I type very quickly out of fear 😅

ETA: It is hitting 23 degrees on Monday (if their predictions are correct) and we're going to the beach! Our beach day standards keep lowering. Last beach day was 25C which was a tad cool in the ocean but we made the best of it and now we're settling for lower and lower temps!

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • LOL 4
(edited)

Question:

I have a flight back to Sydney on the same day as a once in a lifetime concert we want to go to. Flight should land at 5.30pm. We can get home by 6, leave the kid with my sister. Get to the venue by 7.45pm. Concert starts at 8pm. 

Should I gamble and buy tickets or just accept that we can't go? I think there's a good chance we'll make it but if they delay the flights that day...... I'm so torn😣

Edited by Mellowyellow

I'm determined to post about my gem adventures until this forum shuts down so here's the latest one. 

One of my gem friends has a temperamental big sister who yells at her a lot. Once the sister apologised for her bad temper by sending her jeweller on a jet to my friend with a tray of sapphires for her to choose from. Sister then made the sapphire into a humongous ring as a gift for my friend.

Anyways Lil Sis heard this tale and straight away wailed at me that I've never done anything remotely as nice for her despite being quite difficult myself😂

She's turning 30 this year (and dreading it) so to soften the blow and as a joke I had my jeweller source this Zambian emerald for her (not as fine as Columbian unfortunately) and made it into a ring with pink spinels. 

20190612_091005.thumb.jpg.999a81cabd8b5c191bd1455bc5474935.jpg

I had one made for myself too with a cab but I'm not entirely happy with mine as the cab is rather included. I think the jeweller sold me a really nice stone for her but got me one with my ring. Oh well. Live and learn. 

20190612_091057.thumb.jpg.2998b2582c41c73b95ddaebfff46f882.jpg

• Love 2
On 6/12/2019 at 12:09 AM, Mellowyellow said:

I'm determined to post about my gem adventures until this forum shuts down so here's the latest one. 

One of my gem friends has a temperamental big sister who yells at her a lot. Once the sister apologised for her bad temper by sending her jeweller on a jet to my friend with a tray of sapphires for her to choose from. Sister then made the sapphire into a humongous ring as a gift for my friend.

Anyways Lil Sis heard this tale and straight away wailed at me that I've never done anything remotely as nice for her despite being quite difficult myself😂

She's turning 30 this year (and dreading it) so to soften the blow and as a joke I had my jeweller source this Zambian emerald for her (not as fine as Columbian unfortunately) and made it into a ring with pink spinels. 

20190612_091005.thumb.jpg.999a81cabd8b5c191bd1455bc5474935.jpg

I had one made for myself too with a cab but I'm not entirely happy with mine as the cab is rather included. I think the jeweller sold me a really nice stone for her but got me one with my ring. Oh well. Live and learn. 

20190612_091057.thumb.jpg.2998b2582c41c73b95ddaebfff46f882.jpg

Those rings look very young and fun.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Those rings look very young and fun.

I'm side eyeing the jeweller a bit on my stone. I always feel with jewellers they get progressively more shady the more you buy instead of the whole valued customer mantra.

@scarynikki12 all I have right now are frozen peach cobblers from last summer's peaches 😊

(edited)

Apparently Avengers: Endgame is going to be re-released with new bonus scenes next week. I have to admit, if it shows up at a theater near me, I may just have to watch it again.

Btw, if you're a Chris Evans fan, I highly recommend a 2017 movie called Gifted, in which he plays a single man raising his young orphaned niece who's a 7-year-old math prodigy. It's a good movie and he's very good in it.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
On 6/19/2019 at 8:38 AM, tv echo said:

Apparently Avengers: Endgame is going to be re-released with new bonus scenes next week. I have to admit, if it shows up at a theater near me, I may just have to watch it again.

Btw, if you're a Chris Evans fan, I highly recommend a 2017 movie called Gifted, in which he plays a single man raising his young orphaned niece who's a 7-year-old math prodigy. It's a good movie and he's very good in it.

I'll second the recommendation.  

This result is completely incorrect for me...

Everyone's Personality Matches A "Toy Story 4" Character — Here's Yours
Nora Dominick  June 23, 2019
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/which-toy-story-4-character-are-you-quiz

You got: Duke Caboom
Your personality matches Duke Caboom. You're charming, sincere, and funny. Like Duke, you love to live on the edge. While being adventurous is in your DNA, you also don't mind spending quiet nights in with your closest friends.

• LOL 1
(edited)

I don't whether to be happy or sad about my results (some of which I totally guessed)...

How Much Random TV Knowledge Do You Have?
Nora Dominick  June 26, 2019
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/random-tv-knowledge-trivia-quiz

You got 8 out of 13 right!
You love certain TV shows!
You did a good job on this TV quiz, even . though you didn't nail all the questions. You probably have a few TV shows you absolutely love and you're looking to expand your TV repertoire.

87%
You scored better than 87% of quiztakers.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

This looks really good, although I wonder why they made a certain change from the animated film (mentioned below tweet, so don't scroll down if you don't want to know)...

Mulan is played by Chinese-American actress Yifei Liu (aka Crystal Liu), and her love interest Chen Honghui is played by New Zealand actor Yoson An (deviating from the animated film, he'll be an "ambitious" recruit who joins Commander Tung's unit).
5b71b3cebda1c71b008b45dc-640-480.jpg

5b180f8c5e48ec1d008b4582-640-480.jpg

Other cast members include Jet Li (the Emperor of China), Donnie Yen (Commander Tung), Tzi Ma (Mulan's father), Rosalind Chao (Mulan's mother), Gong Li (new villain, a powerful witch), Xana Tang (new character, Mulan's sister), Ron Yuan (Sergeant Qiang) and Jason Scott Lee (a villain). See link below for other cast members.
(source)

Edited by tv echo
19 minutes ago, tv echo said:

This looks really good, although I wonder why they made a certain change from the animated film

The original Mulan film didn't do well in China, so Disney is hoping to make changes enough to capitalize on the 2nd biggest movie market (the highest grossing Chinese-based films there reportedly themselves make over $500 million) since it's presumed that American audiences will likely see the film already from nostalgia alone (although with too many changes, I think that could be a gamble). I think it might be kind of iffy to go too hard into the changes just to appease China, since China already made their own straight adaptation of Mulan not too long ago and Aladdin, which kept way closer to the animated movie and not to the original source material, did very well overseas (then again, factors like Will Smith's star power and the large box office it got in its initial release shouldn't be ignored), but Disney's had way more successes than failures. 

(edited)

I'm unstoppable! Found a supplier in China and go on live stream to sift through jade for my jewellery projects. 

Google translate is apparently good enough to conduct full projects with my jeweller who only speaks Mandarin😂

I had this set made for Lil Sis. It was a stroke of luck to find matching flowers. 

20190716_092507.thumb.jpg.332a2e5da0e81266569c14b086ce2ad0.jpg

My lotuses

20190716_092852.jpg

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 4

Omg I'm so excited about Big Little Lies I can't decide whether I should hit the spoilers as soon as it airs or surprise myself and wait until I watch it. 

I just HAVE to know what will happen!!!!!!

Anyone here watch that show?

I watched last season, but it never truly grabbed me, so I haven’t been tempted by the new one. 

The Handmaid's Tale is enough of a chore to get through this season already. 

Has anyone tried a Torta Caprese?

I saw Giada make one and I'm kinda obsessed with it but I have a very fraught relationship with chocolate so I'm not sure I want to commit the time to one. 

If you've tried it please let me know what the texture is like!