Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Ah, ok, I never watched Ugly Betty.

I went back and checked IMDb to refresh my memory.  They only had seven seasons, and the seventh season was only 13 episodes.  

They actually did a reset in the middle of season six.  I'd forgotten that.  I thought it was a separate season.  They wrapped up the Red John case in the first eight episodes, and then did a time jump, and then came back and pulled Jane and Lisbon in to working for the FBI.  Cho was already there, and Rigsby and Van Pelt had gotten married, had kids, and started a PI business.  They didn't continue on as regulars after the move. I'm simplifying a lot but that's a broad overview.

Edited by Starfish35
33 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Also anyone know if Betty and Daniel Meade ever got together? I suddenly remember I shipped them for a while and then got distracted and moved on. 

Betty and Daniel didn't get together, but in the series finale Daniel realized he loved her, and the very last scene was him offering to take her out to dinner. It pretty much left it up to the viewer's interpretation what happens next.

• Love 2

Awww!!!! I'd take that as a happy ending!!!!!

ETA: I remember really liking her and Henry (Christopher Gorham) and then there was this scene on the bridge with Betty and Daniel and I think maybe BMD with Henry so I swapped ships. But then I lost interest! Ahh healthy shipping! Makes me wonder why I couldn't ship Olicity in a healthy normal manner! 

Random thought: BMD really ruins everything! They seem to love it in shows! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Awww!!!! I'd take that as a happy ending!!!!!

ETA: I remember really liking her and Henry (Christopher Gorham) and then there was this scene on the bridge with Betty and Daniel and I think maybe BMD with Henry so I swapped ships. But then I lost interest! Ahh healthy shipping! Makes me wonder why I couldn't ship Olicity in a healthy normal manner! 

Random thought: BMD really ruins everything! They seem to love it in shows! 

I only occasionally watched UB (too many other shows at conflicting times) so I often only got to watch when my show (whatever it was) was a rerun but I always kinda shipped Betty and Daniel.  In it's final season I did watch and while it was clear that they had to FF their plans that last season, I thought the move toward them was well done.  They got a lovely dance in one episode and Betty striking out on her own so she no longer worked for him and then Daniel chasing after her in a new city.  Yeah, unless you hated them as a couple, the intent for a happily every after was there even if the show didn't have the time to show it.     

• Love 3

Psych aired first and then The Mentalist debuted two years later. I remember the Psych cast joked about it and even included a Mentalist reference in one of their episodes. Although the premise (fake psychic) was the same, Psych was more of a comedy, while Mentalist was a drama.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

Lego Batman beat the Fifty Shades sequel at the box office.  That is incredible.

Don't R rated movies regularly get beat by more generally rated movies?  Plus the Batman Lego Movie has been really well reviewed.  I insist on living in a world where this is just logic at work.  ;) 

• Love 5

Posting in this thread because there are no Arrow spoilers - Matt Mitovich's big news: Lucifer has been renewed...

TV Line's Ask Ausiello Live! facebook video chat from Feb. 13, 2017:

Edited by tv echo

I've been feeling that This is Us hasn't been firing on all cyllinders for a few episodes now, and I still don't think the last one did so either, but that scene with Randall and Kevin was beautiful and I really enjoyed the parallel to the past, demonstrating both how Kevin is changing and how hard it is to break your habits with Randall. I also like these insights into their lives when they were teenagers. I am un-twinning you. Hee.

I just hope that

Spoiler

the understudy showed up on stage three seconds after it cut. Sloane doesn't deserve to be humiliated.

Kate's resolution from last week's cliffhanger was lame, but then it was a lame cliffhanger. At least it wasn't enraging. I do have to say I'm finding myself 'not not liking' Toby and Miguel to quote Kevin, so that's progress.

As (almost) always, not enough Beth.

On 2/13/2017 at 9:46 AM, tv echo said:

Psych aired first and then The Mentalist debuted two years later. I remember the Psych cast joked about it and even included a Mentalist reference in one of their episodes. Although the premise (fake psychic) was the same, Psych was more of a comedy, while Mentalist was a drama.

Thanks for the confirmation I thought Psych premired before Mentalist and i remember them poking fun at the show 

• Love 1

Stuart McLean, writer and radio host of the Vinyl Cafe has died.   He was only 68, which seems far too young to me.  He was like a Canadian counterpart of Garrison Keillor, with stories about Dave, owner of the world's smallest record store, and his wife Morley.   His stories have such a gentle, intelligent humour, mostly at the expense of Dave who was all of us as Everyman. I'm really going to miss him, he was my Sunday afternoon go-to for 20 years.  I taught my daughter to clean her room listening to him.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

Lethal Weapon was hilarious and amazing tonight, and 1000x better than this show.

Haha isn't that the case every week?

You've got me all excited now!!!! It's really good normally but if you're raving it must be extra good this week!

On another note I've decided to be zen about Arrow now. Still hoping for Olicity but other than that I will accept crappy storylines and perve on Felicity because I think it's futile to demand (or hope for) better.  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Haha isn't that the case every week?

You've got me all excited now!!!! It's really good normally but if you're raving it must be extra good this week!

Tonight's episode was odd and surreal and absolutely hilarious. Top 3 of the season, and almost definitely #1 funniest of the season.

• Love 1

Watched "Doubt" out of loyalty to Dule Hill. But that show was laughably bad. And I couldn't figure out whether it was supposed to be a comedy, drama or dramedy. The casting is good, minus Katherine Heigl - but the premise is like if you took a Hallmark movie and combined it with a bad rip off of the worst courtroom drama. Really hope it improves or Dule finds a better project.

10 hours ago, AyChihuahua said:

Tonight's episode was odd and surreal and absolutely hilarious. Top 3 of the season, and almost definitely #1 funniest of the season.

Ok don't say anything about this week's ep because I'm watching it tomorrow but I just caught up on last week's ep and that was pretty awesome!

However I am really upset that they blew up Doc's house though! It was a REALLY nice house! Like I know its LW and they blow stuff up but the house was so pretty and they trashed it! 

I watched Riverdale, or as I like to call it, The Betty and Veronica show.  I like Veronica, but Betty is working out to be really interesting.  The dudes continue to be drips.  My big takeaway from tonight's episode is that Skeet Ulrich is now hot like burning.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I watched Riverdale, or as I like to call it, The Betty and Veronica show.  I like Veronica, but Betty is working out to be really interesting.  The dudes continue to be drips.  My big takeaway from tonight's episode is that Skeet Ulrich is now hot like burning.

I've been surprised by Betty in the last couple episodes. You are right, she's really become interesting.  They've given her a steel backbone all of a sudden and I'm a sucker for a blond teenage girl doing investigating and or heading up her school newspaper.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

No idea I've stopped watching this season because I can't seem to handle serial killers in my old age (well I handled it better in my 20s) but it sounds like a big arc where he's the central focus and the team are all working to save him. It sounds good in the interviews! I might watch it again because I'm a bit of a Reid fan and think MGG is a cutie. 

2 hours ago, arjumand said:

Lol Criminal Minds. Oh, that show. The fandom is even better - 90% stories of how Spencer Reid is the awesomest awesome who ever awesomed. A large percentage of those are Spencer Reid / Reader. Oh yes. So when I came along with my Garcia/Alvez, I was met with a resounding silence. Though it's getting a bit of traction now.

How does a Reid/Reader even work??? 

Is Garcia/Alvez an actual thing that might happen in show or is it a Garcia - Morgan thing where they were just super good friends?

You're making me kinda miss it! I should start watching again. Was bummed Hotch left. 

EEOC: Major Studios Failed To Hire Female Directors; Lawsuit Looms
David Robb   February 15, 2017 
http://deadline.com/2017/02/hollywood-studios-female-directors-eeoc-investigation-1201912590

EXCLUSIVE: The EEOC is in settlement talks with the major studios to resolve charges that they systemically discriminated against female directors. “Every one of the major studios has received a charge contending that they failed to hire women directors,” a knowledgeable source told Deadline.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission began investigating allegations of Hollywood’s discriminatory hiring practices against female directors in October 2015, but the investigation is over and has moved into the settlement phase. “The EEOC is attempting to resolve the charges but, if unable to, may file a lawsuit,” the source said.
As we reported Monday, the Directors Guild tried to get the studios to embrace a program similar to the NFL’s “Rooney Rule,” which was meant to encourage teams to consider candidates of color for top coaching positions.

During the DGA’s contract negotiations in December, the guild pressed the producers to adopt a similar rule that would have required producers to interview female and minority candidates as part of the hiring process for directing jobs. The companies, however, declined to discuss the proposal “for legal reasons.” Deadline has now confirmed that the “legal reasons” involved their settlement talks with the EEOC.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Here's hoping it works out for female and minority directors. Also hoping nobody is stupid enough to pull out the "they want to be at home with their children" line to defend their sexist hiring practices, or at least the PR teams step into to mitigate the stupidity of the companies from spreading.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is The 100 as stupid as Arrow?

Hubby is addicted and I have been teasing him because the trailer looks so stupid but then I watch Arrow (he's given up on Arrow) so now I'm feeling like the whole Pot and Kettle thing. 

Is it as stupid as Arrow?  Probably.  But they bathe less.  Season 2 of the 100 was really strong.  I mean I recommended the show to everyone, but while I'm still recording it, I still only managed to watch half of last season before I lost interest.  Maybe I'll get on a kick and catch up but I'm still watching Arrow.  If I lost those saved episodes of The 100, and never saw them, oh well.  

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Is it as stupid as Arrow?  Probably.  But they bathe less.  Season 2 of the 100 was really strong.  I mean I recommended the show to everyone, but while I'm still recording it, I still only managed to watch half of last season before I lost interest.  Maybe I'll get on a kick and catch up but I'm still watching Arrow.  If I lost those saved episodes of The 100, and never saw them, oh well.  

bahahaha I said to hubby "They all look so grubby!!! Can't you find a CW show with clean people running around if you insist on watching one?"

• Love 3
On 2/20/2017 at 5:59 AM, Mellowyellow said:

Is The 100 as stupid as Arrow?

Hubby is addicted and I have been teasing him because the trailer looks so stupid but then I watch Arrow (he's given up on Arrow) so now I'm feeling like the whole Pot and Kettle thing. 

There are parts of The 100 that I like, but I sometimes feel like it would be a better show to binge watch? I think it's because that's how I first started watching it - checked out the first 6 or so episodes one weekend. It's not something I'd ever make a priority to watch live, but it can be entertaining at times. 

It's definitely a well written show,  for the first few seasons.  But the writers are definitely more stupid than the Arrow staff,  which is hard to do.  Binge watching it makes it a very compelling dystopian story. 

Has anyone checked out Powerless,  I just caught up with it on hulu and I like it okay but did they completely change the plot before broadcasting?

25 minutes ago, bijoux said:

The new promo is lame. 

The promo, yes. The actual show isn't that bad. I thought the latest episode was pretty funny at parts.

Then again, it's not really the show so much as the cast.

Edited by way2interested

Damn This is Us!! Had me in tears for over an hour!! Seriously a heartwarming & heartbreaking episode all in one. I knew it was going to happen... I knew it was coming. I thought I had prepared myself,  clearly I was wrong!! Gotta be prepared better next time.

And those gosh darn Ducks!! At least I could smile at that through the tears.

1 hour ago, kismet said:

Damn This is Us!! Had me in tears for over an hour!! Seriously a heartwarming & heartbreaking episode all in one. I knew it was going to happen... I knew it was coming. I thought I had prepared myself,  clearly I was wrong!! Gotta be prepared better next time.

And those gosh darn Ducks!! At least I could smile at that through the tears.

I assume 

Spoiler

both of Randall's dads die in this one? I have to say I expected it as soon as I saw Randall and William going on a roadtrip in the promo.