Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

As an American, I will do my best to make sure Trump is not elected.

I live in a state where too many things are put up for referendum. I mean to me what is the point of voting for your representative if you don't trust they will represent you or act in the interests you hope they do. Maybe I'm just a polyanna but I do think most elected officials are acting on behalf of their constituents but sometimes constituents are well....stupid. We don't always know the nuances of things and sometimes we are manipulated.

This reminds me a bit of  how Schwarzenegger became governor of California.  He was brought in under a recall election which I hated because I was like you know what, if you want your candidate then you have to wait for the election cycle.  The  CA economy was a mess in by 2003 but all due to the dot com bubble bursting and especially the manipulation of the energy market by Enron in 2001 which was only able to be manipulated because of the partial deregulation of energy in 1998. There were budget impasses in 2002 and then in 2003, Davis started making tough cuts and raising fee three fold for vehicle registration, which became a pivot point for the recall. And then everyone and their brother and sister and 3rd cousin ran. It was nuts.

Anyway...I digress.

Maybe someone from the UK can help me understand how it ever got to a referendum in the first place? 

Was this Cameron playing chicken?

• Love 1
  • Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)
15 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Maybe someone from the UK can help me understand how it ever got to a referendum in the first place? 

Was this Cameron playing chicken?

Cameron pledged we could have a referendum if the Conservatives were re-elected. It was a way for him to win the election and ironically has led to him having to now resign.

Also number 2 is severely depressing.

IMG_20160624_184018.jpg

Edited by theacostov
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I work in the finance industry in London... And I have to say, today was an (for a lack of a better term) interesting day of work. 

Ugh. @Chaser I think I'm going to join you and move to NZ too :) Maybe Queenstown? 

Looked it up and I'm sold.

Drinks? lol

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, theacostov said:

Cameron pledged we could have a referendum if the Conservatives were re-elected. It was a way for him to win the election and ironically has led to him having to now resign.

Also number 2 is severely depressing.

IMG_20160624_184018.jpg

FOX News, in its infinite wisdom, was announcing that the UK is leaving the UN, so it can be worse:

• Love 3
1 minute ago, calliope1975 said:

As an American, I may need to join you come November. I am short and don't take up a lot of room. 

I am short as well. and theoretically I can secure my passport by November. 

• Love 1

We have friends who are moving back to the UK next week, after many years living and working in the US and they are alarmed, to say the least. As are our other friends who still live in the UK. I like the idea of living in Australia. I got engaged there, on the Great Ocean Road, so I have good memories, and friends who still live there. Plus, we live with the bats, which my youngest child is obsessed with, so that would be nice. 

I have vacationed in NZ and I will say it is a beautiful country. And the people are so welcoming. If my family was not in America, I would moving to Australia & New Zealand in a heartbeat. The plane ride is just a little too far for frequent visits :(

• Love 1

If Trump goes down, my mother is already talking about Canada. My grandmother was Canadian, and my uncle and two aunts still have duel citizenship, with my uncle living in Montreal. It may not have the amazing terrain and views that NZ and Australia have, but it would be worth it for the Prime Minister alone. 

• Love 3

I've been rewatching Chuck, and I really miss that show.  I like Arrow, Supernatural, The Flash, Agent Carter, Supergirl, and Agents of SHIELD (to name some), but I don't like any of them as much as I loved that show.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Chaser said:

So....Rozwell spin off with Michael and Maria on Netflix? It this what they are trying to do?

I need it to happen. 

What?!!!? Really? I want.

• Love 1
(edited)

From what I'm understanding the actors are launching a campaign for "BandT" on Netflix. It's on their Twitter pages and they have a Facebook page, but I can't find much detail on the project. 

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 1

Okay so I found a link that has more info. BaronandToluca.com. It's not a spin off and they aren't reprising their roles. It looks more Roswell inspired. They play Baron and Toluca, two characters with a history. It takes place in New Mexico. It's a paranormal mystery.

• Love 2
(edited)

Potentially unpopular opinion; Isabel and Tess were my favourite characters on Roswell. I got into the show, I think, around 2005 or 2006 mostly because I was a fan of WB shows and loved Heigl on Grey's. Isabel's untouchable ice queen vibe really worked for me and Tess delayed Max/Liz who bugged me as a couple, even though I quite liked Liz individually. It's been so long but I probably shipped Isabel with both Alex and Kyle...

Edited by manbearpig

Never seen Roswell. Sounds like a show that mostly works for those who saw it back in the day, tbh. I read about it and it sounds horribly melodramatic. Also that dude from Revenge whom I hated was on it.

2 minutes ago, manbearpig said:

Potentially unpopular opinion; Isabel and Tess were my favourite characters on Roswell. I got into the show, I think, around 2005 or 2006 mostly because I was a fan of WB shows and loved Heigl on Grey's. Isabel's untouchable ice queen vibe really worked for me and Tess delayed Max/Liz who bugged me as a couple, even though I quite liked Liz individually. It's been so long but I probably shipped Isabel with both Alex and Kyle...

Ugh. Tess.

But I liked Isabel for the most part so I will join you there in unpopular opinion land.

Michael and Maria were my favorite tho. 

I liked pretty much all the characters, but M&M were my favorite. Max was probably the least favorite.

9 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Okay so I found a link that has more info. BaronandToluca.com. It's not a spin off and they aren't reprising their roles. It looks more Roswell inspired. They play Baron and Toluca, two characters with a history. It takes place in New Mexico. It's a paranormal mystery.

Huh...:/ I deluded myself when I saw the rock in the background :(

• Love 1

Count me in among those interested in check this out. Michael and Maria were a lot more interesting and had a lot more chemistry, IMO, than Max and Liz. They, along with evil Max, were my favorite characters (never really warmed up to Liz or Isabel; loathed Tess, meh on Kyle. I did like Colin Hanks' character) and, boy, can Brendan Fehr do brooding loner. I can't remember the episode anymore but that scene where Michael was standing in the rain outside Maria's window, and then she let him in? Whew! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Count me in among those interested in check this out. Michael and Maria were a lot more interesting and had a lot more chemistry, IMO, than Max and Liz. They, along with evil Max, were my favorite characters (never really warmed up to Liz or Isabel; loathed Tess, meh on Kyle. I did like Colin Hanks' character) and, boy, can Brendan Fehr do brooding loner. I can't remember the episode anymore but that scene where Michael was standing in the rain outside Maria's window, and then she let him in? Whew! 

Oh yeah, that was the S1 episode where Hank hit Michael.  That was some good stuff, really enjoyed S1-2.  S3 was a disappointment but, there was ao much going on BTS i just lind of overlook it.

I loved M&M & Roswell  so much I even tracked down the book series, which was hard to find, back then. But I have to give major props to Sherri Appleby because she is one of the few Actors that I can watch and like in another role even though I couldn't stand her first introduction to me in the role of Liz. (In hindsight it was probably Max that caused it) I can't say the same for so many other Actors who I can't watch anymore because I disliked them so much

• Jason Behr
  • Kristen Kreuk
  • Kate Cassidy
  • Leah Pipps
  • Kevin Mckidd
  • Damian Lewis
  • Eliza Dushku
(edited)

Got hooked on a little SyFy channel show called Wynonna Earp. It's pretty much trash, but very entertaining. For those of you who have similar interests to me (I reckon there are a few), it may push your buttons as well: badass female lead (and other female characters being proactive and useful), supernatural shenanigans (family curse connected to Wynonna's famous ancestor Wyatt, revenants, witches, magic...), lots of snark and humor (often dumb, but it totally works), hot guys (and girls), female friendship (the relationship between Wynonna and her sister is very important) and even a lesbian who doesn't die. The female lead is pretty much a bit less traumatized Jessica Jones with Abby Mills' backstory, and she kicks ass. She is helped by Doc Holliday (yes, he's still alive), a dude from some supernatural-investigating agency (think Initiative from Buffy) and her younger sister (who's a non-nerdy and pre-witch version of Willow). She's Wyatt Earp's heir and due to the family curse must kill revenants - redneck-style zombies who were once killed by Wyatt and periodically resurrect. Their leader looks like a Mad Max villain (and acts like it), but it's fun. There's a bit of villain of the week,  but it's mostly serialized. It's not a masterpiece by far, but it doesn't take itself seriously and is pretty much a perfect summer show. Think Buffy s1 meets early Supernatural meets Evil Dead.

Totally recommend it.

Edited by FurryFury
23 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Haha, not really anything I didn't know, but I have a fancy shindig to attend in a few weeks, and I'm thinking a very structured bun, and they have tons of good ideas.

...One day we'll stop talking about hair. :)

Today is not that day. :) I'm bringing this here so as not to lead Social Media off topic. Could you share a few of those links?

Have you tried naturallycurly.com? I've been reading them for AGES, even through my super straight hair phases. They have a ton of hairstyles ideas. I used to have Type 3 curly hair [3A here], but as I got older, especially after I hit 35, I started losing curl, and now I have Type 2 wavy hair [something between 2A and 2B, it literally depends on the weather], but I can get away with straight hairstyles by blow drying it first.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Have you tried naturallycurly.com? I've been reading them for AGES, even through my super straight hair phases. They have a ton of hairstyles ideas. I used to have Type 3 curly hair [3A here], but as I got older, especially after I hit 35, I started losing curl, and now I have Type 2 wavy hair [something between 2A and 2B, it literally depends on the weather], but I can get away with straight hairstyles by blow drying it first.

No, I'd never heard of it before. Thank you! I'm a 3A, apparently. Never knew that. I am off to explore their hairstyles! :D

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, looptab said:

Actually not the new episodes, but the first 7 seasons :)

(Thought they were available already..or was it on Hulu?)

I thought they were too,  they are in America.   I dunno,  this is why I shouldn't trust anyone on my Facebook feed this early in the morning. 

I've actually been rewatching my Gilmore Girls DVDs and just finished season six a month or two ago. This works out pretty well for me since I've only seen random eps of season seven in reruns. I feel like every time I tune into see an episode it's always the one that has the town smelling like pickles.