Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Came across this on Facebook. I totally forgot that Justin Hartley had landed a new pilot and it got picked up. Not exactly my type of show but i hope it does well for him.  The video cracked me up because  JH has at least one shirtless scene in the promo...The Smallville fandom used to joke that WB/CW wrote it into his contract that he had to be shirtless at least once per episode. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Oh, the finale that emotionally compromised me last night? Supernatural. It made sense given what the show is primarily about. Not gonna say more so as not to spoil people :)

I know, Dean made fun of Rowena.  That was a complete douche move, I don't care if she wasn't around, that was a douche move.  She is the leader of the Mega Coven, and after what just happened, a little compassion should have been shown.

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 3:16 PM, SonofaBiscuit said:

I wonder why it's suddenly popular?  It came out like a year ago, I think.  Weird.

With Outlander, I thought the first half of season one was kind of interesting.  I hated the last two episodes of the first season, and I had to fast-forward through nearly all of the season one finale (it was a sadistic fucking nightmare).  I'm currently six episodes behind and don't know if I'll ever bother catching up.   

Doesn't pretty much every character, including the main guy, get raped and gang-raped and raped again and then later, just for a plot change, raped?

So, on the Johnny Depp thing...at the risk of making everyone crazy with my utter lawyer-ness, for all those saying there is no evidence he hit her (not here, just in general)...TESTIMONY IS EVIDENCE. That's one of my biggest pet peeves...oh, there's no evidence of blah blah. The fucking witness's testimony is ABSOLUTELY evidence. You can choose not to believe that evidence, but that doesn't change its fundamental character. (She also submitted photos of her face afterwards, which is PHYSICAL EVIDENCE.) Believe she's lying, fine, but (1) don't say there is no evidence, bc that is factually incorrect; (2) don't say it doesn't matter either way bc she's a gold-digging whore, bc guess what, even if she is, she still shouldn't be hit; and (3) the TRO was granted, so that means the judge found sufficient EVIDENCE (at this fairly early stage) to grant it.

Man, people who've watched a few episodes of Law & Order suddenly thinking they're lawyers drive me CRAZY. I watched E.R. for years, and I don't try to practice medicine, for goodness sake.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, AyChihuahua said:

Doesn't pretty much every character, including the main guy, get raped and gang-raped and raped again and then later, just for a plot change, raped?

So, on the Johnny Depp thing...at the risk of making everyone crazy with my utter lawyer-ness, for all those saying there is no evidence he hit her (not here, just in general)...TESTIMONY IS EVIDENCE. That's one of my biggest pet peeves...oh, there's no evidence of blah blah. The fucking witness's testimony is ABSOLUTELY evidence. You can choose not to believe that evidence, but that doesn't change its fundamental character. (She also submitted photos of her face afterwards, which is PHYSICAL EVIDENCE.) Believe she's lying, fine, but (1) don't say there is no evidence, bc that is factually incorrect; (2) don't say it doesn't matter either way bc she's a gold-digging whore, bc guess what, even if she is, she still shouldn't be hit; and (3) the TRO was granted, so that means the judge found sufficient EVIDENCE (at this fairly early stage) to grant it.

Man, people who've watched a few episodes of Law & Order suddenly thinking they're lawyers drive me CRAZY. I watched E.R. for years, and I don't try to practice medicine, for goodness sake.

Yes, Outlander both the TV series and the books use rape like MG uses gotcha moments.  I blame the author whom I posted once before was downright giddy in one of the TV show panels about being able to see the male lead's prison rape scenes.  Blech.

Re:  Johnny Depp, I do wish people would take a breath to at least wait for the facts to be established as facts.  If he did hit her then I say throw the book at him because that shit is vile, but at this point everyone is immediately jumping into the guilty/not guilty camps based on a TMZ photo.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, NumberCruncher said:

Re:  Johnny Depp, I do wish people would take a breath to at least wait for the facts to be established as facts.  If he did hit her then I say throw the book at him because that shit is vile, but at this point everyone is immediately jumping into the guilty/not guilty camps based on a TMZ photo.

That's the thing, it's not based on a TMZ photo. It's based on a sworn declaration, which is made under the penalty of perjury, and photos submitted to the court. As EVIDENCE. The judge granted the TRO. Judges don't grant TROs for TMZ photos. That's absolutely not how the legal system works. She could be lying, of course, and faking injuries, but that's not a TMZ photo.

Edited by AyChihuahua
27 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

That's the thing, it's not based on a TMZ photo. It's based on a sworn declaration, which is made under the penalty of perjury, and photos submitted to the court. As EVIDENCE. The judge granted the TRO. Judges don't grant TROs for TMZ photos. That's absolutely not how the legal system works. She could be lying, of course, and faking injuries, but that's not a TMZ photo.

I was talking about the social media reaction to the TMZ photo, not the legal proceedings.

(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 10:44 PM, EmeraldArcher said:

Dutch Pancakes?!  I'm intrigued.  I've never heard of them, but you have me convinced that I need to track down the recipe--unless you want to share via post or PM?

Dutch Pancakes are also know a Dutch Baby (which weirds me out) or  pannekoekens.  They are these kind of neutral tasting things (think popover flavor but more dense/creamy dough) that rise really high and then fall really fast (there was a restaurant called the Pannekoeken Huis that literally had the wait staff RUN the things out from the kitchen, lol) What for me makes them yummy is the fruit you can add so it's like a treat but not unbearably sweet though I like them plain as well. This is my recipe but I've attached the link from where I got it originally from which I read all the comments and then tweaked it accordingly.

I always use a 9x13 glass pan instead of a cast iron pan (the linked recipe amount is for an 8x8 or 9x9 which I just sort of doubled)

Oven at 400 (make sure it is hot when mixture is put in it)

• 6 eggs (best if room temperature - I warmed them up briefly in hot tap water [in shell]- it helps with the rising I'm told but I've skipped that step before and it was fine)
  • 1 cup of milk (I also warm briefly in microwave so it's not super cold)
  • 1 1/3 cup of flour
  • pinch or two of salt
  • teaspoon of vanilla
  • tablespoon of  plain sugar (the vanilla and sugar are optional)
  • stick of butter (8 tablespoons)
  • Fruit -I go between blueberries or apples winging the amounts (usually enough to mostly coat the bottom) I sometimes do strawberries but those you strictly cut up and put on top AFTER it's cooked.  

The butter goes directly into the glass pan and into the oven ahead of time to melt.  I also add whatever fruit I want to include with it right away as well.  (Apples (sliced or diced) take almost an hour to soften, I usually coat them in cinnamon as well- sometimes I cook them ahead of time on the stove)  Blueberries are much simpler and pretty much ready to go by the time the butter is melted.  I totally use more butter than needed but I like butter and it's a treat so if you really care, you can cut it in half if you aren't using fruit during the cooking or are just using the blueberries. Make sure butter is totally melted (mine is usually bubbling) and coating the bottom of the pan and the oven it up completely up to temperature.

Like you would for pancakes, mix together the eggs, milk, flour, and salt (and vanilla and sugar if you want them- other people do nutmeg or cinnamon sometimes)  Pour mixture slowly into hot pan (on top of butter and fruit mixture- if you pour too fast the fruit gets pushed to the sides too much).  Cook for 30-40 minutes.  DO NOT OPEN OVEN UNTIL READY TO TAKE OUT.  I usually walk away for a half hour and then start checking on it.  I know it's done when it's golden to very brown on the edges, firm yellow in the center and has risen at least as high as the edges (usually higher).  It tastes the same whether it rises or not but it's fun see it rise.   

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/23898/dutch-babies-ii/?lnkid=usstwt via @Allrecipes (the recipe I based mine on after reading comments and tweaking accordingly - I added some eggs, lowered the temp,  got rid of nutmeg - that kind of thing)  Oh and FYI, the picture it shows doesn't look like it at all.  This is a better one though it's clearly after it's fallen.

5wMOnW4.jpg

I swear they are really easy to make. I barely cook anything. 

12 hours ago, AyChihuahua said:

It's interesting, I recently watched a few news magazine shows following crimes committed and in all of them the officials putting their case together casually commented that these days juries demand physical evidence whereas before they could convict on a combination of testimony and circumstantial evidence.  The implication was that people that were guilty now are getting away with stuff that they would be prosecuted and convicted for twenty years ago because of the public thinking they know how the law and trials and cases and evidence should go.   

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

@BkWurm1, THANK YOU, Thank You, thank you!!  Wow!  I really appreciate the time you spent providing the recipe and your notes!  I'm going to make one today in your honor! Is that a picture of you or of someone in your life?  It's a fun angle and cute photo.

@AyChihuahua, I LOVE it when you bring the lawyer-ness to clarify real-life or in-show legal issues.  I don't watch legal dramas and hadn't really thought about testimony as evidence, but it make complete sense.  It's part of the official record, and due to the threat of perjury, testimonial evidence has to be treated as truthful and official.  If the system allowed doubt as to whether testimonial evidence had less weight than other sources of evidence, then the legal system would pretty much destabilize, right?

I find the whole construction of "If she's telling the truth, then. . . . " horrific.  Why must we qualify our support for a victim?  It's always the same when famous, revered, and (especially) handsome men are accused of physical or sexual assault--support for the victim, if given at all, is always framed with the qualification, "If."  And the qualification is always inspired by desire to protect the perpetrator's idol status than by a victim's history of perjury or fraud.  I've haven't heard or read any comments of people withholding belief from Amber Heard pointing to a history of lying or making false accusations. Instead, they use their doubts about her motives for marrying him in the first place--calling her a gold-digger or thirsty--to deflect consideration of his guilt to blaming her for irrelevant factors.

I know the hard way that going public with accusations of abuse is almost as traumatic as the abuse itself and that false reports of abuse are actually lower than false reports of other crimes. Anyone who's been through it can't imagine that any sane person would use it as a tactic to get leverage--it's too devastating.

• Love 3
(edited)

Sense8 is really slow in the first few episodes. Once I got through it, I realized it was necessary for the character building. After that seeing all the characters interact is what made the show. It is a sci-fi -ish drama, about 8 characters that were born on the same day at the same time. Which made them connected to each other mentally and emotionally. They could actually sense each other, communicate and become each other without ever physically leaving the country they are in, yet they can still touch and experience everything on the other side of the world.

The locations are also amazing, it takes place and was actually shot in 7 different countries, Iceland, India, Africa, Korea, USA (Chicago and San Francisco), Germany and Mexico. It stars a multinational ensemble cast and probably has one of the best representations of a LGBT relationship played by transgender actress Jamie Clayton and Freema Agyeman. The gay couple was also played very well. I loved it, I know a lot of people couldn't get into it. It's very character driven more than plot driven. Which is why I liked it. I like seeing characters interact with each other, learn and grow from having known one another. It's a show that deals with gender identity, politics, race, religion and culture. 

I should say it's on Netflix and they are able to get away with things other channels are not.

there's a scene with a rainbow dildo and an orgy involving almost all the characters.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, looptab said:

Does anyone here watch Sense 8? Would you recommend it?

I'm looking for a series to binge, so I'm asking for suggestions :) Drama or comedy, it's the same :)

Emily's recent friendship with Jon Luc <insert french surname> got me on a Baby Daddy binge on Netflix.   It's not perfect but it's pretty funny.   I've also been watching the Real O'neals,  the whole first season is on Hulu and it's probably my favourite comedy right now.   The cast and their amazing chemistry makes up for some of the writing issues and as an Arrow fan,  I feel like you could appreciate that. 

• Love 1

@BkWurm1, THANK YOU, Thank You, thank you!!  Wow!  I really appreciate the time you spent providing the recipe and your notes!  I'm going to make one today in your honor! Is that a picture of you or of someone in your life?  It's a fun angle and cute photo.

Lol, no, he's a mystery man, but conveyed the right amount of wonder.  I lifted him off of Google images.  I think I'll call him Nigel. That glasses kind of make look like a Nigel. 

-Random comment. 

Just read the first Harry Potter book.  It was a lot shorter than I expected and a lot more true to the movie than I expected.  I could have sworn people complained how much the movies deviated but maybe that was just later. 

Other unconnected comment, catching up on the back half of this season's AoS.  I don't know what it is but while it's entertaining enough, I care even less about them than anyone even on The Flash.  One of them is GOING TO DIE!!! and I really don't care who. I have a few I'd rather it wasn't but if it was, eh, no big.  I wonder if my lack of caring is because only a handful of the characters have individual personalities.  May, Fitz, Simmons, and Colson to a degree but everyone else is only a variation of the same character who really doesn't exist outside of their job. 

Nigel really fits! I wonder what ole Nigel would think of being dubbed a mystery man . . . 

Dutch Pancake: Nigel, I think I'm falling for you.  ;-)

It's funny you should mention Harry Potter.  My son is the best man at his friends' wedding tonight--and the decor is "tasteful Harry Potter."  They're even holding it a local castle.  My son has known the bride and groom since kindergarten, and the couple has been together since 7th grade and are now in their mid-20s.  The young man proposed by presenting his girlfriend with a special edition HP book with a "Will you marry me?" note stuck inside.  My son incorporated a Dumbledore quote into his best man's speech.  It's all really cute.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, EmeraldArcher said:

Nigel really fits! I wonder what ole Nigel would think of being dubbed a mystery man . . . 

Dutch Pancake: Nigel, I think I'm falling for you.  ;-)

It's funny you should mention Harry Potter.  My son is the best man at his friends' wedding tonight--and the decor is "tasteful Harry Potter."  They're even holding it a local castle.  My son has known the bride and groom since kindergarten, and the couple has been together since 7th grade and are now in their mid-20s.  The young man proposed by presenting his girlfriend with a special edition HP book with a "Will you marry me?" note stuck inside.  My son incorporated a Dumbledore quote into his best man's speech.  It's all really cute.

I'm in my mid twenties (late twenties,  shut up) and that sounds fucking awesome and I want that to happen to me.   So bad.   I want pictures of that wedding so bad so I can plan my own. 

35 minutes ago, looptab said:

Thank you for your suggestions, @Sakura12 and @Delphi :) 

No prob,  happy watching!

• Love 1

I recently got into Game of Thrones. I've had an interest in watching it and bought the first season for only 15 bucks at Wal-Mart. I was hooked almost immediately and bought Season 2 for the same price. I'm on episode 4 of the second season. I HATE That little piece of shit Joffery, LOVE Arya, Tyrion, Jon Snow, Sam, and Daenerys what a Gorgeous amazing badass Queen she is.

42 minutes ago, Delphi said:

I'm in my mid twenties (late twenties,  shut up) and that sounds fucking awesome and I want that to happen to me.   So bad.   I want pictures of that wedding so bad so I can plan my own. 

I'll see what I can do!  I can at least PM some pictures of the decorations if they don't mind!

When the HP books came out, my son and I would buy a copy, but just one because hardback books are expensive.  We lived in the middle of nowhere, so we'd buy the books at our local grocery store when they came out--the nearest book store was at least an hour away!  He'd take the day shift and read all day, and then I would take the night shift and read all night while he was in bed. It was freaking torture hearing his gasps as he read and begging him not to spoil it before I had my turn. We bonded over reading those books, and my daughter and I bonded over watching the movies (she's never been as much a reader as my son).

Are you and your guy engaged?

(edited)
11 hours ago, looptab said:

Does anyone here watch Sense 8? Would you recommend it?

I'm looking for a series to binge, so I'm asking for suggestions :) Drama or comedy, it's the same :)

Yep, saw Sense 8 when it first came out and loved it. It might take a few eps to warm up to it but stick with it. Payoff is pretty good. 

18 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

For those of you that watched Daredevil S2.

I'm on episode 2 and I need reassurance that 

Reveal hidden contents

the dog doesn't get hurt/die. I cannot deal with animal cruelty even in fiction

Spoiler

As I recall, the dog is never heard from again after it's taken away from the room by the Irish guys. Since it wasn't in the room when the melee started I prefer to think the dog got away. Its fate is not clear.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva

I did the Walking Dead Experience at Walker Stalker con. It was awesome, a really immersive and interactive "haunted house" experience. It's short but it I got into it and it almost felt like we were in a zombie Apocalypse. Obviously I knew it was all sets, however my heart was pumping, my adrenaline was up, my group was yelling at each other to hurry up when we stuck trying to open doors. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I find this infuriating, but I'm not surprised at the Michael Bay comments...

Kate Beckinsale told to slim down
May 28, 2016
http://www.thespec.com/whatson-story/6696176-kate-beckinsale-told-to-slim-down/

Kate Beckinsale was told she'd have to "work out" to secure a part in 'Pearl Harbor'.

The 42-year-old actress was advised by the film's director Michael Bay that she needed to lose weight to star as Nurse Lt. Evelyn Johnson in the 2001 drama.

She said: "I don't think I fitted the type of actress Michael Bay, the director, had met before. I think he was baffled by me because my boobs weren't bigger than my head and I wasn't blonde.

"I'd just had my daughter and had lost weight but was told that if I got the part I'd have to work out, and I just didn't understand why a 1940s nurse would do that."

And the 'Love & Friendship' star also recalled some of the harsh comments made by Michael during promotion for the film.

Speaking on The Graham Norton Show, she shared: "When we were promoting the film, Michael was asked why he had chosen Ben [Affleck] and Josh [Hartnett]. He said, 'I have worked with Ben before and I love him, and Josh is so manly and a wonderful actor.'

"And then when he was asked about me, he'd say, 'Kate wasn't so attractive that she would alienate the female audience.' He kept saying it everywhere we went and we went to a lot of places."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

The irony, of course, being that women back in the '40s were considered to be more attractive if they were curvier and not the stick figures Hollywood expects them to be now.  I'm not body shaming thin women, BTW, just pointing out that Michael Bay definitely wasn't going for realism.  What a gross thing for him to say though--Kate Beckinsale is a beautiful woman.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

The irony, of course, being that women back in the '40s were considered to be more attractive if they were curvier and not the stick figures Hollywood expects them to be now.  I'm not body shaming thin women, BTW, just pointing out that Michael Bay definitely wasn't going for realism.  What a gross thing for him to say though--Kate Beckinsale is a beautiful woman.

Here's the thing, while the ideal beautiful woman keeps changing, it's still all about looks. It doesn't matter if she is smart, talented or accomplished. Is she still fuckable? Look at Madonna. Look what she has done to her face and the ridiculous things she wears. She isn't worried about her music remaining relevant but is she still sexually attractive. I can't remember the actor who was talking about how beautiful and sexy Helen Mirren was at 70. Something along the lines of how he would still fuck her even though she's old. Like that was her true talent. There are still way too many Kardashians as role models whether they're curvy or thin. Not many selfies out there showing off your brain instead of your ass. 

Edit to say; I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to be pretty or sexually attractive. But it's pretty sad when your entire sense of self-worth is about how many likes your boob shot got on social media. 

Edited by Sasha
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

May 28, 2016

I'm so glad I never watched any movie of his (caught some part of Bad Boys and The Rock on TV but I couldn't even watch the whole thing). Now I will make my life mission to avoid them.

He isn't alone though. I remember the controversy (pre-internet mostly?) about the women pressured to lose weight on David E.Kelley shows, and particularly Ally McBeal. IIRC, Courtney Thorne-Smith was quite vocal about it. I've always hated this guy's shows and I think I know why.

6 hours ago, tv echo said:

May 28, 2016

Yeah, when I read that it had me scratching my head.  Kate Beckinsale is one of the most beautiful women ever, hell, if you told me she was a goddess descended down from the heavens, I'd believe you without a second of hesitation.

(edited)

Aww!  Blast from the past.  Apparently the Monkees just made a new album "Good Times" and it's getting good reviews.  I'm going to have to get it.  I watched the reruns of their show during my childhood in the late eighties and had a friend that was obsessed with their music, lol.  I guess the love for them rubbed off.  :) 

Link to a very nice review.  http://ultimateclassicrock.com/monkees-good-times/?trackback=twitter_top_flat_3 

The fact that there is a new Monkees album in 2016 is miraculous enough, but that said album, Good Times!, is nothing short of a masterpiece is astounding.

Good Times! is certainly the best Monkees LP since their ’60s heyday, but it also stands firmly on its own as one hell of an album circa 2016. To be honest, you’d be hard-pressed to find another act from the same era who has made an album this good in recent memory, and that includes any of the heavyweights still alive and kicking out there.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
On 28.05.2016. at 11:14 PM, Delphi said:

No prob,  happy watching!

I don't know if it's the wedding @EmeraldArcher's went to, but this one has been making rounds on social media.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/chelseypippin/unbreakable-vow?utm_term=.kf27Ljn4#.qmqgVkd6

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Aww!  Blast from the past.  Apparently the Monkees just made a new album "Good Times" and it's getting good reviews.  I'm going to have to get it.  I watched the reruns of their show during my childhood in the late eighties and had a friend that was obsessed with their music, lol.  I guess the love for them rubbed off.  :) 

Link to a very nice review.  http://ultimateclassicrock.com/monkees-good-times/?trackback=twitter_top_flat_3 

ooh, i might have to get it.

• Love 1
(edited)

To prove that Kate Beckinsale wasn't making up the Michael Bay comments, here's one of his 2001 interviews in connection with promoting Pearl Harbor.  I don't know which comment I find more offensive - that Kate Beckinsale and Kate Winslet aren't very beautiful, or that he believes that women are "disturbed" by beautiful women...

Michael Bay: Bay Watch
BY: MOVIELINE STAFF || MAY 1, 2001 08:29 PM EDT
http://movieline.com/2001/05/01/michael-bay-bay-watch/

Q: What made you choose Kate Beckinsale?
A
: I didn't want someone who was too beautiful. Women feel disturbed when they see someone's too pretty. I'm not saying Kate's not pretty. When you look at Titanic, Kate Winslet is pretty, but not overwhelmingly beautiful. That makes it work better for women. Our Kate is very funny, could hang with the guys. She's not so neurotic about everything, like some actresses. She was solid, and I think the three of them had some really nice chemistry.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, bijoux said:

I don't know if it's the wedding @EmeraldArcher's went to, but this one has been making rounds on social media.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/chelseypippin/unbreakable-vow?utm_term=.kf27Ljn4#.qmqgVkd6

Wow!  That definitely is not the same Harry Potter-themed wedding my son went to!  Theirs was very low key on a shoestring budget, but awesome nonetheless.

I would have loved to go to (or have) the wedding from that article though!  That's amazing. 

• Love 1

Wow that feels so fitting for my weekend. My friend and I had a Harry Potter Marathon this weekend. It was amazing. But not as amazing as that wedding.

Truly, I forgot how much I loved Harry Potter. I knew I loved it, but this weekend just reaffirmed that I love HP for all the characters and deeper messages. It is both a literary masterpiece and teaches so many lessons.

@BkWurm1 they tended to deviate from the books around movie 4. However movie 3 really opened the door, because they allowed the director to be more expressive with his interpreatation. And then when the books became far longer to translate into a 2hr movie, they defnitely cut out too much from the books. Book 6 was my favorite of the novels and they took way too much poetic license with that movie. I guess as a movie, it is good - but as someone who loved the book, it broke my heart that they not only messed with books but had the gall to write their own original scenes, while leaving so much from the books out. They really should have made book 6 into two movies, they definitely would have had the audience to go to more movies.

That all being said, the World of Harry Potter is wonderful to experience in any form - novels, films, plays, amusement parks and now clearly weddings :)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

To prove that Kate Beckinsale wasn't making up the Michael Bay comments, here's one of his 2001 interviews in connection with promoting Pearl Harbor.  I don't know which comment I find more offensive - that Kate Beckinsale and Kate Winslet aren't very beautiful, or that he believes that women are "disturbed" by beautiful women...

Michael Bay: Bay Watch
BY: MOVIELINE STAFF || MAY 1, 2001 08:29 PM EDT
http://movieline.com/2001/05/01/michael-bay-bay-watch/

Gods, he's an ignorant fuckstick. He must be getting some bad marketing studies if he really thinks that  women don't want to see other pretty women. We like good characters who are pretty too, you stupid shithead.

Holy hell. Kate Winslet is fucking beautiful.  We are not all jealous, petty etc. Oh and hey what about the lesbian-bisexual audience who are attracted to other women? Holy crap he's stupid.

• Love 6

Oh and hey what about the lesbian-bisexual audience who are attracted to other women? Holy crap he's stupid.

You really think Michael Bay cares about them? He barely cares about straight women, after all.

• Love 3

What a gross thing for him to say though--Kate Beckinsale is a beautiful woman.

That's already a dick move but, to make it even worse, Kate actually suffered from anorexia when she was a teenager.  There are a lot of directors/actors/writers whose work I'm not a fan of but who seem like decent people.  He is not one of them.  His treatment of the actresses in his movies is appalling and it's a shame that studios turn a blind eye because of the money he brings in.

• Love 3
On 5/28/2016 at 6:05 PM, EmeraldArcher said:

Are you and your guy engaged?

Nah, I'm just like a crazy white girl that sits on his laptop pinteresting wedding stuff until the wee hours of the morning.   But we are getting our first place together,  so that's something. 

45 minutes ago, kismet said:

@BkWurm1 they tended to deviate from the books around movie 4. However movie 3 really opened the door, because they allowed the director to be more expressive with his interpreatation. And then when the books became far longer to translate into a 2hr movie, they defnitely cut out too much from the books. Book 6 was my favorite of the novels and they took way too much poetic license with that movie. I guess as a movie, it is good - but as someone who loved the book, it broke my heart that they not only messed with books but had the gall to write their own original scenes, while leaving so much from the books out. They really should have made book 6 into two movies, they definitely would have had the audience to go to more movies.

That all being said, the World of Harry Potter is wonderful to experience in any form - novels, films, plays, amusement parks and now clearly weddings :)

Good god, the third movie was a damn travesty and they cut so much out that I don't think it even made sense.  Of course,  I wasn't that bothered by the sixth movie but it also was my second least favorite book.   So there's that.  But agreed,  all Potter is good Potter.

• Love 1

I've always thought the main problem with the Potter movies was Kloves being the main screenwriter (all but movie 5).  Movie 3 had the perfect aesthetic but it couldn't save a script that forgot to include the identities of the Marauders.  Of course, I'd embrace the poor screenwriting if it had meant the story ended the correct way.  I've seen movie 8 exactly once and never again.  That travesty of an ending.  Kloves and Warner Bros. completely missed the point of the final battle in the worst way possible.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Good god, the third movie was a damn travesty and they cut so much out that I don't think it even made sense.  Of course,  I wasn't that bothered by the sixth movie but it also was my second least favorite book.   So there's that.  But agreed,  all Potter is good Potter.

Interesting, the 3rd book is my 2nd least favorite book - so perhaps that is why it wasn't too bad for me. It made the story digestible without having to slog through the entire novel.  And for all of its divergences, movie 3 was a beautifully shot film, the imagery was just beautiful. Probably the prettiest of the movies.

Out of curiosity what was your least favorite of the Potter books?

For me the ranking goes most favorite Bk 6>2>5>7>4>3>1. I'm always kicking myself because if I had liked Book 1 better, I would have got into the books so much sooner. For me though Book 1 was just a well written children's book, it wasn't an amazing must read novel. I must have tried to read it like 5 different times before I just gave up. It was a decent foundation, but for me I prefer more than just some good groundwork.

4>3>5>7>1>6>2

honestly six should be higher up on the list,  it has everything I like.   Lots of Dumbledore.   Hermione being awesome.   Flowed great.   But then Dumbledore died and that was sad.   I'm not sure why it's so low. 

(edited)

Dumbledore dying was really sad. It caused a lot of heartbreak. But his funeral was touching and healed a little bit of the hurt for me. That was another way the movies failed was by completely skipping over his funeral. There should have been at least a few scenes dedicated to his funeral either in 6 or 7. I could have done with one less trio walking through the fields in movie 7, if it meant they put the funeral there even if it was out of order. Dumbledore was such a big part of the story and the reader's journey. Dumbledore was BIG and the movies failed so badly in movie 6.

As for why 6 is so low, perhaps it was the Weasley connection? I feel like 2 & 6 were very Weasley heavy. Whereas 4 & 3, I felt were more about Sirius or at Weasley neutral. So them falling at your bottom might be explained that way. My sister loved Sirius, and never understood why I his novels fell so low in my ranking. IDK, but I never really cared for him as much as other people did. It was sad when he died, but personally I always thought he was a bad influence for HP and he was way too obsessed with James and he confused HP for James way too many times.  

I however, absolutely loved every Weasley (except Percy), so anytime they got to be a bigger part of the story I was very happy. And I have to admit that I am glad JK decided to kill Sirius and not Mr. Weasley. I'm not sure I could have recovered if she had gone through with her initial plan and killed Mr. W in bk 5.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

I read 1-2-3-4 a bunch of times, but only read 5-6-7 once each. I remember I hurled book 5 at a wall at one point when Harry was capslocking, so that one is definitely the one I... *disliked*.

For me 7>6>5>4>3>2>1. I don't know if it's because the more books I read the more I became invested in the story and the characters..probably, LOL. Also I was a bit younger than the characters, but not much, so I think I liked every book because being around the same age of the main characters I could basically always relate to them..