Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

(edited)

dtissagirl, on 01 Apr 2016 - 1:24 PM, said:

I'm starting to think JRoth takes revenge on actors who get better paying jobs as regulars/leads on other shows, by killing their characters in the most tropey gross problematic way he can find.

Well he sure makes sure we know they are dead dead.  And to think, last year I was proud of them for killing off a dead weight character.  Now I'm pretty sure it was a happy accident and not about seeing what isn't working.  I'm back to my earlier premise that only the original cast has any shot of living to the end.  (Well, the ones still left) 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

I know nothing, but I'm 100% convinced Finn's death was ordered by the network.

Great, now I have to root for the Network idiots to take charge, lol.  When they are the ones that make the best choices, something is off with the show runner. 

(edited)

If there's one thing I learned from Veronica Mars, is that the network knows better than entitled douchebag dudebro showrunners.

Eh, I was good with season three, it just ended too soon to get rid of Piz.

I actually blame the network for all the tinkering and tweaks they made him make in season two and three which in the end created the most problems.  I'm loving iZombie so far.  No reservations at all.

Edited by BkWurm1

Oh yeah, forcing the show to have  Paris Hilton as a guest star was a great decision by the network. Or to stop having season-long arcs.

I see zero proof that Finn's death was mandated by the network.

So I just downloaded snap chat and I really don't get the point of it. It's what exactly? Instagram live?

I thought that the appeal of Snapchat was that the videos and photos you took would expire. But now people can take screenshots and reupload the videos, so I have no idea how it's different. The fact that you can put captions and draw on your photos, maybe? 

(edited)

I love snapchat, although I don't really know if anyone "gets" it. There's a lot of variety in how you can communicate: you can text, send a picture, send a video, use a filter, draw on something, etc. I also think it feels more personal since you can easily choose to share what you want with who you want, or send something to all your "story" which anyone who follows you can see. I can send a snap of me acting out all three parts to The Schuyler Sisters to my best friends, where as I would never post that on Facebook. It's quick, fun, and feels less manufactured than content on other social media to me.

Edited by Coop33
  • Love 1
(edited)

Well that was weird, weird, weird!!!!

So I was for once doing the sensible thing at 5:30 in the morning and sleeping when I was awoke by this bright light and I sat up thinking it was headlights pulling into my driveway.  It had me sitting up right away because the light was really bright and normally that meant someone had to be right up by the front of the house for it to be like that.  Suddenly the bright yellow glow transformed into a ball of intensely blue light THAT HUMMED.  Just as I was about to start freaking out,  it got bigger and louder and FLASH!  All the power went out, but the flash was bright enough for a second that I could see clearly across the street to the park and beyond across the lake to see that nobody had power (I would have at least seen all the large yard lights).  My first thought was that an electrical transformer had exploded, which has actually happened before but just a few seconds later and the power came back on for everyone which took more than a day to restore last time something happened (and no big hovering humming ball of light)  [Edited to add I verified with the power company that they did NOT have anything happen that could explain what I saw and heard]

So I did some Googling and quickly dismissing a UFO sighting, (lol) I think I witnessed something rare called Ball Lightning.  Normally it happens at the beginning or end of a storm.  After it happened, I went to the door I could hear the wind just loudly whipping around. But the sky was mostly clear and a half hour later the wind is dead calm.      

Weird!

Suffice to say I am not sleepy anymore.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 14

Glad you are safe.

So I did some Googling and quickly dismissing a UFO sighting, (lol) I think I witnessed something called Ball Lightning. Normally it happens at the beginning or end of a storm. After it happened, I went to the door I could hear the wind just loudly whipping around. But the sky was mostly clear and a half hour later the wind is dead calm.

Weird!

Suffice to say I am not sleepy anymore.

• Love 1

Glad your safe too! The weather is absolutely insane. In one week, my area has gone from about 30 degrees to 70 degrees and now we have snow planned for Sunday. Nevermind winds that could make you a never need another mode of transportation again with the right umbrella.

I do recall the meteorologists saying that they are expecting a lot of weird weather phenomena.

• Love 3

I'm glad your safe. Although having started watching X-Files my first thought would've been UFO. lol.

Nature is strange. We're getting snow right now. 

A few years ago where I live, the day looked fine then all of sudden it started pouring, the wind picked up and branches were flying around. It looked like a tornado, then I heard a loud booming thunder that rattled my house. Then everything just went silent. When I went to look out front window a bunch of trees had been uprooted, large trees, roots and all. Luckily no one's house or cars were hit, some were really close though. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm glad your safe. Although having started watching X-Files my first thought would've been UFO. lol.

A few years ago where I live, the day looked fine then all of sudden it started pouring, the wind picked up and branches were flying around. It looked like a tornado, then I heard a loud booming thunder that rattled my house. Then everything just went silent. When I went to look out front window a bunch of trees had been uprooted, large trees, roots and all. Luckily no one's house or cars were hit, some were really close though. 

Freaky! 

I definitely think we had some weird weather.  Last night it was about 40 degrees F when I went to bed and this morning around 7 am it was at 37 degrees F But between that the temp dropped so sharply that a can of pop out in the car froze (not solid or anything) and cracked open. There was also a dusting of the dry hard pebbly snow that you get when it's really cold.    Which melted when the sun came out but now the thermometer has dropped back below freezing. 

Edited by BkWurm1

Sounds like the micro burst that Chloe fobbed off on Lois as an excuse for Clark's barn door falling from the sky.  How very Smallville of you. 

• Love 2

Haha I'm also watching the X-Files so I was thinking UFO too. 

Waking up to snow in Chicago today was not fun. I guess mother nature missed the memo that April Fools Day was yesterday.

I'm a bit of a weather nerd, and have done some storm chasing. Storms can really be awe-inspiring if you know how to position yourself so you're out of harm's way. But I'm glad you're safe BkWurm1! I definitely think that was ball lightening.

Despite chasing, the craziest weather thing I've ever experienced was of course just at my house back in my hometown. In the summer of 2007 we had a derecho pass through, which is essentially a tornado in the form of straight line winds. Trees down everywhere, no power for 5 days.

• Love 3

I definitely think that was ball lightening.

Cool!  I'd barely heard of it before.

Despite chasing, the craziest weather thing I've ever experienced was of course just at my house back in my hometown. In the summer of 2007 we had a derecho pass through, which is essentially a tornado in the form of straight line winds. Trees down everywhere, no power for 5 days.

This is the kind of stuff that made people make offerings to calm the angry gods, lol. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Sounds like the micro burst that Chloe fobbed off on Lois as an excuse for Clark's barn door falling from the sky. How very Smallville of you.

The red/blue blur ran by my house and a UFO stopped by yours. Don't you love it when tv shows are real? Lol.

Waking up to snow in Chicago today was not fun. I guess mother nature missed the memo that April Fools Day was yesterday.

If you're in Chicago too, then we are talking about the same weather phenomenon.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

I think it was a few weeks back when I mentioned that Sleepy Hollow was getting better. I just finished watching last night's episode and, while I still think this season's been pretty enjoyable mindless fun, something happened that I'm feeling very wary about--

They brought back Betsy Ross to the present. Meh actress. Meh character

. We'll see how that goes. I did laugh at their little product placement of Ford's new SUVs, though. There was even in-show commentary about one of its features. Heh.

Also I think I'll delete The 100 from the DVR after this season is over. As much as I want to be free of it already because of all the many things that are making me side-eye it, there are still characters that I feel a little bit invested in, who are keeping me hanging on. Damn you, Octavia, Indra, Raven, and Abby/Kane! If I still watch S4, I might just wait and binge it. I feel like binging this show is better than waiting week after week when I'm left stewing on the problematic shit they pull.

Also I think I'll delete The 100 from the DVR after this season is over. As much as I want to be free of it already because of all the many things that are making me side-eye it, there are still characters that I feel a little bit invested in, who are keeping me hanging on. Damn you, Octavia, Indra, Raven, and Abby/Kane! If I still watch S4, I might just wait and binge it. I feel like binging this show is better than waiting week after week when I'm left stewing on the problematic shit they pull.

I watched the first two episodes this season week to week and then when I picked up a problematic vibe, I let the next five pile up. Binged it and thought, oh, the problems are exaggerated.   And now I'm back to being caught up and am having issues again.  Binging is probably a very good solution. 

^ I know! I was, like, come on?! That twist was so unnecessary. Unless,

Betsy Ross sacrifices herself or something and dies to defeat the Hidden One

then all right, I'll allow it. But I don't feel that confident about it. I feel like this has the potential to go Katrina drama-levels bad. Ugh. I really hope the new showrunners learned from the suck that was the Crane family drama and just stick with the Mills family drama, which is tons more interesting since I actually care about both Mills sisters.

• Love 3

^ I too hope we are rid of the problem by next week.  I mean they must know they are either getting cancelled or getting renewed to do this knowing how much the SH fandom hated Katrina. 

I am also mad they waited this long to give Mills Family Drama. Honestly, it should have replaced the little marital problems the two villains were having. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Reaching out to all the west coasters on the forum!

I am graduating college in May and am interested in relocating to the west coast (specifically SF/Bay area or Seattle), but I am also open to other locations in the US.

As you know I am majoring in Baking and Pastry and Food Service Management and have minored in Sommelier (so I know it all).

I know this is a long shot, but if anyone heard of any Pastry cook (doesn't have to be a restaurant, can be a bakery a chocolate shop, any thing!- except cake decorating) positions opening up I would love it if you share it with me! I am happy to send you a copy of my resume!

Graduation is less than 2 months away! Help!

Sincerely, from the bottom of my heart

ForeverEvolving!

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 3

I can send a snap of me acting out all three parts to The Schuyler Sisters to my best friends, where as I would never post that on Facebook.

Ha! I can only imagine how awesome that would be.

I saw Hamilton on Friday night, and I haven't stopped buzzing since. I bought the cast recording when it came out in October and I'm pretty sure I've listened to it every day since then. Between that and all the praise and hype, I was concerned about whether it would live up to my expectations, but it exceeded all of them. The entire cast was amazing, but I have to give a special shout out to Leslie Odom Jr. and Daveed Diggs. I paid slightly less than my monthly mortgage payment for the tickets (worth it!) and I would pay and equal amount just to watch Daveed Diggs perform by himself for two hours. He's incredible and draws your eye to him no matter who else is on stage at the moment. Also, props to Renee Elise Goldsberry for spending at least 25 minutes signing things and taking selfies with fans outside the stage door after the show. She was so kind and generous. I can't wait to see her last upcoming appearance on The Good Wife in a few weeks.

Bottom line, if you get a chance to see Hamilton at any point in the future, whether it's in NY, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, or a touring production, GO! You will thank yourself for it later.

• Love 5

I love Donna Lynn Champlin's performance and I really like Paula when she's focused on things other than Josh. But when it comes to Josh, she's a complete psycho, and she deserved to have Rebecca read her the riot act for what she did on Monday night's episode. I know she gave an explanation for why she's so obsessive about the Josh thing, but I hope there's more to it than that, because normal people simply do not act that way about someone else's romantic relationships.

Just read this! Oh, I love the performance as well. IT's just the character itself that comes off a little grating to me sometimes. The obsession for Josh went overboard, especially when we were seeing Rebecca really trying to do the right thing.

To change the subject, I just wanted to share that lately I found out a new pet peeve of mine: wrong use of punctuation marks. I swear my eye twitch every time.

• Love 1

Also, props to Renee Elise Goldsberry for spending at least 25 minutes signing things and taking selfies with fans outside the stage door after the show. 

Was the stage door totally nuts? I'm going in May and have been trying to decide if I want to brave the crowd. 

Just read this! Oh, I love the performance as well. IT's just the character itself that comes off a little grating to me sometimes. The obsession for Josh went overboard, especially when we were seeing Rebecca really trying to do the right thing.

To change the subject, I just wanted to share that lately I found out a new pet peeve of mine: wrong use of punctuation marks. I swear my eye twitch every time.

Yeah, that was my biggest frustration. After a season of wanting Rebecca to wake up and realize she needed to let go of Josh, I hated that just when she finally started to do that, Paula was trying to drag her back into it, like crabs in a bucket.

As for the punctuation, nothing bugs me more than the greengrocer's apostrophe. Apostrophes are for possessives, not plurals! I was on a message board last week where someone used "kid's" and "politic's" in the same sentence. I thought I was going to lost my mind. Politic's? Really?

Was the stage door totally nuts? I'm going in May and have been trying to decide if I want to brave the crowd.

It wasn't too bad. There were a ton of people, but the crowd dissipated the longer we waited. The only thing I'd caution is that most of the stars don't exit out the stage door. It seemed like most of the crowd was waiting for Jonathan Groff, especially since he's leaving soon, but he didn't come out. Renee and a couple of the supporting actors were the only ones who came out, though Leslie Odom Jr. came out of a different door right next to my hotel, so I got to take a picture of him, which was an awesome surprise.
  • Love 1

Yeah, that was my biggest frustration. After a season of wanting Rebecca to wake up and realize she needed to let go of Josh, I hated that just when she finally started to do that, Paula was trying to drag her back into it, like crabs in a bucket.

As for the punctuation, nothing bugs me more than the greengrocer's apostrophe. Apostrophes are for possessives, not plurals! I was on a message board last week where someone used "kid's" and "politic's" in the same sentence. I thought I was going to lost my mind. Politic's? Really?

I'm seeing the tilde sign(is it called that in English as well?) used instead of colons or commas, and I'm like..why? Why?? :)

^ I know! I was, like, come on?! That twist was so unnecessary. Unless,

Betsy Ross sacrifices herself or something and dies to defeat the Hidden One

then all right, I'll allow it. But I don't feel that confident about it. I feel like this has the potential to go Katrina drama-levels bad. Ugh. I really hope the new showrunners learned from the suck that was the Crane family drama and just stick with the Mills family drama, which is tons more interesting since I actually care about both Mills sisters.

I agree, I am very leery about them bringing her to the present. It has the potential to go even worse than Katrina, because at least w/ K they let her go bad ~ I cannot see them doing that with BR. The only thing I could think of is perhaps they want the comedy of another out of time person. But so far nobody has the charm of the actor that plays Ichabod. So that comedy only works in very small intervals without the right personality/charm, and the actress that plays Betsey only has enough to make a few scenes work ~ not even a whole episode. So we shall see. Perhaps they are setting her up for a sacrifice, but not even sure that makes it worth bringing her into the present. I hope it is not just another ship stall being Ichabod & Abby, because I think there are far better ways that Betsey Ross.

Their ratings are hemorrhaging, not sure about their online viewings but it doesn't look good for a renewal so I hope they find a good way to wrap this story up with a proper ending. I would hate for the writers to end it one way thinking they have another season, only to find out they are done. 

I also don't know why they had to have the other cast departure on Fri. That character wasn't my favorite, but I think the dynamic that duo had worked for me and provided some good B plots. So now with that character gone, I'm not sure how the B plot gang is going to fare since those 2 were the only ones the had chemistry, the other female brings nothing quality to the table. And the other guy I think is too untested interacting with the B plots.

• Love 1
(edited)

So I did some Googling and quickly dismissing a UFO sighting, (lol) I think I witnessed something rare called Ball Lightning.  Normally it happens at the beginning or end of a storm.  After it happened, I went to the door I could hear the wind just loudly whipping around. But the sky was mostly clear and a half hour later the wind is dead calm. 

Ball Lightning, I can't help but think of the television show Titus when I hear that.

Opening day of baseball today, Yankees first game is tomorrow (Let's go Yankees!) and it's Wrestlemania tonight (go Becky!), great time of year.

Edited by Jediknight

IT's just the character itself that comes off a little grating to me sometimes. The obsession for Josh went overboard, especially when we were seeing Rebecca really trying to do the right thing.

I found I was sympathetic to the crazy lengths Paula went because of the very reason that Paula later gave.  She wasn't doing anything different than she'd been doing all season long. (Which is what I kept screaming at Rebecca as she went along, oblivious that Paula was still gung ho)  I felt awful for Rebecca, finally making peace but having that accord blow up was still IMO her own fault for having encouraged such behavior in Paula all along.  I was bracing myself to be uncomfortable (and the confrontation in the bridal store was . Yikes!) but the fight between Rebecca and Paula felt honest.  I was fine with Paula being yelled at but also thought her justification was fair.  How was she supposed to know that THIS time Rebecca REALLY meant it?  Or maybe I'm just hardened to interpersonal conflicts these days.  I also didn't think Felicity had said anything mean to Oliver in Broken Hearts, lol.

I'm seeing the tilde sign(is it called that in English as well?) used instead of colons or commas, and I'm like..why? Why?? :)

Ok, that's just making crap up.  I might as well use a ^ or a % to start a list.  I had to look up what a tilde sign was and on this board it won't even let me make one.  Why or why would anyone use a wavy line in place of a colon let along a comma??? 

I found I was sympathetic to the crazy lengths Paula went because of the very reason that Paula later gave. She wasn't doing anything different than she'd been doing all season long. [...](I was fine with Paula being yelled at but also thought her justification was fair. How was she supposed to know that THIS time Rebecca REALLY meant it? Or maybe I'm just hardened to interpersonal conflicts these days. I also didn't think Felicity had said anything mean to Oliver in Broken Hearts, lol.

Ok, that's just making crap up. I might as well use a ^ or a % to start a list. I had to look up what a tilde sign was and on this board it won't even let me make one. Why or why would anyone use a wavy line in place of a colon let along a comma???

Yeah, in fairness she had no way to know Rebecca meant it:) I just hope that was the last of it.

As for the tilde, I don't know. It's especially frustrating as a non-native speaker, because it really gives me a hard time in understanding what they want to say. Then I realize it's meant as a pause, and I'm like ISN'T THAT WHAT COMMAS ARE FOR?phew. /rant over.

Yeah, in fairness she had no way to know Rebecca meant it:) I just hope that was the last of it.

As for the tilde, I don't know. It's especially frustrating as a non-native speaker, because it really gives me a hard time in understanding what they want to say. Then I realize it's meant as a pause, and I'm like ISN'T THAT WHAT COMMAS ARE FOR?phew. /rant over.

Agreed on both things!  If Paula still goes behind Rebecca's back, it wouldn't be fun at all. 

Do the little wavy lines even have an official purpose in the English language?  I've always wondered why it was on my keyboard. 

• Love 1

Agreed on both things! If Paula still goes behind Rebecca's back, it wouldn't be fun at all.

Do the little wavy lines even have an official purpose in the English language? I've always wondered why it was on my keyboard.

I think the wavy line is used as a symbol for "approximately". Like, "There are ~50k posts in the spoiler thread"
  • Love 2

Ball Lightning, I can't help but think of the television show Titus when I hear that.

Opening day of baseball today, Yankees first game is tomorrow (Let's go Yankees!) and it's Wrestlemania tonight (go Becky!), great time of year.

Lol im rooting for Becky tonight as well!

Hoooo boy, don't even get me started SH. LOL...I am hanging on to my beloved Ichabbie ship...with fingernails. And I'm so sick of Busty Ross. Danny can die in a fire too.  But mostly I just want all the BSC stuff and to give me all the Ichabbie. 

I posited a theory on the SH forum that I would love it if our Washington was a doppelganger Washington. I do love me some Pandora though! 

ALSO  HAPPY OPENING DAY!!! It's my High Holy Day since I worship at the altar of Baseball. LOL

• Love 2

ALSO  HAPPY OPENING DAY!!! It's my High Holy Day since I worship at the altar of Baseball. LOL

You can't say that and not reveal your team affiliation! :)

As a Giants fan, I am both anxious and eager about this season. It's an even numbered year ;)

• Love 1

I'm waiting for a flight back East from AZ and, I don't want to be spoiled for The Walking Dead so I can't go to thar board. I know a few people here watch the show.

No spoilers but can someone just let me know if it was a clifhanger or definitive season ending? Thanks!