Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I wonder if we'll hear much about Arrow from now til the finale? Hopefully he has a con or two planned between now and then.

I don't think he did plan anything what with TMNT and everything. *sigh* TMNT is the worst already :p

Career wise, I'm not sure I understand it.

Yeah its a paycheck and will probably be a hit, but I'm not sure the logic in terms of helping his long term career. SA is a good actor. I would think it would be a smarter choice to go after projects with more substance and work with people that have more cred in the industry.

Frankly, what EBR did with Brooklyn. Yes it was just a small part, but its a nice movie to have on your resume.

• Love 2

Career wise, I'm not sure I understand it.

Yeah its a paycheck and will probably be a hit, but I'm not sure the logic in terms of helping his long term career. SA is a good actor. I would think it would be a smarter choice to go after projects with more substance and work with people that have more cred in the industry.

Frankly, what EBR did with Brooklyn. Yes it was just a small part, but its a nice movie to have on your resume.

I think EBR can afford to do a movie like Brooklyn, whereas SA doesn't really have that luxury. I also think that maybe TMNT will help get his foot through the door to other movies because it IS a starring role. I have a feeling Hollywood puts a lot of weight on whether one has a lead role or not... Why else would KC fight so hard to get her lead role back by constantly trying to get back into the love interest role? Hmmm

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 2

I don't really get the impression that Stephen values his art above his paycheck. I imagine part of that is having a family to support and paying the mortgage for his multiple multi-million dollar homes. I think he enjoys acting and really likes the challenge of it, but I don't sense that he aspires to greatness. A lot of actors are just happy to get whatever work they can.

• Love 3

Yeah, I don't think he's looking for a diverse resume, he just probably wants to be an action star. And I think a lot of the roles he was getting either fell through or were delayed to the point where he decided to take a sure thing instead. I didn't get the impression that anyone was knocking down his door.

• Love 6

He is also 35. 

Does the whole age thing affect the men in the industry? I know 30 is the cutoff age for a lot of women in Hollywood, but for men, especially if they age like fine wine, (and SA seems like the kind of guy who ages well) I'm not quite as sure...

• Love 2

Yeah the age window for male action stars has gotten a whole lot wider (I don't even want to know how old Harrison Ford currently is) but they still have to hire you. TMNT will get his name out to the wider populace, at least for a little while and even if the movie is a joke, if he does his part well, people will notice and maybe look deeper into what he can do as an actor. He's had some great stuff in Arrow but you have to get someone interested enough to check you out and it's not like the CW remembers to promote the show anymore.

I guess that is one big benefit to crossovers and spin offs, because of them, even when it's the other shows getting promoted, they can never completely forget the existence of Arrow.

• Love 3

I'm so jealous of you all that get to watch Daredevil.  I would like to see it, even if it completely sucks. I'll just be over here waiting for them to release a DVD some day.

Anyone watch Black Sails?  I'm kind of disappointed by something that happened this week, and I don't even really like the character all that much.  It's a weird feeling.  

Well, for me, my wifi, due to geographical location won't support streaming. It has nothing to do with speed or power, just topographical location.

Same for my cell phone. I have to go down to my drive way a ways to get a reliable signal. I don't even live in a canyon or anything, just an oddly graded hill.

Edited by BkWurm1

Yeah, I don't think he's looking for a diverse resume, he just probably wants to be an action star. And I think a lot of the roles he was getting either fell through or were delayed to the point where he decided to take a sure thing instead. I didn't get the impression that anyone was knocking down his door.

One of his statements I most appreciate is his answer to why did he want to play the Arrow. It was something along the lines of, "I wanted a job." It felt really honest to me and it makes me think you're right on the money. 

• Love 4

One of his statements I most appreciate is his answer to why did he want to play the Arrow. It was something along the lines of, "I wanted a job." It felt really honest to me and it makes me think you're right on the money. 

Once I asked Harry Shearer (of Spinal Tap, The Simpsons) why he was on Dawson's Creek, which I loved but wasn't exactly high story telling. He told me it was because they offered it to him. That's when I learned that the majority of actors just want/need to work and aren't all highbrow about what type of job they'll take. It's always stuck with me since I'd read so many interviews with actors who are so concerned with the craft. I'd forgotten that they have to pay the bills, too.

• Love 2

I know there are some Angel/Buffy peeps here...and I just have to share this because I'm kind of freaking out ...

For some random reason Juliet Landau aka Drusilla....has started following me on Twitter....LIKE WTF. And I'm not even following her!   O_O

I suspect it's just a random auto-follow thing but why follow me when I'm not following her...LOL

I don't really like the lead character of Mr Robot but I've only seen 1 episode. I think the trope of angry, misunderstood, socially maladjusted, male genius just tires me out nowadays.

Don't give up on Mr. Robot...no spoilers...it goes a direction that I did not see coming. I love the series.

• Love 2

I decided to give Daredevil another try. I got stuck on episode 3 last year because I just didn't care what happened next (unlike Jessica Jones which I burned through so fast). I'm now on episode 7. Still don't care tbh. LOL. It's slow going. I hope s2 is better.

I watched Daredevil but other than one fight scene, I literally can't remember squat about what happened.

But Jessica Jones? I remember all of it. 

I watched Daredevil but other than one fight scene, I literally can't remember squat about what happened.

I think being able to remember the storyline has to count for something.  There are shows that I know I thought were high quality that I no way could summarize what had happened except in the broadest of strokes but then like with Arrow, you give me the episode number or title and I could lead you through every friggen detail. 

• Love 5

I think being able to remember the storyline has to count for something.  There are shows that I know I thought were high quality that I no way could summarize what had happened except in the broadest of strokes but then like with Arrow, you give me the episode number or title and I could lead you through every friggen detail. 

Right? That's how am about Supernatural and Battlestar Galactica. I'm a little less so on Arrow now, but honestly...like Narcos? I remember that whole thing and how it made me feel and that it was disturbing.  But Daredevil just didn't stick with me at all. Sense8 stuck with me much more.

I guess it just depends on what catches my interest. So weird.

• Love 1

Does the whole age thing affect the men in the industry? I know 30 is the cutoff age for a lot of women in Hollywood, but for men, especially if they age like fine wine, (and SA seems like the kind of guy who ages well) I'm not quite as sure...

George Clooney became world famous in his mid 30's.. and we can all agree that like SA he aged like fine wine.

I wish SA would aspire to a bit more like GC in terms of his projects. I don't think Clooney is a great actor like some other, but what he lacks in diversity he makes up for in smart script picking (even if his movies aren't always blockbusters, he is regarded high in the industry because he chose smart role and he played the hollywood game smartly).

SA isn't doing it, and while his situation is different than Clooney- the lead of a show as opposed to part of an ensemble on the #1 rated TV show, and has a kid which clooney didn't and still doesn't- he can still make it work he just needs to chose better scripts!

Edited by foreverevolving

TMNT was a decent career choice considering his age and talent. I think he is a good actor, but clearly not many movie projects are knocking on his door. If the movie does decently in the box offices, most people will overlook the fact that it will most likely be a poorly written action flick. And if he does well in his role, than it will probably all be good for him.

I think its his next project that will be more the litmus test for how his movie career will go. He's not dumb, he's an actor on a CW action drama in its 4th season that is steady in its ratings, but not getting a new audience or any critical acclaim. So if he is offered a major motion picture that is guaranteed to actually open in the theaters he would've been dumb to pass on it. Especially if it also helps expand his con audience. Indy flicks are great but they don't have a consistent track record of expanding a career.

I hope he chooses more varied & sophisticated projects in the future. But until then I'm just glad he's booking projects outside of Arrow, esp films.

• Love 2

I've been catching-up on the pile of season 3 episodes on my DVR of Sleepy Hollow the past few weeks and man, it has gotten sooo much better since they got rid of Crane's family. I'm loving the renewed focus on Abby (and Jenny) and some of the MOTW have seriously been creepy, which is awesome. That Crane family drama really dragged the show down last season. I'm kinda hoping they get to have a season 4 now but from what little of it I've read online, the ratings aren't too hot this season. It'd be such a shame to lose the show now that they've finally gotten back on track.

• Love 3

I think its his next project that will be more the litmus test for how his movie career will go. He's not dumb, he's an actor on a CW action drama in its 4th season that is steady in its ratings, but not getting a new audience or any critical acclaim.  So if he is offered a major motion picture that is guaranteed to actually open in the theaters he would've been dumb to pass on it

I'm curious if this project he's working on with Robbie will actually make it into theaters. 

Same.

Daredevil update: I'm now on episode 8...of s1. LOL. That's how slow going this is. I think I might just have to give up. I'm just bored. 

@kismet you have a point. I just think that there had to have been a better project out there for him to chose from.. even if it meant doing a bit of begging.

While the turtles are bound to be a somewhat box office success, it may just label him as nothing but an action/comics star and if the script will be shitty that will make it even even harder to work out of. honestly if I were his agent i'd ban him from auditioning to any action roles! and try and get him through the door to a semi indy movie with a couple of A listers- something that might not make a shit load of money but will get people working on the movie to notice him, even if that meant only being there in a supporting role but build him up as a character actor.
But I'm not in the business so what do I know?

@kismet you have a point. I just think that there had to have been a better project out there for him to chose from.. even if it meant doing a bit of begging.

While the turtles are bound to be a somewhat box office success, it may just label him as nothing but an action/comics star and if the script will be shitty that will make it even even harder to work out of. honestly if I were his agent i'd ban him from auditioning to any action roles! and try and get him through the door to a semi indy movie with a couple of A listers- something that might not make a shit load of money but will get people working on the movie to notice him, even if that meant only being there in a supporting role but build him up as a character actor.

I don't think Turtles will typecast him because he has a resume that's quite varied before Arrow.

He's done Private Practice, Hung (male hooker), Heartland.

It seems to me the indy movie route can really pay off but it's a slower road for sure and probably more emotionally demanding (assuming he'd go for drama).  With just the summer off, it's a tough choice to make. 

George Clooney became world famous in his mid 30's.. and we can all agree that like SA he aged like fine wine.

I wish SA would aspire to a bit more like GC in terms of his projects. I don't think Clooney is a great actor like some other, but what he lacks in diversity he makes up for in smart script picking (even if his movies aren't always blockbusters, he is regarded high in the industry because he chose smart role and he played the hollywood game smartly).

SA isn't doing it, and while his situation is different than Clooney- the lead of a show as opposed to part of an ensemble on the #1 rated TV show, and has a kid which clooney didn't and still doesn't- he can still make it work he just needs to chose better scripts!

One of Clooney's first movie roles, if not the first, after he broke big with ER was in Batman and Robin. So there is that. That being said, I don't see SA following the same trajectory.

Ryan Reynolds is currently Deadpool, Jeremy Renner became Hawkeye after two  Oscar nominations, Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch, two of the best actors of their generation, were in Marvel and Star Trek movies respectively, Mark Ruffalo (3 Oscar nominations and an Emmy win) plays Bruce Bannister, and Robert Downey Jr., who can basically greenlight any movie with just his name, got his greatest fame playing Iron Man.  Ian McKellen, a great Shakespearian actor, is also Magneto and Gandalf.  The line between art and popular culture is gone.

I think SA is playing it smart -- getting a role in a big name comic book movie and hopefully leveraging that into films he wants to make.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 8

Ryan Gosling is currently Daredevil, Jeremy Renner became Hawkeye after two  Oscar nominations, Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch, two of the best actors of their generation, were in Marvel and Star Trek movies respectively, Mark Ruffalo (3 Oscar nominations and an Emmy win) plays Bruce Bannister, and Robert Downey Jr., who can basically greenlight any movie with just his name, got his greatest fame playing Iron Man.  Ian McKellen, a great Shakespearian actor, is also Magneto and Gandalf.  The line between art and popular culture is gone.

I think SA is playing it smart -- getting a role in a big name comic book movie and hopefully leveraging that into films he wants to make.

Ryan Gosling is not playing Daredevil

Oops, corrected that. I think I need sleep.

Yeah, but all those you listed came to the comics action /after/ getting the recognition..not before :)

Do you think that being in Turtles at this stage in his career with typecast him away from dramatic roles?  He did do that Richard Attenborough film Closing The Ring with Christopher Plummer and Shirley MacLaine.

I think if he keeps his name in front of the casting agents while doing small films that show his range, he'll do okay.

Do you think that being in Turtles at this stage in his career with typecast him away from dramatic roles?  He did do that Richard Attenborough film Closing The Ring with Christopher Plummer and Shirley MacLaine.

No idea :) Hope it works for him anyway. And that one day he'll be in something I'll be able to watch, haha - TMNT doesn't appeal to me at all, as much as I loved the cartoons as a kid.

• Love 2

I don't think being in TNMT will typecast him anymore than him being on the CW. At least people will see the movie. And if it's a flop, it most likely can't be blamed on him. Where depending upon the Indy film a lot of its success & failure can be blamed on the acting.

And it's great to think that SA may attract A list attention. But honestly, he's probably a few tiers below A list actors projects. He's not an up & coming star. And he's not a breakthrough star. He's a TV actor that nailed a pretty profitable franchise, Even if it typecasts him for a bit, at least he'll be known as a movie actor. And once he's known as a movie & TV actor he can have a better selection of films to choose from.

• Love 2

Just woke up to the news of the attacks in Brussels and I'm horrified and saddened. Hope people are safe and getting the help they need. I wasn't sure if anyone on this forum was affected by this incident. So awful.

• Love 4

Mark Ruffalo (3 Oscar nominations and an Emmy win) plays Bruce Bannister,

Bruce Banner.

Come on guys, you mention Clooney, but don't mention one of his earliest roles?  He was in Return of the Killer Tomatoes.

• Love 2

Oops, corrected that. I think I need sleep.

Do you think that being in Turtles at this stage in his career with typecast him away from dramatic roles? He did do that Richard Attenborough film Closing The Ring with Christopher Plummer and Shirley MacLaine.

I think if he keeps his name in front of the casting agents while doing small films that show his range, he'll do okay.

He was so bad in Closing the Ring though that he said they had to have someone else come in and dub his lines, haha.

I think SA would probably love to be an action star, and probably wasn't worried so much about typecasting here. He said himself that he spent his previous summer on vacation because something like 3 movies he had lined up all fell through. Those must've been small parts for him. I think at this point in his career, he'll take the movie that's a sure thing for production over one that isn't, and if that happens to be a probable summer blockbuster, all the better. It'll be interesting to see what his next pick is - if he has anything lined up after Turtles promotion.

• Love 3

Shit. I thought I was out. I thought I was clean.

And here I am, wasting an hour reading metas, watching gifsets and even - gasp! - reading fanfic. Instead of, you know, working. Or watching new episodes of freaking four of my shows that were out yesterday (and I really love 3 of them, to boot). 

Damn you, shipping, damn you to hell.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 3

I think SA would probably love to be an action star, and probably wasn't worried so much about typecasting here. He said himself that he spent his previous summer on vacation because something like 3 movies he had lined up all fell through. Those must've been small parts for him. I think at this point in his career, he'll take the movie that's a sure thing for production over one that isn't, and if that happens to be a probable summer blockbuster, all the better. It'll be interesting to see what his next pick is - if he has anything lined up after Turtles promotion.

He really seems to be a pragmatist first and foremost. There's a roundtable with him, Joshua Jackson, Lucy Liu and Ginnifer Goodwin from 2012 I believe in which his attitude was what's the problem with being typecast? It means your successful in what you do, the audience recognizes you and shows up to see you in your project and you get cast.

Just woke up to the news of the attacks in Brussels and I'm horrified and saddened. Hope people are safe and getting the help they need. I wasn't sure if anyone on this forum was affected by this incident. So awful.

Unfortunately, the news isn't good. So far 11 dead and over 80 wounded.

• Love 1

Being typecast has done wonders for Michelle Rodriguez's career. She's been working steadily for years playing the tough girl in almost every movie. 

It's good to branch out and show range if that's what the actor wants, but sometimes just like us it's about the paycheck and if the fans follow you to each project you are doing something right. 

Any lawyers here, avert your eyes.

They suck ass.

I'm a court appointed interpreter and have just received an envelope from the State Attorney's Office demanding translation of 60 pages of documentation within 2 days. This following a hearing held 13 days ago when the deadline was 15 days. Assholes. It's an impossible task to accomplish even if I had nothing to do the next two days, which I already have booked.

• Love 4

If I thought TMNT would put his name out there, I could understand it. But I think he is just going to be that 'Pretty Boy CW Actor.' I don't think it's a role that's going to open a lot of doors for him.

I could be wrong though.

FYI, Lucas Till has been cast as the new tv MacGyver...

CBS Finds Its New 'MacGyver' in 'X-Men' Star
MARCH 21, 2016 11:45am PT by Lesley Goldberg
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/macgyver-lucas-star-cbs-pilot-877109

mcgyver.jpg

I don't know about that...

• Love 1

One of Clooney's first movie roles, if not the first, after he broke big with ER was in Batman and Robin. So there is that. That being said, I don't see SA following the same trajectory.

B&R came out in June 97, his first big casting post ER premier was From Dusk Till Dawn with Tarantino than he did One Fine Day with Michelle Pfeiffer (both of which did fairly well- i don't think either were considered a flop) and than he did B&R.. so before he even got to the comic book movie he had been cast in two very! different movies under his belt, again both of which did pretty well in the box office: OFD made a total of 97,529,550, FDTD made 25,836,616 in the US (on a 19mil budget)

To be fair though Clooney had an average of 2 movies a year (he is well known to have split his shooting time between ER and whatever movie he was filming) from 1996 until very recently- he now has usually a movie a year (but he is also 50+ and can afford to be even more picky about his roles, since he is in many ways pretty much the top of the top of the hollywood food chain).

Bruce Banner.

Come on guys, you mention Clooney, but don't mention one of his earliest roles?  He was in Return of the Killer Tomatoes.

I think, like George, we all prefer to forget that part of his career.

Clooney related, I just found out today he has chosen to endorse Hilary; and while I prefer her to any of the Republican clowns running, I had hope he would endorse Sanders. :-/

Regarding what happened in Belgium... having grown up in a country where terrorist attacks are the norm those type of stuff don't shock me anymore. I'm actually a bit upset because when terrorist groups attack in the middle east no one says freakin anything!! but when it happens in Europe or the US suddenly the entire world has to mourn.

And while any life lost to idiotic extreme ideology is a tragedy, There is a part of me that is pissed off alot about this.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 2

I agree that there isn't enough attention paid to terrorist attacks in the middle east.

What I find so frightening about the attacks in Belgium is that they followed on the arrest of the last Paris terrorist (who was found in the suburb where he was born).    Three suicide bombings in reaction ..... it's the things you can't plan for, that the fanatical people do, that are especially scary.

On to shallower things.... I think I must be the only person who preferred Clooney's Batman to Bale's depressing Dark Knight.  And I'm going to stop posting when it past my bedtime. Yikes, those mistakes!

• Love 1