Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

As far as I know, Charisma Carpenter, told them in August that she was pregnant.  Her son was born at the end of March so she didn't tell them that late compared to when she actually got pregnant and when she probably found out/realized it.  It also had nothing to do with Contract negotiations, her contract wasn't up for renewal at that point.  

There was also a lot more going on at that point.  David Greenwalt (Angel show runner) left after S3 due to contract renegotiation issue with FOX.  He was replaced with a FOX person, someone outside of Wheedon's group  (Mutant Enemy), plus Tim Minear (Whedon's right hand man) didn't like or understand Cordy.  

So, Greenwalt sets up the S4 story at the end of S3, he gets fired, Minear/Whedon decide on a different story (Cordy as Villain), new guy comes in and has a different idea for S4, then new guy gets pushed out/quits (siting creative differences) and then Whedon puts one of his ME people in charge but by then Charisma tells them she's pregnant so they decide to scrap the "Evil" Cordy story (which they later gave to Fred/Ilyaria in S5) and spent the next 8 months punishing Cordy, Cordy fans and Charisma Carpenter for getting pregnant.

On top of that, they didn't want CC back for Angel's 100th episode, they wanted Sarah Michelle Gellar but, SMG refused so they went to Charisma.  Charisma agreed on the condition that they don't kill Cordy off, which they stipulated to.  Then when the paperwork was signed they're like oh by the way we're totally killing Cordy.

Now, all that being said, I have heard (after the fact) that Charisma had a bit of a drinking problem during her time on Angel but she had gotten cleaned up by S3.  However, apparently the surprise pregancy was apparently the last straw

• Love 7

I clicked with Angel much more than I did with Buffy straight off the bat. I stopped watching it though, sso I don't know about the BTS drama. Would appreciate a cliff notes version.

You should think about watching S5. It's really good, and kind of standalone. All you really need to know is that Angel agreed to head the LA branch of Wolfram & Hart in exchange for them leaving Connor alone with a new family, with everyone's minds wiped except Angel's. The mindwipe was a really convenient way to move past the shitfest that was S4.

On another note, Idris Elba has been cast as Roland in the Dark Tower. I saw Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey were cast, and I assumed McC was playing Roland. I'm super-excited to have been wrong. I'm sure he would have been fine, but Idris is going to kill it as Roland, and McC's inherent oiliness will be very interesting as the Man in Black.

I am kind of wondering what they'll do with Susannah, since a lot of Susannah's initial stuff has to do with her racial issues with Roland (she is from the 1960s, a social justice advocate with a dark side, and her dark side in particular is not a huge fan of controlling white men, which, in the books, Roland is).

Roland is my favorite fictional character, and I am furious with this casting, just furious. Nothing against Idris Elba. but he's just not Roland, at all. Although I wouldn't watch this movie anyway. The Dark Tower is a kind of story that is very unlikely to work on screen. Plus, I am way too attached to it emotionally to enjoy it. 

(edited)

Y'know... It's pet peeve of mine is when people talk about and judge a show like they know it, when they haven't watched said show in general or in a long while... I guess it's because I'm the kind of person who likes to know what I'm talking about before I talk about it.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 7

Y'know... It's pet peeve of mine is when people talk about and judge a show like they know it, when they haven't watched said show in general or in a long while... I guess it's because I'm the kind of person who likes to know what I'm talking about before I talk about it.

ITA. I've watched bad movies and TV shows and read bad books because I didn't feel right about snarking without giving them a fair shot first. (Hello Twilight and 50 Shades.)

I get that, and it's actually a fine line with me personally. I feel that everyone has a right to judge a show based on what they saw and what they feel about what they saw, like how people quit shows after pilots because they don't connect with the story/plot/characters/writing right off the bat. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of defining a show for everyone else by one's own small experience, or lack thereof. 

Then again, my only extreme annoyance for this comes from reviewers/interviewers who try to judge/summarize the show without a certain level of knowledge of what's going on. I'm not saying that they should be as knowledgeable as this board, but getting basic facts about what happens in a show or what people/fans think about the show wrong definitely annoys me.  

I just finished Fuller House. It's not perfect. But I wasn't a huge fan of the original. It's cute for the kids, if I had them, but subtle adult jokes that I've always got and enjoyed. But damn, Jodie Sweetin is killing it. She's awesome.

I just finished Fuller House. It's not perfect. But I wasn't a huge fan of the original. It's cute for the kids, if I had them, but subtle adult jokes that I've always got and enjoyed. But damn, Jodie Sweetin is killing it. She's awesome.

I gave up halfway into the first episode.. it was just painful to watch!

I gave up halfway into the first episode.. it was just painful to watch!

I can handle a lot of pain. I watch the most ridiculous shows, because I enjoy the mindless stupidity of some shows. Either to watch while drinking or just background noise. I spent a good portion of last week watching iCarly while I cleaned my house.

• Love 1
(edited)

I can handle a lot of pain. I watch the most ridiculous shows, because I enjoy the mindless stupidity of some shows. Either to watch while drinking or just background noise. I spent a good portion of last week watching iCarly while I cleaned my house.

Interesting I just crank the music up (some Eurodance or 90's beats)

Edited by foreverevolving

I usually have a pretty high tolerance as well but I found my limit a couple years back.  Ever tried to get through a show called Sam & Cat?  There is a reason why I can't stand Ariana Grande and it's not for spitting on other people's donuts. 

God I'm so disappointed in all this drama around The 100 this season, this was one of my most anticipated shows, but I've actually stopped watching some time ago and am waiting until the end of the season to binge. And now there's even behind the screen drama, too. Ugh.

I have already been disappointed by Agent Carter season 2 (another show the previous season of which I loved), if Bates Motel fails me I'll only have LoT and Limitless to love.

• Love 1

The pilot of Fuller House was awful, really really awful. The episodes after that were better. They toned down on making an exact copy of the original like the pilot was doing.

Having finished it, it was better than I expected it to be. A little more adult than the original was ever allowed. Stephanie was the highlight for me.

I kinda liked it that it felt like watching a dated 90s sitcom, with the terrible laugh track, and the punchlines, and the weird little kid that could either be in a comedy or The Shining at any given time.

Steve not so much.

Why was he so creepy? WHYYYyyy.

I usually have a pretty high tolerance as well but I found my limit a couple years back. Ever tried to get through a show called Sam & Cat? There is a reason why I can't stand Ariana Grande and it's not for spitting on other people's donuts.

I tried so hard because I think Jennette McCurdy is a hilarious person but no. No. I couldn't make it through more than two episodes.

Also, I'm so glad I'm not alone on the Steph love and Steve hate. Netflix must be happy with it, they already got their renewal.

I have no idea why they made Steve into a creepy stalker. He was making Kimmy's husband look like the sane one. And I hated him too.

I thought it was funny that what they mentioned with Stephanie, made Jessie look like a really tame bad boy by comparison.

I'm worried for Jodie Sweetin, hopefully she can stay sober and not fall back into old habits now that she's making money again.

Three things:

(1) I leave the tv on for my dogs in the morning, and when I get home Seinfeld is always on. Man those characters are terrible.

(2) Is anyone else worried about Daryl and/or Michonne, in terms of the Negan-ness of it all? I don't actively watch anymore, bc they killed too many horses, but I don't want them to die.

(3) I now have to watch Two Broke Girls, and I'm extremely unhappy about it. Ed Quinn, who played Stark on Eureka, and who I love, talked to me on Twitter, and he's on that dumb show. DAMNIT!

• Love 1

(2) Is anyone else worried about Daryl and/or Michonne, in terms of the Negan-ness of it all? I don't actively watch anymore, bc they killed too many horses, but I don't want them to die.

Worried about Michonne? Nope! Daryl, not really but maybe (if they want a super shocking death that might generate lots of talk and possible viewer backlash, that is). Maggie and/or Glen, definitely. Abraham, don't really care about him but he's the most likely death/the one Negan's probably going to kill (dude's been getting a lot of exposure, recently). I don't actively seek spoilers for TWD at all, though, but I do feel like they'll have a big-ish death for this season's finale. As long as Carol and Michonne (and Glen, too) are fine, I'm cool with whoever bites it.

Son of a Bitch. I'm so fucking done with the 100. So mad.

I never shipped anyone on that show but I feel really bad for Clexa shippers. I mean the way they

killed Lexa just after she had sex with Clarke was gross. Sort of like the writers were saying, THERE they had sex, now let's kill her off.

I'm sorry :((( 

The 100 is going to shit anyways what with all the BTS crap that's going on, so I guess now is a good time to abandon ship.

Worried about Michonne? Nope! Daryl, not really but maybe (if they want a super shocking death that might generate lots of talk and possible viewer backlash, that is). Maggie and/or Glen, definitely. Abraham, don't really care about him but he's the most likely death/the one Negan's probably going to kill (dude's been getting a lot of exposure, recently). I don't actively seek spoilers for TWD at all, though, but I do feel like they'll have a big-ish death for this season's finale. As long as Carol and Michonne (and Glen, too) are fine, I'm cool with whoever bites it.

Apparently the actress who plays Michonne got a Broadway gig. I want her to stay forever, but I'm a little worried. And re the Negan thing...the show has a tendency to do the big moments, but with different characters (see, e.g., "tainted meat"). I don't at all think it's necessary to kill popular characters, so I hope they, plus Carol, survive. 

I never shipped anyone on that show but I feel really bad for Clexa shippers. I mean the way they

killed Lexa just after she had sex with Clarke was gross. Sort of like the writers were saying, THERE they had sex, now let's kill her off.

I'm sorry :(((

The 100 is going to shit anyways what with all the BTS crap that's going on, so I guess now is a good time to abandon ship.

I'm not even a Clexa shipper. I ship Monty/Jasper Monty/Miller. But I love both characters and its just stupid. I said in the 100 forum, that after this and the behind the scenes drama I just really don't trust the show runner. I dont think he knows what he's doing.

And I'm so upset because this isn't an arrow show that I watched from the beginning. I got so into this show that I binged it all in two weeks and was so looking forward to season 3. I expect Arrow and Once to disappoint. I had such high hopes. I'm very depressed.

Apparently the actress who plays Michonne got a Broadway gig. I want her to stay forever, but I'm a little worried. And re the Negan thing...the show has a tendency to do the big moments, but with different characters (see, e.g., "tainted meat"). I don't at all think it's necessary to kill popular characters, so I hope they, plus Carol, survive. 

Oh yeah, yeah. I heard about that. But, AFAIK, Danai Gurira is the playwright and she's not starring in it. I think it's Lupita Nyong'o that'll be the star? Danai can certainly do both TWD and her Broadway gig. And, from what I've read online, wasn't it

Glenn that Negan kills/mutilates with a bat in the comics?

If they want a huge surprise switch then I can see Daryl in that place but I seriously doubt it because I've a feeling the show might lose a huge portion of their audience if they do that. Norman Reedus is extremely popular, maybe even more popular than Andrew Lincoln. I think Abraham will actually be the one that meets that other character's fate in the comics, though.

If it is Daryl, I'd probably be sad a little bit. Even if he's not my fave, he's entertaining and I like his bromance with Rick. I mostly just keep wanting him to take a bath and cut his hair, though. I do get your worry for Daryl and hope he doesn't die, too.

(edited)

The thing is that Daryl's story has pretty much amounted to nothingness since they offed Beth. I didn't ship them but their dynamic gave us some real character development for both characters. Since then it feels like Daryl's there "just because" so I wouldn't be sad if he died.

And yes, I do worry about Michonne now that Richonne has happened, but I'm even more convinced that Glenn is a goner given that they've given him two big close calls this season and

Negan does end up killing him in the comics.

. Given Maggie is pregnant I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see TPTB rip her husband away just to create more drama.

Edited by NumberCruncher
(edited)

Just watched this youtube vid of Kelly Clarkson's recent performance on American Idol - wow, what an emotionally devastating performance! (Song is about her father who abandoned her when she was a child and contrasting him with her husband who'll stay by her and their children)...

Kelly Clarkson Performs "Piece by Piece" - AMERICAN IDOL

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

What a beautiful and touch song. I was even getting a little choked up. I'm glad they gave Keith Urban additional close-ups because he looked so confused in his first one... and then of course he was emotional like every other person in the room.

I'm more worried about Michonne than Daryl but, I'm worried about both. Everything about Michonne 2 episodes ago was like a giant flashing neon sign, danger, danger. It was just too much to quick to be organic felt more like setup. I know people are going say hiw could it be too fast? But it was really odd to go from Rick/Jessie to full fledged Rick/Michonne a week later. I understand there was a month or 2 month time jump in show but it felt very jarring.

I'm a bit worried about Daryl and Glenn as well. I think Negan will kill one of them i just don't know which one. I think all of the recent Glenn fakeouts are a trap and they're going to have Glenn die at the end of the season.

Just watched this youtube vid of Kelly Clarkson's recent performance on American Idol - wow, what an emotionally devastating performance! (Song is about her father who abandoned her when she was a child and contrasting him with her husband who'll stay by her and their children)...

Kelly Clarkson Performs "Piece by Piece" - AMERICAN IDOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FHYBQxURQo

Amazing! Her, Carrie Underwood and David Cook are my top 3 winners of that show.

I'm more worried about Michonne than Daryl but, I'm worried about both. Everything about Michonne 2 episodes ago was like a giant flashing neon sign, danger, danger. It was just too much to quick to be organic felt more like setup. I know people are going say hiw could it be too fast? But it was really odd to go from Rick/Jessie to full fledged Rick/Michonne a week later. I understand there was a month or 2 month time jump in show but it felt very jarring.

I'm a bit worried about Daryl and Glenn as well. I think Negan will kill one of them i just don't know which one. I think all of the recent Glenn fakeouts are a trap and they're going to have Glenn die at the end of the season.

I can honestly say that I don't feel like the show is giving Michonne a death edit at all. I get the worry because Richonne happened (and every woman Rick has slept with died) but I still feel like she's safe. As one of the 3 main females that have been around the longest (Maggie, Carol, and Michonne), and who I think can carry episodes on their own, I'm not getting the same feeling that I got with Lori, Beth, or Andrea when they were given particular attention right before they died. That said, they do have about 5 more episodes left this season so there's still time, I guess. I will be very surprised and extremely sad if one of the deaths this season ends up being Michonne, though. I really don't want it.

The one I'm seeing a very clear impending death edit for, however, is Abraham. And, much as I hate it, Glenn. Maaaybe, Maggie too as, like, a swerve since she's pregnant (to sort of be a very soft parallel to what actually happened to Lori and her baby in the comics) and 'cause I dunno if the show is cool with 2 babies in the walkerpocalypse. Daryl is just there for me. I don't feel like he's being given more importance because he's always just been... there. So, I really can't tell whether there are hints that he may die this season. I just know Negan will be responsible for the death.

(edited)

re the Walking Dead...IMO if anyone is set up for death it's Rick not Michonne. He's come full circle with his life in the ZA. If Andy has a 6 year contract (no idea), this would be the final season of his contract. I'll quit watching if they do it, but I can see it.

Edited by catrox14

I'm still on the Glenn's going to die train that I've been on ever since he didn't die the first time.

I really do think all the fake deaths/near deaths are going to end the season with Glenn actually dying. I don't know how i feel about that. I cried when i thought he died in the alley but then I felt annoyed at the obvious cheat. Then i got even more annoyed when they made it look like he was Walker Chow in the Winter Premiere.

Under the category of "you can't make this stuff up", and for the lawyers, parents and teachers on this board:

A senior U.S. Justice Department official is arguing that 3- and 4-year-olds can learn immigration law well enough to represent themselves in court, staking out an unconventional position in a growing debate over whether immigrant children facing deportation are entitled to taxpayer-funded attorneys.

Jack H. Weil, a longtime immigration judge who is responsible for training other judges, made the assertion in sworn testimony in a deposition in federal court in Seattle. His comments highlighted the plight of thousands of juveniles who are forced to defend themselves each year in immigration court amid the surge of children entering the United States from Central America.

“I’ve taught immigration law literally to 3-year-olds and 4-year-olds,” Weil said. “It takes a lot of time. It takes a lot of patience. They get it. It’s not the most efficient, but it can be done.”
[snip]
I nearly fell off my chair when I read that deposition,” said Laurence Steinberg, a psychology professor at Temple University, who is a witness for the plaintiffs in the Seattle case. “Three- and 4-year-olds do not yet have logical reasoning abilities. It’s preposterous, frankly, to think they could be taught enough about immigration law to be able to represent themselves in court.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/03/04/us-judge-says-3-and-4-year-olds-can-represent-themselves-in-immigration-court.html