Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Aretha was amazing. Her voice and presence will be greatly missed.

Speaking from personal experience, liveblogging Arrow after taking an edible had become the high (no pun intended) part of my week. The earlier time slot this year is going to likely make that impossible except for a few occasions when I can get out of work early. 

• Love 2

Incase anyone is interested, the romcom: To All the Boys I've loved on netflix is really good. It really had a john Hughes vibe.

Also, Crazy Rich Asian was great. I read the books and still loved the movie.

• Love 5

Thanks for the heads up @JJ928

I was going to go on here and ask about To All The Boys I've Loved Before. Can't wait to watch it!

I met a man who kissed a cockroach today at the science fair.  Granted it was a giant rainforest one but still!!!!! He was also telling us not to kill the common roaches as they only come into the house for water and do no harm. Yeah it was an interesting day!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, JJ928 said:

Incase anyone is interested, the romcom: To All the Boys I've loved on netflix is really good. It really had a john Hughes vibe.

Also, Crazy Rich Asian was great. I read the books and still loved the movie.

I was pleasantly surprised by To All the Boys I've Loved. Netflix rom-coms are hit or miss. This one is really sweet and charming. Felt like a throwback.

I miss the rom com golden age. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, bijoux said:

Speaking of Netflix rom coms, I came across some Youtube clips of The Kissing Booth a while ago. Is the as bad and romanticizing abusive behavior as the clips make it seem? 

I did not like it all. It’s worse than those clips imo.

5 hours ago, bijoux said:

Is the as bad and romanticizing abusive behavior as the clips make it seem? 

Kinda. They hint that the main guy has major anger issues and then never follow up on it. Overall, I didn't like it, but my friend loved it, sooo...

I also just got back from Crazy Rich Asians, and I loved it. Great movie, and where do I find Gemma Chan other than in Humans? I fell in love with her. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 2

I LOVED Crazy Rich Asians - I saw it yesterday morning and went back and saw it again today. 

My only complaint was about

Spoiler

Nick not warning Rachel at all about what she was walking into with his mom and the rich folk clique. Made me want to punch his gorgeous face in, LOL - BUT I GOT OVER IT.

As for Netflix romcoms, I'm going to watch TATBILB tonight - so far the only other one I've liked is Set It Up (and saying I liked it is putting it mildly). I have a friend who loved Kissing Booth, and it surprised me - I watched it and thought it was kinda awful. 

• Love 1

@apinknightmare That part was so frustrating for me while reading the book, but I was ready for it when I watched the movie lol.

I'm hoping that CRA & All the boys I've loved both do well, and the rest of the books get films. I haven't read TATBILB, I don't ready much YA (nothing against it) but I may check them out now.

Really enjoyed Crazy Rich Asians. But yeah, I thought it was stupid of Nick to not give Rachel a heads-up. I understand not doing it earlier, but not even when they were flying to Singapore?!?! Also, I liked Henry Golding but found Nick kinda bland. He was just too agreeable, I guess. I found myself a bit more invested emotionally on Astrid. I now want to read the book. Michelle Yeoh continues to be queen!

• Love 1

@apinknightmare Astrid has more story in the second and third books than the first, for sure. But I wouldn't say it focuses exclusively on her. The second book is a big part of Rachel's story, but in the all the books, most of the characters get more focus. I don't know if you read the first one, but you do get POV from different characters in all the books. The story is always switching from characters & what they're going through, it's not only through Rachel & Nick's pov. The movie couldn't capture that obviously, but there is a lot of unexplored material there. I will say that the second book is my fave & I totally recommend it. But if you haven't read any of them, just know Kevin Kwan is verbose. Also, the casting for Astrid could not be any more perfect.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 4

I loved this article in Vulture about the mahjong scene. Not being familiar with mahjong, I knew I was there was much more to that scene than I was understanding. The explanation makes that already great scene even better. http://www.vulture.com/2018/08/crazy-rich-asians-mahjong-scene-explained.html?utm_medium=s1&utm_campaign=vulture&utm_source=tw

Also, here's another article about the biggest changes between the book and the movie. http://www.vulture.com/2018/08/crazy-rich-asians-the-biggest-changes-from-book-to-movie.html

• Love 3

I'm weird. My favorite movie of all time is "When Harry Met Sally," but with very few exceptions, I hate rom coms. Hate them. But, as noted above, I loved Crazy Rich Asians; and I just watched To All the Boys I've Loved Before andI really loved it too. So now I'm wondering if all it takes to make me love a rom com is an Asian lead character? I'll have to investigate further.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

I just watched To All the Boys I've Loved Before andI really loved it too.

I've watched it, like, 5 times already maybe? Maybe more? IDK. What I do know is that "There's no one like you, Covey" gets me right in the good spot. 

This and Crazy Rich Asians makes me want to sit down and write fun, romantic beach reads non-stop. Dreamy sigh. 

• Love 5

I hated Kissing Booth so I almost didn’t watch To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before because I thought it would be similar. Thankfully it was not. I loved it! Not as much as Set It Up but still thoroughly enjoyable and I’m just about to watch it again for the feels. I really hope they do a sequel! 

I just saw an article about TALBILB, and about how good it was. I might have to give it a watch!

Loved Crazy Rich Asians, it was a ton of fun, and made me want to check the book out, which I think is the real hallmark of a good adaptation. 

• Love 1

Did anyone else find the casting in The Kissing Booth kind of eww? Joey King looks 12. It got difficult to watch.

I think I’m going to read TATBILB. When a movie convinces me to read the book, it’s good.

This is random but I’m on a Harry Potter kick right now. Does anyone else think Noah Centineo would be the perfect James Potter in a prequel series?

1 hour ago, KenyaJ said:

So now I'm wondering if all it takes to make me love a rom com is an Asian lead character? I'll have to investigate further.

Let me do my due diligence and recommend Shanghai Calling, if you can find it. Daniel Henney is the lead, and it's about...who cares have you seen Daniel Henney? ?

ETA: One more - the cutest Asian lesbian rom com I've ever seen - Saving Face - which is currently streaming on Amazon Prime. 

Edited by calliope1975
10 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

I think I actually swooned.

Girl, me too. It gave me that butterflies in the stomach, twitterpated feeling I hope for in every romance I watch/read. A+ to the screenwriter (and Jenny Han too, if that scene was in the book). 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

I'm glad to see so many people like TATBILB. I hope get another movie. The cast was great (haven't read the books but I think I will), loved the sister bond, and how the love interest wasn't some toxic douchebag. 

• Love 1

I have to mention the boy next door Josh too! They handled him perfectly in the movie! I thought her friendship with him was so sweet! That could have been butchered and made ugly (refer to Arrow) but it was one of the sweetest things for me in the movie even though I didn't ship them or anything! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

Let me do my due diligence and recommend Shanghai Calling, if you can find it. Daniel Henney is the lead, and it's about...who cares have you seen Daniel Henney?

ETA: One more - the cutest Asian lesbian rom com I've ever seen - Saving Face - which is currently streaming on Amazon Prime. 

Thanks for the recs! I will definitely check them out. I'm especially can't wait to watch Shanghai Calling. I went there for the first time in December and completely fell in love with the city. A movie set upon that backdrop? I'm there.

Edited by KenyaJ
10 hours ago, Mary0360 said:

What about this though? 

LOL. I saw this on Twitter.

My entire TL is basically a Peter Kavinsky lovefest right now. 

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Is that first gif consensual? I ask beacuse mentions of The Kissing Booth reminded me of the icky ass grab in that one. If it is consensual, it's cute hot. 

Yes she told him as part of their rules he was allowed to hold onto her pocket. He was actually very confused by it. Super cute. 

The main cast guys in the movie are all pretty sweet!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, bijoux said:

Is that first gif consensual? I ask beacuse mentions of The Kissing Booth reminded me of the icky ass grab in that one. If it is consensual, it's cute hot. 

Yes. They fake date in the movie to start off with and she says she doesn't want to kiss him in public but for the sake of selling their fake relationship she'll let him put his back hand in her pocket because that's what they do in her favourite movie 16 candles.

Ive read about how problematic The Kissing Booth is but I actually thought TATBILB handled the male love interest really well without relying on the typical arrogant jock trope. 

keke The boys keep complaining my fridge smells off and I've been protesting that I keep it spick and span!

Checked today because it was kinda funky smelling and realised I'd left my durian in it to defrost! 

Ate my durian while I power voted for EBR! Now the whole study stinks! Heeeeeee

• Love 1

Arghhhhh Has anyone watched:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

It has Lily James in it and I usually like her! Plus it was such an awesome book!!!!

@calliope1975 I just looked up the trailer for Shanghai Calling! I didn't know who Daniel Henney was but he is HANDSOME!!!!!

Haha totally watching that!!!!!

Edited by Mellowyellow

How cool is this?

Speaking of people who fall outside of Arrow's target demo, I was in a sports bar last night, and three 50-something guys and one of their wives were discussing all the shows they've been watching lately. the wife mentioned Arrow, and her husband literally threw his hands in the air and crowed how much he loved Arrow and started telling his friends why they need to watch it. He encouraged them to also watch The Flash and the "League of Tomorrow." (LOL) He said that Arrow was the best show of the three. And then he went on this funny rif about how he'd never even heard of the CW until he started watching Arrow. 

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, KenyaJ said:

I have turned my nose up at every announced reboot, but I'm 100% here for this, as long as Jason Dohring is in.

I am in full on freak out mode! The constant reboots are certainly annoying...but more Veronica Mars! My very first fandom! My first first fanfic was a VMars fic! My first Save Our Show campaign was the original VMars campaign! The memories! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, KenyaJ said:

How cool is this?

Well, there IS an Oliver and a Felicity in the books, LOL (coincidence I’m guessing, considering when the first book was published, but who knows). 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Well, there IS an Oliver and a Felicity in the books, LOL (coincidence I’m guessing, considering when the first book was published, but who knows). 

I giggled at that while I was watching the movie.

I read TATBILB. It was disappointing. I didn’t find Peter nearly as charming. I’m here for the movie sequel (which why haven’t they announced one yet?) but I don’t think I’m going to read the other books.

Edited by Chaser